Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dramatic front pages as life for many is put on hold

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251

Chinese GDP down 20pc in Feb apparently.

Wouldn't surprise me if ours is down by more than that this year.
    Don't forget that more than 40% of UK gdp is government spending*, which will probably rise this year. That means that the private sector would need to see a close to 40% drop, which seems a bit high
    * Albeit some is transfer payments
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

Only be people who didn't understand what was happening. The British government was forecasting this shutdown all along when the time was right. Time is right now.
    And this is the trick that vultures like Stewart and John Ashton can jump on. They call for something they know is going to happen soon (as the government have essentially said they’ll do it), and then when they try to time it based on the data, they cry “we told you so, we were right all along”.
    Exactly.

CSO "We will need to lockdown, but its important we don't do it too early, its coming when the time is right."
    Angry fools: "Lockdown now! WTF don't you care?"

CSO "The situation is escalating. We will need to lockdown, but its important we don't do it too early, its coming when the time is right."

CSO "The situation is escalating. We will need to lockdown soon, but its important we don't do it too early, its coming when the time is right."

CSO "The time has come, we need to lockdown now."
    Angry fools: "Ha ha ha look at that u-turn!"
    Bollocks.
    While we on here were discussing China, and then Italy...
    Boris was laughing about hand-shaking, suggesting that “one theory was to take the hit”, and putting it about that Britain, unlike those silly-billies South of Calais, would be “following the science”.

Now, according to Kuenssberg on R4 this morning, the “science has changed”. Like bollocks it has.

It is now clear that the govt should have started communicating a strategy for social isolation about a month ago, with compulsory quarantine for those returning from China, and Italy.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. Charles, best wishes for you and your father.

thanks
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    FTSE heading south again.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    Just in case all the irony meters aren't already broken, we have Matt Ridley pomping on about reparations to finish the job.

https://twitter.com/mattwridley/status/1239627378307055616?s=20
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Had to log in via Vanilla.

A suggestion I have is that government regulations are eased.

For instance HMRC automatically dishes out fines and warnings if some forms are not submitted on time - that might not be possible for some people in the upcoming months.

Likewise some people might have trouble getting their car's MOT done on time.

Our MOT is due before the end of the month. Might be a challenge.
    Here you go:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1163318

MoT exempt and it's a slicktop AND a manual so it's a cast iron investment. I'd buy it myself but I've just bought another 944S2 motor and gearbox.
    ooh look, I found my very first car on the same site. In the same colour, Sundance Yellow. I loved that car, kept it until it was 25 years old. A shame it was such a rust bucket.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1172507
    And here is my first car, except it is a year or so younger. What isolation fun!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1140744
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    @Charles - I hope your dad is OK
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    nunu2 said:

Should I go to the gym today? 🤔 I mean we don't know how long this thing will last.

No. Absolutely definitely no. Coro-chan loves gyms. Do not go to the gym.

There are some exercise-minded people here who can give you exercising-but-not-at-the-gym tips.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,059

Just in case all the irony meters aren't already broken, we have Matt Ridley pomping on about reparations to finish the job.

https://twitter.com/mattwridley/status/1239627378307055616?s=20

Obviously forgotten the Opium Wars and the Sack of Beijing.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,524
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

For instance HMRC automatically dishes out fines and warnings if some forms are not submitted on time - that might not be possible for some people in the upcoming months.

Here you go:

MoT exempt and it's a slicktop AND a manual so it's a cast iron investment. I'd buy it myself but I've just bought another 944S2 motor and gearbox.
    ooh look, I found my very first car on the same site. In the same colour, Sundance Yellow. I loved that car, kept it until it was 25 years old. A shame it was such a rust bucket.

That's a bit pricey considering it's an Alpine not a Rapier and it's not original paint.

You should 100% buy it though.
    Mine was a Rapier. I'd love to, but don't have the wherewithal to garage it or look after it now.

I took mine to the beaches of the Med, and the west coast of Ireland. Attracted interest wherever it went, even in the 90s. It broke down several times but always near Luton on the M1.
    That's a cool first car. Mine was a 2CV Fourgonnette. I once drove it from university in Marseille to my parents' house in North Yorkshire for Christmas. I was on the road for so long it felt like the retreat of the Grande Armée from Moscow.
    Morris Marina 1.8 TC estate - laughingly marketed as the 'sporting' version.
    A pile of cr@p, and changing gear was a journey of exploration via the long handle gear-lever, but you could get it to four wheel drift (though you were more likely to end up going backwards at speed)...
    Austin A40. So much water poured through the windscreen that I had to take the plugs out of the floor. Had to start with a starting handle. Headlights eventually fell out due to rust but got them back with filler. 1965 car bought in 1974.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    edited March 2020
    Heartwarming to see that in these trying times BJ hasn't lost his famous sense of humour.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1239828692240662530?s=20
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Only be people who didn't understand what was happening. The British government was forecasting this shutdown all along when the time was right. Time is right now.
    And this is the trick that vultures like Stewart and John Ashton can jump on. They call for something they know is going to happen soon (as the government have essentially said they’ll do it), and then when they try to time it based on the data, they cry “we told you so, we were right all along”.
    Exactly.

CSO "We will need to lockdown, but its important we don't do it too early, its coming when the time is right."

CSO "The situation is escalating. We will need to lockdown, but its important we don't do it too early, its coming when the time is right."

CSO "The situation is escalating. We will need to lockdown soon, but its important we don't do it too early, its coming when the time is right."

Bollocks.
    While we on here were discussing China, and then Italy...
    Boris was laughing about hand-shaking, suggesting that “one theory was to take the hit”, and putting it about that Britain, unlike those silly-billies South of Calais, would be “following the science”.

Now, according to Kuenssberg on R4 this morning, the “science has changed”. Like bollocks it has.

It is now clear that the govt should have started communicating a strategy for social isolation about a month ago, with compulsory quarantine for those returning from China, and Italy.
    You're the one talking bollocks. Johnson said in that interview where the out of context "take the hit" remark was said that it was not right and not the plan. He was addressing people who were saying it, not saying it was our plan.

It was part of laying the groundwork so people understood why a lockdown would be necessary. I don't believe you are so stupid or ignorant to believe that Johnson was saying "take the hit" so I can only interpret that you're so partisan that you'd rather play politics with this.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,052

And yet the government allowed the impression to remain for several days that they were following a strategy of trying to reach herd immunity quicker, and that they were following very different strategy than our European neighbours. Which at the very least shows terrible communication.

FWIW, the policies announced yesterday by the UK government were portrayed by the news media here in Germany as a big change of direction, and an abandonment of the previous policy.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    nunu2 said:

Should I go to the gym today? 🤔 I mean we don't know how long this thing will last.

No. Running, walking, cycling, home calisthenics and skipping.
  • All Odeon cinemas are closed until further notice,
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    philiph said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Here you go:

And here is my first car, except it is a year or so younger. What isolation fun!

Wow. You're older than I thought.
    kamski said:

And yet the government allowed the impression to remain for several days that they were following a strategy of trying to reach herd immunity quicker, and that they were following very different strategy than our European neighbours. Which at the very least shows terrible communication.

FWIW, the policies announced yesterday by the UK government were portrayed by the news media here in Germany as a big change of direction, and an abandonment of the previous policy.
    No they didn't. Nobody [besides people like HYUFD here who make up shit and spout it as an authority] ever said herd immunity was a target and the Health Secretary days ago explicitly said it was not the plan. Forget about that?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1239630866554519552?s=21

A lot of anger from SMEs on the way the government’s announcement yesterday has hung them and their employees out to dry. If Johnson does not correct this - and fast - and not with some measly mouthed measures - he is going to lose a lot of those votes he will need later.

FTSE heading south again.

Its dropped back to the 5000 resistance level and is waiting for Boris to rescue us all with helicopter money
    edited March 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Don't forget that more than 40% of UK gdp is government spending*, which will probably rise this year. That means that the private sector would need to see a close to 40% drop, which seems a bit high
    Entire industries are shutting down. This isn't a recession it is quite literally a depression.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    edited March 2020

Exactly.

1) It is now apparent from the IC report that it was a mistake not to lock down immediately. We should have locked down immediately; the so-called "angry fools" were correct. The data from Italy shows that mitigation was not the optimum strategy after all. While people do make mistakes, it is simply wrong for you to claim that all is going to plan.

2) We still haven't locked down. My lad is at school today.
    IanB2 said:

philiph said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Here you go:

Wow. You're older than I thought.
    I'm 1954 vintage.
    edited March 2020
    philiph said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Here you go:

What isolation fun!

Maybe if there's a way of doing it, we could maintain lists of books, films, TV series, pieces of music (or split classical/popular), boardgames, computer games, and anything else we can think of - and each PB'er is allowed to make one nomination to each category.

Then when we are at a loose end we can peruse the list of our choice to make a selection

Edit/Or do a different topic each day and then archive the list on its own thread. Or something
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    edited March 2020
    dup post
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020

rcs1000 said:

Entire industries are shutting down. This isn't a recession it is quite literally a depression.
    Ameliorating the severe recession / depression will require very new policies.

Exactly.

1) It is now apparent from the IC report that it was a mistake not to lock down immediately. We should have locked down immediately; the so-called "angry fools" were correct. The data from Italy shows that mitigation was not the optimum strategy after all. While people do make mistakes, it is simply wrong for you to claim that all is going to plan.

School shut downs can make transmission worse not better.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Update from the two hospitals in Hampshire.
    Both are still incredibly quiet.
    Most wards are less than half full.
    Nurses have nothing to do.

Except look after my Dad in the HDU unit there, perhaps.
    Wishing him the very best.
    Thank you. It's touch and go at the moment
    Good luck to him and your family Charles.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,128
    Charles said:

Hope he gets well soon.

rcs1000 said:

Ameliorating the severe recession / depression will require very new policies.
    Agreed. We will see what the Chancellor says today. Another reason why rushing headlong into a shutdown without plans on how to ameliorate this is not smart, one assumes that the Treasury has been working out how to cope and that the Budget was the start not end of plans.

kamski said:

No they didn't. Nobody [besides people like HYUFD here who make up shit and spout it as an authority] ever said herd immunity was a target and the Health Secretary days ago explicitly said it was not the plan. Forget about that?
    I'm only reporting what was seen internationally by media, health professionals, several governments, and WHO all who expressed concern. They can't all be reading HYUFD's posts on PB. And they don't particularly have an axe to grind. Maybe you are right and they are all idiots, but in that case the government still failed to take into account the obviously very high number of idiots everywhere in how they communicated.

I'm sorry but you are starting to sound exactly like HYUFD.
    Good luck to Charles's dad and anyone else who needs it now.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012

New vanilla template sucks tbh.

I have yet to notice the difference

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:
    1. You're talking about an annual number. That means you need to see the private sector down almost 40% for the entire year. (And January and February already happened.) Given there will be a government response, that seems a lot.
    2. There are any natural stabilisers in the economy, such as oil imports.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see gdp down double digits in q2. But remember that economic activity should increase as lockdowns are lifted.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,539
    Miss Cyclefree, indeed. That's the key point. It should be addressed today.

Especially knotty are self-employed people whose job requires their on-site presence (plumbers, electricians, etc).
    malcolmg said:

New vanilla template sucks tbh.

I have yet to notice the difference
    Different on phone the same on laptop for me.
    edited March 2020
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:
    1. You're talking about an annual number. That means you need to see the private sector down almost 40% for the entire year. (And January and February already happened.) Given there will be a government response, that seems a lot.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see gdp down double digits in q2. But remember that economic activity should increase as lockdowns are lifted.
    1/3rd of 60% is 20% and we aren't see a 1/3rd drop in many sectors at the minute, we are seeing a 100% shutdown.

Shutting down 100% of many industries is going to see a large knock on effect.

This could be the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

EDIT: Having said that I'm not saying a 20% drop is what I'd expect this year, just I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. If I was to put my finger in the air and guess I'd say about a 10% drop is more likely.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:
    Yes. Q1 2020 is almost in the bag and all consensus is that Q2 will see a contraction. In betting terms on the US recession market the biggest risk is that Q3 sees an expansion as lockdowns are lifted and then Q4 the virus returns. To win the bet requires two consecutive quarters.
  • jayfdee said:

Well, having got back from Cyprus last night (on my scheduled flight as it happens) I looked up the Government's new social distancing advice, and find that, despite being a fit, healthy 55 year old runner, I'm going to be in the high risk group due to my heart murmur and the fact that it entitles me to a free flu jab. Obviously how much I social distance myself at the moment is up to me (but I ought to it). But if and when quarantine comes in I'll be under house arrest. Problem is, I live alone. But I don't "live" at home, my life is lived outside, in the pub, at running club meetings, parkrun, the gym. I have relatively little entertainment at home, I only have Freeview, no Netflix subscription, although I might have a few books I havent read yet. I am a Civil Servant though and not worried about the financial side. I think I need to set myself a target of being ready for lockdown by the end of the month. Bummer.

Try Audiobooks with a good set of headphones, I live on a relatively deserted bit of coastline, I walk every day or run, and use audiobooks when I walk, I intend to continue whatever the advice, I rarely see anyone down on the mudflats.
    I moved out of a city to a very rural coastal village a few years ago. I now realise that this was an epically good move. I had no outside space at all in the city, I have a large garden here with several nearby beaches that few people use. Loads of places to run, you'd never see another soul.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,536
    rcs1000 said:

Transfer payments are not part of GDP.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:
    1/3rd of 60% is 20% and we aren't see a 1/3rd drop in many sectors at the minute, we are seeing a 100% shutdown.

Do you want a small bet on 2020 UK GDP? I'll say down less than 15%, you say more.

edited March 2020

From Boris's Press Conference (see 35m20s onward) when we were told it was not desirable to stop people catching it

https://youtu.be/91jK9F_pTSU?t=2120
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    edited March 2020
    kamski said:

kamski said:

I'm only reporting what was seen internationally by media, health professionals, several governments, and WHO all who expressed concern. They can't all be reading HYUFD's posts on PB. And they don't particularly have an axe to grind. Maybe you are right and they are all idiots, but in that case the government still failed to take into account the obviously very high number of idiots everywhere in how they communicated.

I'm sorry but you are starting to sound exactly like HYUFD.
    Herd immunity for all but the elderly and vulnerable was also clearly the plan to avoid a peak in winter until the modelling showed pursuing it further from this week would lead to too many cases and deaths in the next few months so what I said was correct
    edited March 2020
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:

Do you want a small bet on 2020 UK GDP? I'll say down less than 15%, you say more.

15% would be pretty bad. That's Greece's combined total for the first three or four years of its financial crisis.

Especially knotty are self-employed people whose job requires their on-site presence (plumbers, electricians, etc).

They will need to carry on working. The government needs to do something like what Norway has done - if they are ill pay them their income on the basis of their previous year’s accounts.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:

15% would be pretty bad. That's Greece's combined total for the first three years of its financial crisis.
    And our government will be able up respond with increased spending, while Greece had to cut spending.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,858

From Boris's Press Conference (see 35m20s onward) when we were told it was not desirable to stop people catching it
    But nobody takes any notice of what Boris Johnson says, do they? He has lost all authority. Communications from the government should be made by trustworthy civil sevants.

Frankly it should have been addressed yesterday, as Macron did.

Today will show us if Boris and Sunak really understand the scale of what they are facing and are up to it. I fear not.
    edited March 2020

Watched from that time to when he hands over to the next speaker and he doesn't say herd immunity is a target. He says "its not possible to stop everyone from getting it" and its desirable to have "some immunity". "Some immunity" and "herd immunity" are two very different concepts.

He then goes on to explain why timing is critical and why they want to avoid closing schools for months and seeing children sent to grandparents who would be put at more risk.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:

EDIT: Having said that I'm not saying a 20% drop is what I'd expect this year, just I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. If I was to put my finger in the air and guess I'd say about a 10% drop is more likely.
    I am hoping we don't see more dying through knock on effects than through the virus. I wouldn't bet against it.

Watched from that time to when he hands over to the next speaker and he doesn't say herd immunity is a target. He says "its not possible to stop everyone from getting it" and its desirable to have "some immunity". He then goes on to explain why timing is critical and why they want to avoid closing schools for months and seeing children sent to grandparents who would be put at more risk.
    He said stopping people catching it was not desirable.
  • fox327fox327 Posts: 367
    Cyclefree said:

They will need to carry on working. The government needs to do something like what Norway has done - if they are ill pay them their income on the basis of their previous year’s accounts.
    Plumbers and electricians have to carry on working. Suppose someone is isolating and their toilet gets blocked or their electricity system blows a fuse or needs rewiring. How do you live with a blocked toilet, or with no heating or electricity so that you cannot place orders for food online?
    Running club has been cancelled till further notice.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:

I am hoping we don't see more dying through knock on effects than through the virus. I wouldn't bet against it.
    I think we probably will.

I also think that's probably the right thing to do. Because we will get fewer people dying than if the virus wasn't tackled.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    I'm hearing reports that the local town is busy as ever and the cafes are packed.

We gonna end up with enforced lockdown aren't we?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,539
    Miss Cyclefree, I agree with that point, but given where we are today the best thing that can be done is that it's addressed today.

Watched from that time to when he hands over to the next speaker and he doesn't say herd immunity is a target. He says "its not possible to stop everyone from getting it" and its desirable to have "some immunity". He then goes on to explain why timing is critical and why they want to avoid closing schools for months and seeing children sent to grandparents who would be put at more risk.
    For now until the lockdown comes which he goes on to talk about, which is not the same as avoiding herd immunity. Having a few people get it - and get over it - before the lockdown comes gives a small amount of immunity to get us started with.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    Isn't it summer(ish) in Australia ?

https://twitter.com/MackayIM/status/1239809779343605763
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure. But:

I don't say more no, I'm saying if more happens it wouldn't surprise me. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'd guess about 10% fall but would be less surprised with 20% fall than any growth.
    edited March 2020

kamski said:

I think your memory's playing tricks on you, and you're being needlessly mean to HYUFD who was doing his best to run with the herd. I saw the tweet from the modeler who clarified that *his* intention wasn't to create herd immunity, because at that time - not so very long ago - everybody here seemed to be assuming it was. Go look at this comment and read the previous threads.

OllyT said:

If the policy in the UK is to allow the virus to spread in order to get herd immunity then surely it makes sense to isolate those most at risk of dying.

Are we clear thst creating herd immunity is actually the policy? It seems like one of the boffins mentioned it but the people involved in making the model seem saying this is just an inevitable outcome, rather than the goal. Then a bunch of people who *support* the government seem to be jumping on it because it gives them a way to claim the delay and confusion was part of a cunning and brilliant expert plan, rather than the British getting knocked on their arses like everybody else without recent SARS experience.
    Yes it is the government position. It was first mentioned by a member of the behavioural insight team, but has since been confirmed by the two big egg-heads leading this. It definitely isn't just a Cummings lacky speaking out of turn.

UK's chief scientific adviser tells ITV News he hopes Government's approach to coronavirus will create 'herd immunity'

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-13/uk-s-chief-scientific-adviser-tells-itv-news-he-hopes-government-s-approach-to-coronavirus-will-create-herd-immunity/

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2754540/#Comment_2754540

I'm hearing reports that the local town is busy as ever and the cafes are packed.

People been told to stay off work probably heading to the local cafes ><

kamski said:

I think your memory's playing tricks on you, and you're being needlessly mean to HYUFD who was doing his best to run with the herd. I saw the tweet from the modeler who clarified that *his* intention wasn't to create herd immunity, because at that time - not so very long ago - everybody here seemed to be assuming it was. Go look at this comment and read the previous threads.

OllyT said:

If the policy in the UK is to allow the virus to spread in order to get herd immunity then surely it makes sense to isolate those most at risk of dying.

Are we clear thst creating herd immunity is actually the policy? It seems like one of the boffins mentioned it but the people involved in making the model seem saying this is just an inevitable outcome, rather than the goal. Then a bunch of people who *support* the government seem to be jumping on it because it gives them a way to claim the delay and confusion was part of a cunning and brilliant expert plan, rather than the British getting knocked on their arses like everybody else without recent SARS experience.
    Yes it is the government position. It was first mentioned by a member of the behavioural insight team, but has since been confirmed by the two big egg-heads leading this. It definitely isn't just a Cummings lacky speaking out of turn.

UK's chief scientific adviser tells ITV News he hopes Government's approach to coronavirus will create 'herd immunity'

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-13/uk-s-chief-scientific-adviser-tells-itv-news-he-hopes-government-s-approach-to-coronavirus-will-create-herd-immunity/

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2754540/#Comment_2754540
    On the video clip he doesn't say that's the approach. I'd like to see a longer clip. He says "if this happens then it creates herd immunity" not "we want this to happen".
    Nigelb said:
    Its a very dry country though and that's starting from a low base.

On the video clip he doesn't say that's the approach. I'd like to see a longer clip. He says "if this happens then it creates herd immunity" not "we want this to happen".

That's not the only government communication though is it?

kamski said:

OllyT said:

And, pending a vaccine or mutation, it remains the only viable end state.

Arguably it was the medical guy who made the biggest slip, when he said that more infections were actually desirable. Technically, given where we are, and provided they see of younger people who will recover, he was correct. But we don’t need to, and never did need to, do anything to encourage them, since a rise in infection rate was always nailed on, regardless. I have been impressed with the scientific advisers, but the one risk is that they say things that are strictly correct without thinking about how they might come across.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,536

Yep - close of play today...
    edited March 2020
    "Britain’s budget watchdog isn’t simply giving the government the green light to rip up its borrowing rules. It’s actually urging them to."

Robert Chote says that Britain needs a "wartime mentality" to deal with coronavirus. He says during WW2 the govt ran deficits in excess of 20% for "five years on the trot and that was the right thing to do at that time."

This is no time to be squeamish about public debt, he insisted - indeed, a large, temporary increased in borrowing makes sense.

He reminded the Treasury committee that the UK budget deficit hit 20% of GDP in the second world war (it was just 1.9% last year).

Chote also singles out gig economy workers - saying its crucial to make up their earnings in some way."
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,843
    Cyclefree said:

Today will show us if Boris and Sunak really understand the scale of what they are facing and are up to it. I fear not.
    I've been pretty impressed with Macrons announced plans. As much time spent talking about how they intend to prevent economic collapse as they do talking about the health aspects. A whole raft of measures. No one will be allowed to go bankrupt, defers on lots of business taxes and even rents, emergency benefits that don't require companies to fire employees. Where the money will come from is of course the next question but this is probably one of the only times when it is better to overpromise (in terms of short term reassurement) .
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749

Exactly.

“follow the science” says shut schools to reduce transmission. But factor in where the kids go for child care, taking needed medical practitioners away from work, to the grand parents etc, it’s better to keep schools open?

Looks like the answer is you don't need schools functioning as schools? You need them as child care? Maybe summer club come early? Time to get out the box and creative?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    Coronavirus drugs: Who's doing what, and when they might come
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-coronavirus-drugs.html

Cyclefree said:

I've been pretty impressed with Macrons announced plans. As much time spent talking about how they intend to prevent economic collapse as they do talking about the health aspects. A whole raft of measures. No one will be allowed to go bankrupt, defers on lots of business taxes and even rents, emergency benefits that don't require companies to fire employees. Where the money will come from is of course the next question but this is probably one of the only times when it is better to overpromise (in terms of short term reassurement) .
    at least we can print our own money.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,221

"Britain’s budget watchdog isn’t simply giving the government the green light to rip up its borrowing rules. It’s actually urging them to."

Robert Chote says that Britain needs a "wartime mentality" to deal with coronavirus. He says during WW2 the govt ran deficits in excess of 20% for "five years on the trot and that was the right thing to do at that time."

This is no time to be squeamish about public debt, he insisted - indeed, a large, temporary increased in borrowing makes sense.

He reminded the Treasury committee that the UK budget deficit hit 20% of GDP in the second world war (it was just 1.9% last year).

Chote also singles out gig economy workers - saying its crucial to make up their earnings in some way."

probably needed.

The main issue for HMG is to put this directly into the pockets of consumers and businesses and avoid the banks entirely
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

Nigelb said:
    How does being dry make he spread worse? I'd have thought the opposite.
    Boris dad on Philip Schofield’s now saying if he wants to go to the pub he will. And it’s live!

Cyclefree said:

at least we can print our own money.
    The ECB has thrown caution to the wind, and is allowing pretty much all the EZ countries to print money too.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,141

Yes and he explains why. The fact that you are too thick to get it because your judgement is completely f****d by your political agenda is apparent.
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

And, pending a vaccine or mutation, it remains the only viable end state.

Nobody knows that and I think the evidence is against. If you can test and quarantine people fast enough, *or* sustain whatever turns out to be the most effective parts of social distancing to slow transmission, or more likely a combination of both, you have an a long-term solution that doesn't involve a vaccine, mutation or everyone getting it. These are things that several governments seem to be having success with different parts of despite having very little information about the threat. They should be able to make them less disruptive as they learn more.

Boris dad on Philip Schofield’s now saying if he wants to go to the pub he will. And it’s live!

no he wont because they will be closed down from the weekend i suspect.
    Me and other half have just cancelled our gym memberships. Lady on phone said it was nonstop.
    IanB2 said:

... I have been impressed with the scientific advisers, but the one risk is that they say things that are strictly correct without thinking about how they might come across.

I have been arguing for quite some time that perception is often more important than facts for the majority of people. The propellor heads in here insist that I am mad or stupid.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Coronavirus drugs: Who's doing what, and when they might come
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-coronavirus-drugs.html

Jeez, this is depressing:

"According to Benjamin Neuman, a virologist at Texas A&M University-Texarkana, immunizing against the pathogen is a long shot: There has never been a very successful human vaccine against any member of the coronavirus family."
    We basically need less people spouting whatever the government is saying, and more independent thinking.

Look; I don’t want to question the govt.
    My natural inclination is indeed to follow the line and I’m not interested in political partisanship garbage like #boristhebutcher.

But the government has been caught out as sleeping, or complacent, or arrogant. Or all three.

I am not clamouring for “lockdowns” nor for school closures. If I am clamouring for anything, it is the economics. We need what @MaxPB posted upthread, but my fear is that the govt will attempt half measures.
    edited March 2020
    egg said:

Exactly.

“follow the science” says shut schools to reduce transmission. But factor in where the kids go for child care, taking needed medical practitioners away from work, to the grand parents etc, it’s better to keep schools open?

Looks like the answer is you don't need schools functioning as schools? You need them as child care? Maybe summer club come early? Time to get out the box and creative?
    Here schools and kindergartens are shut, but essential workers get childcare if needed.
    Of course it does mean that those children are probably going to mix with a new bunch of children, but that might be another reason to do it sooner rather than later.

One of the firms flat out making ventilators has organised child care at the factory EDIT, or rather I should say organised their own childcare for their workers - I doubt it's actually at the factory!
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012

Heartwarming to see that in these trying times BJ hasn't lost his famous sense of humour.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1239828692240662530?s=20

Words fail me
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,221

We basically need less people spouting whatever the government is saying, and more independent thinking.

My natural inclination is indeed to follow the line and I’m not interested in political partisanship garbage like #boristhebutcher.

But the government has been caught out as sleeping, or complacent, or arrogant. Or all three.

I am not clamouring for “lockdowns” nor for school closures. If I am clamouring for anything, it is the economics. We need what @MaxPB posted upthread, but my fear is that the govt will attempt half measures.

and yet that wasn't your approach on Brexit. Why the change ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
    Wallpapering would have been a good way to keep people occupied while on lockdown.

And Stanley will be out of ‘over 70’ isolation again complaining!
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,141
    Cyclefree said:

Translation - 'nothing the government do or don't do will satisfy me as I intend to snipe from the sidelines'

@Charles - I hope your dad is OK

Thanks. He's in the ICU so getting a lot of care and attention. But it's never a good place to be.
    One of the impacts of the Coronavirus is going to be to emphasise that taking companies private with massive amounts of debt is not without risk.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,536

Wallpapering would have been a good way to keep people occupied while on lockdown.
    I suspect it's going cheap - if the store has stock...

nunu2 said:

No. Absolutely definitely no. Coro-chan loves gyms. Do not go to the gym.

There are some exercise-minded people here who can give you exercising-but-not-at-the-gym tips.
    Only about 2% of them though, according to the survey upthread :wink:
  • All the best to him Charles.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    Coronavirus claims a struggling brand.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1239866617766559744
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Translation - 'nothing the government do or don't do will satisfy me as I intend to snipe from the sidelines'
    The failure of government to think through the economic consequences of its advice yesterday is very telling and betrays an essential incompetence in its decision-makers at the highest level.

It doesn't help that the Prime Minister in his wisdom decided to sack the man who was showing signs of independent thought and replace him with a pliant yes-man.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

And Stanley will be out of ‘over 70’ isolation again complaining!
    Who gives a fuck about Boris's dad? Not even sure Boris does.

Nigelb said:
    How does being dry make he spread worse? I'd have thought the opposite.
    For mother nature to more easily kill coronaviruses in general you need heat, sunlight and humidity.

Australia has the first and second but lacks the third.
    edited March 2020

And in its defence, it's not the only government that's been knocked on its arse. Governments aren't usually designed to move at speed and they don't usually take strong measures to deal with threats until the threats are actually real and present. This is usually a good thing.

Although governments are comprised of humans, who theoretically should be able to learn from other governments' failures, a government is not an intelligent agent. A government is an organism. And it seems like the only way a governmental organism can develop an immune system that will allow it to fight off a threat like this is if it's previously got sick.

and yet that wasn't your approach on Brexit. Why the change ?
    In both cases am simply looking at what facts are available. The problem with Brexit is that it is/was largely superstition.

The better analogy would be if I was on here arguing for increased homeopathy to combat coronavirus.
    philiph said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Wishing him the very best.
    Thank you. It's touch and go at the moment
    Good luck to him and your family Charles.
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.