Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s inadequate response to Covid-19 will doom his presiden

Comments

• Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

HYUFD said:

Covid 19 of course originated in China and unless the Chinese ban live meat markets and bat experiments further viruses may break out there again.

Trump has at least now declared a state of emergency, he has also banned flights and states are starting to shut schools in the US too so now they are taking harder measures than we are

Even you seem half hearted in defending the idiotic Trump
    How do we know for certain it was a meat market and not government military research into genetic weapons? We are only trusting what we were told.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,334

ukpaul said:

On the family isolation issue, I think this is where the schools being open idea comes in. Students up to eighteen will have parents who are fifty or younger in the vast majority of cases. This then puts them all in the herd immunity attempt. They want the children to pass it on to parents.

Of course, there are some who are older and who would need to be isolated in the home (maybe community isolation with friends or older relatives would be a good thing, rather than individually?). Also, parents with underlying conditions would have to do the same.

That leaves any household with no parent who is low risk as being a problem. Maybe get other relatives or families to temporarily adopt?

Musing out loud, but these strategies need to be shared rather than letting people just do what they want piecemeal. There is still an important government role here as a national pandemic response.

I thought Hunt's suggestion was very sensible. To run schools with much more flexibility for the next few months.
    Getting sixth formers to do some of the childcare and even teaching would make sense to me.
    Sorry, what? Making 17 year olds responsible for the safety and teaching of infants? No.
    In a genuine emergency, it might be possible to use them under supervision to keep legal ratios of adults to children,

It is however something I would personally only consider as a desperate last resort.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815

2) I fundamentally disagree with the assumption that everyone is going to catch the disease eventually. China and Singapore have show that the R0 of the disease can be reduced to much lower than 1 with sufficient government policies during lock down. Yes after restrictions are lifted then the R0 will rise by up again, but this could be reduced with policies like social distancing, working from home more often and self isolating as soon as you develop any symptoms at all. Once multiple testing kits are freely available and sent to every household, people can be tested immediately if they have symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has the virus. All these measures reduce R0 in the population when it is not locked down.

When new outbreaks happen then further lock downs will be required, but they can be more localised and of shorter duration as the national number of cases is gradually reduced. The idea is to get the long term R0 to less than 1 with general policy and targeted lock downs, so eventually the disease can be eliminated completely.
    For foreign travel, only allow this openly to other countries with similar controls and as more countries get under control too then gradually open the borders to them as well. Optional travel with 14 day quarantine from higher risk areas can be allowed. Eventually a corona virus test before boarding can become standard in every country.

So you are going to basically shut off Africa permanently? I am afraid this is pie in the sky stuff.
    I am confident that they will be able to control the disease there eventually too.

But as I mentioned a corona virus test before boarding would have to be in place otherwise.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,483

maaarsh said:

One for the Japan & South Korea cheer crews...

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1238776232742924291?s=20

This kind of explains the different approaches in Europe and Asia. Generals always want to fight the last war. In Asia the experts are fighting SARS. In Europe they're fighting the WW1 flu pandemic.
    The time to be making this point was January. It's too late now.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,308

2) I fundamentally disagree with the assumption that everyone is going to catch the disease eventually. China and Singapore have show that the R0 of the disease can be reduced to much lower than 1 with sufficient government policies during lock down. Yes after restrictions are lifted then the R0 will rise by up again, but this could be reduced with policies like social distancing, working from home more often and self isolating as soon as you develop any symptoms at all. Once multiple testing kits are freely available and sent to every household, people can be tested immediately if they have symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has the virus. All these measures reduce R0 in the population when it is not locked down.

When new outbreaks happen then further lock downs will be required, but they can be more localised and of shorter duration as the national number of cases is gradually reduced. The idea is to get the long term R0 to less than 1 with general policy and targeted lock downs, so eventually the disease can be eliminated completely.
    For foreign travel, only allow this openly to other countries with similar controls and as more countries get under control too then gradually open the borders to them as well. Optional travel with 14 day quarantine from higher risk areas can be allowed. Eventually a corona virus test before boarding can become standard in every country.

So you are going to basically shut off Africa permanently? I am afraid this is pie in the sky stuff.
    I am confident that they will be able to control the disease there eventually too.

But as I mentioned a corona virus test before boarding would have to be in place otherwise.
    It isn't going to happen in the next decade if not longer. Not without herd immunity which is exactly what you are opposing.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

One for the Japan & South Korea cheer crews...

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1238776232742924291?s=20

This kind of explains the different approaches in Europe and Asia. Generals always want to fight the last war. In Asia the experts are fighting SARS. In Europe they're fighting the WW1 flu pandemic.
    Worth bearing in mind we still don't have any sort of vaccine for SARS so there is a major flaw in the Asian approach.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,440

ukpaul said:

On the family isolation issue, I think this is where the schools being open idea comes in. Students up to eighteen will have parents who are fifty or younger in the vast majority of cases. This then puts them all in the herd immunity attempt. They want the children to pass it on to parents.

Of course, there are some who are older and who would need to be isolated in the home (maybe community isolation with friends or older relatives would be a good thing, rather than individually?). Also, parents with underlying conditions would have to do the same.

That leaves any household with no parent who is low risk as being a problem. Maybe get other relatives or families to temporarily adopt?

Musing out loud, but these strategies need to be shared rather than letting people just do what they want piecemeal. There is still an important government role here as a national pandemic response.

I thought Hunt's suggestion was very sensible. To run schools with much more flexibility for the next few months.
    Getting sixth formers to do some of the childcare and even teaching would make sense to me.
    Sorry, what? Making 17 year olds responsible for the safety and teaching of infants? No.
    You might not have not noticed but there are plenty of 17 year old parents around, and until this generation the average age of babysitters would have been under 17.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,981

We are in the middle of a profound crisis and PB is debating Sky Sports subscriptions.

Never change PB.

Just another issue in a never ending line of them

Nothing is going to be the same post covid 19

WFH will become the norm for many,
    Many companies will have been forced over the technology hurdle for employees to work at home and will embrace it afterwards. I supsect that many other companies will look at their drop in productivity in the next month and use that as an argument against it. How honest they will be about productivity lost to skyving, and how much to the economic hit of the crisis is another matter.

I also worry about companies starting to insist that employees work much more at home, and these employees feel forced into turning a spare room into a work room, or to rent a 2 bedroom flat rather than a 1 bedroom flat, or devoting 4 square meters of their shared house bedroom to their work. I made the conscious choice to rent a flat with a room I can call an office, in part beause I can afford to. Many others are not in a position to do that, especially in SE England where rents and house prices are so high.
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

Covid 19 of course originated in China and unless the Chinese ban live meat markets and bat experiments further viruses may break out there again.

Trump has at least now declared a state of emergency, he has also banned flights and states are starting to shut schools in the US too so now they are taking harder measures than we are

Even you seem half hearted in defending the idiotic Trump
    How do we know for certain it was a meat market and not government military research into genetic weapons? We are only trusting what we were told.
    In war a differential is advantage, all sorts are tried. WW2 had a fart weapon, in future there will be a genetic pneumonia weapon.
  • Options

It isn't going to happen in the next decade if not longer. Not without herd immunity which is exactly what you are opposing.
    If is a choice between multiple deaths for some with potentially life changing illness for the rest of us and having restrictions to travel to and from Africa for a decade then I would choose the latter, as I think would most people.

This is without considering that it could be us shut off from the outside world if we don't eliminate the disease.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,545

Nobody with a fever will ever be allowed to fly again. A quick temperature check with a remote thermometer will become as normal as showing your passport. And breathing in and holding it for 10 seconds without coughing is a handy enough test to see those with an active issue in their lungs.

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,822
    So do we have an idea yet how dangerous covid is to younger people that may have underlying health conditions or be disabled? Because its just old people who can have underlying risks.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,364

November is a long way away so I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. All sorts of things could happen before then, not least of which could be the worst of the infection passes over America and then Trump passes an emergency stimulus and lifts restrictions just in time.

Also, we had a Herdson article just a few weeks ago tipping buying Sanders when he was odds on - and we know what happened next.

Things that look inevitable one week can look very different the next.

With respect, I didn't say it was inevitable and I did say that the White House bet was the better value, because "Trump’s typically self-centred and quite possibly grossly inadequate reaction to the coronavirus outbreak, should now be favourite in a head-to-head with Trump, the president’s skill at negative campaigning notwithstanding".

The Sanders call was the wrong one but it's the first wrong one I've made in a long time; I hope I can be forgiven that and the previous record taken into account?

I did, however, foresee where Covid-19 was going in the US, and what that would mean for Trump politically, and for the US economy.
    I didn't say you said it was inevitable - just that it can look that way.

My point is that the dislike of Trump is so strong it can cloud our judgement.

I think what @SouthamObserver said earlier is fair. The culture wars in the US are so embedded that I can't see his base deserting even if casualties are in the low millions.

They'll blame someone else.

That doesn't mean he'll win but I could still see it being a close fight.
    That's all true. But pre-Covid-19, I was tipping Trump to be re-elected so I don't think I was too clouded by a dislike of the man (which I do have).

What I was misled by was a particularly poor campaign event by Biden where he just seemed done in. That, combined with deteriorating polling and fundraising (and the early voting for Super Tuesday, much of which would be in pre-SC), made me think that he wouldn't recover his situation. I also thought that the candidates in for SC would see it through to ST, only a few days later, having invested what they had in it.

Like I say, you can't get them all right.
    You still haven't got it wrong yet. Although Trump is doing a sterling job of ensuring he isn't re-elected.

Harold Wilson's old adage about a week being a long time in politics has been superseded by an hour being a long time in politics.
    Well, I'm tipping Trump to lose now so I won't take any credit for the earlier prediction if it does turn out to be right.
    I trust your judgement. If your new projection is accurate, the world will become a safer place.

I am aware that Presidential Elections don't stop for world wars, but is there any mechanism Trump could adopt with the approval of Congress that could postpone the election for a year or four?
    No, the elections are in the constitution, as is the expiry of the presidents term on 20 January 2021.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,057

November is a long way away so I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. All sorts of things could happen before then, not least of which could be the worst of the infection passes over America and then Trump passes an emergency stimulus and lifts restrictions just in time.

Also, we had a Herdson article just a few weeks ago tipping buying Sanders when he was odds on - and we know what happened next.

With respect, I didn't say it was inevitable and I did say that the White House bet was the better value, because "Trump’s typically self-centred and quite possibly grossly inadequate reaction to the coronavirus outbreak, should now be favourite in a head-to-head with Trump, the president’s skill at negative campaigning notwithstanding".

The Sanders call was the wrong one but it's the first wrong one I've made in a long time; I hope I can be forgiven that and the previous record taken into account?

I did, however, foresee where Covid-19 was going in the US, and what that would mean for Trump politically, and for the US economy.

I think what @SouthamObserver said earlier is fair. The culture wars in the US are so embedded that I can't see his base deserting even if casualties are in the low millions.

That's all true. But pre-Covid-19, I was tipping Trump to be re-elected so I don't think I was too clouded by a dislike of the man (which I do have).

What I was misled by was a particularly poor campaign event by Biden where he just seemed done in. That, combined with deteriorating polling and fundraising (and the early voting for Super Tuesday, much of which would be in pre-SC), made me think that he wouldn't recover his situation. I also thought that the candidates in for SC would see it through to ST, only a few days later, having invested what they had in it.

You still haven't got it wrong yet. Although Trump is doing a sterling job of ensuring he isn't re-elected.

Harold Wilson's old adage about a week being a long time in politics has been superseded by an hour being a long time in politics.
    Well, I'm tipping Trump to lose now so I won't take any credit for the earlier prediction if it does turn out to be right.
    I trust your judgement. If your new projection is accurate, the world will become a safer place.
    No, you should always do your own research and come to your own view.

Those can be informed by others, but you shouldn't automatically adopt their conclusions. Particularly since your second sentence shows the sympathies around which a risk of confirmation bias could be based.
    With all due respect I am reasonably well versed. Mr Herdson's track record is impressive and I take his predictions seriously.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,521
    "Trump sends signed chart showing stock market gains to supporters after he declared coronavirus a national emergency" 14th of march!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/politics/trump-stock-market-gains-signed-photo/index.html

• Options

If is a choice between multiple deaths for some with potentially life changing illness for the rest of us and having restrictions to travel to and from Africa for a decade then I would choose the latter, as I think would most people.

This is without considering that it could be us shut off from the outside world if we don't eliminate the disease.
    You won't have that choice. Just as with Trump's idiotic fly ban on the EU, people will always find ways around it. And what about all the refugees? Are you going to start shooting them to stop them getting into Europe? (Note I am not making any claims on refugees being infected, just pointing out the obvious conclusions of your strategy)

As long as the virus is endemic somewhere in the world your strategy fails. We either need a vaccine or we need herd immunity. Those are the only two ways we are going to ever get back to anything approaching normal life.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

We are in the middle of a profound crisis and PB is debating Sky Sports subscriptions.

Never change PB.

Many companies will have been forced over the technology hurdle for employees to work at home and will embrace it afterwards. I supsect that many other companies will look at their drop in productivity in the next month and use that as an argument against it. How honest they will be about productivity lost to skyving, and how much to the economic hit of the crisis is another matter.

I also worry about companies starting to insist that employees work much more at home, and these employees feel forced into turning a spare room into a work room, or to rent a 2 bedroom flat rather than a 1 bedroom flat, or devoting 4 square meters of their shared house bedroom to their work. I made the conscious choice to rent a flat with a room I can call an office, in part beause I can afford to. Many others are not in a position to do that, especially in SE England where rents and house prices are so high.
    On the flip side if this is as bad as it might be, expect people to want to move out of cities, whats the point of living in a crowded place if you cant go to busy places and have fun?
  • Options

OllyT said:

I remain sceptical about the figures worldwide. Last time I looked Turkey, for instance, was declaring 2 cases but I have been told via someone in the capital that there are hundreds of cases in Ankara alone.

The Chinese situation now looks great but what would actually be stopping a totalitarian regime that badly wants to save face simply not testing people are attributing most deaths to other causes?
    I also thought the Chinese numbers sounded unbelievable but look how well South Korea did with much less drastic measures, then watch this about how people are tested:
    https://twitter.com/karaokecomputer/status/1238754471716388864

[*] China has often been known to bamboozle foreign journalists, so what he's seeing may or may not be typical...
    That interviewee is one of the most convincing I've ever seen - really impressive technique. More importantly, explaining exactly how China appears to have cracked it is fascinating. I agree with the point that we now have to see what happens when they graduallylift the restrictions. But from where they started (and where we are about to arrive at) it's a good place to get to..
    What is interesting is the Chinese approach to this, is lot of "quick and inaccurate" methods including tech, but using it to funnel individuals towards more and more accurate / expensive / time consuming approaches.

South Korea has done something similar with a road side test then funnel into the gold standard screen programme.

The move fast and break stuff of Silicon Valley.

In the West, we have for always taken the approach of gold standard approach to test once when it comes to medicine.
    That last sentence is not totally true when it comes to screening tests. With these tests, so many asymptomatic people are being tested that you will be picking up thousands of positives, and the vast majority of these will be false positives, no matter how good the sensitivity and specificity of the test is.

What is important is that the follow-up test after a positive screnning test is what you call a gold standard test. Being positives in both tests is then very likely to be a true positive.
  • Options

"Trump sends signed chart showing stock market gains to supporters after he declared coronavirus a national emergency" 14th of march!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/politics/trump-stock-market-gains-signed-photo/index.html

Words fail me
  • Options

ukpaul said:

You might not have not noticed but there are plenty of 17 year old parents around, and until this generation the average age of babysitters would have been under 17.
    Yeah, and how do the lives of the children born to those 17 year olds tend to turn out?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,128

The Kids are Alright but My Generation (are about to die out)?
    Even over 80s have an 80% survival rate from Covid 19, hardly dying out
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,867

No, you should always do your own research and come to your own view.

Those can be informed by others, but you shouldn't automatically adopt their conclusions. Particularly since your second sentence shows the sympathies around which a risk of confirmation bias could be based.

Of course you should try and totally separate what you WANT to happen from your assessment of the probability that it will. I try very hard to do that but where I fail I tend to err on the side of OVERestimating the likelihood of things happening that I do NOT want to happen. An "emotional hedge" if you like. Looking on the bleak side creates more room for a pleasant surprise.

So that is NEGATIVE confirmation bias.

Which if we apply to my superforecast of Trump thrashed in WH2020 - something I very much DO want to happen - makes it all the more compelling.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,924

Anybody who heard the hot mic footage won't be in the slightest surprised. It was like he had just done a shift on QVC, not announced to the nation the biggest threat for a 100 years.
  • Options

You won't have that choice. Just as with Trump's idiotic fly ban on the EU, people will always find ways around it. And what about all the refugees? Are you going to start shooting them to stop them getting into Europe? (Note I am not making any claims on refugees being infected, just pointing out the obvious conclusions of your strategy)

As long as the virus is endemic somewhere in the world your strategy fails. We either need a vaccine or we need herd immunity. Those are the only two ways we are going to ever get back to anything approaching normal life.
    And we need China to ban live meat markets and bat experiments to avoid new viruses emerging from there
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,166
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And we need China to ban live meat markets and bat experiments to avoid new viruses emerging from there
    Christ, you are like a dog with a bone. Having a non-manchild as US President would help too.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,057

I am aware that Presidential Elections don't stop for world wars, but is there any mechanism Trump could adopt with the approval of Congress that could postpone the election for a year or four?
    No, the elections are in the constitution, as is the expiry of the presidents term on 20 January 2021.
    Thanks
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not just China, all across Asian. What I didn't realise until recently is these markets aren't full of animals from just that region, they are literally from all four corners of the earth. Thus they are putting into contact animals that naturally would never interact and raise the possibility of intermingling of diseases that never would in the natural world.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,158
    HYUFD said:

The live meat markets and wet markets for fish are going to be incredibly hard to ban because of the way that patronage works in China. There will always be demand and there will always be someone to bribe. The only way to do it is to seek a total cultural change and that is a question of years, not months.

• Options
    Chameleon said:
    One thing the government should not be accused of is making this up as they go along. They have been working on this plan since the start of January. It is clear many other countries haven't.
  • Options

Words fail me
    Cherry picking, and spin, but you can’t call him a liar because the note is true in that best day since 2008 coincided with the measures he announced. Big announcements of retaliatory measures do normally have effect.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,082
    @DavidL makes a good point (one that I've wanted to mention for a while) about a constructive approach to Corona, making sure our own personal health is tip top for better outcomes. If you get through the first part of this Dr. Berg clip (he explains very basically what a virus is), there is some good info on how to boost the immune system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cjUOpvmDE7k

I make sauerkraut myself (yay!) - definitely a great new skill to learn during a period of social distancing...
  • Options

Yep - I can't see another way. And a vaccine is not arriving any time soon.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,417
    eristdoof said:

Never change PB.

It would be an encouragement to relocate to more affordable areas.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,137
    I actually saw a bit of news today (not watched much for some time now). The delinquent angle of 'u-turn' nonsense was rather dispiriting. Just because the Government isn't doing something on a given day that doesn't mean doing it at any time later is a u-turn, especially when they've specifically said it's something they've been looking at doing in the near future.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:
    https://twitter.com/iandonald_psych/status/1238518381915111426?s=20

This is where I don't understand the plan to not test anybody but those hospitalized. Unless they aren't being 100% honest with the public and they will be sampling, but don't want 1000s of people ringing 111 demanding they get a test.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The live meat markets and wet markets for fish are going to be incredibly hard to ban because of the way that patronage works in China. There will always be demand and there will always be someone to bribe. The only way to do it is to seek a total cultural change and that is a question of years, not months.

In which case travel bans and restrictions must be imposed on Chinese travel and quarantine for travellers to China must be imposed until they do
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,381
    eristdoof said:

Never change PB.

All my colleagues who regularly WFH have turned bedrooms, garages or sheds into offices.

But there will soon be another capacity problem, I fear. I doubt many companies have enough VPN termination points to accommodate all their employees. If your company asks you to get off the VPN between accessing the intranet, then that is why.
  • Options

I actually saw a bit of news today (not watched much for some time now). The delinquent angle of 'u-turn' nonsense was rather dispiriting. Just because the Government isn't doing something on a given day that doesn't mean doing it at any time later is a u-turn, especially when they've specifically said it's something they've been looking at doing in the near future.

The quality of the media on this is shocking
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not just China, all across Asian. What I didn't realise until recently is these markets aren't full of animals from just that region, they are literally from all four corners of the earth. Thus they are putting into contact animals that naturally would never interact and raise the possibility of intermingling of diseases that never would in the natural world.
    Agreed but China is the epicentre of this
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,331
    edited March 2020
    deleted. done already
  • Options

Charles said:

CD13 said:

I think Boris is pursuing the correct tactics. Bring in the experts and listen to them. They might be wrong but it is defensible. If he did anything else, it would give the armchair 'experts' an extra stick to beat him with.

There is still a political element to some of the criticisms, but there always will be. If he took notice of the assorted thickos jostling to shout loudest, they'd still criticise him for pandering to ignorance.

What’s disappointing is things like Ian Donald’s thread above. Thoughtful and useful thread. And then he added at the end “way to clever for Boris Johnson to have thought of”. Unnecessary and unhelpful. Johnson is listening to the specialists in this area and making a judgement on the right strategy.

It’s a gutsy call and I hope it goes right. For all our sakes.
    So do I. FWIW I didn't criticise Johnson and his advisors after their press conference, and I don't think I'm especially politically motivated on this issue. But I'm coming to feel that we've made the wrong decision.

Not so much because I disbelieve the idea that a tough crackdown will just postpone the issue and the virus will reappear. But because I think that even if that's true, it will buy time to prepare - possibly effective treatment or a vaccine, certainly specialised infection-handling units set up across the country, and certainly careful planning of how restrictions are handled.

We are trying to follow a theory - that mass infection in a controlled way will help in the long term - while scrambling with measures on the hoof to respond to each day's pressures. that doesn't sound like a good way to tackle it, and the downside, as David says, is that the strategy inevitably means many more deaths in the short term.

I don't blame Boris for this - he's taking advice, as he should. But despite their convincing manner, I'm increasingly doubtful that the advisors are right.

(Dloes it matter what I think? Nah. But we're just discussing it for interest here0

My view is that at this point we have to trust the decsions that are being made. That means having to trust that those making then are doing so on the best advice and for the right reasons. I am confident that is the case in the UK (and across Europe, even though the decisions being reached are different). If I were in the US I would not be remotely confident.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,482
    edited March 2020
    Perhaps one of the reasons why other governments aren't contemplating the herd immunity solution is that they fear their populations wouldn't accept it because it sounds grim to the untutored, even though it's designed to reduce the overall number of serious cases. The UK government has decided to trust people to understand it.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

In a genuine emergency, it might be possible to use them under supervision to keep legal ratios of adults to children,

It is however something I would personally only consider as a desperate last resort.
    Am I right in thinking that if you go back a couple of centuries Public schools would have had one or two masters who taught the older boys, who in turn taught the younger ones?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

What a disappointment. With no Premier League football today I thought the next best thing was to be part of the panic buyers at my local Waitrose. Well there were only 3/4 other shoppers and almost all the shelves were full. What's happening to this country?

Morrison’s in Burntwood was the opposite. I went in at 8 to beat the panic buyers. Car park was full and the shelves were half empty. All Fray Bentos pies and most tinned fish had vanished. Two packets of yeast left. Hardly any soap. Bloody hoarders had barely left enough for me to fill two shopping trollies to meet my own simple needs.
    Sainsbury's today -- no tissues, toilet rolls or kitchen rolls. No soap. No frozen fish. Not much paracetamol and no aspirin or ibuprofen. No Coke. Probably around twice as many shoppers as last Saturday. ETA no Dettol.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

The tenor of the debate on a vaccine is that 2021 is likely, 2022 at latest. That to me IS soon.

If we can have confidence in a vaccine within a couple of years (but can we?) then IMO the time to buy the Footsie is coming up. Maybe now.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

A Cultural Revolution you say?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those markets should have been banned already, I'm somewhat shocked if they haven't been.
  • Options

2) I .

Give people a CV test from infected areas before travelling. It's perfectly possible.

Pay to set up safe areas for refugees next to the countries they are fleeing from. Something that should have been done years ago.
    If not we can have quarantined areas set up here for exactly that purpose.

Herd immunity is useless once the virus mutates, which it will.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Am I right in thinking that if you go back a couple of centuries Public schools would have had one or two masters who taught the older boys, who in turn taught the younger ones?
    The honest answer is, I don’t know. It seems possible. Certainly that was the way the circulating schools in Wales worked in the eighteenth century.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

What a disappointment. With no Premier League football today I thought the next best thing was to be part of the panic buyers at my local Waitrose. Well there were only 3/4 other shoppers and almost all the shelves were full. What's happening to this country?

Morrison’s in Burntwood was the opposite. I went in at 8 to beat the panic buyers. Car park was full and the shelves were half empty. All Fray Bentos pies and most tinned fish had vanished. Two packets of yeast left. Hardly any soap. Bloody hoarders had barely left enough for me to fill two shopping trollies to meet my own simple needs.
    Sainsbury's today -- no tissues, toilet rolls or kitchen rolls. No soap. No frozen fish. Not much paracetamol and no aspirin or ibuprofen. No Coke. Probably around twice as many shoppers as last Saturday. ETA no Dettol.
    Ocado down much of the morning!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,482
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

The puzzling thing is presumably these wet markets have existed in China for hundreds or even thousands of years, and they can't have been causing problems all that time since otherwise they wouldn't have lasted so long — unless there were occasional outbreaks of disease/viruses that were incredibly localised, before the advent of mass travel.
  • Options

2) I .

Give people a CV test from infected areas before travelling. It's perfectly possible.

Pay to set up safe areas for refugees next to the countries they are fleeing from. Something that should have been done years ago.

It's not 'useless', and you're awfully opinionated for someone on their 5th post.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,348
    eristdoof said:

OllyT said:

I remain sceptical about the figures worldwide. Last time I looked Turkey, for instance, was declaring 2 cases but I have been told via someone in the capital that there are hundreds of cases in Ankara alone.

The Chinese situation now looks great but what would actually be stopping a totalitarian regime that badly wants to save face simply not testing people are attributing most deaths to other causes?
    I also thought the Chinese numbers sounded unbelievable but look how well South Korea did with much less drastic measures, then watch this about how people are tested:
    https://twitter.com/karaokecomputer/status/1238754471716388864

[*] China has often been known to bamboozle foreign journalists, so what he's seeing may or may not be typical...
    That interviewee is one of the most convincing I've ever seen - really impressive technique. More importantly, explaining exactly how China appears to have cracked it is fascinating. I agree with the point that we now have to see what happens when they graduallylift the restrictions. But from where they started (and where we are about to arrive at) it's a good place to get to..
    What is interesting is the Chinese approach to this, is lot of "quick and inaccurate" methods including tech, but using it to funnel individuals towards more and more accurate / expensive / time consuming approaches.

South Korea has done something similar with a road side test then funnel into the gold standard screen programme.

The move fast and break stuff of Silicon Valley.

In the West, we have for always taken the approach of gold standard approach to test once when it comes to medicine.
    That last sentence is not totally true when it comes to screening tests. With these tests, so many asymptomatic people are being tested that you will be picking up thousands of positives, and the vast majority of these will be false positives, no matter how good the sensitivity and specificity of the test is.

What is important is that the follow-up test after a positive screnning test is what you call a gold standard test. Being positives in both tests is then very likely to be a true positive.
    Which is what the Chinese were doing.
    I’m sceptical about the claim, but they were, for example (and according to the WHO mission) running up to 200 patients a day through each CAT scan machine at the height of the outbreak, looking for the characteristic ‘ground glass’ shadow on the lungs.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 367
    JM1 said:

Charles said:

CD13 said:

I think Boris is pursuing the correct tactics. Bring in the experts and listen to them. They might be wrong but it is defensible. If he did anything else, it would give the armchair 'experts' an extra stick to beat him with.

There is still a political element to some of the criticisms, but there always will be. If he took notice of the assorted thickos jostling to shout loudest, they'd still criticise him for pandering to ignorance.

What’s disappointing is things like Ian Donald’s thread above. Thoughtful and useful thread. And then he added at the end “way to clever for Boris Johnson to have thought of”. Unnecessary and unhelpful. Johnson is listening to the specialists in this area and making a judgement on the right strategy.

It’s a gutsy call and I hope it goes right. For all our sakes.
    So do I. FWIW I didn't criticise Johnson and his advisors after their press conference, and I don't think I'm especially politically motivated on this issue. But I'm coming to feel that we've made the wrong decision.

Not so much because I disbelieve the idea that a tough crackdown will just postpone the issue and the virus will reappear. But because I think that even if that's true, it will buy time to prepare - possibly effective treatment or a vaccine, certainly specialised infection-handling units set up across the country, and certainly careful planning of how restrictions are handled.

We are trying to follow a theory - that mass infection in a controlled way will help in the long term - while scrambling with measures on the hoof to respond to each day's pressures. that doesn't sound like a good way to tackle it, and the downside, as David says, is that the strategy inevitably means many more deaths in the short term.

I don't blame Boris for this - he's taking advice, as he should. But despite their convincing manner, I'm increasingly doubtful that the advisors are right.

(Dloes it matter what I think? Nah. But we're just discussing it for interest here0
    A few points (apologies if long!):

First, if (and it is an if) our cases are geographically distributed we will cope better with the epidemic as there will not be so much local stress on the system (presently we have 25% cases in London with 15% population so that's probably our most likely cluster). This will definitely help the NHS cope.

Second, we are, naturally as a population, taking social distancing measures here that will slow down the spread quite a lot but not eliminate it - this will also flatten the peak.

Third, we assume that those infected will be distributed equally across the population: but in my experience the elderly and infirm are already beginning to isolate / take many additional precautions so the number of serious cases requiring ICU will be lower than asserted by a straight multiplication of the number infected (essentially it's all about conditional probabilities rather than independent events).

Fourth, we can (and will at some point) of course pivot towards a lockdown at any point - in Italy, this started when they had 5,000 cases (of which the majority [>60%] were in Lombardy - see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51858987 for some nice illustration; presently Madrid has 60% of cases in Spain I think, so is in a similar position). We are about 10 days behind this time point in terms of number of cases.

The good news is that like Italy and China, if we do go into lockdown we will see similar results - high growth in number of new cases for a few days after lockdown and then constant (linear) growth for a period before decline.

The challenge is that locking down now, when we do not have a geographical localisation in terms of case number nor the number of cases of other countries, might indeed lead to a larger future peak as once the lockdown stops the virus will almost immediately return. Holding off on these measures for another week or so (especially with the lack of an extreme local cluster) could thus be beneficial in the longer term without necessarily any increase in mortality relative to other countries.
    This epidemic is unpredictable, but it could be than when we get to say 100,000 cases there is a severe lockdown of the UK as in Hubei/Italy. The number of cases might go down a bit so the lockdown might be eased but the cases could increase again. This could continue indefinitely until we run out of money and are forced to lift the lockdowns. Then the epidemic would run its course. Is it possibly inevitable that this disease will infect most people eventually so that little will be gained by locking down the country for long?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dis infection is sodding everything up.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    On a personal note, at the urging of my Head of Department and with the approval of the Head I am going to be working from home from Monday. I have some underlying health issues and was in hospital with pneumonia only last November.
    Looks like I’m going to have to learn how to live stream lessons...
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    just taken my 5 year old to the lejeplads (play area?) anyway pretty much all her friends and parents from her nursery are there! critcising the UK approach a la Farage or Piers Morgan might make people who detest the govt feel better - but it doesn't seem to me that the modelling which shows it has little effect to shut schools too early is somehow negligent or wilfully evil as a lot of people are hinting at.

In Denmark we are further along the path than the UK hence more measures are being taken but it's not a different approach actually despite what some in the UK media are saying.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703
    kinabalu said:

The tenor of the debate on a vaccine is that 2021 is likely, 2022 at latest. That to me IS soon.

If we can have confidence in a vaccine within a couple of years (but can we?) then IMO the time to buy the Footsie is coming up. Maybe now.
    '2022 at the latest' - I think it's risky to talk about the certainty of a vaccine being available by a specific date when there's no guarantee that's going to be the case.
  • Options

On a personal note, at the urging of my Head of Department and with the approval of the Head I am going to be working from home from Monday. I have some underlying health issues and was in hospital with pneumonia only last November.

What email client does your school use?
  • Options
    President Trump's other problem is the GOP's antipathy to government action. An emergency extension to Medicaid to everyone for Covid-19 testing and treatment, for instance, would not be well received by a party struggling to cripple Obamacare.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not just China, all across Asian. What I didn't realise until recently is these markets aren't full of animals from just that region, they are literally from all four corners of the earth. Thus they are putting into contact animals that naturally would never interact Cand raise the possibility of intermingling of diseases that never would in the natural world.
    Those markets should have been banned already, I'm somewhat shocked if they haven't been.
    It’s quite likely they will be heavily regulated instead.
    Banning them will just mean they carry on in a messier and underground manner.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

The puzzling thing is presumably these wet markets have existed in China for hundreds or even thousands of years, and they can't have been causing problems all that time since otherwise they wouldn't have lasted so long — unless there were occasional outbreaks of disease/viruses that were incredibly localised, before the advent of mass travel.
    Mass travel has certainly made virus outbreaks from them much more dangerous
  • Options

As I think Nick said the other day, too many in the media look at journalism as a branch of entertainment. Perhaps because it is easier than hard research, followed up by sharp writing. On this Covid-19 issue at least, they need to have a very long hard look at their product and think "WTF am I doing here?" Gotcha moments, manufacturing Govt. U-turns, pontificating against experts in their field - just STOP IT.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Europe is the epicentre according to the WHO.

And indeed according to an even higher authority - President Donald Trump himself.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,382
    I'm told that China is re-opening. Even Hubei/Wuhan
  • Options
    edited March 2020

eristdoof said:

Never change PB.

All my colleagues who regularly WFH have turned bedrooms, garages or sheds into offices.
    As I say many of us choose to turn a bedroom into an office etc. However, a 23 year old with a modest bedroom in a 4 person shared house will find it much more of a burden to work 20+ hours at home than a 55 year old whose eldest daughter graduated last year.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not just China, all across Asian. What I didn't realise until recently is these markets aren't full of animals from just that region, they are literally from all four corners of the earth. Thus they are putting into contact animals that naturally would never interact Cand raise the possibility of intermingling of diseases that never would in the natural world.
    It’s quite likely they will be heavily regulated instead.
    Banning them will just mean they carry on in a messier and underground manner.
    I thought the point of an autocracy was being able to get people to do what you want them to. They can lock down a whole province, surely they can ban these hell holes and punish those who flout the ban severely?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yeah, because the plague of Justinian and the Black Death were totally not more serious than Covid-19.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

So National League footie still goes ahead?

Maybe not:

https://twitter.com/khfcofficial/status/1238751797902262272?s=20
    Surprised Sky Sports haven’t bought the rights to the last week of the Pakistan Super League Cricket.
    Sky 732 might be in your normal subscription.
    Cheers yes I have that. I Guess it wouldn’t be worth Sky getting the rights as people can just watch it on there... the localised Pepe chicken ads would go unseen too!
  • Options

Very wise move.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    All the pupils should have iPads or laptops, and I will be using Teams to send them notes. I am hoping that I can also use the chat function to answer questions during the lessons.
  • Options
    As an aside, am reading Hastings’ Vietnam.
    I hadn’t realised Churchill had turned down a US request for assistance in intervening back in 1954 (I knew about Wilson doing the same the following decade). Puts an interesting slant on Suez.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    All the pupils should have iPads or laptops, and I will be using Teams to send them notes. I am hoping that I can also use the chat function to answer questions during the lessons.
    Well, that’s what I was wondering. We have a gmail client and we’ve been urged to look at the conference function. I was wondering if you could give me feedback on how it worked but it sounds as though your systems are different.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    Well, that’s what I was wondering. We have a gmail client and we’ve been urged to look at the conference function. I was wondering if you could give me feedback on how it worked but it sounds as though your systems are different.
    Do most of your pupils have their own electronic devices?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    Probably not a viable approach for primaries ?
  • Options
    Foss said:

'2022 at the latest' - I think it's risky to talk about the certainty of a vaccine being available by a specific date when there's no guarantee that's going to be the case.

Indeed.

But I'm focused on when the stock market becomes a screaming buy - since with the right timing it will constitute a once in a blue moon investment opportunity - and a reasonable answer to the question "What is the probability of a vaccine becoming available in the next 2 years?" is key to making that judgement.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

a) they need to get the economy moving again (and there is going to be a huge demand for things like medical supplies, which cynically big business to be had and from a humanitarian perspective to try and help save as many people as possible).

b) they are now in full propaganda mode, the great leader, the party, the nation have defeated this disease.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Never change PB.

As I say many of us choose to turn a bedroom into an office etc. However, a 23 year old with a modest bedroom in a 4 person shared house will find it much more of a burden to work 20+ hours at home than a 55 year old whose eldest daughter graduated last year.
    Buy shares in Regus. Business will at the very least be highly tempted to reduce corporate office space after this. But teams will still need to meet, individuals like you describe will want to work not just at home...
  • Options

As I think Nick said the other day, too many in the media look at journalism as a branch of entertainment. Perhaps because it is easier than hard research, followed up by sharp writing. On this Covid-19 issue at least, they need to have a very long hard look at their product and think "WTF am I doing here?" Gotcha moments, manufacturing Govt. U-turns, pontificating against experts in their field - just STOP IT.
    One of Ben Goldacre's comments about the MMR Furore was that the science journalists would be writing sensible, measured and evidence based articles which were tucked away on page 25, contradicted in the same issue by sensationalist articles written by news journalists, which were being printed on the front page.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    Pretty well all of them have smart phones of one description or another. How useful they would be for streaming lessons is another question.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,987
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah, because the plague of Justinian and the Black Death were totally not more serious than Covid-19.
    That was mass travel by rats
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    Be a little cautious of Teams; my Teams using team finds that it sometimes looses or heavily delays messages between users. Just because someone doesn't respond then it doesn't mean they're on the skive.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Until 20 years ago, China was much poorer, the population were much more spread out with much higher percentage living in rural areas and not allowed to travel between regions without special permission (let alone go abroad).

So less chance of spread even within China, let alone abroad. People didn't live as long so their deaths just put down to how things are. And of course without the internet, the state could suppress any local issues.
  • Options

a) they need to get the economy moving again (and there is going to be a huge demand for things like medical supplies, which cynically big business to be had and from a humanitarian perspective to try and help save as many people as possible).

b) they are now in full propaganda mode, the great leader, the party, the nation have defeated this disease.
    Which is when they will be at their greatest risk. As will true information on whether this fires back up again. If they claim it hasn't, will that put pressure on Boris to change tactics?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

By midweek I’m guessing the shelves will be full and the stores empty of customers....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I was given some information about an upcoming step from a friend.

It will be interesting to see if the press will claim it is a u turn when it happens
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

From the people I know there, sort of. There have already been reports of CCP officials fudging output numbers to hit central targets. The real issue is that media reporting is substantially under the control of the CCP so there is a stage 1 filtering effect.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,331
    Dr Adam Kucharski:

“A couple of key takeaways from our analysis of early Covid-19 dynamics in Wuhan:

“We estimated that the control measures introduced there – unprecedented interventions that will have had a huge social and psychological toll – reduced transmission by around 55 per cent in space of 2 weeks.

“There’s evidence that the vast majority of the population is still susceptible in Wuhan – we estimated around 95 per cent at end of January. As soon as control measures are lifted, there is the risk of new introduced cases – and another outbreak.

“It’s easy to say ‘let's just do what Wuhan did’, but the measures there have involved a change to daily life that really has been unimaginable in scale and impact. And as we’ve seen, China cannot sustain them indefinitely."

Telegraph
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    Pretty well all of them have smart phones of one description or another. How useful they would be for streaming lessons is another question.
    Phones are probably too small to be honest.

It is going to put a strain on the Wi-fi, so I may have to resort to the usual cover work methods

I am lucky in that I have finished the A-level and GCSE courses. Those classes have a bundle of past papers to keep them going.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

2) I .

It's not 'useless', and you're awfully opinionated for someone on their 5th post.
    Well I am happy to be corrected, but my limited understanding it that with viruses you only gain an immunity to one strain and when it mutates you can still get infected. So like the flu for example.

I didn't realise there was a threshold for posts before opinions are encouraged.
    Your last sentence did make me laugh out loud

It's certainly an interesting take that you need to reach a certain post threshold before you can express an opinion.

• Options
    Foss said:

ydoethur said:

Outlook I think.
    Be a little cautious of Teams; my Teams using team finds that it sometimes looses or heavily delays messages between users. Just because someone doesn't respond then it doesn't mean they're on the skive.
    All I’m really hoping for is something a bit better than “read this page, make notes and then try these questions”.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

That was mass travel by rats
    Pangolins being not quite so cosmopolitan ?

The classic case, of course, being the post 1492 Americas, where up to 90% of the indigenous populations disappeared over the next couple of centuries.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Europe is the epicentre according to the WHO.

And indeed according to an even higher authority - President Donald Trump himself.
    It started in China not Europe and China still has most cases, Trump banned flights from China before Europe
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Which is when they will be at their greatest risk. As will true information on whether this fires back up again. If they claim it hasn't, will that put pressure on Boris to change tactics?
    I am not sure the British public will accept an app that spies on your every movement and exclude you from society if the AI says you are a potential carrier.

Because this is China's approach to trying to ensure they don't have another implosion. If the system explodes again, they won't be able to hide it.

They will be able to massage the figures (if required) to claim reasonably low levels of new cases, and I think that is their plan. Get people back working, fire fight any hotspots quickly and rush to create a vaccine which they will give to the population without the usual years of trials.

It will be move fast, break stuff. If the vaccine has side effects or isn't 100% effective, the party will probably see that as better than risking a Wuhan episode again.

And they will keep working at it and treatments, and if they need to give people 2-3-4 loads of different vaccines, they will do it.
This discussion has been closed.