Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s inadequate response to Covid-19 will doom his presiden

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,348
    Floater said:

2) I .

So you are going to basically shut off Africa permanently? I am afraid this is pie in the sky stuff.
    I am confident that they will be able to control the disease there eventually too.

But as I mentioned a corona virus test before boarding would have to be in place otherwise.
    It isn't going to happen in the next decade if not longer. Not without herd immunity which is exactly what you are opposing.
    If is a choice between multiple deaths for some with potentially life changing illness for the rest of us and having restrictions to travel to and from Africa for a decade then I would choose the latter, as I think would most people.

This is without considering that it could be us shut off from the outside world if we don't eliminate the disease.
    You won't have that choice. Just as with Trump's idiotic fly ban on the EU, people will always find ways around it. And what about all the refugees? Are you going to start shooting them to stop them getting into Europe? (Note I am not making any claims on refugees being infected, just pointing out the obvious conclusions of your strategy)

As long as the virus is endemic somewhere in the world your strategy fails. We either need a vaccine or we need herd immunity. Those are the only two ways we are going to ever get back to anything approaching normal life.
    Give people a CV test from infected areas before travelling. It's perfectly possible.

Pay to set up safe areas for refugees next to the countries they are fleeing from. Something that should have been done years ago.
    If not we can have quarantined areas set up here for exactly that purpose.

Herd immunity is useless once the virus mutates, which it will.
    It's not 'useless', and you're awfully opinionated for someone on their 5th post.
    Well I am happy to be corrected, but my limited understanding it that with viruses you only gain an immunity to one strain and when it mutates you can still get infected. So like the flu for example.

I didn't realise there was a threshold for posts before opinions are encouraged.
    Your last sentence did make me laugh out loud

It's certainly an interesting take that you need to reach a certain post threshold before you can express an opinion.

And after a certain later threshold you know what most people are going to say before they post....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed but China is the epicentre of this

Europe is the epicentre according to the WHO.

And indeed according to an even higher authority - President Donald Trump himself.
    It started in China not Europe and China still has most cases
    China has less current cases than just Italy if the figures are correct
  • Options

I'm told that China is re-opening. Even Hubei/Wuhan

a) they need to get the economy moving again (and there is going to be a huge demand for things like medical supplies, which cynically big business to be had and from a humanitarian perspective to try and help save as many people as possible).

b) they are now in full propaganda mode, the great leader, the party, the nation have defeated this disease.
    Which is when they will be at their greatest risk. As will true information on whether this fires back up again. If they claim it hasn't, will that put pressure on Boris to change tactics?
    I am not sure the British public will accept an app that spies on your every movement and exclude you from society if the AI says you are a potential carrier.
    Cummings is gaming it ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,439

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

We are in the middle of a profound crisis and PB is debating Sky Sports subscriptions.

Never change PB.

Just another issue in a never ending line of them

Nothing is going to be the same post covid 19

WFH will become the norm for many,
    Many companies will have been forced over the technology hurdle for employees to work at home and will embrace it afterwards. I supsect that many other companies will look at their drop in productivity in the next month and use that as an argument against it. How honest they will be about productivity lost to skyving, and how much to the economic hit of the crisis is another matter.

I also worry about companies starting to insist that employees work much more at home, and these employees feel forced into turning a spare room into a work room, or to rent a 2 bedroom flat rather than a 1 bedroom flat, or devoting 4 square meters of their shared house bedroom to their work. I made the conscious choice to rent a flat with a room I can call an office, in part beause I can afford to. Many others are not in a position to do that, especially in SE England where rents and house prices are so high.
    All my colleagues who regularly WFH have turned bedrooms, garages or sheds into offices.
    As I say many of us choose to turn a bedroom into an office etc. However, a 23 year old with a modest bedroom in a 4 person shared house will find it much more of a burden to work 20+ hours at home than a 55 year old whose eldest daughter graduated last year.
    Buy shares in Regus. Business will at the very least be highly tempted to reduce corporate office space after this. But teams will still need to meet, individuals like you describe will want to work not just at home...
    Have looked at using Regus a few times in the past but they are very much more expensive than smaller similar firms for little or no benefit. They seem busy though so works for them I guess.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Floater said:

2) I .

So you are going to basically shut off Africa permanently? I am afraid this is pie in the sky stuff.
    I am confident that they will be able to control the disease there eventually too.

But as I mentioned a corona virus test before boarding would have to be in place otherwise.
    It isn't going to happen in the next decade if not longer. Not without herd immunity which is exactly what you are opposing.
    If is a choice between multiple deaths for some with potentially life changing illness for the rest of us and having restrictions to travel to and from Africa for a decade then I would choose the latter, as I think would most people.

This is without considering that it could be us shut off from the outside world if we don't eliminate the disease.
    You won't have that choice. Just as with Trump's idiotic fly ban on the EU, people will always find ways around it. And what about all the refugees? Are you going to start shooting them to stop them getting into Europe? (Note I am not making any claims on refugees being infected, just pointing out the obvious conclusions of your strategy)

As long as the virus is endemic somewhere in the world your strategy fails. We either need a vaccine or we need herd immunity. Those are the only two ways we are going to ever get back to anything approaching normal life.
    Give people a CV test from infected areas before travelling. It's perfectly possible.

Pay to set up safe areas for refugees next to the countries they are fleeing from. Something that should have been done years ago.

It's not 'useless', and you're awfully opinionated for someone on their 5th post.
    Well I am happy to be corrected, but my limited understanding it that with viruses you only gain an immunity to one strain and when it mutates you can still get infected. So like the flu for example.

I didn't realise there was a threshold for posts before opinions are encouraged.
    Your last sentence did make me laugh out loud

It's certainly an interesting take that you need to reach a certain post threshold before you can express an opinion.

And after a certain later threshold you know what most people are going to say before they post....
    As it happens I read the text of a post yesterday before I saw who posted it and I knew who it was without needing to look.

:-)
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    JM1 said:

2) I .

The virus does mutate (indeed RNA viruses mutate very rapidly), but at least some of the antibodies you have built up as a result of the first exposure will help temper the response to subsequent incidences if you are exposed to a similar strain in future. Without this, we would all succumb to a serious bout of flu every year.
    Well that is somewhat reassuring, but are they certain corona viruses behave in the same way as for example flu in this manner?

I believe with dengue fever it is actually more dangerous to have developed one immunity as it actively impedes recovery from different strains as your body gets tricked into producing the wrong cells to fight the disease.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,382
    Have been sent a document, 'Temperature and latitude analysis to predict potential spread and seasonality for COVID-19', produced by a team led from the Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland School of Medicine.

The abstract reads:A significant number of infectious diseases display seasonal patterns in their incidence, including human coronaviruses. We hypothesize that SARS-CoV-2 does as well. To date, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), caused by SARS-CoV-2, has established significant community spread in cities and regions only along a narrow east west distribution roughly along the 30-50 N” corridor at consistently similar weather patterns (5-11OC and 47-79% humidity). There has been a lack of significant community establishment in expected locations that are based only on population proximity and extensive population interaction through travel. We have proposed a simplified model that shows a zone at increased risk for COVID-19 spread. Using weather modeling, it may be possible to predict the regions most likely to be at higher risk of significant community spread of COVID-19 in the upcoming weeks, allowing for concentration of public health efforts on surveillance and containment.

Seems to explain why Singapore and Thailand are doing quite well, although Malaysia has more cases, apparently all related to the one gathering.

If anyone's interested I can send a link.
  • Options

Buy shares in Regus. Business will at the very least be highly tempted to reduce corporate office space after this. But teams will still need to meet, individuals like you describe will want to work not just at home...

Have looked at using Regus a few times in the past but they are very much more expensive than smaller similar firms for little or no benefit. They seem busy though so works for them I guess.
    Other office firms are available...! And I suspect after this a lot of new players, or clinging to life little local business centres becoming more popular.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,924

Other office firms are available...! And I suspect after this a lot of new players, or clinging to life little local business centres becoming more popular.
    Perhaps WeWork won't go bust after all :-)
  • Options

Have been sent a document, 'Temperature and latitude analysis to predict potential spread and seasonality for COVID-19', produced by a team led from the Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland School of Medicine.

The abstract reads:A significant number of infectious diseases display seasonal patterns in their incidence, including human coronaviruses. We hypothesize that SARS-CoV-2 does as well. To date, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), caused by SARS-CoV-2, has established significant community spread in cities and regions only along a narrow east west distribution roughly along the 30-50 N” corridor at consistently similar weather patterns (5-11OC and 47-79% humidity). There has been a lack of significant community establishment in expected locations that are based only on population proximity and extensive population interaction through travel. We have proposed a simplified model that shows a zone at increased risk for COVID-19 spread. Using weather modeling, it may be possible to predict the regions most likely to be at higher risk of significant community spread of COVID-19 in the upcoming weeks, allowing for concentration of public health efforts on surveillance and containment.

Seems to explain why Singapore and Thailand are doing quite well, although Malaysia has more cases, apparently all related to the one gathering.

Please
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

isam said:

So National League footie still goes ahead?

Maybe not:

https://twitter.com/khfcofficial/status/1238751797902262272?s=20
    Surprised Sky Sports haven’t bought the rights to the last week of the Pakistan Super League Cricket.
    Sky 732 might be in your normal subscription.
    It is!!!! Normally can't stand the T20 stuff but... and you can bet on it ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,127
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

And indeed according to an even higher authority - President Donald Trump himself.
    Wrong, China still has 4 times the cases of Italy

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    alex_ said:

isam said:

So National League footie still goes ahead?

Maybe not:

https://twitter.com/khfcofficial/status/1238751797902262272?s=20
    Surprised Sky Sports haven’t bought the rights to the last week of the Pakistan Super League Cricket.
    Sky 732 might be in your normal subscription.
    It is!!!! Normally can't stand the T20 stuff but... and you can bet on it ;)
    You bet on limited overs cricket held in the Indian Sub-Continent.....as Sir Humphrey would say, very brave.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,057

ydoethur said:

What a disappointment. With no Premier League football today I thought the next best thing was to be part of the panic buyers at my local Waitrose. Well there were only 3/4 other shoppers and almost all the shelves were full. What's happening to this country?

Morrison’s in Burntwood was the opposite. I went in at 8 to beat the panic buyers. Car park was full and the shelves were half empty. All Fray Bentos pies and most tinned fish had vanished. Two packets of yeast left. Hardly any soap. Bloody hoarders had barely left enough for me to fill two shopping trollies to meet my own simple needs.
    Sainsbury's today -- no tissues, toilet rolls or kitchen rolls. No soap. No frozen fish. Not much paracetamol and no aspirin or ibuprofen. No Coke. Probably around twice as many shoppers as last Saturday. ETA no Dettol.
    Allegedly several members of the cabinet bagged all the coke.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,127
    Time for the West to stand up to the Chinese Communist government
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,295
    My wife has closed her practice down and is home all day so I'm basically living in the workshop. After a great deal of thought and analysis I am ready to announce my Covid-19 celebrity death pool entries:

Barry Humphries (he's about 1,000 years old but is highly sociable)
    Camilla (shakes 100 hands/day and smokes 200 fags/day)
    David Mitchell (wildcard/wishful thinking)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,057
    HYUFD said:

Yeah, that is going to end so well.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    What do we want, large gathering cancelled and schools closed because the government are trying to kill us....where are you now, in a large crowd in Tescos with 100s of people touching everything.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8111897/Britons-form-huge-queues-purchase-toilet-roll-strip-shelves-bare-panic-buying-continues.html
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Just back from the supermarket, plenty of bog rolls but no potatoes, most tinned soup gone all prepacked fresh meat And a few other odd shortages but we won’t run out of wine in Spain.
  • Options

If at stopped at 50N that would be great for the UK!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,295

2) I .

Says the guy whose opinions include that of Jo Cox’s murder being a false flag operation. A period of silence from you would be welcomed by many.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Current cases, he said.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    JM1 said:

Well that is somewhat reassuring, but are they certain corona viruses behave in the same way as for example flu in this manner?

I believe with dengue fever it is actually more dangerous to have developed one immunity as it actively impedes recovery from different strains as your body gets tricked into producing the wrong cells to fight the disease.

I'm not a virologist or immunologist (although do interact daily with colleagues who are) so not best placed to give a definitive answer. However, it's not necessarily the case that a mutation will make the virus more virulent. History suggests that this iteration is pretty nasty so the goal might be to protect against future infection by this, or a similar pathogen. Interestingly, previous coronavirus infections have resulted in evolution of the pathogen whereby it becomes less virulent as it adapts to the host (there was an interesting paper from NUS-Duke on this yesterday).
    So if this is expected to be the nastiest form of the disease, then I don't see the logic in allowing most people to catch it to help protect against milder newer strains later on.

Why not take policies to limit the spread until milder strains are found in other countries and use one of those to help protect the population here?

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,480
    edited March 2020
    "Italy’s struggle with coronavirus threatens all of the eurozone
    Emergency measures are essential but carry risks for the multitude of small, family-run businesses
    TONY BARBER"

https://www.ft.com/content/6d3b5ff4-646c-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

[available via google]
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

Do feel free to explain what you think they should do.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,220
    Anecdote time:

Sainsburys in Keighley didn't have a single bog roll on the shelves this morning. And only a few packets of more expensive pasta. Woman on the checkout said they'd been busy since 8am. Organic avocados were readily available however.

Then passing the local Post Office on the way home a chap was just leaving carrying a 4-pack of bog roll. Shop local for a clean bum.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

So if this is expected to be the nastiest form of the disease, then I don't see the logic in allowing most people to catch it to help protect against milder newer strains later on.

Why not take policies to limit the spread until milder strains are found in other countries and use one of those to help protect the population here?

There are all sorts of ways in which the current policy represents a gamble.
    Though to be fair so do the alternatives.

Various ‘experts’ (and until after this is over, there are no real experts on this pandemic) disagree on the relative odds.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,399

a) they need to get the economy moving again (and there is going to be a huge demand for things like medical supplies, which cynically big business to be had and from a humanitarian perspective to try and help save as many people as possible).

b) they are now in full propaganda mode, the great leader, the party, the nation have defeated this disease.
    I don't blame them. If they HAVE virtually defeated it, they deserve all the credit they can get..

They would however be wise to reopen very slowly and see what happens, for all the reasons that others here have posted.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

I'm not a virologist or immunologist (although do interact daily with colleagues who are) so not best placed to give a definitive answer. However, it's not necessarily the case that a mutation will make the virus more virulent. History suggests that this iteration is pretty nasty so the goal might be to protect against future infection by this, or a similar pathogen. Interestingly, previous coronavirus infections have resulted in evolution of the pathogen whereby it becomes less virulent as it adapts to the host (there was an interesting paper from NUS-Duke on this yesterday).

Various ‘experts’ (and until after this is over, there are no real experts on this pandemic) disagree on the relative odds.
    It seems like an enormous gamble with too many unknowns currently.

Even a policy of delaying until we know a bit more about the disease would be worthwhile in my opinion.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    HYUFD said:

It is time for the West to stand up to all authoritarian governments, but we don't need to embrace conspiracy theories to do it. Tobias Ellwood is revealing himself as an idiot.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,521
    Trump Caught Google Off Guard With a Bogus Coronavirus Site Announcement

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-donald-trump-google-website/
  • Options

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

Even a policy of delaying until we know a bit more about the disease would be worthwhile in my opinion.
    I agree with that sentiment, but the decision has been made.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,228

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

What is your opinion based on?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

And yours ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Current cases, he said.
    Current reported cases, surely. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I don't blame them. If they HAVE virtually defeated it, they deserve all the credit they can get..

They would however be wise to reopen very slowly and see what happens, for all the reasons that others here have posted.
    I don't think even they think they have defeated it. It has been widely reported they are prepping for further outbreaks and likely return next winter. Although they have wound down the sports stadium temporary hospitals, they are still expanding capacities, building apps and other tech.

However, I believe they think that a) they can use their state surveillance power to monitor upticks and better control it than the west and b) are more than happy to extend their move fast and break stuff approach to things like vaccines / treatments.

And in the short term, with the death of the whistle-blower doctor and the total implosion of the system, the party were under pressure and now it is important for them to re-establish the narrative.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

And yours ?
    I didn't state one.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

HYUFD said:

It is time for the West to stand up to all authoritarian governments, but we don't need to embrace conspiracy theories to do it. Tobias Ellwood is revealing himself as an idiot.
    Perhaps its time for the West to find some cohesive values it believes in itself before trying to influence other countries to change. There are elements of authoritarianism at the centre of many western governments including ours, the US and in the EU as well. Trying to influence others when deeply divided internally is unlikely to make much progress.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

Gadfly said:

Mrs Gadfly and I are both in our 60s with underlying chronic health issues and our 3 teacher children are entirely reliant upon us to look after our pre-school grandchildren whilst they're at work.

We are in an incredibly difficult position.

Sympathies - that's really difficult. Without knowing the details it's hard to advise, but have you considered all the otherwise unthinkable options? Might the kids be OK on their own in the parents' homes, with your number to call if they get in difficulty? A lot of kids are much more capable than people think. Might the schools accept your children having emergency days off in rotation? Or, and I don't like saying this, could they pull sickies for a few days each?
    Thanks Nick. Our 3 grandchildren are aged 27 months and less, but I do think your rotational emergency days off or sickies idea may be a way to get us through to the Easter holidays at least!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nichomar said:

Just back from the supermarket, plenty of bog rolls but no potatoes, most tinned soup gone all prepacked fresh meat And a few other odd shortages but we won’t run out of wine in Spain.

In my local supermarket all the potatoes were gone apart from the loose premium (I.e. Still have a bit of soil on them) potatoes
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

My wife has closed her practice down and is home all day so I'm basically living in the workshop*. After a great deal of thought and analysis I am ready to announce my Covid-19 celebrity death pool entries:

Resisting the temptation to play for now.

*Doesn’t she allow you in the house ?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

My wife has closed her practice down and is home all day so I'm basically living in the workshop*. After a great deal of thought and analysis I am ready to announce my Covid-19 celebrity death pool entries:

One of the young arseholes in office wanted to run a sweepstake about first colleague to die of it.

Bleak man, bleak
  • Options
    Alistair said:

nichomar said:

In my local supermarket all the potatoes were gone apart from the loose premium (I.e. Still have a bit of soil on them) potatoes
    The supermarkets today aren't running out of stuff (other than bog roll, pasta* and sanitiser) because of stockpiling. It's because it appears the world and his wife couldn't think of anything else to do on a Saturday morning. There must have been 50% more at least there this morning (a large Sainsburys) than normal. A hell of a lot of the fresh food was empty.

*And they weren't actually "running out", you just had to go round 3 times to time arrival with them refilling the shelves from their stores.

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,166

JM1 said:

One this worth noting is that since this virus makes you infective before you get symptoms it strongly reduces the evolutionary pressure to become more mild.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    China blaming the US for coronavirus is idiotic by them.

It's the one thing that would help Trump.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Try, you know - actually reading what I said
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

The supermarkets today aren't running out of stuff (other than bog roll, pasta* and sanitiser) because of stockpiling. It's because it appears the world and his wife couldn't think of anything else to do on a Saturday morning. There must have been 50% more at least there this morning (a large Sainsburys) than normal. A hell of a lot of the fresh food was empty.

*And they weren't actually "running out", you just had to go round 3 times to time arrival with them refilling the shelves from their stores.

And, as observed above, I came in close contact with far more people than I probably would going to a 50k football match.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

Are these the same people screaming on twitter that the government are trying to kill us and should be stopping sporting events and closing schools?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,082
    Dura_Ace said:

My wife has closed her practice down and is home all day so I'm basically living in the workshop. After a great deal of thought and analysis I am ready to announce my Covid-19 celebrity death pool entries:

Hope Barry is spared (and the rest, obviously).
  • Options

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

Are these the same people screaming on twitter that the government are trying to kill us and should be stopping sporting events and closing schools?
    Not sure - they would have to drag themselves away from twitter and pb.com.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

And, as observed above, I came in close contact with far more people than I probably would going to a 50k football match.
    Bet you didn’t try to high five any of them, though.
  • Options

Anecdote time:

Sainsburys in Keighley didn't have a single bog roll on the shelves this morning. And only a few packets of more expensive pasta. Woman on the checkout said they'd been busy since 8am. Organic avocados were readily available however.

Then passing the local Post Office on the way home a chap was just leaving carrying a 4-pack of bog roll. Shop local for a clean bum.

Bidets to come back into fashion?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

And going for the fresh food? That stuff that everybody will have touched and won't last if the system does break down.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

It's based on the unknowns we have currently, such as:

The long term effects of the disease or even if you can recover completely.

Whether China's policy will work or not (they are opening up again now, so we should get some data soon).

If it is seasonal like flu and if there will be a second wave (the ex-head of the WHO was saying there is no evidence for this).

If or when a vaccine or treatment can be developed, meaning delaying the spread might save a lot of lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

And going for the fresh food? That stuff that everybody will have touched and won't last if the system does break down.
    You can make sauerkraut from fresh produce. Lasted the entire length of Cook's voyage in a barrel, and kept the crew healthy.

Edit: the sauerkraut was in a barrel, not the voyage.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

I'd be more worried about the pin pad.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,295
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes, but a functional marriage cannot be built on being in the same room and talking to each other all day. I am enjoying the more or less non stop cooking that's going on.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

You'll notice my point above saying that this wasn't stockpiling. Just higher numbers than usual. Possibly because the online shopping isn't geared up to take the strain. So no choice but to revert to traditional shopping methods.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

Whether China's policy will work or not (they are opening up again now, so we should get some data soon).

If it is seasonal like flu and if there will be a second wave (the ex-head of the WHO was saying there is no evidence for this).

If or when a vaccine or treatment can be developed, meaning delaying the spread might save a lot of lives.
    Perhaps the view of the advisors is that delay is impossible, or risks moving the peak of the outbreak into the winter?

The third wave statement confused me. I think that's referring to an additional wave after lockdown restrictions are removed, rather than talking about seasonality? But I may have misinterpreted what you wrote.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Gabs3 said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps its time for the West to find some cohesive values it believes in itself before trying to influence other countries to change. There are elements of authoritarianism at the centre of many western governments including ours, the US and in the EU as well. Trying to influence others when deeply divided internally is unlikely to make much progress.
    I am the first to criticize authoritarian leanings at home but to pretend these are anywhere comparable to the level of government abuse in China, Russia etc. Is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

Absolutely.

I don't envy the behavioural insight team trying to model what irrational things people will do in their panic.
  • Options

RobD said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

Absolutely.

I don't envy the behavioural insight team trying to model what irrational things people will do in their panic.
    The advice is easy though - wash your hands after touching something others will have touched.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,585
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

You'll notice my point above saying that this wasn't stockpiling. Just higher numbers than usual. Possibly because the online shopping isn't geared up to take the strain. So no choice but to revert to traditional shopping methods.
    An actually intelligent idea would be to cook and freeze home made meals. That way, if/when you get ill, the microwave will be your friend.
  • Options

Anecdote time:

Bidets to come back into fashion?
    Already got one!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited March 2020
    I think there are some dramatic limits to free movement around the country about to be According to what RTVE has been able to know, the restriction of movements that the state of alarm entails -whose measures will detail Pedro Sánchez from 3:00 pm- will have some exceptions such as the purchase of basic necessities and pharmacies, the care of the elderly, assistance to health centers, hospitals and work centers, among others.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

It’s a bit like the herd behaviour before Christmas, except this time there was still fresh sage on the shelves.
    (From Italy, incidentally.)
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

Look at the numbers of active cases though, Italy has overtaken China and they're heading in opposite directions.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

An actually intelligent idea would be to cook and freeze home made meals. That way, if/when you get ill, the microwave will be your friend.
    That is a very sensible idea. Again, I would hope the government would be messaging this.

They really need ads having a checklist of essentials from drugs to steps to make life easier.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

Perhaps the view of the advisors is that delay is impossible, or risks moving the peak of the outbreak into the winter?

The third wave statement confused me. I think that's referring to an additional wave after lockdown restrictions are removed, rather than talking about seasonality? But I may have misinterpreted what you wrote.
    Well it is clearly possible to delay it as China have shown, but it is weighing up whether it is worth it compared to the economic cost.

They may be to contain this with one big lockdown, followed by several smaller lockdowns that eliminate the disease eventually. We will be able to see if it works and adjust our policy accordingly.
  • Options

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

The Government's policy isn't based on killing large numbers of people this summer. It explicitly isn't. It is relying on large numbers of people catching the virus. But generally those who will survive it, and during a period when the NHS has capacity. There is no "precautionary" approach on this. If treatments and/or vaccines were advanced by winter then we will still benefit from it. We will still be trying to build in extra winter capacity.

But we hopefully will have an added advantage of a measure of herd immunity. It is just wrong to suggest that the risks are all on the Government approach.

And if it does look like even under the current approach the NHS can't cope in summer there will no doubt be a ramping up of clamp down measures.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,150
    Just took a trip to my local microbrewery and went a bit @eadric.

Bought half-a-dozen of these:

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,126
    Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m
    He didn’t say that and it’s dangerous to spread lies in a national crisis
    😡
    . This tweet should be deleted immediately.
    Quote Tweet
    Carole Cadwalladr
    @carolecadwalla
    · 17h
    Director of World Health Organisation: Britain’s strategy is ‘wrong & dangerous’

https://theguardian.com/world/2020/mar

Both she and her 'newspaper' are pond life scum!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

It’s a bit like the herd behaviour before Christmas, except this time there was still fresh sage on the shelves.
    (From Italy, incidentally.)
    It was very like pre-Christmas
  • Options

What do we want, large gathering cancelled and schools closed because the government are trying to kill us....where are you now, in a large crowd in Tescos with 100s of people touching everything.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8111897/Britons-form-huge-queues-purchase-toilet-roll-strip-shelves-bare-panic-buying-continues.html

If we are looking at multi month lock downs, everyone have 6 months of non-persishable consumables is rather sensible.

From talking to people, their aim seems to be to reduce the amount of shopping required to live to a minimum for x months.
  • Options
    OK, this thing about experts giving different advice. What could be behind this is that they are being asked different questions.

WHO and various governments are asking 'How do we minimise the spread?'

UK government is asking 'How do we minimise the economic impact?'

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    felix said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m
    😡
    Quote Tweet
    Carole Cadwalladr
    @carolecadwalla
    · 17h
    Director of World Health Organisation: Britain’s strategy is ‘wrong & dangerous’

Large sections of the media are still treating this is as normal times and all about the skewering the government to gain your credits on the twitter.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

Well it is clearly possible to delay it as China have shown, but it is weighing up whether it is worth it compared to the economic cost.

They may be to contain this with one big lockdown, followed by several smaller lockdowns that eliminate the disease eventually. We will be able to see if it works and adjust our policy accordingly.
    They can't exactly eliminate it if it continues all over the rest of the world.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,087

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

That's what I have done. I have about 30 home made meals in the freezer. Spag bol, thick chicken stew, thai green curry. Plus a large iberica ham which will last another 10 days, washed down with ice cold fino. Plenty of spaghetti and rice. Feeling fine on day five. Just missing the exercise and fresh air.
  • Options

OK, this thing about experts giving different advice. What could be behind this is that they are being asked different questions.

Others: How do we contain this?

UK: How do we mitigate this?

Given containment has failed, only one of the two is asking the right question.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

The measures China used were extraordinary. Could you imagine seeing apartments being welded shut in the UK?

On your point about the multiple lockdowns. Perhaps the modeling suggests that is a worse outcome than a single outbreak?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Alistair said:

nichomar said:

That's what I have done. I have about 30 home made meals in the freezer. Spag bol, thick chicken stew, thai green curry. Plus a large iberica ham which will last another 10 days, washed down with ice cold fino. Plenty of spaghetti and rice. Feeling fine on day five. Just missing the exercise and fresh air.
    Sounds great...can we all come around to yours for our tea?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If you hadn't heard of him before, W John Edmunds has a very impressive career - one of the top economic epidemiologists around, former head of economics and modelling at the Health Protection Agency (now PHE) with extensive research into pandemic influenza which is a good preparation for this crisis.

He was very impressive - the funniest part was Tomas the motivational speaker kept touching his face......and in the end admitted that the ultimate solution is herd immunity - but didn't explain how perpetual lockdown would achieve that.....their conversation is well worth watching. Calm, precise, deliberate vs emotional histrionics.
    He doesn't sound or look like a stereotypical egghead, but I once went to a talk by Edmunds where he had a brainfreeze and then spent several minutes unpicking what he'd just said/done in one of those horrific moments of self-doubt all public speakers dread. The contrast between the innocuously simple detail he had got tripped up by, and his obvious intellectual capacity when handling the rest of the material, reminded me of bygone uni lectures by internationally esteemed mathematicians who'd surprisingly often tie themselves in knots over mangled basic algebra when at the chalkboard. (That was a couple of decades ago, before Beamer existed, so I suspect their modern equivalents just whack on a slideshow and their students assume they're infallible.) That's the moment that truly qualified Edmunds as a "proper boffin", in my eyes at least. Though given their presentational eccentricities I would have dreaded any of my old maths professors being put anywhere in front of a camera - let alone to defend an epoch-defining life-and-death policy!

I did watch that Channel 4 interview somewhat on the edge of my seat, just in case the pressure of the cameras or the unconventional nature of his co-interviewee might trigger an unbearable-to-watch brain-hiccup, but he sailed through, unfazed and measured.

If Edmunds ever turns round and says "I cannot support the government's policy announcements, they are no longer grounded in the evidence" that would alarm me ten thousand times more than the recent protests of Richard Horton (Lancet editor) or John Ashton (until recently President of the Faculty of Public Health). I fear to the general public that an expert is an expert is an expert, and if they hold a prestigious title all the better regardless of their biases and what relevance their expertise actually holds to the problem at hand, but an expert whose views chime with mine has qualifications worth far more than an expert whose views I don't like.
    John is a really good guy. I only met him a couple of times in my time at LSHTM - he was far too busy for the mundane committees and stuff I was involved in - but he was seriously impressive. So glad that we fought so hard to protect his budget :smiley:
  • Options
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

The Government's policy isn't based on killing large numbers of people this summer. It explicitly isn't. It is relying on large numbers of people catching the virus. But generally those who will survive it, and during a period when the NHS has capacity. There is no "precautionary" approach on this. If treatments and/or vaccines were advanced by winter then we will still benefit from it. We will still be trying to build in extra winter capacity.

But we hopefully will have an added advantage of a measure of herd immunity. It is just wrong to suggest that the risks are all on the Government approach.

And if it does look like even under the current approach the NHS can't cope in summer there will no doubt be a ramping up of clamp down measures.
    I don't think just having a large proportion of people surviving the disease is something to aim for.

What about those who are disabled from having permanently damaged lungs? What about other currently unknown long term effects?

We are lucky as we have several countries ahead of us showing us whether their methods will work and whether we should copy them or not.
  • Options
    felix said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m
    😡
    Quote Tweet
    Carole Cadwalladr
    @carolecadwalla
    · 17h

Why am I not surprised she is spreading fake news on this?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

felix said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m
    😡
    Quote Tweet
    Carole Cadwalladr
    @carolecadwalla
    · 17h

Has she blamed Brexit, Aaron Banks or Russians interference yet?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,987

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

I don't think just having a large proportion of people surviving the disease is something to aim for.

What about those who are disabled from having permanently damaged lungs? What about other currently unknown long term effects?

We are lucky as we have several countries ahead of us showing us whether their methods will work and whether we should copy them or not.
    Stop panicking and grow up. There isn’t any way forward that avoids some bad news.
  • Options

Perhaps the UK government is thinking that not every country will be effective at minimising the spread, so it's never going to be eliminated anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The Spanish government is to put the country under lockdown as part of its state of emergency measures meant to combat the coronavirus, several media including El Mundo and Cadena Ser have reported.

The government is expected to say that all Spaniards must stay home except to buy food or drugs, go to the hospital, go to work or other emergencies, El Mundo said.

So not really a lockdown.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

2) I .

Loo
    I'm glad you're happy to be corrected - good to see a poster downthread has done just that.

There is no threshold on posts to 'have an opinion', but it is quite unusual to express it at length in very decided terms when you're new to posting. Unfortunately, on PB, some of our less hinged members are on their 4th or 5th username, having been banned for one reason or another, and at least one member has several going all at once. It is not at all unlikely that this person would launch yet another persona to support his own views on what has become quite a heated debate here. So forgive me for being suspicious.
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m
    😡
    Quote Tweet
    Carole Cadwalladr
    @carolecadwalla
    · 17h

Her twitter feed is one long thread of lies and misinformation. I saw one tweet about how GP surgeries are acting against Govt advice to take their own precautions. I know they aren't. They are acting explicitly on guidance from the Dept of Health.
  • Options
    Had an interesting chat with guy doing maintenance on the London Tube yesterday (parked up in the van outside waiting for shutdown).

Apparently, there are teams of vital workers in various industries - rail, power, water already in lockdown. They are being paid 24/7 to camp in remote(ish) industrial/maintenance facilities out of contact with anyone. Apparently, the idea is that even if everyone else come down with the lurgy, they can keep things going.

The chap in question was rather keen on getting in on the next round - the idea is that after x months in isolation, a replacement team will be setup, wait a bit to make sure none are sick and then then first team comes.. out??

The reason he was keen was the full hourly rate 24/7.... Didn't ask his hourly rate, but got to be something north of £50...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

Perhaps the UK government is thinking that not every country will be effective at minimising the spread, so it's never going to be eliminated anyway.
    Lets be real, most of Africa isn't going to be able to if it does in fact survive in hot climates.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Gabs3 said:

HYUFD said:

You know for certain it’s not linked to a bio weapon?
  • Options

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

Given the basis of the Govt strategy is long term, other countries being a few weeks or months ahead of us will likely not reveal anything. Except how quickly the virus can be rapidly (but likely temporarily) shut down at times of peak infection.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

JM1 said:

Stop panicking and grow up. There isn’t any way forward that avoids some bad news.
    Why is asking sceptical questions about government policy ‘panicking’ ?
    And who made you the authority on maturity ?
This discussion has been closed.