Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s Republicans move drop below a 50% betting chance for W

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464
    FF43 said:

Re previous header topic.

The government's main aims for managing the epidemic appear to be (1) achieve 60% infection rate and herd immunity in a relatively short timeframe; (2) keep demand on hospital ICUs relatively manageable. That being the case, keeping schools open and holding large sporting events makes a lot of sense. Young and fit people will merrily and efficiently infect each other, without hopefully too much damage. While they will pass on secondary infections to older and less well people, the mix of vulnerable to healthy victims is relatively smaller than dragging it out.

That doesn't necessarily sit with ordinary people's agendas of not getting infected in the first place, and we would rather not be part of some nationwide lab experiment, thank-you very much.

You are going to be exposed to this - the only question is when. Trying to make the virus extinct in humans without herd immunity (whether acquired by vaccine or having the disease) wont work.
  • The Masters is postponed.

Shit just got real.
    Do we think the Grand National will take place?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453

The Masters is postponed.

Shit just got real.
    No.
  • The Masters is postponed.

Shit just got real.
    No
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    edited March 2020

FF43 said:

The government's main aims for managing the epidemic appear to be (1) achieve 60% infection rate and herd immunity in a relatively short timeframe; (2) keep demand on hospital ICUs relatively manageable. That being the case, keeping schools open and holding large sporting events makes a lot of sense. Young and fit people will merrily and efficiently infect each other, without hopefully too much damage. While they will pass on secondary infections to older and less well people, the mix of vulnerable to healthy victims is relatively smaller than dragging it out.

That doesn't necessarily sit with ordinary people's agendas of not getting infected in the first place, and we would rather not be part of some nationwide lab experiment, thank-you very much.

You are going to be exposed to this - the only question is when. Trying to make the virus extinct in humans without herd immunity (whether acquired by vaccine or having the disease) wont work.
    What I am trying to get my head around is that not only does the government clearly not think there will be a vaccine in the next year, and that there won't be any real effective drugs to treat those with it. They also don't think that there will be any real development in "best practice" in the near term. If they did, they would be hoping to buy more months and hope that experiences from around the world would better inform when those who need hospital treatment need to be admitted, which patients stand a chance when in ICU etc.

It does seem like they really don't think any of this will progress much at all this year or next.

I think the countries who are trying to depress this hope is that when it springs up again a) they are better prepared to deal with it and b) that 6 months of learning more about it, they will have better ability to minimise the death rate.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006

Klopp didn't give a toss about that game on Tuesday. He knew what was going on..

I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
    Jürgen

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/390397-jurgen-klopp-message-to-supporters

Good on him for that but it doesn't quite gel with going ahead with a game against Madrid 48 hours ago.

To continue our discussion from the last thread I am angry because my wife and I are in the vulnerable category and are being cautious. We live in Cheshire and had somebody come to the house to do some work yesterday and as he was leaving he happened to comment that he's been at the Liverpool game the night before and it had been great before the game, all singing in the pub with the Madrid fans. It pissed me off frankly and it will piss me off even more if infections grow in the northwest because of it.
    Andy_JS said:

Confirmation of what we already know and what other European countries don't agree with:

"Millions of Britons will need to contract coronavirus in order to control the impact of the disease which is likely to return "year on year", the government's chief scientific adviser has told Sky News.

Around 60% of the UK population will need to become infected with coronavirus in order for society to have "herd immunity" from future outbreaks, Sir Patrick Vallance said."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-millions-of-britons-will-need-to-contract-covid-19-for-herd-immunity-11956793

Apart from Germany, of course, where they expect exactly that according to some random lady on TV
  • Banning Hawaiians pizzas as well.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,064
    edited March 2020
    May elections postponed for 12 months
  • Sky: Local Elections postponed
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276
    Strongman.
  • Elections postponed for 12 months.

Check this Ts and Cs.
  • Ooh, Rory Stewart will be FUMING.

Banning Hawaiians pizzas as well.
    It can't have got THAT bad?

That's a police state that is....
    kinabalu said:

Strongman.
    We are going to find that Trump is also some genetic freak that is immune to this aren't we.

Banning Hawaiians pizzas as well.
    I am personally looking forward to more time watching my favourite Christmas movies....
  • Floater said:

I also understand people are STILL rocking up to A and E thinking they might have it (and they did ) and risking infecting many others - including NHS staff who we really need to protect.

My wife needed to go to Urgent Care this morning. Blessedly quiet, bar the young woman having a row with staff who told her in no uncertain terms to leave NOW if she thought she had any symptoms.

A three part problem:
    1. The guidance is counter-factual - don't go to get help if you are ill?
    2. We tried ringing 111 yesterday evening, message advised of at least 1hr on hold and thats with repeated instructions for CV questions to go off the line
    3. A reasonable percentage of the population are naturally stupid, and kept stupid by certain newspapers. A large part of the Number 10 / Boffins strategy is "use common sense". A lot of people don't have any.

FF43 said:

What I am trying to get my head around is that not only does the government clearly not think there will be a vaccine in the next year, and that there won't be any real effective drugs to treat those with it. They also don't think that there will be any real development in "best practice" in the near term. If they did, they would be hoping to buy more months and hope that experiences from around the world would better inform when those who need hospital treatment need to be admitted, which patients stand a chance when in ICU etc.

It does seem like they really don't think any of this will progress much at all this year or next.

I think the countries who are trying to depress this hope is that when it springs up again a) they are better prepared to deal with it and b) that 6 months of learning more about it, they will have better ability to minimise the death rate.
    Give a politician to kick the can down the road - they always do... well, nearly always.

Floater said:

I also understand people are STILL rocking up to A and E thinking they might have it (and they did ) and risking infecting many others - including NHS staff who we really need to protect.

My wife needed to go to Urgent Care this morning. Blessedly quiet, bar the young woman having a row with staff who told her in no uncertain terms to leave NOW if she thought she had any symptoms.

A three part problem:
    1. The guidance is counter-factual - don't go to get help if you are ill?
    2. We tried ringing 111 yesterday evening, message advised of at least 1hr on hold and thats with repeated instructions for CV questions to go off the line
    3. A reasonable percentage of the population are naturally stupid, and kept stupid by certain newspapers. A large part of the Number 10 / Boffins strategy is "use common sense". A lot of people don't have any.
    I am really surprised they haven't deployed GE type strategy blasted across tv and social media.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276

We are going to find that Trump is also some genetic freak that is immune to this aren't we.

Well contrary to what many say I think Trump looks robust and healthy for his age. So, no, I think it will be the electorate not a virus that does the job.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821

But but but - won't they think of those of us expecting a big payout on Sadiq Khan?
  • Banning Hawaiians pizzas as well.
    I am personally looking forward to more time watching my favourite Christmas movies....
    This is the perfect time to watch Die Hard.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,581

Ooh, Rory Stewart will be FUMING.

Maybe, maybe not. He now has 12 months to:
    1. Displace Bailey as the not-Khan candidate;
    2. Pull Khan's own support down to something beatable.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,539
    Sensible move on the elections.
    edited March 2020
    That fits with the model of 2-3 weeks left of gradual increase in "community transmission", 9 weeks of shit hitting fan, a month cool down.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,128
    Nottingham University has just sent all their students an email stating that from 23rd March there will be no face to face lectures, seminars or tutorials. Everything will be moving online and the next week will be transition to test everything out.

The University will remain open but all teaching will be online until further notice.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,407
    OllyT said:

Klopp didn't give a toss about that game on Tuesday. He knew what was going on..

I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
    Jürgen

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/390397-jurgen-klopp-message-to-supporters

Good on him for that but it doesn't quite gel with going ahead with a game against Madrid 48 hours ago.

To continue our discussion from the last thread I am angry because my wife and I are in the vulnerable category and are being cautious. We live in Cheshire and had somebody come to the house to do some work yesterday and as he was leaving he happened to comment that he's been at the Liverpool game the night before and it had been great before the game, all singing in the pub with the Madrid fans. It pissed me off frankly and it will piss me off even more if infections grow in the northwest because of it.
    Not sure the club could have unilaterally called the match off, they will turn up and play unless they're told not to. If there is any blame it's with UEFA who organise the competition.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

Rory who?

I like the guy, I will vote for him, but his game plan can't seriously be the mayoralty.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876

So long as it doesn't become a habit.
  • kinabalu said:

Well contrary to what many say I think Trump looks robust and healthy for his age. So, no, I think it will be the electorate not a virus that does the job.
    I have reservations on both but I want Trump out every bit as much as you do

Wanting and wishing it to happen does not make it happen unfortunately
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2020

He has also done himself a lot of damage.

I see on his twitter feed that he is busy tweeting that epidemiology professors like Professor Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, London are wrong.

I hope to hear nothing more from Rory -- or Nigel Farage or Piers Morgan.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,106
    IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

Just do you duty, and get infected. When the time is right.
    It's just possible that Boris and friends have actually got it right. It fits the pattern of him being a lucky general.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Counterintuitively, given all my previous posts, I have bought into Carnival shares. If any industry is going to be first in line for state aid, it’s going to be the cruising industry, and the shares are now down to almost a quarter of their value a few years back.

Brave
    In the Sir Humphrey sense of the word.

Although, that much said, cruises are favoured by oldies and they are typically creatures of habit. Given that the Government has only advised, rather than ordered, older people not to go on cruises, how many do we think will actually take the advice?

Indeed, it would be fascinating to know how many people are still booking to go on the blessed things even now.
    Currently there is a flood of cancellations, with remaining passengers in denial as cruise company after company cancels their summer offerings. The industry is in real trouble, which is why I think someone will intervene. My exposure on carnival is, at worse, £1200, and I stand to gain onboard credit for the 2021 return trip on the QM2 to the US that I have booked for spring next year. Whatever else happens to the world, I don’t believe that such an iconic ocean crossing will ever be allowed to fold.
    This is just an observation but the collapse of a company doesn't necessarily mean the ocean crossing ends, does it? The ship could be sold by the administrators and a new company operate the service?
    More likely they'd go Chapter 11 like most US airlines will.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006
    Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
    Jürgen

Not sure the club could have unilaterally called the match off, they will turn up and play unless they're told not to. If there is any blame it's with UEFA who organise the competition.
    As I understand it they could certainly have decided to play it behind closed doors like Uniited's game 24 hours later
  • Nottingham University has just sent all their students an email stating that from 23rd March there will be no face to face lectures, seminars or tutorials. Everything will be moving online and the next week will be transition to test everything out.

The University will remain open but all teaching will be online until further notice.

Model for the future
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,559
    Just seen the locals are being postponed. I'm supposed to be standing down this year and have long promised my wife that she gets to see me after May.

Am I really that hard to get rid of? Awkward conversations this weekend. But elections divide us by their nature and we don't need that right now.

Only 22 new coro-chan cases detected in Japan today

(Caveat: Testing is still a bit pants)

Great!

(Maybe)
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,843
    tpfkar said:

Just seen the locals are being postponed. I'm supposed to be standing down this year and have long promised my wife that she gets to see me after May.

Am I really that hard to get rid of? Awkward conversations this weekend. But elections divide us by their nature and we don't need that right now.

Strangely the mayoral elections in France are going ahead this weekend. Considering all the other measures announced I'm surprised they haven't postponed it.

I thought he was pushing for urgent action?
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Andy_JS said:

Confirmation of what we already know and what other European countries don't agree with:

"Millions of Britons will need to contract coronavirus in order to control the impact of the disease which is likely to return "year on year", the government's chief scientific adviser has told Sky News.

Around 60% of the UK population will need to become infected with coronavirus in order for society to have "herd immunity" from future outbreaks, Sir Patrick Vallance said."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-millions-of-britons-will-need-to-contract-covid-19-for-herd-immunity-11956793

So they are lining 1% - 3% of us (650,000 - 1.9m) up against the wall for execution? And this is supposed to be a viable strategy that the public will back?

What are they on? Crack-cocaine?

Nottingham University has just sent all their students an email stating that from 23rd March there will be no face to face lectures, seminars or tutorials. Everything will be moving online and the next week will be transition to test everything out.

Model for the future
    You can't run an entire university system on parties, bars, pubs and nightclubs alone. You have to have a semblance of a reason for being there or your parents might rumble you. And that would be the end of civilisation as we know it.

• ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264

Same with Soton, bar next week being cancelled completely.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

Is this the same Donald Trump who just a fortnight ago declared coronavirus to be a "democratic hoax"?

And markets are already tanking again...
    All hail the Bear-Finder General.

Andy_JS said:

So they are lining 1% - 3% of us (650,000 - 1.9m) up against the wall for execution? And this is supposed to be a viable strategy that the public will back?

Better long term plan awaited. It isn't governments or doctors that invent new viruses.

• felixfelix Posts: 15,141

Model for the future
    Closing of universities and schools in Spain has led to thoudands of families in the north and centre heading to the Costas in the south and west - result lockdowns in Alicante and part of Murcia as numbers of cases soar and spread. Who knew! We now have a state of emergency in the whole country. Everyone still sure that the UK has got this all wrong? 3 days ago there were very few cases overall in much of southern Spain.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759
    Nigelb said:
    They've obviously not seen the advice on joining hands.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    After a quick swatch of the local supermarkets this afternoon, the one absolute prediction that I'll make about the current & ongoing crisis is that kitchen rolls are going to be seeing a lot of action to which they have so far been unaccustomed.

Rory who?

I like the guy, I will vote for him, but his game plan can't seriously be the mayoralty.
    Like I say, he now has 12 months to gain widespread media coverage.

I don't expect him to win but it's a more plausible route now.
    Chameleon said:

Institutions have a duty of care to their employees, so I don't see how they avoid making this kind of decision.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    Will be a bumper set of elections next May then with county council, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish elections too
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    tpfkar said:

You could presumably resign and trigger a by-election. However how wise that is might not be known.
  • LTMLTM Posts: 1
    Please can we get a market for Trump to get C-Virus? I’d give it a flutter
    Going to be a much bigger contest next year.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Andy_JS said:

I can see the public health officials in the UK will share the fate of Ignaz Semmelweis

Semmelweis was right about the transmission of puerperal fever, but he was ridiculed by the grossly ignorant, dismissed from his job as Professor and died in a straitjacket in an asylum.

(His home is now a wonderful museum in Budapest).

Nigelb said:
    Disposable gloves included, I'm sure.

He has also done himself a lot of damage.

I see on his twitter feed that he is busy tweeting that epidemiology professors like Professor Neil Ferguson of Imperial College, London are wrong.

I hope to hear nothing more from Rory -- or Nigel Farage or Piers Morgan.
    I think it's too early to make that call. When people like Jeremy Hunt - who must have been well-briefed on pandemic plans in the recent past - are expressing concern, I don't think we can give the experts a blank cheque.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Query: if unis move to online teaching only, how does this stand with visa conditions for overseas students?

I know some universities already offer "blended learning" whereby students can take certain courses either face-to-face or online as part of a distance-learning option. That's useful for e.g. mature students with work or childcare responsibilities, or for people taking unusual subject combinations who would otherwise face a timetabling clash. In some cases there are limitations on the number of courses you can take online (unless you're doing a full-blown distance-learning degree, which may have different assessment rules and a slightly different-looking degree certificate), with a requirement on minimum percent of the degree credits being face-to-face. However, at every uni I know that offers this, overseas students are not allowed to take the online courses because it would breach education visa requirements over minimum contact hours for full-time study.

Are these rules going to be waived for the foreseeable future?
    LTM said:

Please can we get a market for Trump to get C-Virus? I’d give it a flutter

I believe TSE pointed out there is one.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

Going to be a much bigger contest next year.
    I am pleased we aren't talking about a highly contentious argument about holding national elections.
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
    Jürgen

As I understand it they could certainly have decided to play it behind closed doors like Uniited's game 24 hours later
    Pressure from TV companies, no doubt.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    kinabalu said:

Strongman.
    Best of three?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    edited March 2020
    Good set of Arizona polls for Biden today but nationally he is not polling much better than Kerry was v Bush in early 2004 or Romney was v Obama in early 2012

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1238476090135515139?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1238476426564767745?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1238474970310868992?s=20

Andy_JS said:

Remind us of your proposed strategy and qualifications for having one?

After a quick swatch of the local supermarkets this afternoon, the one absolute prediction that I'll make about the current & ongoing crisis is that kitchen rolls are going to be seeing a lot of action to which they have so far been unaccustomed.

Buy shares in dyno rod pronto.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,175
    edited March 2020
    COVID weekly increases by nation between day 2 and 9 of each nation exceeding 1 case per million (i.e. comparing to where UK is today)

Spain 885% (just below 10x increase)
    Italy 797%
    France 639%
    South Korea 627%
    Germany 589%
    UK 398%
    China 353%
    Japan 81%
    USA on day 5
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 756
    felix said:

Buy shares in dyno rod pronto.
    How do I long Pornhub?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507

Nigelb said:
    :D Bravo
    Discovery of a 382-nt deletion during the early evolution of SARS-CoV-2

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.987222v1
    To date, the SARS-CoV-2 genome has been considered genetically more stable than SARS-CoV or MERS-CoV. Here we report a 382-nt deletion covering almost the entire open reading frame 8 (ORF8) of SARS-CoV-2 obtained from eight hospitalized patients in Singapore. The deletion also removes the ORF8 transcription-regulatory sequence (TRS), which in turn enhances the downstream transcription of the N gene. We also found that viruses with the deletion have been circulating for at least four weeks. During the SARS-CoV outbreak in 2003, a number of genetic variants were observed in the human population, and similar variation has since been observed across SARS-related CoVs in humans and bats. Overwhelmingly these viruses had mutations or deletions in ORF8, that have been associated with reduced replicative fitness of the virus. This is also consistent with the observation that towards the end of the outbreak sequences obtained from human SARS cases possessed an ORF8 deletion that may be associated with host adaptation. We therefore hypothesise that the major deletion revealed in this study may lead to an attenuated phenotype of SARS-CoV-2.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    First death in Scotland.
  • twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2020
    My GP surgery is going telephone consultations only as from Monday, operating a triage system. Its going to get messy isn't it?
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,603
    eadric said:

Thanks for the advice on logging in to vanilla, then rejoining the main site, but it still doesn't work for me. Frustrating.

I do, however, accept that in the current circumstances, this is something of a second order problem.

I have the same problem logging in with Chrome on my home PC, but I'm pretty sure doing 'Restore Default Settings' rectified it at one point. (My work laptop is fine however.)
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,357
    edited March 2020
    Local elections postponed for a year
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539

Is this the same Donald Trump who just a fortnight ago declared coronavirus to be a "democratic hoax"?
    Or a way to engineer postponing the election?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Counterintuitively, given all my previous posts, I have bought into Carnival shares. If any industry is going to be first in line for state aid, it’s going to be the cruising industry, and the shares are now down to almost a quarter of their value a few years back.

Carnival is a US company that owns Cunard, P&O Cruises and Princess Cruises (as in Grand and Diamond) amongst others.
    It is a great shame that they have been particularly badly hit, but why would they qualify for state aid - and which state would that be?
    Despite being a US company, there's very few Americans employed by them. Almost all of the onboard staff are from the third world. No government is going to bail them out.
    Carnival owes $10bn (those ships don't come cheap), so it's entirely possible there will be a lot of pressure on governments to step in
    Auction off the assets for $5bn, and the other $5bn is the risk the bank took in advancing the money in the first place. You're not suggesting that failing business models should be propped up by governments, surely? ;)
    If carnival is smart, though, they will have done a lot of borrowing from a mid sized bank in a marginal Congressional district.

But, you're right. Let it go bust and sell the assets. Maybe it's time to see if we can pick up a cheap cruise liner
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Floater said:

WTF have our people being doing - they knew this was coming

Just heard there is a lack of PPE (including masks) at my local hospital.

But the worst story of recent days I heard was of a flight into Switzerland 150 passengers on board - on DISEMBARKATION passenger advises crew he has it. When asked why he travelled and put others at risk the answer was - If I said anything would not have been allowed to travel and I think Swiss healthcare best in world so wanted to get home.....

Shoot that fecker now.

Bill him for the cost of quarantining 150 people
    Nigelb said:

To date, the SARS-CoV-2 genome has been considered genetically more stable than SARS-CoV or MERS-CoV. Here we report a 382-nt deletion covering almost the entire open reading frame 8 (ORF8) of SARS-CoV-2 obtained from eight hospitalized patients in Singapore. The deletion also removes the ORF8 transcription-regulatory sequence (TRS), which in turn enhances the downstream transcription of the N gene. We also found that viruses with the deletion have been circulating for at least four weeks. During the SARS-CoV outbreak in 2003, a number of genetic variants were observed in the human population, and similar variation has since been observed across SARS-related CoVs in humans and bats. Overwhelmingly these viruses had mutations or deletions in ORF8, that have been associated with reduced replicative fitness of the virus. This is also consistent with the observation that towards the end of the outbreak sequences obtained from human SARS cases possessed an ORF8 deletion that may be associated with host adaptation. We therefore hypothesise that the major deletion revealed in this study may lead to an attenuated phenotype of SARS-CoV-2.

and this means?
    What I find weird about Trump hob knobbing with all these people. Normally when an emergency hits e.g. a chemical weapon went off, they would have a president in the bunker in 2s. Is he just ignoring all the advice, or have they told him he can't be seen to change his normal routine?

I am presuming old Winnie the Pooh over in China didn't spent his weeks having dinner with a loads on untested people.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873

Lot of extra business for Dynorod then.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    HYUFD said:

Will be a bumper set of elections next May then with county council, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish elections too
    But 500,000 fewer voters.
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

WTF have our people being doing - they knew this was coming

Just heard there is a lack of PPE (including masks) at my local hospital.

To repeat what I said this morning, I was shocked to find that a local GP surgery hadn't got any special plans to deal with vulnerable people who have to regularly attend for blood prick tests for ongoing health conditions.

If one person in that surgery gets it, you are putting a huge number of the individuals in danger.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,175
    DavidL said:

Pro_Rata said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

What relevance does the daily number of cases have, if based on increased testing and the govt scientists think they are out by a factor of 10 anyway?

We need the hospitalisation numbers because they are meaningful figures which also speak to the health service’s ability to cope.

I agree that the statistics we are getting at the moment are completely useless and misleading except in the broad direction and likely to become even more so given the major changes in policy for testing announced yesterday.

What we need are:
    * the number of covid 19 sufferers currently in ICUs
    * the number of ICUs available by area.
    *the number discharged.
    * the number of deaths (which we do get).
    ICU information is the single most likely trigger of widespread panic I can think of.
    Back of an envelope on ICUs:

UK has 4000 ICUs of which 800 were free.
    Finger in air, with deferring elective use and winter's end, we can get to 1800 free for COVID (the exact number here will not negate the order of magnitude calculation).
    So, approx 3 ICU beds per 100k people.
    Italy, when not under stress, had around 10% of patients on ICU (this has dipped to around 9%, but difficult to know if that is due to health services stress or case evolution)
    So, an active infection rate of around 30 per 100k, nationally, regionally, locally, in the UK will create ICU stress.
    Many patients needing ICU will already be hospitalised, suggesting a locally available ICU will be much preferable, but I'd imagine ambulance transfers are unavoidable to some degree, and where the ambulance takes the patient in the first place will be important.
    Most of Lombardy and a few other provinces are above the Italian ICU pain threshold, which I'm guessing to be around 60 per 100k as they have more ICU per head.
    I'm not sure how the load is being spread, but there does seem to be inter-province working - patient 1 was treated out of province.
    Thanks but when you say UK do you mean UK or PHE?
    I didn't recheck but I understood that to be a UK figure. It being England would move the pain point (for the UK) up a bit, but there will be local variations anyway. Generally I expect the ICU pain point will be somewhere in the 20-50 cases per 100k range.

Nigelb said:

and this means?
    Well it's another (small) piece of evidence in favour of the shut it down as long as you can option.
    Clearly on that side of the argument the development of one or more vaccines is the best hope, but this is a suggestion that the virus can change into something less deadly over time. Only a suggestion, though.
    HYUFD said:

Good set of Arizona polls for Biden today but nationally he is not polling much better than Kerry was v Bush in early 2004 or Romney was v Obama in early 2012

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1238476090135515139?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1238476426564767745?s=20

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1238474970310868992?s=20

Meaningless at this stage now.

Everything will be about the state of America in November. Who knows which way people will go over the virus and its impacts. So far Biden is having a far better emergency than Trump.
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

I suspect Trump may have more to worry about than his poll ratings.

Here's a wild thought, Trump is purposely making the pandemic worse so he can postpone the General election in Nov.

I wouldn't put it past him tbh.
    nunu2 said:

Here's a wild thought, Trump is purposely making the pandemic worse so he can postpone the General election in Nov.

Nah, you can see it, he is shit scared and he knows he is basically powerless in that he can't just pull his usual B/S. America at this time needs a war time leader, what they have is a lying coward.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    Gold cup not in BBC top 10 most read. It'd be the headline most years right now.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Carnival is a US company that owns Cunard, P&O Cruises and Princess Cruises (as in Grand and Diamond) amongst others.
    It is a great shame that they have been particularly badly hit, but why would they qualify for state aid - and which state would that be?
    Despite being a US company, there's very few Americans employed by them. Almost all of the onboard staff are from the third world. No government is going to bail them out.
    Carnival owes $10bn (those ships don't come cheap), so it's entirely possible there will be a lot of pressure on governments to step in
    Auction off the assets for $5bn, and the other $5bn is the risk the bank took in advancing the money in the first place. You're not suggesting that failing business models should be propped up by governments, surely? ;)
    If carnival is smart, though, they will have done a lot of borrowing from a mid sized bank in a marginal Congressional district.

But, you're right. Let it go bust and sell the assets. Maybe it's time to see if we can pick up a cheap cruise liner
    Imagine the cost of the deep clean, though.
    Dr Tedros added: "You can fight a virus, you can't fight a virus if you don’t know where it is. Find, isolate, treat and test every case.

"Every case we find and treat reduces the expansion of the disease. Do not just let this virus burn. Isolate the sick and quarantine their contacts."

It makes the UK decision to pivot from 10,000 tests a day to only hospital admissions even stranger.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,407
    nunu2 said:

It's pretty much impossible in practice to postpone the election. They've held elections in the middle of wars before, including a civil war.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

We've not yet admitted that's our plan but I've spent this week making sure we can implement it without any fuss.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020

What I find weird about Trump hob knobbing with all these people. Normally when an emergency hits e.g. a chemical weapon went off, they would have a president in the bunker in 2s. Is he just ignoring all the advice, or have they told him he can't be seen to change his normal routine?

I am presuming old Winnie the Pooh over in China didn't spent his weeks having dinner with a loads on untested people.

VIPs and VVIPs failing to change their behaviour seems to be common across the world, judging by the number of senior politicians who've gone down with this thing (China being the apparent exception, though could that just be because their epicentre was out in the provinces rather than the capital?).

It still strikes me as odd. Sensible risk-management recognises different groups of people should be put under different levels of protection and your senior decision-makers and their top advisers ought to be a priority to keep safe during a crisis... particularly since they're also a high-risk group, bearing in mind how many people politicians meet in a typical week.

I wonder if we tend to forget how it isn't just their formal, legal powers that political leaders possess, but a lot of their influence comes through the soft power associated with their networks. Meeting other senior people (from other countries, from business, from culture/arts/media or academia, whatever) is an important part of what they do, maybe even in a crisis. Though I don't get why you wouldn't be switching a lot of that to teleconference/phone, cutting out a lot of the low-priority, non-urgent stuff entirely (local community groups/campaigns visiting parliament, "young leaders", that kind of thing - not that they're not worthy, just now's not the time) and you definitely don't want school trips or tourist groups trotting round your centres of power (which in Westminster seemed to be the case even a few days ago).
This discussion has been closed.