Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What will be the name of the Boris Johnson’s baby?

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Italy new deaths by age group

0-49: 1
    50-59: 1
    60-69: 14
    70-79: 39
    80-89: 60
    >90: 18

Do they also give infected by age group?
  • Options
    Chris said:

geoffw said:

I wonder if Italy has acquired a particularly virulent and lethal strain of this disease.

That propagated for 5-6 weeks totally undetected? Seems unlikely.
    A mutation, perhaps?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Italy

Currently infected 6387 (+1326)
    including 650 in intenstive care and 3557 in hospitals.

Deaths 366 (+133)
    Healed 622 (+33)

That's shocking. So many more in medical care is probably very, very, very close to the absolute max capacity in the areas affected.
    It would make sense that the number in IC could be set by the maximum capacity, which would provide the greatest benefit for the greatest number.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,894
    geoffw said:

Chris said:

geoffw said:

I wonder if Italy has acquired a particularly virulent and lethal strain of this disease.

That propagated for 5-6 weeks totally undetected? Seems unlikely.
    A mutation, perhaps?
    The nextstrain.org data indicates that there is no significant mutation unearthed so far for Italy vs the rest of the European countries. They're just further down the road than us.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Does anyone know the names of his other 5 'official' kids?

2 sons and 2 daughters with ex-wife Marina Wheeler and a daughter with Helen MacIntyre. I know there are rumours of a sixth child with another woman but we're never going to know unless she goes public.

If we can find out the names of the others, it could give us a handle on the kind of names Boris prefers.

Of course there's always the possibility that he lets their mothers have the final say.

See the final paragraph of the thread header.
    Doh! I didn't read that bit.
    Well with names like that and the possibility that Carrie might have different ideas I wouldn't touch that market, the prices are all too short and there's too much opportunity for insider betting by the staff at Downing Street and others who might be in the know.
    Boudicca. Currently in favour with the posh, and spot-on combo of classical history and English nationalism.
    Boudicca ... English nationalism.

Boudicca was not English because there were no English people on these islands in AD60.

Buddig was Welsh.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,137
    edited March 2020

Italy new deaths by age group

0-49: 1
    50-59: 1
    60-69: 14
    70-79: 39
    80-89: 60
    >90: 18

The numbers of deaths of those under 60 look proportionately much smaller than I'd have expected from the data I've seen from China. Albeit those were fatality rates for each age group, not total deaths in each age group.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

2 sons and 2 daughters with ex-wife Marina Wheeler and a daughter with Helen MacIntyre. I know there are rumours of a sixth child with another woman but we're never going to know unless she goes public.

If we can find out the names of the others, it could give us a handle on the kind of names Boris prefers.

Of course there's always the possibility that he lets their mothers have the final say.

Well with names like that and the possibility that Carrie might have different ideas I wouldn't touch that market, the prices are all too short and there's too much opportunity for insider betting by the staff at Downing Street and others who might be in the know.
    Boudicca. Currently in favour with the posh, and spot-on combo of classical history and English nationalism.

Boudicca was not English because there were no English people on these islands in AD60.

Buddig was Welsh.
    ‘English’ is not really an ethnicity, it is a nationality.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Presumably that field is not Medicine, or Statistics.

The actual UK average is in the hundreds, according to researchers from Oxford, with the very occasional year being up around 10,000 (eg 2008-9).

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

What is his evidence?

His field must be one which involves not knowledge of elementary arithmetic or logical thinking.

PPE, surely?
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2020
    Absolutely terrible news coming out of Italy. The one upside is that it will surely wake the masses in this country up.

A severe crisis is coming our way soon so it is essential everyone prepares for the practicalities. But also we need to prepare mentally and emotionally for what is come.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited March 2020

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    I didn't say she was English, I said she was a figurehead for English nationalism.

ETA and "Welsh" is an English word, so she can't have been that either!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Cwsc, were there Welsh? Celts, yes.

We can certainly agree she wasn't English.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,515
    The EU is rather invisible in this isn't it? It would be hypocrisy of me to say I thought that they *should* be interfering in member state's handling of Corona, but I'm somewhat surprised they have not tried to be seen to be offering more support.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,515

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    Exactly. Although it takes its name from the angles. It would be more correct to say the descendents of the ancient Britons live in Wales.
  • Options

The EU is rather invisible in this isn't it? It would be hypocrisy of me to say I thought that they *should* be interfering in member state's handling of Corona, but I'm somewhat surprised they have not tried to be seen to be offering more support.

Brussels could be having a good war under the radar against coronavirus, no?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    She is not English (whether defined ethnically or by nationality). There was no notion of England until the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons.

Buddig did not speak English (but a Brythonic Celtic language).

Yours is a truly outrageous piece of cultural appropriation. The intellectual equivalent of a skinhead's fist.

In your picture, King Arthur is English ... even though he spent his life fighting the English.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    Exactly. Although it takes its name from the angles. It would be more correct to say the descendents of the ancient Britons live in Wales.
    Boudicca is culturally Welsh.
  • Options
    Mr. Cwsc, fighting the Angles and Saxons.

The concept of Englishness was not created until some time later.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    I didn't say she was English, I said she was a figurehead for English nationalism.

ETA and "Welsh" is an English word, so she can't have been that either!
    I wasn't criticising you ...

I agree that you were reporting what what some exceptionally thick members of the English nationalist parties believed.

You are correct that "Welsh" is the English word for what Boudicca was. She would not have known that word either.

But, she would have spoken an early Brythonic language akin to Welsh.
  • Options

I hope you enjoyed the history lesson and pun in my thread header.
  • Options
    Glad to see this catfight about ownership of Boudicca on International Womens' Day.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    She is not English (whether defined ethnically or by nationality). There was no notion of England until the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons.

Yours is a truly outrageous piece of cultural appropriation. The intellectual equivalent of a skinhead's fist.

In your picture, King Arthur is English ... even though he spent his life fighting the English.
    “The English“ culturally appropriated Boudicca hundreds of years ago. You need to get over it really.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the name became a word for 'emperor', not 'king'. Hence Kaiser and Czar (the German for king is Konig[umlaut over the o]).
  • Options

Agreed ... King Arthur was fighting the Anglo-Saxons.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, the name became a word for 'emperor', not 'king'. Hence Kaiser and Czar (the German for king is Konig[umlaut over the o]).

How about experimenting with the Alt button on your keyboard.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Well, that went well....
    (Guardian)
    Italy has been plunged into chaos after details of a plan to quarantine more than 16 million people in the north amid an escalating coronavirus outbreak were leaked to the press, sending thousands into panic as they tried to flee south.

The whole of Lombardy, including its financial capital of Milan, and 14 provinces across the worst-affected northern regions, have been shut down until 3 April as Italy grapples to contain the spread of a virus as deaths rose from 233 to 366, with 6,387 current cases overall.

Thousands crowded train stations in Lombardy or jumped into their cars after details of a draft decree banning people from leaving or entering the region were revealed by Corriere della Sera late on Saturday afternoon...
  • Options

Fake news.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,205

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    She was Iceni. There were indeed no English people in Britain in AD60 but she wasn't Welsh either, What is now Wales was split amongst a number of tribes such as the Demetae and the Silures. As for who are her heirs, that depends on whether you are talking culturally (no) or genetically (thats a whole can of worms). Contrast -

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/science/05cnd-brits.htmlhthttps://nytimes.com/2007/03/05/science/05cnd-brits.htmltp://

with

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/dna-survey-reveals-25-welsh-8308111
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well, that went well....
    (Guardian)
    Italy has been plunged into chaos after details of a plan to quarantine more than 16 million people in the north amid an escalating coronavirus outbreak were leaked to the press, sending thousands into panic as they tried to flee south.

The whole of Lombardy, including its financial capital of Milan, and 14 provinces across the worst-affected northern regions, have been shut down until 3 April as Italy grapples to contain the spread of a virus as deaths rose from 233 to 366, with 6,387 current cases overall.

Thousands crowded train stations in Lombardy or jumped into their cars after details of a draft decree banning people from leaving or entering the region were revealed by Corriere della Sera late on Saturday afternoon...

I love a good shambles.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

“The English“ culturally appropriated Boudicca hundreds of years ago. You need to get over it really.
    They did not. Only the thick and ignorant did.

You seem to be in the same boat as Nick Griffin and some stupid members of English nationalist parties. I hope you are happy there.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    It would be great to know infection rates by age group for countries.

How many of the Italians with Coronavirus are old (i.e. 65+)? Because the big question is the extent to which their high hospitalisation rate is due to the elderly catching the disease, or whether it is because the disease has become more virulent.
  • Options
    Mr. W, that gives me ó.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714

Nigelb said:

Well, that went well....
    (Guardian)

I love a good shambles.

last night at Milano Porta Garibaldi station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6o4AhLRuk
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

You seem to be in the same boat as Nick Griffin and some stupid members of English nationalist parties. I hope you are happy there.
    I have zero English blood. I was merely born in “England”. But I am happy to look up to and celebrate the cultural heroes I was told about growing up. Boudicca being one of them. Whether you consider her “Welsh” or “English” is not really my concern.
  • Options

Mr. W, that gives me ó.

Try Alt-u followed by o.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    I wish more British left wing groups adopted this obviously correct position:

https://www.twitter.com/ExmuslimsOrg/status/1236713597381873666
  • Options

I have zero English blood. I was merely born in “England”. But I am happy to look up to and celebrate the cultural heroes I was told about growing up. Boudicca being one of them. Whether you consider her “Welsh” or “English” is not really my concern.

Ah a fellow rootless cosmopolitan like me,
  • Options
    Mr. W, hmm. Doesn't work for me.

Unfortunately I do need to go, but that's a bit peculiar. I just get ú then ó. Hmm.

Anyway, play nicely my fellow Anglo-Saxon heroes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    eadric said:

Um, does anyone know of a nice little cottage type place, with 2-3 beds, to rent?

Ideally in the countryside or a village, but not far from a city. Asking for a friend. OK, me. Serious question.

Like Codogno?
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Nigelb said:

Well, that went well....
    (Guardian)

This mistake will critically inform our own plans. We either do it properly (without leaks) or we don't do it at all and try and mitigate in other ways. I think this failed mass lockdown will probably remove it as being seen as a practical option for us to undertake.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Rule 1: never believe anyone on the internet.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

tlg86 said:

On the monarchy, worth remembering that Charles is 71. All those wanting the monarchy to skip a generation may get their wish.

We could have a regency this year with the Duke of York and Prince Harry running the show.
    As Harry has been fired, surely Andrew gets a solo gig. If the youngsters were also to succumb do we get King Andrew?
    I think there still haven't been any deaths in under-tens so there's no chance that all four of the Royal great-grandchildren will fall victim to the virus, but avoiding making Andrew Regent would be a bit awkward and not doing so even more so.
    Use the Regency Council

++Cantab
    Lord Chancellor
    Prince of Wales (presumably in this case he could be replaced by the Earl of Wessex or the Duke of Sussex)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

isam said:
    Why should I believe you?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

isam said:
    Now I don’t know whether to believe him or you
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

You are getting overexcited, because this started precisely as a joke claim about English nationalists.

They are also quite keen on St George by the way, and nobody thinks he was English. I won't compound the problem by stating that he was Turkish...
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

isam said:
    You shouldn’t.

On a completely separate note, I’m also another SeanT pseudonym.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,137
    rcs1000 said:

It would be great to know infection rates by age group for countries.

How many of the Italians with Coronavirus are old (i.e. 65+)? Because the big question is the extent to which their high hospitalisation rate is due to the elderly catching the disease, or whether it is because the disease has become more virulent.

For China, there are infection rates per age group here:
    http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id/e53946e2-c6c4-41e9-9a9b-fea8db1a8f51

One pertinent factor is that only 11% of the population of China are 65+, but for Italy the percentage is nearly twice as high.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Um, does anyone know of a nice little cottage type place, with 2-3 beds, to rent?

Ideally in the countryside or a village, but not far from a city. Asking for a friend. OK, me. Serious question.

Somewhere on the East side of Dartmoor, not too far from Exeter. Get on to one of the holiday cottage sites and point out to the owners that a long summer let is money in the bank for them whereas hoping for a staycation boom might be optimistic.
  • Options

Rootless cosmopolitan working class muslim-boy Yorkshireman?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

You are getting overexcited, because this started precisely as a joke claim about English nationalists.

They are also quite keen on St George by the way, and nobody thinks he was English. I won't compound the problem by stating that he was Turkish...
    In the lifetime of St. George the Turks were still in Central Asia, I think he was (roughly) Greek.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,404
    Blink the spaniel takes the lead in the Agility final
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

Blink the spaniel takes the lead in the Agility final

Keep us up-to-date please.
  • Options

I'm a one man melting pot of identities.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,965
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    Ederson is shit, never let anyone say he's better than Alisson Becker.
  • Options
    Blink wins the Agility small category final
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

The problem is we have next to no reliable historical record of what was taking place between say, 440 AD and 600 AD. It's hard to know if Arthur actually existed.

Wessex was supposedly an Anglo-Saxon kingdom, yet its founder, Cerdic, and his two successors had British names.

Boudicca was not English, but it's probable that most inhabitants of Norfolk and Suffolk today have Icenian ancestors. And, they would undoubtedly see themselves as English.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

isam said:
    You shouldn’t.

Who isn't?

Look at OGH, Mike Smithson. Move the letters around, remove some of them and add a few more, and it spells 'I is Sean T'. Coincidence?
  • Options

Aren't we all, factually?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

In the lifetime of St. George the Turks were still in Central Asia, I think he was (roughly) Greek.
    That's why I said I wouldn't say it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

@HYUFD FPT

I don’t want to reopen the discussion on the last thread.

But if you are willing to pay Kensington prices, I have plenty of houses in World’s End I can source for you. I’ll only take a small percentage.

How small is 'a small percentage?' Three per cent of two million would allow me to live very comfortably for many years.
    Now you are beginning to understand the beauty of the business model...

Usually between 2 and 5%...

(my typical minimum fee is £500,000 though...)
  • Options
    geoffw said:

How about experimenting with the Alt button on your keyboard.
    That way madness lies.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Hungarians cheerfully appropriate Attila as one of their own even though the Magyars didn’t turn up in the area until about 400 years after he died. The Norman French nicked Arthur from the Celts and then passed him onto the English.

Worrying about exactly who might have been descended from Boudicca at a distance of just under 2000 years seems futile. She was a major historical figure of these isles.
  • Options

The official way to write an umlauted letter when the two dot option is not available is to put an e after it. so
    König=Koenig.

• Options

True.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

The East Asians understand at an individual level how to beat epidemics. Top down interventions organise them but without a fundamental willingness to comply, it won't work. I suggest it is cultural behaviour which will come to be shown as the key determinant.

By contrast, the British are the least concerned about this virus and have seemingly changed behaviour the least. I observe a wanton ignorance in our society that is going to be a severe impediment to tackling the epidemic.

This is why the British public need to be terrified into obedience. Far too many of my educated friends are still entirely nonchalant (Oh it's like Y2K, or the Bird Flu scare etc), even when the evidence is there in front of them.

The paradox is we need some panic. If we can horrify everyone, then we have a much better chance of the most horrific outcome not happening.
    I agree. Panic buying bog rolls is progress as it suggests some psychological breakthrough from denial or wanton ignorance to action. In any case, that particular commodity scarcity can be ameliorated quite easily by supermarkets setting appropriate policy.

But look in any newspaper comments page or Facebook post and there are many many deniers. These are people that scoff and sneer at guidance about washing hands and so get on trains coughing and spluttering. In short, they are cretins.

For matters of public health we can only be as good as our weakest links.
    My wife's mother is an intelligent woman in her early 50s. Well educated, degree, senior teacher just retired.

She is barely aware that coronavirus EXISTS, let alone that it is a national emergency. She doesn't read or watch much news, she is obsessed with climate change and XR, she's buying a new house in Brighton (little does she know this will likely all fall through)

If someone like her isn't even aware of this thing then we are in trouble.

We need big scary ads on the TV, like we had in the first days of AIDS. We need tombstones and sombre music.

F*ck it. Scare them.
    My wife had an exploratory conversation with some people who work "at" the US Embassy lastr week. They don't have a f****** clue.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kle4 said:

eristdoof said:

isam said:
    You shouldn’t.

Who isn't?

Look at OGH, Mike Smithson. Move the letters around, remove some of them and add a few more, and it spells 'I is Sean T'. Coincidence?
    My name is an anagram of “mistake as real”. Conspiracists can go to work on that.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Frankly I'd never even considered the issue of Boudicca as English or Welsh, I'd just lump all the groups of the time together as Ancient Britons of some type or another and leave it to historians to argue the details. Getting overly possessive of historical figures is shaky enough in more recent times let alone those from 2000 years ago, and getting huffy about appropriating them only marginally less shaky.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

alex_ said:

eadric said:

The East Asians understand at an individual level how to beat epidemics. Top down interventions organise them but without a fundamental willingness to comply, it won't work. I suggest it is cultural behaviour which will come to be shown as the key determinant.

By contrast, the British are the least concerned about this virus and have seemingly changed behaviour the least. I observe a wanton ignorance in our society that is going to be a severe impediment to tackling the epidemic.

This is why the British public need to be terrified into obedience. Far too many of my educated friends are still entirely nonchalant (Oh it's like Y2K, or the Bird Flu scare etc), even when the evidence is there in front of them.

The paradox is we need some panic. If we can horrify everyone, then we have a much better chance of the most horrific outcome not happening.
    I agree. Panic buying bog rolls is progress as it suggests some psychological breakthrough from denial or wanton ignorance to action. In any case, that particular commodity scarcity can be ameliorated quite easily by supermarkets setting appropriate policy.

But look in any newspaper comments page or Facebook post and there are many many deniers. These are people that scoff and sneer at guidance about washing hands and so get on trains coughing and spluttering. In short, they are cretins.

I have to say I was rather taken aback when I got a WhatsApp from a long term friend this morning, who is a well respected academic in their field, telling me flu kills 10,000 oldies a year in the UK, so this is no biggie and thought the government was over reacting.
    A lot rests on how the virus will react to warmer temperatures. Because if it reacts badly (ie. in our favour) then the number of deaths really might be pretty relatively low.
    Even assuming the best and it isn't too much worse than a really bad flu season, it was the claim the government is over reacting that took me aback. Italy sticking 16 million people in lock down and at the moment the UK government is telling people to wash their hands and get tested seems in anything not over reacting enough (I expect that to change tomorrow).
    Normalcy Bias.

People don't want to believe really bad news, indeed some simply cannot compute it.
    This was from somebody who deals with stats for a living as an academic.
    One of the curious aspects of this Bias is that, apparently, it can affect almost anyone. It has been observed in 70% of people in experiments.

eg There were very smart bankers in the Twin Towers who delayed evacuation, despite the clear evidence they would die if they didn't flee. These were bankers who dealt with risk and maths every day.
    Because they were told not to / to return to their desks
  • Options
    It has just dawned on me it is possible Liverpool win the title next Saturday afternoon, right about the time I'm supposed to be attending a wedding.

The bride and groom won't mind if I shout Yes!!!!!! during their ceremony?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

The official way to write an umlauted letter when the two dot option is not available is to put an e after it. so
    König=Koenig.

Cörrect.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Frankly I'd never even considered the issue of Boudicca as English or Welsh, I'd just lump all the groups of the time together as Ancient Britons of some type or another and leave it to historians to argue the details. Getting overly possessive of historical figures is shaky enough in more recent times let alone those from 2000 years ago, and getting huffy about appropriating them only marginally less shaky.

You want to get into a heated discussion.

Go on a Shakespeare discussion board and declare yourself a believer in the Oxfordian theory of Shakespeare authorship.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    eadric said:

Coastal Cottages, Toadhall Cottages and Rural Retreats are the best agencies I know of in Devon.
  • Options

It has just dawned on me it is possible Liverpool win the title next Saturday afternoon, right about the time I'm supposed to be attending a wedding.

You will end up married to one of them; or a the very least scrabbling around at short notice for a just impediment.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Charles said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

My wife's mother is an intelligent woman in her early 50s. Well educated, degree, senior teacher just retired.

She is barely aware that coronavirus EXISTS, let alone that it is a national emergency. She doesn't read or watch much news, she is obsessed with climate change and XR, she's buying a new house in Brighton (little does she know this will likely all fall through)

If someone like her isn't even aware of this thing then we are in trouble.

We need big scary ads on the TV, like we had in the first days of AIDS. We need tombstones and sombre music.

F*ck it. Scare them.
    My wife had an exploratory conversation with some people who work "at" the US Embassy lastr week. They don't have a f****** clue.
    I am in the US at the moment. People's level of seriousness about it is sharply divided by partisan affiliation. Democrats are taking it seriously (but not as much as in Europe). Republicans think it is all a media conspiracy to hurt Trump.
  • Options

Some, surely, are women ?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited March 2020
    Is any country (with a significant Covid 19 outbreak) randomly testing? If so , it would give a good idea of the levels of people not being diagnosed and hence the mortality rate of covid 19. I suspect if it were done it would mean the mortality rate is more akin to South Korea or even lower
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2020

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

Assigning today's identities to people who lived even 200, let alone 2000, years ago is really problematic. Mozart came from what is now Austria but, at the time, Austrians regarded themselves as German as any other German speaking people and would do so until (and perhaps after) Austria lost the battle for domination of "Germany" to Prussia. Cleopatra was culturally, and by decent, Greek, but we consider her Egyptian. St George was a Roman soldier of Cappadocian Greek origins. The Byzantines spoke Greek but considered themselves Roman right until the fall of Constantinople. The "English" conquest of Ireland was started by a bunch of French speaking Normans who lived in Wales. George Washington was happy to regard himself as a British American during the Seven Years/French & Indian War, but like many of his countrymen had a change of heart in the following 10-15 years...
  • Options
    eadric said:

I'm probably the only person on this site who ISN'T SeanT

There are three of you at least.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

There was no concept of England until King Alfred around 400 years after the Angles and Saxons arrived.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Go on a Shakespeare discussion board and declare yourself a believer in the Oxfordian theory of Shakespeare authorship.
    Probably safer to stick to arguing about AV!
  • Options

Certainly not, it would just be a sign of your happiness at the union being forged.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Or just get laughed at.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

yes especially as we all share a common ancestor only about 10 generations back and isn't everyone related to Edward the third or something . Numberphile (the excellent Youtube maths channel) did a great video on it!
  • Options

I think you may reconsider building up your expectation level like that, what will you shout when 'pool choke up?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited March 2020
    isam said:
    Yes. There was an interview with a woman not so long ago on the radio who was the same.

She could remember everything (except being in the womb). She remembers at age one everyone encouraging her to walk so she thought ok what the hell I'll give it a go.

Might be what all babies think.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

I'm probably the only person on this site who ISN'T SeanT

Yet your name is taken from a Mercian, Herefordian King, you have a MIL in her 50s (which ages dates your wife) and you have penchant for the melodramatic. And concern for Thailand. Adverse inferences. Whoever you are, there must be a hell of a deadline that you’re evading. This is beyond Douglas Adams.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:
    Yes. There was an interview with a woman not so long ago on the radio who was the same.

She could remember everything (except being in the womb). She remembers at age one everyone encouraging her to walk so she's thought ok what the hell I'll give it a go.

Might be what all babies think.
    How can they prove it?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,396
    DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.
    She was Iceni. There were indeed no English people in Britain in AD60 but she wasn't Welsh either, What is now Wales was split amongst a number of tribes such as the Demetae and the Silures. As for who are her heirs, that depends on whether you are talking culturally (no) or genetically (thats a whole can of worms). Contrast -

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/science/05cnd-brits.htmlhthttps://nytimes.com/2007/03/05/science/05cnd-brits.htmltp://

with

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/dna-survey-reveals-25-welsh-8308111
    Penrith is a Welsh name
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

kle4 said:

eristdoof said:

isam said:
    You shouldn’t.

Who isn't?

My name is an anagram of “mistake as real”. Conspiracists can go to work on that.
    Are you a lot younger than your siblings?
    Do you parents do crosswords?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Given what is happening in Italy, we are definitely going to be going to Stage II come Monday aren't we now.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

Thankfully that's not really true. It will be an average effect over the whole population. An irresponsibly minority is a real hindrance, but a responsible majority will still have an effect.
    Once the panic buyers have stocked up, they'll be an oversupply for the rest of us. Panic buying only really becomes a problem if it results in supply shortages to the supermarkets. Supermarkets have some tricky decisions to make not to get caught with too much stock though.
    This reminds me of something a friend who worked for HMV said, at the time when almost all "units" sold were physical CDs. They had to be careful about forecasting how many CDs to manufacture and distribute, but they would rather underestimate than overestimate. He said that if a CD sells out in most shops they can very quickly press and distribute more. It is much more costly to have stock that is not moving, which takes up space and ultimately has to be disposed of.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Buddig was Welsh.

To be fair, she has heavily influenced the figure of "Britannia", alongside the Virgin Queen and Queen Anne.

Although Brigid, (the original source figure) was Irish...
  • Options
    Whoever leaked the lockdown in Italy is probably going to have 100s if not more deaths on their hands, as now 1000s of people have scattered all across Italy.
  • Options

Given what is happening in Italy, we are definitely going to be going to Stage II come Monday aren't we now.

You've been saying that all day. You may be right but I am not sure why they wouldn't announce it today if their minds were already made up.
  • Options
    Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders said his campaign is gauging when it may become necessary to cancel the large campaign rallies that public health experts say could be coronavirus breeding grounds.
This discussion has been closed.