Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Don’t fear the reaper. How Covid-19 will change us

Comments

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,124

alex_ said:

theProle said:

Working from home is great - and for most people the cost of some desk space is dwarfed by commuting costs (I stick £200 of petrol through my car most months, mainly to commute to work).

Utilities bills go through the roof though.

Why ? no need for lights, keep most of them off except in one room at a time. if its cold, put a jumper on , if it is really cold, put another one on. When I was a child in 62-63 the windows froze on the inside..
    In 1963 your parents paid for the electricity powering your laptop and external monitor, and to recharge your mobile phone. In 2020 employers fool employees into picking up the bill.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Getting the Pharmaceutical industry to investigate non-profitable areas is the whole point of research grants. That was why Corbyn's idea during the election of threatening to make such grants contingent on playing ball with drugs prices was so incoherent/nonsensical. Grants are given for the benefit of public health, not (as he seemed to think) as a subsidy to/for the benefit of the Pharmaceutical industry.

Evidence?
    You think they are intended as a subsidy? Or that they don't do what they are supposed to do? Given the Pharmaceutical industry is hugely profitable, what other purpose can research grants form, other than to incentivise research in potentially non-profitable and/or risky areas? Or that they are offered in the UK as a quid pro quo to maintaining reasonable prices in the NHS? (which would mean withholding them would presumably have the opposite effect to what Corbyn intended)
    You've outlined the desired way the system works. I'm asking for any evidence you have that the research grant mechanism actually works in the desired way.
    Why not do some of your own work ?
    We’re not a paid team of researchers for you to direct as you please. :smile:
    Indeed, but if someone makes a statement they can't support, it is going to lack credibility.
    If something is supposed to work in a particular way, then I think those saying that it doesn’t are the ones who need to provide evidence.

Edit: for example I don’t think Corbyn is being controlled by the French, but I couldn’t provide you with any evidence for that statement. Does that mean we should assume he is?
    Er, no. Corbyn was strongly criticised for wanting to tie research grants to more reasonable prices for pharmaceutical products. The reason for this criticism is that 'obviously' research grants are given in furtherance of the cause of beneficial but low profit research. I asked for any evidence that this was actually what happens in practise. None has been forthcoming. I make that one nil for Corbyn.
    Well, that's what research grants are for.

Donations to the RNLI are meant to fund lifeboats (but I reckon 95% of them are spent on hookers and cocaine by the management). Produce evidence that this is actually what happens in practise, in 5 minutes on a Sunday morning, or that's one nil for me.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342

alex_ said:

theProle said:

Working from home is great - and for most people the cost of some desk space is dwarfed by commuting costs (I stick £200 of petrol through my car most months, mainly to commute to work).

Why ? no need for lights, keep most of them off except in one room at a time. if its cold, put a jumper on , if it is really cold, put another one on. When I was a child in 62-63 the windows froze on the inside..
    A lot of my childhood was spent in accommodation like that. Dilapidated army quarters. Didn’t seem particularly unusual at the time.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    Nigelb said:

A thread on the possible seasonality of ‘19:

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1235963670255071237

Best guess is that summer might slow it, but won’t stop it.

Guesses and speculation by one after the other halfwitted doom merchants. Why don't they shut their traps and just see how things go rather than uttering absolute crap
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,469
    Foxy said:

A good header, but missing out the important aspect of the mental health impact on shellfish workers, who might pray for deliverance. I expect there will be a blue oyster cult.

When I work from home I can finish work at 5pm and be in the local library shortly thereafter for a knitting group. One interesting thing about that is that it's a more diverse social mix of people than the graduates I meet when I go in to work in the office.

Without time spent commuting there's much more time to spend in the local community. And none of them are responsible for stealing my tea mug.
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Getting the Pharmaceutical industry to investigate non-profitable areas is the whole point of research grants. That was why Corbyn's idea during the election of threatening to make such grants contingent on playing ball with drugs prices was so incoherent/nonsensical. Grants are given for the benefit of public health, not (as he seemed to think) as a subsidy to/for the benefit of the Pharmaceutical industry.

Evidence?
    You think they are intended as a subsidy? Or that they don't do what they are supposed to do? Given the Pharmaceutical industry is hugely profitable, what other purpose can research grants form, other than to incentivise research in potentially non-profitable and/or risky areas? Or that they are offered in the UK as a quid pro quo to maintaining reasonable prices in the NHS? (which would mean withholding them would presumably have the opposite effect to what Corbyn intended)
    You've outlined the desired way the system works. I'm asking for any evidence you have that the research grant mechanism actually works in the desired way.
    Indeed, but if someone makes a statement they can't support, it is going to lack credibility.
    If something is supposed to work in a particular way, then I think those saying that it doesn’t are the ones who need to provide evidence.

Edit: for example I don’t think Corbyn is being controlled by the French, but I couldn’t provide you with any evidence for that statement. Does that mean we should assume he is?
    Er, no. Corbyn was strongly criticised for wanting to tie research grants to more reasonable prices for pharmaceutical products. The reason for this criticism is that 'obviously' research grants are given in furtherance of the cause of beneficial but low profit research. I asked for any evidence that this was actually what happens in practise. None has been forthcoming. I make that one nil for Corbyn.

Donations to the RNLI are meant to fund lifeboats (but I reckon 95% of them are spent on hookers and cocaine by the management). Produce evidence that this is actually what happens in practise, in 5 minutes on a Sunday morning, or that's one nil for me.
    No you’re probably right.
    alex_ said:

Russia working in the global interests, as usual, and not looking for any opportunities to exploit the crisis...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/08/russian-jets-heading-to-uk-airspace-intercepted-by-raf-typhoons

Usual story. Question is who will intercept the (no doubt) flurry of Russian probes over a newly-independent Scotland. Will Scotland have its own air force or will the next question be who will pay for the English, Welsh and Northern Irish RAF to maintain air bases in Scotland?
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    alex_ said:

theProle said:

Why should they? If your house is decently insulated then it shouldn’t take much more energy to keep it at the temperature you have it in the evening, and if you haven’t already switched to LEDs for lighting then you should immediately.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,777
    DavidL said:

Why do people come up with their own estimates for things like the peak or the number of deaths when the government has some of our finest minds, with the data, working on the modelling for this? All we have to do is just listen to what they say.

Chris Witty told us the scenario last week based on what they know so far. From widespread local transmission there will be 3 months to the peak, then 3 months downwards again. We are not yet at widespread local transmission but very close. There is your timeline then.

My guesses are based on the government’s estimates. Which are a million miles from exponential Armageddon. Sorry if I gave the impression otherwise.
    Mine too, after an interesting dinner with someone in public health.

I note that the Chinese have reported just 44 cases yesterday, the fewest since January, and a big drop in South Korean numbers too.

https://twitter.com/BBCLBicker/status/1236563237467906048?s=09

This is bad but containable if we act fairly soon with similar mechanisms.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,394
    If we all work at home, who will keep the lights on, who will process the turds, and who will collect the bins?

alex_ said:

theProle said:

Utilility bills are peanuts, I work at home all the time, every light in the house is always on , heating as well, tumble dryer , washing machine etc , hottub heating in summer and still only averages £112 a month for a 4 bedroom detached house.
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

Why do people come up with their own estimates for things like the peak or the number of deaths when the government has some of our finest minds, with the data, working on the modelling for this? All we have to do is just listen to what they say.

Chris Witty told us the scenario last week based on what they know so far. From widespread local transmission there will be 3 months to the peak, then 3 months downwards again. We are not yet at widespread local transmission but very close. There is your timeline then.

My guesses are based on the government’s estimates. Which are a million miles from exponential Armageddon. Sorry if I gave the impression otherwise.
    But they are not because your estimate of a peak in about a month from now is quite different to what the government is suggesting of a peak 3 months from widespread transmission.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759
    One thing I am not clear on, and would be very interested in hearing more about, is the treatment of sufferers. So far, if you get it and are self-treating at home we've more or less been told ibuprofen and hot drinks. But yet we have also have people in intensive care with it. I think some demystification is needed.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,407

Mr. Sandpit, and Vietnamese quarantine.

Edited extra bit: the Chinese postponement/cancellation might come in handy, allowing Ferrari to actually get parts without falling foul of quarantine.

They’re going to have to be very careful about how people and machines get moved around for the next few weeks, that’s for sure. For the first few flyaway races, it’s always been quite normal for the teams to put people on commercial flights with last-minute car parts, they’ll probably have to charter planes instead - although I’m sure Ferrari and Redbull have plenty of bizjets available to them if required ;)

The other issue is that a lot of the people who travel to races are really needed at the factory afterwards, such as senior technical people and the drivers themselves. They’re obviously going to have to stay away for a month.

They’ve got three races to go to, and most of the team for Australia will be leaving today if they haven’t left already. This affects Ferrari, AlphaTauri, Pirelli, and no doubt a few individuals from other teams as well as the Italian journalists. Maybe a couple of hundred people involved in the race itself, plus a fair few fans going for holidays or corporate hospitality.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

alex_ said:

Russia working in the global interests, as usual, and not looking for any opportunities to exploit the crisis...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/08/russian-jets-heading-to-uk-airspace-intercepted-by-raf-typhoons

Usual story. Question is who will intercept the (no doubt) flurry of Russian probes over a newly-independent Scotland. Will Scotland have its own air force or will the next question be who will pay for the English, Welsh and Northern Irish RAF to maintain air bases in Scotland?
    They'll get an international air policing mission provided by the EU or NATO. Like Iceland, the Baltics, Montenegro, etc...

Foxy said:

A good header, but missing out the important aspect of the mental health impact on shellfish workers, who might pray for deliverance. I expect there will be a blue oyster cult.

When I work from home I can finish work at 5pm and be in the local library shortly thereafter for a knitting group. One interesting thing about that is that it's a more diverse social mix of people than the graduates I meet when I go in to work in the office.

Without time spent commuting there's much more time to spend in the local community. And none of them are responsible for stealing my tea mug.
    My reference to depressed shellfish workers was a reference to the thread title, rather than a serious point.

https://youtu.be/AUO_5EALZoM

I used this as a ringtone for a while, because of the gentle guitar intro, but after some comments at work...
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Guesses and speculation by one after the other halfwitted doom merchants. Why don't they shut their traps and just see how things go rather than uttering absolute crap
    Surely it's not being a doom merchant to say the Summer may slow it and we'll have a relatively small first wave. If the main wave can be deferred for a few months we'll certainly have a lot more knowledge going into it. We almost certainly won't have a vaccine for general use, but it's not impossible we may have some kind of treatment, given more time.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Evidence?

God give me fucking strength. Are you really so naive that you think a proposed change to any system to incentivise a more desirable outcome can be rebutted by just reiterating what 'should' happen? Presumably then you're entirely happy with the way the UK overseas aid budget has been spent over the last 20 years because it 'should' go straight into the mouths of the starving masses.
    alex_ said:

Also this one:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-07/putin-dumps-mbs-to-start-a-war-on-america-s-shale-oil-industry?srnd=premium-middle-east
    Russia refused to go along with OPEC oil supply cuts, they’re trying to get the price on the floor to smoke out the American shale industry and the Arabs - the massive negative effect on Russian oil incomes being apparently only a secondary consideration.

alex_ said:

theProle said:

In 1963 your parents paid for the electricity powering your laptop and external monitor, and to recharge your mobile phone. In 2020 employers fool employees into picking up the bill.
    My laptop’s charger is (quickly checks), 50 watts. The laptop runs all day on about an hour and a half’s charge, and keeps the phone topped up at the same time.

My coffee machine, on the other hand, that uses way more power than the laptop does!
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

theProle said:

Utilility bills are peanuts, I work at home all the time, every light in the house is always on , heating as well, tumble dryer , washing machine etc , hottub heating in summer and still only averages £112 a month for a 4 bedroom detached house.
    do you only use the washing machine once a year?.. and have the tumble drier to fit in that "hole" in the kitchen ...
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Also this one:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-07/putin-dumps-mbs-to-start-a-war-on-america-s-shale-oil-industry?srnd=premium-middle-east
    Russia refused to go along with OPEC oil supply cuts, they’re trying to get the price on the floor to smoke out the American shale industry and the Arabs - the massive negative effect on Russian oil incomes being apparently only a secondary consideration.
    OPEC is a bust these days. You can’t smoke out frackers as they can turn on and off at will - there are no big legacy spends like towing an oil rig out to sea.

One thing I am not clear on, and would be very interested in hearing more about, is the treatment of sufferers. So far, if you get it and are self-treating at home we've more or less been told ibuprofen and hot drinks. But yet we have also have people in intensive care with it. I think some demystification is needed.

The fever and cough need simple meds as above, but the serious phase seems to involve exudation within the lungs, and progressive breathlessness. This is the point that oxygen, iv fluids and other support are needed.

The key thing is a rising resting heart rate, respiratory rate and dropping oxygen levels in the bloodstream. At this point expert assessment is needed.

Add a pulse oximetry meter to your thermometer for home medical kit. I would add a peak flow meter too to monitor respiratory function, about £15 for a pulse oximetry on amazon and £10 for a peak flow meter. BP cuff too.
    Chris said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Surely it's not being a doom merchant to say the Summer may slow it and we'll have a relatively small first wave. If the main wave can be deferred for a few months we'll certainly have a lot more knowledge going into it. We almost certainly won't have a vaccine for general use, but it's not impossible we may have some kind of treatment, given more time.
    It was not that one particular opinion I was referring to , rather the myriad of people predicting Armageddon and the fact that they are mainly talking through their arses. At this point it is all guesswork.
    I could pontificate on the fact that the USA and South America seem almost impervious to the virus based on the data but it would be the same bollox as most of the guff being pontificated by lots of people
    Jonathan said:
    ditch the glasses..
  • Chancellor Sunak.

20% of treasury workers to be moved to a new campus in the North of England
    Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

They'll get an international air policing mission provided by the EU or NATO. Like Iceland, the Baltics, Montenegro, etc...
    Isn't that just changing the names though, with planes still based at RAF Lossiemouth? Thus leaving open the question of who pays (and what the new air force is called).
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,922
    > Most working adults spend relatively little time with their other halves.

That's interesting. I have one couple of long term friends - one a GP, the other an NHS consultant level ologist who took early retirement and started consulting from home, who separated pretty much immediately after the second partner retired.

I attribute this to a change of time spent together. Not the sort of question that can be asked out of the blue, however.

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

theProle said:

do you only use the washing machine once a year?.. and have the tumble drier to fit in that "hole" in the kitchen ...
    They are in the utility room and are on at least daily at this time of year, obviously dried outside in decent weather in summer etc. Leave heating on all the time as well, gas and electric are cheap for me. Dishwasher on every day at least once as well.
    edited March 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Also this one:
    OPEC is a bust these days. You can’t smoke out frackers as they can turn on and off at will - there are no big legacy spends like towing an oil rig out to sea.
    Exactly, the USA aren’t going to abandon shale any time soon, just as they’ve got themselves to be self-sufficient in fossil fuels, and the Arabs have small marginal extraction costs and large cash reserves.

I think the bigger issue is what happens to the Russian economy with the oil price on the floor, and not a lot of cash in the bank, to which the answer is that they’re screwed.

Brent Crude $45 and falling today, down 10% :open_mouth: and looking for probably $35 by the end of the week.
    Scott_xP said:

I am reminded of Choi Min-sik in Oldboy.

She's also fond of dishing out a knuckle shampoo like the guy in the film.
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    edited March 2020
    Biden will lose to Trump 100%

He's like Hilary but a much worse performer and just as many "scandals" he probably even gets fewer Bernie voters than her

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Evidence?

God give me fucking strength. Are you really so naive that you think a proposed change to any system to incentivise a more desirable outcome can be rebutted by just reiterating what 'should' happen? Presumably then you're entirely happy with the way the UK overseas aid budget has been spent over the last 20 years because it 'should' go straight into the mouths of the starving masses.
    From the commentator who is going to sort out China's meat markets with tariffs, which will also boost or domestic iphone manufacturing industry no end without destroying our entire consumerist economy, and who can find no information anywhere on the internet about why covid puts some people into intensive care.

Jezza vs Big Pharma is not a fight I can get interested in.
    Foxy said:

The fever and cough need simple meds as above, but the serious phase seems to involve exudation within the lungs, and progressive breathlessness. This is the point that oxygen, iv fluids and other support are needed.

The key thing is a rising resting heart rate, respiratory rate and dropping oxygen levels in the bloodstream. At this point expert assessment is needed.

Add a pulse oximetry meter to your thermometer for home medical kit. I would add a peak flow meter too to monitor respiratory function, about £15 for a pulse oximetry on amazon and £10 for a peak flow meter. BP cuff too.
    I followed your advice Foxy and have all the kit now, extra useful given my wife is still recovering. I bought a decent thermometer similar to those used in hospitals as the medical kit one was a bit flimsy.

Isn't that just changing the names though, with planes still based at RAF Lossiemouth? Thus leaving open the question of who pays (and what the new air force is called).

AP missions use the aircraft of various nations on rotation. Poland are doing Baltic AP now with F-16Cs. Norway are covering Iceland with F-35As.

Iceland get theirs for free because of their strategic location. Scotland would be in a similar position given the strategic importance of the GIUK gap.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

alex_ said:

theProle said:

They've already fooled delivery van drivers (except Parcelforce possibly) into paying for their own fuel, maintenance, sick pay, holiday pay, private pension, aka fake self-employment. Unlike the 1980s or before, none of these poor sods, who are doing all sorts of jobs, will get statutory sick pay.

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

It will be the RAF and England/NATO will pay, rent will be reasonable.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Evidence?

Given that Corbyn offered no evidence that the system that has formed a basis of Govt policy (under both parties) towards pharmaceutical research for many years isn't working as intended (other than the tautological socialist belief that any private sector company making profits whilst in receipt of Government funding must by definition be fleecing the taxpayer) I would argue that his goal should be disallowed under VAR, allowing me to at least escape with a no score draw.

Although I would slightly moderate my previous position, as of course grants aren't just supposed to support purely "low or no profit activity", but also high risk activity that may or may not lead to financial benefits (but where it does, might also be highly profitable). So can be mutually beneficial for both public health policy and the private sector companies involved.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    nunu2 said:

Lots of value bets available if you're right, how much have you got on?

Jonathan said:
    ditch the glasses..
    She looks like your typical Lib Dem

alex_ said:

theProle said:

They've already fooled delivery van drivers (except Parcelforce possibly) into paying for their own fuel, maintenance, sick pay, holiday pay, private pension, aka fake self-employment. Unlike the 1980s or before, none of these poor sods, who are doing all sorts of jobs, will get statutory sick pay.
    the govt says noone will lose out so you have to believe them...... its a sort of lie as the taxpayer will pick up the bill. we will all lose out.
    Dura_Ace said:

AP missions use the aircraft of various nations on rotation. Poland are doing Baltic AP now with F-16Cs. Norway are covering Iceland with F-35As.

Iceland get theirs for free because of their strategic location. Scotland would be in a similar position given the strategic importance of the GIUK gap.
    So we will not need to use Dad's Army at all then, even better.
    malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

LOL, you want Westminster’s war machines flying over Scotland?
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

As long as they are paying per mile and renting infrastructure
    nunu2 said:

He's like Hilary but a much worse performer and just as many "scandals" he probably even gets fewer Bernie voters than her

Betfair suggests closer to 60% if you want some free money?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    Jonathan said:
    But not as good as Jo Swinson.....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464

Chancellor Sunak.

I was told by a civil servant of my acquaintance that moving "important" jobs out of London was "fascism".

I need to compile a list of things that are fascism, that you wouldn't suspect.
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

I’m sure they’ll happily scoot between Berwick and Carlisle, but if you want them chasing away Bears any further north then expect a hefty pest control bill.
    On topic: the arguments in favour of homeworking have been around long enough that I don't see this scare as being the game changer argued for. All already priced in.

It doesn't work for me anyway. When I was doing my phd I found it paid to drive 30 miles to work in the university library, despite having no need whatever for its resources, because I work in a work environment better than a home one.
  • Chancellor Sunak.

I was told by a civil servant of my acquaintance that moving "important" jobs out of London was "fascism".

Utter nonsense
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276
    Chris said:

In a perfect world, one gazed upon with fondness by a benign and omnipotent being, a vaccine would be discovered tomorrow and it would turn out to be chocolate.

Chancellor Sunak.

Utter nonsense
    Sir Humphrey Appleby said as much...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,660

Chancellor Sunak.

We should move the whole government out of London. That would cut the cost of government far more than losing a few MPs.
  • ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

We should move the whole government out of London. That would cut the cost of government far more than losing a few MPs.
    I agree

Chancellor Sunak.

Utter nonsense
    https://youtu.be/Y9oKo-QvBpo
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    IshmaelZ said:

On topic: the arguments in favour of homeworking have been around long enough that I don't see this scare as being the game changer argued for. All already priced in.

It doesn't work for me anyway. When I was doing my phd I found it paid to drive 30 miles to work in the university library, despite having no need whatever for its resources, because I work in a work environment better than a home one.

Yes. It is amazing how many things got fixed or cleaned on my occasional attempts to work from home. So easy to be distracted.

ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

I agree
    Somewhere around Derby or Sheffield. Nice and central with good transport links. Or perhaps split the difference and go to Doncaster.
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes. It is amazing how many things got fixed or cleaned on my occasional attempts to work from home. So easy to be distracted.
    I'm exactly the same. Being surrounded by other people working improves the work ethic, even in a lazy sod like me.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,539
    On working from home: it can be swings and roundabouts quite a bit. Zero transport cost in money or time, but I do have a PS4 in the next room and all my books to hand.

I've found it works pretty well for me, though. Take regular tiny breaks (hence posting on PB) and slightly longer ones for dinner and a midday break.
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

I’m sure they’ll happily scoot between Berwick and Carlisle, but if you want them chasing away Bears any further north then expect a hefty pest control bill.
    NATO will do it for free we will not need to pay any more bills for Westminster TAT.
  • malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

NATO will do it for free we will not need to pay any more bills for Westminster TAT.
    Scotland would have to join NATO and pay membership fees if you want NATO to protect you

The idea this is free to Scotland is rather naive
    IshmaelZ said:

I find the opposite , get twice as much done from home and no tedious hours drive to and from office.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

London already has proportionately by far the smallest public sector employment of any area of the country.
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Also this one:
    Exactly, the USA aren’t going to abandon shale any time soon, just as they’ve got themselves to be self-sufficient in fossil fuels, and the Arabs have small marginal extraction costs and large cash reserves.

I think the bigger issue is what happens to the Russian economy with the oil price on the floor, and not a lot of cash in the bank, to which the answer is that they’re screwed.

Brent Crude $45 and falling today, down 10% :open_mouth: and looking for probably $35 by the end of the week.
    Its not some cunning strategic plan that's driving Russia, its a desperate need for cash.
    ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

Utter nonsense
    The bit that I enjoy is when the caller of New Fascisms then proposes a policy that is a literal copy and pasta from real Fascist policies.

A Corbynista of my acquaintance proposed financial benefits to support mothers that was a carbon copy of those enacted by Vichy France, for example.
  • ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

London already has proportionately by far the smallest public sector employment of any area of the country.
    It should be moved in total away from London
    ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

To expand on Mr Meeks idea - MPs working from home?
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

I find the opposite , get twice as much done from home and no tedious hours drive to and from office.
    I am lazy, you aren't.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    If socialisation is becoming a problem as everyone works from home then everyone will just need to take up online gaming I guess. The influx of adults might finally tidy up the voice chats dominated by racist, sexist 14 year olds.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Fantastic news:

Spitting Image returns in the autumn (according to live R4).

I'm glad that they've managed to fund it. It was very expensive TV.
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Agreed. The environment really impacts the work that is done for many people a lot more than proponents of home working think.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

I agree
    Somewhere around Derby or Sheffield. Nice and central with good transport links. Or perhaps split the difference and go to Doncaster.
    Splitting the difference is Chesterfield.

That'll larn 'em.....
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

In a perfect world, one gazed upon with fondness by a benign and omnipotent being, a vaccine would be discovered tomorrow and it would turn out to be chocolate.
    Well, there is an old anti-malarial drug, which is cheap and safe, and which seems to be one of the two spoken of as most promising in trials in China. For malaria, it is used for both prophylaxis and treatment. That is the kind of thing that could a big difference if it does turn out to have significant benefits. It makes me think the "just take it on the chin and get it over with" school of thought is very wrong. I think it would be better to take extreme measures to delay it, at least until we have a better idea of what we are dealing with.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,469
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

I agree
    Birmingham - then they can use HS2 to go to the Opera.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,539
    Mr. kle4, think it can vary a bit.

I'm easily irritated/distracted by background noise. Having less of that at home is probably very helpful. Plus the flexibility of working as I like suits me too.
    kle4 said:

If socialisation is becoming a problem as everyone works from home then everyone will just need to take up online gaming I guess. The influx of adults might finally tidy up the voice chats dominated by racist, sexist 14 year olds.

Look at the number of home-workers who spend most of their days on pb.
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Agreed. The environment really impacts the work that is done for many people a lot more than proponents of home working think.
    The only time I manage to motivate myself to do any work from home is at weekends or in the middle of the night ie. the only time i'm not actually being paid for doing it!

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

I agree
    Splitting the difference is Chesterfield.

That'll larn 'em.....
    Why ruin a lovely town like Chesterfield by putting a load of Civil Servants and MPs in it?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    Parliament’s sleaze watchdog has launched an investigation into Boris Johnson and the mystery over who funded his recent luxury Caribbean holiday, the Observer has learned.

Prompting fresh questions over the prime minister’s probity, the parliamentary commissioner for standards decided last week to pursue an official inquiry into Johnson amid unanswered questions over the identity of the donor who lent him a property on the island of Mustique over new year. It is the first time a serving prime minister has been investigated by the commissioner, who is responsible for regulating MPs’ conduct and propriety.

The development means that three high-level inquiries are under way into allegations surrounding Johnson’s conduct, including his relationship with US businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri. A source with intimate knowledge of the most recent inquiry, but who requested anonymity, said: “These are serious issues which need to be properly investigated.”

kle4 said:

Look at the number of home-workers who spend most of their days on pb.
    But they are already massively successful in their field.

Apparently.
    edited March 2020
    Assumption being made that there are problems caused by central Government being based in London. Ultimately it's more likely that problems are caused by central Government being central Government, and necessarily based somewhere.

Problems in London are caused by the GLA being based in central London, in Scotland by the Scottish Government being based in Edinburgh, in Wales, Cardiff...

ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

We can make it even smaller though. I mean, we’re always being told how wealthy and important London is. So it should be perfectly capable of surviving on its own. Meanwhile, they get to pay much less in taxes because we can reduce the cost of government humongously. Win/win.
    IanB2 said:

Parliament’s sleaze watchdog has launched an investigation into Boris Johnson and the mystery over who funded his recent luxury Caribbean holiday, the Observer has learned.

Prompting fresh questions over the prime minister’s probity, the parliamentary commissioner for standards decided last week to pursue an official inquiry into Johnson amid unanswered questions over the identity of the donor who lent him a property on the island of Mustique over new year. It is the first time a serving prime minister has been investigated by the commissioner, who is responsible for regulating MPs’ conduct and propriety.

The development means that three high-level inquiries are under way into allegations surrounding Johnson’s conduct, including his relationship with US businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri. A source with intimate knowledge of the most recent inquiry, but who requested anonymity, said: “These are serious issues which need to be properly investigated.”

Can one of the pb tories who regularly gargle Johnson's balls explain why he can't pay for his own holiday like everyone else?
  • IanB2 said:

Boris being Boris
    edited March 2020

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

Scotland would have to join NATO and pay membership fees if you want NATO to protect you

A lot cheaper than what we currently pay to the robbers in Westminster and that is far from naive. You do realise we already pay as we are a member of NATO.
  • Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Can one of the pb tories who regularly gargle Johnson's balls explain why he can't pay for his own holiday like everyone else?
    Fair comment and I look forward to the details
    One winner in all this will be Starlink - https://www.starlink.com/

For those that don't know, this is Elon Musk's plan (being implemented right now) to provide internet access via LEO satellites.

The nature of the system is that it provides low latency bandwidth - the downside is a limit on the number of ground terminals that can be setup in a given area. This will not compete in cities.

However, what it is perfect for is providing the "Backhaul"* for cellphone tower and data cabinets. When combined with 5G the result is interesting.

A combined Starlink/5G cell tower would require only power, to provide high speed data access and cellphone calls in the locality.

The telecoms community is salivating at the possibilities of connecting up remote parts of the world... And possibly some not so far from us.

When the system is up and running, you will be able to provide high speed internet access to any location on the planet (outside say 10 degrees from the poles).

*Backhaul is the connection from local infrastructure to the rest of the world (kinda). The issue with rural broadband etc is about backhaul - connecting the remote areas.
    ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

Always seems to be driven by gesture politics to me. Maybe there are benefits, but it starts from a place of 'let's move things from London' and works backward from there to reasoning.
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

I am lazy, you aren't.
    my wife disagrees with you
    ydoethur said:

Chancellor Sunak.

Utter nonsense
    Definitely the greatest political documentary of the last half century!
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

Assumption being made that there are problems caused by central Government being based in London. Ultimately it's more likely that problems are caused by central Government being central Government, and necessarily based somewhere.

Possibly. But the cost is undoubtedly partly due to government being in central London.

Just to put this in perspective:

3 bed semi in Doncaster, rather nice semi detached villa style, £150,000.

Equivalent property in Kensington £1,975,000.

So we could massively reduce salaries and still fund a nicer lifestyle for these guys.

(Prices from Zoopla).
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

A lot cheaper than what we currently pay to the robbers in Westminster and that is far from naive.
    Anyway, tomorrow sees the start of Salmonds trial and an interesting period for the SNP
    alex_ said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

The only time I manage to motivate myself to do any work from home is at weekends or in the middle of the night ie. the only time i'm not actually being paid for doing it!
    As I plan to do a bunch of work today I absolutely agree with that
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Mass homeworking by officey types would certainly resolve the railway capacity problem. Miserable cattle truck commuting ends if half the people no longer need to travel, and it would save a lot of people a lot of money (train fares being the second biggest household expense after the mortgage for a great many families.) On the other hand, it will make the inordinate spending to be lavished on HS2 look very, very silly.

None of this affects yours truly as I work in manufacturing - and I'm glad of it. People spend a large fraction of their lives at work. If they're going to be made to do it all alone in their houses then an awful lot of them are going to end up feeling very isolated - like so many old-fashioned, stay-at-home mummies with nothing but pets, toddlers and the TV set for company all day, every day. Except at least they're not glued to a computer from 9 to 5 and can go out the house when they want.

On the Treasury story: I suspect those jobs will end up going to Leeds.

Of all the problems that are going to beset the People's Democratic Republic of Scotland air policing isn't going to be one of them.

They would get a NATO AP mission for the same reason Iceland does and probably on the same terms. The airspace of the GIUK gap is that important to the alliance. Iceland have no military in the conventional sense and contribute nothing to NATO beyond hosting the AP mission.

If England & Wales fancied vetoing it in council they would be told not to by the USA and they would dutifully obey.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

alex_ said:

A lot cheaper than what we currently pay to the robbers in Westminster and that is far from naive. You do realise we already pay as we are a member of NATO.
    Scotland has a GDP of £150Bn approx - that's 3Bn in Nato contributions.
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Child support? The rich and powerful like a freebie and Boris follows a fine tradition that takes in Blair and Churchill. The Caribbean holiday looks like a storm in a tea-cup. Most likely no cash changed hands (hence the denial from the alleged donor) because the place would otherwise be empty anyway. The late paperwork on his book royalties also looks trivial.

Arcuri-gate (cybersecurity, pole-dancing and public funds) looks more serious.

Mass homeworking by officey types would certainly resolve the railway capacity problem. Miserable cattle truck commuting ends if half the people no longer need to travel, and it would save a lot of people a lot of money (train fares being the second biggest household expense after the mortgage for a great many families.) On the other hand, it will make the inordinate spending to be lavished on HS2 look very, very silly.

None of this affects yours truly as I work in manufacturing - and I'm glad of it. People spend a large fraction of their lives at work. If they're going to be made to do it all alone in their houses then an awful lot of them are going to end up feeling very isolated - like so many old-fashioned, stay-at-home mummies with nothing but pets, toddlers and the TV set for company all day, every day. Except at least they're not glued to a computer from 9 to 5 and can go out the house when they want.

On the Treasury story: I suspect those jobs will end up going to Leeds.

But where the treasury Leeds, will others follow?

And with that, time to get the eight foot horn out.

Have a good morning.
This discussion has been closed.