Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Warren looks a promising bet in Massachusetts following the Bu

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

The "coronavirus action plan" document released today by the DHSC is a pathetic crock. It contains a mash of slogans, banalities, observations, grandstanding, paeans of bureaucratic self-praise, and abstract promises of readiness. Its title could be "Some old crap somebody told us to write for compliance reasons". Most of it isn't really planning at all. It's more like a low-content policy document.

E.g. on delaying the spread of infection: "Other action will be considered to help achieve a Delay in the spread of the disease. We will aim to minimise the social and economic impact, subject to keeping people safe. Such judgements will be informed based on the best available and most up to date scientific evidence, and take into account the trade-offs involved. (...) We would consider such measures in order to protect vulnerable individuals with underlying illnesses and thus at greater more at risk of becoming seriously affected by the disease. The effectiveness of these actions will need to be balanced against their impact on society."

I'd rather hear what the authorities will do, rather than what they will consider or what abstractions they will balance against what generalities.

That's why you are not a politician.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,453
    eadric said:

eadric said:

UK hits 51 cases....

We don't seem to be doing that "double every day" thing - was 39 yesterday. Still contained, as far as I can see.
    Yes, we are doing better so far. Long may it continue.

Germany, France and Korea have just reported big jumps.

Singapore and Taiwan still doing a good job of containing it.

Iran is a nightmare.

Quite a lot of variation.
    As I said to you yesterday. It is not jingoistic to say UK with our NHS and our structural advantages is better placed to face this than other nations like Iran.
    Let us strike a peace deal and heartily agree on that. The English Channel may save us again, or at least prevent the worst case scenario.

Come on Blighty.
    I did wonder yesterday whether our lack of skiing tourism is helping us here. Italy, France, Germany(?) have quite a few people jetting in from around the world spending a lot of time in close proximity. We perhaps do not, to the same extent.

A lot of people still visiting our cities, of course, but perhaps more likely to be out and about seeing the sights and then contained in less social settings (hotel rooms) at night.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

We don't seem to be doing that "double every day" thing - was 39 yesterday. Still contained, as far as I can see.
    Nick it was never "double every day" !
    Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

It was double every other day. But we're not quite doing that either.

At the moment our infection graph looks a bit more like Taiwan than it does Germany or Korea.

It may just be because we're later to the party, OR we are genuinely containing this in some way.

I think we are doing well right now. Being an island obviously helps. I don't believe we can stop this but I do believe we can really slow it down and save lives doing so.
    Interesting that ROI has only one case. Spain is a kissy kissy culture, people still doing it today they like large gatherings and food sharing. There has got to be a reason for such differences between countries. Could it be the timing of school holidays ? Or some other cultural difference?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

If Joe Biden is your party's answer to all those former Democratic voters in Michigan and Wisconsin.... well, yeah.... Good luck with that.

If African-Americans had turned out at 2012 levels then the Dems would have won Michigan.

Biden is the clear, clear pick of African-American voters.

In Wisconsin the absolute vote was down. Trump got less votes than Romney.
    He's the clear pick of the African-American voters in the Democratic primary. And short of George Wallace coming back from the dead, anyone the Democrats run in the general will be their clear pick in the general.

That being said, those states clearly weren't thrilled with the Obama legacy. And now the Dems are going to run his Vice-President.
    How many Oamam 2012 - Trump 2016 switxhers were there and how many Obama 2012 - StayingAtHomeNotVotingForHilary voters were there?
    Romney got 60 million votes in 2012, Trump got 62 million votes in 2016.

Obama got 65 million 900 000 votes in 2012, Hillary got 65 million 800 000 votes, so there was a small shift of Obama voters to Trump but a bigger turnout overall for Trump than for Romney and only a small case of Obama voters staying at home and not voting for Hillary
    I've been wrong about everything these last few years and I'm probably wrong here too. But it's not Dem-switchers that I think Biden has to really worry about. It's the enthusiasm gap.

Are those key voters going to turn out for him in key states comes November? And enough to overcome the Republican base's antipathy towards Obama?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

TOPPING said:

OK team - what about the next PB meet up?

One is overdue isn't it?

TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

May 2017 last time I think
    I think Coronavirus needs to be sorted first...
    Of course! I was just saying!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

May 2017 last time I think
    Anything significant happen since then for us to talk about?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

If Joe Biden is your party's answer to all those former Democratic voters in Michigan and Wisconsin.... well, yeah.... Good luck with that.

If African-Americans had turned out at 2012 levels then the Dems would have won Michigan.

He's the clear pick of the African-American voters in the Democratic primary. And short of George Wallace coming back from the dead, anyone the Democrats run in the general will be their clear pick in the general.

That being said, those states clearly weren't thrilled with the Obama legacy. And now the Dems are going to run his Vice-President.
    How many Oamam 2012 - Trump 2016 switxhers were there and how many Obama 2012 - StayingAtHomeNotVotingForHilary voters were there?

Obama got 65 million 900 000 votes in 2012, Hillary got 65 million 800 000 votes, so there was a small shift of Obama voters to Trump but a bigger turnout overall for Trump than for Romney and only a small case of Obama voters staying at home and not voting for Hillary
    I've been wrong about everything these last few years and I'm probably wrong here too. But it's not Dem-switchers that I think Biden has to really worry about. It's the enthusiasm gap.

Are those key voters going to turn out for him in key states comes November? And enough to overcome the Republican base's antipathy towards Obama?
    The big benefit to the Dems of Joe Biden is that he is more acceptable to socially conservative working Americans than Hillary was, or even Obama was. He may not excite them but it wouldn't be embarrassing for Joe to walk into a bar and have a crack with the guys as it would have been for Hillary or Barack. There is simply not the same animus. Hillary was a walking-taking provocation. It's noticeable that the worst that Trump can say about Biden is to call him "Sleepy Joe". I think people can live with that.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

The big benefit to the Dems of Joe Biden is that he is more acceptable to socially conservative working Americans than Hillary was, or even Obama was. He may not excite them but it wouldn't be embarrassing for Joe to walk into a bar and have a crack with the guys as it would have been for Hillary or Barack. There is simply not the same animus. Hillary was a walking-taking provocation. It's noticeable that the worst that Trump can say about Biden is to call him "Sleepy Joe". I think people can live with that.
    Wait until the campaign against “Creepy Joe” begins in earnest.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    felix said:

I see Owen Jones is organising a campaign to elect Bernie for POTUS. Buy Biden!

Really? I’m not sure why he even pretends he’s a journalist. He’s a subsidised activist.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,659
    Though reportedly the rate of early voting in California, for example, is well down on what it usually is.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Biden does have the advantage of being from Delaware. I'm in no way arguing that it';s not an eastern state but it's below the Mason-Dixon line. it's got a vaguely southern tinge to it. At a pinch, Biden can pass for a down-home folksy type.

Still, I don't think he can pull off the Democratic gambit of (a) not losing the white vote by an especially large margin, and (b) getting their core vote out on election day.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1234840995193348097?s=20
    Marked slow down in rate of testing (under 400 vs ~1000-1500/day) - trend or blip?

The worrying thing is that - aside from the 2/16 positive test reported for 31 Jan (okay, perhaps the data isn't quite as neat, but lets assume it's fairly good), the 11/375 positive tests reported for the 24 hours ending 9am this morning is the highest rate recorded for a single day (date - tests - positive - % positive):

25/01/2020 31 0 0.0%
    26/01/2020 21 0 0.0%
    27/01/2020 21 0 0.0%
    28/01/2020 24 0 0.0%
    29/01/2020 33 0 0.0%
    30/01/2020 31 0 0.0%
    31/01/2020 16 2 12.5%
    01/02/2020 26 0 0.0%
    02/02/2020 63 0 0.0%
    03/02/2020 60 0 0.0%
    04/02/2020 90 0 0.0%
    05/02/2020 50 0 0.0%
    06/02/2020 97 1 1.0%
    07/02/2020 54 0 0.0%
    08/02/2020 66 0 0.0%
    09/02/2020 108 1 0.9%
    10/02/2020 323 4 1.2%
    11/02/2020 244 0 0.0%
    12/02/2020 400 0 0.0%
    13/02/2020 763 1 0.1%
    14/02/2020 443 0 0.0%
    15/02/2020 28 0 0.0%
    16/02/2020 117 0 0.0%
    17/02/2020 1,392 0 0.0%
    18/02/2020 415 0 0.0%
    19/02/2020 300 0 0.0%
    20/02/2020 333 0 0.0%
    21/02/2020 336 0 0.0%
    22/02/2020 258 0 0.0%
    23/02/2020 172 0 0.0%
    24/02/2020 212 0 0.0%
    25/02/2020 255 4 1.6%
    26/02/2020 350 0 0.0%
    27/02/2020 558 2 0.4%
    28/02/2020 1,296 5 0.4%
    29/02/2020 1,497 3 0.2%
    01/03/2020 1,232 12 1.0%
    02/03/2020 1,770 5 0.3%
    03/03/2020 375 11 2.9%
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It may get a bit of purchase but he's running against Trump not Jimmy Carter.
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

At the moment our infection graph looks a bit more like Taiwan than it does Germany or Korea.

It may just be because we're later to the party, OR we are genuinely containing this in some way.

I think we are doing well right now. Being an island obviously helps. I don't believe we can stop this but I do believe we can really slow it down and save lives doing so.
    I hope you are right. There is some tentative evidence you might be.

I fear you could perhaps be wrong on Korea tho. After some promising signs of a slowdown, there was a large jump today.

...When you gonna get to me, get to me
    It is just a matter of (time Corona)
    Is it d-d-destiny, d-destiny?
    Or is it just a game in my (mind, Corona?)
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    eadric said:

France has gone from 130 cases to 203 in a day.

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1234844687569170432?s=20

There must be a case for closing eurotunnel, and ceasing flights. Or at least screening travellers crossing the Channel, if that can be done.

Their outbreak is uncontained.

The cases yesterday were upto 191 so that’s a small increase so far today . As for stopping flights will you be recommending the same for the USA whose handling of the virus has been a shambles .
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pot, kettle springs to mind.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

I fear you could perhaps be wrong on Korea tho. After some promising signs of a slowdown, there was a large jump today.

My wife has been singing a reworked version of that song for about a week. It amuses her.
    https://twitter.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1225799312053035008?s=20
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pot, kettle springs to mind.
    Voters who would be swayed by moral repulsion are already in the not-Trump column. If they can be deterred from voting altogether, Trump is the clear winner.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

My wife has been singing a reworked version of that song for about a week. It amuses her.

"Ai no Corona
    I find myself
    No other thought
    Just you and nothing else
    You and nothing else."

alternating with "Hey My Corona (Aiii)".
  • Options

Biden does have the advantage of being from Delaware. I'm in no way arguing that it';s not an eastern state but it's below the Mason-Dixon line. it's got a vaguely southern tinge to it. At a pinch, Biden can pass for a down-home folksy type.

Still, I don't think he can pull off the Democratic gambit of (a) not losing the white vote by an especially large margin, and (b) getting their core vote out on election day.

There's a possibility that Trump can get the Democrats core vote out on election day.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It is not Sleepy Joe or Creepy Joe the Dems should worry about. It is the compilation video of Biden's brainfades that Trump will post on Twitter.
  • Options

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

"Ai no Corona
    I find myself
    No other thought
    Just you and nothing else
    You and nothing else."

alternating with "Hey My Corona (Aiii)".
    I just don't have the knack of writing parodies...
  • Options
    Worth remembering that the UK-EU trade talks have begun in earnest this week and will probably for the long term be more important than a temporarily really bad flu season.

I wonder how the talks are going while absolutely nobody is paying attention to them - and I wonder if the absence of people paying attention will make the talks easier or harder. I suspect easier.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    You have to have some sympathy for the French. How do you surrender to a virus?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Afternoon all :)

I watched a few minutes of the Prime Minister's briefing between meetings this morning. All fine but to be honest this is easy for any Prime Minister - I could easily imagine Keir Starmer up there sounding equally convincing and in control.

Chris Whitty was superb as was the other scientific adviser and they batted back the obvious invitations to over-react (closing schools) without too much trouble.

I've two areas of concern - first, while the virus is not a risk for the majority, for those with pre-existing pulmonary and respiratory conditions it must be a huge concern. We also have concentrations of elderly people in the residential care system and if the virus gets into these facilities (via staff or visitors) the potential for disaster is obvious.

Second, while we won't all catch it, there's a risk of pockets where the infection rate is much higher.so if for example 40% of train drivers or tube drivers went off sick or were forced to self isolate, the consequences for the service would be considerable so even those not in self-isolation might find it harder to get out with all the economic and productive consequences that flow from that.

Other than that, the response so far is what it is - if the virus is loose in the general population a) we'll soon know and b) there may be no point shutting down Birmingham or York (even if you could) as the virus will be everywhere.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It is not Sleepy Joe or Creepy Joe the Dems should worry about. It is the compilation video of Biden's brainfades that Trump will post on Twitter.
    He probably will, but Trump is frequently incoherent himself and the biggest creep of all (even about his own daughter).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

Worth remembering that the UK-EU trade talks have begun in earnest this week and will probably for the long term be more important than a temporarily really bad flu season.

I wonder how the talks are going while absolutely nobody is paying attention to them - and I wonder if the absence of people paying attention will make the talks easier or harder. I suspect easier.

There's also this:

https://twitter.com/JulianBKing/status/1234188246378217472?s=20
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    On-topic: 11/4 Warren in Massachusetts with Skybet.
  • Options
    eadric said:

If this gets worse I suspect the talks will be postponed. Or they'll do it via Skype. Literally.
    I don't think that would make that much of a difference to be honest.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    On a far more important topic, I have to say I'm far from impressed with David Frost, our new "tough guy" negotiator with the EU, claiming he started his first day with a "Full English" breakfast consisting of sausages, egg, bacon and beans.

If he thinks that's a Full English, we are on the road to catastrophe.

A Full English doesn't include baked beans in my book (an optional extra or side). We would need two fried slices, kidneys, mushrooms, white pudding, black pudding and perhaps bubble & squeak to round off the repast.

I know when I've had a decent scoff for breakfast, I feel like I can chew nails in the morning - as long as I can have a nap in the afternoon but most employers seem reticent on the latter for reasons which aren't entirely clear.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eadric said:

France has gone from 130 cases to 203 in a day.

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1234844687569170432?s=20

There must be a case for closing eurotunnel, and ceasing flights. Or at least screening travellers crossing the Channel, if that can be done.

Their outbreak is uncontained.

Scotland vs France, rugby, this weekend.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eadric said:

This is a moving and challenging account from a doctor in a Wuhan hospital

https://www.jenniferzengblog.com/home/wuhan-central-hospitalshedding-blood-like-river-during-coronavirus-outbreak

It shows how brave medical stuff have been, and will have to be. I salute the likes of Foxy.

There is, however, a note of encouragement here. The doctor says the virus is worse in its earliest incarnations; then, as it spreads, it weakens.

We need to delay this f*cker, and we might escape the worst.

@eadric - perhaps there is a crumb of comfort for you in this statement by the author of the article

"Second, in the process of the virus entering the human body from the intermediate host across species and then spreading from human to human, the first and second-generation viruses are the most potent and most toxic. The earliest infected patients (including our hospital staff) were like forwards in the battle, and they paid the highest price."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Paris half marathon cancelled - that'll be Paris Marathon cancelled then.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    Animal_pb said:

You have to have some sympathy for the French. How do you surrender to a virus?
    Sunil utters a cough that sounds suspiciously like "Yorktown".
  • Options
    stodge said:

On a far more important topic, I have to say I'm far from impressed with David Frost, our new "tough guy" negotiator with the EU, claiming he started his first day with a "Full English" breakfast consisting of sausages, egg, bacon and beans.

A Full English doesn't include baked beans in my book (an optional extra or side). We would need two fried slices, kidneys, mushrooms, white pudding, black pudding and perhaps bubble & squeak to round off the repast.

I know when I've had a decent scoff for breakfast, I feel like I can chew nails in the morning - as long as I can have a nap in the afternoon but most employers seem reticent on the latter for reasons which aren't entirely clear.

It occured to me, whilst eating a non full English breakfast in the cafe earlier, that James O'Brien and the like are quite comfortable with being the kind of people who, if they saw someone they knew on the day of England playing a big football match eating a full English who happened to say "Having a patriotic breakfast before the game!", would rebuke them, list the countries the ingredients originated from and take offence for implicitly being called a traitor for not eating one.

A right laugh!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646
    stodge said:

I watched a few minutes of the Prime Minister's briefing between meetings this morning. All fine but to be honest this is easy for any Prime Minister - I could easily imagine Keir Starmer up there sounding equally convincing and in control.

Chris Whitty was superb as was the other scientific adviser and they batted back the obvious invitations to over-react (closing schools) without too much trouble.

I've two areas of concern - first, while the virus is not a risk for the majority, for those with pre-existing pulmonary and respiratory conditions it must be a huge concern. We also have concentrations of elderly people in the residential care system and if the virus gets into these facilities (via staff or visitors) the potential for disaster is obvious.

Second, while we won't all catch it, there's a risk of pockets where the infection rate is much higher.so if for example 40% of train drivers or tube drivers went off sick or were forced to self isolate, the consequences for the service would be considerable so even those not in self-isolation might find it harder to get out with all the economic and productive consequences that flow from that.

Other than that, the response so far is what it is - if the virus is loose in the general population a) we'll soon know and b) there may be no point shutting down Birmingham or York (even if you could) as the virus will be everywhere.

A good summary. I found it answered a few questions that I had been wondering about. Two things struck me:

a) It was stated by the CMO that 80% catching it was the worse case scenario, but expect it to be much less. What is magic about 80% as the upper limit. It seemed to quite a firm limit.

b) The CMO also stated that it is assumed the mortality rate is about 1% of those infected, but it may be much less as there had been no mass testing of people without symptoms in areas of mass outbreaks to see if the virus was much more widespread in the healthy population in an area where it was out of control. I am surprised the Chinese haven't done this as this would be very useful.
  • Options
    Oversimplified guide for this evening.

Winner of Texas takes the nomination.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    isam said:

stodge said:

It occured to me, whilst eating a non full English breakfast in the cafe earlier, that James O'Brien and the like are quite comfortable with being the kind of people who, if they saw someone they knew on the day of England playing a big football match eating a full English who happened to say "Having a patriotic breakfast before the game!", would rebuke them, list the countries the ingredients originated from and take offence for implicitly being called a traitor for not eating one.

A right laugh!
    Are you actually triggering yourself? :wink:

I know a lot of lefty liberals, and can think of a few who might be interested in the etymology or the English Breakfast, and might even be curious enough to read an article about the food's origins.

However, I'd be astonished if any of them read your worries and reacted with outrage, rather than just finding it mildly amusing.
  • Options
    kjh said:

stodge said:

A good summary. I found it answered a few questions that I had been wondering about. Two things struck me:

a) It was stated by the CMO that 80% catching it was the worse case scenario, but expect it to be much less. What is magic about 80% as the upper limit. It seemed to quite a firm limit.
    Don’t know where 80% comes from, but in general the virus starts hitting diminishing returns as more and more of the people it tries to infect have recovered from a previous infection and have immunity. At the moment immunity is zero, the more infected the more that falls.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    nova said:

isam said:

stodge said:

A right laugh!

He'll go blind etc
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

I was at a livery hall event last night where I saw two 75 year olds unironically bump elbows on meeting. I was halfway between being amused and being impressed at their pragmatic adaptability to changing circumstances.

A lovely smile is perfectly fine. Why the need to touch someone at all?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

The US population is growing more strongly than ours so I suspect that it's more useful to look at such figures in terms of percentage turnout of voting-age adults.

My best guess is that would show the Republicans nearly static in 2016 v 2012 and the Democrats significantly down.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    For a cruise in the Far East in January I'm pretty confident the average age would be well above 46.7 - the 46.7 average will include many 20s & 30s cruising for 3 & 4 days out of Miami - in January in the Far East the overwhelming majority will be retirees - who else takes time off in January? For World Cruise & Destination Cruises the average age is 63:

https://www.cruise1st.co.uk/blog/cruise-holidays/how-old-is-the-average-cruise-passenger/
  • Options

For a cruise in the Far East in January I'm pretty confident the average age would be well above 46.7 - the 46.7 average will include many 20s & 30s cruising for 3 & 4 days out of Miami - in January in the Far East the overwhelming majority will be retirees - who else takes time off in January?
    People in the leisure and tourism industry.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

The US population is growing more strongly than ours so I suspect that it's more useful to look at such figures in terms of percentage turnout of voting-age adults.

My best guess is that would show the Republicans nearly static in 2016 v 2012 and the Democrats significantly down.
    Trump was down on Romney by 1.1 percentage points.

He won because Democratic turnout was masssssively down.
  • Options

kjh said:

stodge said:

Don’t know where 80% comes from, but in general the virus starts hitting diminishing returns as more and more of the people it tries to infect have recovered from a previous infection and have immunity. At the moment immunity is zero, the more infected the more that falls.
    So those lucky enough not to have caught it through pure chance (or being anti social) get less likely to catch it at as time passes because of herd immunity. That is it become more and more difficult to be in contact with someone who has it as more an more will have had it and got immunity. I assume there is some maths that puts that at 80%.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    nova said:

isam said:

stodge said:

A right laugh!

I know a lot of lefty liberals, and can think of a few who might be interested in the etymology or the English Breakfast, and might even be curious enough to read an article about the food's origins.

However, I'd be astonished if any of them read your worries and reacted with outrage, rather than just finding it mildly amusing.
    I don't get it, what are my "worries"?

I just imagined James O'Brien in a cafe seeing someone in an England shirt describing a full English as a "patriotic" breakfast before a big game and wondered if he would tear a strip off them with a "I'm so bored of having to educate people" sigh

I cant imagine not giving the benefit of the doubt to someone if the roles were reversed

I'm carryin on a bout this a bit now! It doesnt matter really I suppose
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Fed cuts interest rates. Bad luck if you were shorting the S&P today.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I was at a livery hall event last night where I saw two 75 year olds unironically bump elbows on meeting. I was halfway between being amused and being impressed at their pragmatic adaptability to changing circumstances.

The Doctor on GMTV suggested a Namaste greeting. Why not?
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

stodge said:

So those lucky enough not to have caught it through pure chance (or being anti social) get less likely to catch it at as time passes because of herd immunity. That is it become more and more difficult to be in contact with someone who has it as more an more will have had it and got immunity. I assume there is some maths that puts that at 80%.
    In addition to lower infection rates treatments will have been optimised and next year sometime there will be a vaccine.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

Not all of us are blessed with a lovely smile. Some of us have teeth like the Ten Commandments: all broken.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eadric said:

eadric said:

This is a moving and challenging account from a doctor in a Wuhan hospital

https://www.jenniferzengblog.com/home/wuhan-central-hospitalshedding-blood-like-river-during-coronavirus-outbreak

It shows how brave medical stuff have been, and will have to be. I salute the likes of Foxy.

There is, however, a note of encouragement here. The doctor says the virus is worse in its earliest incarnations; then, as it spreads, it weakens.

We need to delay this f*cker, and we might escape the worst.

@eadric - perhaps there is a crumb of comfort for you in this statement by the author of the article

"Second, in the process of the virus entering the human body from the intermediate host across species and then spreading from human to human, the first and second-generation viruses are the most potent and most toxic. The earliest infected patients (including our hospital staff) were like forwards in the battle, and they paid the highest price."
    Did you not manage to read the bit in my comment, to which you are replying, where I say:

"There is, however, a note of encouragement here. The doctor says the virus is worse in its earliest incarnations; then, as it spreads, it weakens."
    Evidently not :D:D
  • Options
    edited March 2020

For a cruise in the Far East in January I'm pretty confident the average age would be well above 46.7 - the 46.7 average will include many 20s & 30s cruising for 3 & 4 days out of Miami - in January in the Far East the overwhelming majority will be retirees - who else takes time off in January?
    People in the leisure and tourism industry.

They generally don't get paid enough to go on World Cruises....And a lot of them will be getting a lot of (unpaid) time off too...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

And perhaps a brief inclination of the head if you don't feel like smiling at someone ?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,453
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Two things struck me:

The key thing is how quickly the virus spreads (i.e. how many people each active carrier infects) which is a combination of how easily it's transmitted, how long an infected person is infectious and how successful any containment is. Tweaking those assumptions changes the end point. 80% just seems to be the top end of those estimates - at least I've not seen any higher than that (I've not crunched any numbers nor seen any of the models).

Re your point about population testing, that would indeed be very interesting. However, given the numbers of actual suspected cases there's probably no time/money for that yet.
  • Options

He's been whining long enough:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1234728724219691008?s=20
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1234728725574561792?s=20
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

There was one jarring moment in Boris Johnson's otherwise excellent presser.

When he jovially said "Oh yes, I'm still shaking hands, I shook the hands of some coronavirus sufferers yesterday!"

I can see why he might say this in a cheerul, stoical, British, Keep Calm and Get a Buxom Girlfriend way, but as far as I can tell it is bad advice.

Experts say do NOT shake hands. Bump elbows, or wave, or touch your shoes together. Do NOT shake hands.

Tsk.

experts seem divided on this. pretty sure one of them this morning said it made little difference.

I guess it is probably OK if you immediately wash your hands afterwards? Maybe?

Either way, why take the risk? Just bump elbows. Stupid.
    I think because imagine the PR of Boris meeting people and then refusing to touch them like they are a leper. There would be videos all over the internet ranging from look at the posho unwilling to touch the great unwashed to massive panicking.

You really can't win in these situations if you a politician.
    A polite bow, as in Japan or Korea, ought to suffice.
    In Tanzania, the president did a leg shake.
    If I were PM I'd greet everybody Gangnam style.
    You are a monster and must be stopped before it's too late.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

These things can be counterproductive. A whiff of panic emanating from the authorities.
  • Options
    eadric said:

The Thai "wai" is a lovely, decorous form of greeting - with no contact.

And if you meet someone really important, you can give them the so-called "high wai", where the hands go above the head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting

It's Thai wai or the High Wai?
  • Options
    If you've set the book up for a two horse race, just rejoice in that polling

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1234864999471947777
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    Selebian said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Two things struck me:

The key thing is how quickly the virus spreads (i.e. how many people each active carrier infects) which is a combination of how easily it's transmitted, how long an infected person is infectious and how successful any containment is. Tweaking those assumptions changes the end point. 80% just seems to be the top end of those estimates - at least I've not seen any higher than that (I've not crunched any numbers nor seen any of the models).

Re your point about population testing, that would indeed be very interesting. However, given the numbers of actual suspected cases there's probably no time/money for that yet.
    The general idea is right but 80% is a practical rule of thumb rather than a mathematical change point, and I have often seen 90% used as the point where herd immunity kicks in as well. Herd immunity is usually considered for vaccinations rather than for the actual disease. For example with chicken pox, before there was a vaccine, there were lots of outbreaks amongst children even though well over 80% of adults had immunity.

If 80% of people get this virus within the next 12 months, we are in for a very miserable time. I cannot see the proportion of infections getting anywhere near that level. 10% will be bad enough.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

And perhaps a brief inclination of the head if you don't feel like smiling at someone ?
    Exactly.

We need to behave like our grandparents and great grandparents did before vaccines and antibiotics were prevalent ie much much less social touching. Take our cue from all those Jane Austen dramas where it is all longing looks and the occasional gloved touching during decorous dances, with all the action - as it were - in the eyes.
  • Options
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Was that 1.1% drop across the US? I had assumed that it was down considerably in places lick Utah, but up in places lick Michigan, but I have not checked.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Cyclefree said:

Update from the front line. Am in Paris for meetings.

Of the three, one cancelled because they are trying to cut down on interactions with travellers, one cancelled because the markets are crazy, and one withdrew his hand as I put mine (newly sanitised) out to shake it.

Uber driver most phlegmatic of the lot.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Or the Vulcan Salute?
  • Options
    isam said:

nova said:

isam said:

stodge said:

A right laugh!

I just imagined James O'Brien in a cafe seeing someone in an England shirt describing a full English as a "patriotic" breakfast before a big game and wondered if he would tear a strip off them with a "I'm so bored of having to educate people" sigh

I cant imagine not giving the benefit of the doubt to someone if the roles were reversed

You didn't just say you imagined it, but that you believed he would be "quite comfortable" acting that way, and what you described was someone acting in a fairly offensive, and stupid manner.

My reply was clearly lighthearted - but I was suggesting that you're causing yourself offence, even if you're laughing it off at the same time.
  • Options
    If true, this - https://twitter.com/johnsimpsonnews/status/1234774845449293825?s=21. - is very encouraging news.

Let’s hope so.
  • Options
    isam said:

eadric said:

The Thai "wai" is a lovely, decorous form of greeting - with no contact.

And if you meet someone really important, you can give them the so-called "high wai", where the hands go above the head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting

It's Thai wai or the High Wai?
    Oh ye'll tak the High Wai an' I'll tak the Low Wai, ....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Thanks for that - so an important point is that Trump only had more votes than Romney because the population had expanded so much overall and it's not a sign that he was a better candidate than Romney.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    eristdoof said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Or the Vulcan Salute?
    1940s Germany has a suggestion.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Cyclefree said:

If true, this - https://twitter.com/johnsimpsonnews/status/1234774845449293825?s=21. - is very encouraging news.

Let’s hope so.

In exchange for medical assistance?
  • Options
    eadric said:

That's mildly encouraging. No community transmission, all traced.

Come on Britain. Keep it up.
    The advantage of being an island...

...although if it takes hold... 28 weeks later we might be wishing we could leave :)
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Wise PB preppers - what's the best way to get enough of the nutrients that would normally come from fresh fruit and vegetables if we enter a long period of self-isolation? Or to put it another way, what deficiencies are likely to result from a diet of rice, pasta, and dried peaches / apricots?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

If you've set the book up for a two horse race, just rejoice in that polling.

Amazing that just a few days ago the markets were implying a 29% chance of someone other than Biden or Bernie getting the gig. That was clearly too high.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Wise PB preppers - what's the best way to get enough of the nutrients that would normally come from fresh fruit and vegetables if we enter a long period of self-isolation? Or to put it another way, what deficiencies are likely to result from a diet of rice, pasta, and dried peaches / apricots?

Have you considered frozen veg?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    nova said:

eadric said:

That's mildly encouraging. No community transmission, all traced.

Come on Britain. Keep it up.
    The advantage of being an island...

...although if it takes hold... 28 weeks later we might be wishing we could leave :)
    28 weeks later? Hmmm.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmSjmvY9MLc
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

If you've set the book up for a two horse race, just rejoice in that polling

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1234864999471947777

I'm pleased to see you've recovered from that Bloomberg 2/1 heart attack!!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Chameleon said:

Have you considered frozen veg?
    Hate the stuff, and don't have a particularly large freezer in one of the locations I'm prepping.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    nova said:

isam said:

nova said:

isam said:

stodge said:

A right laugh!

You didn't just say you imagined it, but that you believed he would be "quite comfortable" acting that way, and what you described was someone acting in a fairly offensive, and stupid manner.

My reply was clearly lighthearted - but I was suggesting that you're causing yourself offence, even if you're laughing it off at the same time.
    I imagined him being comfortable with it, because he did exactly that voluntarily on twitter this morning, and the example I described is the real life version of his tweet.

• Options
    eadric said:

Tinned tuna is apparently excellent for providing lots of things. Bit tough on the tuna if this wipes them out, but if we have to choose which species get to survive...
    Including mercury :)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Let’s hope so.

In exchange for medical assistance?
    Medical assistance should be forthcoming anyway?

First piece of decent PR for Iran for months.
  • Options
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Cyclefree said:

Not all of us are blessed with a lovely smile. Some of us have teeth like the Ten Commandments: all broken.
    You’ve broken all ten? Blimey.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

Vitamin D due to lack of sun?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    edited March 2020

UK hits 51 cases....

If you look at the graph of cases outside China on the log scale you will see it is linear so it is exponential so far.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

It has gone from 248 on 5Feb to 10297 on 2 Mar.
    That is an exponential growth of 17% a day or a doubling every five days.

The increase in the UK from 39 to 51 in a day is a 30% growth in a day, or a doubling every three days.

If the first case in the UK was on 31st Jan, then it has been a 17% a day growth to get up to 51 today, or a doubling every five days.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,700
    Big changes since this morning.

Biden 1.81
    Sanders 3.05
    Bloomberg 16.5

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.128161111
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    Foss said:

Vitamin D due to lack of sun?
    Tinned sardines and pickled herrings.

In 14 days, I'd suggest not a lot. It takes longer than that to get scurvy.
This discussion has been closed.