Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Warren looks a promising bet in Massachusetts following the Bu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Warren looks a promising bet in Massachusetts following the Buttigieg and Klobuchar withdrawals

A big problem with just about all the Super Tuesday polls is that they were carried out before Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar announced that they were pulling out so it is hard to assess where their support will go.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2020
    Unlikely but amusingly if all Buttigieg and Klobuchar voters followed their candidates example and voted for Biden then he could also win it and either Sanders or Warren could come third.

Available at 16/1, is that value?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    edited March 2020
    Second
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Betting question: Betfair`s Dem candidate market rules say: "This market will be settled on the candidate voted to be the Democratic Party nominee as a result of the 2020 Democratic National Convention."

So if a candidate is hailed as the nominee but later on suffered a medical problem, or dies, and another candidate steps in to go on to fight the election against Trump, BF would pay out on the original nominee? Correct?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Stocky said:

Betting question: Betfair`s Dem candidate market rules say: "This market will be settled on the candidate voted to be the Democratic Party nominee as a result of the 2020 Democratic National Convention."

So if a candidate is hailed as the nominee but later on suffered a medical problem, or dies, and another candidate steps in to go on to fight the election against Trump, BF would pay out on the original nominee? Correct?

Presumably they'd have already settled the market by that point.
  • Options
    Sanders is Jeremy Corbyn issue #9356

https://twitter.com/markos/status/1234577158883827712
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

No I don`t think so, because there is another condition that says that the election in 2020 must have gone ahead.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,989
    Stocky said:

The candidate still has to get to the convention and receive the nomination - if they die before the convention which is July 16th - 19th you wouldn't win the bet.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I see Owen Jones is organising a campaign to elect Bernie for POTUS. Buy Biden!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    I've laid Sanders for tuppence ha'penny here at 1.4
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    For the Democrats they shouldn’t think it’s better to lose with Bernie than Biden.

Look at Labour - they lost with a commie crank and have they learned or gained anything ?

Nope.

Dems should go for Biden even if he will lose to Trump.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

Stocky said:

No I don`t think so, because there is another condition that says that the election in 2020 must have gone ahead.
    The general election? That's a bit weird - why would Betfair want to leave open the possibility of something happening that voids the market that's already done and dusted?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eek said:

Stocky said:

The candidate still has to get to the convention and receive the nomination - if they die before the convention which is July 16th - 19th you wouldn't win the bet.
    Back the likely VPs and knocked out candidates in the presidential market at 1000
  • Options
    felix said:

I see Owen Jones is organising a campaign to elect Bernie for POTUS. Buy Biden!

Who is Eddie Izzard backing?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    eadric said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

There must be a really serious chance that one of these candidates will die or fall very ill from coronavirus. Sanders looks particularly vulnerable: old, visibly frail, recent heart attack, male. He's in a very high risk category, and he should be avoiding crowds! He's doing the one thing most likely to kill him.

This is not unlikely. Coronavirus is scything through Iranian politicians.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1234772870019960833?s=20
    Its one way of getting regime change...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    One massive concern I have are universities. They are ideal for covert outbreaks.

It's especially bad because of Uni demographics, they're young and generally fit, which means they won't feel much more than a slight cold on the whole.

Lots of people at a major university or two getting the virus then returning home for Easter would distribute cases all over the country, and burst containment.
  • Options
    eadric said:

It's also attacking German politicians

https://twitter.com/watch_union/status/1234825438192689152?s=20

Being a politician is probably the riskiest job on the planet right now. All that baby kissing and sitting in rooms.

Nah, being a hooker is.

All those clients, all that touching, kissing and more.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

One massive concern I have are universities. They are ideal for covert outbreaks.

It's especially bad because of Uni demographics, they're young and generally fit, which means they won't feel much more than a slight cold on the whole.

Lots of people at a major university or two getting the virus then returning home for Easter would distribute cases all over the country, and burst containment.

I think it is nailed on they will be large spreaders. Think what happens every Freshers week, every uni ends up as some mass outbreak of cold / flu type illness.

And by the time somebody tests positive, they will have come into close contact with masses of people.
  • Options
    If Joe Biden is your party's answer to all those former Democratic voters in Michigan and Wisconsin.... well, yeah.... Good luck with that.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,329

eadric said:

Being a politician is probably the riskiest job on the planet right now. All that baby kissing and sitting in rooms.

Nah, being a hooker is.

I used to know some working girls and they said the secret was to get it "over with" before anyone actually touched anything.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,747
    FPT:

Surely must be about time for the UK daily updated figures, no?

Daily at 14.00 UK - data to 09.00 that day.
  • Options

eadric said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

There must be a really serious chance that one of these candidates will die or fall very ill from coronavirus. Sanders looks particularly vulnerable: old, visibly frail, recent heart attack, male. He's in a very high risk category, and he should be avoiding crowds! He's doing the one thing most likely to kill him.

Has any government had a shittier 2020 than the Iranians?

I mean having one of your top guys taken out by a drone strike by the Great Satan, then shooting down a passenger plane in the aftermath, then handling Covid-19 very badly.
  • Options

eadric said:

Nah, being a hooker is.

Are all those in the knocking shop in Spain still stuck there?
  • Options

eadric said:

Nah, being a hooker is.

I believe so, just over a week left I think.
  • Options

eadric said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

I mean having one of your top guys taken out by a drone strike by the Great Satan, then shooting down a passenger plane in the aftermath, then handling Covid-19 very badly.
    Trump is giving it a good go...
  • Options

eadric said:

Nah, being a hooker is.

Wonder if they are out of condoms yet?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    eadric said:

There was one jarring moment in Boris Johnson's otherwise excellent presser.

When he jovially said "Oh yes, I'm still shaking hands, I shook the hands of some coronavirus sufferers yesterday!"

I can see why he might say this in a cheerul, stoical, British, Keep Calm and Get a Buxom Girlfriend way, but as far as I can tell it is bad advice.

Experts say do NOT shake hands. Bump elbows, or wave, or touch your shoes together. Do NOT shake hands.

Tsk.

experts seem divided on this. pretty sure one of them this morning said it made little difference.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Nah, being a hooker is.

Wonder if they are out of condoms yet?
    Just realised that quite a few people might run out of contraceptives.

This really IS going to change the age profile of the planet.
    Nailed on bump in births in a years time. There is only so much Baby Yoda you can watch...
  • Options
    12 more people test positive.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

eadric said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

LOL......Joining the Trumpistas pushing for regime change?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

When he jovially said "Oh yes, I'm still shaking hands, I shook the hands of some coronavirus sufferers yesterday!"

I can see why he might say this in a cheerul, stoical, British, Keep Calm and Get a Buxom Girlfriend way, but as far as I can tell it is bad advice.

Experts say do NOT shake hands. Bump elbows, or wave, or touch your shoes together. Do NOT shake hands.

Tsk.

experts seem divided on this. pretty sure one of them this morning said it made little difference.

I guess it is probably OK if you immediately wash your hands afterwards? Maybe?

Either way, why take the risk? Just bump elbows. Stupid.
    I think because imagine the PR of Boris meeting people and then refusing to touch them like they are a leper. There would be videos all over the internet ranging from look at the posho unwilling to touch the great unwashed to massive panicking.

You really can't win in these situations if you a politician.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Tsk.

Wrong again.

He was on stage with the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Science Officer and neither of them said that. The advice at this stage is to wash your hands, not to avoid shaking hands. The Chief Medial Officer has said the day they advise against shaking hands may come soon but that is not currently the advice.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eadric said:

Nah, being a hooker is.

I’m 90% sure that was fake news
  • Options

eadric said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

I've been arguing for regime change for decades, before Trump even knew where Iran was.

I'm the founder of the Start The War Coalition.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

I agree. I wont be shaking hands for next few months.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,651

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

I think because imagine the PR of Boris meeting people and then refusing to touch them like they are a leper. There would be videos all over the internet ranging from look at the posho unwilling to touch the great unwashed to massive panicking.

A polite bow, as in Japan or Korea, ought to suffice.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

In Tanzania, the president did a leg shake.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

In Tanzania, the president did a leg shake.
    If I were PM I'd greet everybody Gangnam style.
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

No - I realise that. But if the candidate won the nomoination at the DNC and then died my understanding of the rules is that BF would still pay out on the dead candidate even though a different candidate goes on to fight the general election.
  • Options

eadric said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

I've been arguing for regime change for decades, before Trump even knew where Iran was.

I'm the founder of the Start The War Coalition.
    Its a huge shame, right enough. A countryn with massive potential. I hope it happens one day,
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

If Joe Biden is your party's answer to all those former Democratic voters in Michigan and Wisconsin.... well, yeah.... Good luck with that.

If African-Americans had turned out at 2012 levels then the Dems would have won Michigan.

Biden is the clear, clear pick of African-American voters.

In Wisconsin the absolute vote was down. Trump got less votes than Romney.
  • Options
    Virus probably doesn't last on surfaces more than 48 hours says GP on R4.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

Wrong again.

He was on stage with the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Science Officer and neither of them said that. The advice at this stage is to wash your hands, not to avoid shaking hands. The Chief Medial Officer has said the day they advise against shaking hands may come soon but that is not currently the advice.
    Jesus Christ. Do some reading

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1234808733529726976?s=20

https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/status/1231582022524719105?s=20

https://twitter.com/mayawiley/status/1233826545598369797?s=20

https://twitter.com/mims/status/1234470884410261504?s=20

https://twitter.com/BreakfastNews/status/1234565910058299392?s=20
    Quotes from random people on Twitter, I can do the same if I could be arsed showing the opposition opinion. That is why we have a Chief Medical Officer who gives out proper advice.

The Chief Medical Officer trumps random Twitteroids and I'll stick with that advice thank you very much.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

eadric said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Flip that around - let's hope no-one has a worse 2020.

However, America re-electing Trump might yet prove to be.
  • Options
    GP on R4: Don't shake hands
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,329
    OK team - what about the next PB meet up?

One is overdue isn't it?
  • Options
    The Guardian on the verge of civil war...

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1234826071851315200
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

As long as no-one sneezes whilst your bowing..... You just narrowed the gap!
  • Options
    Health Secretary live now in Parliament "the medical advice on shaking hands is the impact of shaking hands is negligible what really matters is washing hands, so our public health advice is clear and will remain based upon that science"
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Just don't shake hands with Mike Pence.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

Wrong again.

Quotes from random people on Twitter, I can do the same if I could be arsed showing the opposition opinion. That is why we have a Chief Medical Officer who gives out proper advice.

The Chief Medical Officer trumps random Twitteroids and I'll stick with that advice thank you very much.
    Why doesn't the world adopt the Yorkshire greeting? The tiniest nod of the head to acknowledge the presence of another, with an optional, if slightly grumpy "'ow do?"
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    We have a Maine poll out now excluding Buttigieg and Klobuchar and Sanders still ahead there

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1234699179978612736?s=20
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Health Secretary live now in Parliament "the medical advice on shaking hands is the impact of shaking hands is negligible what really matters is washing hands, so our public health advice is clear and will remain based upon that science"

You are trusting the other person to have washed theirs though. Have just returned fro hospital where the doctor shook my hand twice,
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

Wrong again.

They're all virologists, experts, health ministers, etc. See the blue ticks. Not "random people on Twitter".

Tell you what, Philip. You go off and do your thing, go to loads of parties and gigs, go to the cinema every evening, spend time in crowded pubs, shake hands with strangers, dance the tango with people who are coughing, have a ton of fun. That's fair enough, it's your choice.

I'll put £50 behind the bar at your wake*.

*This is a joke. I don't want you to snuff it. I like you. I just think you are being a bit blinkered

LOL. Not blinkered, I believe in science not drama. If the science starts to say stop shaking hands (and the Chief Medical Officer has said that day may come but is not here yet) then at that point I would respect that. As it stands it is unnecessary.

Having said that YMMV, if I was high-risk rather than healthy I would adopt it early as a precaution. But as a healthy young man I'm not going to contradict the Chief Medical Officer of the UK.
  • Options
    UK hits 51 cases....
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I was at a livery hall event last night where I saw two 75 year olds unironically bump elbows on meeting. I was halfway between being amused and being impressed at their pragmatic adaptability to changing circumstances.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

Wrong again.

They're all virologists, experts, health ministers, etc. See the blue ticks. Not "random people on Twitter".

Tell you what, Philip. You go off and do your thing, go to loads of parties and gigs, go to the cinema every evening, spend time in crowded pubs, shake hands with strangers, dance the tango with people who are coughing, have a ton of fun. That's fair enough, it's your choice.

*This is a joke. I don't want you to snuff it. I like you. I just think you are being a bit blinkered

I saw a headline in the telly that one per cent of those who contract Corona could die.

Turn it around and its a 99% survival rate. And this is before a vaccine.
  • Options

I was at a livery hall event last night where I saw two 75 year olds unironically bump elbows on meeting. I was halfway between being amused and being impressed at their pragmatic adaptability to changing circumstances.

Did they skip the loving cup stuff?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The Guardian on the verge of civil war...

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1234826071851315200

I see transphobes are being silenced again by *checks notes* having a full page article in the Guardian.
  • Options
  • Options
    Should be noted the Guardian's USA staff put in a complaint to management about how transphobic the paper was so this is hardly new.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

Wrong again.

I saw a headline in the telly that one per cent of those who contract Corona could die.

So only about 10 times as lethal as flu? Phew, that's a relief!
  • Options
    One wonders if Pence or Trump got the virus whether they'd even tell the media that they had.

Any other government absolutely, but these two would probably just shush it up.
  • Options

It was a bridge competition (I was stupendously rusty) so none of that nonsense was going on anyway. We were well fed and watered, so play in the second half was considerably looser than in the first half.

It was a good excuse to have another look around Draper's Hall.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Tsk.

Yes, that's probably it. Tho this German politician doesn't seem to care

https://twitter.com/CoronavirusUSA0/status/1234506735890681856?s=20
    That's a disgraceful tweet.

'Siting' ?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If African-Americans had turned out at 2012 levels then the Dems would have won Michigan.

He's the clear pick of the African-American voters in the Democratic primary. And short of George Wallace coming back from the dead, anyone the Democrats run in the general will be their clear pick in the general.

That being said, those states clearly weren't thrilled with the Obama legacy. And now the Dems are going to run his Vice-President.
  • Options

One wonders if Pence or Trump got the virus whether they'd even tell the media that they had.

Any other government absolutely, but these two would probably just shush it up.
    The Vice-President isn't allowed to be in a room with a virus without his wife present as well.
  • Options
    Here are "Data for progress" Super Tuesday numbers run through the delegate calculator :

429 Biden
    429 Sanders
    261 Bloomberg
    222 Warren
  • Options

It was a bridge competition (I was stupendously rusty) so none of that nonsense was going on anyway. We were well fed and watered, so play in the second half was considerably looser than in the first half.

It was a good excuse to have another look around Draper's Hall.
    No Trumps my favourite contract.
  • Options
    Creepy as ever, then ?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,306
    TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

You could have it in a park somewhere, everyone stand two metres apart with their supermarket beer and holler at each other (no change there then). The police will be too busy to take issue.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

UK hits 51 cases....

We don't seem to be doing that "double every day" thing - was 39 yesterday. Still contained, as far as I can see.
  • Options

UK hits 51 cases....

We don't seem to be doing that "double every day" thing - was 39 yesterday. Still contained, as far as I can see.
    Nick it was never "double every day" !
  • Options

Alistair said:

He's the clear pick of the African-American voters in the Democratic primary. And short of George Wallace coming back from the dead, anyone the Democrats run in the general will be their clear pick in the general.

That being said, those states clearly weren't thrilled with the Obama legacy. And now the Dems are going to run his Vice-President.
    How many Oamam 2012 - Trump 2016 switxhers were there and how many Obama 2012 - StayingAtHomeNotVotingForHilary voters were there?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

You are trusting the other person to have washed theirs though. Have just returned fro hospital where the doctor shook my hand twice,
    More to the point, advising not to shake hands reinforces the message that hands transmit infection - which reinforces the wash hands advice.
    Simple and consistent messages are most likely to be widely followed, and this one is important.

FWIW, there seems to be a working hypothesis that this thing is far more readily spread by physical contact than the airborne route.

Any medics care to comment ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

It was in other countries who'd hit this many cases, like in Italy. Worth bearing in mind that it isn't even 51 sick I believe, I believe the 51 includes cases who've been discharged already.

Our methods are working to slow it, definitely.
  • Options
    Bernie now out to 3.15-3.2. That's beginning to look a bit overdone, isn't it?
  • Options
    eadric said:

UK hits 51 cases....

Yes, we are doing better so far. Long may it continue.

Germany, France and Korea have just reported big jumps.

Singapore and Taiwan still doing a good job of containing it.

Iran is a nightmare.

Quite a lot of variation.
    As I said to you yesterday. It is not jingoistic to say UK with our NHS and our structural advantages is better placed to face this than other nations like Iran.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

eadric said:

eadric said:

May I respectfully suggest that this is a slightly thoughtless way of looking at it. What we know about this virus is that for most younger people it is a passing inconvenience and little threat but for the older and sicker part of our society it is a potentially lethal threat requiring at best substantial hospital treatment.

The issue is not whether you get the virus or not. The issue is whether the elderly or sick you come into contact with do. We all have a duty to take all reasonable steps to either prevent or at least slow down the spread of this virus for others, if not ourselves so that our medical facilities can cope and those at risk have the best chance.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:

We have a Maine poll out now excluding Buttigieg and Klobuchar and Sanders still ahead there

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1234699179978612736?s=20

True, but Change Research are perhaps the most Sanders-favoured pollster in this race. A week ago they released a national poll which had him on 40% to Biden's 9%! Warren was 2nd on 20%.

https://www.electionscience.org/commentary-analysis/two-thirds-of-democratic-voters-support-multiple-candidates-but-current-polls-wont-tell-you-that/
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/china-s-aggressive-measures-have-slowed-coronavirus-they-may-not-work-other-countries

While it seems China's eventual reaction has done well, one downside they are struggling to find enough new cases to test the drugs under trial.

This is also positive...

A critical unknown is how many mild or asymptomatic cases occur. If large numbers of infections are below the radar, that complicates attempts to isolate infectious people and slow spread of the virus. But on the positive side, if the virus causes few, if any, symptoms in many infected people, the current estimated case fatality rate is too high.
  • Options

MY early sell of Biden is now looking hellaciously foolish.

I agree though, this looks over done. I'm not really in a position to try and make a decisive financial move on this. I'll just take the green I have and be happy about it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited March 2020
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

How many Oamam 2012 - Trump 2016 switxhers were there and how many Obama 2012 - StayingAtHomeNotVotingForHilary voters were there?
    Romney got 60 million votes in 2012, Trump got 62 million votes in 2016.

Obama got 65 million 900 000 votes in 2012, Hillary got 65 million 800 000 votes, so there was a small shift of Obama voters to Trump but a bigger turnout overall for Trump than for Romney and only a small case of Obama voters staying at home and not voting for Hillary
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Yes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

More to the point, advising not to shake hands reinforces the message that hands transmit infection - which reinforces the wash hands advice.
    Simple and consistent messages are most likely to be widely followed, and this one is important.

FWIW, there seems to be a working hypothesis that this thing is far more readily spread by physical contact than the airborne route.

Not shaking hands can be like wearing non-disposable gloves, it gives a false sense of security and thus means people think falsely that they don't need to wash their hands.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

It was double every other day. But we're not quite doing that either.

At the moment our infection graph looks a bit more like Taiwan than it does Germany or Korea.

It may just be because we're later to the party, OR we are genuinely containing this in some way.

First cases in the UK were back on 31st January.
  • Options
    The House of Mouse is chicken.

Disney has been forced to scrap plans for a glitzy European press launch for Disney+ in London this week after the event became one of the latest industry gatherings to be hit by coronavirus fears.

Disney was hosting the party at the Exhibition London event space on March 5 to “celebrate the European launch of Disney+.” It was set to include “exclusive” presentations from key executives and creative heads, while a number of special guests were expected to attend.

However, the company has axed the event, which was expected to host hundreds of people, over fears of the global pandemic, which has so far killed over 3,000 people with over 90,000 infected. Instead, Disney will promote the Disney+ launch through social media and press notices. The company will also showcase the streaming service to select journalists during a demo in central London on Friday.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/disney-european-launch-axed-coronavirus-1202873059/
  • Options

I've been of the view for some time that The Establishment would stop Bernie Sanders and for a little while that has meant that it would coalesce around Joe Biden. But I've just reversed my positions on the two because it's not that clear cut.
  • Options

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/china-s-aggressive-measures-have-slowed-coronavirus-they-may-not-work-other-countries

While it seems China's eventual reaction has done well, one downside they are struggling to find enough new cases to test the drugs under trial.

This is also positive...

A critical unknown is how many mild or asymptomatic cases occur. If large numbers of infections are below the radar, that complicates attempts to isolate infectious people and slow spread of the virus. But on the positive side, if the virus causes few, if any, symptoms in many infected people, the current estimated case fatality rate is too high.

Maybe they should try Iran.
  • Options

The House of Mouse is chicken.

Disney has been forced to scrap plans for a glitzy European press launch for Disney+ in London this week after the event became one of the latest industry gatherings to be hit by coronavirus fears.

Disney was hosting the party at the Exhibition London event space on March 5 to “celebrate the European launch of Disney+.” It was set to include “exclusive” presentations from key executives and creative heads, while a number of special guests were expected to attend.

However, the company has axed the event, which was expected to host hundreds of people, over fears of the global pandemic, which has so far killed over 3,000 people with over 90,000 infected. Instead, Disney will promote the Disney+ launch through social media and press notices. The company will also showcase the streaming service to select journalists during a demo in central London on Friday.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/disney-european-launch-axed-coronavirus-1202873059/

Surely the Baby Yoda could heal any of those struck down?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Not shaking hands can be like wearing non-disposable gloves, it gives a false sense of security and thus means people think falsely that they don't need to wash their hands.
    It reinforces the idea that you can get it from touching things, so it has the opposite effect of the false sense of security from wearing gloves.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

Pulpstar said:

UK hits 51 cases....

It was double every other day. But we're not quite doing that either.

At the moment our infection graph looks a bit more like Taiwan than it does Germany or Korea.

It may just be because we're later to the party, OR we are genuinely containing this in some way.

I think we are doing well right now. Being an island obviously helps. I don't believe we can stop this but I do believe we can really slow it down and save lives doing so.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

It reinforces the idea that you can get it from touching things, so it has the opposite effect of the false sense of security from wearing gloves.
    The advice is not to not touch things though, you're not going to stop touching things, the advice is to wash your hands.

Again, I'm happy to stick with the official medical advice as offered by the Chief Medical Officer. If the advice changes (and it may) then so be it.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1234834369166049283?s=20
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

May 2017 last time I think
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1234840995193348097?s=20
    Marked slow down in rate of testing (under 400 vs ~1000-1500/day) - trend or blip?
  • Options

This is also positive...

I thought that their most recent research indicated that they had not found this big pool of asymptomatic carriers when doing neighborhood checks. Which does suggest that the rate of those who get very sick/die is possibly a bit higher than we had been hoping.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

TOPPING said:

One is overdue isn't it?

May 2017 last time I think
    I think Coronavirus needs to be sorted first...
  • Options

The advice is not to not touch things though, you're not going to stop touching things, the advice is to wash your hands.

Again, I'm happy to stick with the official medical advice as offered by the Chief Medical Officer. If the advice changes (and it may) then so be it.

What might be behind this is that, rather counter-intuitively, viruses tend to survive longer on hard surfaces than they do on your hands or on tissues or clothing - on your hands, something like 5 to 15 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.