Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With both Bernie and Biden close to their 80s their VP choices

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,491
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

It’s so weird. I don’t even know what “mining” is or how it works.

I do know it’s completely contrived by clever code though.
    Edmund and Robert are the real experts here, but basically mining is using computing power to ‘solve’ ever more difficult maths equations in order to generate one of a finite number of credits. Credits, “bitcoins”, are also given for maintaining a ledger of transactions, known as the blockchain.

For quite a while now, it’s been uneconomical for anyone to mine bitcoin that is paying for their own electricity at standard commercial rates, hence computer virii that run bitcoin miners.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#Mining
    That’s a good attempt, thank you, but you still kind of lost me after the first sentence.

This is why gold is good. It’s rare, it’s precious, it’s a great conductor, it’s very shiny and pretty and virtually every society in human history has dug it (sorry) so we know it will stand the test of time. It’s malleable and portable too.

Since I have no idea how to go about buying it (although I know my house is roughly worth one gold bullion bar) I may just go down to the high street jewellers and have a look at what they’ve got.
    I assume you are joking, high street jewellers have the biggest mark up on anything ever. Google bullion and you'll find lots of people wanting to sell it to you. The Royal Mint are probably fairly trustworthy.
    I had clients involved in a lease dispute a while ago now and their mark up on High Street jewelry was between 1,000-1200%. I've never seen a margin anything like it. Obviously actual turnover is not that great and there is the overhead of the shop etc but wow.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,041
    Mobile phones as fomites for potential pathogens in hospitals: microbiome analysis reveals hidden contaminants
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0195670119303913
    Almost all (99.2%) of hospital staff smartphones were contaminated with potential pathogens, and bacterial colony forming units (CFUs) were significantly higher on hospital phones than in the control group. Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE) were only detected on hospital mobile phones. Metabarcoding revealed a far greater abundance of Gram-negative contaminants, and much greater diversity, than culture-based methods. Bacillus spp. were significantly more abundant in the hospital group.

Pretty sure this will will apply to coronavirus, too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,569
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Edmund and Robert are the real experts here, but basically mining is using computing power to ‘solve’ ever more difficult maths equations in order to generate one of a finite number of credits. Credits, “bitcoins”, are also given for maintaining a ledger of transactions, known as the blockchain.

For quite a while now, it’s been uneconomical for anyone to mine bitcoin that is paying for their own electricity at standard commercial rates, hence computer virii that run bitcoin miners.

That’s a good attempt, thank you, but you still kind of lost me after the first sentence.

This is why gold is good. It’s rare, it’s precious, it’s a great conductor, it’s very shiny and pretty and virtually every society in human history has dug it (sorry) so we know it will stand the test of time. It’s malleable and portable too.

Since I have no idea how to go about buying it (although I know my house is roughly worth one gold bullion bar) I may just go down to the high street jewellers and have a look at what they’ve got.
    I assume you are joking, high street jewellers have the biggest mark up on anything ever. Google bullion and you'll find lots of people wanting to sell it to you. The Royal Mint are probably fairly trustworthy.
    I had clients involved in a lease dispute a while ago now and their mark up on High Street jewelry was between 1,000-1200%. I've never seen a margin anything like it. Obviously actual turnover is not that great and there is the overhead of the shop etc but wow.
    When there are various reliable safe ways you can invest in gold without having to worry about the security and insurance for storing it (or paying someone else to), why would you want to physically own it? Unless you're going on the run. In investment terms it should be the same as hog futures - you don't want to meet the actual pigs.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sandpit said:

Betfair under-round news.

Six layable candidates now, still including the two non-running former First Ladies.

Back prices for the six sum to 98.1%, and the four actual runners sum to 95.2%, suggesting that punters still think that there’s nearly a 5% chance of some conference shenanigans.

Punters could be right. There must be a fair chance that the winner of the Biden-Sanders duelk dies shortly before the convention. Do delegates then choose the rival? Probably not - they look around...
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,914
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Here’s a theoretical question. Under the Presidential rule of succession how many people would the virus have to take out before we could have confidence in the leadership.

Also, don’t the rules of succession change dependent on whether the country is at war? (Something about defence secretary being boosted?).

Nancy Pelosi is third in line, though that would require both Trump and Pence to die before a further VP could be appointed.
    Which is why Trump and Pence never travel on the same plane or in the same car, and don’t appear together anywhere that isn’t a locked down government building.
    Viruses sneak past even the best security lockdown.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    So after Bloomberg and Warren both quit does Hillary Clinton move back into 20-1 ?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,675

We're at the "endorse Biden so that people remember you exist" stage.

https://www.twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1234639585734467585

For four years' time, pbers should make a list of all the vaguely plausible centrists that have been touted: Beto; Pete; Kamala Harris; KLOBUCHAR.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

Happy Super Tuesday PB!

Good news for the Asian markets, they’re heading back up this morning.

Singapore have done an excellent job, isolating people and spending time tracing back the routes by which they became infected.
    Hope you have a safe trip back, don’t be surprised if you get quarantined on your return to the UK though.
    Singapore's about the last country you should be quarantined for arriving from. France, the USA, Italy, on the other hand....
    But people from all over Asia transit there. The UK should really now be quarantining *everyone* arriving from abroad - one massive advantage of being an island is the ability to control people coming in when there’s a global virus epidemic.
    Not from mainland China. Frankly the ME hubs pose a much greater risk, next to Iran, with flights from DOH, and DXB. I'm going through DOH a fortnight tonight!

Meanwhile Qatar is quarantining arrivals

All passengers (including Qatari nationals and those holding a Qatar Residency Permit) travelling from China, Iran, South Korea and Italy whose final destination is Doha will be asked to stay in a quarantine facility for 14 days as per the World Health Organization’s measures.

All passengers arriving from Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore will be screened and those displaying disease symptoms will be taken for further testing. Passengers returning positive test results will be admitted to treatment centres as per the measures of the Ministry of Public Health.

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006229097-COVID-19-Coronavirus-Update
    Wow, just seen that. Yes, the Gulf states are seriously panicking about Iran. It’s thought that sick people are travelling abroad from Iran to be treated, as the Iranian heath system is completely broken.
    Qatar have suspended all flights to Iran except Tehran - but as Iran is their friend against Saudi bullying they're probably reluctant to cut that.

Meanwhile BA usually run two flights a day to Singapore - a 380 and a 777 (which continues to Sydney). They are dropping the 380 every other day through March. SQ have already cancelled LHR flights.
    So people from Singapore trying to get to London are going to end up on EK or QR, flying through the Middle East with a bunch of Iranians!
    I am in the process of rebooking my flight to avoid Middle East. I can get a single ticket for 200quid with Qantas direct. This is not normal.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT - I see we've gone from bed-wetting to pant-shitting.

For Christ's sake: pull yourselves together people.

Sean will look like such a tit when the true path of this virus maps out.
    Hasn’t it already outpaced his initial fears?
    IMO he rarely appears to make specific predictions, interspersing his predictions of utter doom, which give him the attention he clearly craves, with more sober or even optimistic posts, just so he can say he covered all the bases.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

We're at the "endorse Biden so that people remember you exist" stage.

https://www.twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1234639585734467585

Maybe John Hickenlooper will wave.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187
    moonshine said:

Sandpit said:

Happy Super Tuesday PB!

Good news for the Asian markets, they’re heading back up this morning.

Stock markets are reflecting the psychology of its participants. Normalcy bias, as highlighted by Eadric. Inability to acknowledge truly terrible events. Smart room fallacy (assuming someone somewhere has shit under control).

I feel today like we are in summer 1914, a happy time where everything had changed but almost no one realised it.

I met my friend for coffee today, was listening to Hey Jude as I walked over. And I suddenly out of nowhere broke down in tears on the street. Had to pull myself together before she arrived. She’s not the type to panic and she is like I was until yesterday, intellectually inoculated to what might happen elsewhere by Singapore’s very efficient response and abnormally warm and humid climate.

No one seems to have absorbed what was said by the uk authorities yesterday. No one seems to realise what is about to unfold in Seattle. For some reason I get blank faces when I ask people if they’ve seen what’s happening in Iran. It’s time for Johnson to give that speech he’s been preparing for his whole life. Square up with the public, lead them through it. He might not be the leader many of you wanted but he’s the one we’ve got.

I apologise to Alistair and Eadric who I mocked when they raised the alarm early. I suppose I have never wished i had been right about something as much as this and that’s the whole problem.

In a few days I shall be relocating from Singapore back home. Good luck to all and their loved ones.
    Another snowflake, how do they all migrate here.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT - I see we've gone from bed-wetting to pant-shitting.

For Christ's sake: pull yourselves together people.

Sean will look like such a tit when the true path of this virus maps out.
    Hasn’t it already outpaced his initial fears?
    I did not realise 99% of the world had it now and bodies were piling up on the streets.
  • Options

Disappointed this thread didn't get more of an airing..

A number of so-called zero-day vulnerabilities for Wordpress plugins have been announced recently so presumably the people advertising Russian medical schools are using one of them. See for instance
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-are-actively-exploiting-zero-days-in-several-wordpress-plugins/
    Hope editors and mods are aware.
    On that note, Tomcat users should be aware of the scary new Ghostcat vulnerability. Red Hat recommends disabling AJP amongst other workarounds but patched versions should now be available.
    https://access.redhat.com/solutions/4851251
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,015
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Living in a massive jewellery market, I’ve seen people come and visit for a holiday specifically to buy jewellery. Two flights, a week in a 5* beach resort and an engagement ring in Dubai works out cheaper than simply buying the same ring in the UK.

Mrs Sandpit has a 1ct diamond engagement ring that cost me £3.5k, the same ring in the UK would likely be £7-£10k at a high street jeweller and £15-20k at a ‘designer’ jeweller like Tiffany.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Have to say Labour could learn a bit from the Democrats, they've managed to make their race quite exciting !
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mobile phones as fomites for potential pathogens in hospitals: microbiome analysis reveals hidden contaminants
    Almost all (99.2%) of hospital staff smartphones were contaminated with potential pathogens, and bacterial colony forming units (CFUs) were significantly higher on hospital phones than in the control group. Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE) were only detected on hospital mobile phones. Metabarcoding revealed a far greater abundance of Gram-negative contaminants, and much greater diversity, than culture-based methods. Bacillus spp. were significantly more abundant in the hospital group.

It does apply to Coronaviruses* too, but the well researched Coronaviruses do not survive easily outside humans/animals, and cannot replicate. Notice that the named pathogens are all bacterial, many of which survive easily in warm pocket environments.

*remember Covid-19 is just one of several Coronaviruses.
  • Options

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Here’s a theoretical question. Under the Presidential rule of succession how many people would the virus have to take out before we could have confidence in the leadership.

Also, don’t the rules of succession change dependent on whether the country is at war? (Something about defence secretary being boosted?).

Nancy Pelosi is third in line, though that would require both Trump and Pence to die before a further VP could be appointed.
    I did put £2 on Pelosi at 1000/1.

Probably a waste of money, but hey.
    File under "fun bets"......
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    This is genuinely reassuring.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/02/uk-supermarkets-braced-for-stockpiling-if-coronavirus-escalates-panic-buying

BTW has anyone suggested that we might be slightly better prepared as a country because of no deal planning done over the last 18 months... ;)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,394
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

That's why you can buy preloved jewellery at a UK auction co for about 1/4 of what it would cost you to buy in a shop. dealers keep to their markups and wont go over a certain figure. The individual buyer can have a bit of an edge. Never buy online, always go and look first
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Six layable candidates now, still including the two non-running former First Ladies.

Back prices for the six sum to 98.1%, and the four actual runners sum to 95.2%, suggesting that punters still think that there’s nearly a 5% chance of some conference shenanigans.

Punters could be right. There must be a fair chance that the winner of the Biden-Sanders duelk dies shortly before the convention. Do delegates then choose the rival? Probably not - they look around...
    There is a chance but is it a fair chance? The grim reaper will need to get his skates on with not six months left before the DNC in July.
  • Options

Off topic and lighthearted to ignore the doom momentarily:

Stormzy appears to have written a song about wor @AlastairMeeks the chorus is as so:

Ayy, in my city I'm the top boy
    And I didn't even have to be in Top Boy
    If you're asking what I done then it's a lot, boy
    You rap meeks make me wanna be a pop boy
    Mummy always told me give 'em what you got, boy
    On a mission so they wishing that I flop, boy
    But I'll never stop popping, I'm the pop boy

Enjoy.
    total bollox, these clowns get their money easy.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

There is a chance but is it a fair chance? The grim reaper will need to get his skates on with not six months left before the DNC in July.
    Wonder when we’ll start seeing Presidential candidates scaling back public appearances - or at least avoiding direct public contact...?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,490
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Gold, like diamonds and restaurant Valentine's Day "specials" always amazes me in terms of demand. Why? Why? Why?

Equities, on the other hand...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Have to say Labour could learn a bit from the Democrats, they've managed to make their race quite exciting !

If wondering who might die and replace them is quite exciting, sure.

Keith Stormer is 17 years older than the other two candidates, so who replaces him if he dies?

Nah, not even quite exciting....
  • Options
    alex_ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/02/uk-supermarkets-braced-for-stockpiling-if-coronavirus-escalates-panic-buying

BTW has anyone suggested that we might be slightly better prepared as a country because of no deal planning done over the last 18 months... ;)

Why do people stockpile toilet paper? Is its supply chain particularly vulnerable or is it just a cliche?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    malcolmg said:

Stormzy appears to have written a song about wor @AlastairMeeks the chorus is as so:

Enjoy.
    Not a man of culture I see.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Unlikely that one of these two will die before July. It is realistic that one will have a serious health problem, serious enough to make them unelectable. I think that there is a realistic chance that Biden has ever more frequent "brain fades", making it clear that he cannot take on the responsibilities of president. The really scary situation is if either of these happens well after the Convention, in October sometime.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

Wonder when we’ll start seeing Presidential candidates scaling back public appearances - or at least avoiding direct public contact...?
    "It's not that I don't want to see you. It's that I don't want you to die seeing me...."
  • Options

alex_ said:

Interesting question about the virus - will the British press rediscover a collective sense of responsibility or will they continue down the “sensationalist” route? Dare I say it we might be thankful for an impartial national broadcaster from where to source our news - let’s hope they at least rise to the occasion.

One feature of this Government appears to be a belief that there is a large pool of local labour which is readily available. First of all there was Priti Patel talking about a large number of 'under-employed' people who could take over the work of 'low-wage jobs currently done by immigrants. Now there's an army of volunteers ready to help the NHS.
    NHS staff are of course, just as likely to be affected by coronavirus as anyone else.
    Naive, irresponsible, or what?
    Thick stupid over privileged morons
  • Options
    I see that from Friday TfL is banning people from boarding the new Routemaster (aka Boris) bus by either the rear or centre doors on a whole list of routes. It seems people getting on at the back aren't always paying. Who'd have thought?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

That's why you can buy preloved jewellery at a UK auction co for about 1/4 of what it would cost you to buy in a shop. dealers keep to their markups and wont go over a certain figure. The individual buyer can have a bit of an edge. Never buy online, always go and look first
    But why would you want gold? Because everyone else will be jealous? The store of value argument surely went out of fashion with Edward I's Gascony tenths. OK a bit later but still.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Why do people stockpile toilet paper? Is its supply chain particularly vulnerable or is it just a cliche?
    I think people are better at imagining what it is like with no toilet paper compared to imagining having no food.
  • Options
    The Daily Telegraph, purveyor of Prime Ministers to a grateful nation, follows pb in wondering if there might be a touch of inconsistency and even hypocrisy in parties' different reactions to bullying allegations against Priti and Bercow.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/02/tory-mps-dismissing-claims-priti-patel-bully-wonder-john-bercow/
  • Options

alex_ said:

I can offhand think of a situation I’m more afraid of than being caught short of toilet paper. Particularly after a runny one...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Doesn't surprise me. A wedding ring is something I've bought once in my entire life, an engagement ring is something I've bought once in my entire life and I don't intend to buy either ever again. Keeping a fancy shop with good security and very low turnover of expensive stock requires some margin.

Retail companies tend to go somewhere on the spectrum of stack it high and sell it cheap, to selling not much at a high margin. Makes sense that jewellery is the extreme end of that spectrum.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,491
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Gold, like diamonds and restaurant Valentine's Day "specials" always amazes me in terms of demand. Why? Why? Why?

Equities, on the other hand...
    Not sure you've completely got this romance thing...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I see that from Friday TfL is banning people from boarding the new Routemaster (aka Boris) bus by either the rear or centre doors on a whole list of routes. It seems people getting on at the back aren't always paying. Who'd have thought?

Then they should employ more people to check tickets.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Has it proven to be accurate?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

alex_ said:

Dunno. More useful than gold, but in many circles less of a status symbol.

I am doing some stuff to my house, and contemplating futureproofing myself by installing one of those Japanese arse shower thing.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Enjoy.
    Culture , horse manure more like
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843
    IanB2 said:

Maybe it's because they are Londoners :-o .
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Still probably just as effective to put conductors on a a sample of buses.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,549

On gold (and silver), I heard recently that preppers quite liked pre-1964 (think I got the year right) dimes or nickels because they had a 90% silver content. That's classed as so-called junk silver, but small quantities mean it's more useful than a block of gold for buying ordinary items in a post-collapse society.

I'm not expecting that, of course, I just thought it quite interesting.

I would have thought one problem in a post-collapse society is that there's a lot of gold/silver around. Certainly a lot more than when the population was last as small as it would be following a collapse. I'm not convinced that it will have rarity value.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Doesn't surprise me. A wedding ring is something I've bought once in my entire life, an engagement ring is something I've bought once in my entire life and I don't intend to buy either ever again. Keeping a fancy shop with good security and very low turnover of expensive stock requires some margin.

Retail companies tend to go somewhere on the spectrum of stack it high and sell it cheap, to selling not much at a high margin. Makes sense that jewellery is the extreme end of that spectrum.
    Why did your wife need to have a gold or diamond ring? I am asking rhetorically of course because that's what people do.

But it's a triumph of marketing over logic.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Glad to see that the Coronapocolapyse hysteria continues unabated. It’s almost Diana-esque.

In other news, markets continue to rally, but I’m sure that’s no more than other selling opportunity for some. Whatever the circumstances, they are always correct.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,802
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

So... Bitcoin it is.

That's
    Isn't the amount of energy spent mining Bitcoin absurdly high and therefore very un-green?

I don't see this as a crisis longer than this year. It is the nature of pandemics to burn themselves out over that timescale.

Certainly it will get worse before it gets better in the UK and US, and a number of businesses are going to go under this year as a result, but stocks will be on their way to recovery in 12 months.

Sometimes I’m just too lazy for google.
  • Options
    matt said:

Glad to see that the Coronapocolapyse hysteria continues unabated. It’s almost Diana-esque.

In other news, markets continue to rally, but I’m sure that’s no more than other selling opportunity for some. Whatever the circumstances, they are always correct.

At some point frictional costs together with tax will put the virus sellers in negative territory.
  • Options

On gold (and silver), I heard recently that preppers quite liked pre-1964 (think I got the year right) dimes or nickels because they had a 90% silver content. That's classed as so-called junk silver, but small quantities mean it's more useful than a block of gold for buying ordinary items in a post-collapse society.

I would have thought one problem in a post-collapse society is that there's a lot of gold/silver around. Certainly a lot more than when the population was last as small as it would be following a collapse. I'm not convinced that it will have rarity value.
    How much “ownership” of gold is actually backed by physical realisable assets?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Mr. Dancer, prior to 1920, British silver coins contained high purity, 92.5% (Sterling) silver. From 1920 to 1946, British silver coins contained 50% silver. From 1947 onwards, British silver coins contained no silver.

Though the pre-'47 coins mostly got melted down during the 1979-1980 Hunt Brothers-created silver price spike.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,802
    @edmundintokyo

Thank you. That’s a superb explanation.
  • Options
    matt said:

Every month a new wave of pension contributions hits the market.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,771
    News from my former home town...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51648556

I hope Keir has read it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Why did your wife need to have a gold or diamond ring? I am asking rhetorically of course because that's what people do.

O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars
    Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
    Allow not nature more than nature needs,
    Man’s life’s as cheap as beast’s. Thou art a lady.
    If only to go warm were gorgeous,
    Why, nature needs not what thou gorgeous wear’st,
    Which scarcely keeps thee warm.

Also, diamond rings cost less than divorces.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Alistair said:
    Current cases almost 91 Thousand the tweet predicts for 8th March 6.4 Thousand
    Current Deaths 3,123 tweet predicts for 8th March 1220 deaths

If we use this list as a Timeline then we are at around 22nd March
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    IshmaelZ said:

I am doing some stuff to my house, and contemplating futureproofing myself by installing one of those Japanese arse shower thing.

I did have a peek at my stocks earlier and I've lost money on pretty much everything I chose, but offset by the immense overperformance of one winner, my Japanese arse shower manufacturer.

(Also when I sold my bit-coins I let my cat pick some stocks, his picks are doing way better than mine.)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Because it's pretty, romantic, something she will appreciate, something that lasts and something she'll wear every day for the rest of her life.

Which will be worn more - one £1000 ring or 10 £100 dresses?
  • Options
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

It was the same with bendy buses.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

So... Bitcoin it is.

That's
    Isn't the amount of energy spent mining Bitcoin absurdly high and therefore very un-green?

I don't see this as a crisis longer than this year. It is the nature of pandemics to burn themselves out over that timescale.

Certainly it will get worse before it gets better in the UK and US, and a number of businesses are going to go under this year as a result, but stocks will be on their way to recovery in 12 months.

Sometimes I’m just too lazy for google.
    Golden rule for investing: if you don't understand what you are investing in, don't do it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

malcolmg said:

Enjoy.
    I've lifted that for my twitter profile, thanks.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Because it's pretty, romantic, something she will appreciate, something that lasts and something she'll wear every day for the rest of her life.

Still, if you want the quiet life, budget for both....
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Alistair said:
    Current cases almost 91 Thousand the tweet predicts for 8th March 6.4 Thousand
    Current Deaths 3,123 tweet predicts for 8th March 1220 deaths

If we use this list as a Timeline then we are at around 22nd March
    Thanks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,211
    edited March 2020
    If Warren loses Massachusetts tonight to Sanders she could well pull out and endorse him, putting her in prime place for his VP pick
  • Options
    edited March 2020

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

It was the same with bendy buses.
    I remember visiting Florence in 1979 and being amazed that we tourists were about the only people who got on at the front with our (modestly priced) tickets. Nobody else bothered.

I read a few weeks later that the authorities in Florence had doubled the tickets prices that nobody paid. What happened? The Florentines protested with outrage and burnt down the bus depot - with all the buses in it.....

Dem I-talians, huh?

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars
    Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
    Allow not nature more than nature needs,
    Man’s life’s as cheap as beast’s. Thou art a lady.
    If only to go warm were gorgeous,
    Why, nature needs not what thou gorgeous wear’st,
    Which scarcely keeps thee warm.

Also, diamond rings cost less than divorces.
    LOL fair point. But it's not an either or situation often, I understand.
  • Options

Interesting, my guess would be the opposite (i.e. people have increased more than the amount of gold has). There is a statistic floating around somewhere which says that all the gold ever mined would fit in a swimming pool, or something.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Romantic? Getting something from H Samuel or Tessier? Zero imagination or romance.

Just think of all the amazing original things you could have bought her instead of following the crowd.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Romantic? Getting something from H Samuel or Tessier? Zero imagination or romance.

Just think of all the amazing original things you could have bought her instead of following the crowd.
    Do Asprey do gold-edged face masks?

Yet?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Once Corona Virus peters out and we haven’t all died from leaving the EU - I guess the chicken lickeners will pivot back to “Climate Justice”.

Possibly the reason the Uk public aren’t that engaged in Corona virus panic - we have “doooooom” fatigue.

In my view CoronaVirus, Leaving the EU and the Climate Emergency are all to be regretted.
    Are they all equally worthy of widespread panic ?

They are all worthy of being treated seriously. Obviously leaving the EU is a very minor issue compared to the Climate Emergency, which is something we need to take urgent action on to avoid risking the collapse of human civilisation a few decades in the future. So they really shouldn't be compared.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yet?
    Ask Deontay Wilder.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    HYUFD said:

If Warren loses Massachusetts tonight to Sanders she could well pull out and endorse him, putting her in prime place for his VP pick

If that was likely she would have pulled out before Super Tuesday, now she's gonna be hated for scuppering Sanders' chances.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

alex_ said:

There are those old enough to remember the toilet paper shortage of in the early 70s. This was around the time of the winter if discontent and suddenly toilet paper just disappeared and it rook weeks for it to return.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

This is the perfect romantic act.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If that was likely she would have pulled out before Super Tuesday, now she's gonna be hated for scuppering Sanders' chances.
    If she loses Massachusetts, her home state, Warren will drop out by the end of the week without question, probably even if she wins it but loses elsewhere
  • Options

Sandpit said:

True, but one would still expect the market to be slightly over-round. Last week the sum of the back prices of layable candidates was as low as 87% - a market that includes two non-runners!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216
    What happens with early votes? Is it possible that Buttigieg and Klobuchar pick up some delegates tonight even though they've dropped out?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

The same could be said for monogamy.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited March 2020

alex_ said:

There are those old enough to remember the toilet paper shortage of in the early 70s. This was around the time of the winter if discontent and suddenly toilet paper just disappeared and it rook weeks for it to return.
    Well, if loo roll runs out, the country always has the Daily Mail, The Sun and The Star. Perhaps, as a public service, they will use softer paper for their upcoming plague editions ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yet?
    Ask Deontay Wilder.
    Definitely a future pub quiz question there, the lamest of excuses for why he got his head smashed in.
  • Options

alex_ said:

The grimness of newspapers torn into strips...
  • Options
    Anyway I will be intermittently live blogging from the front line today. Not quite in @BJO territory but I am currently sitting at St Pancras waiting to go to La France.

People here seem unfazed.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,025
    Mr. Mark, that's fascinating, I didn't know that. I think I have the odd coin pre-dating that period.

Mr. Password, possibly, but if mints cease to function widely then widely accepted items of trade will include silver and gold, one would've thought.

I think there was a videogame in which bullets were one of the units of trade, which is an interesting take.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yet?
    Ask Deontay Wilder.
    Definitely a future pub quiz question there, the lamest of excuses for why he got his head smashed in.
    Then again his legs are TINY.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

This is the perfect romantic act.
    That was one promise to get in writing, luv....

(It probably played better as an idea with his mates down the pub.)
  • Options
    Pope tests negative for coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51716375
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    tlg86 said:

What happens with early votes? Is it possible that Buttigieg and Klobuchar pick up some delegates tonight even though they've dropped out?

I think they were both looking at having a hard time making 15% in most places even if they'd run, so I doubt either will get anywhere near the threshold to get delegates. There may be quite a few votes wasted on them, though.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, that's fascinating, I didn't know that. I think I have the odd coin pre-dating that period.

Mr. Password, possibly, but if mints cease to function widely then widely accepted items of trade will include silver and gold, one would've thought.

I think there was a videogame in which bullets were one of the units of trade, which is an interesting take.

The pb.com Charter:

inform, fascinate, entertain
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pope tests negative for coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51716375

Praise be. Cuz if he'd been a super-spreader.....
  • Options
    matt said:

This is going to be an interesting week on the markets.

Last night the Nikkei closed slightly down yet the Dow had its best day ever, yesterday, and is rising this morning in pre-trading, as is the FTSE.

The expectation is that central bankers, after their conference call this afternoon, will come out with more specifics on their "all measures necessary" comments yesterday. Whether this helps the economy is a moot point, but if there is more easy money it is likely to help the markets. And of course the US administration has particular reasons to do so.

So we have a tussle between financial action (or at least promise of action) to float the markets, and a likely worsening stream of medical news, especially from the US, that will be pushing them down.

How this will play out is anybody's guess. I'd hazard that the lift from yesterday may carry through today and perhaps longer, but when the shock that west coast America is in the same position as northern Italy hits the media, markets will surely fall again. So for traders, there should be opportunities.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    IanB2 said:

A practice that started with the 'bendy' bus from pre Boris days, I am reliabley informed by the youth from that time.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    It’s known as a ‘Full English’ so not that much of a stretch to homily call it ‘patriotic’ in a headline. Don’t wallies like James O’Brien ever just think ‘I disagree with them politically but I’m not going to make a prat of myself by forcing an angry opinion out of it’?

At least he’s not falling for and promoting fake paedo news today I suppose

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1234603452187205633?s=21
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Surely it depends upon the lady? Incidentally how I proposed was (AFAIK) original to go with the ring and something I knew she'd appreciate. Part of romance is understanding your other half surely?
  • Options

alex_ said:

The grimness of newspapers torn into strips...
    Something that could rescue the newspaper business? At least temporarily.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    eristdoof said:

alex_ said:

I think people are better at imagining what it is like with no toilet paper compared to imagining having no food.
    The hoarding of Toilet Paper is very positive. It presupposes that you will have adequate amounts of food....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

matt said:

Last night the Nikkei closed slightly down yet the Dow had its best day ever, yesterday, and is rising this morning in pre-trading, as is the FTSE.

The expectation is that central bankers, after their conference call this afternoon, will come out with more specifics on their "all measures necessary" comments yesterday. Whether this helps the economy is a moot point, but if there is more easy money it is likely to help the markets. And of course the US administration has particular reasons to do so.

So we have a tussle between financial action (or at least promise of action) to float the markets, and a likely worsening stream of medical news, especially from the US, that will be pushing them down.

How this will play out is anybody's guess. I'd hazard that the lift from yesterday may carry through today and perhaps longer, but when the shock that west coast America is in the same position as northern Italy hits the media, markets will surely fall again. So for traders, there should be opportunities.
    As I keep saying, the timing needs to be spot on and frictional costs together with tax will make playing the peaks and troughs very challenging.

For example, what would you do this minute given the possible stock price paths you have outlined in your post.

As we used to say when we were pricing derivative products for corporates: "are your views really that complicated?"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,025
    Mr. Mark, surely we need to add 'profit' to that list?

Mr. Isam, well, quite.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,041
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

It does apply to Coronaviruses* too, but the well researched Coronaviruses do not survive easily outside humans/animals, and cannot replicate. Notice that the named pathogens are all bacterial, many of which survive easily in warm pocket environments.

*remember Covid-19 is just one of several Coronaviruses.
    There's an up to date review article here, which suggests several days on glass:
    Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents
    https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

I think the point of the bacterial comparison (which was made by the virologist quoted in the Korean Times) is that the current coronavirus, from what evidence we have so far, seems to be extremely contagious, but not particularly transmissible by the airborne route.

Which perhaps gives extra force to the hand washing/not touching face/personal hygeine etc advice.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

As I keep saying, the timing needs to be spot on and frictional costs together with tax will make playing the peaks and troughs very challenging.

For example, what would you do this minute given the possible stock price paths you have outlined in your post.

As we used to say when we were pricing derivative products for corporates: "are your views really that complicated?"
    I am mostly trading on the spreads; my holdings (free of tax in ISAs and SIPP) have been defensively positioned for some time and the selling I did last week and previously was at the margin. I have some cash to invest if the time looks right.

On the spreads, last week I was unusually lucky in that my timing was very good, and the profit is in the bank.

Right now I have taken the smallest of sell positions with the Dow back to 26,650, on the basis that more bad medical news from the US seems only a matter of time. But this may go underwater if the central bankers win investors round this afternoon. If the market soars I would be looking to take a new sell position this evening or tomorrow morning.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Surely it depends upon the lady? Incidentally how I proposed was (AFAIK) original to go with the ring and something I knew she'd appreciate. Part of romance is understanding your other half surely?
    I'm sure it was the most romantic thing ever. But for someone as rigorously analytic and logical as yourself doesn't the idea of giving a wife a diamond ring "because that's what people do" seem a bit off?
This discussion has been closed.