Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With both Bernie and Biden close to their 80s their VP choices

Comments

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eadric said:

HMG is beginning to come clean with the voters.

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1234791029490036737?s=21

The phrase “off sick” is doing a lot of work there. It doesn’t specify that half of those “off sick” will likely need a hospital bed. Millions of people.

No it doesn't specify that half of those "off sick" will be throwing a sickie because yesterday some of their colleagues were off sick and they don't feel like doing extra work for the same pay while others take time off.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917
    edited March 2020

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

So... Bitcoin it is.

That's even worse. It's a negative sum game where the amount you expect to get out is the amount you put in minus the amount spent on mining, which is currently like 25 million dollars per day or something. And it's all based on the assumption that if you buy it now, some generous person will want to hold your bag in the future. But if everything's going to hell, who's the rich chump who's going to volunteer to take over your Dunning-Krugerrands off your hands when you want to trade them in for beans?
    Isn't the amount of energy spent mining Bitcoin absurdly high and therefore very un-green?

I don't see this as a crisis longer than this year. It is the nature of pandemics to burn themselves out over that timescale.

Certainly it will get worse before it gets better in the UK and US, and a number of businesses are going to go under this year as a result, but stocks will be on their way to recovery in 12 months.
    It’s so weird. I don’t even though what “mining” is or why it’s necessary.

I do know it’s completely contrived.
    Blockchain is useful because it solves the "double spend problem" without using a trusted intermediary. If I give you a five pound note, maybe in exchange for a bottle of wine, a physical piece of paper passes from me to you. I can't spend that £5 again because I no longer hold the paper note. However if I electronically send you a contract for that £5, I can make copies of that contract and send it multiple times to whoever I want. We need an intermediary that we trust to ensure the transaction happens and that you are £5 richer and I am £5 poorer. For cash transfers, the trusted intermediary is typically the banking system. Note Bitcoin is an implementation of blockchain, but blockchain can be used for many kinds of contract.

Blockchain solves the copy problem by holding a single ledger of all transactions that have ever happened. This ledger is held in the public domain. Cryptography prevents others knowing the contents of the transaction, but as the ledger cannot be changed after the fact neither can that content be changed or duplicated. Miners are the guardians of the public ledger and are rewarded with a small commission.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,052
    edited March 2020

Just to throw another factor under the grill, pigs are some of the worst kept animals in Europe. Particularly in Denmark.

They're also some of the tastiest though.
    I know and when I was vegetarian it was a bacon butty that sank me.

However, animal welfare is really important and there are massive issues surrounding the way pigs are treated especially, as I say, on the Continent. They deserve better.

p.s. if this provokes McAngry into a 'snowflake' jibe, forget it.
    Not sure who you're referring to as McAngry, I don't use that jibe so guessing not me.

To each their own. I respect people who are vegetarian because they want to be and keep it to themselves. I don't respect people who are vegetarian and expect others to be and preach to others - just as I don't respect preachy religions etc

If you care about animal welfare look for the Red Tractor mark on your meat. If its got the Red Tractor you know it has good animal welfare and that will include pork.
    I'm Veggie and I never expect others to be vegetarian. My partner is non-veggie and this causes no problems at all. Only one time was it difficult for me, when she had a seafood pizza which had a whole baby octopus (about an inch or so) on it, I had to look away as she bit into that part of the pizza. I did look away, but did not make a fuss about it.

Conversely, what I find annoying is peole who apologise for eating meat next to me. Don't apoplogise, it's your decision.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910

Mr. Observer, bacon butties are delightful (with tomato sauce, of course).

I don't really have breakfast, beyond a chocolate bar. I was amused to discover, upon reading Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England, that my earlier than usual lunchtime (11am) is in keeping with medieval customs.

MD that is because they started work about 3am
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    I hope remainers will now apologise for disgraceful scaremongering about Brexit which has muddied the waters about panics now that a real crisis is about to hit.

(C) Mr Meeks.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2020

isam said:

isam said:

I regularly have a full English breakfast. I do not expect that to make the newspapers. Is the suggestion that the UK negotiating team is going to have such furred arteries that they are going to collapse in the face of the elite Brussels team that has prepared with zero fat yoghurt sprinkled with flax seeds and double espressos?

I don’t think I have ever had one. But it’s fair enough to describe a dish named after our country as ‘patriotic’ for an easy headline. Why would people get bothered by it?
    What irks people (and "irk" is, I think, the mot juste) is the completely brainless pandering to all of the typical Telegraph readers' worst instincts. It's the "Two World Wars and One World Cup" school of Brexit.

Of course, it's best ignored, like most of the Telegraph's output.
    It’s probably just a joke, to make their readers smile while hoping some lefties get wound up by it

Why read a paper if you’re closed minded enough to know before you do so it’s going to make you angry? You’re just going to repeat the same prejudices on a daily basis and end up like @vonPyotr on Twitter! Better to accept that you disagree, and view it as a window into a worldview you don’t share
    Someone you approve of disagrees with you!

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/509469-every-day-the-new-york-times-carries-a-motto-in
    That is Peter Hitchens’ brother Christopher with whom he famously disagreed with!!

But I can imagine PH might agree with him on that point. It’s fair enough to do as CH says I think, look at things that annoy you as a reality check, getting outraged publicly and trying to unpick a light hearted headline in the way James O’Brien did today just makes you look like Mr Angry

As for increasing his lifespan by doing so, unfortunately for Christopher that wasn’t the case.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,574
    eadric said:

eadric said:

The phrase “off sick” is doing a lot of work there. It doesn’t specify that half of those “off sick” will likely need a hospital bed. Millions of people.

No it doesn't specify that half of those "off sick" will be throwing a sickie because yesterday some of their colleagues were off sick and they don't feel like doing extra work for the same pay while others take time off.
    Read the comments underneath. Amazing. People just don’t believe it, because they don’t want to believe it. They think this is absurd hyperbole (as do some on here)

This is probably the greatest expression of Normalcy Bias in history. The theory says that 70% of people exhibit the Bias in some form, generally the less intelligent, who think more slowly.

70% looks about right. .
    I wonde if they will be the same 70% that get the disease.....
    FF43 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

So... Bitcoin it is.

That's even worse. It's a negative sum game where the amount you expect to get out is the amount you put in minus the amount spent on mining, which is currently like 25 million dollars per day or something. And it's all based on the assumption that if you buy it now, some generous person will want to hold your bag in the future. But if everything's going to hell, who's the rich chump who's going to volunteer to take over your Dunning-Krugerrands off your hands when you want to trade them in for beans?
    Isn't the amount of energy spent mining Bitcoin absurdly high and therefore very un-green?

I don't see this as a crisis longer than this year. It is the nature of pandemics to burn themselves out over that timescale.

Certainly it will get worse before it gets better in the UK and US, and a number of businesses are going to go under this year as a result, but stocks will be on their way to recovery in 12 months.
    It’s so weird. I don’t even though what “mining” is or why it’s necessary.

I do know it’s completely contrived.
    Blockchain is useful because it solves the "double spend problem" without using a trusted intermediary. If I give you a five pound note, maybe in exchange for a bottle of wine, a physical piece of paper passes from me to you. I can't spend that £5 again because I no longer hold the paper note. However if I electronically send you a contract for that £5, I can make copies of that contract and send it multiple times to whoever I want. We need an intermediary that we trust to ensure the transaction happens and that you are £5 richer and I am £5 poorer. For cash transfers, the trusted intermediary is typically the banking system. Note Bitcoin is an implementation of blockchain, but blockchain can be used for many kinds of contract.

Blockchain solves the copy problem by holding a single ledger of all transactions that have ever happened and places this ledger into the public domain. Cryptography prevents other knowing the contents of the transaction, but all parties can be confident that content can't be changed after the fact. Miners are the guardians of that public ledger and are rewarded with a small commission.
    Indeed and theoretically it works but in practice it doesn't. Already "mining" consumes more electricity than many countries consume and that's despite the technology isn't even widely used in practice.

Imagine if we started to in practice use Bitcoin for our day to day purchases, that would dwarf the amount of transactions that are currently undertaken and thus exponentially increase the amount of mining required. The technology just can't realistically handle that.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,866
    TGOHF666 said:

I hope remainers will now apologise for disgraceful scaremongering about Brexit which has muddied the waters about panics now that a real crisis is about to hit.

(C) Mr Meeks.

You mean that even though Brexit is a bad thing and could get worse if we get an 'Australian' No Deal at the end of the year, we should apologise because it's not as bad as a Pandemic?
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Read the comments underneath. Amazing. People just don’t believe it, because they don’t want to believe it. They think this is absurd hyperbole (as do some on here)

This is probably the greatest expression of Normalcy Bias in history. The theory says that 70% of people exhibit the Bias in some form, generally the less intelligent, who think more slowly.

70% looks about right. .
    You posting from Eurostar at next table to Topping
    eadric said:

If a fifth of the people are off sick with Covid-19, then there will be several millions more who are not sick but cannot work, because of closed offices, insufficient infrastructure (eg skeleton train service), drop-off in temporary employment and so on.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .
    As someone in the high risk category I accept the risk but your general hyperbole does not assist in making sensible and rational decisions
    eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .
    The comments I see are right. Key word there is "may" and theory shows that overreacting is more common than normalcy bias and it is the less intelligent who think more slowly who overreact. That's true here.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    edited March 2020

Indeed and theoretically it works but in practice it doesn't. Already "mining" consumes more electricity than many countries consume and that's despite the technology isn't even widely used in practice.

Imagine if we started to in practice use Bitcoin for our day to day purchases, that would dwarf the amount of transactions that are currently undertaken and thus exponentially increase the amount of mining required. The technology just can't realistically handle that.

It is a Ponzi scheme and like all Ponzi schemes it will eventually collapse

It is a Ponzi scheme and like all Ponzi schemes it will eventually collapse
    100% agreed.
    TGOHF666 said:

Coronageddon is perfect for Brexiteers. Any hit to the economy is due to "The Virus" and all the positives are "a result of Brexit despite The Virus"
  • eristdoof said:

TGOHF666 said:

Coronageddon is perfect for Brexiteers. Any hit to the economy is due to "The Virus" and all the positives are "a result of Brexit despite The Virus"
    I think there is a lot of truth in that
    eristdoof said:

TGOHF666 said:

A rather dark comment but indeed its worth noting a recession was due and expected any time soon already. If there is a recession now it will be a worldwide "it began in China" virus recession and then a post-virus rebound to start growing again will also be post-Brexit growth. Which is why this virus won't result in an extension of transition.

Glad to see the Chief Medial Office explaining calmly and rationally why closing down things doesn't make sense now and that while it may happen in the future it would come with a huge social cost now with no medical advantage.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

Actually the very first thing you need for a proper English breakfast is good-quality bacon, now rarely found in the UK. Consumers have been conned in thinking that something fraudulently called 'bacon' (made from pigs bred to be tasteless and with meat injected with brine) is the real thing. Hot tip: buy Italian pancetta instead, it's still real bacon.

Get a garlic paste and lightly rub the pancetta on one side. Take a chicken breast and slice in half and roll up inside the garlic face of the pancetta.

Place in a medium-hot pan with a little rapeseed oil and turn until the pancetta is cooked brown (preferably crispy at the edges) and serve with breads / veg / potatoes (whichever works for you)
    Sounds good! Maybe not for breakfast, though!
    Indeed. :D

I see the Prophets of Doom are back so I shall leave you all to it for a while. Enjoy the apocalypse!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    eadric said:

Actually those most likely to need a hospital bed will be the retired, most of those in work will not need to be hospitalised and will be off work for about the same period as normal flu
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    malcolmg said:

I don't really have breakfast, beyond a chocolate bar. I was amused to discover, upon reading Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England, that my earlier than usual lunchtime (11am) is in keeping with medieval customs.

What time is the battle?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,532

That's not really how it works - the mining isn't directly connected to the number of transactions, so although bit-coin currently only does a fairly ludicrous 3-5 transactions per second, in theory you could do millions with the same amount of mining. It's mainly related to the price of the bit-coin, which would be much lower if you valued it as a useful payment system rather than a ponzi scheme for people who believe what they read on ZeroHedge.

(The reason the bit-coin network currently only handles 3-5 transactions per second is a little bit complicated, but the main factor is that it's run by lunatics.)

That said, proof-of-work has all kinds of problems, there are better ways to do the same thing, and the government should levy a tax on holding proof-of-work-based cybercoins to help pay for the damage they're doing.
  • My impression from this press conference is that the government and their advisors do seem to be on top of this at this time

The planning must have been going on for some weeks behind the scenes
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,556

eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .
    The comments I see are right. Key word there is "may" and theory shows that overreacting is more common than normalcy bias and it is the less intelligent who think more slowly who overreact. That's true here.
    On the subject of overreacting, I think there's a big buy opportunity for Sanders now. Biden's chances are certainly better today than they were last Friday but I wouldn't make him favourite for the nomination for several reasons.

1. The Steyer / Buttigieg / Klobuchar withdrawals have come late. Some people will not notice (we're not all political nerds), others will have already cast their ballots, still others will vote for them anyway (0.6% voted for withdrawn candidates in the S Carolina primary - despite all of them having withdrawn much earlier and having much lower support to begin with).

2. Biden won't get a clean pick-up of those votes from [1] that do transfer to the candidates still in.

3. Warren will probably withdraw soon, which will, in net terms, favour Sanders.

4. Biden has shown more energy this last week than he did earlier but is still not a good campaigner and has question marks over his own health and mental agility.
    This morning's comments are a must read for virtual miners, who are thinking of proposing on Friday Evening, followed by a romantic breakfast for two on Saturday, but are worried that they might be low on toilet roll.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    edited March 2020

You mean that even though Brexit is a bad thing and could get worse if we get an 'Australian' No Deal at the end of the year, we should apologise because it's not as bad as a Pandemic?

What I find interesting is that, back in the days of "Project Fear" about Brexit, a common trick of Leavers was to satirize Remainer sentiment as being tantamount to a forecast that "as soon as we leave the EU, the sky will fall in, wild beasts will roam, and a plague to end all plagues will be visited upon this foolish and bedeviled nation.

And they would chuckle.

Foss said:

tlg86 said:

@HYUFD - The bigger story there is that the local elections may be delayed.

The Beeb have a story about Labour expecting a thrashing at the locals. They may be glad of a delay and a chance for a change of narrative.
    Expectation management?
    Yes, it is based on polling under Corbyn so if Starmer becomes leader in April and gets a poll bounce Labour can say how fantastic its local election results were compared to expectations
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    edited March 2020

My impression from this press conference is that the government and their advisors do seem to be on top of this at this time

It's not dissimilar to previous possible pandemics, such as swine flu. Those plans only, I suspect, needed tweaking.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261

My impression from this press conference is that the government and their advisors do seem to be on top of this at this time

So far the Govt is having a good Plague season.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .
    As someone in the high risk category I accept the risk but your general hyperbole does not assist in making sensible and rational decisions
    I’ve read tons on this. I have loved ones in very high risk categories who will likely die if they get it. This is just one reason I’ve been taking this so seriously for so long, at no point have I hyperbolised. As you can see from what HMG is saying now.

So here’s the advice for someone like you: it’s time to prepare. Stay home. Do not socialise. Order in 3 weeks’ worth of non perishable food, bottled water, vital and other meds, loo paper, soap, bleach, detergent etc. Maybe get a mask but make sure you use it properly. Wash your hands constantly and thoroughly. Buy sanitizer if you still can.

You’ll only need to use these supplies if and when there is a lockdown. China shows that after a hiatus some supplies return quite soon.

If you do all this, you should be fine.
    With the greatest respect I do not need advise from you at all

You are not medically qualified and I have enough experience in health, life and travel to know the precautions that can be sensibly applied to our circumstances

My anecdotal impression is that the UK is better placed than most other countries, when facing an epidemic, due to it's centralised health care system and a high standard of co-ordinated medical research.

If the UK deals with this much better than the US, it could well help the eventual Democrat candidate in WH2020.

On the subject of overreacting, I think there's a big buy opportunity for Sanders now. Biden's chances are certainly better today than they were last Friday but I wouldn't make him favourite for the nomination for several reasons.

1. The Steyer / Buttigieg / Klobuchar withdrawals have come late. Some people will not notice (we're not all political nerds), others will have already cast their ballots, still others will vote for them anyway (0.6% voted for withdrawn candidates in the S Carolina primary - despite all of them having withdrawn much earlier and having much lower support to begin with).

2. Biden won't get a clean pick-up of those votes from [1] that do transfer to the candidates still in.

3. Warren will probably withdraw soon, which will, in net terms, favour Sanders.

4. Biden has shown more energy this last week than he did earlier but is still not a good campaigner and has question marks over his own health and mental agility.

I agree. My hunch is that Biden gets it in the end but I think Sanders will be an odds on fav again tomorrow.
    eristdoof said:

eadric said:

If a fifth of the people are off sick with Covid-19, then there will be several millions more who are not sick but cannot work, because of closed offices, insufficient infrastructure (eg skeleton train service), drop-off in temporary employment and so on.
    No problem the 8 million idlers that Priti told us about can easily cover that.
    What is the opposite of Normalcy Bias?

It's not dissimilar to previous possible pandemics, such as swine flu. Those plans only, I suspect, needed tweaking.
    Other countries had these same outbreaks too.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. G, often, medieval people rose with the sun.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Chameleon said:

So far the Govt is having a good Plague season.
    And it is probably doing wonders for earning civil service respect from ministers.

G, they have been planning for a Pandemic for as long back as I can remember, it gets wheeled out every so often that one is on the way.
    edited March 2020
    kinabalu said:

Overreacting, eadric
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

What time is the battle?
    Great life he has, out of his scratcher at 11am and has a bar of chocolate.
  • eristdoof said:

My anecdotal impression is that the UK is better placed than most other countries, when facing an epidemic, due to it's centralised health care system and a high standard of co-ordinated medical research.

If the UK deals with this much better than the US, it could well help the eventual Democrat candidate in WH2020.
    The US and Trump in particular are a disgrace on this issue.

Just hope the democrats can find someone sane who can send Trump packing

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .
    I’ve read tons on this. I have loved ones in very high risk categories who will likely die if they get it. This is just one reason I’ve been taking this so seriously for so long, at no point have I hyperbolised. As you can see from what HMG is saying now.

So here’s the advice for someone like you: it’s time to prepare. Stay home. Do not socialise. Order in 3 weeks’ worth of non perishable food, bottled water, vital and other meds, loo paper, soap, bleach, detergent etc. Maybe get a mask but make sure you use it properly. Wash your hands constantly and thoroughly. Buy sanitizer if you still can.

You’ll only need to use these supplies if and when there is a lockdown. China shows that after a hiatus some supplies return quite soon.

You are not medically qualified and I have enough experience in health, life and travel to know the precautions that can be sensibly applied to our circumstances
    Surely Mr G you have been on this forum long enough to know that kind-hearted or sympathetic people proffer advice in these circumstances, simply because they are that.
    I get such advice and try to accept it in the spirit in which I'm sure it was intended.
  • kinabalu said:

Ponceyboots Gaylordism.

Flat white is an Anglosphere invention ;)

That's a problem only if it's specifically American - since I'm meant to be boycotting US products (within reason) until Trump has gone.
    eristdoof said:

I don't see how Boris having a good coranivurus outbreak will help Democrats, he is closer to Trump if anything.

It may well be the US copies UK quarantine and testing but not much more
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Actually those most likely to need a hospital bed will be the retired, most of those in work will not need to be hospitalised and will be off work for about the same period as normal flu
    "Normal" Flu as opposed to a cold-that-I-will-call-flu-because-a-cold-sounds-a-bit-whimpish ususally knocks you off work for two weeks and can be four weeks if you get a relapse.
    kinabalu said:

Raving lunatic doom merchant
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .

Surely Mr G you have been on this forum long enough to know that kind-hearted or sympathetic people proffer advice in these circumstances, simply because they are that.
    I get such advice and try to accept it in the spirit in which I'm sure it was intended.
    Maybe but I do not appreciate being treated as if I am not able to assess the position for myself

Mr. G, often, medieval people rose with the sun.

They had no watches so just had to guess.
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .

Actually the governments saying the complete opposite of your fearcasting and are saying what we've been saying.

The government are basically saying "wash your hands, be sensible, keep calm and carry on, let science be the best guide". As we have been saying, not you.

The government are categorically NOT saying "Stay home. Do not socialise. Panic buy." etc - they are saying the opposite.
  • malcolmg said:

G, they have been planning for a Pandemic for as long back as I can remember, it gets wheeled out every so often that one is on the way.
    Indeed but this press conference has been very professional and re-assuring

kinabalu said:

Overreacting, eadric
    Note that apart from "stay home", which may be expensive depending on your job, these measures are extremely cheap. If they're an overreaction, they're a very low-cost overreaction.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .
    I have loved ones in very high risk categories who will likely die if they get it.
    Given the highest reported mortality rate among the 80+ is 15%, aren't they very much more likely (85%) to survive?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    I genuinely don't know who will be the odds on favourite tommorow, my gut actually says Biden now but it's a weak preference to Sanders.

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited March 2020
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

That made me chuckle
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    He’s trying his best, but the use of ‘mate’ gives the game away

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1234760201032609793?s=21

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

That made me chuckle
    +1
    Mr. G, you don't need a watch to know the sun's rising :p
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited March 2020

The A&E doctor on R5 who was giving it large about government not doing any planning and where was Boris, why only COBRA now, was corrected by expert yesterday that in fact COBRA had been meeting since January and that yesterday was all about signing off the plan that had been many weeks in the making.

I presume the government haven't been making a massive thing of all these meeting as they don't want to panic the public too early.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

70% looks about right. .
    I have loved ones in very high risk categories who will likely die if they get it.
    Given the highest reported mortality rate among the 80+ is 15%, aren't they very much more likely (85%) to survive?
    My wife hopes so !!!!!
    Pulpstar said:

I genuinely don't know who will be the odds on favourite tommorow, my gut actually says Biden now but it's a weak preference to Sanders.

Depends on Texas?

Actually the governments saying the complete opposite of your fearcasting and are saying what we've been saying.

The government are basically saying "wash your hands, be sensible, keep calm and carry on, let science be the best guide". As we have been saying, not you.

The government are categorically NOT saying "Stay home. Do not socialise. Panic buy." etc - they are saying the opposite.

Yours is saying the opposite, but the UK is a few weeks behind Japan. Mine is on a moderate version of "Stay home. Do not socialize".

Governments hardly ever say "panic buy" because it doesn't work if everybody does it, but in most places having a couple of weeks worth of supplies is considered good practice against a wide variety of threats and disruptions.
    edited March 2020
    Government spokesmen: "Do not stay at home, do not stop socialising we are not saying that, though we may in the future. It is a bad idea to say that prematurely as it won't serve any scientific purpose now and if you say it too early then later on if and when it becomes necessary to say that people will have stopped listening to that message so that makes the epidemic worse."

Raving lunatic doom merchants (TM malcolmg): "Listen the government. Stay at home. Don't socialise."
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541

The A&E doctor on R5 who was giving it large about government not doing any planning and where was Boris, why only COBRA now, was corrected by expert yesterday that in fact COBRA had been meeting since January and that yesterday was all about signing off the plan that had been many weeks in the making.
    Bloody experts!
    F1: interesting to note Perez has fallen from 151 to win in Australia (Ladbrokes) to just 101.

Suggests a little bit of money going his way.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525

First time for everything, I agree with Galsworthy.
    Actually, I think a period of quiet reflection with eyes closed before a meeting is likely to result in a more focused, harmonious, and therefore more successful meeting. So they are trying science.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,582
    Oh dear. My HR department has just sent an email reminding everyone to keep their death nominees on the company pension up to date.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,656

I don't think I've ever seen any worthwhile advice on here. It's all wildly contradictory betting tips and give yourself bowel cancer by eating pigs.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541

Oh dear. My HR department has just sent an email reminding everyone to keep their death nominees on the company pension up to date.

Sensible advice at any time, surely?

Government spokesmen: "Do not stay at home, do not stop socialising we are not saying that, though we may in the future. It is a bad idea to say that prematurely as it won't serve any scientific purpose now and if you say it too early then later on if and when it becomes necessary to say that people will have stopped listening to that message so that makes the epidemic worse."

Raving lunatic doom merchants (TM malcolmg): "Listen the government. Stay at home. Don't socialise."

There may.... note the word may.... be a difference in the appropriate advice for elderly people with pre-existing respiratory conditions.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525

Nigelb said:

English mustard. Not Dijon poopoo or American ooze. Proper Colmans's full-punch English.

No English breakfast is feasible without it.

:D

Actually Anglo/Dutch mustard, these days.
    The condiment that Tesco calls "English mustard" in England it labels as "Mustard" in Scotland. In a cafe at a major Scottish tourist attraction I've also seen Twining's "English Breakfast" Tea (a blend of Assam, Ceylon and Kenyan) described on a blackboard as "Breakfast" tea. "Not having that Westminster muck here! Oh wait, if we can call it by a different name and sell it..."
    Yes, it's not great. RSPB is called SSPB up here. God forbid any English birds be protected using Scottish donations.

Yours is saying the opposite, but the UK is a few weeks behind Japan. Mine is on a moderate version of "Stay home. Do not socialize".

Governments hardly ever say "panic buy" because it doesn't work if everybody does it, but in most places having a couple of weeks worth of supplies is considered good practice against a wide variety of threats and disruptions.
    Indeed it is. I always have a couple of weeks worth of supplies in the pantry of long-life stuff precisely because you never know when you might need it, because its good to have a variety of food in and because you buy some things and then don't fancy it so the tin sits in your cupboard.

I'm not going to panic buy. If I need to survive on those tins that have been sat in the cupboard for a while then that's what we'll do.
    edited March 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

I don't think I've ever seen any worthwhile advice on here. It's all wildly contradictory betting tips and give yourself bowel cancer by eating pigs.
    As with all advice, one should filter it according to pre-existing prejudices.

Ed. predictive text strikes again.
    eadric said:

No. The government’s advice to people in high risk groups is not “keep calm and carry on”

They are ALREADY saying to these people, eg the elderly, avoid social contact, do not use public transport, etc.

“People aged over 60 are being advised to avoid crowded areas and public transport to prevent infection.“

https://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/news/government-coronavirus-battle-plan-urges-over-60s-to-avoid-crowds/

Given that some on this site are over 80, they should take that seriously.

You’d have them going to parties and dying like flies.

No I'd have at-risk groups taking extra precautions but then I always would. At risk groups should know they're at risk and take extra precautions at all times.

You've been spouting bullshit like shutting down sporting events, cancelling the Premier League season etc - that's the nonsense I'm mocking.
    kinabalu said:

That's a problem only if it's specifically American - since I'm meant to be boycotting US products (within reason) until Trump has gone.
    You're fine. Kiwi oddly enough.
    Dura_Ace said:

You know the three pieces of time-honoured advice that has survived down the ages.

Don't mess with soldiers' mail or food; don't march on Moscow; don't kick the volleyball.
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

You know the three pieces of time-honoured advice that has survived down the ages.

Don't mess with soldiers' mail or food; don't march on Moscow; don't kick the volleyball.
    Or at my gym...don't drop the weights.

You've been spouting bullshit like shutting down sporting events, cancelling the Premier League season etc - that's the nonsense I'm mocking.

I don't exactly have a dog in this fight (ok, maybe a little bit) but since it's a betting site and everyone's been having these arguments for a couple of weeks, maybe we could get some actionable bets going?

One might be: Within the next 2 months, will the government end up following the Japanese example and recommending that event organizers consider cancelling events, resulting in sporting events being cancelled or held without spectators?
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

No
    Readdon’t believe it, because they don’t want to believe it. They think this is absurd hyperbole (as do some on here)

No. The government’s advice to people in high risk groups is not “keep calm and carry on”

They are ALREADY saying to these people, eg the elderly, avoid social contact, do not use public transport, etc.

“People aged over 60 are being advised to avoid crowded areas and public transport to prevent infection.“

https://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/news/government-coronavirus-battle-plan-urges-over-60s-to-avoid-crowds/

You do need to understand the vast majority of people over 80 are fully aware of sensible precautions in health crisis, having lived through other previous scares

Indeed, they probably have a better idea than you on how to keep themselves safe

And dying like flies, really.

I don't exactly have a dog in this fight (ok, maybe a little bit) but since it's a betting site and everyone's been having these arguments for a couple of weeks, maybe we could get some actionable bets going?

One might be: Within the next 2 months, will the government end up following the Japanese example and recommending that event organizers consider cancelling events, resulting in sporting events being cancelled or held without spectators?
    I think it should and will depend upon the science.

I'd expect something that attracts worldwide visitors like the London Marathon might be shut before domestic events like the Premier League.
    eadric said:

I’m tempted, but is it maybe distasteful to bet on a lethal plague?

Markets provide information, in times of uncertainty creating them is a public service.

You're fine. Kiwi oddly enough.

Relief. I would not have liked to have had to stop ordering it. It's USPs are size, flavour and temperature. Not too big, not too small. Not too strong, not too weak. Not too hot, not too cold.

Every other commercial coffee configuration in my experience is at least one of the above. It's either too big or too small or too strong or too weak or too hot or too cold. Very often I detect multiple faults - most commonly too hot AND too weak.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,352

There are probably better ways of saying it but it does need to be checked once in a while.

edited March 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

No I'd have at-risk groups taking extra precautions but then I always would. At risk groups should know they're at risk and take extra precautions at all times.

You literally just gave elderly people entirely the wrong advice: keep calm and carry on, go out as normal.

I told an older person on here to avoid social contact. You said this was fearmongering and the government was telling us all to lead totally normal lives.

I then proved to you that the government was saying the exact opposite, to elderly people.

Now you’re talking about sports for some reason. Whatever.
    Actually the governments advice even to the elderly is to keep calm and carry on but to take sensible precautions where possible.

Which is what I was saying.

The government is NOT saying to avoid social contact. The elderly avoiding having social contact with their loved ones like children, grandchildren or their friends etc is NOT the advice they're giving. They're saying at this stage to avoid crowds.

Crowds != social contact.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,135
    edited March 2020
    kinabalu said:

The flat white is an Australian invention. But if you want something similar but European then ask for a Cortado.

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Or at my gym...don't drop the weights.
    Never comb your hair with a hat on.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,019
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

I don't see how Boris having a good coranivurus outbreak will help Democrats, he is closer to Trump if anything.

It may well be the US copies UK quarantine and testing but not much more
    While I agree with you that Johnson is like Trump, I really doubt anyone arguing for reform of the US health system in the direction of the NHS is going to claim that the British system is better thanks to Johnson or his Trump-like qualities.

I suspect that if things are a lot worse here in Germany than in the UK, people will be asking for more national coordination (which is really needed, the response so far has been disappointing). And Merkel's only contribution so far has been getting her offered handshake refused by the interior minister...
    Mr. Tokyo, play fair. It's a month or two since I tipped Hamilton to get under 21 points finishes at 1.75.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    NYT:

Close to a Million in U.S. Could Be Tested for Coronavirus This Week

You do need to understand the vast majority of people over 80 are fully aware of sensible precautions in health crisis, having lived through other previous scares

Indeed, they probably have a better idea than you on how to keep themselves safe

From what I gather the main thing is to self-immolate and only then if you get symptoms.

NYT:

Typical Americans. Join in late then go over the top.
    eadric said:

kinabalu said:

From what I gather the main thing is to self-immolate and only then if you get symptoms.
    Self immolate is a bit drastic.
    Wow we've found your line in the sand.

Going off now, bye.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038

eadric said:

It is what is happening in various other countries - France has banned all gatherings over 5000 people.
    edited March 2020
    MaxPB said:

The flat white is an Australian invention. But if you want something similar but European then ask for a Cortado.

Will try that. I would prefer something European if possible. While "Australian style" is much better than anything to do with the US it does have a particularly bad rep in my neck of the woods (for obvious reasons).

NYT:

How have they managed to ramp up their testing capacity so quickly?
This discussion has been closed.