Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After Klobuchar joins Buttieg in pulling out we’ve almost got

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,777
    Nigelb said:

First person account of an Italian Covid sufferer.
    59 year old with a history of pneumonia, she pulled through with what sounds like minimal treatment:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/i-had-the-coronavirus-worst-part-stigma.html
    ... They took some X-rays, and they confirmed that I had pneumonia. There were no rooms in isolation, though, so they put me on a stretcher in an unused office that lacked even a bathroom. Every two hours they would come to check my vitals. They gave me the swab, and the results came back a day later: positive for COVID-19.

When they told me about it, I wasn’t afraid for myself. I had figured I had it, and I was actually doing better—it was like having a bad flu. I was afraid for everyone else. I thought back to whom I had seen, whom I had come in contact with, and I hoped with all of myself that no one had contracted the virus. I had to call my friends, family, and co-workers and explain the whole story.

They transferred me to the infectious diseases department at a bigger hospital in Bergamo. There, they were more prepared to handle this emergency. I was in isolation; no one could visit me. Since there is no cure, they could only give me Tylenol...

Interesting chart comparing mortality for seasonal flu, Spanish Flu of 1918 and COVID19.

• ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    matt said:

So the moderates are left with a candidate who has been round this loop repeatedly and confuses everyone including himself. It’s Bidenception.

Feel free to have a crack at setting out what Biden would do as President. Other than nap and suck Werthers Originals
    A president offering to do nothing but nap and suck Werthers is probably quite an attractive prospect right now.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551

tyson said:

I've put a couple of quid on Biden for Maine at 6.

I just put a few quid on Warren...it just seems like she's the only adult in the room
    Warren as POTUS is 110 at moment. I've put a pint on that.

Don't ask me how we get from here to there :smile:
    1) Bernie has another heart attack
    2) Profit
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,410
    eadric said:

A saddening video from Iran (I won't link, it's grim) shows dozens of bodies in ONE hospital in Qom.

Just one hospital.

I reckon there must be hundreds of dead in Iran, perhaps thousands.

The virus is showing up which countries have really poor health systems. By contrast Germany has had 160 cases and no deaths.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

The surprise of the night could be Warren beating Bloomberg...

Go Lizzie Go.
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

No, but sometimes it seems like american politics exists to make ours (mostly) look better.

Our politics is better. It's not just the leaders and parties, which I think are better, it's things like the neutrality of government departments, independent judiciary, a press that is on the whole more willing to challenge the executive, and our parties seem to be broader. I think we also do a lot better with things like elections, seat boundaries, and voter registration.

We're not perfect, but I really can't think of any aspect of US politics that we should copy.
    The First Amendment
    Actually, the whole Constitution is pretty impressive.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
    Pulpstar said:

The surprise of the night could be Warren beating Bloomberg...

If Warren does well enough that she isn't compelled to get out of the race tomorrow, then Biden could struggle to keep his momentum.
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

A saddening video from Iran (I won't link, it's grim) shows dozens of bodies in ONE hospital in Qom.

Just one hospital.

The virus is showing up which countries have really poor health systems. By contrast Germany has had 160 cases and no deaths.
    Early days, they started after Italy.
    kle4 said:

Endorsing Biden. Bugger me.

I could find more compelling candidates in my local care home.

But can you find more compelling ones in the Democratic Primaries?
    HYUFD said:
    What a bizarre thing to say. I know why, and he's trying to get Bernie fans riled up, but it's still bizarre.
    It works: Bernie fans are easily riled. Trump mentioned Bernie Sanders all the time in 2016, he knows what he's doing.
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    eadric said:

We must be close to the moment when the public wakes up.

Tomorrow? Wednesday?

What will it take? Sturgeon today talked of 50-80% infected, and 250,000 SCOTS in hospital. And yet it hasn't impacted.

How and when does the news break through the Normalcy Bias?

Perhaps when they start digging graves and building tented hospitals, which must happen soon. What you can see is so much more intense.

When domestic football matches get cancelled.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    Chameleon said:

matt said:

So the moderates are left with a candidate who has been round this loop repeatedly and confuses everyone including himself. It’s Bidenception.

Feel free to have a crack at setting out what Biden would do as President. Other than nap and suck Werthers Originals
    A president offering to do nothing but nap and suck Werthers is probably quite an attractive prospect right now.
    But didn't sucking cause a bit of a problem for a previous Democrat in the White House?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    matt said:

NOT BE TRUMP!!

Restoration of the American Republic before it is too late.

Biden has repeatedly focused on Trump, what's wrong with Trump, the threat to democracy etc etc. He's stayed above to a degree the arguments about wealth tax, i have a plan for that health plan etc.

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

No, but sometimes it seems like american politics exists to make ours (mostly) look better.

Our politics is better. It's not just the leaders and parties, which I think are better, it's things like the neutrality of government departments, independent judiciary, a press that is on the whole more willing to challenge the executive, and our parties seem to be broader. I think we also do a lot better with things like elections, seat boundaries, and voter registration.

We're not perfect, but I really can't think of any aspect of US politics that we should copy.
    The First Amendment
    All the compromises to accommodate slavery are pretty rank.

tyson said:

I just put a few quid on Warren...it just seems like she's the only adult in the room

2) Profit
    0) Bernie selects Warren as running mate.
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

The First Amendment
    In 1783 we were pretty active in that hypocrisy too.
    Chameleon said:

matt said:

THIS. 1000x times this.

Even if he sleeps through the entire next four years whilst Martians invade, he'd still cause less damage.
    My Iowa Caucus Betfair exchange bets have settled!
    eadric said:

Just one hospital.

Sadly, you want/accept a theocracy, you get a theocracy.

• CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

The First Amendment
    Yes it is. But that’s one bit I’d really like to have over here.
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

The First Amendment
    In 1783 we were pretty active in that hypocrisy too.
    We had an unwritten hypocrisy.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    There’s a spectacularly ignorant American official being interviewed on Newsnight right now.
    eadric said:

Christ, a Republican on Newsnight has just used the line "but thousands of people are dying of normal flu", followed by "we are not China, we are America!" - so that will magically protect them.

America is f*cked.

Well the thousands dying of flu are gonna find there is a queue at the local undertakers.
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

There’s a spectacularly ignorant American official being interviewed on Newsnight right now.

She looks scared. Sees it as an anti Trump virus.

This is odd too.

https://twitter.com/howroute/status/1234606891243909120?s=19
    Alistair said:

My Iowa Caucus Betfair exchange bets have settled!

I know. I was wondering whether I would collect my state pension before they paid up on Iowa.
  • Cyclefree said:

I'm watching Pence on CNN, and the officials appear to be sh*tting it.

'There's no travel restrictions, oh except for (lists countries)'
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

Grimly funny...

I always wonder if they REALLY believe in this American exceptionalism BS, or do they feel oblidged to say such nonsense.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

59 year old with a history of pneumonia, she pulled through with what sounds like minimal treatment:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/i-had-the-coronavirus-worst-part-stigma.html
    ... They took some X-rays, and they confirmed that I had pneumonia. There were no rooms in isolation, though, so they put me on a stretcher in an unused office that lacked even a bathroom. Every two hours they would come to check my vitals. They gave me the swab, and the results came back a day later: positive for COVID-19.

When they told me about it, I wasn’t afraid for myself. I had figured I had it, and I was actually doing better—it was like having a bad flu. I was afraid for everyone else. I thought back to whom I had seen, whom I had come in contact with, and I hoped with all of myself that no one had contracted the virus. I had to call my friends, family, and co-workers and explain the whole story.

They transferred me to the infectious diseases department at a bigger hospital in Bergamo. There, they were more prepared to handle this emergency. I was in isolation; no one could visit me. Since there is no cure, they could only give me Tylenol...

Interesting chart comparing mortality for seasonal flu, Spanish Flu of 1918 and COVID19.

I am guessing that the 1918 line might actually be the same as the coronavirus one; it just stops where it does because there were hardly any over 70s to start with. Equally i am surprised how well the very old do with modern flu - effect of vaccination? I usually assume as a rule of thumb that if I hear an 80 year old has any kind of infection at all they are in grave danger.
    eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:

eadric said:

Tomorrow? Wednesday?

What will it take? Sturgeon today talked of 50-80% infected, and 250,000 SCOTS in hospital. And yet it hasn't impacted.

Perhaps when they start digging graves and building tented hospitals, which must happen soon. What you can see is so much more intense.

When domestic football matches get cancelled.
    Hah. Could be.
    My experience is people are very aware and cautiously hoping it is not as bad as they have heard it might be.

The US is screwed beyond belief. Perfect storm of horrendous incompetence, a sick & old population, inability to not work, and fear of getting tested.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    The US is a quasi-theocracy run almost entirely by old men. Its healthcare system is dysfunctional. On that basis, it would be no surprise if it turned out to be more Iran than Singapore.

As I’ve said a few times on here - and apologies for returning to the theme - on my last few visits over to the US the decaying of the demos, the collapse of that swaggering can-do confidence, the increasing lack of pity is palpable. Trump is a president for these times. He will kill thousands, maybe tens of thousands of American citizens. And it will not cost him a moment if the few hours of half-sleep he drops into each night.

tyson said:

2) Profit
    I don't think that's necessary - if Bernie dropped dead tomorrow I'd say nearly all his supporters and his existing delegate would go to Warren, and if she suddenly became viable she might pull some support off Biden as well.
  • Chameleon said:

The US is screwed beyond belief. Perfect storm of horrendous incompetence, a sick & old population, inability to not work, and fear of getting tested.

Plus the seemingly ingrained belief that providing healthcare for all their citizens is akin to full on Communism.
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

Just one hospital.

Early days, they started after Italy.
    Indeed. France has an excellent health care system. They have had two deaths.

No country will be immune.
    Four.
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Good news - finally a tax cut for Scotland

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1234614993401909255?s=21

The US is a quasi-theocracy run almost entirely by old men. Its healthcare system is dysfunctional. On that basis, it would be no surprise if it turned out to be more Iran than Singapore.

As I’ve said a few times on here - and apologies for returning to the theme - on my last few visits over to the US the decaying of the demos, the collapse of that swaggering can-do confidence, the increasing lack of pity is palpable. Trump is a president for these times. He will kill thousands, maybe tens of thousands of American citizens. And it will not cost him a moment if the few hours of half-sleep he drops into each night.

All empires fall in the end.
    Cyclefree said:

This is odd too.

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1234603592407044096?s=19
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I am guessing that the 1918 line might actually be the same as the coronavirus one; it just stops where it does because there were hardly any over 70s to start with. Equally i am surprised how well the very old do with modern flu - effect of vaccination? I usually assume as a rule of thumb that if I hear an 80 year old has any kind of infection at all they are in grave danger.
    Yes, I think that true in part of 1918, and of course no antibiotics then, though contemporary descriptions fit cytokine storm in the young.

Strict containment is the way to go. It will be less economically damaging in the longer run too.
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

And obesity. And opioids. And homeless.
    I tempted to add ignorance.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

So for over 80s coronavirus is a serious concern, for under 50s it is no more of a concern than normal flu
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eadric said:

Tomorrow? Wednesday?

Because most people understand that a reasonable worst case is unlikely to happen
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

Just one hospital.

People don't die immediately. Germany's cases are quite new. But yes, with such a low level of cases, the vast majority of people should live, if they aren't it shows many missed cases, or incompetence.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

So for over 80s coronavirus is a serious concern, for under 50s it is no more of a concern than normal flu
    *Assuming a non-overwhelmed healthcare system.

Past 20k cases that is an assumption that will not hold.
    eadric said:

Scenes of Greek naval officers shooting at migrants.

This is literally what PB predicted just last night.

It begins.

No. The coastguards were aiming warning shots into the water, and the Turkish rib launching the dinghy has a guy waving what appears to be a pistol.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

I honestly believe that Trump would sacrifice his children to save his own neck if he had to.
    eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

Incredible, wasn't it?

She actually said "look, we only have 9 cases!"

Which is stupefying on several million levels.
    She seemed to think the rest of the world is like communist East Germany. She kept on saying America is different because it's a country of freedom and people come in and out.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

Incredible, wasn't it?

There is a serious prospect of more Americans dying of this this year than Chinese. Incredible.
    The Govt.'s tone seems to be harshening quite quickly. Compare the language of 8 days ago with now and it's a world apart.
    glw said:

I honestly believe that Trump would sacrifice his children to save his own neck if he had to.
    Well, maybe all of them but the one he thinks is a piece of ass.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

0.4% mortality for 40 somethings is not of no concern.
    Chameleon said:

The Govt.'s tone seems to be harshening quite quickly. Compare the language of 8 days ago with now and it's a world apart.

They've met the medical teams?
    eadric said:

Scenes of Greek naval officers shooting at migrants.

This is literally what PB predicted just last night.

It begins.

I think that was me. It just seemed inevitable, if deeply depressing.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    glw said:

Grimly funny...

I always wonder if they REALLY believe in this American exceptionalism BS, or do they feel oblidged to say such nonsense.
    I don't think so many people would express such sentiments, so passionately, without believing it.

All empires fall in the end.
    I wish it would wait a few decades at least.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

If true, that's a very pertinent point - but I suspect the scales are deceptive. The blue line is many times higher than the green line, even at ages below 50.
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

Incredible, wasn't it?

There is a serious prospect of more Americans dying of this this year than Chinese. Incredible.
    Trump always wants to beat the Chinese.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,469
    eadric said:

Perhaps the great historical irony of Coronavirus will be when China handles the bug better than America.

There have been a number of articles written about how Covid-19 exposes defects in Chinese totalitarianism. While those defects won't cease to exist if the US suffers more, it won't exactly be a good advert for democracy.
    Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No, under 50s will still generally recover with no hospital treatment at all and a hot broth in bed.

Hospital treatment may still be needed for pensioners who get it though

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

If true, that's a very pertinent point - but I suspect the scales are deceptive. The blue line is many times higher than the green line, even at ages below 50.
    And also, I know several family and friends in their 80s. So it is a concern even though I am 55.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It is statistically indistinguishable a death rate for 40s and under between coronavirus and normal flu. Over 99% will recover

I haven't been to the States for about 5 years, but when I was last there, I was taken by the numbers of people who had fallen through the cracks of society. No European style welfare system for them either.

It is no fun being poor anywhere, and we have our own problems, but the USA must be the worst place in the G7 to be down on your luck.

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Cyclefree said:

Incredible, wasn't it?

Trump always wants to beat the Chinese.
    Trump is in danger of beating Herbert Hoover and for similar reasons. I have never really doubted my small bet on his re election until now.
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It is statistically indistinguishable a death rate for 40s and under between coronavirus and normal flu. Over 99% will recover
    That's a very definitive claim based off of a small sample size of untrustworthy data.

It's also an incorrect one, there is a difference, even if you cannot see it in that graph.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The fatality risk for 40 somethings is at least 10 times higher for coronavirus than for flu.
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Actually the blue line is about level with the green line until the age of 40, I am 38.
    Charles said:

eadric said:

Tomorrow? Wednesday?

Because most people understand that a reasonable worst case is unlikely to happen
    But, Charles, would you not agree that if you divide those figures by let's say 4 they are still devastating? And that an outcome somewhere in 75% of the range of all the possible outcomes is possibly quite likely to happen?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

No, under 50s will still generally recover with no hospital treatment at all and a hot broth in bed.

We're back to the broth strategy. Definitely time to say goodnight!
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Actually the blue line is about level with the green line until the age of 40
    No it isn't - look closely.

(Specsavers have some good deals on at the moment, just saying.)
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Going past 20k cases seems inevitable now.

So we're...... hmm..... not in a great place.
    We're in a far better place than just about any other country with regards to slowing the onset. France has already abandoned containment. We've bought a week, maybe two before pandemic stage while we see it ravage Europe, which may be enough to lower our R0 by enough to miss the worse.
    Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

That's a very definitive claim based off of a small sample size of untrustworthy data.

It's also an incorrect one, there is a difference, even if you cannot see it in that graph.
    It is drawn from clear statistical data and matches other stats
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

The First Amendment
    Sure, if you don't ever get as far as the Second Amendment.

On the first, it would have been interesting to watch the Parkfield protests in a First Amendment world. The protesters would have been citing both their right to freedom of religion, and to peaceable assembly.

It would have a positive effect on our defamation laws, but probably a negative one on our press (the OJ trial was particularly unbecoming; I recently watched the Netflix dramatisation, thinking "this couldn't happen here" about ten times an episode).

To me, the US's biggest problem has always been that they think "X is good. Therefore more X is better." The First Amendment is a perfect example - there is such a thing as too much freedom.

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It is, and a 1.8% chance of death as a fifty something male is not trivial, even if @HYUFD is fool enough to think so. 10% needing Intensive Care is not just like a normal flu.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,410
    eadric said:

Newsnight is now discussing the minutiae of Priti Patel's argument with her staff.

In the shadow of coronavirus, this feels like counting-angel-pin-head territory, and you can tell from the face of the Newsnight journalist that he knows this, even if his guests don't.

He's thinking: FFS, thousands are about to die, who cares, oh God, I've got to carry on.

With apologies to Casino Royale, I reckon that in about a week all other news will probably fade out entirely.

Entirely right.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The fact you have to use a microscope to see any difference between the blue and green lines under the age of 40 does not disprove my point

tyson said:

2) Profit
    I don't think that's necessary - if Bernie dropped dead tomorrow I'd say nearly all his supporters and his existing delegate would go to Warren, and if she suddenly became viable she might pull some support off Biden as well.
    If Bernie drops dead tomorrow, his supporters are going to start screaming conspiracy and building barricades.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It is, and a 1.8% chance of death as a fifty something male is not trivial, even if @HYUFD is fool enough to think so. 10% needing Intensive Care is not just like a normal flu.
    As you can also die from normal flu the difference is trivial actually, it is only over the age of 60 and especially over the age of 80 a significantly higher fatality rate is seen with coronavirus than normal flu.

Though it should be noted on those stats even most over 80s would survive coronavirus
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,601
    The Turkey-Syria conflict is escalating. Newsnight showed footage of Turkish drones eliminating scores of Syrian armoured vehicles.

the raw footage is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SMvWOdlkTw

Some of those must be Russian vehicles if not 'military advisers'. Now the Russians say they are putting troops in Idlib there is no oopsie didn't see you down there.

This could be unprecedented
    NATO Turkey in active conflict against Russia. Two hard headed nationalists refusing to back down. What could go wrong?
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

This is a plot of the lower reaches, the bottom on a log scale.

https://twitter.com/ojessen/status/1234602153542635523?s=09

For a 30 something there is a 0.2% fatality rate with Covid19 vs 0.01% for seasonal flu.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Foxy said:

I haven't been to the States for about 5 years, but when I was last there, I was taken by the numbers of people who had fallen through the cracks of society. No European style welfare system for them either.

It is no fun being poor anywhere, and we have our own problems, but the USA must be the worst place in the G7 to be down on your luck.
    Yes, although to be fair I think that outside the cities there's a fair chance that your neighbo(u)rs will rally round if you get into sudden difficulty - the mutual support in small towns is probably stronger than in the UK (I have no idea who most of my neighbours are, except my landlady). But in the cities, poverty is grim and the sense of abandonment palpable.
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Hot broth!

You should actually start the "HYUFD From PB's Hot Broth Coronavirus Pop Up". You'll make millions
    Yes, this is a good time to be a soup entrepreneur
    Remember, those stats are for a semi-functioning healthcare system. To be generous, we have 24,961 concurrent infections left before those stats look like big lowballs. China imported about 0.7 medical workers per case in Wuhan, and still had a 5% mortality rate.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,128

Can someome help me here

I know Sanders is compared to Corbyn but who does Biden compare with

I have a poor knowledge of the candidates but I do want Trump out but not to Sanders

Neil Kinnock.
    Really. The US are in a mess then

Why doesn't Michelle Obama or someone sensible stand
    Michelle Obama isn't a politician and people have been asking that question for months.

Presidential candidates were once regularly state governors but now they are decrepit Washington politicians.
    I'll add that the "After Hilary it will be Michelle followed by Chelsea then the Obama girls" talk in 2016 would certainly have boosted Trump.

I suspect many voters don't think the Presidency is something which should be passed around members of the same family.
    Define irony:
    The PB monarchists taking such a detailed interest in a country with an ELECTED head of state.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,397
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

This is odd too.

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, I think that true in part of 1918, and of course no antibiotics then, though contemporary descriptions fit cytokine storm in the young.

Strict containment is the way to go. It will be less economically damaging in the longer run too.
    Genuine question (given the poster I assume it's my knowledge that is lacking here) - how are antibiotics relevant to flu? For secondary (bacterial) infections? Do elderly flu sufferers often get (or already have) other infections that are harder to deal with when also fighting flu?

Can someome help me here

I have a poor knowledge of the candidates but I do want Trump out but not to Sanders

Neil Kinnock.

Michelle Obama isn't a politician and people have been asking that question for months.

Presidential candidates were once regularly state governors but now they are decrepit Washington politicians.
    I'll add that the "After Hilary it will be Michelle followed by Chelsea then the Obama girls" talk in 2016 would certainly have boosted Trump.

I suspect many voters don't think the Presidency is something which should be passed around members of the same family.
    Define irony:
    The PB monarchists taking such a detailed interest in a country with an ELECTED head of state.
    Well if all the septuguanarian candidates die off the British Monarchy can put in a bid to return as Head of State
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

This is odd too.

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Genuine question (given the poster I assume it's my knowledge that is lacking here) - how are antibiotics relevant to flu? For secondary (bacterial) infections? Do elderly flu sufferers often get (or already have) other infections that are harder to deal with when also fighting flu?
    Yeah they get bacterial pneumonia.
    Chameleon said:

Remember, those stats are for a semi-functioning healthcare system. To be generous, we have 24,961 concurrent infections left before those stats look like big lowballs. China imported about 0.7 medical workers per case in Wuhan, and still had a 5% mortality rate.

Very few under 50s with coronavirus will need hospital treatment
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024

Can someome help me here

Neil Kinnock.

Define irony:
    Define non-sequitur more like.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The Blitz killed well under 1% of Brits, but few would have described it as "of no concern".
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,128
    kle4 said:

Can someome help me here

Neil Kinnock.

Define irony:
    Define non-sequitur more like.
    The U.S. is a republic, no?
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

snip

Going past 20k cases seems inevitable now.

So we're...... hmm..... not in a great place.
    We're in a far better place than just about any other country with regards to slowing the onset. France has already abandoned containment. We've bought a week, maybe two before pandemic stage while we see it ravage Europe, which may be enough to lower our R0 by enough to miss the worse.
    Really??

Oh God, I hope you're right. Please be right!

I was in a bar in Soho tonight surrounded by happy drinkers, with an old friend, and for about five minutes I felt this intense, unique sadness: that all this was likely about to end, that life was about to change, greatly for the worse.

And all those drinkers around me were completely oblivious (and I think they are oblivious, most people just don't think this crazy big bad thing will happen).

It's gonna be a scary ride, whatever.
    We're doing about 2k tests a day, about 1.5 times what the US and France have done in total. We're (probably) delaying the onset by a week from France, Germany, Spain, two from Italy and the US. If those countries start recording hundreds to thousands of deaths behaviour will change.

At the moment it's not on the radar massively because there's maybe 70 deaths in all those countries combined.

Anecdotally most people I know have been advised and supplied with resources for working from home and are starting to take other measures.

Delaying the onset of widespread community transmission will lead to a lower R0, and a medical system that is marginally more prepared. How much of an effect our current widespread testing has will only be clear after the issue has passed.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

For a 30 something there is a 0.2% fatality rate with Covid19 vs 0.01% for seasonal flu.
    An order of magnitude increase.

Now, I myself am not worried about that (although I do seem to have an annual bout of something respiratory related every year) but only a blithering fucking moron who can never admit to being wrong could claim there is no difference between the two.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The Blitz killed well under 1% of Brits, but few would have described it as "of no concern".
    If they also had a risk under 1% of being bombed before anyway, yes it would be of no real concern to the usual
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

If the infection cases double every 2 days (which seems a fair assessment right now) then the UK will reach 20,000 cases in about a week and a half.

So we don't have long before we find out if you are right. Unless sunlight kills this bloody thing, somehow.
    You're wrong on that one in two ways.

Firstly, it seems like estimations for doubling rate is closer to 4-6 days. At the moment lots of the leaps in case numbers are due to the testers knowing where to look.

Secondly, we have two community transmission cases, far fewer than Germany, Spain, France (all over 100 ct). We *should* have contact traced all of the other 37 imported cases, and they shouldn't result in further cases, hence should be excluded from the doubling estimate.

There's lots of reason to be gloomy, but a little bit optimism for the UK for the time being.
    edited March 2020
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

An order of magnitude increase.

Now, I myself am not worried about that (although I do seem to have an annual bout of something respiratory related every year) but only a blithering fucking moron who can never admit to being wrong could claim there is no difference between the two.
    Essentially there is none, no, there is well over a 99% survival rate in both cases.

I have had surgery with a higher death rate than that
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,397
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Tomorrow? Wednesday?

But, Charles, would you not agree that if you divide those figures by let's say 4 they are still devastating? And that an outcome somewhere in 75% of the range of all the possible outcomes is possibly quite likely to happen?
    I'd say its either (fairly well) contained, or it isn't. Once you get past a certain point, containment at small scale as we're seeing in UK now it's not possible, there are too many contacts to chase. So either it's quite well contained, in which small numbers of infections before seasonality brings a drop - order of magnitude below worst case or it's not and the numbers go up sharply to some fraction of worst case (depending on the virus itself and whatever larger scale quarantineis possible)
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Ah, yes, but most of those were in London. Coronavirus is assumed to be less important until we are sure it will disproportionately affect the Capital.
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Have you seen the many many videos of people under 50 just collapsing in the street and dying? It happened in China, now it is happening in Iran.

I can link if you want.

EDIT

I will link one. This is less distressing than most, because he doesn't die, and he gets medical attention, in many of these videos people just die on the street.

https://twitter.com/MostafaMe4/status/1234593508092190720?s=20

Iran is a messed up country, but a virus is a virus, I am not sure why we will not see this in the UK. The guy in this video is young.
    So the guy has an uncomfortable experience but still does not die then
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Have you seen the many many videos of people under 50 just collapsing in the street and dying? It happened in China, now it is happening in Iran.

I can link if you want.

EDIT

I will link one. This is less distressing than most, because he doesn't die, and he gets medical attention, in many of these videos people just die on the street.

Iran is a messed up country, but a virus is a virus, I am not sure why we will not see this in the UK. The guy in this video is young.
    Have you thought about applying to be the White House Press Sec? You exhibit the requisite attributes in quite astounding quantities.
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

If the infection cases double every 2 days (which seems a fair assessment right now) then the UK will reach 20,000 cases in about a week and a half.

So we don't have long before we find out if you are right. Unless sunlight kills this bloody thing, somehow.
    You're wrong on that one in two ways.

Firstly, it seems like estimations for doubling rate is closer to 4-6 days. At the moment lots of the leaps in case numbers are due to the testers knowing where to look.

Secondly, we have two community transmission cases, far fewer than Germany, Spain, France (all over 100 ct). We *should* have contact traced all of the other 37 imported cases, and they shouldn't result in further cases, hence should be excluded from the doubling estimate.

There's lots of reason to be gloomy, but a little bit optimism for the UK for the time being.
    Yes, I think so too. If it does break out in a big way then social isolation and quarantine is the best option for both individuals and for wider society and the national economy. It worked in China, Singapore, and can do so here. It will only take off in a big way if we let it.
    edited March 2020
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1234588787641970689.html

nextstrain.org is so good, but that's the person behind it, saying that from the evidence they have from sequencing that there's been over a month of undetected transmission in WA due to the stringent testing criteria.

Median estimate of 570 cases in WA, assuming 6 days to double. Up to 1,500.
    Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

I can link if you want.

EDIT

Have you thought about applying to be the White House Press Sec? You exhibit the requisite attributes in quite astounding quantities.
    What are the odds that Trump will recommend hot broth at some point?
This discussion has been closed.