Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour must get over its myth of 2017 if it is to win again

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    eek said:

DavidL said:

First.

On your own thread? I sure that means you are disqualified.
    Mike published it, not me. I just saw his tweet. :)
    Everyone loves the glory of being first.
    I've often thought of a PB service where for, say, £10 a time, posters get a two minute notice that a new thread has gone up before I Tweet it. This would help support the site and give people the pleasure and bragging rights of being able to write First.
    Are there any other forums or sites that operate the PB-style 'single thread at a time' approach? I think it works really well and the current race to be first is one of the minor pleasures of PB, so I do hope you don't sell out to the tempataion of a the multi-£m revenue stream such a notification service would obviously bring in.

I say, let's keep the level-playing field for all! (except TSE obs!)
    If TSE gets joy in cheating, it's the least he can enjoy it for the rest of the work he does here.
    Fair point.

Personally, I feel I can claim first if the only earlier poster is TSE. :smile:
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

Barnesian said:

What would happen, in practice, if the Home Office Civil Service went on strike, or a 9-5 work to rule?
    Would anyone notice?
    The preparation for the points based immigration system would stop for instance, and many other things that the Home Office does. So yes people would notice.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

What would happen, in practice, if the Home Office Civil Service went on strike, or a 9-5 work to rule?
    Would anyone notice?
    The preparation for the points based immigration system would stop for instance, and many other things that the Home Office does. So yes people would notice.
    That sounds liveable through
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282

Do we think the Tories will hit 50% of the vote in 2024?

All depends on Johnson and Brexit. If Brexit is a rip-roaring success why not?

Johnson is a vote winning machine. Against Starmer or Nandy less likely, although both have had charisma by-passes. Against Long Bailey, the sky is the limit.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

My model has r^2 = 0.998 for the past 14 days' worth of coronavirus cases outside China. If it continues to fit, we'll get:
    2 March 10700
    5 March 23700
    7 March 42400
    9 March 79100
    12 March 217000
    10^6th case 17 March
    10^7th case, 22 March
    10^8th case, 27 March
    10^9th case, 31 March
    ...and as bad as it's going to get, wrt no. of people infected, 4 April.
    Happy Easter!

After a while carriers will be meeting people who have or have had it, so the exponential decreases
  • Options

Yes, it sounds horrendously dyfunctional - but I am not sure that builds a case for constructive dismissal.
    I think he has a very robust case for constructive dismissal. There's absolutely no secret that Patel wanted him out and had no grounds to fire him. She and/or her associates then aggressively briefed against him with the media. From his statement, it appears he was offered a pay off and refused it.

There may have also been briefing from supporters of his but, unless there is a smoking gun linking him personally to that, it makes very little difference to the claim.
  • Options
    Seems to me that it would be odd for a Civil Servant of many years, to throw away their career on something they didn't think was worth it.

Vs Priti Patel, who did deeply dodgy stuff in positions before in the Government, has backed dodgy positions in the past and says moronic things that don't make sense.

I think on the grounds of evidence, I will back the Civil Service.
  • Options

Yes, it sounds horrendously dyfunctional - but I am not sure that builds a case for constructive dismissal.
    I think he has a very robust case for constructive dismissal. There's absolutely no secret that Patel wanted him out and had no grounds to fire him. She and/or her associates then aggressively briefed against him with the media. From his statement, it appears he was offered a pay off and refused it.

There may have also been briefing from supporters of his but, unless there is a smoking gun linking him personally to that, it makes very little difference to the claim.
    When I was a civil servant (very briefly !) I am sure I signed a contract that said I was working for the Queen and you cannot sue the Queen
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

DavidL said:

First.

On your own thread? I sure that means you are disqualified.
    Mike published it, not me. I just saw his tweet. :)
    Everyone loves the glory of being first.
    I've often thought of a PB service where for, say, £10 a time, posters get a two minute notice that a new thread has gone up before I Tweet it. This would help support the site and give people the pleasure and bragging rights of being able to write First.
    You could do a price for the text and a fiver if they make it first
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    IanB2 said:

My model has r^2 = 0.998 for the past 14 days' worth of coronavirus cases outside China. If it continues to fit, we'll get:
    2 March 10700
    5 March 23700
    7 March 42400
    9 March 79100
    12 March 217000
    10^6th case 17 March
    10^7th case, 22 March
    10^8th case, 27 March
    10^9th case, 31 March
    Happy Easter!

After a while carriers will be meeting people who have or have had it, so the exponential decreases
    Which is why the question of whether you can be reinfected is rather important.
  • Options

Priti has form. I suspect former Civil Servants who have crossed her path will be queueing up to offer their support for Sir Philip's tribunal case.
  • Options

Shipman says both sides were briefing - Most of it was anti-Patel - sounds like he got into a briefing war and lost. He should have gone when Rudd was hung out to dry.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Sounds about right to me.
    No doubt there is right and wrong on both sides, but on the plain facts claimed, his employer does not appear to have followed procedure the law requires.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Did a YouGov survey this morning.

The question of the moment: "Which would win, 100,000 ducks or ten million locusts?"

Err, win what?
    I did.. it was about an article during the week where the chinese are trying to use 100,000 ducks to control 10 billion iirc not million locusts.. the locusts will win
    them scoffing 20 million a day will certainly help a bit , not sure there are 10 billion mind you
  • Options

Shipman says both sides were briefing - Most of it was anti-Patel - sounds like he got into a briefing war and lost. He should have gone when Rudd was hung out to dry.
    This is a question of employment law rather than politics, though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

No doubt there is right and wrong on both sides, but on the plain facts claimed, his employer does not appear to have followed procedure the law requires.
    Which procedures did they not follow?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

The question of the moment: "Which would win, 100,000 ducks or ten million locusts?"

Err, win what?
    I did.. it was about an article during the week where the chinese are trying to use 100,000 ducks to control 10 billion iirc not million locusts.. the locusts will win
    them scoffing 20 million a day will certainly help a bit , not sure there are 10 billion mind you
    Most of that 10 billion will die for lack of food. The ducks are used at the boundary of the infestation to prevent its spread.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I am not sure that anyone on here can make a judgement on this as it is a question of law isn't it? Most employees have grumbles with their bosses from time to time , its part of life and work .
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    48 cases now in Spain 10 already today.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Most of that 10 billion will die for lack of food. The ducks are used at the boundary of the infestation to prevent its spread.
    It's "millions" not ten billion. At least with yougov
  • Options
    nichomar said:

48 cases now in Spain 10 already today.

Good Smuggling!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

Not a chance.

Why are you even asking ?
    Their vote share keeps going up.
    The thing to remember is that there is a good chance that practically every reason why the Tories did well in 2019 will no longer apply in 2024.

- The fear of Brexit being stopped will be gone.
    - The actual Brexit result will have crystallised around a new reality rather than still being a hypothetical. As such it will undoubtedly please some whilst upsetting others.
    - Corbyn will no longer be the Leader of the Opposition and Starmer (if indeed it is he) will be a far more electable choice - even if I can't stand the bloke.
    - The economic and employment cycle will almost certainly have moved against the Tories.
    - Boris will have been in power for 5 years rather than 5 months so will not be able to hide from any bad Government decisions and pretend they were nothing to do with him.

I don't think this means Boris will lose. But I do think that, black swans excepted, it will be far more of a contest than 2019 was.

Would have thought so.

Lots of people voted Tory to "Get Brexit Done", hence they won so easily. I would have thought there are many voters, like myself, who are excited to see what all parties have to offer in post EU Britain, sans excuses of hands tied by Brussels
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

The thing to remember is that there is a good chance that practically every reason why the Tories did well in 2019 will no longer apply in 2024.

- The actual Brexit result will have crystallised around a new reality rather than still being a hypothetical. As such it will undoubtedly please some whilst upsetting others.
    - Corbyn will no longer be the Leader of the Opposition and Starmer (if indeed it is he) will be a far more electable choice - even if I can't stand the bloke.
    - The economic and employment cycle will almost certainly have moved against the Tories.
    - Boris will have been in power for 5 years rather than 5 months so will not be able to hide from any bad Government decisions and pretend they were nothing to do with him.

I don't think this means Boris will lose. But I do think that, black swans excepted, it will be far more of a contest than 2019 was.

+1

Labour are perfectly capable of winning next time.

It's too early to bet but I would price them at 5/2 for largest party.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I am not sure that anyone on here can make a judgement on this as it is a question of law isn't it? Most employees have grumbles with their bosses from time to time , its part of life and work .
    Well he evidently was not dismissed for gross misconduct, for a start. And why was he offered a settlement ?
  • Options
    isam said:

Not a chance.

Why are you even asking ?
    Their vote share keeps going up.

Would have thought so.

Lots of people voted Tory to "Get Brexit Done", hence they won so easily. I would have thought there are many voters, like myself, who are excited to see what all parties have to offer in post EU Britain, sans excuses of hands tied by Brussels
    Having done the dirty deed once and survived, I suspect many former Labour 'til I die voters might just do it again.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    It's "millions" not ten billion. At least with yougov
    An even more unequal contest, then. :smile:
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Sir Bufton Tufton of Windrush vs Priti Patel.

I wonder who the public would prefer to stay on at the Home office.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Well he evidently was not dismissed for gross misconduct, for a start. And why was he offered a settlement ?
    I am pretty certain neither or either of them lead to an automatic claim for constructive dismissal .
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

So that he kept his mouth shut. Settlement agreements like that are pretty common with senior employees.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The accusation that Priti breached anti-bullying procedures by abusive language and swearing at staff seems to be a reasonable starting point.
  • Options
    One of the triggers for constructive dismissal is bullying.

The advice is to quit your job ASAP, the employer then can argue that by staying you accepted the working conditions.

Now Patel is no stranger for allegations of bullying, from her time at DFID.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/24/civil-servant-writes-staff-priti-patel-bullying-reports?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

+1

Labour are perfectly capable of winning next time.

It's too early to bet but I would price them at 5/2 for largest party.
    Black swans have become so frequent that maybe we need a specific collective noun to describe them.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Not really, particularly if there is a constructive dismissal action on the cards.
  • Options
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Not really. Do you expect him to make a prejudicial remark one way or the other?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    TGOHF666 said:

Yes, let’s keep totally unsuitable people in office because the mob wants them
  • Options
    I’m so glad that those people who rightly abhorred Bercow’s bullying are being so consistent with Patel.
  • Options
    Sedwill will be told to not comment, if there is any chance of legal action. Doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

So that he kept his mouth shut. Settlement agreements like that are pretty common with senior employees.
    Just to expand on that: it’s pretty clear the Cabinet Office tried to fix this, failed, and told him they wanted him to resign, quietly, in exchange for a decent sized cheque. That he refused, and chose to go down the litigation route, could be construed as courage. But it might equally be the act of someone who doesn’t know when to quit fighting. That’s not a great personality trait in a civil servant.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Not sure which side you are advocating on behalf of?
  • Options
    I am no fan of Priti Patel but for her senior civil servant to quit in tears is really rather pathetic

Maybe some civil servants need to understand the politician is elected and answerable to the public and they should do everything to follow their instructions whether they like it or not
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Public = mob then does it? I think this shows some arrogance and contempt for the public who frankly could not care if one member of the establishment has a row with another beyond the fact they will probably end up paying for it in taxpayers money because one side goes down a ME ME ME approach unbecoming of real leaders be they ministers or senior civil servants
  • Options

I am no fan of Priti Patel but for her senior civil servant to quit in tears is really rather pathetic

Maybe some civil servants need to understand the politician is elected and answerable to the public and they should do everything to follow their instructions whether they like it or not

So if their boss tells them to do something unlawful they should carry it out?
  • Options

Just curious, whose side did you take on the Bercow bullying accusations?
  • Options
    Quite a track record

Rutnam became Permanent Secretary at the Department for Transport in April 2012.[3] As of 2015, Rutnam was paid a salary of between £170,000 and £174,999, making him one of the 328 most highly paid people in the British public sector at that time.[5]

On 27 February 2017, it was announced that Rutnam would replace Mark Sedwill as Permanent Secretary at the Home Office.[6] Rutnam took up the post in April 2017

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Rutnam
  • Options

So if their boss tells them to do something unlawful they should carry it out?
    If they propose changing the law then yes
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    If Priti Woman goes now she can be back as Northern Ireland Sec. in the Autumn reshuffle. It is possible to have a perfectly good resignation as Tucker,M. once observed.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

No it is not!

In that relationship she had the whip hand, however she had absolutely no right to be abusive. Which is the principal allegation against Priti Patel.

You have clearly never worked for someone who abuses their power and authority.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Going crying to the papers is a turds approach .
  • Options

In Bercows case there are multiple accusations on record.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    edited February 2020
    isam said:

Would have thought so.

Yes. Also, I think it'd be a mistake to spend much time dissecting the past. Obviously the members mostly won't like it and a fierce argument would ensue. But more importantly, the electorate at large isn't very interested - they want to hear what the parties want to do next, not what they think about thrmselves in the past. A clear change of tone and direction implicitly rejects the previous tone and direction, without needing to go on about it.

The amicable nature of the contest reflects the general cease-fire between the different wings of Labour. There are outriders in Momentum and Labour First who are keen to go on squabbling, but most of us (including me and the other Momentum members who I know) are not interested, and willing to give Starmer (or whoever) a fair run, including policy changes, as long as he doesn't point his guns inwards. It is not, after all, as though the Government was doing so wonderfully that no effective challenge is needed.

Two early challenges will be the ECHR anti-semitism report (which I suspect will simply be accepted without quibbling, unless it proposes measures that seem totally unworkable) and the local elections in May, which are mostly in areas where Labour did well last time under Corbyn. The new team will want to do better, but it's hard to improve with some councils having 90% Labour councillors already.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited February 2020

No it is not!

In that relationship she had the whip hand, however she had absolutely no right to be abusive.

Further proof that Enoch Powell was right.

The non white person has the whip hand over the indigenous British white man.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    IanB2 said:

2 March 10700
    5 March 23700
    7 March 42400
    9 March 79100
    12 March 217000
    10^6th case 17 March
    10^7th case, 22 March
    10^8th case, 27 March
    10^9th case, 31 March
    Happy Easter!

I don't think it's so much that, as people changing their behaviour as a response to fear.

The percentage infected within China has been too small to make much difference to the rate of spread, even if one assumes 90% of cases haven't being diagnosed. But still the rate of spread has plummeted, to around 10% of its peak value in Hubei Province, and around 1% elsewhere in Mainland China.
  • Options

Elected or not, she has to follow the law. Pathectic to suggest otherwise.
    The allegation is not that she has given him instructions he did not like.
  • Options
    On the most recent podcast for this series. It’s an excellent in depth dissection of Corbynism and what happened. Good guests also.
    https://audioboom.com/channels/5016299

Other podcast sources available..
  • Options

One gets the impression there might well be in this case too, very soon.
  • Options

No it is not!

In that relationship she had the whip hand, however she had absolutely no right to be abusive. Which is the principal allegation against Priti Patel.

You do not know the details and it is clear there is a clash of personalities

In my business no one was ever bullied and it never arose
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    On the US, I suspect the time to back Sanders is tomorrow after a thumping Biden win in SC - there will then be a tempory lengtthening of the Sanders price before Super Tuesday. DYOR of course.
  • Options

No it is not!

In that relationship she had the whip hand, however she had absolutely no right to be abusive.

The non white has the whip hand over the indigenous white man.
    That was an unfortunate use of language which I regret after the point you have just made.

No one has ever accused me of channelling Enoch Powell before. I stand chastised and corrected.
  • Options

Personally I don't think either Bercow or Patel from any concrete evidence that the public 100% know about can be called a bully ! i think the term bully is being overused by anybody who has a score to settle in society now which is a pity as true bullying ( that poor aussie lad for example) is very wrong and inhuman.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I am not suggesting Patel breaks the law and how do you know that is the issue
  • Options

Nigelb said:

That is the allegation.
  • Options

No it is not!

It is possible for both Patel to be an abusive bully and Rutnam not up to the job.

Shipman says much of the briefing from the Home Office was anti-Patel.
  • Options

isam said:

Would have thought so.

Yes. Also, I think it'd be a mistake to spend much time dissecting the past. Obviously the members mostly won't like it and a fierce argument would ensue. But more importantly, the electorate at large isn't very interested - they want to hear what the parties want to do next, not what they think about thrmselves in the past. A clear change of tone and direction implicitly rejects the previous tone and direction, without needing to go on about it.

The amicable nature of the contest reflects the general cease-fire between the different wings of Labour. There are outriders in Momentum and Labour First who are keen to go on squabbling, but most of us (including me and the other Momentum members who I know) are not interested, and willing to give Starmer (or whoever) a fair run, including policy changes, as long as he doesn't point his guns inwards. It is not, after all, as though the Government was doing so wonderfully that no effective challenge is needed.

Two early challenges will be the ECHR anti-semitism report (which I suspect will simply be accepted without quibbling, unless it proposes measures that seem totally unworkable) and the local elections in May, which are mostly in areas where Labour did well last time under Corbyn. The new team will want to do better, but it's hard to improve with some councils having 90% Labour councillors already.
    The last time this round of elections took place it gave a NEV of 31% Labour, 30% Conservative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_Kingdom_local_elections

There should be scope for both parties to show good increases.
  • Options

Seems to me that it would be odd for a Civil Servant of many years, to throw away their career on something they didn't think was worth it.

Vs Priti Patel, who did deeply dodgy stuff in positions before in the Government, has backed dodgy positions in the past and says moronic things that don't make sense.

One thing is a bit odd about it is that the maximum you can claim through an ET is restricted to multiples of £525 per week, probably about a quarter of what he was on. The maximum total award is capped at £86,444. I frankly would have expected a civil servant as senior as him and under pressure to take early retirement to negotiate a "package" on retirement that was worth rather more than that.
  • Options

No it is not!

You do not know the details and it is clear there is a clash of personalities

In my business no one was ever bullied and it never arose
    Well I have, and although it was when I was very much younger the pain is regularly recollected decades on. For the record the bully in question was shown the door before any of the rest of us left!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Interesting header. My take as below -

I think Brexit caused Corbyn to overperform in 2017 and underperform in 2019. Take that special factor away, run an election with Corbyn's Labour against Generic Tory, and their par score is 250 seats. Meaning that Corbyn was unelectable but not quite as disastrously so as Dec 12th would superficially imply. Let's go deeper. How many seats did Corbyn the man cost as opposed to his policies? I judge 25. From this we can deduce that Radical Labour with a better leader (e.g. Starmer) wins 275 seats. Now let us lose the 1970s reactionary vibe from the policies, i.e. assume a manifesto that is "socialist" but in a form bespoke tailored for the age we live in. For me, this wins 50 additional seats. So we are now at 325. Not quite there. But not to worry - the next GE will be fought in a climate of intense disenchantment at the state of post Brexit, post Covid Britain. And it will be in a state, such is becoming clear. This delivers a further 30 seats to Labour. 355. A comfortable working majority and a strong mandate for transformational change in favour of neglected people in neglected places. Or to put it another way, Up The Workers! Let's hope they deliver this time.

Labour lost because Boris ran on Labour's 2017 campaign, plus Brexit, plus (assumed but no real evidence) under-the-radar denigration of Jezza. Boris ran against the May and Cameron governments, against austerity, against cuts.

And if Boris was not lying, then he will win next time because Labour's economic policy was better than the Tory one of the last decade.

Boris won by being a better Jeremy Corbyn than Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Patel may be the most liberal Home Secretary we've had in fifty years, but this cruel, vindictive harassment of her staff is unacceptable and vile. She has to go. Other questions demand answers too. What role did Cummings play in this? We know smashing up the Civil Service and being obnoxious is very much his thing. Was Patel merely trying to impress him or acting on his specific orders? Also, what made Boris appoint her in the first when she was a known liability who'd previously attempted to undermine British foreign policy in the Middle East. We have a right to know.
  • Options

Personally I don't think either Bercow or Patel from any concrete evidence that the public 100% know about can be called a bully ! i think the term bully is being overused by anybody who has a score to settle in society now which is a pity as true bullying ( that poor aussie lad for example) is very wrong and inhuman.
    Several senior Brecow former subordinates are on the record about his bullying. The Patel allegations are so far anonymous.
  • Options

I think they do understand that. Ministers need to understand that treating people like dirt and lying to them, colleagues and the public is also unacceptable. Some very specific allegations have been made. There will be a court case and discovery. Let’s see what happens. We do know that the government tried to pay this bloke off. It’s interesting he refused the money.

• Options

No it is not!

That was an unfortunate use of language which I regret after the point you have just made.

No one has ever accused me of channelling Enoch Powell before. I stand chastised and corrected.
    Just because it was a phrase he used does not make the analogy unsavoury. It was pretty clear there was no reference to Powell in that comment.
  • Options

No it is not!

Don’t regret it and don’t chastise yourself.

I love any opportunity to take the piss out of Enoch Powell, the guy who said I couldn’t possibly be British/English.
  • Options

One of the triggers for constructive dismissal is bullying.

The advice is to quit your job ASAP, the employer then can argue that by staying you accepted the working conditions.

Now Patel is no stranger for allegations of bullying, from her time at DFID.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/24/civil-servant-writes-staff-priti-patel-bullying-reports?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Its a lot easier to quit your job if you've been on fatcat pay for years.

And if you know you'll be given some quangocrat positions in the future.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    PP was quite obviously going to be fucking trouble from the start. That much was apparent after her shenanigans with Israel. Surely there were other hard right psychopaths that Johnson could have made Home Sec.
  • Options

No it is not!

It is possible for both Patel to be an abusive bully and Rutnam not up to the job.

He could have been totally incompetent throughout his 33 year career. If however the allegations against Priti have any foundation he still has an excellent case for constructive dismissal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    If Starmer wins big with over 50% on the first ballot he will have a mandate to shift Labour more towards the centre
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

That is the allegation.
    You are saying that the argument was over breaking the law.

I cannot comment on which law as I have no knowledge of the detail

It is quite obvious on this forum that those against HMG and brexit are siding with the civil servant while those supporting the government are not rushing to judge
  • Options

No it is not!

Don’t regret it and don’t chastise yourself.

I love any opportunity to take the piss out of Enoch Powell, the guy who said I couldn’t possibly be British/English.
    The ghost of Enoch looms large in Boris Johnson's government.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

No it is not!

Patel was just pushy in trying to get things done and as a right wing pro Brexit, state and non Oxbridge educated minister hardly someone senior civil servants would have warmed to.

It was more a clash of culture than anything
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited February 2020

Several senior Brecow former subordinates are on the record about his bullying. The Patel allegations are so far anonymous.
    That may be so but unless we live in a society (that I did not think I grew up in) that a mere accusation ,whether on record or not, makes it true. Especially given the term bullying is very subjective which in turn make it easy for people to self announce they have been bullied.

Bullying has to be more than having a row with your boss or even having a rude boss
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    edited February 2020
    Shouting and screaming is not “bullying”, in my book, even if it’s unpleasant.

I think Patel is probably the least qualified Home Secretary in my lifetime, worse than hapless Jacqui Smith, but mendacious and malevolent as well.

But not convinced yet Mr Rutnam has a cast iron case. Look forward to seeing the evidence.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

PP was quite obviously going to be fucking trouble from the start. That much was apparent after her shenanigans with Israel. Surely there were other hard right psychopaths that Johnson could have made Home Sec.

Certainly.

But would they tick the diversity boxes ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One thing is a bit odd about it is that the maximum you can claim through an ET is restricted to multiples of £525 per week, probably about a quarter of what he was on. The maximum total award is capped at £86,444. I frankly would have expected a civil servant as senior as him and under pressure to take early retirement to negotiate a "package" on retirement that was worth rather more than that.
    Suggests he wants the publicity rather than cash, which will come for either feeling very aggrieved or a political motive. The former feels more likely.
  • Options

No it is not!

Just because it was a phrase he used does not make the analogy unsavoury. It was pretty clear there was no reference to Powell in that comment.
    Bearing in mind Powell's intention and Priti's background it was unfortunately inappropriate.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870

Dura_Ace said:

Certainly.

But would they tick the diversity boxes ?
    Patel is there *because* she is useless and dispensable, just like the rest of the Cabinet.
  • Options

Shouting and screaming is not “bullying”, in my book, even if it’s unpleasant.

I think Patel is probably the least qualified Home Secretary in my lifetime, worse than hapless Jacqui Smith, but mendacious and malevolent as well.

But not convinced yet Mr Rutnam has a cast iron case. Look forward to seeing the evidence.

Shouting and screaming at someone can be bullying.

It can also be deserved.

I suspect they're both at fault.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

isam said:

Would have thought so.

Labour won 1326 councillors in 2016 the last time the seats were up, the Tories 842.

There are also 40 PCC posts which the Tories have most of for them to target in May and London Assembly seats like Havering and Redbridge and Croydon and Sutton the Tories only won narrowly last time.

May's vote will be the first electoral test for Starmer
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

No it is not!

Patel was just pushy in trying to get things done and as a right wing pro Brexit, state and non Oxbridge educated minister hardly someone senior civil servants would have warmed to.

We do know that Patel is a liar. That's how she lost her last job in government. I suspect that Johnson has far fewer problems with liars than May did, though. For obvious reasons.

• Options
    Not surprised to see Big G defending Patel. "Objective" my arse.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Suggests he wants the publicity rather than cash, which will come for either feeling very aggrieved or a political motive. The former feels more likely.
    Yes. But to fall out with one HS is unfortunate. To have fallen out with 2...

Given the salary levels quoted downthread I don't suppose he will be short of a bob or two and his pension will be worth millions.
  • Options

I think they do understand that. Ministers need to understand that treating people like dirt and lying to them, colleagues and the public is also unacceptable. Some very specific allegations have been made. There will be a court case and discovery. Let’s see what happens. We do know that the government tried to pay this bloke off. It’s interesting he refused the money.

I think that is fair and there must be two sides to the story

I am not a Patel fan but I think both sides need a fair hearing

And it is my 19th birthday today and as it comes only once every four years, I will agree with everyone just for today !!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No it is not!

The Civil Service is there to impartially serve the elected government of the day, not the other way around.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    It is also interesting seeing the Tories here immediately take Patel's side yet they didn't take Bercow's. Odd.
This discussion has been closed.