Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour must get over its myth of 2017 if it is to win again

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour must get over its myth of 2017 if it is to win again

Keir Starmer looks well set to win Labour’s leadership election in April. After securing comfortable leads among MPs, CLPs and affiliate organisations in the previous rounds, YouGov reported this week that he holds a 22% lead over Rebecca Long-Bailey, and is more likely than not to win on the first round.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Those that supported Corbyn, including our own Nick, did the country a gave disservice.
  • Options

First.

On your own thread? I sure that means you are disqualified.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

First.

Mike published it, not me. I just saw his tweet. :)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Could be worse. Could be the Lib Dems.
  • Options

DavidL said:

First.

Everyone loves the glory of being first.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    Trouble breaking out at the Home Office
  • Options
    On topic I am not quite sure. What Starmer will bring is some intelligence and tactical nous to the situation. The attacks on the governments actions, inactions, whatever will become more coherent. The opposition will start to sound like an alternative government again instead of a protest movement. Ministers will be challenged with shadows who have some idea what they might do instead rather than a moral vacuity.

My guess is that most Labour members will get to like the fact that their party sounds more credible and less vile again. The details of actual policy changes will not matter nearly so much as the tone. I suspect that most of what David thinks it is necessary to have a big battle about will be won almost by default.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Could be better. Could have not won fewer MPs than in 1945, 1950, 1951, 1955, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1974 (x2), 1979, 1983, 1987, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 or 2017.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    The thing about the kabour party is the leader needs more power to change policy and appoint shadow cabinet members
  • Options

DavidL said:

First.

Maybe a provisional result like Iowa then. We can confirm the actual result in a couple of weeks when no one is interested anymore.
  • Options

DavidL said:

First.

I've often thought of a PB service where for, say, £10 a time, posters get a two minute notice that a new thread has gone up before I Tweet it. This would help support the site and give people the pleasure and bragging rights of being able to write First.
  • Options
    On topic:

(1) Brexit wouldn't have happened without Corbyn. He was leader just long enough to both help cause and guarantee it (2015-2020), something his acolytes have never worked out.

(2) On Sanders, yes, and I think Biden is now too short. But, Sanders does have to survive the year. And I mean stay alive - literally (not politically) - so keep Warren onside. She's the understudy and Plan B.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51687287

Hmm... Priti Patel worries me.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    FPT:

Did a YouGov survey this morning.

The question of the moment: "Which would win, 100,000 ducks or ten million locusts?"
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Could be better. Could have not won fewer MPs than in 1945, 1950, 1951, 1955, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1974 (x2), 1979, 1983, 1987, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 or 2017.
    Still not as dire as the rollercoaster the Libdems have been on.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

A classic example of whataboutery.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    DavidL said:

Those that supported Corbyn, including our own Nick, did the country a gave disservice.

Personally I think those that supported and continue to support Johnson, including half of PB commentators, do the country a greater disservice. Johnson is the one we ended up with.

I agree with the topic header. I point out that Tony Blair tacked quite left when he was trying to be leader. Starmer may or may not follow a similar trajectory.

On the PS, Trump was the insurgent who would take America away from the direction it was going in, kick ass, do deals and drain the swamp. Being the incumbent pointing to his record when he hasn't done the deals and drained the swamp.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

The question of the moment: "Which would win, 100,000 ducks or ten million locusts?"

Err, win what?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    edited February 2020

DavidL said:

First.

I've often thought of a PB service where for, say, £10 a time, posters get a two minute notice that a new thread has gone up before I Tweet it. This would help support the site and give people the pleasure and bragging rights of being able to write First.
    Are there any other forums or sites that operate the PB-style 'single thread at a time' approach? I think it works really well and the current race to be first is one of the minor pleasures of PB, so I do hope you don't sell out to the tempataion of a the multi-£m revenue stream such a notification service would obviously bring in.

I say, let's keep the level-playing field for all! (except TSE obs!)
  • Options

DavidL said:

First.

Lol. Why not?!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

China could deploy 100,000 ducks to neighbouring Pakistan to help tackle swarms of crop-eating locusts, according to reports.

Pakistan declared an emergency earlier this month saying locust numbers were the worst in more than two decades.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51658145
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited February 2020
    In 2017 the choice was between a Tory Brexit or a Labour Brexit, and it was very close. Two years later the choice was Brexit or no Brexit, and it was not close at all.
  • Options

DavidL said:

First.

We'd rather win a fair race than pay to be able to cheat!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Against each other! The Chinese have bred 100,000 ducks to combat a plague of locusts.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

DavidL said:

First.

Are there any other forums or sites that operate the PB-style 'single thread at a time' approach? I think it works really well and the current race to be first is one of the minor pleasures of PB, so I do hope you don't sell out to the tempataion of a the multi-£m revenue stream such a notification service would obviously bring in.

If TSE gets joy in cheating, it's the least he can enjoy it for the rest of the work he does here.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    I did.. it was about an article during the week where the chinese are trying to use 100,000 ducks to control 10 billion iirc not million locusts.. the locusts will win
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

China could deploy 100,000 ducks to neighbouring Pakistan to help tackle swarms of crop-eating locusts, according to reports.

Pakistan declared an emergency earlier this month saying locust numbers were the worst in more than two decades.

Bloody hell: floods, pestilence... and now a plague of locusts too.

Are we sure there were only four Horsemen?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51687287

Hmm... Priti Patel worries me.
    She's a disgraced national security risk, Boris Johnson appointing her Home Secretary is another Brexit dividend, along with Dominic 'Calais to Dover is so close' Raab as Foreign Secretary.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

A classic example of whataboutery.
    Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. Always good to nail a classic, but oh dear the libdems what a mess.
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

Extraordinary. I had missed that. But Chinese exports seem to come at a high price these days.
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    I did.. it was about an article during the week where the chinese are trying to use 100,000 ducks to control 10 billion iirc not million locusts.. the locusts will win
    Maybe it was a billion locusts. I cant remember how many there were in the question but it sounded like a lot, so I chose them.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    edited February 2020
    As for the PS - I do think Bernie has it in the bag but the travel requirements and pressures alongside the illness is a large cause for concern.

Its morbid but I would recommending putting money in Bernie's running mate to be the next president.
  • Options
    isam said:

In 2017 the choice was between a Tory Brexit or a Labour Brexit, and it was very close. Two years later the choice was Brexit or no Brexit, and it was not close at all.

no Brexit didn't get that many more votes.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

no Brexit didn't get that many more votes.
    Obviously I am talking about the only two parties that could realistically win
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Maybe it was a billion locusts. I cant remember how many there were in the question but it sounded like a lot, so I chose them.
    whatever the number was .. there are more now!
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

First.

If TSE gets joy in cheating, it's the least he can enjoy it for the rest of the work he does here.
    The absolute joy I get from working on PB is not being first but being picture editor.

I never knew there’d be such joy from choosing a picture to accompany a thread.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    The article from the BBC quotes someone from a Chinese Agricultural College pointing out that these are desert locusts and that ducks rather like water. Sounds like a flaw to me.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Personally I think those that supported and continue to support Johnson, including half of PB commentators, do the country a greater disservice. Johnson is the one we ended up with.

I agree with the topic header. I point out that Tony Blair tacked quite left when he was trying to be leader. Starmer may or may not follow a similar trajectory.

On the PS, Trump was the insurgent who would take America away from the direction it was going in, kick ass, do deals and drain the swamp. Being the incumbent pointing to his record when he hasn't done the deals and drained the swamp.
    I support Johnson because I believe in him, believe in what he's proposing and so do enough other people that he won the second-greatest landslide of my adult lifetime. I fail to see how that's a disservice.
  • Options
    If your Spanish is up to it RTVE have an excellent thread running with up to the minute global covid news providing far more info than BBC or Sky. It’s interesting that they seem to release more detail far quicker in Spain than in the UK.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

Bloody hell: floods, pestilence... and now a plague of locusts too.

Are we sure there were only four Horsemen?
    Terry Pratchett had 5.

Edit and the 5th was Kaos. Or Donald Trump as he is called these days.
  • Options

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

I support Johnson because I believe in him, believe in what he's proposing and so do enough other people that he won the second-greatest landslide of my adult lifetime. I fail to see how that's a disservice.
    He’s a political Del Boy.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited February 2020
    Interesting header. My take as below -

I think Brexit caused Corbyn to overperform in 2017 and underperform in 2019. Take that special factor away, run an election with Corbyn's Labour against Generic Tory, and their par score is 250 seats. Meaning that Corbyn was unelectable but not quite as disastrously so as Dec 12th would superficially imply. Let's go deeper. How many seats did Corbyn the man cost as opposed to his policies? I judge 25. From this we can deduce that Radical Labour with a better leader (e.g. Starmer) wins 275 seats. Now let us lose the 1970s reactionary vibe from the policies, i.e. assume a manifesto that is "socialist" but in a form bespoke tailored for the age we live in. For me, this wins 50 additional seats. So we are now at 325. Not quite there. But not to worry - the next GE will be fought in a climate of intense disenchantment at the state of post Brexit, post Covid Britain. And it will be in a state, such is becoming clear. This delivers a further 30 seats to Labour. 355. A comfortable working majority and a strong mandate for transformational change in favour of neglected people in neglected places. Or to put it another way, Up The Workers! Let's hope they deliver this time.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

You don't mind the lies, then?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

If your Spanish is up to it RTVE have an excellent thread running with up to the minute global covid news providing far more info than BBC or Sky. It’s interesting that they seem to release more detail far quicker in Spain than in the UK.

that's because they are most likely like like Sky and report unchecked "facts" never wrong for long eh!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

What a brilliant initiative! Always assuming it doesn't result in a plague of ducks
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

What a brilliant initiative! Always assuming it doesn't result in a plague of ducks
    It reminded me of this

Once upon a time the Island of Okinawa had a snake problem. It was overrun by vicious, venomous, vipers called habus. They are surly critters, quick to bite, and their venom can kill. So in 1910 someone had the bright idea of importing a few small Asian mongooses, because, as anyone who has read Kipling's Rikki-Tikki-Tavi knows, mongooses are excellent at killing snakes.

The only problem was that the habu is a nocturnal and the mongoose is diurnal, so their paths never really crossed. So instead of fighting snakes the mongooses started eating other reptiles, birds, and insects. Okinawa still has a snake problem, and now it has a mongoose problem as well.
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

BREAKING:

Locusts - 48%
    Ducks - 25%
    Don't Know - 27%

Eliminating the Don't Knows, the Locusts lead 66%:34%
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is, actually.

With 11 MPs, the Lib Dems are just back where they were pre-1981. Labour, by contrast, is back where it was pre-WW2.
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

I have a solution to that which involves pancakes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    The article from the BBC quotes someone from a Chinese Agricultural College pointing out that these are desert locusts and that ducks rather like water. Sounds like a flaw to me.
    Maybe they could find a few bears to shit in the woods.

Might put the locusts off.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is, actually.

With 11 MPs, the Lib Dems are just back where they were pre-1981. Labour, by contrast, is back where it was pre-WW2.
    Which position would you rather be in?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Blimey, that would backfire like like the Cameron "Ashes to Ashes" 'insult' times a million!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

Nothing to worry about: I trust the Chinese implicitly in relation to any dealings with non-human animal species.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is, actually.

On the other hand, the "per candidate" vote share for the LibDems is back to 1950s/60s type levels. The results for that period look worse because the Liberals only stood in about half the seats.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

They eat the ducks afterwards ?
    Apparently each duck can eat 100 locusts a day, and they have been used before with some success. They take out the immature locusts before they can fly.
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

I know an old woman who swallowed a fly....
  • Options
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Blimey, that would backfire like like the Cameron "Ashes to Ashes" 'insult' times a million!
    Fire up the quattro!

That was hilarious.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    A great map showing how China's economy has basically stopped:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146362/airborne-nitrogen-dioxide-plummets-over-china
  • Options
    O/T - Why is the plural of mongoose not mongeeses but mongooses?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    edited February 2020

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Apart from winning the landslide bit, Corbyn supporters use exactly the same words about their man. The disservice is greater with Johnson however precisely because of that landslide result.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is, actually.

Come now, Mr Kojak and Mr Goodhew. I'm sure we can find a comb for each of you... no need to make a scene.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    edited February 2020
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

Following on from this story:

https://www.dw.com/en/china-says-sending-locust-eating-duck-army-to-pakistan-actually-not-the-best-idea/a-52559122

Perhaps not ideal at present in desert conditions, but not completely absurd. Ducks can eat 200 locusts a day.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Apart from winning the landslide bit, Corbyn use exactly the same words about their man. The disservice is greater with Johnson however precisely because of that landslide result.
    And if Corbyn had won an election let alone a very healthy majority then it would be fair enough.

Instead Corbyn and his supporters led to their own side being completely marginalised and power going to their opponents. To the victor goes the spoils.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

https://www.dw.com/en/china-says-sending-locust-eating-duck-army-to-pakistan-actually-not-the-best-idea/a-52559122

Perhaps not ideal at present in desert conditions, but not completely absurd. Ducks can eat 200 locusts a day.
    So can humans. They fry up quite nicely, allegedly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    On topic, 2017 is the only time I've ever voted Labour.
  • Options

Aren't the etymologies different for goose (Old English) and mongoose (Hindi)?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is, actually.

Missionary.
  • Options

For the same reason he wasn't called Rikkus Tikkus Tavus.
  • Options

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

You don't mind the lies, then?
    I don't see lies, I see differences of opinion most of the time people claim a so-called lie.
  • Options
    RobD said:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146362/airborne-nitrogen-dioxide-plummets-over-china

Wonder how many will be saved the other way by the cut in air pollution?
  • Options

Aren't the etymologies different for goose (Old English) and mongoose (Hindi)?
    IshmaelZ said:

For the same reason he wasn't called Rikkus Tikkus Tavus.
    Thank you both.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is, actually.

On the other hand, the "per candidate" vote share for the LibDems is back to 1950s/60s type levels. The results for that period look worse because the Liberals only stood in about half the seats.
    True - although not all that far off other recent elections:

Year - MPs - candidates - % - votes/candidate

2019 - 11 - 611 - 11.6 - 6050
    2017 - 12 - 629 - 7.4 - 3771
    2015 - 8 - 631 - 7.9 - 3829
    2010 - 57 - 631 - 23.0 - 10835
    2005 - 62 - 626 - 22.0 - 9561
    2001 - 52 - 639 - 18.3 - 7534
    1997 - 46 - 639 - 16.8 - 8205
    1992 - 20 - 632 - 17.8 - 9493
    1987 - 22 - 633 - 22.6 - 11598
    1983 - 23 - 636 - 25.4 - 12256
    1979 - 11 - 577 - 13.8 - 7476
    1974O - 13 - 619 - 18.3 - 8638
    1974F - 14 - 517 - 19.3 - 11721
    1970 - 6 - 332 - 7.5 - 6377
    1966 - 12 - 311 - 8.5 - 7484
    1964 - 9 - 365 - 11.2 - 8491
    1959 - 6 - 216 - 5.9 -7596
    1955 - 6 - 110 - 2.7 - 6567
    1951 - 6 - 109 - 2.6 - 6702
    1950 - 9 - 475 - 9.1 - 5519
    1945 - 12 - 306 - 9.0 - 7117
    1935 - 21 - 161 - 6.7 - 8783
    1931 - 33 - 112 - 6.5 - 12023
    1929 - 59 - 513 - 23.6 - 9951
    1924 - 40 - 339 - 17.8 - 8315
    1923 - 158 - 457 - 29.7 - 9037
    1922 - 62 - 334 - 18.9 - 7789
    1918 - 36 - 277 - 13.0 - 4893
    1910D - 271 - 467 - 43.2 - 4619
    1910J - 274 - 511 - 40.9 - 5308
    1906 - 397 - 528 - 48.9 - 4859
    1900 - 183 - 402 - 44.7 - 3911
    1895 - 177 - 447 - 45.7 - 3949
    1892 - 271 - 535 - 45.4 - 3903
    1886 - 191 - 449 - 45.5 - 3015
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

That just isn’t cricket.
    (That’s a really subtle and clever joke... but since I’m explaining it, it might not be).
  • Options

My model has r^2 = 0.998 for the past 14 days' worth of coronavirus cases outside China. If it continues to fit, we'll get:
    2 March 10700
    5 March 23700
    7 March 42400
    9 March 79100
    12 March 217000
    10^6th case 17 March
    10^7th case, 22 March
    10^8th case, 27 March
    10^9th case, 31 March
    ...and as bad as it's going to get, wrt no. of people infected, 4 April.
    Happy Easter!

10^10 is more than there are actual people, surely?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

DavidL said:

First.

OGH selling indulgences. Could lead to a PB reformation.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Fire up the quattro!

That was hilarious.
    At the time I voted Labour and was arguing that it was better to have someone dour and unflashy like Gordo in charge at a time of such crisis. I convinced myself the public felt the same too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Those are truly remarkable images. Just astonishing.
  • Options

nichomar said:

that's because they are most likely like like Sky and report unchecked "facts" never wrong for long eh!
    Actually most of what they report is from government sources around the world with little speculation. One of the most interesting set of infections is from those that went to Milan for a football match on 19/2 which has resulted in 10 cases to date all but one went to the game but there is now signs of transmission on return. Weather in Valencia very much like a UK spring.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

Interesting header. My take as below -

I think Brexit caused Corbyn to overperform in 2017 and underperform in 2019. Take that special factor away, run an election with Corbyn's Labour against Generic Tory, and their par score is 250 seats. Meaning that Corbyn was unelectable but not quite as disastrously so as Dec 12th would superficially imply. Let's go deeper. How many seats did Corbyn the man cost as opposed to his policies? I judge 25. From this we can deduce that Radical Labour with a better leader (e.g. Starmer) wins 275 seats. Now let us lose the 1970s reactionary vibe from the policies, i.e. assume a manifesto that is "socialist" but in a form bespoke tailored for the age we live in. For me, this wins 50 additional seats. So we are now at 325. Not quite there. But not to worry - the next GE will be fought in a climate of intense disenchantment at the state of post Brexit, post Covid Britain. And it will be in a state, such is becoming clear. This delivers a further 30 seats to Labour. 355. A comfortable working majority and a strong mandate for transformational change in favour of neglected people in neglected places. Or to put it another way, Up The Workers! Let's hope they deliver this time.

This would require the largest swing in history.

I think a minority Government is possible on a 5.5% swing, with a pact with the LDs - but a majority Government seems impossible.

Although I never thought the SNP would win a landslide in 2015, so perhaps they collapse over the next five years, who knows.

A minority Government seems feasible.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    RobD said:

CoVid-19 -> economic slump -> cleaner air -> improved health outcomes.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

BREAKING:

Locusts - 48%
    Ducks - 25%
    Don't Know - 27%

That question is the equivalent of a maths question as to who would win a Grahams number of SAS or a Tree(3) number of ants .?
    Grahams Number and Tree(3) are notorious in maths as being massive uncomputable numbers that have been used in maths proofs!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

So can humans. They fry up quite nicely, allegedly.
    I think China moved past cannibalism after the cultural revolution.
  • Options

RobD said:

Wonder how many will be saved the other way by the cut in air pollution?
    Likewise people taking more care about hygiene and learning how to wash their hands correctly.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

Those are truly remarkable images. Just astonishing.
    We need to factor in the lives saved by this lack of pollution when worrying about the virus!

The lack of every cloud...
  • Options
    Do we think the Tories will hit 50% of the vote in 2024?
  • Options

Not a chance.

Why are you even asking ?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    What would happen, in practice, if the Home Office Civil Service went on strike, or a 9-5 work to rule?
  • Options

Not a chance.

Their vote share keeps going up.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

My model has r^2 = 0.998 for the past 14 days' worth of coronavirus cases outside China. If it continues to fit, we'll get:
    2 March 10700
    5 March 23700
    7 March 42400
    9 March 79100
    12 March 217000
    10^6th case 17 March
    10^7th case, 22 March
    10^8th case, 27 March
    10^9th case, 31 March
    ...and as bad as it's going to get, wrt no. of people infected, 4 April.
    Happy Easter!

10^10 is more than there are actual people, surely?
    Yes it is - hence the comment for 4 April rather than the figure.
    Ah!

Presumably if you did a similar sum for the rate at which rabbits breed, since rabbits first evolved, you could show that the amount of rabbit mass would by now have become enough to turn the planet into a star.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited February 2020

Not a chance.

Their vote share keeps going up.
    The FTSE 100 kept going up.

EDIT: .. until it didn't.
  • Options

Not a chance.

Sadly I think it's so, in 4 years time, people can say "PB Tories were predicting 50%" when Boris starts his second term having got just over 40%
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

What would happen, in practice, if the Home Office Civil Service went on strike, or a 9-5 work to rule?
    Would anyone notice?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited February 2020

This would require the largest swing in history.

I think a minority Government is possible on a 5.5% swing, with a pact with the LDs - but a majority Government seems impossible.

Although I never thought the SNP would win a landslide in 2015, so perhaps they collapse over the next five years, who knows.

A minority Government seems feasible.

That is the realistic target, I agree. But the wild card factor is just how bad it might get in this country over the next few years. And if so, how much skill and competence does the government have to draw upon to mitigate and manage it. There is more than a whiff of inadequacy around this administration and - in particular - around this PM. An 80 seat majority, yes, but I sense feet of clay. It won't take much to blow this house down and what's coming will IMO be more than sufficient.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Yes, it sounds horrendously dyfunctional - but I am not sure that builds a case for constructive dismissal.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

Err, win what?
    Win Pakistan.

BREAKING:

Locusts - 48%
    Ducks - 25%
    Don't Know - 27%

Anyone not answering dont know doesnt know the definition of dont know.
This discussion has been closed.