Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Can anyone stop Sanders – looking at the contenders one by one

Comments

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eadric said:

This is barely believable. At some point, surely, American voters will punish their politicians for such incompetence

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1233455622680727553?s=20

Harsh to call that incompetence. Dx tests are being designed, manufactured and validated very fast. It is better to feed up and say that the current tests are out of spec than to ignite the issue
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,536
    RobD said:

Foxy said:
    This thing sounds incredibly contagious. Unless they were all kissing or something.
    Incredibly contagious and with an extremely steep variation in lethality by age.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622

Why did both the sars virus and this one begin in China ? It's the coming superpower and at the centre of globalisation, so whatever the answer is it's very important.

All those funny goings on with live animals and medicine
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited February 2020
    IanB2 said:

mmmmmm, I like it when articles confirm my biases.

Why Liberals and Atheists Are More Intelligent
    https://personal.lse.ac.uk/kanazawa/pdfs/SPQ2010.pdf

The gist of it seems to be that the less intelligent, aware of their limitations, realise that the optimum strategy is to ape the values of those around them, whereas the more intelligent have the intellectual confidence to strike out on their own.

How this works in a majority liberal atheist society is the question.
    Indeed. Atheism or at least strong secularism is virtually a consensus among the majority younger population in the Britain of the 21st century , sometimes aggressively so.
    IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Chameleon said:

The one issue with the Corona Doomers from a few weeks ago is that they seem to have largely been proven right on what the situation would look like now.

I'd class myself as one of those doomers. It was fairly easy to predict the opening salvo of this virus.

What is almost now impossible to predict is the scale and scope of this pandemic. But every facet of life will be changed or touched by this.

Brexit is a mere gnat on an elephants backside compared to the impact of this virus.
    The one thing more contagious than coronavirus is hysteria. This hysteria outbreak really has become contagious it seems.
    Yep, it is the hysteria and media who have caused massive losses for investors rather tha the virus itself.
    It seems to me that the pessimists are making sober factual statements about the real world which turn out to be true (the disease will spread, people will die, markets will fall) while the anti-pessimists (they lack the jollity to be called optimists) are getting stuck in to a Trump type meta narrative about fake news and motive and hysteria. Blaming market falls on hysteria when the entirely factual shutdown of much of Chinese industry and the worldwide travel and holiday industry are in play is not rational and not likely to do you any good. Indeed, you are in danger of inflicting serious losses on yourself if you start actually believing that it is a whimsical, sentiment thing which could go into reverse at any moment.
    The realists are saying it will spread, people will die and markets with fall. The hysterics are saying hundreds of thousands will die and we are all doomed

IanB2 said:

The gist of it seems to be that the less intelligent, aware of their limitations, realise that the optimum strategy is to ape the values of those around them, whereas the more intelligent have the intellectual confidence to strike out on their own.

Indeed. Atheism or at least strong secularism is virtually a consensus among the majority younger population in Britain in this century , sometimes aggressively so.
    Which in my view is tremendous progress from the stultified religiosity of society in the post war decades.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the US.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Chameleon said:

The one issue with the Corona Doomers from a few weeks ago is that they seem to have largely been proven right on what the situation would look like now.

I'd class myself as one of those doomers. It was fairly easy to predict the opening salvo of this virus.

What is almost now impossible to predict is the scale and scope of this pandemic. But every facet of life will be changed or touched by this.

Brexit is a mere gnat on an elephants backside compared to the impact of this virus.
    The one thing more contagious than coronavirus is hysteria. This hysteria outbreak really has become contagious it seems.
    Yep, it is the hysteria and media who have caused massive losses for investors rather tha the virus itself.
    It seems to me that the pessimists are making sober factual statements about the real world which turn out to be true (the disease will spread, people will die, markets will fall) while the anti-pessimists (they lack the jollity to be called optimists) are getting stuck in to a Trump type meta narrative about fake news and motive and hysteria. Blaming market falls on hysteria when the entirely factual shutdown of much of Chinese industry and the worldwide travel and holiday industry are in play is not rational and not likely to do you any good. Indeed, you are in danger of inflicting serious losses on yourself if you start actually believing that it is a whimsical, sentiment thing which could go into reverse at any moment.
    The realists are saying it will spread, people will die and markets with fall. The hysterics are saying hundreds of thousands will die and we are all doomed
    I don't see anyone saying anything approximating to "we are all doomed," and I will be astonished if in a years time the worldwide mortality from this is under 200,000.

Why did both the sars virus and this one begin in China ? It's the coming superpower and at the centre of globalisation, so whatever the answer is it's very important.

The plague always seems to come from China

https://web.archive.org/web/20101104083917/http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/health/01plague.html

Plague is bacterial not viral, but the common link seems to be that it comes from animal hosts in China.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    IanB2 said:

Except on that article religious Jews actually have well above average intelligence
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Except on that article religious Jews actually have well above average intelligence
    Well they are a minority in both US and UK
    edited February 2020
    US markets are clawing back losses since open and it looks like the day will close relatively flat (most of the drop having been baked in pre-opening trading).

Apart from yesterday’s pre-closing sink, i have called things pretty close this week, a little bit of instinct but mostly good luck. Since I am not any the wiser as to what might happen next week. My default case is a lot of dicking about averaging at a slow drift down to 24000.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,106
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. Atheism or at least strong secularism is virtually a consensus among the majority younger population in Britain in this century , sometimes aggressively so.
    Which in my view is tremendous progress from the stultified religiosity of society in the post war decades.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the US.
    I do swing myself from anyone who is religious is fundamentally a fucking moron.....to live and let live....and I'm not sure about the universe.

But the theological stuff is just bobbins...unless one really does believe in tooth fairies....
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,659
    Evening all :)

This may be the End of Days and perhaps some evidence from the idiotic pronouncements doing the rounds in the newspapers.

Tonight's star offering was the ludicrous pledge from Conservative London Mayoral Candidate Shaun Bailey he will increase the size of the Met to 40,000 officers making London's Police force larger than that of New York or Paris.

The Met is gaining new officers - around 2,000 this year, 1400 or so from central Government funding reversing the cuts of the Coalition years and 600 from extra funds found by Sadiq Khan.

That would bring the Met's strength up to about 33,000 officers so Bailey is going to magic another 7,000 out of thin air - not so much the Magic Money Tree as the Magic Copper Tree.

So how is all this to be paid for? Well, removing the free travel privilege for the families of TfL staff seems to be his starting point with a hotel levy of 1% of the cost of a room looking to fund another 734 officers.

The problem is each Met officer costs about £65k per year (salary is £38k) once you factor in pension payments and the cost of equipment and training.

Bailey is playing on the fact he is a Conservative and only he can get a good deal out of a Conservative Government - I suspect that won't cut much ice either.

In context, the Met has been forced to make £850 million of savings since 2010 explaining why stations were closed and officer numbers fell below 30,000. I'm trying to remember which Party has been in power since 2010.

Violent crime and especially knife crime is a serious matter requiring serious debate and sensible proposals - unfortunately and perhaps inevitably all we are seeing is a dutch auction on Police numbers.
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749
    IanB2 said:

US markets are clawing back losses since open and it looks like the day will close relatively flat (most of the drop having been baked in pre-opening trading).

Apart from yesterday’s pre-closing sink, i have called things pretty close this week, a little bit of instinct but mostly good luck. Since I am not any the wiser as to what might happen next week. My default case is a lot of dicking about averaging at a slow drift down to 24000.

Because people don’t know what’s going to happen next it’s silly to gamble one way or another on the roulette wheels of capitalism.

But we do know what’s going to happen next, more and more cases and pandemic on health services run to the bone and poor place to cope. The governments of US and U.K. are not up to this job, will put freedom of choice and business and money saving ahead of peoples lives. And that’s the way you should have placed the bets today. You’ve screwed up.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Chameleon said:

Exactly.

The markets (already in a record bull run and set for a correction) are reacting rationally to very bad economic news, such as this:

https://twitter.com/mvollmer1/status/1233089988167897088?s=20

This isn't hysteria, it's cold hard data.

But I'm done for today. Gin!

It is comparing full Feb 2019 with only two weeks of Feb 2020, so it's practically a LibDem bar chart.

(Although I will grant you that there will be a very, very significant drop off in things like new car sales. I'm hoping some people cancel some Taycans, and I can get one for a big discount to list.)
    Not getting a Model X?
    I own an original Roadster and I used to have a Model S.

The reviews of the Taycan have been excellent, so why not?
    Nowhere near as efficient as Tesla, so not great range.
    The real world evidence is that they are nearly identical: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30874032/porsche-taycan-range-test-tesla-model-s/
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,659
    Having travelled home on Britain's mobile germ warfare laboratory known as the London Underground, I can report not a single face mask in evidence but I got a seat at Tower Hill so onto the petri dish I sat.

As an aside, I cannot see any form of self-isolation working in London. Too many need to work and literally cannot afford a day off. Even if sick, they will try to travel to wherever they work because they need the money.
    egg said:

IanB2 said:

Because people don’t know what’s going to happen next it’s silly to gamble one way or another on the roulette wheels of capitalism.

But we do know what’s going to happen next, more and more cases and pandemic on health services run to the bone and poor place to cope. The governments of US and U.K. are not up to this job, will put freedom of choice and business and money saving ahead of peoples lives. And that’s the way you should have placed the bets today. You’ve screwed up.
    Which would point to maintaining a sell position in the markets, which I am, at a very modest level.

The pre-close Friday buying suggests optimism that next week will bring better news, or at least a more level headed appraisal of the risks both to health and the economy. Like you I am sceptical things will turn that quickly.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Does anyone have any inside track on this Surrey link? The first case caught inside the UK.

Having been to Malaysia and then Surrey in the last week I'm sort-of-curious ...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    For any of our train chums on here, I travelled from Paddington to Totnes with Alexa Stott, who was a huge figure in getting the A1 steam train Tornado No. 60163 finally up and running.

She is now heavily involved with Barrow Hill Roundhouse.
    And unfortunately for Boris Johnson this is just the sort of crisis when he looks like the total schmuck that most of us knew he was.

Tony Blair in this situation would have had gravitas.

In fact, Jeremy Hunt was the true statesman today.
    nichomar said:

Why do news outlets not say where the recent infections are? We know it’s a GP in surrey but the news just says another case in the uk.

"He was a patient at Haselmere Health Centre in Surrey, in south-east England, which has been closed for "deep cleaning" since Friday morning."
    BBC News

For any of our train chums on here, I travelled from Paddington to Totnes with Alexa Stott, who was a huge figure in getting the A1 steam train Tornado No. 60163 finally up and running.

What did you ask her?

And unfortunately for Boris Johnson this is just the sort of crisis when he looks like the total schmuck that most of us knew he was.

We can stare forward into these coming years of plague and quite accurately predict the impact on our politics. For NHS, where the doctors and nurses will pay a price for their professionalism and care. For politicians, lolling on their benches and grace and favour stately homes responsible for the NHS in the run up to the coming crisis. for Brexit of its supporters not surviving Corona Crisis the next few years. I don’t want to invoke the Ghost of Grabcoque, so I will explain this as unemotive as possible and without any real wish to, at the moment Boris pressing ahead with 55% of the voters against it, it varies whether hard or soft Brexit was actually on the ballot and voted for or not which is not something not one of us can or can’t prove, however that 55% against may leap to 75% against comparing the demographics of Brexit support to demographics at risk from Corona. Tell me I’m wrong. Show me where they have actually released ages of those who have died so far. This is a bit morbid, maybe we shouldn’t even discuss this element of the potential change to politics, however this is exactly what happened during the black death, is it not? the landscape of land ownership and wealth and the impact of wealth on power changed considerably?

We have to consider the political implications of Corona Crisis from its economics. BREXIT CAN’T HAPPEN. We JUST CANNOT take on the economic and financial turmoil of the Brexit change in the middle of Corona Recession. Brexit has to be paused. And it will be paused. Start betting on it.
    Here's my question.

The Diamond Princess, in its marketing material, did it describe it as a "Once in a lifetime cruise"?
    IanB2 said:

What did you ask her?
    Oh we chatted for a couple of hours. Apparently there is now a project to build an even bigger loco, a Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales, but she is not actively involved with that.

nichomar said:

Why do news outlets not say where the recent infections are? We know it’s a GP in surrey but the news just says another case in the uk.

"He was a patient at Haselmere Health Centre in Surrey, in south-east England, which has been closed for "deep cleaning" since Friday morning."
    BBC News
    Isn’t that NickP’s patch?
    IanB2 said:

What did you ask her?
    “Are you going to finish those fries or can I have them?”
  • nichomar said:

BBC News
    That is creepy in the sense that the BBC and the lovely Hannah Fry did a contagion experiment using Haselmere as its test town only last year
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    egg said:

We can stare forward into these coming years of plague and quite accurately predict the impact on our politics. For NHS, where the doctors and nurses will pay a price for their professionalism and care. For politicians, lolling on their benches and grace and favour stately homes responsible for the NHS in the run up to the coming crisis. for Brexit of its supporters not surviving Corona Crisis the next few years. I don’t want to invoke the Ghost of Grabcoque, so I will explain this as unemotive as possible and without any real wish to, at the moment Boris pressing ahead with 55% of the voters against it, it varies whether hard or soft Brexit was actually on the ballot and voted for or not which is not something not one of us can or can’t prove, however that 55% against may leap to 75% against comparing the demographics of Brexit support to demographics at risk from Corona. Tell me I’m wrong. Show me where they have actually released ages of those who have died so far. This is a bit morbid, maybe we shouldn’t even discuss this element of the potential change to politics, however this is exactly what happened during the black death, is it not? the landscape of land ownership and wealth and the impact of wealth on power changed considerably?

We have to consider the political implications of Corona Crisis from its economics. BREXIT CAN’T HAPPEN. We JUST CANNOT take on the economic and financial turmoil of the Brexit change in the middle of Corona Recession. Brexit has to be paused. And it will be paused. Start betting on it.
    Lol. Very good.

IanB2 said:

What did you ask her?
    Oh we chatted for a couple of hours. Apparently there is now a project to build an even bigger loco, a Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales, but she is not actively involved with that.
    At least you got beyond “is it going to rain” and “where’s my stuff?” ;)
  • rcs1000 said:

Here's my question.

The Diamond Princess, in its marketing material, did it describe it as a "Once in a lifetime cruise"?

It was on our 33 day Vancouver to Beijing cruise 5 years ago and it is so sad to see it at the centre of this crisis
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,200
    We're at the pub debating the effect this virus will have on the global economy. So far it's not looking good for China, we think big international companies will diversify supply chains away from China and it's going to cause a long term slowdown in growth for them to normal 2-4% per year like western economies.

It's also looking good for Germany, after an initial shock companies will have to purchase capital goods in massive amounts to ramp up production in non-Chinese locations. Japan, the UK and US will also benefit from this, Japan specifically will do better than expected as a lot of semi-manufactured goods production is expected to be onshored and automated.

This is also going to change the nature of global travel, some people think that airports will introduce body temperature scanners as standard in addition to the normal security checks. Any passenger out of the ordinary will need to be tested for infectious diseases before they can board.

Does anyone have any inside track on this Surrey link? The first case caught inside the UK.

Having been to Malaysia and then Surrey in the last week I'm sort-of-curious ...

Are you religious mystic? Plagues of locust meaning people have to migrate to Europe because there is no food at home. The shadow of disease we have no cure for enveloping the earth, carried on the desperate and the hungry.

we are not in Europe we have water round us.

really with the boats abandoned on British beaches, lorry’s slowing at roundabout in Cotswolds and people jumping off the back, and those poor souls frozen and asphyxiated the Irish Mafia were trafficking we would never have known about if they hadn’t messed up and murdered them, we have not had a government in last ten years interested in stopping illegal immigration, they cut all the money to it and haven’t added it back! When the truck slows at Milton Keynes roundabout and three people leap off, there’s your superspreaders. The result is the government gets the blame, or illegal immigrants get an even worse reputation: we can even run a sweepstake day and time Katie Hopkins will tweet “they killed my granny, shoot them like the vermin they are”. ☹
    rcs1000 said:

Here's my question.

Or say anything about bucket lists?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583
    MaxPB said:

We're at the pub debating the effect this virus will have on the global economy. So far it's not looking good for China, we think big international companies will diversify supply chains away from China and it's going to cause a long term slowdown in growth for them to normal 2-4% per year like western economies.

It's also looking good for Germany, after an initial shock companies will have to purchase capital goods in massive amounts to ramp up production in non-Chinese locations. Japan, the UK and US will also benefit from this, Japan specifically will do better than expected as a lot of semi-manufactured goods production is expected to be onshored and automated.

This is also going to change the nature of global travel, some people think that airports will introduce body temperature scanners as standard in addition to the normal security checks. Any passenger out of the ordinary will need to be tested for infectious diseases before they can board.

If it incubates for two weeks the body temperature scanners will be useless.
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

If it incubates for two weeks the body temperature scanners will be useless.
    The scanners are there to make people feel safe, not to actually stop anything from happening. Much like those other scanners and stopping liquids etc...
  • egg said:

I suspect it is even more likely
  • IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's my question.

Or say anything about bucket lists?
    Well it does have DI in its name!

Surely appointing Jeremy Hunt virus supremo is going to be the first order of business for Cobra on Monday morning? Anything else would be stupid. Matt Hancock may feel his nose a little out of joint but this is absolutely not just a health issue. What schools are to shut and when? What should border security be doing? What businesses are going to get support? What sporting events can go ahead, if any? So many different departments have roles to play here. The government needs to be seen to be on top of this if panic is to be avoided.
    On topic there is absolutely no way a brokered convention beats Trump. If Bernie should get it, Bernie denied it, Trump wins. Bernie supporters won’t vote for the stitch up nominee. So you have to ask what is the true motive of democrats who travel that way? Trump less of a problem to them than liberal left.
    edited February 2020
    egg said:

Are you religious mystic? Plagues of locust meaning people have to migrate to Europe because there is no food at home. The shadow of disease we have no cure for enveloping the earth, carried on the desperate and the hungry.

we are not in Europe we have water round us.

really with the boats abandoned on British beaches, lorry’s slowing at roundabout in Cotswolds and people jumping off the back, and those poor souls frozen and asphyxiated the Irish Mafia were trafficking we would never have known about if they hadn’t messed up and murdered them, we have not had a government in last ten years interested in stopping illegal immigration, they cut all the money to it and haven’t added it back! When the truck slows at Milton Keynes roundabout and three people leap off, there’s your superspreaders. The result is the government gets the blame, or illegal immigrants get an even worse reputation: we can even run a sweepstake day and time Katie Hopkins will tweet “they killed my granny, shoot them like the vermin they are”. ☹
    It’s so predictable what happens next 😕 🙁 ☹️.
  • Today's update from Italy

884 total infected so far

Out of them

21 died
    46 already healed
    64 are in intensive care
    345 are in hospital
    412 are at home

Milan's Cathedral and Genova's Aquarium are set to re-open on Monday. Schools are likely to stay close for another week in Lombardy, Emilia and Veneto. University lessons suspened for another week in Lombardy.
  • MaxPB said:

I think you're rather overegging it. China has it seems successfully contained this in Hubei province and I think long-term it will make negligible difference to China. Plants in Shanghai etc are already getting back to normal.

As this spreads around the world right now South Korea, Iran and Italy are now the troublesome spots and from there it can spread to other places too. China may have been "patient zero" here but long term the Chinese will be back up and running.

Out of them

21 died
    46 already healed
    64 are in intensive care
    345 are in hospital
    412 are at home

Milan's Cathedral and Genova's Aquarium are set to re-open on Monday. Schools are likely to stay close for another week in Lombardy, Emilia and Veneto. University lessons suspened for another week in Lombardy.

Nice to see the vital services of praying and looking at fish are being prioritised.
    DavidL said:

Surely appointing Jeremy Hunt virus supremo is going to be the first order of business for Cobra on Monday morning? Anything else would be stupid. Matt Hancock may feel his nose a little out of joint but this is absolutely not just a health issue. What schools are to shut and when? What should border security be doing? What businesses are going to get support? What sporting events can go ahead, if any? So many different departments have roles to play here. The government needs to be seen to be on top of this if panic is to be avoided.
    Quite agree.

Johnson's in for a rough ride in the newspapers this weekend I fancy.
    egg said:

On topic there is absolutely no way a brokered convention beats Trump. If Bernie should get it, Bernie denied it, Trump wins. Bernie supporters won’t vote for the stitch up nominee. So you have to ask what is the true motive of democrats who travel that way? Trump less of a problem to them than liberal left.

Normally I would agree with you, but I think coronavirus throws everything up in the air.
  • DavidL said:

Can he do that without resigning the chair of the Health Select Committee?
  • rcs1000 said:

egg said:

Normally I would agree with you, but I think coronavirus throws everything up in the air.
    But now Pence is in charge in the US all will be fine.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    tlg86 said:

Identity of @Dura_Ace revealed:

https://tinyurl.com/yx3qn8a7

Man called Astin Martin drove Ford Fiesta at 93mph in a 30 zone

A dangerous driver has been taken to court after he took police on a 93mph chase in a 30mph zone. Ford Fiesta-driving Astin Martin O’Brien was already serving a ban and had no licence or insurance when he was spotted driving ‘incredibly dangerously’ around the streets of Ashington, Northumberland. After being stopped he refused to give a breath sample and officers soon learned that he had 31 convictions.

Ford Fiesta? Fuck off.

I have done over 90 in a 30 on my Agusta though. There could have been kids there and everything.
  • The Brit who is now the worlds oldest man looks younger than Bernie

MaxPB said:

I think you're rather overegging it. China has it seems successfully contained this in Hubei province and I think long-term it will make negligible difference to China. Plants in Shanghai etc are already getting back to normal.

As this spreads around the world right now South Korea, Iran and Italy are now the troublesome spots and from there it can spread to other places too. China may have been "patient zero" here but long term the Chinese will be back up and running.
    No one around the table believes that China actually have it under control. Most people have experience working in China or with Chinese companies. The feeling is that the government are forcing people back into work to save face and reboot the economy but in the end it will result in an even larger breakout down the road.

egg said:

I suspect it is even more likely
    ...a pandemic that changes the fundamental nature of the state would make Brexit...or party politics or Boris Johnson or Corbyn... absolutely meaningless.....,

This coronavirus cloud should make us all feel lucky that we have lived through a stable period of peace and prosperity these last decades....let's hope it continues, but if it doesn't history tells us things never last...at some point we have to face catastrophic setbacks..and this may well be one....
  • egg said:

IanB2 said:

LOL you're funny. Clearly not hard boiled, you're very soft today.
  • DavidL said:

Quite agree.

I was highly critical of him on this forum earlier and indeed two days ago

He is getting away with it partly due to labour's idiotic leadership race going on until the 4th April and partly because he is Boris

He needs to step up to the plate on both the floods and covid 19 otherwise the narrative he is lazy or does not care will take hold

I am not impressed with him over this
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,660
    egg said:

It already has happened. Wishful thinking doesn’t change that.
  • DavidL said:

Can he do that without resigning the chair of the Health Select Committee?
    I would expect he would have to resign that role
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No one around the table believes that China actually have it under control. Most people have experience working in China or with Chinese companies. The feeling is that the government are forcing people back into work to save face and reboot the economy but in the end it will result in an even larger breakout down the road.
    Perhaps, but the WTO are siding with the Chinese. Are they in on it too?

I think you've got it backwards. I think the Chinese more than anyone know whats at stake and when they're prepared to weld doors shut in Hubei I don't for one second think they're forcing the sick into work to save face.

They know whats at stake here and will do whatever it takes to stamp this out of China. Whatever it takes.
  • DavidL said:

Quite agree.

He is getting away with it partly due to labour's idiotic leadership race going on until the 4th April and partly because he is Boris

He needs to step up to the plate on both the floods and covid 19 otherwise the narrative he is lazy or does not care will take hold

Not sure what he is supposed to do - The UK is managing better at the moment than most countries
    rcs1000 said:

egg said:

"Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton. Not going to happen, we’ve moved on from the 1952 Democrat convention – they are much wider affairs now. Delegate horse trading would be between existing candidates."

Except... I cannot see the point of horse trading between existing candidates who those same delegates KNOW will lose to Trump. And neither will they.

Imagine if the Democrats could instead hold out the prospect of an Obama back in the White House....
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,394

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Boris is characteristically rubbish and it’s somehow Labour’s fault. :neutral:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Something tells me he is not taking your resignation threats seriously.

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

The UK is managing better at the moment than most countries
    I have an awful feeling that post isn't going to age well.

And I desperately hope I'm wrong.
  • tyson said:

...a pandemic that changes the fundamental nature of the state would make Brexit...or party politics or Boris Johnson or Corbyn... absolutely meaningless.....,

This coronavirus cloud should make us all feel lucky that we have lived through a stable period of peace and prosperity these last decades....let's hope it continues, but if it doesn't history tells us things never last...at some point we have to face catastrophic setbacks..and this may well be one....

Indeed and if even you thinks Brexit is absolutely meaningless then all the more reason for Johnson to get on with it now. The idea of postponing the Brexit transition end until its the only story we talk about is for the birds. If Brexit transition ends while we're all still talking about coronavirus then so much the better - showed as I always said that the fears on Brexit were overblown and now people have newer overblown fears to stoke instead.

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Not sure what he is supposed to do - The UK is managing better at the moment than most countries

To be fair...I think Boris will actually be OK if it all goes tits up...a touch of bullshitty, sunny, stiff upper lip optimism would go along way...

And you are right...what else could he be doing now.??
  • Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Well Labour share much of the credit for him having an 80 seat majority don't you think?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,660

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Well Labour share much of the credit for him having an 80 seat majority don't you think?
    They won the argument.

They get a free badge for it, apparently.
  • DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Just be more visual.

Not necessarily visiting the floods but being on the media reassuring people.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think you've got it backwards. I think the Chinese more than anyone know whats at stake and when they're prepared to weld doors shut in Hubei I don't for one second think they're forcing the sick into work to save face.

They know whats at stake here and will do whatever it takes to stamp this out of China. Whatever it takes.
    Your faith in the WHO and China is oddly misplaced. China is driven by saving face, not the safety of its people. People are expendable in China.
  • Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

He is not being held to account by the opposition, surely even you can see that
  • IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Something tells me he is not taking your resignation threats seriously.
    I am not threatening resignation, I am critical of his poor PR
  • DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Indeed. This is the problem with political obsessives used to a 24/7 media.

The UK is leading the world in how to deal with this. Thousands of tests happening, hospitable quarantines underway, separated treatment for the infected, 111 dealing with concerns, regular briefings to the media. I don't think there's a nation dealing with it better.

It seems to me the government and the NHS have this under control at the minute and they need to keep up the good work. Daily photo ops of the PM getting in the NHS staffs way doesn't seem like something to improve health when they have better things to do.

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Just be more visual.

I don't know what difference that would make. Do you think Mrs Thatcher would get on TV for a few floods or give a Downing Street address because of a bad flu season?

As long as the government acts correctly to prevent a mass outbreak of the plague then I don't think anyone will really care that he wasn't on TV.
  • tyson said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

To be fair...I think Boris will actually be OK if it all goes tits up...a touch of bullshitty, sunny, stiff upper lip optimism would go along way...

Being visual and to be fair he has been across the media this evening
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Chameleon said:

I don't see anyone saying anything approximating to "we are all doomed," and I will be astonished if in a years time the worldwide mortality from this is under 200,000.
    @eadric with his insistence on 400k dead in the UK alone, with @GideonWise not far behind.

I’m not convinced by your number but it is certainly plausible

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Just be more visual.

Unless, a month, two months down the road, clips of Boris assuring people "don't worry, Britain, we'll be fine" might be the most damaging clips that could be played against him. And he is privately being briefed that we won't be fine...

tyson said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Boris would be alright in a crisis...better than Theresa May or Gordon Brown who would just make you feel like all is lost from the get go....

I can see the photo ops now of Boris wearing a mask doing ward rounds and chairing a govt of national unity
  • MaxPB said:

Your faith in the WHO and China is oddly misplaced. China is driven by saving face, not the safety of its people. People are expendable in China.
    I agree with your premise but disagree with your conclusion.

People are expendable in China. So if the Chinese had a hint that another city had the disease they would quarantine it ruthlessly and effectively. The "trolley problem" is not an issue in China - if they knew sacrificing (quarantining) one city would save the rest of China they would 100% do it as ruthlessly as necessary.

The Chinese are prepared to sacrifice what we would consider human rights in order to quarantine those at risk and protect the others. The infected or at risk of being infected are expendable to spend weeks in quarantine to save the rest of China.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,777

MaxPB said:

It looks to have peaked in China, though of course the figures may not be reliable. So it looks like 3 months to peak, and probably a similar amount or more to resolve.

This is going to be with us all year, and will be quite an economic hit, because severe restrictions and shutdowns will be needed. Probably peak with UK and USA in June/July.
  • Charles said:

So the EU attempt on sequencing is justified by what exactly?

It's not justified by anything. In fact if you wanted to point the finger at the most important reasons why implementation of Brexit is turning into such a disaster for both sides then after the absurd internal contradictions of the Vote Leave campaign, and Boris' dishonesty, the EU obsession with sequencing would be high on the list. A large part of the disaster arises because they insisted on doing things exactly backwards: instead of the rational sequence of agreeing the final destination first, and then discussing how we get there and how to protect Ireland in the process, they insisted on agreeing the withdrawal and transition without knowing what we're transitioning to. Totally brain-dead, but there we are. They seem set on a milder version of the same logical error this time.
    In other news, Leicester are the new Spurs.
  • Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Chameleon said:

@eadric with his insistence on 400k dead in the UK alone, with @GideonWise not far behind.

I’m not convinced by your number but it is certainly plausible
    Not sure whether anyone has heard anything else, but I heard from a friend who is in healthcare that some people who originally tested positive and then recovered from it, then had the misfortune to fall victim to pneumonia.
  • tyson said:

tyson said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Boris would be alright in a crisis...better than Theresa May or Gordon Brown who would just make you feel like all is lost from the get go....

I can see the photo ops now of Boris wearing a mask doing ward rounds and chairing a govt of national unity
    And that is the point Tyson.

We need to see him both over the floods which look like getting another hammering this weekend and covid 19

Out of them

21 died
    46 already healed
    64 are in intensive care
    345 are in hospital
    412 are at home

Nice to see the vital services of praying and looking at fish are being prioritised.
    I think it is tourism (as long as you buy the entry tick to the Cathedral online) and looking at fishes.
  • MaxPB said:

I've been saying this for a few days now.
    Foxy said:

In other news, Leicester are the new Spurs.

Oh excellent. If Man U can only remember how to play well more than 2 games in a row we might be in with a chance.
    edited February 2020

MaxPB said:

I think the economic issues will be pretty much everywhere. In a years time it will all be over.

There may well be lasting damage to the tourist boom in flying, hotels and cruising for a few more years though.
  • Charles said:

So the EU attempt on sequencing is justified by what exactly?

It's not justified by anything. In fact if you wanted to point the finger at the most important reasons why implementation of Brexit is turning into such a disaster for both sides then after the absurd internal contradictions of the Vote Leave campaign, and Boris' dishonesty, the EU obsession with sequencing would be high on the list. A large part of the disaster arises because they insisted on doing things exactly backwards: instead of the rational sequence of agreeing the final destination first, and then discussing how we get there and how to protect Ireland in the process, they insisted on agreeing the withdrawal and transition without knowing what we're transitioning to. Totally brain-dead, but there we are. They seem set on a milder version of the same logical error this time.
    Is it possible both sides are rather closer to each other than either might admit and are hugely blowing up the differences for political reasons?

Also, "UK and EU largely agree but disagree over some key details in 4-5 important areas" isn't going to sell many papers.
    edited February 2020

tyson said:

tyson said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

We need to see him both over the floods which look like getting another hammering this weekend and covid 19
    When we do see him we have the stupid smirk on his face. It's not a good look.

Tony Blair knew how to act concerned e.g. after Diana's death.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited February 2020

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

I would normally take any opportunity to beat-up on Johnson's Prime Ministerial.failures.

However, to be absolutely honest in order to avoid being a hostage to fortune, keeping quiet is probably a wise move by Mr Johnson.
  • tyson said:

tyson said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Tony Blair knew how to act concerned.
    It gave him an 80 seat majority
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I think the economic issues will be pretty much everywhere. In a years time it will all be over.

There may well be lasting damage to the tourist boom in flying, hotels and cruising for a few more years though.
    The cruise industry is dead. Most of these floating palaces will become stationary hotels.

rcs1000 said:

egg said:

"Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton. Not going to happen, we’ve moved on from the 1952 Democrat convention – they are much wider affairs now. Delegate horse trading would be between existing candidates."

Except... I cannot see the point of horse trading between existing candidates who those same delegates KNOW will lose to Trump. And neither will they.

Imagine if the Democrats could instead hold out the prospect of an Obama back in the White House....
    Are the term limits contiguous or for all time
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    edited February 2020
    Like everyone else here, I really hope that the coronavirus crisis plays out better than we currently fear.

But if it doesn't, one positive outcome that I hope for is this. That the electorate finally identifies the two lying charlatans, Boris and Trump, as the shallow, duplicitous "fake news" naked Emperors that they evidently are and ejects them from office.
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

The cruise industry is dead. Most of these floating palaces will become stationary hotels.
    Cunard today put out a bulletin cancelling most of its scheduled spring port calls; it appears its ships will mostly be circumnavigating Australia for the next couple of months
  • The scary thing is this will probably be much about nothing in the end if governments and healthcare agencies take this seriously and do what needs to be done, as our government is doing.

By ignoring this they're going to let this go unnecessarily rampant and make this unnecessarily deadly. MORONS!
    edited February 2020

tyson said:

tyson said:

DavidL said:

Quite agree.

Tony Blair knew how to act concerned.
    It gave him an 80 seat majority
    And I've been one of those to praise him for that. But this is fast becoming a crisis and that's a whole different ball game.

I remember Callaghan returning from Jamaica during the winter of discontent 1979 and his throwaway casual responses at Heathrow cost him the election. Then there was the fiasco of the Tories in 1992 after Black Wednesday when Norman Lamont and John Major looked like clowns at a dysfunctional circus.

Boris Johnson hitherto has got away with his blague approach. This could be very different and if he doesn't up his game he's going to get panned. I'm already seeing it from some staunch tory journalist friends.
This discussion has been closed.