Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Can anyone stop Sanders – looking at the contenders one by one

SystemSystem Posts: 12,054
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Can anyone stop Sanders – looking at the contenders one by one?

Bernie Sanders is rightly the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination. RIght now he leads in national polling, delegates, popular votes cast and has gone 3 out of 3 (Including a blowout delegate win in broadly representative Nevada) for states that have thus far cast their votes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    First
    And second

Sanders looks so old and ill in that photo. Coronavirus is going to play a large part in this contest.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    IshmaelZ said:

And second

Sanders looks so old and ill in that photo. Coronavirus is going to play a large part in this contest.

I second third that
  • Somebody needs to stop Sanders because this is how Trump is dealing with the virus:

When a Pandemic Meets a Personality Cult

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/opinion/coronavirus-trump.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

• Joe Biden is a dreadful candidate, considerably worse than Bernie Sanders. Sadly, I now think he'll get the nomination.
  • Excellent summary, by the way, @Pulpstar.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,598
    Dropped a few quid on Gabbard. Under the assumption Sanders has got the nom.
  • Great header.

But no mention of Sherrod Brown?
  • IshmaelZ said:

And second

I’m using this picture for all future threads involving Bernie Sanders.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276
    edited February 2020

Excellent summary, by the way, @Pulpstar.

Yes, a good summary. And I agree with you on both counts. Sanders is better than Biden but I fear Biden will likely get it in the end.

Either beats Trump though. No way is America doing that again. As if.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Thought of Gabbard becoming President makes me feel sick.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    Here's the "book" as of right now:

Biden 1180
    Sanders 540
    E Warren 2630
    Buttigieg -460
    Clinton -1820
    Bloomberg -1290
    Klobuchar 2620
    Gabbard 830
    Steyer 12510
    Someone else -290
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,023
    Biden or bust.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453

Great header.

This was written before the Sherrod surge.

You can file him under the Clinton/Obama category.
    edited February 2020

Joe Biden is a dreadful candidate, considerably worse than Bernie Sanders. Sadly, I now think he'll get the nomination.

When you say he is a worse candidate do you think he has worse policies and plans, or that whatever the policies he is the wrong person to sell them to the selectorate, or both?

As I can easily believe a lot of people who dislike Sanders' politics and who think he would lose to Trump and Biden would not, would concede he is a better at being a candidate.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    If Warren is third, she could be the consensus candidate in a convention split between Sanders and Biden. She would need to improve her general election polling.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    The only things that can stop Sanders now are his health or a stitch-up at the convention if he fails to win a majority - the progressive base just loves him too much, and he's promising them too many things they actually need. I'm going to have to dig up my year-old prediction along those lines from my old account.
  • HYUFD said:
    She's had a smashing campaign. Do hope Starmer puts her on the front bench with a big role.
  • FPT
    kinabalu said:

Don't forget the fingertips! Most people do and it's what you're more likely to touch something with too.

Remember the next time you touch a public button like a lift that even those who've washed their hands probably forgot to wash their fingertip they touched the button with.

Gloves are surely the silver bullet here.
    Unless you're careful gloves don't help at all and can even make matters worse. The problem is hand hygiene rules still apply and don't go away just because you're wearing gloves. People though become under the mistaken believe that because they're wearing gloves hand hygiene rules go away. When was the last time you washed your hands while wearing gloves?

Everything you touch with your hands can transfer to your hands, equally everything you touch with your gloves can transfer to your gloves - and from there to you when you next touch your gloves or touch your face etc with your gloves.

Washing hands with soap and a good technique works better than gloves. Gloves only work if they're disposable ones very shortly used and then binned like a tissue.
    What difference did all that running around like a headless chicken really make to Gordon Brown's government and its prospects?
  • Pulpstar said:

Great header.

This was written before the Sherrod surge.

You can file him under the Clinton/Obama category.
    I'm green on all three.

We are living in crazy times, so who knows...
    HYUFD said:
    She seems the most earnest, Starmer the most stolid, and RLB the most 'the guy we want isn't standing' (though at least she's said a few things Corbyn would not)
  • Daily Mail:

The coronavirus could be up to 1,000 times more infectious than SARS because it plagues the body in the same way as HIV and Ebola, scientists warn.

Experts initially presumed the spread of COVID-19 would follow the same trajectory as the SARS outbreak in 2002/3, because the viruses are almost identical genetically.

But they have discovered the way it binds to cells in the human body is akin to far more aggressive diseases like HIV and Ebola.

This makes it '100 to 1,000 times' more efficient at infecting people than SARS, according to researchers from Nankai University in Tianjin, northern China.

• Very good summary. I expect Sanders will win the nomination. How long it takes will depend on how quickly most of his opponents drop out (ironically, the sooner, the later).

Will he then lose to Trump? I thought so until pretty much this week but the coronavirus could *really* hit Trump hard, both for his administrations poor response and for the secondary economic effects.

Not that I have much better hopes for a Sanders presidency. At least that will just screw the economy rather than the economy *and* the political and judicial systems.
    edited February 2020
    I do think the beer virus may begin to sway the dem nomination towards Sanders. He is the politician the over 45-65+'s will think of when the chance of a long stay in the ICU is greater than 20%.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    Just back from Waitrose - shelves have been stripped of Good Brie.

(Not really)
  • kle4 said:

Joe Biden is a dreadful candidate, considerably worse than Bernie Sanders. Sadly, I now think he'll get the nomination.

When you say he is a worse candidate do you think he has worse policies and plans, or that whatever the policies he is the wrong person to sell them to the selectorate, or both?

As I can easily believe a lot of people who dislike Sanders' politics and who think he would lose to Trump and Biden would not, would concede he is a better at being a candidate.
    The medium is the message. You can't disentangle the two like that when you come to Bernie Sanders.

Joe Biden is now far too old and wasn't even a good candidate when he was younger (which is why he's crashed and burned in the past).

For what it's worth, if Bernie Sanders gets the nomination, I expect him to at least perform very respectably against Donald Trump and to have good chances of winning. He too is far too old but at least he can string a sentence together.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,321
    @HYUFD are you happy with the way the government are handling the Coronavirus situation?
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

Iran latest:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233438301786443779?s=20

Suggests they've got 2000 cases, rather than 100 odd. More like Korea

Has any major world government had a worse 2020 so far than Iran's?

EDIT: Excluding China, obviously!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106

@HYUFD are you happy with the way the government are handling the Coronavirus situation?

No deaths in the UK from it yet, the only fatality of a UK citizen in Japan, so yes
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

No deaths in the UK from it yet, the only fatality of a UK citizen in Japan, so yes
    The UK's record on testing for cases seems to be the best in the world other than South Korea's, but the latter had a big outbreak to deal with.
    Alistair said:

I just don't see Bernie picking anyone else, and maybe 15/1 helps a little :)
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,673

HYUFD said:
    She's had a smashing campaign. Do hope Starmer puts her on the front bench with a big role.
    I think Labour's target voters would think, well, she seems a nice lass (but not a credible LOTO and certainly not a contender for Number 10.)
    RLB isn't even a particularly nice lass.
    There has never been a better opportunity for Labour to elect a female Leader but Yvette Cooper, who should have got the job, just ran one leadership election too soon.
    Hence, Sir Keir...
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,409
    eadric said:

Daily Mail:

The coronavirus could be up to 1,000 times more infectious than SARS because it plagues the body in the same way as HIV and Ebola, scientists warn.

Experts initially presumed the spread of COVID-19 would follow the same trajectory as the SARS outbreak in 2002/3, because the viruses are almost identical genetically.

But they have discovered the way it binds to cells in the human body is akin to far more aggressive diseases like HIV and Ebola.

This makes it '100 to 1,000 times' more efficient at infecting people than SARS, according to researchers from Nankai University in Tianjin, northern China.

And yet Singapore HAS controlled it

https://twitter.com/QuickTake/status/1233433120755437569?s=20

It can be done. But do you have to be a mega-rich, well behaved little city state to do it? That's the enormous question.
    Probably because their population is a lot healthier than China or Iran.

HYUFD said:

The UK's record on testing for cases seems to be the best in the world other than South Korea's, but the latter had a big outbreak to deal with.
    Indeed and so far the UK has also had fewer cases than France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Australia, Japan, South Korea or the USA not to mention China and Iran of course
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

Daily Mail:

It can be done. But do you have to be a mega-rich, well behaved little city state to do it? That's the enormous question.
    True. And much much wealthier. Superb health care. Low pollution.

Sadly, Singapore might not be easily copied.
    "We don't want to become some kind of Singapore-on-Thames", they mocked
  • Excellent piece Pulpstar.
  • Still BF haven't paid up on Iowa.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,409
    Alistair said:

Why?
    Alistair said:

Can I ask why?
    Similar to Yougov, comfortable Starmer win then
  • “If you want to win back loggers in northern Wisconsin, stop talking about pronouns and start talking more about corruption in Big Pharma.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/02/27/upshot/democrats-may-need-to-break-out-of-the-whole-foods-bubble.html
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Why?
    The LA Time puts it well with the headline

Tulsi Gabbard may not be a Russian asset. But she sure talks like one

It would actually be better if she was a full paid up asset of the Russian Intelligence service rather than she independently came to a set of views that is indistinguishable from the average Russian twitter troll.

She has full on Stop the War derangement syndrome. Criticise American military intervention and loudly cheer on Putin bombing the shit out of people.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Similar to YouGov (though going to second round) and a big shift from the previous Survation/Labour List poll, which put RLB ahead.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    Everyone says how great Nandy is.

Then most of them go and vote for someone else.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    eadric said:

Daily Mail:

A certain lack of freedom may help, as with China: http://harvardpolitics.com/world/singapores-stubborn-authoritarianism/
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,619
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    She seems the most earnest, Starmer the most stolid, and RLB the most 'the guy we want isn't standing' (though at least she's said a few things Corbyn would not)
    Yes, I watched the debate on YouTube this morning; hers was the most impressive performance, although no knock out blow.

Starmer seems to have got away with his gaffe with the totally blind woman - a silly mistake for someone of his experience.
    Boris was just on BBC News, was that from earlier? Basically, 'wash your hands' was what I got from it
  • Considering second preferences however, Angela Rayner looks set to reach the winning 50% threshold by the third round of voting. While Richard Burgon would receive a boost from the second preferences of those voters who had selected Dawn Butler, who looks to be eliminated early on, Angela Rayner’s popularity as a second preference with Ian Murray and Rosena Allin-Khan (and Richard Burgon) supporters is high enough to assure her victory.

https://www.survation.com/keir-starmer-and-angela-rayner-top-new-poll-of-labour-leadership-selectorate/
    isam said:

Boris was just on BBC News, was that from earlier? Basically, 'wash your hands' was what I got from it

Well, he tends to wash his hands of any responsibility quite regularly.
    edited February 2020
    Looking forward to the thread on a YouGov that has a majority of Remain voters saying they'd like immigration stopped completely, boats patrolling the coast to ward off refugees and Singapore as the country they'd most like the UK to emulate
    edited February 2020
    That changes Buttigieg’s initial 0.003% victory after the recanvass to a commanding 0.04% win now.

LOL. Just the shot in the arm his campaign needs, eh?
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Starmer seems to have got away with his gaffe with the totally blind woman -
    ...his what now?

This is what happens when I don't check political news in the day.

• eadric said:

Iran latest:

Suggests they've got 20000 cases, rather than 100 odd.

Depends upon the percentage.

Or their healthcare system is utter garbage. Or the BNO claim is garbage. Or the Iranians are killing people and blaming it on coronavirus.

isam said:

Well, he tends to wash his hands of any responsibility quite regularly.
    20 times a day!

True, but getting in to the 20s would be something I guess. Starmer not winning outright on 1st preference would be something.
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Yes, I watched the debate on YouTube this morning; hers was the most impressive performance, although no knock out blow.

Starmer seems to have got away with his gaffe with the totally blind woman - a silly mistake for someone of his experience.
    The bland teasing the blind?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023

Considering second preferences however, Angela Rayner looks set to reach the winning 50% threshold by the third round of voting. While Richard Burgon would receive a boost from the second preferences of those voters who had selected Dawn Butler, who looks to be eliminated early on, Angela Rayner’s popularity as a second preference with Ian Murray and Rosena Allin-Khan (and Richard Burgon) supporters is high enough to assure her victory.

https://www.survation.com/keir-starmer-and-angela-rayner-top-new-poll-of-labour-leadership-selectorate/

That's a shame. It would be hilarious for Burgon to win - Labour really ought to have candidates run on joint tickets.

Never saw her as a natural LibDem.
    Honestly not as dominated by Rayner as I had assumed.
    edited February 2020

eadric said:

Iran latest:

Or their healthcare system is utter garbage. Or the BNO claim is garbage. Or the Iranians are killing people and blaming it on coronavirus.
    I'm sure their healthcare system is absolutely dire. They've been subject to intensive sanctions for years, the economy is in tatters, the regime is ideological and brutish, and the middle classes including many doctors have been driven out of the country. They won't have the capacity to do much in the way of testing for cases, let alone treating them.

Even Italy, which especially in the north is quite well organised and has a reasonable healthcare system, seems to have missed a large number of cases.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    edited February 2020
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342

eadric said:

Iran latest:

I'm sure their healthcare system is absolutely dire. They've been subject to intensive sanctions for years, the economy is in tatters, the regime is ideological and brutish, and the middle classes including many doctors have been driven out of the country. They won't have the capacity to do much in the way of testing for cases, let alone treating them.

Even Italy, which especially in the north is quite well organised and has a reasonable healthcare system, seems to have missed a large number of cases.
    The number of government members that seem to be going down with the virus in Iran is remarkable. Suggests it really is out of control. They are probably the highest risk country in the world at the moment. Many of the cases elsewhere in the ME have come from there.
  • isam said:
    Scared? I think you're projecting, she looks happy to me.
  • Confirmation:

At least 210 people have died from coronavirus in Iran, in various cities, as of Thursday night, BBC Persian reported on Friday, citing hospital sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-live-updates-latest-news-china-wuhan-stock-markets-update
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited February 2020
    Duplicate.

eadric said:

Iran latest:

Really makes you wonder about the US. There’s no shortage of international travel to and from the States, yet only a few hundred tests have been made and completed.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

Iran latest:

The number of government members that seem to be going down with the virus in Iran is remarkable. Suggests it really is out of control. They are probably the highest risk country in the world at the moment. Many of the cases elsewhere in the ME have come from there.
    And the Iranian rich will all be flying to Europe for treatment.

You have to die of something and around 1.5% of us do every year. A virus that raises that a little isn't really worth worrying about. People just get richer through inheritance and at a slightly younger age.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Nice one Pulpstar.

If Sanders, or any other oldster gets it, I hope they appoint a robust vice pres candidate. Remember the failed haberdasher Harry Truman.
  • Two days ago I posted a critical piece on Boris over the floods and his disappearance.

Now he calls Cobra on monday over covid 19 just reinforcing the perception he goes into hiding at times of national crisis

It may well be that his minister are actively attending to these serious matters but he is either naive or worse, listening to Cummings, when his supporters and the country want to hear from him

He is wrong, or badly advised, to avoid the media and a narrative that he is a part time PM is taking hold

This is not good enough Boris, you need to get a grip otherwise in a few weeks you will have a reformed labour party under a new leader taking chunks out of you

PS. Just seen him finally appear on Sky
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    eadric said:

I fear this is quite bad. Basic water supplies breaking down in Hubei

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1233439135622455297?s=20

The tweeter's entire feed is illuminating, and concerning. It does NOT look like China has this under control.

eg:

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1233406488032563200?s=20

A CCP official makes a "secret" trip to Hubei and finds 400,000 severe and chronic non-corona patients going without treatment

Read it carefully. Patients with chronic conditions are not getting treatment because all the focus is on the virus.

Exactly the same thing will happen here if we lose control of the virus.

Given we probably have an older and more multimorbid population than Hubei, that is something that would be of deep concern.

eadric said:

Omnium said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Iran latest:

You have to die of something and around 1.5% of us do every year. A virus that raises that a little isn't really worth worrying about. People just get richer through inheritance and at a slightly younger age.
    Er, I don't think we'll be letting in many Iranians.
    Neither do I. Pay attention!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Why?
    The LA Time puts it well with the headline

Tulsi Gabbard may not be a Russian asset. But she sure talks like one

It would actually be better if she was a full paid up asset of the Russian Intelligence service rather than she independently came to a set of views that is indistinguishable from the average Russian twitter troll.

She has full on Stop the War derangement syndrome. Criticise American military intervention and loudly cheer on Putin bombing the shit out of people.
    Are people who support America bombing the shit out of people but criticise Russian military interventions similarly deranged?
  • Still, at least here things are under control and so there's no reason to panic:

https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/1233450841895514112
    Toms said:

Nice one Pulpstar.

If Sanders, or any other oldster gets it, I hope they appoint a robust vice pres candidate. Remember the failed haberdasher Harry Truman.

I'm hoping he doubles down and appoints someone even older, but from a quick google there's not many serving people in congress or among the governors who is older (though Sanders' fellow Senator from Vermont is one of them) and many of them are Republican. So he may need to look further afield to some former officials.
    eadric said:

Omnium said:

eadric said:

Omnium said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Iran latest:

Er, I don't think we'll be letting in many Iranians.
    Neither do I. Pay attention!
    Ah, soz boz. Was the whole comment a parody of the Don't Panickers?
    What's your guess? (Hint: no it wasn't)

"soz, boz"? Sean, if you are reduced to that then we may as well all give up.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    isam said:
    The future Mhairi Black wants. Disagree and you're a reactionary homophobe.
  • IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Iran latest:

Really makes you wonder about the US. There’s no shortage of international travel to and from the States, yet only a few hundred tests have been made and completed.
    If people are being charged $3k for a blood test there and then cant afford the cost of treatment anyway if it was required, of course not many people are volunteering to be tested.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

The tweeter's entire feed is illuminating, and concerning. It does NOT look like China has this under control.

eg:

A CCP official makes a "secret" trip to Hubei and finds 400,000 severe and chronic non-corona patients going without treatment

Read it carefully. Patients with chronic conditions are not getting treatment because all the focus is on the virus.

Given we probably have an older and more multimorbid population than Hubei, that is something that would be of deep concern.

I know that's what it says! It's obvious this is a major problem. Cancer patients are dying in Hubei because all the beds are filled with covid.

I recommend you read that lady's whole feed. Anyone who thinks China has this nailed down will find it sobering.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eg:

I know that's what it says! It's obvious this is a major problem. Cancer patients are dying in Hubei because all the beds are filled with covid.

I recommend you read that lady's whole feed. Anyone who thinks China has this nailed down will find it sobering.
    I think you deserve great credit for your ongoing information on covid 19 and while I reserve the right to be sceptical on some of your comments you do have amazing sources and, notwithstanding some adverse comments on here by other posters, you do make a a valued contribution to this very serious issue
  • Dan Hodges is posting some amusing stuff:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1233455837638729730

Still, at least here things are under control and so there's no reason to panic:

Required reading, esp for Londoners: Daniel Defoe, Journal of the Plague Year

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/376/376-h/376-h.htm

So much of it sounds spookily familiar.
  • The Political Declaration made clear that we were leaving the EU and will be setting our own laws.

The EU wish to rewrite parts of that to keep us attached.

Oh and the PD is non-binding. We discussed that a lot last year don't forget.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    isam said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

Daily Mail:

True. And much much wealthier. Superb health care. Low pollution.

Sadly, Singapore might not be easily copied.
    "We don't want to become some kind of Singapore-on-Thames", they mocked
    Singapore is an authoritarian state and if not exactly a dictatorship, is not a free country as we understand it in the West, nor is it a democracy. It's easy to impose these sorts of restrictions when your people fear the state and have no means to hold it to account.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Required reading, esp for Londoners: Daniel Defoe, Journal of the Plague Year

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/376/376-h/376-h.htm

So much of it sounds spookily familiar.

Yes, it's a wonderful book. Amazing that it was actually written 50 years after the plague, it reads exactly like a contemporary account.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

TheOT look like China has this under control.

eg:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eg:

Reader and more multimorbid population than Hubei, that is something that would be of deep concern.

I know that's what it. Anyone who thinks China has this nailed down will find it sobering.
    I think you deserve great credit for your ongoing information on covid 19 and while I reserve the right to be sceptical on some of your comments you do have amazing sources and, notwithstanding some adverse comments on here by other posters, you do make a a valued contribution to this very serious issue
    Thanks mate.

I do try not to be sensationslist, but I also have a fair bit of spare time, at the mo, and this subject is sadly compelling, so I uncover a lot of info.

And you can find so much on social media that isn't widely reported at all. eg The BBC news broadcasts from China are ludicrously anodyne. Of course they have to be, because China is ejecting journalists who are too critical, like the American trio from the WSJ.

Dig a bit deeper and a different picture emerges. Which it is important to see.
    You could try a bit harder, TBF.

Still, at least here things are under control and so there's no reason to panic:

You already can’t order sanitiser at a sensible price, or at all from the major supermarkets. If this hits London in a big way, the panic will be a sight to behold. At least the rest of the country can feed itself.
    edited February 2020

The Political Declaration made clear that we were leaving the EU and will be setting our own laws.

That doesn't alter the fact that it was as promised in the manifesto and ratified after the election, so in no conceivable way does the decisive electoral win justify reneging on it: quite the opposite, it should make it unthinkable to do so.

Of course, you are right that it is non-binding. That simply means that the EU (and other countries) will rightly conclude that they can't trust anything this government says, or even formally signs up to, unless they've got a cast-iron legal deal enforceable by penalties. It's the most disastrous way of beginning negotiation Boris could have managed,
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

The Political Declaration made clear that we were leaving the EU and will be setting our own laws.

So, the EU "wants to rewrite" the PD, but for the UK the PD is "non binding". Gotcha.
This discussion has been closed.