Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds Leave voters taking a more lenient view of Prince

Comments

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

I think you are being harsh on Harry here.

He’s a deeply troubled young man who has been callously manipulated by a selfish fading actress. He believes that in leaving the royal family he is protecting his family against what happened to his mother.

I think that's really harsh. I don't think he's been "callously manipulated" whatsoever and I think the way his wife has been treated, including remarks like that quite frankly, is quite disgusting.

If someone comes after my wife I will back her to the hilt! Any decent man would.
    I have a low opinion of his wife. She is grasping and self centred and not as much in love with him as he is with her
    And I have a low opinion of people who judge and meddle in other people's relationships. That is grasping and self centred.

They're a couple who've chosen each other and that is all that matters. That is marriage.
    Harry has renounced his duty to his brother, who will almost certainly be king in 20 years time. By then the usual persistent malcontents will be exploiting his estrangement, arguing that William, Kate and their family are too white, too aloof, too remote and should be replaced by the familiar daytime TV celebrities from across the water. H&M represent a future threat to the crown, not a present one.
    That's William's problem, not Harry's, if that happens. Harry doesn't have a duty to his brother. This is 2020 not 1020.

Maybe, just maybe, when Harry says he saw his mother get killed and he doesn't want this drama . . . maybe he's not being manipulated by some evil shrew, maybe he saw his mother get killed and he doesn't want this mother. Maybe he's a free adult able to make his own free choices.
    Everything you write may be correct but it only addresses one issue: Harry's current fears and feelings. Other people can see where it might lead and they have reacted accordingly.
    Other people aren't him. Its his life, his choice.

Pretentious people who think they get a say in how he lives his life are wrong and not fit for the year 2020.
    Pretentious? Moi?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He’s a deeply troubled young man who has been callously manipulated by a selfish fading actress. He believes that in leaving the royal family he is protecting his family against what happened to his mother.

I think that's really harsh. I don't think he's been "callously manipulated" whatsoever and I think the way his wife has been treated, including remarks like that quite frankly, is quite disgusting.

If someone comes after my wife I will back her to the hilt! Any decent man would.
    I have a low opinion of his wife. She is grasping and self centred and not as much in love with him as he is with her
    And I have a low opinion of people who judge and meddle in other people's relationships. That is grasping and self centred.

They're a couple who've chosen each other and that is all that matters. That is marriage.
    Harry is a public figure. I also know and like him. I don’t like his wife and I have a low opinion of her. But I would never dream of telling him that because I wouldn’t meddle in their relationship.
    Harry never chose to be a public figure. He did choose to marry Meghan, so that is more important.

You wouldn't meddle in their relationship, but you're more than happy to talk smack about his wife to all and sundry in public behind his back. Because that's more respectful isn't it?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited February 2020

Nigelb said:

I am puzzled by this sudden mass outbreak of expertise on the subject of other people’s marriages.

I'm an expert in marriages except my own.

As a bit of advice to the Royals, there should be a ban on senior Royals marrying a Yank.

It never works out well.
    For the Royal concerned or for the institution?

I can't think of a Royal who has regretted marrying a Yank.
    For the institution, but for others.

There's a strong case that Wallis Simpson was responsible for the early death of King George VI.
  • Options
    Bayern in a different class to Chelsea leading 0 - 2 at Chelsea
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

And on FCA matters - another one to add to Gina’s little list - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/financial-conduct-authority-in-new-data-breach-blunder-67fhkzxdp.

The government is currently advertising for a new FCA CEO, btw.

Please tell us you are going to apply.
    I would not make the short list.

I don’t think I could bear to commute again.

It will be an internal appointment. It usually is. They don’t really want a breath of fresh air and I would be far more disruptive - but in a good way - than self-appointed disrupters like Cummings.

And anyone appointed externally will have all the people internally who wanted the job trying to stick knives in their back. The internal politics there are peculiar and difficult.

I am enjoying the transition to my new life in Cumbria too much.

I don’t need the stress.

I would not be able to post on or write thread headers for PB!

I would love to contribute in some way but full-time work at one job (unless I suffer a financial catastrophe) is not for me now.

That said, freelance work is a bit thin at the moment, so maybe .....
    On the contrary:

The new IR35 is killing professional freelance work in the UK at the moment.

Such work will end up having to be very short term, from lectures and conferences rather than spending time in companies sorting them out.

The role almost certainly comes with a CBE a couple of years down the line “For Services to Rooting Out Evil Bankers”, as well as a nice government pension that will see you earn more in retirement than you ever did in their employment.

You know you should,,, ;)
    Only a CBE? I want a Damehood.

Most of my work is short-term lecture-type stuff. A lot of banks are cutting back on costs. So am looking at expanding my offering to other sorts of clients.

If I could be paid for writing .... or gardening .......
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

A thoughtful answer from Keir Starmer. It cannot be easy coping with a sudden loss and this damnably long series of hustings (only 40 days to go).

Most people will vote in next couple of days.

I voted for Nandy and Butler as 1st preferences.

Neither will win but hey ho.
    Butler???

I couldn't separate her and Burgon so didn't award either my 4th preference. Dr Rosena for me.
    Out of curiosity, what a would happen if you voted 1, 2, 4, leaving 3 out? Would it be a spoiled ballot, would they count the blank space as three, or would they just count 1 and 2?
    That wouldn't be possible with online voting but presumably you could do it if you are one of those without a registered email address who will receive a paper ballot. They also have the chance to draw a cock and balls next to Burgon's name.

In the scenario you describe I have no idea if the 4th preference would count as a third preference. One for TSE, our resident AV expert...
    Murray is bottom of my DL list
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Harry is a public figure. I also know and like him. I don’t like his wife and I have a low opinion of her. But I would never dream of telling him that because I wouldn’t meddle in their relationship.
    Harry never chose to be a public figure. He did choose to marry Meghan, so that is more important.

You wouldn't meddle in their relationship, but you're more than happy to talk smack about his wife to all and sundry in public behind his back. Because that's more respectful isn't it?

I'll put things behind us...but I am 1000% behind your post
  • Options
    So how many of you have been named as a co-respondent in someone else's divorce proceedings?

If so how many times?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

Nigelb said:

I am puzzled by this sudden mass outbreak of expertise on the subject of other people’s marriages.

As a bit of advice to the Royals, there should be a ban on senior Royals marrying a Yank.

It never works out well.

There's a strong case that Wallace Simpson was responsible for the early death of King George VI.
    The welfare of the institution is less important than the welfare of the person whose life it is and never chose to be born to the institution.

All the evidence seems to me that Wallis Simpson was responsible for a long and happy marriage to Edward for the rest of his life. That should be enough for anyone.
  • Options
    I did that 20 question thing came out 7 Nandy 6 SKS 6 RLB
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Harry has renounced his duty to his brother, who will almost certainly be king in 20 years time. By then the usual persistent malcontents will be exploiting his estrangement, arguing that William, Kate and their family are too white, too aloof, too remote and should be replaced by the familiar daytime TV celebrities from across the water. H&M represent a future threat to the crown, not a present one.
    They won't be together by then.
    People said that about Wallis Simpson in 1936. It should be noted that they were entirely wrong.
    Women are expert at dissecting other people’s relationships. What do you think we do all day over our coffees?!
    I wouldn’t call that a sudden outbreak of spurious expertise, though.

And surely you devote most of that time to the question of the inadvisability of chocolate ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

There's a strong case that Wallis Simpson was responsible for the early death of King George VI.

Maybe tobacco had something to play too....perhaps one of your sillier posts comrade....

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

People said that about Wallis Simpson in 1936. It should be noted that they were entirely wrong.
    Women are expert at dissecting other people’s relationships. What do you think we do all day over our coffees?!
    You mean, you talk about something other than shoes?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    eadric said:

Am I the first PBer to post from a tidal island in the middle of a river?

An excellent place to be for the rest of the year...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sprinkle chocolate over them?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

A thoughtful answer from Keir Starmer. It cannot be easy coping with a sudden loss and this damnably long series of hustings (only 40 days to go).

Butler???

I couldn't separate her and Burgon so didn't award either my 4th preference. Dr Rosena for me.
    Out of curiosity, what a would happen if you voted 1, 2, 4, leaving 3 out? Would it be a spoiled ballot, would they count the blank space as three, or would they just count 1 and 2?
    That wouldn't be possible with online voting but presumably you could do it if you are one of those without a registered email address who will receive a paper ballot. They also have the chance to draw a cock and balls next to Burgon's name.

In the scenario you describe I have no idea if the 4th preference would count as a third preference. One for TSE, our resident AV expert...
    That doesn't come as a surprise.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

Maybe tobacco had something to play too....perhaps one of your sillier posts comrade....

If Wallis hadn't forced King Edward to abdicate, then his brother wouldn't have become King and had to deal with WWII.

Because of his speech problems, the King smoked heavily to deal with and the pressures of WWII.

Queen Mary of Teck and others blamed Simpson for the death of King George VI.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Butler???

That doesn't come as a surprise.
    RLB was bottom of my LOTLP list

That should surprise some.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Harry never chose to be a public figure.
    A fundamental flaw of hereditary monarchy, no?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sprinkle chocolate over them?
    Only when making our witchy brews to cast spells ....! 😁
  • Options

So how many of you have been named as a co-respondent in someone else's divorce proceedings?

If so how many times?

How many times did the somebody else in question get divorced?!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If so how many times?

Well I've been involved in two divorce proceedings and only been married once.
  • Options

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

If Wallis hadn't forced King Edward to abdicate, then his brother wouldn't have become King and had to deal with WWII.

Because of his speech problems, the King smoked heavily to deal with and the pressures of WWII.

Comrade....I thought your last post was silly, but somehow, miraculously you appear to have surpassed yourself. Congrats
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If so how many times?

So you got screwed over there?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You mean, you talk about something other than shoes?
    We don’t talk about shoes. We buy shoes. And while buying and after and while wearing our wonderful shoes we talk about important things, like what people are up to, who with and why.
  • Options

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

How did Wallis "force" Edward to abdicate? Did she hold a gun to his head? Did she have magic genitalia that took away his free will?
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

Comrade....I thought your last post was silly, but somehow, miraculously you appear to have surpassed yourself. Congrats
    Jeremy Kyle: Wallis Simpson is to blame for George VI’s death

Jeremy Kyle says his father was the Queen Mother's personal secretary and learnt that she blamed Wallis Simpson for precipitating the death of George VI.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/9244081/Jeremy-Kyle-Wallis-Simpson-is-to-blame-for-George-VIs-death.html
  • Options

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

How did Wallis "force" Edward to abdicate? Did she hold a gun to his head? Did she have magic genitalia that took away his free will?
    The irony is at least one senior politician in the 1920s clearly thought Edward was gay and his womanising was just a cover.

This did lead him to (correctly) predict as early as 1928 that the Duke of York’s eldest daughter would likely become queen if she had no brother.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Isn't it getting a bit silly all this "leave voters more likely than remain voters to have opinion about something completely unrelated" polling?

a lot of the time it is probably polling differences between older and younger people, for example. Totally dishonest to frame it as a difference between leave and remain.

"Voting Leave makes you much more likely to die shock!"
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If so how many times?

So you got screwed over there?
    Well and truly.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

And on FCA matters - another one to add to Gina’s little list - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/financial-conduct-authority-in-new-data-breach-blunder-67fhkzxdp.

It will be an internal appointment. It usually is. They don’t really want a breath of fresh air and I would be far more disruptive - but in a good way - than self-appointed disrupters like Cummings.

And anyone appointed externally will have all the people internally who wanted the job trying to stick knives in their back. The internal politics there are peculiar and difficult.

I don’t need the stress.

I would love to contribute in some way but full-time work at one job (unless I suffer a financial catastrophe) is not for me now.

On the contrary:

Such work will end up having to be very short term, from lectures and conferences rather than spending time in companies sorting them out.

The role almost certainly comes with a CBE a couple of years down the line “For Services to Rooting Out Evil Bankers”, as well as a nice government pension that will see you earn more in retirement than you ever did in their employment.

Most of my work is short-term lecture-type stuff. A lot of banks are cutting back on costs. So am looking at expanding my offering to other sorts of clients.

Your recent blog about the police is outstanding by the way, worthy of being printed in a national newspaper or magazine.

Yeah, freelancing sucks when there’s a recession coming, I’m in the same boat after a six month contract just finished, and there’s not a lot out there. Your skill set would translate into advising the many international startup FinTech companies on things like GDPR and how to be regulated in London.

The only people who will pay you for gardening are probably the BBC.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Isn't it getting a bit silly all this "leave voters more likely than remain voters to have opinion about something completely unrelated" polling?

a lot of the time it is probably polling differences between older and younger people, for example. Totally dishonest to frame it as a difference between leave and remain.

When you have to write three threads a day sometimes you have to be creative and whimsical.

Still nothing will top this.

And now what you really wanted to know about LEAVE and REMAIN voters – how often they change their underpants/knickers.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/11/24/and-now-what-you-really-wanted-to-know-about-leave-and-remain-voters-how-often-they-change-their-underpantsknickers/
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

Jeremy Kyle: Wallis Simpson is to blame for George VI’s death

Jeremy Kyle says his father was the Queen Mother's personal secretary and learnt that she blamed Wallis Simpson for precipitating the death of George VI.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/9244081/Jeremy-Kyle-Wallis-Simpson-is-to-blame-for-George-VIs-death.html
    How pathetic.

Maybe if someone was to be blamed it should be the government of the day and the rest of the Establishment for not accepting the woman Edward wanted to marry?

Certainly the marriage of Edward and Wallis was a more successful marriage than that of Charles and Diana.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

That was 1936. The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there. LP Hartley.
  • Options

kamski said:

When you have to write three threads a day sometimes you have to be creative and whimsical.

Still nothing will top this.

And now what you really wanted to know about LEAVE and REMAIN voters – how often they change their underpants/knickers.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/11/24/and-now-what-you-really-wanted-to-know-about-leave-and-remain-voters-how-often-they-change-their-underpantsknickers/
    I change my Union Jack boxers thongs every single day, thank you very much!
  • Options
    Incidentally, David Steel’s failure to act over Cyril Smith is a perfect example of the behaviours I described yesterday explaining why people don’t speak up about wrongdoing.
  • Options

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

Possibly. She was reported to be proficient in the Singapore Grip, a technique to afford satisfaction to the more modestly endowed chap.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

I don’t need the stress.

If you feel like applying, apply.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Cyclefree said:

We don’t talk about shoes. We buy shoes. And while buying and after and while wearing our wonderful shoes we talk about important things, like what people are up to, who with and why.

Happy to observe you are sounding quite chipper tonight....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Gina Miller is totally correct to go after Andrew Bailey, asleep at the wheel doesn't even begin to cover his tenure at the FCA. I'm out of Fundingsecure (Wiping my face broadly) and did actually manage to make 12% interest with Lendy (& no losses xD ) but not, for instance, actually possessing physical artwork when you are issuing loans on it is frankly unforgivable.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Inside once, outside once surely...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brexit-ukip-voters-less-likely-9328784
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286
    eadric said:

Now you have started a race to see who will be the fourth.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

And then there were Severn...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Incidentally, David Steel’s failure to act over Cyril Smith is a perfect example of the behaviours I described yesterday explaining why people don’t speak up about wrongdoing.

Equally, there were plenty of young actresses who eagerly went along with Harvey’s casting couch, some of whom ended up with Oscars as a result. They thought it was a price worth paying.

If you’re a talented young actress, it’s still expected. If you’re an untalented young actress, it’s compulsory.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Cyclefree said:

Curious that the Queen has been harsher on the Sussexes than she has on her favorite child, the friend of the nonce.

You keep making this point and, with all due respect, it’s nonsense. HMQ has not been harsh with the Sussexes, who chose to leave the country and stop being working royals and who have not lost their titles. She made a notably warm statement about Meghan when agreement was reached, something which has not been reciprocated but rather thrown back in her face.

Andrew has been retired, not promoted to Admiral as is apparently normal (I know, I don’t understand it either), kept off official Palace guest lists, lost some of his patronages, lost his Palace office and had his birthday party cancelled. Nor do you know what has been said in private. Mothers often have to deal with wayward sons and they will, believe me, be both furious and still want to hold out a hand to try and keep the relationship going.

Andrew is an arrogant, entitled and rather dim-witted arse with very poor judgment but, so far, has not been charged with anything.

Being arrogant, entitled and having poor judgment are charges which could, quite frankly, be laid against the Duke of Sussex based on the last few months.
    Does all this mean that there is a dinghy somewhere without an admiral in charge of it?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Oh god, another stream of puns incoming. :D
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Butler???

He will be top of my list followed by Rosena.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

I don’t need the stress.

On the contrary:

Your recent blog about the police is outstanding by the way, worthy of being printed in a national newspaper or magazine.

Yeah, freelancing sucks when there’s a recession coming, I’m in the same boat after a six month contract just finished, and there’s not a lot out there. Your skill set would translate into advising the many international startup FinTech companies on things like GDPR and how to be regulated in London.

Thank you.

I will next be doing some work in Paris. The cheeky sods asked if I could do a talk in French. Which I probably could, though it would take a lot of preparation to have it land well and have the same impact. It’s not just a question of translation. But I’d enjoy the challenge and it could open up all sorts of possibilities.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

I'm sure they'll be fast flowing.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited February 2020
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Butler???

Just count first and second preferences. beyond that the intention is unclear so would be deemed untransferable..
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
    A flood no less
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
    Let's hope it doesn't turn into a torrent.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
    He tide and he failed.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Cyclefree said:

Partially true imho.. in my experience ladies umm and aaah about such purchases.. in the same way they do about handbags and purses....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited February 2020
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
    Let's hope it doesn't turn into a torrent.
    But never a bore.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
    He tide and he failed.
    Fkin elbe.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Partially true imho.. in my experience ladies umm and aaah about such purchases.. in the same way they do about handbags and purses....
    Did you by any chance reply to the wrong post there, or have you just had some very strange experiences?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Blame Foxy
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Blame Foxy
    He’s got everyone rilled up.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Did you by any chance reply to the wrong post there, or have you just had some very strange experiences?
    Sorry... meant reply aabout cyclefree and her purchasing post..
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sorry... meant reply aabout cyclefree and her purchasing post..
    What a relief.

Good night.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
    He tide and he failed.
    Fkin elbe.
    Avon-der who will be next?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Happy to observe you are sounding quite chipper tonight....
    Well, daughter is on the mend though not fully recovered yet. So a huge relief.

It’s been nearly 3 weeks of her being really quite ill. Anti-vaxxers should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

And I had a wonderful drive to Penrith today.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT - the Scottish Government appears to be running adverts on the London Underground for people to move to Scotland under the slogan “Scotland is Now”.

It’s kind of weird the Scottish Government wants to attract mainly English immigrants to move into North Britain. Maybe Sturgeon secretly wants us to all move up there so we can vote down independence.

Scotland is now what?

Scotland is now North of England, officially.

It reminds me of possibly the worst corporate slogan in history. Hitachi: Inspire the Next.

Inspire the next what???
    I can't imagine your antipathy for Nike's slogan.
    http://www.hitachi.com.tw/eng/about/identity/inspire/index.html
    The Vision expresses what the Hitachi Group aims to become in the future. The slogan "Inspire the Next" is an expression of the Group's desire to make this Vision a reality.

The word "Inspire" comes from the Latin "in" or "into" and "spirare" or "breathe." It means "to breathe life into," "to expand upon," and "to encourage." It also carries the meaning of "lifting spirits and raising awareness," and of "giving energy and courage."

The red line stretching above and to the right of "Next" is called the "Inspire Flash." It represents Hitachi's strong desire to achieve even further growth.

The Hitachi Group aims to help create a society that is overflowing with vitality, by "Inspiring the World".
    Arseholes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Actual lol

To clear up the initial question. I’m all alone in The Captain’s House on Osea Island, in the river Blackwater, off the Essex coast.

https://www.oseaisland.co.uk/

It is incredibly atmospheric and moody. I love it.

If only I were SeanT, then I would know EXACTLY where to locate my next thriller.
    Didn't that used to be a rehab centre only accessible when the tide went out?
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Actual lol

To clear up the initial question. I’m all alone in The Captain’s House on Osea Island, in the river Blackwater, off the Essex coast.

If only I were SeanT, then I would know EXACTLY where to locate my next thriller.
    Byronic will be extremely jealous!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Cyclefree said:

I remain very surprised re- David Steel.Apparently when he raised the issue with Smith in 1979, he believed that there was no ongoing activity and that the allegations related to events from the first half of the 1960s.
    On the specific point , I am unclear as to why Smith's victims were - indeed are - unable to pursue the authorities which provided him with access to them.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I think we have reached Peak Charles!
    😂
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/25/mass-testing-uncover-spread-coronavirus-britain/

"Thousands of Britons will be tested by GPs for coronavirus, amid fears that the explosion of cases in Europe means there could be far more cases in the UK than are known about.

Mass surveillance will be introduced as Britain ramps up its response to the growing threat, with health planners considering school closures and transport restrictions if the danger spreads."

No indication how the thousands will be selected, but presumably the easiest approach is to check out whoever happens to turn up at the surgery for whatever reason.
  • Options
    QUIET! All of you!

"The Windsors" is just starting on Channel 4...
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I’m an anonymous-ish bloke posting on a website. I would be surprised if he reads PB...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Thank you.

I will next be doing some work in Paris. The cheeky sods asked if I could do a talk in French. Which I probably could, though it would take a lot of preparation to have it land well and have the same impact. It’s not just a question of translation. But I’d enjoy the challenge and it could open up all sorts of possibilities.
    I definitely couldn’t do a talk in French, despite having a GCSE in it. It’s a little weird that the whole world now speaks my native language, and a lot of other speakers do so in others.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Thank you.

I definitely couldn’t do a talk in French, despite having a GCSE in it. It’s a little weird that the whole world now speaks my native language, and a lot of other speakers do so in others.
    I used to be able to speak fluent French, now I sound like Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Thank you.

[swaggering] Man, I have GCSE A-grades in French AND German :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Another river of puns.
    He tide and he failed.
    Time to stem the flow
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/25/mass-testing-uncover-spread-coronavirus-britain/

"Thousands of Britons will be tested by GPs for coronavirus, amid fears that the explosion of cases in Europe means there could be far more cases in the UK than are known about.

Mass surveillance will be introduced as Britain ramps up its response to the growing threat, with health planners considering school closures and transport restrictions if the danger spreads."

No indication how the thousands will be selected, but presumably the easiest approach is to check out whoever happens to turn up at the surgery for whatever reason.

We are testing at quite a high rate, and so far so good. Nearly all the identified cases were tied to the Brighton super-spreader.

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1232291331126390784?s=09
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited February 2020
    I had to pause for a moment and to think is this possible, and look at Betfair.

https://twitter.com/Psythor/status/1232426962213376000
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    tlg86 said:

FPT - the Scottish Government appears to be running adverts on the London Underground for people to move to Scotland under the slogan “Scotland is Now”.

It’s kind of weird the Scottish Government wants to attract mainly English immigrants to move into North Britain. Maybe Sturgeon secretly wants us to all move up there so we can vote down independence.

I saw one of those adverts this morning. Perhaps the calculation is that London remainers would vote for independence to get back into the EU.
    Move to Scotland and have a life out of the rat race, you can afford a lovely house and a great life.
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Actual lol

Didn't that used to be a rehab centre only accessible when the tide went out?
    Yes. The history is fabulous. Goes back to Anglo-Saxon and Viking times.

It’s just brilliantly compelling on a winter’s night. The lights of Thames estuary industry stain the dark sky chrome yellow. Water birds trail their weeping calls across the waters. The causeway is immersed.
    Not quite up there with loping. towards us comma, but very good.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Thank you.

The hardest I ever had to do was do a meeting with the French regulator for over two hours on technical enforcement issues in French. That was hard work and tiring. But worth it.

A talk has an element of performance in it so you need to feel really confident about what you are saying and how. And you need to be able to adjust what you are saying for your audience in real-time. That’s not easy even in your native tongue. Anyway I will see. It’s not for a while - and if a client asks it’s good to try and be accommodating.

Cyclefree Franglais on its way!!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

I remain very surprised re- David Steel.Apparently when he raised the issue with Smith in 1979, he believed that there was no ongoing activity and that the allegations related to events from the first half of the 1960s.
    On the specific point , I am unclear as to why Smith's victims were - indeed are - unable to pursue the authorities which provided him with access to them.
    Typical Westminster type actions, a cesspit full of wrong uns
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

I saw one of those adverts this morning. Perhaps the calculation is that London remainers would vote for independence to get back into the EU.
    Move to Scotland and have a life out of the rat race, you can afford a lovely house and a great life.
    Sound advice. I'm near a lovely beach, village with a great pub. 4 bed house with a bit of land - 200k. Commutable to Edinburgh for work.
  • Options
  • Options

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Sound advice. I'm near a lovely beach, village with a great pub. 4 bed house with a bit of land - 200k. Commutable to Edinburgh for work.
    Just really cold most of the time. There is a real noticeable climate change in the 400+ miles up north.
  • Options
    It's mildly startling that more than 25% of all cases outside of China are on one cruise ship.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#case-distribution-outside-china
  • Options
    eadric said:

New Coronavirus in Spain, France, Germany, Oman.

It’s everywhere. Containment has failed. We need to just accept this and accept that many will get it and accept that some will die. It is what it is.

It’s kicking off in France. Train and lorry drivers refusing to drive to Spain and Italy.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

Whatever you do, don't google for Wallis Simpson Magic Genitalia
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree Franglais on its way!!

I hope your daughter has recovered ok
  • Options
    eadric said:

malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

Typical Westminster type actions, a cesspit full of wrong uns
    Whereas Holyrood, with Salmond (rape trial), Sheridan (omg), Sturgeon (exotic private life, to put it mildly) is an image of monastic asceticism?
    Well apart from the odd 16 year who looks cute in his rugby gear. But you can't have everything.
  • Options
    eadric said:

It’s everywhere. Containment has failed. We need to just accept this and accept that many will get it and accept that some will die. It is what it is.

No, containment remains the best policy. It reduces numbers affected, and allows health systems to cope. Isolation and quarantine are the oldest but still best control methods.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

Earlier I googled 'Harvey Weinstein deformed genitals', I can cope with anything.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

It never works out well.

Earlier I googled 'Harvey Weinstein deformed genitals', I can cope with anything.
    Was that your doorbell? Who would have thought that the rozzers would be out at this time of night?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

No, containment remains the best policy. It reduces numbers affected, and allows health systems to cope. Isolation and quarantine are the oldest but still best control methods.
    The only containment that seems to work is China style lockdowns that ends with traumatised communities, and suicides.

Are we able or willing to do that?

I doubt it.
    To stop maybe 1/100 old people dying? Doubt it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's mildly startling that more than 25% of all cases outside of China are on one cruise ship.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#case-distribution-outside-china

The modelling would suggest gross under measurement in Iran. With refugee movements that could prove to be a big problem.

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1232392940074545154?s=19
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

The modelling would suggest gross under measurement in Iran. With refugee movements that could prove to be a big problem.

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1232392940074545154?s=19
    Sure, given their number of dead their number of infected must be in the low thousands.
This discussion has been closed.