Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds Leave voters taking a more lenient view of Prince

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I voted Leave.

I would have no problem with Prince Andrew sharing a cell with Harvey Weinstein.

What stories they could swap, eh?

Today I learned that Harvey Weinstein has deformed genitals, said genitals were photographed and shown to the jury.

I really wish I hadn't read that.
    Clinton had the same problem.

Top tip: if the same applies to you, do a Grundy and get the photo out there asap. Thereafter it proves nothing that an accuser can describe the offending member to a jury.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

By the end of the week the FTSE will be back to levels last seen in the aftermath of thr Brexit vote.

Hopefully I am down almost 30K in two days.
    Told you not to invest in Chinese river cruise holidays.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited February 2020

TGOHF666 said:

Uh oh - Richard has gone full Meeks.

Never go full Meeks.

Actually I don't agree with Alastair's views on this, in particular his views that the government is scapegoating immigrants or making EU citizens feel unwelcome.
    Probably best waiting until the govt actually implements something you don’t agree with before suggesting it is worse than Gordon Browns ruinous regime - rather than listening to the bubble squawk and squeal and taking it as gospel.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

By the end of the week the FTSE will be back to levels last seen in the aftermath of thr Brexit vote.

It does make you wonder how far the world's markets are going to fall

I am surprised that Canada and west coast of US has not been effected yet due to the large movement of Chinese and Japanese backwards and forwards across the pacific

I am interested, as my wife and I are due to visit Vancouver in May
    We have guests arriving from Vancouver in May. Early May for us.
    12th May for our flight out
    Exactly the same date that I am due to leave for Lombardy.
    I'll be on QM2 headed for New York on that day (fingers-crossed)
    I’ll wave to you as you go past my house on the 6th.

The cruise industry is surely going to be hit hardest - sadly there won’t be anywhere worse to be with a killer virus on the loose.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I voted Leave.

I would have no problem with Prince Andrew sharing a cell with Harvey Weinstein.

Today I learned that Harvey Weinstein has deformed genitals, said genitals were photographed and shown to the jury.

Top tip: if the same applies to you, do a Grundy and get the photo out there asap. Thereafter it proves nothing that an accuser can describe the offending member to a jury.
    That MP for Leigh might have been cleverer than we are crediting, then?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

I am surprised that Canada and west coast of US has not been effected yet due to the large movement of Chinese and Japanese backwards and forwards across the pacific

I booked a trip to Venice and Rome at the start of May.

I think we'll go to York now.
    Will you be eligible to claim reimbursement from travel insurance?
    Generally only if FO advises against all but essential travel.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,979

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

It is very uncertain
    Not unless they cancel it and even then they can say it is act of god and not covered. Doubt many will get refunds.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I voted Leave.

That's Grundy.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

It’ll be a war of words until the end of June, at which point it becomes clear that there will be no extension and everyone has six months to get it sorted.
    They won't have six months. They'll have about a month, two at most. That is for the very obvious reason that it will take time to set up the administrative arrangements for whatever is agreed, otherwise there will be chaos.

Of course, with this government, which is rapidly looking like the worst in my lifetime, it may be that chaos is what we'll get, with businesses and the civil service unable to prepare because they won't know what they're preparing for.
    Confirmation bias
    Pots and kettles come to mind.

It's certainly not conformation bias, I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as this, and also it's bad in a different way from what I was expecting.

Edit: And, on the substantive point, what exactly do you disagree with when I make the completely uncontroversial point that businesses and the civil service will need at least a few months to prepare to implement whatever is agreed?
    That you are looking for it to be bad. It’s not been as bad as I expected - no disasters to dare
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Told you not to invest in Chinese river cruise holidays.
    Yes it was not very wise
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I voted Leave.

:lol:

Some days I wonder whether I can keep up with the level of unintentional comedy in public life!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

IanB2 said:

I think flying is very problematical now
    There’s rows going on with airlines today - passengers refusing to travel but not being offered refunds from the operators, as the planes still fly to schedule.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8041151/Ryanair-easyJet-passengers-angry-airlines-refuse-refund-flights-Italy-amid-Coronavirus.html
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

It is very uncertain
    Not unless they cancel it and even then they can say it is act of god and not covered. Doubt many will get refunds.
    I can cancel the hotel in Vancover upto the day we fly

But I am fairly certain BA may be more of a problem
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

My sell positions from Friday and first thing Monday are now £3,500 in profit. Anyone who had followed me in on lunchtime Monday when some here thought it was too late would, for the same stakes, be up about half of that much by now.

More to come, this week.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

IanB2 said:

I think flying is very problematical now
    Airports/planes are dreadful for passing on germs at the best of times, given the amount of recycled air, but best avoided if possible at the present time.

I came back from the states on Air France via CdG last week, and it was a sea of people in facemasks. Managed to pick up a throat infection from the plane, it was full of kids coming back from Eurodisney.
    Airlines some years back took a decision to downgrade the filters in planes. To save costs. A BA pilot I know was outraged. Not so much petri dishes as flying test tubes now.
    Modern planes such as the 787 have much better electric ventilation systems than the old ones, that used bleed air from the engines and often ended up with oils in the air. The 787 also has a much lower cabin altitude, 5-6,000’, rather than 7-8,000’, which makes for a more comfortable flight and a reduction in jet lag.

The original downgrading of the filters happened when smoking got banned on planes - how did we ever allow that in the first place?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

It is very uncertain
    I can cancel the hotel in Vancover upto the day we fly

But I am fairly certain BA may be more of a problem
    You should be able to switch dates with a change fee
  • Options
    #3: We’ve been tracking Chinese traffic congestion to see if/when the government would start pushing the population to go back to work, and Monday (yesterday) was that day.

Beijing traffic congestion was 2x higher than last week, as was Shanghai’s.
    In Tianjin, traffic levels also rose from last week.
    Shenzhen’s Monday morning commute was as congested as any typical day in 2019.
    Bottom line: whether the Chinese government’s efforts to restart the economy are wise remains to be seen, but the process started in earnest today.

http://datatrekresearch.com/5-data-points-for-a-1000-point-day/
  • Options
    USA:

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” a C.D.C. official said.
  • Options
    malc - your friend the leader of Glasgow Council might be looking for a long holiday - a permanent one...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Funnily enough I was looking at the FCO travel advice for Italy just yesterday. It warns of:

- the Scotland Rugby match in Rome. Presumably a hooligan alert
    - avalanche risk if you go skiing
    - excessively high tides in Venice
    - risk of volcanic eruption and earthquakes near Mr Etna, and in Molise
    - political demonstrations that may occur with no notice
    - possible terrorist attacks

as well as the spread of the killer virus in the North.

• Options
    Charles said:

That you are looking for it to be bad. It’s not been as bad as I expected - no disasters to dare

What on earth do you mean, 'no disasters'? Mislaying a Chancellor just a few weeks before the budget. Getting into a major row with the civil service. Threatening to renege on treaty commitments. Lying about the Irish protocol. Deliberately making it impossible for businesses to prepare for post-phoney-war Brexit. Putting their hands over their ears when the CBI, NFU and many others make very sensible points.

True, not much of the consequences of this has actually hit the fan yet, but in the very short time it has been in office. its record is, as I said, looking to be the worst of the last 50 years.

Maybe I'll be wrong, and Boris will do a major u-turn as he did on the WA. We have to hope that it's all meaningless bluster and he actually intends to agree to whatever the EU proposes by the summer, which is the effective deadline.
  • Options

USA:

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” a C.D.C. official said.

Dow now approaching -500 after more than -1000 yesterday
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

It's very hard to resist the conclusion that Richard Burgon is just a massive wind-up artist, in the Cambridge-originated Monty Python tradition.

To be fair he's never done anything as funny as this comedian, whatever happened to her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5aodBfdFTA&t=5s
    She evolved as a politician, renounced her support of the death penalty and became a liberalising Home Secretary who will probably be the best Home Secretary of the last 27 years?
    Are you the other half of the comedy double act? Your statement is hilarious.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Charles said:

What on earth do you mean, 'no disasters'? Mislaying a Chancellor just a few weeks before the budget. Getting into a major row with the civil service. Threatening to renege on treaty commitments. Lying about the Irish protocol. Deliberately making it impossible for businesses to prepare for post-phoney-war Brexit. Putting their hands over their ears when the CBI, NFU and many others make very sensible points.

True, not much of the consequences of this has actually hit the fan yet, but in the very short time it has been in office. its record is, as I said, looking to be the worst of the last 50 years.

Maybe I'll be wrong, and Boris will do a major u-turn as he did on the WA. We have to hope that it's all meaningless bluster and he actually intends to agree to whatever the EU proposes by the summer, which is the effective deadline.
    The negotiations with the EU will be the least of their problems in four weeks time.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

Pulpstar said:

Where is the thread about the Honorable member for Leigh ?

Well if I was editing PB today we would have had a thread on the degenerate member for Leigh.
    I did worse when I was a student. Big f***ing deal.
    Go on tell.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

My sell positions from Friday and first thing Monday are now £3,500 in profit. Anyone who had followed me in on lunchtime Monday when some here thought it was too late would, for the same stakes, be up about half of that much by now.

More to come, this week.
    Not great but I will just watch it, will bounce back for sure. It is not worth trying to beat the market, I get over 3K a month dividends to reinvest so no big deal. I bought a couple at good prices that will bounce back.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

On topic: age, innit?

No. The split with those under 25 was 50%
    How odd.
    Two competing forces? Perhaps the anti-American sentiment is stronger among under 25s than the anti-royalist sentiment.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Lots of states have recent polls like this with Sanders or Biden swapped. Worrying for Bloomberg, who might come 2nd in a few, 3rd in most, and barely win a state. Given his weakness in California will hurt his delegate total he needs to edge up a bit or he'll be the clear loser on ST and it might be hard to stop voters flowing back to Biden as the more obvious anti-Sanders.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

USA:

Trump is very concerned... about the impact on the stock market.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1232058127740174339
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

malc - your friend the leader of Glasgow Council might be looking for a long holiday - a permanent one...

Harry you seem to think I know or even care about an SNP councillor. Though even if crooked she would be much better than her predecessors , they really were worse than bank robbers.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,158
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Funnily enough I was looking at the FCO travel advice for Italy just yesterday. It warns of:

- the Scotland Rugby match in Rome. Presumably a hooligan alert
    - avalanche risk if you go skiing
    - excessively high tides in Venice
    - risk of volcanic eruption and earthquakes near Mr Etna, and in Molise
    - political demonstrations that may occur with no notice
    - possible terrorist attacks

as well as the spread of the killer virus in the North.

Italy: 7 deaths, 1 recovered out of 283 cases according to Johns Hopkins dashboard.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Charles said:

I voted Leave.

The PMs doctor during the “headless man” incident had the job of inspecting the genitals of all members of the cabinet to identify who was the responsible party
    Family member, was it ... ?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Probably a good day to buy stonks as you'll either make a profit or coronavirus will decimate humanity making the only things of value tinned food and shotguns.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    I think it is fair for the UK to have to comply with the same regulatory requirements Japan and Canada had to for their FTAs and that have been proposed to the US by the EU but no more
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    In case you missed it, there has been some good news from Scotland.

The attempt by an American billionaire to build a golf course on a beautiful coastal site in Sutherland (Coul Links) has been rejected on appeal. Hurrah to that.

At least we have seen some progress since Eck was bedazzled by The Donald and allowed a similar site in Aberdeenshire to be trashed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49733098
  • Options
    Fishing said:

The Tony Benn University could be situated in Caracas and have the following appointments:

The Seamus Milne Professorship of Political Strategy
    The Dianne Abbott Fellowship of Economics and Numeracy
    The Jeremy Corbyn Chair of Lifetime (non-)Achievement
    The Keir Starmer Department of Constructive Ambiguity

The Chancellor should be John McDonnell - never thought I'd say those words.
    Presumably it will have no tuition fees so who pays for it?
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Probably a good day to buy stonks as you'll either make a profit or coronavirus will decimate humanity making the only things of value tinned food and shotguns.

Stonks ?
    You're not Donald Trump, are you ? :smile:
  • Options
    Lord Steel stands down from the Lords, while Corbyn proposes Watson to be elevated.
  • Options

USA:

Trump is very concerned... about the impact on the stock market.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1232058127740174339
    There's a whole thread about that...
    https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/1232072081589796865
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Stonks ?
    This is the best advice, amazing, those who disagree are losers. Everyone knows it. Believe me.

EDIT: THIS IS NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Stonks ?
    This is the best advice, amazing, those who disagree are losers. Everyone knows it. Believe me.

Quite right. This Corvid thing is fake news...
    https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1232071637475975169
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Stonks ?

Nope. This week, markets are heading down.
  • Options
    As a Leaver, I think Randy Andy SHOULD face questioning.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Stonks ?

What a time to be alive! Total information overload and we can't handle it.
  • Options
    Looks like we're heading for no deal.
    .. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

As a Leaver, I think Randy Andy SHOULD face questioning.

Not until Anne Sacoolas comes to the UK for questioning
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Interesting tactic, using both blue and red posters.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Sandpit said:

It’ll be a war of words until the end of June, at which point it becomes clear that there will be no extension and everyone has six months to get it sorted.
    They won't have six months. They'll have about a month, two at most. That is for the very obvious reason that it will take time to set up the administrative arrangements for whatever is agreed, otherwise there will be chaos.

Of course, with this government, which is rapidly looking like the worst in my lifetime, it may be that chaos is what we'll get, with businesses and the civil service unable to prepare because they won't know what they're preparing for.
    Worst in your lifetime?

I didn't realise you were born after Theresa May had resigned, or Gordon Brown. Even my three year old daughter had a worse government in her lifetime.
    The May government was middling, Brown was the worst before this one. But no government in the 50+ years I've been following politics. not even Brown's, has deliberately put fantasy at the centre of its offering, or threatened to renege on treaty commitments which it signed just a few weeks ago, or had 'fuck business' as its watchword.
    Uh oh - Richard has gone full Meeks.

Never go full Meeks.
    "You never go full Remainer!"
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    edited February 2020
  • Options

"Burgon proposes ‘Tony Benn University of Political Education’"

- after focus groups preferrred it to "Gulag".
    This bloke is a comedy act isn't he? At some point it will be revealed that he was an actor on the lines of Ali G all along.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YYroSudUs
  • Options

This bloke is a comedy act isn't he? At some point it will be revealed that he was an actor on the lines of Ali G all along.
    That first set of Ali G interviews, from 'The Eleven O'Clock Show" are absolute comedy genius.

Because no-one knew the character, he was able to prank a lot of people who had people whose job it was to make sure they didn't inadvertently get interviewed for a comedy show!
  • Options
    If Sanders wants to win he needs to keep it entirely focussed domestically.

The commie foreign policy stuff on Cuba and Israel is straight out of the Corbyn playbook and will have the same result.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That first set of Ali G interviews, from 'The Eleven O'Clock Show" are absolute comedy genius.

Because no-one knew the character, he was able to prank a lot of people who had people whose job it was to make sure they didn't inadvertently get interviewed for a comedy show!
    When he went to America was absolutely hilarious because we all knew the character and he'd refined it but the Americans didn't have a clue!
  • Options
    Boris Johnson is 1000/1 to be next London Mayor at the market over on Betfair.

You do wonder why they’ve even bothered to list a price.
  • Options
    FPT - the Scottish Government appears to be running adverts on the London Underground for people to move to Scotland under the slogan “Scotland is Now”.

It’s kind of weird the Scottish Government wants to attract mainly English immigrants to move into North Britain. Maybe Sturgeon secretly wants us to all move up there so we can vote down independence.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

I think it is fair for the UK to have to comply with the same regulatory requirements Japan and Canada had to for their FTAs and that have been proposed to the US by the EU but no more
    Well, almost all FTAs contain provisions about not using - for example - product standards as a way of discriminating against imports. So, if we sign up to those, we won't have control of our laws - but it's no more severe than in other FTAs.
  • Options

FPT - the Scottish Government appears to be running adverts on the London Underground for people to move to Scotland under the slogan “Scotland is Now”.

It’s kind of weird the Scottish Government wants to attract mainly English immigrants to move into North Britain. Maybe Sturgeon secretly wants us to all move up there so we can vote down independence.

Scotland is now what?

Scotland is now North of England, officially.

It reminds me of possibly the worst corporate slogan in history. Hitachi: Inspire the Next.

Inspire the next what???
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Well, almost all FTAs contain provisions about not using - for example - product standards as a way of discriminating against imports. So, if we sign up to those, we won't have control of our laws - but it's no more severe than in other FTAs.
    Regaining control of our borders and doing our own trade deals is the main thing, we can then diverge away in terms of other regulations as far as standard FTAs allow but should not have to align further than is required by standard FTAs
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

I saw one of those adverts this morning. Perhaps the calculation is that London remainers would vote for independence to get back into the EU.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    Monkeys said:

Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Stonks ?

What a time to be alive! Total information overload and we can't handle it.
    https://twitter.com/baseballminutia/status/1232075942886928389
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    No 10 are positioning the talks to fail. Even they aren't so infantile to think "S'not fair!" will cut any ice in an international negotiation.

On Richard Nabavi's point, the Maoists have taken over this government. Suella, Priti, Dom1 and Dom2 are running the show. Any previous government would be ashamed to be fronted by that bunch.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

I saw one of those adverts this morning. Perhaps the calculation is that London remainers would vote for independence to get back into the EU.
    Half the regular users of the London underground will be Leave voting Home counties Tory commuters
  • Options
    FF43 said:

No 10 are positioning the talks to fail. Even they aren't so infantile to think "S'not fair!" will cut any ice in an international negotiation.

On Richard Nabavi's point, the Maoists have taken over this government. Suella, Priti, Dom1 and Dom2 are running the show. Any previous government would be ashamed to be fronted by that bunch.

No previous Government wanted to and was able to deliver Brexit
  • Options
    Bloomberg is getting shorter, and Sanders longer, for some reason.

Spreadsheet results to follow...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Looks like we're heading for no deal.
    .. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The Withdrawal Agreement was the Deal, as Boris said we might just be heading to Australia style trade terms rather than Canada style trade terms with the EU
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Bloomberg is getting shorter, and Sanders longer, for some reason.

Spreadsheet results to follow...

Bloomberg’s agents probably pumping some money in to boost him before Super Tuesday.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Half the regular users of the London underground will be Leave voting Home counties Tory commuters
    I don’t think that many pensioners work.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

A majority of over 45s voted Leave, not just pensioners.

If only pensioners had voted Leave then Remain would have won
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scotland is now what?

It reminds me of possibly the worst corporate slogan in history. Hitachi: Inspire the Next.

Inspire the next what???
    Unfortunately, that sort of infuriating grammatically incorrect sloganising is as common as muck nowadays.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

In which case, they might be overthinking it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Regaining control of our borders and doing our own trade deals is the main thing, we can then diverge away in terms of other regulations as far as standard FTAs allow but should not have to align further than is required by standard FTAs
    But what's a standard FTA?

At the one end you have EFTA/EEA (which, by the way allows your own trade deals), but doesn't allow really any product standards deviance (outside agriculture).

NAFTA/USMCA allows slightly more deviance in product standards, but contains provisions that disallow discrimination against LBGT in the workplace (Justin Trudeau managed to sneak that one in because Trump was so desperate to claim victory).

The majority of FTAs between developed countries include provisions on state aid. So you can't subsidise a business that then sells into another country putting people out of work there.

And in a minority of FTAs, there are provisions about allowing foreign countries access to service markets and exemptions to domestic legislation regarding ownership rules.

I think we're going to be very keen on the last of these, but to get it, we're probably going to have to make concessions in other areas.
  • Options
    Another advert Fubar is HSBC.

They used to have “The World’s Local Bank”, with an interesting and amusing ad range to match. This included the British guy who kept politely cleaning his plate, only for the Chinese to keep restocking it - ultimately with a giant snake. It worked because you got the reach of a large global bank but understood it would adapt and be sensitive to the needs of local markets, with a local presence.

For some reason they ditched that shortly after the Brexit referendum and instead embarked on a weird set of citizen of nowhere ads telling us that Britain is not an island. There’s an irritating tv ad with Richard Ayoade. And some others which make no sense at all.

It’s almost as if the HSBC board were so infuriated by Brexit they thought, “sod the growth; we need to educate our thick-as-mince customers.”

And they’re now making mass redundancies for their trouble.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Re this FPT

Campaigners led by Gina Miller are demanding the chancellor launch an independent review into Andrew Bailey’s appointment as Bank of England governor, saying his tenure at the Financial Conduct Authority was characterised by a “toxic cocktail of negligence, incompetence and indifference” that allowed a string of financial scandals to go unchecked.

The group has written to the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and the head of the Treasury select committee, Conservative MP Mel Stride, saying Bailey must answer questions over scandals that wiped out the savings of small investors during his watch as the chief executive of the City regulator.

Gina has a point. Bailey’s tenure at the FCA was a bit ho-hum. See here - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/beams-and-motes/ - and here - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/inquiring-minds/.
  • Options
    Dem Nom under-round update:

Back prices for layable candatates:

Sanders 1.98
    Bloomberg 4.6
    Buttigeig 16
    Biden 12
    Clinton H 50
    Warren 75
    Klobuchar 470
    Obama M 230

LOL that KLOBUCHAR is more than double the price of Michelle Obama, who not only isn’t running but isn’t even an active politician beyond people’s hopes and dreams.

In the past day, Sanders has gone out and everyone else come in.

Sum of those back prices, 90.8%, 9.2% under-round

Sum of the lay prices for these candidates, 88.8%, so 11.2% profit to be made by laying them all (including the two non-running former First Ladies) if any one becomes the nominee. That represents an 8/1 shot, I’d suggest that the actual chance of conference shenanigans is much higher.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scotland is now what?

Inspire the next what???
    Next Generation.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

#classicdom
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Re this FPT

Campaigners led by Gina Miller are demanding the chancellor launch an independent review into Andrew Bailey’s appointment as Bank of England governor, saying his tenure at the Financial Conduct Authority was characterised by a “toxic cocktail of negligence, incompetence and indifference” that allowed a string of financial scandals to go unchecked.

The group has written to the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and the head of the Treasury select committee, Conservative MP Mel Stride, saying Bailey must answer questions over scandals that wiped out the savings of small investors during his watch as the chief executive of the City regulator.

Gina has a point. Bailey’s tenure at the FCA was a bit ho-hum. See here - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/beams-and-motes/ - and here - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/inquiring-minds/.

She may well have a point, but she would have been miles better off getting someone else to make it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

I’m one of them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    rcs1000 said:

Scotland is now what?

Inspire the next what???
    I’ve been to Next. Wasn’t inspired.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Sandpit said:

Dem Nom under-round update:

Back prices for layable candatates:

Sanders 1.98
    Bloomberg 4.6
    Buttigeig 16
    Biden 12
    Clinton H 50
    Warren 75
    Klobuchar 470
    Obama M 230

LOL that KLOBUCHAR is more than double the price of Michelle Obama, who not only isn’t running but isn’t even an active politician beyond people’s hopes and dreams.

In the past day, Sanders has gone out and everyone else come in.

Sum of those back prices, 90.8%, 9.2% under-round

Sum of the lay prices for these candidates, 88.8%, so 11.2% profit to be made by laying them all (including the two non-running former First Ladies) if any one becomes the nominee. That represents an 8/1 shot, I’d suggest that the actual chance of conference shenanigans is much higher.

Edit: whoops, I got that conclusion wrong. It should say that the odds should be much higher on conference shenanigans, not the chance. There’s much less chance than the market is suggesting. It should be 30/1 or 40/1 rather than 8/1.

Adjusting Bernie’s price to make a round 100% market has him at 1.67 rather than 1.98.
  • Options

Charles said:

Richard - a long list of items that voters support or don’t give a toss about.

Some vested interests are squealing - not many voters will complain

I’d have thought someone as thoughtful as you would have learned from recent events - the game has changed.

Buttering up the civil service and Sir Bufton from the CBI are what did for Mrs May.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

But what's a standard FTA?

At the one end you have EFTA/EEA (which, by the way allows your own trade deals), but doesn't allow really any product standards deviance (outside agriculture).

NAFTA/USMCA allows slightly more deviance in product standards, but contains provisions that disallow discrimination against LBGT in the workplace (Justin Trudeau managed to sneak that one in because Trump was so desperate to claim victory).

The majority of FTAs between developed countries include provisions on state aid. So you can't subsidise a business that then sells into another country putting people out of work there.

And in a minority of FTAs, there are provisions about allowing foreign countries access to service markets and exemptions to domestic legislation regarding ownership rules.

I think we're going to be very keen on the last of these, but to get it, we're probably going to have to make concessions in other areas.
    EFTA/EEA also requires free movement and European court jurisdiction (though allows greater control of fishing waters which the EU also seems to be wanting to deny).

We should be happy to agree the terms and regulatory alignment the EU required of Canada for its FTA but no more
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Scotland is now what?

Inspire the next what???
    I can't imagine your antipathy for Nike's slogan.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Dow down over 900 pts again today. Down 2400 in 3.5 days.

Think i will invest at 20000
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Curious that the Queen has been harsher on the Sussexes than she has on her favorite child, the friend of the nonce.

You keep making this point and, with all due respect, it’s nonsense. HMQ has not been harsh with the Sussexes, who chose to leave the country and stop being working royals and who have not lost their titles. She made a notably warm statement about Meghan when agreement was reached, something which has not been reciprocated but rather thrown back in her face.

Andrew has been retired, not promoted to Admiral as is apparently normal (I know, I don’t understand it either), kept off official Palace guest lists, lost some of his patronages, lost his Palace office and had his birthday party cancelled. Nor do you know what has been said in private. Mothers often have to deal with wayward sons and they will, believe me, be both furious and still want to hold out a hand to try and keep the relationship going.

Andrew is an arrogant, entitled and rather dim-witted arse with very poor judgment but, so far, has not been charged with anything.

Being arrogant, entitled and having poor judgment are charges which could, quite frankly, be laid against the Duke of Sussex based on the last few months.
    Excellent post.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scotland is now what?

Inspire the next what???
    I can't imagine your antipathy for Nike's slogan.
    The only issue with Nike's slogan is they're missing the F out of JFDI.
This discussion has been closed.