Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds Leave voters taking a more lenient view of Prince

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

New Coronavirus in Spain, France, Germany, Oman.

It’s everywhere. Containment has failed. We need to just accept this and accept that many will get it and accept that some will die. It is what it is.

No, containment remains the best policy. It reduces numbers affected, and allows health systems to cope. Isolation and quarantine are the oldest but still best control methods.
    The only containment that seems to work is China style lockdowns that ends with traumatised communities, and suicides.

Are we able or willing to do that?

I doubt it.
    To stop maybe 1/100 old people dying? Doubt it.
    I value old people, and it is still a considerable mortality rate in the middle aged so yes containment and quarantine is worth it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

It’s everywhere. Containment has failed. We need to just accept this and accept that many will get it and accept that some will die. It is what it is.

No, containment remains the best policy. It reduces numbers affected, and allows health systems to cope. Isolation and quarantine are the oldest but still best control methods.
    The only containment that seems to work is China style lockdowns that ends with traumatised communities, and suicides.

I doubt it.
    I value old people, and it is still a considerable mortality rate in the middle aged so yes containment and quarantine is worth it.
    Before I weigh in on this, can you just confirm in which year middle age begins?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

I doubt it.
    When your parents are in their 60s I'm massively in favour of containment and quarantine.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

I doubt it.
    If it worked or even bought us more time for a vaccine I would totally agree. The evidence so far is mixed although more developed countries (other than Japan) seem to be doing ok.
  • Options

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

I am puzzled by this sudden mass outbreak of expertise on the subject of other people’s marriages.

I'm an expert in marriages except my own.

As a bit of advice to the Royals, there should be a ban on senior Royals marrying a Yank.

It never works out well.
    For the Royal concerned or for the institution?

I can't think of a Royal who has regretted marrying a Yank.
    For the institution, but for others.

There's a strong case that Wallis Simpson was responsible for the early death of King George VI.

Maybe tobacco had something to play too....perhaps one of your sillier posts comrade....

If Wallis hadn't forced King Edward to abdicate, then his brother wouldn't have become King and had to deal with WWII.

Because of his speech problems, the King smoked heavily to deal with and the pressures of WWII.

Queen Mary of Teck and others blamed Simpson for the death of King George VI.
    That would make a good film, it could be executive produced by Harvey Weinstein...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

I doubt it.
    Before I weigh in on this, can you just confirm in which year middle age begins?
    Since I turned 40 middle age is 5 years plus my current age.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,314
    edited February 2020
    Sky paper reviewer on covid -19 says it is very exciting and repeats it

People have died, thousands suffering, and real economic damage is possible

And its 'exciting'. She needs to have more respect
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    New thread.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

I doubt it.
    The mortality rate in the fifties is 1.3%, 0.4% in the forties, probably. This graph from the CDC models what containment does:

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,983
    eadric said:

malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

Incidentally, David Steel’s failure to act over Cyril Smith is a perfect example of the behaviours I described yesterday explaining why people don’t speak up about wrongdoing.

I remain very surprised re- David Steel.Apparently when he raised the issue with Smith in 1979, he believed that there was no ongoing activity and that the allegations related to events from the first half of the 1960s.
    On the specific point , I am unclear as to why Smith's victims were - indeed are - unable to pursue the authorities which provided him with access to them.
    Typical Westminster type actions, a cesspit full of wrong uns
    Whereas Holyrood, with Salmond (rape trial), Sheridan (omg), Sturgeon (exotic private life, to put it mildly) is an image of monastic asceticism?
    What bollox is that , one to be proven , one went to a swingers club ( WOW really bad ) and one libellous rumour.
    You paint a really amazing picture.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

kle4 said:

Charles said:

I think you are being harsh on Harry here.

He’s a deeply troubled young man who has been callously manipulated by a selfish fading actress. He believes that in leaving the royal family he is protecting his family against what happened to his mother.

I think that's really harsh. I don't think he's been "callously manipulated" whatsoever and I think the way his wife has been treated, including remarks like that quite frankly, is quite disgusting.

If someone comes after my wife I will back her to the hilt! Any decent man would.
    Why has she prevented her father from seeing baby Archie?
    Why is that our business?
    Given that her dad has only just been recovering from heart surgery, is it not unnecessarily cruel?

I mean, how many PBers have prevented their own father seeing their grandchild(ren)?
    None of your business.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    This is a few years old baseline:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/highestnumberofexcesswinterdeathssince19992000/2015-11-25

Basically 20000-50000 excess winter deaths per annum is normal range in the UK.

If everyone in the whole country caught it, we'd be well outside range, but that's a daft base assumption.

I'm also noting Italian reports, they are expecting mortality touching 3% due to somewhat more elderly population even than China. The average age of death in the first 11 victims in Italy is over 80 - I'm not saying that doesn't matter, of course, but obviously the higher that average the better.
This discussion has been closed.