Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie edges to odds-on for the nomination as the Nevada caucu

1235»

Comments

• Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited February 2020
    All major TV networks have now projected Nevada for Sanders, CNN is still holding out.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If the US used a raw popular vote what's to stop a candidate just campaigning heavily in California and New York, and **** the rest of the country? Do you honestly think such a situation would be tenable long term?

I don't think that works.

Ultimately, no matter how much you campaign there's a ceiling of support in any particular state. So, if one candidate campaigned only in California, they might get to 65% (perhaps) of the vote there.

Sure ok, California, New York and Texas then.
    RobD said:

Best place for NV results? 538 seem to have taken down their live tracker.

CNN claim to be on 10% in the popular vote.

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/state/nevada?xid=ec_crm_nv_d
    Ok.

But by that standard, candidates for the French Presidential election would only campaign in Paris, Marseilles and Lyon.

But they don't. Because campaigning in the same place results in rapidly diminishing returns.
    The winning french candidates only campaign in Paris.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Quincel said:

This has been going around a lot but it isn't true. Al Gore in 2000 won every state. Some people are ignoring that by saying Sanders has won all 3 for the first time in a 'competitive' contest, but 2000 was only not competitive because Al Gore won so easily. It's not like her was an incumbent not challenged.
    I think it's fine to draw a distinction between cases where there's a genuinely competitive contest and one that only technically has multiple candidates but is really basically a coronation
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Sanders seems to have been stuck on 6,048 final round votes for a long time.

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/state/nevada?xid=ec_btn_nevada
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If the US used a raw popular vote what's to stop a candidate just campaigning heavily in California and New York, and **** the rest of the country? Do you honestly think such a situation would be tenable long term?

Ultimately, no matter how much you campaign there's a ceiling of support in any particular state. So, if one candidate campaigned only in California, they might get to 65% (perhaps) of the vote there.

RobD said:

Ok.

But by that standard, candidates for the French Presidential election would only campaign in Paris, Marseilles and Lyon.

But they don't. Because campaigning in the same place results in rapidly diminishing returns.
    Sure they do.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sanders seems to have been stuck on 6,048 final round votes for a long time.

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/state/nevada?xid=ec_btn_nevada

538 has it as 10% in, with

CANDIDATE FIRST ALIGNMENT FINAL ALIGNMENT CHANGE
    Sanders 34.5% 41.5% +7.0
    Biden 16.8 18.6 +1.8
    Buttigieg 15.5 16.8 +1.3
    Warren 12.9 10.8 -2.1
    Klobuchar 9.7 7.3 -2.4
    Steyer 8.9 4.3 -4.6
    Uncommitted 0.6 0.4 -0.2
    Gabbard 0.5 0.1 -0.4
  • Options
    So about that Warren surge we were supposed to see at Bernie's expense...
  • Options

So about that Warren surge we were supposed to see at Bernie's expense...

The only question is whether Buttigieg will pass Biden for second place.

My money is on yes, but we'll see.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited February 2020

Quincel said:

This has been going around a lot but it isn't true. Al Gore in 2000 won every state. Some people are ignoring that by saying Sanders has won all 3 for the first time in a 'competitive' contest, but 2000 was only not competitive because Al Gore won so easily. It's not like her was an incumbent not challenged.
    I think it's fine to draw a distinction between cases where there's a genuinely competitive contest and one that only technically has multiple candidates but is really basically a coronation
    I don't object to that distinction, but I think in this context it renders the 'First 3 time winner' boast a bit meaningless. Because Gore didn't face little opposition because he was an incumbent, he faced little opposition because he scared them off by being such a strong candidate. In my mind the point of this fact is to stress how strong the Sanders campaign is, but the fact Gore didn't face a competitive primary showed his strength; so the distinction here is misleading as opposed to helpful.

Also, Gore did face a recent (at the time) 3-term senator, so while I agree this time is more competitive I'd question if we should really classify 2000 as not a competitive primary.
  • Options
    Watching Mayor Pete's speech right now. If I didn't know better I'd think he'd just won Nevada.

Then again, you'd have thought Amy Klobuchar had come close to winning if you only heard her speech...
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

I don't object to that distinction, but I think in this context it renders the 'First 3 time winner' boast a bit meaningless. Because Gore didn't face little opposition because he was an incumbent, he faced little opposition because he scared them off by being such a strong candidate. In my mind the point of this fact is to stress how strong the Sanders campaign is, but the fact Gore didn't face a competitive primary showed his strength; so the distinction here is misleading as opposed to helpful.

Also, Gore did face a recent (at the time) 3-term senator, so while I agree this time is more competitive I'd question if we should really classify 2000 as not a competitive primary.
    But the point is that somebody winning the first three states has always, up until now, indicated a walkover. There hasn't been a case of somebody coming first in those states then being seriously challenged for the remainder of the race.

I don't really put much weight on those rules of thumb in political predictions (insert xkcd comic here), and that includes this case. Just posted it as it was interesting.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

But the point is that somebody winning the first three states has always, up until now, indicated a walkover. There hasn't been a case of somebody coming first in those states then being seriously challenged for the remainder of the race.

I don't really put much weight on those rules of thumb in political predictions (insert xkcd comic here), and that includes this case. Just posted it as it was interesting.
    Although if you turn it around and say "how has a candidate averaging 30% in the first three states done?" It looks rather different
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Fair enough if that's your reading of it, but I must say my reading of pointing out Sanders has won the first 3 states isn't to suggest the race is surprisingly close but to boost the claim that Sanders is remarkably strong. In which case I'd argue as below that it's misleading to suggest his achievement is unprecedented.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    edited February 2020

eadric said:

No, that really just happened, about an hour ago. I won't name his hospital obviously, but it is well known.

I was astonished, to be honest, I thought all health bigwigs would be as prepped as Foxy. It was disquieting. And I was actually seeking reassurance.

For more disquiet, see this thread from a guy at John Hopkins Uni, who has been a model of calm until now

https://twitter.com/T_Inglesby/status/1231368528416190466?s=20

Sure it happened.

When every doctor and expert is publicly saying the exact opposite, then some hypochondriac on the web who is definitely not a fiction author is saying the opposite . . . whom should we believe?
    Veterans will remember the anecdote about the ISIS cell in the dry cleaners...
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Ok.

Sure they do.
    Surely we all recall HYUFD stubbornly refusing to accept that Le Pen didn’t win by a landslide....? Hang on, maybe the US system has merits... (although Le Pen/Trump...)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,633
  • Options
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Looks like Sanders by KO in Vegas to me
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh yes.

He's definitely favourite now. Unless the moderate lane gets uncrowded real fast, it's all over.
  • Options
    Sanders at 47% in Clark. Most racially diverse in NV ?
  • Options
    Buttigieg doing well in the arse end of nowhere places. Matches IA I guess
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh yes.

He's definitely favourite now. Unless the moderate lane gets uncrowded real fast, it's all over.
    Both billionaire egotists have declared there sticking around for Super Tuesday, so I think that’s it.
    Biden is weak enough that it would be a poor gamble for (say) Buttigieg to drop out and endorse him... and Warren on 9% just thanked Nevada for “keeping her in the race”...

This race is analogous to the last Parliament - almost perfectly designed to prevent any meaningful deals, and thus leading to an outcome the majority wanted to avoid.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh yes.

Both billionaire egotists have declared there sticking around for Super Tuesday, so I think that’s it.
    Biden is weak enough that it would be a poor gamble for (say) Buttigieg to drop out and endorse him... and Warren on 9% just thanked Nevada for “keeping her in the race”...

This race is analogous to the last Parliament - almost perfectly designed to prevent any meaningful deals, and thus leading to an outcome the majority wanted to avoid.
    I think that's excellent analysis.

The only way Sanders does not end up nominee is if Obama and Pelosi and Schumer and the Clintons get on the phone this weekend and essentially force two of Buttigieg, Biden and Baemy to quit the race and endorse the other.
  • Options
    One thing I have noted with US TV, Geico's advertising spend must be even bigger than Bloomberg's
  • Options
    Tyson back in the ring with Holyfield
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tyson back in the ring with Holyfield

So soon after his round with Big_G yesterday ?
  • Options
    Caucus system helping Sanders here tbh
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Heh Boxing pickers....

They are coming out

My picks...

If Tyson stays the course...a unanimous card will look something like 117/110; 116/111, 115/112

Otherwise a KO- Wilder wins round 7
  • Options
    Interesting polling on climate change:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/02/poll-us-voters-really-do-care-about-climate-change/606907/
    Now one of the top two issues (just below healthcare) for all Democrats - and the most polarised issue, including abortion, between Republicans and Democrats.
  • Options
    Almost 14 foot of reach between Fury and Wilder. Battle of the orangutans !
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,900
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Caucus system helping Sanders here tbh

Yep, his opposition is split and he’s going to clean up a load of delegates.
    Sanders in to 1.93 now, Bloomberg 5 and everyone else flying out.

Amy is now nearly double the price of Michelle Obama!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Almost 14 foot of reach between Fury and Wilder. Battle of the orangutans !

You have to love Tyson...his entrance is something else

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Tom Steyer and Deval Patrick are now unlayable, so eight candidates remain in the market (including the two First Ladies).

89.25% on the eight, that’s a massive under-round. Someone has to win this, it’s not like a boxing match where a draw gets engineered and everyone gets paid loads more to do it all over again next year!
  • Options
    These Vegas great fights are something else...they know how to do showmanship
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    What the actual f..... Have been watching a local satellite channel that advertised the fight, they’ve shown the whole undercard and pulled the broadcast just as they entered the ring - now expecting me to call a number in Turkey for PPV online. Grrrr.......

Eventually found another way. Commentary in French!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One thing I have noted with US TV, Geico's advertising spend must be even bigger than Bloomberg's

Three of the top five TV advertisers in the US are auto insurers.

It's why I'm going to kick their asses.
  • Options
    First round to Fury.
  • Options
    Interesting (though it probably doesn’t matter much now):

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/22/bernie-sanders-nevada-2020-election-116762
    ... voters who decided in the days following the debate were roughly divided between supporting Sanders (24%), Pete Buttigieg (21%), Warren (21%), and Biden (19%)....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

That seems like a garbage statement. The Dems lost 2016 because of differential turnoit not swing voters.
    The Dems lost 2016 because of swing voters in key sates like Pennsylvania and Michigan.
    The Dems lost?

Hillary 48%
    Trump 46%

:innocent:
    Yes the Dems lost.

Hillary 227
    Trump 304

Again its like saying the winner of the Premier League is the club that scores more goals rather than gets most points. You get points by winning individual games over the 38 games. You get electoral college votes by winning individual states over the 50 states.
    Or alternatively, one could say the Dems got the backing of more American voters than Trump did:

Hillary 65,853,514
    Trump 62,984,828
    Please stop this petty trolling. No one is ever denying that she got more votes so why trot it out like people are denying it? You are able to read so you know thats not what people are doing.

I get you find it funny but come on, there are limits.

A pleading request.
    Because the way people talk about Trump is if he is some savant like genius who stole all the Dem voters from Hilary and has some special unbreakable bond with the common man making him uniquely popular.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Gabs3 said:

Alistair said:

That seems like a garbage statement. The Dems lost 2016 because of differential turnoit not swing voters.
    The Dems lost 2016 because of swing voters in key sates like Pennsylvania and Michigan.
    The Dems lost?

Hillary 48%
    Trump 46%

:innocent:
    Yes the Dems lost.

Hillary 227
    Trump 304

Hillary 65,853,514
    Trump 62,984,828
    Which is no more a relevant metric than determining the winner of the league by goals scored, or total possession.

The objective is to win games/states.
    More Americans voted for Hillary than Trump.

Hillary WON the whole USA.
    The whole USA is not a contest any more than the whole Premier League is a single match which Man City is winning this season due to scoring more goals.

There were 50 distinct contests in 2016 not one.
    But there's only one President for the WHOLE of the USA.

Hillary WON the WHOLE of the USA.
    No you're wrong. There's one President for the whole 50 States of the USA.

More American states voted for Trump than Hillary. By design the 50 States are not one State.

Search your feelings, Philip. You will know the crappiness of the Electoral College to be true!
    The electoral college being set proportionate to size +2 Senators is designed deliberately to ensure that the small states concerns aren't overlooked by the large states. Its a deliberate mechanism.
    That isn't true at all. The electoral college was designed so that southern states could reflect their slave populations in their share of political power, without needing to worry about giving them a vote. It wasn't some carefully arranged setup from a unanimous decision of wise elders. It was the result of a hard fought negotiation between competing interests.
    Yes, the Senate was setup to give small states a voice. The Electoral College was setup because of slavery.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

dr_spyn said:

Enjoyed a cruise up and down The Adriatic in 2018, huge respect for the entertainments on board, made the sun deck a haven of peace and quiet, and a good place for an evening's reading. Was happy to explore quite a few destinations on foot.

The cooler weather on a 2019 voyage in The Baltic was more taxing, had to wear warmer pullovers and woolly hats. Downside was being herded to and from destinations in St Petersburg, offset by visits to naval museums elsewhere.

Did you stop in Gothenburg?
    Yes - headed to Haga then on to Botanic Gardens, which were well worth the effort, plenty of insect eating pitcher plants amongst other delights. Downside was not going to the Volvo Museum next to the mooring berth.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Alistair said:

Because the way people talk about Trump is if he is some savant like genius who stole all the Dem voters from Hilary and has some special unbreakable bond with the common man making him uniquely popular.

Quite. It's bollox. It was an incredible achievement to do what he did in 2016 but it was also a fluke of freakish dimensions. He genuinely has a much better chance this time - is the betting favourite even - but perversely is almost certainly going to lose. Funny old game, politics.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh yes.

I think that's excellent analysis.

The only way Sanders does not end up nominee is if Obama and Pelosi and Schumer and the Clintons get on the phone this weekend and essentially force two of Buttigieg, Biden and Baemy to quit the race and endorse the other.
    I don't understand why you still seem to think that Joe is fishing in the same pool as Amy and Pete. They're all moderates but Joe is counting on black voters whereas they're Pete and Amy's weakness.

Buttigeig or Klobuchar dropping out would hurt Sanders but Biden dropping probably wouldn't. It might even help him- see South Carolina for an immediate example of why.
This discussion has been closed.