Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie edges to odds-on for the nomination as the Nevada caucu

Comments

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

OMG look, in news no-one expected, China now admits the virus did NOT start in Wuhan seafood market, which is just 200m from a laboratory investigating viruses in bats.

My God, where did this virus, which came from bats, actually originate?

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1180429.shtml

I really respect your knowledge and interest in this issue but maybe time to dial the panic down a bit
    If it weren't for me, none of you would have even HEARD of this virus, and you'd still be talking about wage levels in care homes.
    Now that is just plain silly.

Diamond Princess at the heart of the issue is a ship my wife and I have spent 33 days on between Canada and China in the last five years and we have followed the crisis on board daily

Furthermore your comment insults the intelligence of posters on this forum

You need to get a sense of perspective or lose creditabilty
    Chillax dude.

I have perspective. See my earlier post today.

I reckon our best bet is just to accept this is going to happen, and tell people with the bug to stay home and take their chances. That way we do not savage the economy or crash the NHS.

In the end it will be the inevitable choice, if this does become a massive pandemic. And we will survive just fine.

In the meantime, this is the biggest news story in the world. Not commenting on remarkable developments is a bit daft, on a political betting website.

I hope you and Mrs Big G remain fit and well and go cruising for decades to come!

And now I have some grim domestic shit to deal with. Later.
    Thank you but we have sailed our last cruise having been on many across the world and apart from visiting our eldest son and his wife in Vancouver in May, our international travel days are over and we have no regrets whatsoever

Indeed there is nowhere left we want to visit to be fair

I really do believe that cruises are quite disgusting...and if any good comes out of the Conavirus it is to hit this sickening business that caters for geriatric Tories hard
    So what do you do for your jollies, tyson ?
    I like walking...I average over 21,500 steps per day...

You couldn't pay me to sit on a fucking cruise ship stuck with a bunch of Daily Mail reading grey heads stuffing their faces and professing their admiration for Boris Johnson...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

The change being Trump's margin of victory in November?

Trump is a one term president. It's written.
    Until he wins the second.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

OMG look, in news no-one expected, China now admits the virus did NOT start in Wuhan seafood market, which is just 200m from a laboratory investigating viruses in bats.

I really respect your knowledge and interest in this issue but maybe time to dial the panic down a bit
    If it weren't for me, none of you would have even HEARD of this virus, and you'd still be talking about wage levels in care homes.

Diamond Princess at the heart of the issue is a ship my wife and I have spent 33 days on between Canada and China in the last five years and we have followed the crisis on board daily

Chillax dude.

I reckon our best bet is just to accept this is going to happen, and tell people with the bug to stay home and take their chances. That way we do not savage the economy or crash the NHS.

In the end it will be the inevitable choice, if this does become a massive pandemic. And we will survive just fine.

In the meantime, this is the biggest news story in the world. Not commenting on remarkable developments is a bit daft, on a political betting website.

I hope you and Mrs Big G remain fit and well and go cruising for decades to come!

Thank you but we have sailed our last cruise having been on many across the world and apart from visiting our eldest son and his wife in Vancouver in May, our international travel days are over and we have no regrets whatsoever

I really do believe that cruises are quite disgusting...and if any good comes out of the Conavirus it is to hit this sickening business that caters for geriatric Tories hard
    Tyson. I could not care less about your insulting views and ignorance
    Nevertheless cruise company shares are a clear sell right now, along with travel companies generally
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    edited February 2020
    Alistair said:

Tip tackle? From what I saw through the rose tinted spectacles issued to the whole of Wales on that Saturday Clerc barely left the floor.

Sam, as all can see is gently lowering Clerc to the ground.
  • Options
    I hate to throw petrol on the cruise ship fire but..

https://twitter.com/CholericCleric/status/1231314827676614656?s=20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

I've chickened out a exited the Fury Wilder market even though clearly Wilder will win.

By KO. The 9th.
    Hey, Tony the Hat promised me he goes down in the seventh!
  • Options

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

You obviously could because you wouldn't have replied....
    Persuade me how cruise ships benefit humanity then?

• Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

In the meantime, this is the biggest news story in the world. .
    No it isn't. I'm in Malaysia right now and fewer than 5% are wearing masks. Probably fewer than 1%. Everyone is going about their daily lives. Plenty of suggestion that the virus requires cold conditions to multiply but even I've been surprised by the nonchalance out here in a country with a considerable Chinese population.
    You could look a few hundred km north at Thailand?

https://twitter.com/BangkokJackNews/status/1231226612236136449?s=20

https://twitter.com/GerberKawasaki/status/1230866047516971009?s=20

Confirming the report from my Thai friend that I shared this morning
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

Why should I. Get over yourself Tyson
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

You couldn't pay me to sit on a fucking cruise ship stuck with a bunch of Daily Mail reading grey heads stuffing their faces and professing their admiration for Boris Johnson...
    It certainly underlines the dangers of intensive gammon farming. The ship should be scuttled.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

What have you got against others enjoying themselves?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    RobD said:

Until he wins the second.

That second term is in jail.
  • Options
  • Options
    tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

If it weren't for m.

Chillax dude.

Most cruise passengers come from outside the UK and probably haven't even heard of Boris but your ignorance of cruise ships and the persons sailing on them only matches your prejeudices
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    tyson said:

It's not that bad! A friend who is a big fan perauded me to take one week-long cruise, and it was quite pleasant, with the usual mix of humanity - the star was a modest artist, who spent the whole trip sketching real and imagined maritime sights to amuse his grand-daughter when he arrived. I played a lot of bridge and did some dancing. I wouldn't do it again but it was a nice change.
  • Options

@Big_G_NorthWales

Because you cannot say how cruise ships benefit human beings? They don't. They are decadent, consumeristic, disgusting, vile, pollutants...that unfortunately seem to appeal to aspirational types that vote Tory and of a certain age....
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Paging our local worrywart...

Dramatic surge in UNTRACEABLE clusters of coronavirus cases around the world sparks dire warnings from disease experts that 'containment methods are not going to work'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8032385/Coronavirus-experts-say-NOT-rising-numbers-infections-fear.html

Erm, how do they know they are there if they are "UNTRACEABLE"?

Unless it's an acronym. ;)
    That isn't what I take from it. What I take from it is how the heck does the disease pop up somewhere like that? Assuming it can't teleport. It's a conspiracy that needs a theory. Were the Iranians experimenting with the corona? Do they really have it or are they just using a fake outbreak to control society more and crack down on dissent? Is it an American bio weapon they are trying out on their enemies (in which case look out for it to hit Russia soon)?
    Or just maybe it is possible to travel from China to Iran?
    Who on earth travels from China to Iran?
    People who wish to travel between China and Iran.

What mad kind of question is that?
    Given Mahan runs. flights from Tehran to Shanghai, there must be some demand?

• Options
    tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

Vile human beings eh. Perhaps you should look in the mirror.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It’s Boris isn’t it? He has been off rehearsing.
  • Options
    Given we have Brexit'ed, I think we should also stop being involved in such a corrupt organisation.
  • Options

tyson said:

It's not that bad! A friend who is a big fan perauded me to take one week-long cruise, and it was quite pleasant, with the usual mix of humanity - the star was a modest artist, who spent the whole trip sketching real and imagined maritime sights to amuse his grand-daughter when he arrived. I played a lot of bridge and did some dancing. I wouldn't do it again but it was a nice change.
    Nick......you've not convinced me comrade....

Doubtless transporting 3000 by boat across the Atlantic by boat is better for the environment that a long haul flight...that is the kind of argument that washes with me and I was hoping Big_G to throw back...not the fact that you did a spot of dancing...
  • Options

Given we have Brexit'ed, I think we should also stop being involved in such a corrupt organisation.
    Like Australia and Israel?
  • Options
    Sanders is KILLING it in Nevada apparently. The 2.4 for no contested convention looks pretty good to me.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Is his answer to Trump's 'Basket of deplorables' to amass an army of 'Gypsies, tramps and thieves'?
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    matt said:

Like Australia and Israel?
    The UK leaving Eurovision might make Brexit worth it.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Doubtless transporting 3000 by boat across the Atlantic by boat is better for the environment that a long haul flight...that is the kind of argument that washes with me and I was hoping Big_G to throw back...not the fact that you did a spot of dancing...
    I’m not sure about that - I did that crossing in the autumn and one factoid I picked up was that the ship uses more electricity than the entire population of Southampton. Generated by burning diesel and gas.
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Because you cannot say how cruise ships benefit human beings? They don't. They are decadent, consumeristic, disgusting, vile, pollutants...that unfortunately seem to appeal to aspirational types that vote Tory and of a certain age....

I would imagine cruise ships are far more carbon efficient than planes.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Is his answer to Trump's 'Basket of deplorables' to amass an army of 'Gypsies, tramps and thieves'?
    Is Sanders Strong Enough?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Gabs3 said:

tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

I would imagine cruise ships are far more carbon efficient than planes.

Incorrectly, in all likelihood.
    https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006/dec/20/cruises.green
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    kinabalu said:

nunu2 said:
    Bernie is coming. Change is coming.
    Thats what they said about Corbyn...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I’m not sure about that - I did that crossing in the autumn and one factoid I picked up was that the ship uses more electricity than the entire population of Southampton. Generated by burning diesel and gas.
    That doesn't seem credible, given that southampton has a population of a quarter of a million people. The average UK electricity consumption is 550W/person (thanks wikipedia), so these things would be using 120MW of electricity. A cursory google search suggests it's a tenth of that, or less.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

First like France.

I've backed the away team for every match this weekend.
    So when I get shouted at for swearing between 3pm and 5pm tomorrow I can blame you?
    You can blame that on Eddie picking Daly at fullback despite Daly at full back being the most busted of busted flushes.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited February 2020
    Enjoyed a cruise up and down The Adriatic in 2018, huge respect for the entertainments on board, made the sun deck a haven of peace and quiet, and a good place for an evening's reading. Was happy to explore quite a few destinations on foot.

The cooler weather on a 2019 voyage in The Baltic was more taxing, had to wear warmer pullovers and woolly hats. Downside was being herded to and from destinations in St Petersburg, offset by visits to naval museums elsewhere.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

My guess - based on limited anecdotal evidence - is that a majority of Uk cruise passengers are Tories but a majority of US are Democrats. Go figure.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

You're just a nasty snivelling little troll aren't you?
    He missed out Daily Mail readers...
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

My wife and I have never danced on a cruise ship, gone to the shows, used the casinos or sat at a formal diner

We chose cruises that sail to places of interest and enjoy being at sea, the lectures, and visiting places that other transport would find difficult

To us cruising is a sea bound exploration and not like anything you may imagine. Indeed we converse with our fellow international passengers on many subjects but rarely politics

We have always subscribed to 'travel broadens the mind'.

Maybe you should try it Tyson, you may learn something
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I was hoping Big_G was going coming back with that kind of argument...but cruise ships are shocking...they dump sewage, waste, petrol emissions...they are disgusting things that destroy the oceans and environment...and destroy cities like Venice. They are man made abominations.....

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:
    A balanced selection of opinions there.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

A study posted on a Chinese website is not "China admits".
    What? It is one of THE propaganda outlets for the Beijing regime

"The Global Times (simplified Chinese: 环球时报; traditional Chinese: 環球時報; pinyin: Huánqiú Shíbào) is a daily tabloid newspaper under the auspices of the Chinese Communist Party's People's Daily newspaper, commenting on international issues from a nationalistic perspective."
    It's not endorsing the study, it's just saying it exists. China is a dictatorship but it's not North Korea, the regime needs a certain amount of normal reporting to happen for the country to function.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

That doesn't seem credible, given that southampton has a population of a quarter of a million people. The average UK electricity consumption is 550W/person (thanks wikipedia), so these things would be using 120MW of electricity. A cursory google search suggests it's a tenth of that, or less.
    I believe the figure for the QM2 is 118 million W
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

While I do like ships, coastline, ports and other countries, cruises are a bit like golf clubs. Potentially enjoyable but spoiled by their inhabitants. My opinion is mostly based on being in port when a cruise ship is in.

I imagine some small ship cruises with a specialist interest might be reasonably pleasant, and I did rather enjoy a Nile cruise 30 years ago.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

My wife and I have never danced on a cruise ship, gone to the shows, used the casinos or sat at a formal diner

We chose cruises that sail to places of interest and enjoy being at sea, the lectures, and visiting places that other transport would find difficult

To us cruising is a sea bound exploration and not like anything you may imagine. Indeed we converse with our fellow international passengers on many subjects but rarely politics

If you haven't already, try Viking.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Ah, I see the confusion. I thought you were talking about electrical power.
  • Options
    Looks like NV will help Trump to another four years then.

This is Corbyn redux.

Jeez.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

I'm being polemical with the Tory/ Daily Mail stuff...that's not what bothers me about cruise ships.They are just terrible for the environment.

My best friend returned yesterday full of beans from a 5 star trip to Vietnam- 5 star hotels, long haul trips/ shop flights/ tailored tours/ spectacular meals- I had to sit and listen to something that I found quite sickening....if I spoke my views he wouldn't be my friend anymore..that's compromise...

On here I can be honest...I'm not losing friends....and the environment matters to me a lot more than Brexit or any other political issue...
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

A study posted on a Chinese website is not "China admits".
    What? It is one of THE propaganda outlets for the Beijing regime

"The Global Times (simplified Chinese: 环球时报; traditional Chinese: 環球時報; pinyin: Huánqiú Shíbào) is a daily tabloid newspaper under the auspices of the Chinese Communist Party's People's Daily newspaper, commenting on international issues from a nationalistic perspective."
    It's not endorsing the study, it's just saying it exists. China is a dictatorship but it's not North Korea, the regime needs a certain amount of normal reporting to happen for the country to function.
    The trick is trying to read through what you see as “normal reporting”. Which is by no means “normal”.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Going on that would literally be the worst experience in the world.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

More like half ?

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/752-cruise-ship-engine-propulsion-fuel
    Usually, ships are powered by four or five generator sets (medium-speed, 500 revolutions per minute), fueled by diesel and creating 8-10 megawatts energy each..
  • Options
    tyson said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I was hoping Big_G was going coming back with that kind of argument...but cruise ships are shocking...they dump sewage, waste, petrol emissions...they are disgusting things that destroy the oceans and environment...and destroy cities like Venice. They are man made abominations.....

Actually, and on the other hand, the environmental aspects of the QM2 in terms of waste, water etc. are actually quite impressive. It desalinates water as it goes along, the water from baths and sinks is re-used washing decks etc., the human and food waste is all treated and eliminated on board, and they reckon the water they put back into the sea is cleaner than that they take out.

You are right about the impact on the most popular destination cities; cruise ships are a pain in places like Venice, dumping huge numbers of people who wander around in large groups and bring relatively little economic benefit, and I don’t blame cities like Venice for wanting to clamp down on them and/or introduce some kind of tax to get some benefit.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

If you haven't already, try Viking.
    Thanks but no more cruises for us. We have been to so many places we have decided to hang up our passes and enjoy staycations, other than visiting our son and daughter in law inVancouver
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

I'm being polemical with the Tory/ Daily Mail stuff...that's not what bothers me about cruise ships.They are just terrible for the environment.

My best friend returned yesterday full of beans from a 5 star trip to Vietnam- 5 star hotels, long haul trips/ shop flights/ tailored tours/ spectacular meals- I had to sit and listen to something that I found quite sickening....if I spoke my views he wouldn't be my friend anymore..that's compromise...

On here I can be honest...I'm not losing friends....and the environment matters to me a lot more than Brexit or any other political issue...
    Tourism doesn't destroy the environment, quite the opposite by exploring the world and broadening our minds it encourages us to look after the environment.
  • Options

twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1231330063502712832

Its like Corbynism wasn't radical enough....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I am not an engineer but I believe the way it works is that the diesel and gas is burned to generate electricity and the electricity is used to power the ship.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

nunu2 said:
    Bernie is coming. Change is coming.
    I doubt he will even carry his own state once Trump has finished. Still at least Dem primary voters can feel the warm glow of purity washing over them as they make sure that there is a real choice etc etc.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Perhaps you should consider being less dishonest so that your “friends” can know the real you.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chillax dude.

You are, sincerely, a very lucky man to have travelled to every place you want to visit.

I've been to a lot of countries but still have quite a few to go. I make my first visit to central America next month. Should be fascinating.

We are very fortunate and of course it was assisted by our eldest moving to New Zealand 15 years ago and now living in Vancouver

We did say some years ago we would travel the world while we could and we did

No regrets and so many memories and 40,000 plus photos and videos
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

Tourism doesn't destroy the environment, quite the opposite by exploring the world and broadening our minds it encourages us to look after the environment.
    By filling it with hotels and airports, and burning fossil fuels to get to them? Don't be silly.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    "It’s hard to imagine that this excited little girl presenting a bouquet to ­Princess Diana might one day lead the Labour Party."

Certainly hard to imagine! But maybe Lab are still in don't want to win mode.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Sounds like you are an expert on - ahem - current affairs :wink:
  • Options

That Jeremy Corbyn failed to win an election here does not predestine the defeat of every radical left politician throughout the western world for the foreseeable future. He is just not that totemic.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

By filling it with hotels and airports, and burning fossil fuels to get to them? Don't be silly.
    Yes. Fossil fuels are burnt either way.

If we put our heads in the sand and pretend like its not a real issue so long as we don't leave our tiny island the environment won't go away. Its a pathetic suggestion. The contribution to the climate of us travelling is absolutely meaningless on the grand scheme of things, but the contribution to our understanding of the world is much, much greater.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

@Big_G_NorthWales

While I do like ships, coastline, ports and other countries, cruises are a bit like golf clubs. Potentially enjoyable but spoiled by their inhabitants. My opinion is mostly based on being in port when a cruise ship is in.

I imagine some small ship cruises with a specialist interest might be reasonably pleasant, and I did rather enjoy a Nile cruise 30 years ago.

@foxinsoxuk

Now- I think sustainability and environmental impact have to be central to all our decisions and consumeristic choices......and then one can easily justify a cruise, eating meat, playing golf etc....provided it's sustainable....and there is no reason to think that consumerism and sustainability are incompatible...and we can restore habitats as much as we destroy them...
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chilla

You are, sincerely, a very lucky man to have travelled to every place you want to visit.

I've been to a lot of countries but still have quite a few to go. I make my first visit to central America next month. Should be fascinating.

We are very fortunate and of course it was assisted by our eldest moving to New Zealand 15 years ago and now living in Vancouver

Indeed. I've always lived by the motto: never turn down an opportunity for travel or sex. And it has served me well.

Travel has given me many of my richest experiences. The stuff I will smile about in my dotage. Not stuff I owned. No one dies regretting they didn't buy a bigger plasma screen TV, they die regretting friends they should have seen and places they should have been.

The problem is, can this continue? We've been through a golden age of mass travel. It may be unsustainable, and it may be ending.

It may well be curtailed and we know we are blessed to have travelled in the golden age of travel
  • Options
    NPR:

Entrance Polls Point To A Big Day For Sanders
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I am not an engineer but I believe the way it works is that the diesel and gas is burned to generate electricity and the electricity is used to power the ship.
    Modern cruise ships (usually) use IEP - integrated electric power where 3 phase electricity is generated by diesel generators and/or gas turbine to provide energy for propulsion and the ship's 'hotel' load (ie powering lights, HVAC, etc.).

HMS QE and the T45s also use IEP but the RN is fucked off with the system and has regressed to CODLOG for T26 the even simpler CODAD pure diesel for T31 (if it ever gets built).
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

NPR:

Early results (first 2% precincts) show him winning by miles, maybe 20% ahead of 2nd. Biden looking close with Mayor Pete for 2nd.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    edited February 2020
    These people hated New Labour because it tried discipline over message.

Yet iirc not a single MP was suspended, even Corbyn, who may as well have been working for the Tories.

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1231249349969137664

• Options
    Quincel said:

NPR:

Early results (first 2% precincts) show him winning by miles, maybe 20% ahead of 2nd. Biden looking close with Mayor Pete for 2nd.
    Go Pete.

• Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Now that is justspective or lose creditabilty
    Chilla
    Thank you but we havwe want to visit to be fair

Indeed. I've alwaysble, and it may be ending.

It may well be curtailed and we know we are blessed to have travelled in the golden age of travel
    Yep.

I've been to Venice half a dozen times. I've been lucky to see it virtually empty (admittedly in winter)

It is now almost unbearable, all year round. There's just TOO MANY PEOPLE who can afford to go there and are desperate to go there. And they will go there unless Venice itself is rationed, and only a few get the chance.

This will happen, and it will be done by price. You will have to pay a load of money JUST to get into Venice. Travel will become the preserve of the very rich, as it was in the 19th century.

Cruise ships should be banned from Venice. There are other ports they could use
  • Options
    Dems.

It's like watching your cousins organise their own spectacular car crash despite your own massive car crash back in early December.
  • Options
    Speaking of travel, my UK passport needs renewal. When do the blue ones start being issued?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Speaking of travel, my UK passport needs renewal. When do the blue ones start being issued?

When the supply of the old one is used up.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I believe it is May
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Approximately: Mix of blue and burgundy from next month, should be fully blue by the summer.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    edited February 2020

When we did our Adriatic cruise last autumn we deliberately chose one which avoided Venice. Korcula was out favourite stop followed by Kotor and Split. Dubrovnik is a waste of time - far too busy and trading on "Game of Thrones".

I enjoy "sea" days - when we did our caribbean no-fly I loved the days crossing the Atlantic at 20mph day and night.

Masterly inactivity - that's the aspect of cruising I love.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

That Jeremy Corbyn failed to win an election here does not predestine the defeat of every radical left politician throughout the western world for the foreseeable future. He is just not that totemic.
    It does in the USA I am afraid.
  • Options

Dems.

It's like watching your cousins organise their own spectacular car crash despite your own massive car crash back in early December.

Almost reminiscent of Kissinger's (?) comment about Yasser Arafat - he never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited February 2020
    stodge said:

When we did our Adriatic cruise last autumn we deliberately chose one which avoided Venice. Korcula was out favourite stop followed by Kotor and Split. Dubrovnik is a waste of time - far too busy and trading on "Game of Thrones".

I enjoy "sea" days - when we did our caribbean no-fly I loved the days crossing the Atlantic at 20mph day and night.

Masterly inactivity - that's the aspect of cruising I love.
    Being at sea is our joy but then we both have the sea in our blood

And I would not go on a cruise ship to or from Venice
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chilla

Indeed. I've always lived by the motto: never turn down an opportunity for travel or sex. And it has served me well.

Travel has given me many of my richest experiences. The stuff I will smile about in my dotage. Not stuff I owned. No one dies regretting they didn't buy a bigger plasma screen TV, they die regretting friends they should have seen and places they should have been.

The problem is, can this continue? We've been through a golden age of mass travel. It may be unsustainable, and it may be ending.

If you are over 60 with an occupational pension you are like me the lucky ones financially and in many other respects. I’m afraid we are cosseted from the realities of life for many people and see it through rose tinted spectacles we might think we know the world but I seriously doubt it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Yet iirc not a single MP was suspended, even Corbyn, who may as well have been working for the Tories.

I don't actually recall Corbyn ever making a personal criticism of Blair or Brown (or anyone else much, he doesn't do personality stuff), let alone working to undermine them. He obviously disagreed with them lots about issues (almost without exception without risk to the Government, as he wasn't rebelling on issues that the Tories opposed). To be fair to Butler (who I'm not putting high on my own paper) I don't think she'd expel someone for disagreeing with policies.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chilla

Yep.

I've been to Venice half a dozen times. I've been lucky to see it virtually empty (admittedly in winter)

It is now almost unbearable, all year round. There's just TOO MANY PEOPLE who can afford to go there and are desperate to go there. And they will go there unless Venice itself is rationed, and only a few get the chance.

This will happen, and it will be done by price. You will have to pay a load of money JUST to get into Venice. Travel will become the preserve of the very rich, as it was in the 19th century.

It’s a nice place to be out and about up to about 9.30 am
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chilla

Yep.

Indeed.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sanders is not nearly as left economically and he has consistently opposed autocratic regimes on right and left for 30 years.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If you think a bellowing, ranty, red faced N Eastern socialist can win against Trump then I have a dozen bridges to sell you :-)
  • Options

I don't actually recall Corbyn ever making a personal criticism of Blair or Brown (or anyone else much, he doesn't do personality stuff), let alone working to undermine them. He obviously disagreed with them lots about issues (almost without exception without risk to the Government, as he wasn't rebelling on issues that the Tories opposed). To be fair to Butler (who I'm not putting high on my own paper) I don't think she'd expel someone for disagreeing with policies.
    Well, I suppose it depends what is meant by 'undermines', so fair point.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Enjoyed a cruise up and down The Adriatic in 2018, huge respect for the entertainments on board, made the sun deck a haven of peace and quiet, and a good place for an evening's reading. Was happy to explore quite a few destinations on foot.

The cooler weather on a 2019 voyage in The Baltic was more taxing, had to wear warmer pullovers and woolly hats. Downside was being herded to and from destinations in St Petersburg, offset by visits to naval museums elsewhere.

Did you stop in Gothenburg?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Can you get minus points?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Chilla
    Thank you but we have sailed our last cruise

If you are over 60 with an occupational pension you are like me the lucky ones financially and in many other respects. I’m afraid we are cosseted from the realities of life for many people and see it through rose tinted spectacles we might think we know the world but I seriously doubt it.
    At 76 and 80 we are grateful for all our blessings and believe you me, we have experienced some of the most depressing aspects of life and abject povety in our travels.

To suggest we look at things through rose tinted spectacles is just wrong
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Going on that would literally be the worst experience in the world.
    I wonder if it'll smell of excrement like his effing trains.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

kinabalu said:

If you think a bellowing, ranty, red faced N Eastern socialist can win against Trump then I have a dozen bridges to sell you :-)
    Mr Kinbalu was saying just because Corbyn lost, other leftists wouldn't necessarily lose in the Western World. I believe I said they could not win in the US. So either I did not make myself clear or you have misunderstood what I was saying.

You even got a 'like' for your misunderstanding. Just to reiterate, Sanders CANNOT beat Trump. Clear?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    A second in NV for Biden would be big, would put SC in the bag.
  • Options
    In NV, if there's a tie it is cards.

Tie In Nevada? Pick A Card, Any Card

https://apps.npr.org/liveblogs/20200222-nevada/?utm_campaign=politics&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com

Not sure I believe this one.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Quincel said:

If only he could 'Turn back time' to when he was still a young buck in his early 80s.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

And yet so many would, have and did say disagreeing with policies is undermining the leader, so why wouldn't she do that?
This discussion has been closed.