Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amy Klobuchar edging up in New Hampshire ahead of tomorrow’s p

1235»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    Dadge said:

As far as ensuring the integrity of the data communication is concerned, you have two (or more) different systems running concurrently.

Validation does not ensure data integrity: it tells you when you've lost data integrity. There's a difference. You then have to work out what to do when they disagree.

• Options
    :D:D:D What idiot came up with that route? You will never get Bangor and Groomsport to agree to being a lorry terminus or to have them thundering down the road past Crawfordsburn and Helen's Bay.

The existing road infrastructure for lorries and cars is in Larne on the OTHER side of Belfast Lough.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

I really like grands projet like this, and there are precedents. If you're going to have a PM that thinks big, this is the kind of thing he should be doing. Build it and we'll worry about the cost later. Yes they cost, but my goodness they last.

PS Severn barrage.

But this would be very near the bottom of any list of very large projects, if the most sensible were to be placed at the top.

And it's not as though we aren't contemplating several others (and seriously neglecting a number of smaller ones which are far better justified).
    A motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh would be far better use of cash.
    The newly completed M8 says "Hello, Malc".
    It is 2 lanes almost all the way and jammed morning and night, giving it an M does not make it a motorway, it is merely a dual carriageway.
    Must surely be the only country in the developed world that does not have a proper road linking its two main cities and them not much more than 30 miles apart.
    The A628 Woodhead Pass says hello, as a road linking equally sizable and proximate cities with, effectively, a high grade farm track.
    Worse than the A57 Snake Pass?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

"Under proportional representation, the party with the most votes won't get the most seats"

STV: Nonsense on stilts.

I'd love to learn about your alternative system that gives parties more seats than they stood for.

If you only stand for a quarter of the seats, the most you can win is [checks notes] a quarter of the seats...

d'Hondt with party primaries to determine the candidate order on the list.

Constituencies of around 10 seats to give proportional results.
    That doesn't overcome the problem. If you don't get enough candidates, you won't win the seats you'd otherwise have won.

In addition, it's eminently possible that the distribution of votes could end up with the party with most votes not getting the most seats when taken over the entire country, especially with multiple parties close to each other in vote share in the low twenties.

And I say that as someone who's preferred voting system would be D'Hondt open lists based on counties. (So there's a known geographical 'constituency' involved and some local representation guaranteed)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    viewcode said:

Dadge said:

As far as ensuring the integrity of the data communication is concerned, you have two (or more) different systems running concurrently.

Validation does not ensure data integrity: it tells you when you've lost data integrity. There's a difference. You then have to work out what to do when they disagree.

For those that don't work in IT, computers solve all problems.

For those that work in IT, computers just create bigger and harder to identify, let alone fix problems...
  • Options

twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/1226856983162126337

Just one more heave comrades....
  • Options
    For once I agree with Burgon. I too like him hopes he gets the same success as Sinn Fein got. I'd be delighted to see Labour on 24%.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    edited February 2020
    speedy2 said:

I know that I'm going to be accused of anti-Buttigieg behaviour, but there is no way that Buttigieg can survive close inspection as we saw on the Debate:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1226193905546416128

An intention for a proposal for a pathway towards expectations, is a hell of a vision right?

Depends whether that's front and centre in his campaign (in which case I agree) or buried deep down and written in two minutes by a minor team-member (in which case, who cares?).

I'm guessing the latter, because the tweet would highlight it if it were the former.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    edited February 2020
    According to BF, Sanders has more chance of winning New Hampshire than Buttigieg has of winning Iowa. There`s some value here somewhere - any ideas?
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited February 2020
    Sinn Fein and the SNP are Nationalist Left.

Can Labour become a Nationalist Left party in Britain ?

Aka, defending the nation from "nasty foreigners" while throwing money to the people ?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

I really like grands projet like this, and there are precedents. If you're going to have a PM that thinks big, this is the kind of thing he should be doing. Build it and we'll worry about the cost later. Yes they cost, but my goodness they last.

PS Severn barrage.

But this would be very near the bottom of any list of very large projects, if the most sensible were to be placed at the top.

And it's not as though we aren't contemplating several others (and seriously neglecting a number of smaller ones which are far better justified).
    It is 2 lanes almost all the way and jammed morning and night, giving it an M does not make it a motorway, it is merely a dual carriageway.
    Must surely be the only country in the developed world that does not have a proper road linking its two main cities and them not much more than 30 miles apart.
    The A628 Woodhead Pass says hello, as a road linking equally sizable and proximate cities with, effectively, a high grade farm track.
    Have you ever tried driving over either? My last journey via the Woodshead Pass took 4 hours. First gear and handbrake most of the way and caused by the traffic lights at the junction in Glossop.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

They're both choked at Mottram.
  • Options

... but that doesn't obviate the need for the M62.

True enough. Mancunians need somewhere to park their cars...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

No, but then again Snake is not designated as the Primary route.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    IshmaelZ said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Like Fatehpur Sikri.
    Goodness, that's beautiful. Thank you.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    speedy2 said:

Aka, defending the nation from "nasty foreigners" while throwing money to the people ?
    The guy is a plonker.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Stocky said:

According to BF, Sanders has more chance of winning New Hampshire than Buttigieg has of winning Iowa. There`s some value here somewhere - any ideas?

The Iowa winner will never be declared, so there is no value in Iowa.

As for N.Hampshire the tradeoff is Buttigieg for Klobuchar, can they switch poll positions fast enough for Klobuchar to come in second instead of Buttigieg ?

There is also the minor chance that Buttigieg collapses so much that Klobuchar might win, but it's minor at the moment.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Have you ever tried driving over either? My last journey via the Woodshead Pass took 4 hours. First gear and handbrake most of the way and caused by the traffic lights at the junction in Glossop.
    Never done the Woodhead Pass, and haven't driven Snake Pass for a long time. My Dad was born in Glossop and his Mum always lived there, but she died a few years ago and I've had no reason to go there since the funeral. Snake Pass is beautiful, but the traffic can be terrible. I'm sure I hear it mentioned about half the times I hear R5 traffic reports!
  • Options
    kicorse said:

speedy2 said:

I know that I'm going to be accused of anti-Buttigieg behaviour, but there is no way that Buttigieg can survive close inspection as we saw on the Debate:

An intention for a proposal for a pathway towards expectations, is a hell of a vision right?

Depends whether that's front and centre in his campaign (in which case I agree) or buried deep down and written in two minutes by a minor team-member (in which case, who cares?).

I'm guessing the latter, because the tweet would highlight it if it were the former.
    All that matters is beating Trump. This GE is a referendum on Trump. The way to beat him to hammer him every day on healthcare, medicare etc etc.

Any other minor policy crap can be dropped once there is a nominee.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Stocky said:

As for N.Hampshire the tradeoff is Buttigieg for Klobuchar, can they switch poll positions fast enough for Klobuchar to come in second instead of Buttigieg ?

There is also the minor chance that Buttigieg collapses so much that Klobuchar might win, but it's minor at the moment.
    Buttigieg has more delegates (just) and so do you you think BF will pay out on this (as this is their rule for this market) even if Iowa does not formally declare a winner, as you say?

Otherwise, how are they going to deal with o/s bets? What about those that have already "cashed out"?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Which means Sheffield to Manchester is the same as the Edinburgh to Newcastle. There are multiple routes (all stupid in different ways) which means there is no justification to update them.

Heck the A66 is only being dualed because needs absolutely most otherwise it's add another lane to the M62.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 2020
    Stocky said:

speedy2 said:

Stocky said:

Buttigieg has more delegates (just) and so do you you think BF will pay out on this (as this is their rule for this market) even if Iowa does not formally declare a winner, as you say?

Otherwise, how are they going to deal with o/s bets? What about those that have already "cashed out"?
    There's no such thing as "cashing out" on the exchange, it's a fiction. If the market is voided say then all lays and backs are cancelled to zero. You can't spend the profit in a market even if you're all green till it is settled.
  • Options
    Well HMRC have completed screwed up the freelance skill sector with the forthcoming IR35 changes...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited February 2020
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Snake Pass is great at 8am on Sundays, but there really needs to be a proper road between Manchester and Sheffield for those that need to make the journey - as opposed to those who want to ‘go for a drive’.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    speedy2 said:

It might read fine, it depends on the context and the context has been deliberately left out so we don't know what "this proposal" is.

You keep saying "this guy rapes goats" and backing up the claim by posting links showing him driving at 31 in a 30 speed limit.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

kicorse said:

speedy2 said:

All that matters is beating Trump. This GE is a referendum on Trump. The way to beat him to hammer him every day on healthcare, medicare etc etc.

Any other minor policy crap can be dropped once there is a nominee.
    If Trump was a Politican, that would probably work.

As he isn't a politican there is a risk (medium to high) that it will not work.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

speedy2 said:

Stocky said:

There's no such thing as "cashing out" on the exchange, it's a fiction. If the market is voided say then all lays and backs are cancelled to zero. You can't spend the profit in a market even if you're all green till it is settled.
    Thanks for this - I`m often scratching my head over this subject. If what you say is correct, how come when I "cash out" my BF cash balance goes up and the increase can be used to bet on other things (or, presumably, withdraw)?

This happened yesterday - when i placed £20 on RLB my BF cash balance went up not down. (I have lots of conflicting bets on this market.)
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    speedy2 said:

Sinn Fein are strongly pro-migrant rights, much as most left/liberal parties are, and they achieved their advances on a typical left/liberal platform.

Their qualitatively different type of nationalism was not the reason they gained votes. In any case, it would be impossible to emulate it in the UK, because the UK doesn't have the same history. Closest thing I can think of is to talk about some superpower, run by a megalomaniac, that wants to destroy the NHS....

It's also worth noting that Sinn Fein got a much smaller share of the vote than Labour did in the UK, although the left-wing vote as a whole in both countries was very similar.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    edited February 2020
    eek said:

Well HMRC have completed screwed up the freelance skill sector with the forthcoming IR35 changes...
    Just get used to paying your taxes like everyone else and stop bleating!

(Ffs, you're still getting a let-off with reduced NI.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    New thread
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

The M8 is about as pleasant to drive along as the A19 between Boro and Sunderland where single track lanes join perpendicular to people driving at 80mph....
    Those exits have all been closed now. Did 120mph+ along that stretch in the early hours of Saturday morning.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2020
    119/160 seats allocated in Ireland

SF 37
    FF 25
    FG 23
    Ind 12
    Greens 10
    Social Democrats 4
    Lab 3
    People Before Profit 3
    Aontu 1
    Independent4Change 1

I think there are no more Sinn Fein candidates left in the ongoing races. (37 elected, 5 defeated)
  • Options

eek said:

It doesn't impact me (I'm not a contractor anymore).

It does impact a project my company was wanted to be on, end client won't accept PSC contractors, I don't have enough interest to fully staff the project with permanent staff.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    eek said:

eek said:

It doesn't impact me (I'm not a contractor anymore).

It does impact a project my company was wanted to be on, end client won't accept PSC contractors, I don't have enough interest to fully staff the project with permanent staff.
    Ok, apols for my intemperate response.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    eek said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Which means Sheffield to Manchester is the same as the Edinburgh to Newcastle. There are multiple routes (all stupid in different ways) which means there is no justification to update them.

Heck the A66 is only being dualed because needs absolutely most otherwise it's add another lane to the M62.
    Edinburgh is near the distance limit of daily Newcastle commuting. Sheffield-Manchester is 30 miles.

Edinburgh-Newcastle is getting piecemeal but steady dualling, reducing the distance you are behind any one lorry. It will get there, just as connecting Newcastle to the motorway network eventually got there in 4 mile chunks.

Manchester-Sheffield is not getting dualled anytime soon, nor rail improved. Sheffield ought really to be the 4th arm of the travel to work zone of the Northern Powerhouse. Currently, it is not.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Just when you thought people were about to stop linking Labour with the IRA...
  • Options

119/160 seats allocated in Ireland

SF 37
    FF 25
    FG 23
    Ind 12
    Greens 10
    Social Democrats 4
    Lab 3
    People Before Profit 3
    Aontu 1
    Independent4Change 1

I think there are no more Sinn Fein candidates left in the ongoing races. (37 elected, 5 defeated)

Doesn't that make it mathematically very unlikely that SF will top the poll in terms of seats? Can be laid at 28/1?
  • Options
    Nearly 100 people died from coronavirus yesterday on the deadliest day of the outbreak so far.

The death toll in mainland China rose by 97, taking the number of global fatalities to 910.

Another 3,062 cases were reported in China yesterday - an increase of 15 per cent compared to Saturday which put an end to a series of daily declines.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7986067/Japan-says-60-virus-cases-cruise-ship.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020
    The Staines mob seem to be having second thoughts over Boris...

We will, Guido fears, find out in the end that the trouble with zero interest rate “One Nation Toryism” is that eventually you run out of other people’s money…

https://order-order.com/2020/02/10/voted-socialism-lite/
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

Just when you thought people were about to stop linking Labour with the IRA...
    Just when you thought a Socialist Manifesto was unelectable. SF proves it's not.

Have a good mind to vote for RLB!!! ( not really)

Mind you does SKS really think the working class can be bored into voting for (London Metropolitan Elite yawnsville non Socialism) Socialism
This discussion has been closed.