Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amy Klobuchar edging up in New Hampshire ahead of tomorrow’s p

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Foxy said:

BBC News - Brighton GP practice closes due to coronavirus
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761

Bugger

Not going to be easy to contain...

Also, fecal transmission route:
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-02-latest-coronavirus-implicates-fecal-transmission.html
    ...Diarrhea may be a secondary path of transmission for the novel coronavirus, scientists said Friday following the publication of the latest study reporting patients with abdominal symptoms and loose stool.
    The primary path is believed to be virus-laden droplets from an infected person's cough, though researchers in early cases have said they focused heavily on patients with respiratory symptoms and may have overlooked those linked to the digestive tract.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    eek said:

Dadge said:

Endillion said:

Dadge said:

Dail election. Why don't they use computers to work out the results at the count? It's ridiculous to take two days to do a job that should take two hours.

Because... have you been following the Iowa Democratic caucus?
    Computers and democracy should not intersect.
    The Irish general election count is a completely different electoral animal from the Iowa caucuses. It should be a straightforward process to transfer the preferences from the ballot papers onto computer, and then the entire country's results would be worked out in a flash. Of course you'd have safeguards to ensure the data was entered correctly and calculated correctly, but it's not rocket science, and obviously much more accurate than counting by hand.
    I take it you don't work in IT....

It only looks easy to transfer preferences from paper to computer.

Plus it's a lot safer to have humans manually count with witnesses compared to computer code where you need 1 expert to write it and at least a second expert to read the code and ensure it hasn't got problems.

For some reason, the most vociferous opponents of using technology in elections are those who spend their days working with technology!

Most Americans are also astonished that the UK can have a general election pretty much done and dusted by 6am*, using pencils, paper and people counting votes, without weeks more news about counts and recounts.

*Yes, I know there's a couple of stubborn councils who insist on counting in the morning.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited February 2020
    eek said:

If what I just overhead from the (indiscreet) staffers in front of me in Portcullis House is true then Liz Truss is for the chop and Michael Gove is being put in charge of International Trade.

What is the problem that a bridge between Larne and Portpatrick is the solution to? Because it isn't "how to get from Belfast to Glasgow faster" and it isn't "how to get from Belfast to London faster".

It’s political. It physically unites the UK and makes the NI feel more connected to the rest of it rather than a world apart.
    Gove doesn't fly - so how does that work....
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-plane-cardiff-london-environment-secretary-climate-change-a9310031.html ??

"Former environment secretary Michael Gove criticised for using plane for 150-mile trip to Cardiff"

Think he's got over it
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

What is the problem that a bridge between Larne and Portpatrick is the solution to? Because it isn't "how to get from Belfast to Glasgow faster" and it isn't "how to get from Belfast to London faster".

Johnson seems to think it would reduce flights between NI and UK iirc.
    I can't see it making a major difference. It's an 8 hour drive from Portpatrick to Trafalgar Square. It's well over 2 hours from Portpatrick to Glasgow. Add an hour to each of those for the journey from Belfast to Larne and over the bridge.

If you're coming from/going to London from NI, a flight is only an hour - the longest part is getting to / from and hanging around the airport.
    Portpatrick does seem a long way from anywhere. OTOH there's always a ready queue to show demand for finishing off the M67 betwixt Sheffield and Manchester....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

BBC's Radio 4 News is getting very excited about the idea of a border poll in Northern Ireland as a result of the Sinn Fein success at the election.

Unlike a vote on Scottish independence, the government cannot arbitrarily refuse such a poll. The requirements for when a poll must be held are set out in legislation and if the government refused perversely, its decision would be judicially reviewable.

Those requirements do not yet, however, look to be met.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Bugger

Just one rogue traveller can infect Brighton it seems.
  • Options

If what I just overhead from the (indiscreet) staffers in front of me in Portcullis House is true then Liz Truss is for the chop and Michael Gove is being put in charge of International Trade.

It’s political. It physically unites the UK and makes the NI feel more connected to the rest of it rather than a world apart.
    It's a bloody expensive and extremely belated means of trying to do so.
    Chances are Ireland would be reunited before it was even halfway complete.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    viewcode said:

I really like grands projet like this, and there are precedents. If you're going to have a PM that thinks big, this is the kind of thing he should be doing. Build it and we'll worry about the cost later. Yes they cost, but my goodness they last.

PS Severn barrage.

A Severn Barrage is a hell of a bigger project than the tidal lagoon power stations at Swansea, Cardiff, Colwyn Bay, Morecombe Bay, etc etc.....
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Endillion said:

Dadge said:

Endillion said:

Dadge said:

Dail election. Why don't they use computers to work out the results at the count? It's ridiculous to take two days to do a job that should take two hours.

The Irish general election count is a completely different electoral animal from the Iowa caucuses. It should be a straightforward process to transfer the preferences from the ballot papers onto computer, and then the entire country's results would be worked out in a flash. Of course you'd have safeguards to ensure the data was entered correctly and calculated correctly, but it's not rocket science, and obviously much more accurate than counting by hand.
    Setting aside the question of what possible safeguards you could put in place to ensure the data is transmitted correctly, I'm curious as to how you think that process could possibly be done, validated and audited in much under two days anyway?
    I'm finding the prejudice and naivety on this issue quite disappointing. Computer-aided counting really is very straightforward. As far as ensuring the integrity of the data communication is concerned, you have two (or more) different systems running concurrently. You're right that after the provisional results have been announced there'll need to be an auditing process but at least the final tallies will be more accurate than all the paper shuffling that's going on today.
  • Options

eek said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-plane-cardiff-london-environment-secretary-climate-change-a9310031.html ??

"Former environment secretary Michael Gove criticised for using plane for 150-mile trip to Cardiff"

Think he's got over it
    He struggles with long haul flights.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited February 2020

Andy_JS said:

BBC's Radio 4 News is getting very excited about the idea of a border poll in Northern Ireland as a result of the Sinn Fein success at the election.

Unlike a vote on Scottish independence, the government cannot arbitrarily refuse such a poll. The requirements for when a poll must be held are set out in legislation and if the government refused perversely, its decision would be judicially reviewable.

It can as it is up to the UK Secretary of State to determine when a border poll looks needed on the basis of a shift of opinion towards Irish unity e.g. a Nationalist majority in the NI Assembly, considering the DUP and UUP won more votes than Sinn Fein and the SDLP at the last election and there is currently no Nationalist majority there is zero chance of that for the foreseeable future
  • Options

How can I drive the length and breadth of my country, the United Kingdom?
    You can't.

Next.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

It can as it is up to the UK Secretary of State to determine when a border poll looks needed on the basis of a shift of opinion towards Irish unity e.g. a Nationalist majority in the NI Assembly, considering the DUP and UUP have more MLAs than Sinn Fein and the SDLP at the moment there is zero chance of that for the foreseeable future
    Just suppose the Alliance supported a SF/SDLP motion for a poll; what do you think would happen then?
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    "Michael Gove has revealed that he went under hypnosis to cure his fear of flying. It’s long been known that the education secretary trembled at the prospect of air travel. He once described how even slight bumps reduced him to a “clammier, paler, quicker-pulsed basketcase”.
    But he was spotted by The Jewish Chronicle newspaper on a recent El Al flight to Tel Aviv, and admitted that he owed his more relaxed attitude to sessions with a hypnotist. This is good news for Mrs Gove, the journalist Sarah Vine, who once wrote that air travel would be easier if she could book Michael in with the bags."
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/atticus-gove-is-ready-for-take-off-as-he-beats-his-bete-noire-5xp0prqq9xs (29.12.13)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788

viewcode said:

I really like grands projet like this, and there are precedents. If you're going to have a PM that thinks big, this is the kind of thing he should be doing. Build it and we'll worry about the cost later. Yes they cost, but my goodness they last.

PS Severn barrage.

A Severn Barrage is a hell of a bigger project than the tidal lagoon power stations at Swansea, Cardiff, Colwyn Bay, Morecombe Bay, etc etc.....
    Well let's start there then. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

It can as it is up to the UK Secretary of State to determine when a border poll looks needed on the basis of a shift of opinion towards Irish unity e.g. a Nationalist majority in the NI Assembly, considering the DUP and UUP have more MLAs than Sinn Fein and the SDLP at the moment there is zero chance of that for the foreseeable future
    Just suppose the Alliance supported a SF/SDLP motion for a poll; what do you think would happen then?
    That would also not be grounds for supporting it unless the Alliance had won its seats on a manifesto commitment to a border poll, unlikely anyway as the Alliance is non sectarian
  • Options
    viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

But this would be very near the bottom of any list of very large projects, if the most sensible were to be placed at the top.

And it's not as though we aren't contemplating several others (and seriously neglecting a number of smaller ones which are far better justified).
  • Options

eek said:

Johnny foreigner can jolly well come here.
    After he has spent 14 er, make that 28 days in quarantine.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Like Fatehpur Sikri.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,649
    Electricity demand at the moment:

UK: 39.80 GW
    France: 63.95 GW

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
    https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/
  • Options
    viewcode said:

The project is a non-starter. I hope he's spending his own money on this infeasibility study. https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1226840310099185666
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    "Michael Gove has revealed that he went under hypnosis to cure his fear of flying. It’s long been known that the education secretary trembled at the prospect of air travel. He once described how even slight bumps reduced him to a “clammier, paler, quicker-pulsed basketcase”. ...
    How could anyone tell ?
  • Options
    What problem is the "Boris bridge" meant to solve ?
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    "Michael Gove has revealed that he went under hypnosis to cure his fear of flying. It’s long been known that the education secretary trembled at the prospect of air travel. He once described how even slight bumps reduced him to a “clammier, paler, quicker-pulsed basketcase”.
    But he was spotted by The Jewish Chronicle newspaper on a recent El Al flight to Tel Aviv, and admitted that he owed his more relaxed attitude to sessions with a hypnotist. This is good news for Mrs Gove, the journalist Sarah Vine, who once wrote that air travel would be easier if she could book Michael in with the bags."
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/atticus-gove-is-ready-for-take-off-as-he-beats-his-bete-noire-5xp0prqq9xs (29.12.13)
    Well he was offered the job of Brexit Secretary in November 2018 and in part he turned it down because of his issues with travel.

I think he can do the odd holiday here and there, but the constant long haul flights associated with International Trade Secretary might be an issue.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    Pulpstar said:

What problem is the "Boris bridge" meant to solve ?

To stop us using the other B word?
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    Michael Gove is a public figure. Has he been papped in any far-off land in the six years since his cure?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

It can as it is up to the UK Secretary of State to determine when a border poll looks needed on the basis of a shift of opinion towards Irish unity e.g. a Nationalist majority in the NI Assembly, considering the DUP and UUP won more votes than Sinn Fein and the SDLP at the last election and there is currently no Nationalist majority there is zero chance of that for the foreseeable future
    "1 The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.

2 Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

3 The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1 earlier than seven years after the holding of a previous poll under this Schedule."

The Secretary of State has to form his or her conclusion rationally, so could not disregard evidence just because he or she didn't like it.

The seven year rule in paragraph 3 might be mentioned in relation to Scotland if the SNP were to win a majority in 2021.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    "Michael Gove has revealed that he went under hypnosis to cure his fear of flying. It’s long been known that the education secretary trembled at the prospect of air travel. He once described how even slight bumps reduced him to a “clammier, paler, quicker-pulsed basketcase”. ...
    How could anyone tell ?
    I got like that at one time, went to a hypnotist and sorted it.
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    Michael Gove is a public figure. Has he been papped in any far-off land in the six years since his cure?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/13/teacher-four-letter-tirade-michael-gove-new-yorks-central-park/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    Well he was offered the job of Brexit Secretary in November 2018 and in part he turned it down because of his issues with travel.

I think he can do the odd holiday here and there, but the constant long haul flights associated with International Trade Secretary might be an issue.
    Or it might desensitized him.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

viewcode said:

The project is a non-starter. I hope he's spending his own money on this infeasibility study. https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1226840310099185666

I wouldn't like to have driven over it yesterday!
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    Andy_JS said:

Well that's a stretch. If you squint really hard, with the eye of the believer, you can see how this result could increase the probability of such a poll by a minuscule margin, but the UK/EU deal done this year is going to be more significant.

But hey, never mind that Northern Ireland did not participate in this election. Never mind that Sinn Fein campaigned on economic issues. We English all know that there's only one thing that the Irish care about....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Pulpstar said:

I can't see it making a major difference. It's an 8 hour drive from Portpatrick to Trafalgar Square. It's well over 2 hours from Portpatrick to Glasgow. Add an hour to each of those for the journey from Belfast to Larne and over the bridge.

If you're coming from/going to London from NI, a flight is only an hour - the longest part is getting to / from and hanging around the airport.
    Portpatrick does seem a long way from anywhere. OTOH there's always a ready queue to show demand for finishing off the M67 betwixt Sheffield and Manchester....
    There's definitely a need for a 'tactical' roadbuilding project fund, for upgrades and junctions with bottlenecks that need fixing. They probably represent the biggest value add of any infrastructure projects in terms of productivity.

I see they finally opened the Mere bypass, south of Manchester, a couple of years ago. That was a nightmare for decades.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

Andy_JS said:

Well that's a stretch. If you squint really hard, with the eye of the believer, you can see how this result could increase the probability of such a poll by a minuscule margin, but the UK/EU deal done this year is going to be more significant.

But hey, never mind that Northern Ireland did not participate in this election. Never mind that Sinn Fein campaigned on economic issues. We English all know that there's only one thing that the Irish care about....
    Plus the Republic left the UK a century ago so even if SF won 100% there it should not affect NI
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dadge said:

Endillion said:

Dadge said:

Plus it's a lot safer to have humans manually count with witnesses compared to computer code where you need 1 expert to write it and at least a second expert to read the code and ensure it hasn't got problems.

For some reason, the most vociferous opponents of using technology in elections are those who spend their days working with technology!

Most Americans are also astonished that the UK can have a general election pretty much done and dusted by 6am*, using pencils, paper and people counting votes, without weeks more news about counts and recounts.
    FPTP elections are much easier to count than PR elections.

The computer code for calculating PR results has been available for decades - the Electoral Reform Society and other agencies regularly calculate results by computer.

The only hard part is avoiding RSI among the typists who have the job of transferring the numbers from the ballot papers onto computer.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Dadge said:

Endillion said:

Dadge said:

Endillion said:

Dadge said:

Setting aside the question of what possible safeguards you could put in place to ensure the data is transmitted correctly, I'm curious as to how you think that process could possibly be done, validated and audited in much under two days anyway?
    I'm finding the prejudice and naivety on this issue quite disappointing. Computer-aided counting really is very straightforward. As far as ensuring the integrity of the data communication is concerned, you have two (or more) different systems running concurrently. You're right that after the provisional results have been announced there'll need to be an auditing process but at least the final tallies will be more accurate than all the paper shuffling that's going on today.
    So you started out by pushing this as a speed play. Now it's about accuracy (as well or instead of?) What evidence do you have that the manual count system isn't accurate? Because my experience is that it'll be much better than the average computer-based system that hasn't been properly trained for regional differences in the way people write "4". Or differentiate between a "1" and a "7".

The cool thing about humans is that they're inept, but (usually) unbiased, so errors should ultimately balance out. With computers, you have to factor in the prospect of systemic errors in the code.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"1 The Secretary of State may by order direct the holding of a poll for the purposes of section 1 on a date specified in the order.

2 Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.

3 The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1 earlier than seven years after the holding of a previous poll under this Schedule."

The Secretary of State has to form his or her conclusion rationally, so could not disregard evidence just because he or she didn't like it.

The seven year rule in paragraph 3 might be mentioned in relation to Scotland if the SNP were to win a majority in 2021.
    Thankyou for confirming I was absolutely correct.

As section 2 points out absent a Nationalist majority in the Northern Ireland Assembly the Secretary of State can form a ground there is no need for a border poll.

Plus of course Westminster is sovereign and has a Tory majority and could repeal or amend the NI Act 1998 if needed to protect the Union and judges would have to obey.

Scotland has no GFA protections
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it

He can delegate to his ministers.
  • Options
    The incubation period of a new strain of coronavirus currently ravaging China can be as long as 24 days, a new study has revealed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7986663/Incubation-period-new-coronavirus-long-24-DAYS-expert-claims.html
  • Options
    There's going to be an army of jaw-dropped Boris belittlers.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

Boris Bridge, not Boris Island.

In a stroke of distractive genius it's going to be a Boris Bridge, Island and Tunnel.

https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1226524383226843136?s=20
    What a moron, what boost will that give us , thousands of Irish lorries polluting our roads.
    You're so right. Scottish roads should be left empty and scenic. All that nasty economic activity cluttering up the nice scenery. Because Scotland's economy is so obviously overheating... :(
    You dunderheid , a polluting juggernaut churning up your road surfaces whilst polluting the air and causing traffic jams adds nothing to the economy. It may assist Ireland and England but would be shit for Scotland, all we get is pollution and a roads bill.
    Unless you think a few pork pies and some red bull at service stations is economic nirvana.
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    "It must have been Gove, but it's over now"
  • Options

I could see it making a major difference to the people of Galloway, which would suddenly be well connected to a decent sized city. Less so the people of Antrim.

For context, there will be seven Cairnryan to Larne ferry crossings tomorrow, so it is already a significant travel route.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Is there a Paddy Power market yet? First vehicle to drive from NI to Scotland before/after Jan 1 2035?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Dadge said:

viewcode said:

Corollary to Newton's Third Law: for every engineer (who hates Boris Johnson and the ground he walk on) there exists an opposite and equal engineer (who doesn't).
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Foxy said:

Bugger

Just one rogue traveller can infect Brighton it seems.
    Weirdly I though that was a reference to a Grand Prix for a moment.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    Prepare the tin foil, put on your N95 masks and ready the bug-out bags there maybe more to the bio-weapon conspiracy than was first thought!

Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1

PS, it has been withdrawn and I am not a microbiologist but it emanates from the IIT a globally respected institute. YMMV

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

There's definitely a need for a 'tactical' roadbuilding project fund, for upgrades and junctions with bottlenecks that need fixing. They probably represent the biggest value add of any infrastructure projects in terms of productivity.

I see they finally opened the Mere bypass, south of Manchester, a couple of years ago. That was a nightmare for decades.
    In fairness to the SouthEast/London M25-2 wouldn't be a bad use of funds either. You appreciate northern roads after time on that monstrosity.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Dadge said:

Endillion said:

Dadge said:

FPTP elections are much easier to count than PR elections.

The computer code for calculating PR results has been available for decades - the Electoral Reform Society and other agencies regularly calculate results by computer.

The only hard part is avoiding RSI among the typists who have the job of transferring the numbers from the ballot papers onto computer.
    Imagine if India had STV.

The election last year had a turnout of 67.4%, equalling 614,684,398 votes!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Why does England want to deny Scotland its democratic rights under International Law.

So as to keep it in a state of terrible subjugation to the whim of the English imperialist knout, of course! Either that or you should grow up.

Let's have a Scottish general election and find out whether a majority of voters will or won't support parties that promise another indyref. They haven't before, but perhaps there will be a first time. If they do, bring on the rerun. Don't worry - Boris won't deny you. Otherwise, please stop saying that Scotland is being denied the exercise of its will. Deal? All over Europe, parties representing a minority of voters are claiming to be expressing the national spirit as they blame foreigners and incomers for not letting their nation achieve what it wants and fulfil its destiny. Scotland is one of the places where it's happening. This is both ugly and dangerous. England isn't denying you anything.

I have already seen stickers saying "End English Rule". Soon it could be "English Out". And "branch office" is a common SNP supporter term for all three of the main Scottish pro-Union parties.
    Oh , scolded by a 3rd former. You thick turnip , no-one in Scotland blames foreigners English or otherwise, they blame Westminster. Look to England for ugly and dangerous you myopic numpty. We have had plenty of election wins, we do not need to wait years for another one just because the English Government does not like democracy.
    With regard to the regional offices of the UK/English pro - Union parties, can you show me anywhere the proof that Scottish parties exist as entities in their own right and are not just sock puppet branch offices. I am being denied my democratic right to be able to decide if I want Scotland to be an independent country or part of an unequal nasty union. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
  • Options
    With 102 out of 160 seats declared, Sinn Féin are on 36. There is just one seat left which they can win (Clare).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

WE are not in any of those and what you are talking about are states , not countries. Totally different situation.
    PS: Who do you think should decide if Scotland wants to be an independent country , people of Scotland or England. Why does England want to deny Scotland its democratic rights under International Law.

Sorry I hit reply early so you only got half of my response.

England doesn't want to deny Scotland its democratic rights under International Law. Firstly England isn't making a decision here, England has no voice. Secondly Scotland rightly or wrongly has no democratic rights under International Law which is why Catalans can't appeal to the Hague etc to assert their rights under International Law.
    That is just bollox
    The right of a people to self-determination is a cardinal principle in modern international law (commonly regarded as a jus cogens rule), binding, as such, on the United Nations as authoritative interpretation of the Charter's norms. It states that people, based on respect for the principle of equal rights and fair equality of opportunity, have the right to freely choose their sovereignty and international political status with no interference.

The concept was first expressed in the 1860s, and spread rapidly thereafter. During and after World War I, the principle was encouraged by both Vladimir Lenin and United States President Woodrow Wilson. Having announced his Fourteen Points on 8 January 1918, on 11 February 1918 Wilson stated: "National aspirations must be respected; people may now be dominated and governed only by their own consent. 'Self determination' is not a mere phrase; it is an imperative principle of action."

During World War II, the principle was included in the Atlantic Charter, signed on 14 August 1941, by Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States, and Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, who pledged The Eight Principal points of the Charter. It was recognized as an international legal right after it was explicitly listed as a right in the UN Charter.
  • Options

Prepare the tin foil, put on your N95 masks and ready the bug-out bags there maybe more to the bio-weapon conspiracy than was first thought!

Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag

PS, it has been withdrawn and I am not a microbiologist but it emanates from the IIT a globally respected institute. YMMV

" identity /similarity to amino acid residues in key structural proteins of HIV-1 is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature."
  • Options

tlg86 said:

We're not the ones complaining about not having sovereignty. Heck, we don't even have our own parliament.

We have Westminster at the minute. English Tory MPs control an absolute majority of Westminster. That's not normally the case though.
    It may not be the case even now. There are 352 Tory MPs representing English constituences, but some are "migrant Scots" and it's more common for a Scottish MP to represent an English constituency than the other way round. [*] A source - possibly written by someone who had too much time on his hands - states that in 2012 there were 33 Scottish MPs representing seats outside of Scotland and most were Tories.

(*) No prizes for guessing why.
    If a Scottish person is an MP for an English seat then they are an English MP responsible for and to English voters.
    Henrietta is not too bright I am afraid.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

As section 2 points out absent a Nationalist majority in the Northern Ireland Assembly the Secretary of State can form a ground there is no need for a border poll.

Plus of course Westminster is sovereign and has a Tory majority and could repeal or amend the NI Act 1998 if needed to protect the Union and judges would have to obey.

Nah. You completely misunderstand the situation in RoI/NI. Every commentator, casual observer and small child mentions reunification, border poll, Unionist concern. They understand more about it than you.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Paragraph 2 says no such thing. It does not mention the Northern Ireland Assembly. If there were clear evidence that a border poll would be likely to succeed, a Secretary of State would need to grant one or expect to be judicially reviewed. He or she cannot ignore relevant evidence.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes and then dumping it all on to single lane A75 will be great fun.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Dadge said:

viewcode said:

Corollary to Newton's Third Law: for every engineer (who hates Boris Johnson and the ground he walk on) there exists an opposite and equal engineer (who doesn't).
    It is all bluff and bluster anyway, just usual hot air from the great balloon.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,941

If Boris is intent on spaffing the country’s money on a bridge with his name on it, couldn’t we just let him build his garden bridge & be done with it? It would be a lot cheaper.

(What the north actually needs is a ton of infrastructure spending spread all over everywhere, but electrifying a railway line doesn’t get your name in metaphorical lights does it?)
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    Pulpstar said:

" identity /similarity to amino acid residues in key structural proteins of HIV-1 is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature."
    https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1223666856923291648

I think I'm a little behind the curve...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

Andy_JS said:

Plus the Republic left the UK a century ago so even if SF won 100% there it should not affect NI
    I see you are as proficient in Irish affairs as you are on Scottish.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

I could see it making a major difference to the people of Galloway, which would suddenly be well connected to a decent sized city. Less so the people of Antrim.

For context, there will be seven Cairnryan to Larne ferry crossings tomorrow, so it is already a significant travel route.
    How many ferries could you subsidise with upwards of £40B
  • Options

Dadge said:

viewcode said:

I wouldn't like to have driven over it yesterday!
    Even in the remote chance they could build it then it would be closed more than it was open.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Or it might desensitized him.
    I have a fear of heights, it used to be very bad. Flying etc never bothered me, nor being inside a tall building, but looking out and seeing a gap to the ground was terrifying.

While at university I chose to face my fear. A free tandem skydive was offered to anyone who raised £250 for Children in Need. A total I easily raised because people knew I had a fear of heights and wanted to see me do it.

After doing the Skydive, which is possibly the most terrifying thing I've ever done, the fear was not as bad afterwards. I still don't like heights but its never been as scary as it was before then.
  • Options
    FBI is investigating more than 1,000 cases of Chinese theft of US technology

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-is-investigating-more-than-1000-cases-of-chinese-theft-of-us-technology/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

But this would be very near the bottom of any list of very large projects, if the most sensible were to be placed at the top.

And it's not as though we aren't contemplating several others (and seriously neglecting a number of smaller ones which are far better justified).
    A motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh would be far better use of cash.
  • Options

eek said:

Think he's got over it
    I bet he struggles with tying his shoe laces, a gormless git.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Nah. You completely misunderstand the situation in RoI/NI. Every commentator, casual observer and small child mentions reunification, border poll, Unionist concern. They understand more about it than you.

Up to his usual standards of accuracy though.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kicorse said:

Well that's clearly not the same, but I never said I was in favour of the project. If the engineers who are criticising it are right, it's a non-starter. The discussion was about whether it would have a significant impact, and it's reasonable to think that it would. That's one small piece of the puzzle when it comes to justifying it.
  • Options

What is the point?
    ... and will it have customs posts in the middle, or at each end?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

What an absolute tool...

A law-change was announced after an evacuated patient staying at Arrowe Park hospital on The Wirral tried to leave before completing the 14-day stay after his return from China, MailOnline understands.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7986189/Health-Secretary-Matt-Hancock-warns-coronavirus-imminent-threat-British-public.html

The British government spend a bloody fortune getting this person back to the UK, give them really good lodgings, food, etc, and all they have to do is spend 14 days watching Netflix. Now the government are having to change the law to stop idiots doing this.

According to the Daily Mail, "tough new laws" will be introduced allowing the police to "HANDCUFF suspected coronavirus patients and force them back into quarantine". (Capitals in original.) They say "The announcement (by Matt Hancock) will give the government powers to forcibly quarantine victims." Has somebody got a link? I couldn't find anything at the Number 10 or Home Office websites. Dominic said there wouldn't be government by "comms grid", and yet an increase in police powers seems to have been announced through the Daily Mail. I'm disappointed.
    Here you go:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/secretary-of-state-makes-new-regulations-on-coronavirus

The announcement of the designation of the threat was in most of the main news outlets this morning (though the link to the government site wasn't).

In accordance with Regulation 3, the Secretary of State declares that the incidence or transmission of novel Coronavirus constitutes a serious and imminent threat to public health, and the measures outlined in these regulations are considered as an effective means of delaying or preventing further transmission of the virus.

In accordance with Regulation 2, the Secretary of State designates Arrowe Park Hospital and Kents Hill Park as an “isolation” facility and Wuhan and Hubei province as an “infected area”
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    The funny thing about that is that the third bridge over the Thames has been planned, protested, and scrapped for at least 30 years by this point. Building that bridge would actually be an impressive achievement.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

The newly completed M8 says "Hello, Malc".
  • Options
    kicorse said:

malcolmg said:

kicorse said:

Well that's clearly not the same, but I never said I was in favour of the project. If the engineers who are criticising it are right, it's a non-starter. The discussion was about whether it would have a significant impact, and it's reasonable to think that it would. That's one small piece of the puzzle when it comes to justifying it.
    I am not convinced it is of any great value, especially to Scotland other than as a rat run for commercial lorries heading to Europe via English ports. Far far better infrastructure needs that would be beneficial.
  • Options
    Here's one bridge in London that Boris cancelled soon after becoming Mayor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Gateway_Bridge
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

It is 2 lanes almost all the way and jammed morning and night, giving it an M does not make it a motorway, it is merely a dual carriageway.
    Must surely be the only country in the developed world that does not have a proper road linking its two main cities and them not much more than 30 miles apart.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    As a measure of the reduced supply chain required by electric vehicles, I note that Tesla has just reopened its Chinese plant at the same time as Nissan has had to suspend production at its Kyushu unit.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Dadge said:

viewcode said:

https://twitter.com/oh_dear_wadawa/status/1226844914786426880
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

It is 2 lanes almost all the way and jammed morning and night, giving it an M does not make it a motorway, it is merely a dual carriageway.
    Must surely be the only country in the developed world that does not have a proper road linking its two main cities and them not much more than 30 miles apart.
    Between Junction 6 and J28 it's minimum three lanes.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Many motorways are only 2 lanes. The M53 is mostly 2 lanes and I know others that are too.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

That sounds more like a Canton than a Country. Two main cities 30 miles apart? Fill the gap with buildings and have one decent sized city and no need for a motorway. :)
  • Options
    During the 2017 election, I was surprised how annoyed my mother was by some promise or other (I think it was the Conservative promise to exempt Scotland from the winter fuel allowance cap/cuts). If Boris Johnson spends a lot on a bridge between Northern Ireland and Scotland doesn't have a huge amount of infrastructure spending in the north of England, I could see a lot of people here being pissed off.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

The M8 is about as pleasant to drive along as the A19 between Boro and Sunderland where single track lanes join perpendicular to people driving at 80mph....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

It is an enduring mystery to me why, given all the talk about creating a northern powerhouse to counterbalance London between Leeds and Manchester, attention has not been given instead to creating a Scottish powerhouse. The central belt is very compact and populous, and relatively low-lying.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Many motorways are only 2 lanes. The M53 is mostly 2 lanes and I know others that are too.
    Malc should know that almost all of the Scottish motorways are 2 lanes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Between Junction 6 and J28 it's minimum three lanes.
    I have driven it hundreds of times, between Glasgow and Edinburgh it is mainly 2 lane.
  • Options
    Seems the GP surgery outbreak is again linked to this one guy who went to Singapore / France.

A Brighton GP practice has been closed because a member of staff – thought to be a doctor – has tested positive for the killer coronavirus which has now infected eight people in the UK.

It is feared the staff member came into contact with a British 'super spreader', who is believed to have infected at least 11 others on a French ski holiday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7986517/Number-coronavirus-cases-UK-doubles-EIGHT.html
  • Options
    philiph said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

That sounds more like a Canton than a Country. Two main cities 30 miles apart? Fill the gap with buildings and have one decent sized city and no need for a motorway. :)
    Always one wag :D
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

It is an enduring mystery to me why, given all the talk about creating a northern powerhouse to counterbalance London between Leeds and Manchester, attention has not been given instead to creating a Scottish powerhouse. The central belt is very compact and populous, and relatively low-lying.
    That's the job of the Scottish Government.

Due to arguments over which city is better, and the need to shout independence to avoid answering questions regarding police, education and health the Government doesn't have time for forward thinking.

• Options

During the 2017 election, I was surprised how annoyed my mother was by some promise or other (I think it was the Conservative promise to exempt Scotland from the winter fuel allowance cap/cuts). If Boris Johnson spends a lot on a bridge between Northern Ireland and Scotland doesn't have a huge amount of infrastructure spending in the north of England, I could see a lot of people here being pissed off.

I don't see you whining about all the money spent in London MD, 250% difference.
  • Options

What a stupid project. If you think high winds on the Severn or Darford crossings are bad, then you have not experienced the North Channel in a bad mood.

And that is disregarding the technical issues of 1,000 ft depths, numerous wrecks and over 1 million tonnes of decaying munitions scattered across the seabed.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

Due to arguments over which city is better, and the need to shout independence to avoid answering questions regarding police, education and health the Government doesn't have time for forward thinking.

It does not have the money or the powers to do that , they are reserved to our Lords and Masters in London. They borrow all the cash but spend it down south rather than Scotland , or many other parts of England. We just have to pay the interest out of our pocket money.
    PS: Another expert on Scotland who talks through their arse.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

The A628 Woodhead Pass says hello, as a road linking equally sizable and proximate cities with, effectively, a high grade farm track.
  • Options
    philiph said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

You can have a motorway but still fill in the gaps too.

Glasgow to Edinburgh is a comparable distance to Liverpool to Manchester. Both NW cities are bigger than the Scottish ones and the distance between the two is largely filled by towns like Wigan, Warrington, Widnes etc - you can drive from Liverpool to Manchester along A-roads and never enter a rural spot, but that doesn't obviate the need for the M62.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    I know that I'm going to be accused of anti-Buttigieg behaviour, but there is no way that Buttigieg can survive close inspection as we saw on the Debate:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1226193905546416128

An intention for a proposal for a pathway towards expectations, is a hell of a vision right?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

PS Severn barrage.

It does not have the money or the powers to do that , they are reserved to our Lords and Masters in London. They borrow all the cash but spend it down south rather than Scotland , or many other parts of England. We just have to pay the interest out of our pocket money.
    PS: Another expert on Scotland who talks through their arse.
    The Scottish government can't raise taxes? Funny, I thought that was one of their powers.

Once the Scottish government stops with baubles the English don't get like free tuition and free prescriptions etc, etc - then I'll have sympathies for the idea the Scottish government lacks money. It has money, it makes choices, don't complain just because you want more too.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,993
    Dadge said:

Two reasons

1. It's completely transparent; a computer wouldn't be.
    2. It's enormous fun watching the results come in. Seriously. PBers should understand that. And you can bet on it.
  • Options

Seems the GP surgery outbreak is again linked to this one guy who went to Singapore / France.

A Brighton GP practice has been closed because a member of staff – thought to be a doctor – has tested positive for the killer coronavirus which has now infected eight people in the UK.

It is feared the staff member came into contact with a British 'super spreader', who is believed to have infected at least 11 others on a French ski holiday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7986517/Number-coronavirus-cases-UK-doubles-EIGHT.html

A GP has it? This is going bad very quickly.
This discussion has been closed.