Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On a holiday note linking the location of football clubs to wh

13»

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    edited December 2019
    Sounds and gesticulates a bit like Prince Charles./
  • Options

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.
    No, we won’t win the PL this season.

Brendan Rodgers will finally win the Premier League this season.
    We all know that when Liverpool are top of the League at Christmas, the team in second place picks up the trophy B)
    Indeed, after 2014 and last season (97pts and still didn’t win the league FFS) I’m reconciled to Liverpool never winning the title again.
    Not as reconciled as I am with Spurs....

Trying to avoid anything to do with football today, and PB does a thread on the bloody sport. :(
    Honestly who is that utter Mark Reckless of a ‘fan’ that besmirched the reputation of Spurs.

This is the sort of behaviour I’ve come to expect from fans of Chelsea and the spanners.
    Exactly - I feel like I'm in the same sordid company as that lot now.... yesterday was my grimmest day at a match I can recall.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2019
    felix said:

Anorak said:

So, there seems to be a rumour about Arlene Foster circulating. Not going to say any more as there's a fair chance it's bullshit, but it's not tricky to find.

If true I will laugh until I cry. It would be quite the most delicious thing.

Is it the dyke thing?
    Don't think so, although there seems to be some confusion over the gender of the other party.

Also: "dyke" - really?
  • Options
    Con 365
    Lab 202

:innocent:
  • Options

Norfolk Christmas cards.

British Pakistani surely :lol:
  • Options

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

We all know that when Liverpool are top of the League at Christmas, the team in second place picks up the trophy B)
    Indeed, after 2014 and last season (97pts and still didn’t win the league FFS) I’m reconciled to Liverpool never winning the title again.

Trying to avoid anything to do with football today, and PB does a thread on the bloody sport. :(
    Honestly who is that utter Mark Reckless of a ‘fan’ that besmirched the reputation of Spurs.

This is the sort of behaviour I’ve come to expect from fans of Chelsea and the spanners.
    Exactly - I feel like I'm in the same sordid company as that lot now.... yesterday was my grimmest day at a match I can recall.
    I feel your pain, apart from that other Mark Reckless at Arsenal last season, you're a very well regarded fan base, I think your club will nip it in the bud.
  • Options

Norfolk Christmas cards.

I'd start to worry if your boyfriend was your brother also.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    Chameleon said:

Is Rugby Union now the most left-wing sport in the country (on selected measures)?

Rugby Union is the only major sport where teams represent more Labour constituencies than Conservative ones across all three top leagues (Premiership: 5.5L, 4.5C. 2 LD. Championship: 6L, 3C, 1LD. National 1: 10L, 5C, 1LD.

One thing that I found really interesting is that we're approach Rugby League/Rugby Union political crossover.

That is a remarkable observation, and actually much more interesting with the football one which is simply an observation that Labour do well in big cities and that big cities tend to have more successful football teams than small towns.

But rugby union has traditionally had a very interesting political basis: in England, very, very broadly, it is the sport of the middle classes in the North and in the south east, and is mmuch more broad based in the Midlands and South West. (I once played for a club in Nottingham where the flyhalf was the vaguely aristocratic son of a Tory MP and the scrumhalf lived in a caravn by the canal. And while the social mix was interesting, what was also interesting is that nobody thought that the social mix was interesting or remarkable).

I remember a conversation a few months back about what the most leavey and remainey sports were. We settled on rugby leage and darts for leave; and winter sports and tennis for remain.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Before I go here’s a nice discussion for you all to sink your teeth into.

Turns out 52% of the country are wise.

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1206939296185376768?s=21

I wouldn't class it as a Christmas film, but it's a Christmas season film if that makes sense.
    Well the Great Escape is hardly Christmassy, but it featured in the childhood Xmases I remember.
  • Options
    felix said:

Anorak said:

So, there seems to be a rumour about Arlene Foster circulating. Not going to say any more as there's a fair chance it's bullshit, but it's not tricky to find.

If true I will laugh until I cry. It would be quite the most delicious thing.

Is it the dyke thing?
    Baby, you can drive her car.
  • Options
    Make sure you all leave sherry and mince pies of for Santa Claus, just over 30 hours until he arrives.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Before I go here’s a nice discussion for you all to sink your teeth into.

Turns out 52% of the country are wise.

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1206939296185376768?s=21

I wouldn't class it as a Christmas film, but it's a Christmas season film if that makes sense.
    Well the Great Escape is hardly Christmassy, but it featured in the childhood Xmases I remember.
    Strange one that.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    He can't resist a chance to don a pinny can he? Shoot me, but it's endearing.
  • Options

He is hitting the right notes this Christmas. Sign of things to come, hopefully
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

A Chelsea fan has just been arrested.
  • Options

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

Nothing new.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    TGOHF666 said:

Starmer price drifting in for Next Labour Leader - now under 3s.

Lay Starmer. He`ll get a lot of flack for GE result. And he`s male.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    I`ve been away a few days - is Mr Woolie still posting?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

Good, hope he spends Christmas Day locked up and is never allowed to attend a football match again.

Kick it out.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Is Rugby Union now the most left-wing sport in the country (on selected measures)?

Rugby Union is the only major sport where teams represent more Labour constituencies than Conservative ones across all three top leagues (Premiership: 5.5L, 4.5C. 2 LD. Championship: 6L, 3C, 1LD. National 1: 10L, 5C, 1LD.

One thing that I found really interesting is that we're approach Rugby League/Rugby Union political crossover.

That is a remarkable observation, and actually much more interesting with the football one which is simply an observation that Labour do well in big cities and that big cities tend to have more successful football teams than small towns.

But rugby union has traditionally had a very interesting political basis: in England, very, very broadly, it is the sport of the middle classes in the North and in the south east, and is mmuch more broad based in the Midlands and South West. (I once played for a club in Nottingham where the flyhalf was the vaguely aristocratic son of a Tory MP and the scrumhalf lived in a caravn by the canal. And while the social mix was interesting, what was also interesting is that nobody thought that the social mix was interesting or remarkable).

I remember a conversation a few months back about what the most leavey and remainey sports were. We settled on rugby leage and darts for leave; and winter sports and tennis for remain.

Yeah, I found it really curious. Even more interestingly, there's a massive proportion of LD seats that have (or are a mere few hundred metres from) a prominent rugby team. Edinburgh West - Murrayfield (Scotland and Edinburgh), Bath - Bath, Twickenham/Richmond/Kingston - England, Harlequins, Richmond, London Scottish.

The only other LD constituencies in England are OWAb, St. Albans (who have a third tier team) and Westmorland.

Cardiff Central is the Millenium, which used to be LD until 2015.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694

A politician who has shown very little interest in homelessness over a long career gets a photo-op with his oligarch friend at a homeless shelter.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

It really annoyed me this morning when a PFA rep tried to link Chelsea having racist fan issues with Brexit vote, claiming this only started being openly a problem after the referendum.

The interviewer didn't pick them up on one of the most infamous recent incidents which was when Chelsea fans racially abused / prevented a black guy getting on the Metro in Paris...in 2015.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Endillion said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Mince pies better than xmas pudding? I dont know this country anymore and I dont want to know it now.
    Also, no human being worthy of my respect could, when hungry, be offered a choice of a roast potato or bacon/sausage related product and choose the potato. Roast potatoes are great, but they are the support act.
    Why do you hate the Jews?

You must be a Labour Party member right?
    Er, isn't he implying he hates Muslims just as much?

In the context of a "favourite Christmas food", I'm not convinced either case is relevant.
    Jews and Muslims celebrate Christmas as well.

Although in this household our Christmas Day food begins with hors d’ouevres of onion bhajis and samosas, followed by salmon replete with mash, glazed carrots and parsnips.

Turkey is too bloody dry.
    Depends how you cook it.
    Butter under the skin, bacon on top and water in the cavity to steam the inside and keep it moist.

However, duck or goose is a better bet. Capon works too if you've been organised and ordered one in November.
    Some vegetarian poultry substitute for me, please :smile:
  • Options
    FF43 said:

A politician who has shown very little interest in homelessness over a long career gets a photo-op with his oligarch friend at a homeless shelter.
    Well the article refers to them both 'camping out' for a previous homeless event, and to some homeless friendly actions Boris took as mayor, so that's not quite true.

Lebedev looks a bit rough doesn't he? Reminds me of Captain Haddock from Tintin.
  • Options
    If one did this with horse racing grounds I would imagine a near total tory domination with a bit of LD scattered around
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    There was an interesting interview with Matthew Goodwin, talking about the underlying reasons for the GE result.

He tells an interesting story about how he gave the same presentation to Ed Miliband's team and then on the same day Lynton Crosby. Team Miliband apparently sat there looking uninterested, had no questions and said thanks but no thanks. Crosby apparently had a whole load of detailed questions about his research, similar academic material etc etc etc.

Goodwin said Crosby was one of the most switched on people he had ever met in politics.
  • Options

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

It really annoyed me this morning when a PFA rep tried to link Chelsea having racist fan issues with Brexit vote, claiming this only started being openly a problem after the referendum.

The interviewer didn't pick them up on one of the most infamous recent incidents which was when Chelsea fans racially abused / prevented a black guy getting on the Metro in Paris...in 2015.
    Only time I've ever been racially abused following Liverpool in the UK was by Chelsea fans, back in 2005.

It was the cherry on the parfait after losing to Chelsea in the Rumbelows cup final.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

You do not like Boris but to be fair he has hit the right notes with his address to our British Jews and the homeless. It is Christmas, and maybe time to be joyful rather than cynical
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited December 2019

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

Anyone who thinks this started with Brexit (the BBC was saying there was an increase in cocaine usage ffs) hasn't been to a football match at any time over the past forty years and definitely hasn't been to Stamford Bridge during that time.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

So little interest that he spent a night sleeping on the streets to highlight homelessness when he was Mayor. With that same oligarch friend.
  • Options

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

It has gone on for decades, long before Brexit, Boris or Corbyn

It needs dealing with by arresting and banning the misfits that that take pleasure in racially abusing someone, but also to affirm that it is a small number and most people today reject racial abuse
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2019
    Well done the Chelsea fan's turning in their racist.... hopefully we'll do the same although I'm not sure what to make of the clubs latest statement. The warning announcement was made 3 separate times during the second half which made for an even odder atmosphere as we didn't have a clue who was supposed to have done what (not hearing anything untoward in the North stand).

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1209166062685708288?s=20
  • Options

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

It needs dealing with by arresting and banning the misfits that that take pleasure in racially abusing someone, but also to affirm that it is a small number and most people today reject racial abuse
    One of the biggest changes in problems at football (racism and violence) over the past 10-15 years is actually it now is much less prevalent at EPL games, instead it is much more of an issue at lower league games.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    edited December 2019
    That Klobouchar boost from the debate that was expected by pundits doesn't seem to have happened. The position, leaving aside outlier bumps, seems to be:

* Buttigieg still holding a tiny lead in IA and NH, but second division elsewhere.He's counting on the early states catapulting him up in the rest, but might not get that clear a win
    * Sanders edging ahead of Warren on the progressive side, and slowly closing on Biden, even in Biden's firewall SC
    * Trump disapproval ratings still much the same, neither up nor down after impeachment
    * Everyone *except* Buttigieg still slightly ahead of Trump. It's a small difference but quite consistent - I wonder if he loses Rust Belt voters that Biden or Sanders would keep.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
  • Options

That Klobouchar boost from the debate that was expected by pundits doesn't seem to have happened. The position, leaving aside outlier bumps, seems to be:

* Buttigieg still holding a tiny lead in IA and NH, but second division elsewhere.He's counting on the early states catapulting him up in the rest, but might not get that clear a win
    * Sanders edging ahead of Warren on the progressive side, and slowly closing on Biden, even in Biden's firewall SC
    * Trump disapproval ratings still much the same, neither up nor down after impeachment
    * Everyone *except* Buttigieg still slightly ahead of Trump. It's a small difference but quite consistent - I wonder if he loses Rust Belt voters that Biden or Sanders would keep.

I don;t think there have been any polls where all the fieldwork took place after the latest debate. So we cannot draw conclusions yet. What is clear is that since the debate Klobouchar has been getting a lot more coverage in the US media.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694

FF43 said:

You do not like Boris but to be fair he has hit the right notes with his address to our British Jews and the homeless. It is Christmas, and maybe time to be joyful rather than cynical
    I think I am pretty factual. It clearly is a photo-op and actually he has shown little interest in homelessness compared with other politicians. He did run a couple of half-hearted schemes when he was Mayor of London, for an area that was a key part of his remit. Homelessness in London rose very substantially on his watch and he didn't show much concern to do anything meaningful about it.

I like his Hanukkah message to British Jews, which was warm and sincere.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

One of the biggest changes in problems at football (racism and violence) over the past 10-15 years is actually it now is much less prevalent at EPL games, instead it is much more of an issue at lower league games.
    IIRC correctly the Premier League threatened to lock the turnstiles on any club who couldn’t control their fans. The prospect of matches played behind closed doors focussed the minds of the club directors.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Byronic said:

Whether you like Boris or not, this is a brilliant Chanukah message to British Jews.

Full of vim, wit, and passion. And he does - or he fakes - emotional intelligence very well.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1208789388278276096?s=20

He might just have the makings of a fine prime minister. He's certainly the first I can watch, since Early Blair, without wincing or yawning.

Lovely when there's accord in the world at this time of year.

https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1208845819174117377?s=20
    Presumably you actively seek out Hopkins content. She’s vermin so I see why she might appeal to nationalists.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

Anyone who thinks this started with Brexit (the BBC was saying there was an increase in cocaine usage ffs) hasn't been to a football match at any time over the past forty years and definitely hasn't been to Stamford Bridge during that time.
    Stamford Bridge is the only place where I’ve seen fighting between one team’s supporters, in that case over, hard to believe, the merits of Kerry Dixon. Shed End, 1991. Stamford Bridge really was a slum them.
  • Options
    TBH, I am surprised Katie Hopkins hasn't been given the ban hammer by twitter.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635

There was an interesting interview with Matthew Goodwin, talking about the underlying reasons for the GE result.

He tells an interesting story about how he gave the same presentation to Ed Miliband's team and then on the same day Lynton Crosby. Team Miliband apparently sat there looking uninterested, had no questions and said thanks but no thanks. Crosby apparently had a whole load of detailed questions about his research, similar academic material etc etc etc.

Goodwin said Crosby was one of the most switched on people he had ever met in politics.

Oh, if only a poster had posted a link to the interview at 2:43pm today... :)
  • Options
    matt said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

Stamford Bridge is the only place where I’ve seen fighting between one team’s supporters, in that case over, hard to believe, the merits of Kerry Dixon. Shed End, 1991. Stamford Bridge really was a slum them.
    West Ham too and in v recent times.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

matt said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

First like Liverpool.

Surely this season.

If you see fighting it's nothing too dramatic.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Mansfield is now a safer Tory seat than Huntingdon, Ben Bradley got 64% on December 12th to Jonathan Djanogoly's 55%.

That suggests middle class Tory Remain or narrowly Leave voting seats in the South are more vulnerable now than working class heavily Leave voting Tory seats in the Midlands and the North and Wales but Labour need a more centrist leader to be able to appeal to them or else one who does not frighten middle class voters so much that they vote Tory still rather than risk voting LD
    I think he misses a couple of things here:

1 - The difference between "post-mining" and "post-industrial". I can point you to new manufacturing companies in the area employing a thousand+ each which have been grown from tiddlers since say 1975 (eg Eurocell, Synseal).

2 - Growth of Local / Independent Politics.

3 - Ben Bradley has aiui borrowed the Lib Dem toolkit.

4 - Significant new housing / commuting.
    All factors but none of that changes the core facts that Mansfield is a working class seat and Huntingdon is a middle class seat and since 1992 Mansfield has gone from just 33% Tory to 64% Tory while Huntingdon has gone from 66% Tory to 54% Tory.

The Labour vote has collapsed in Mansfield from 54% in 1992 to just 30% now while in Huntingdon the Labour vote has actually risen from 16% in 1992 to 22% now
    We need a thread on the efficiency of the Tory vote......
    Party  Votes  Seats  Votes per seat
    Con 13,966,565 365 38,264
    Lab 10,269,076 202 50,837
    SNP 1,242,380 48 25,882
    LD 3,696,423 12 308,035
    BXP 642,303 0
    It's not too surprising that the Tories have the most efficient vote, since Labour will have had a lot of near misses.
    We need to do something about that very efficient SNP vote, tho....😈
  • Options

When Croatian team Rijeka came to play Aberdeen recently some of my friends were part of the professional stadium security detail at Pittodrie. While they were discussing security arrangements with the Croatian police they were asked how they intended to separate the fans. They explained how home and away fans would be kept apart but the Croatian police were more interested in how they could separate one faction of the Croatian fans from another. The fans when they arrived were decked out in Swastikas and other Neo-Nazi paraphernalia.
  • Options
    matt said:

Byronic said:

Whether you like Boris or not, this is a brilliant Chanukah message to British Jews.

Full of vim, wit, and passion. And he does - or he fakes - emotional intelligence very well.

He might just have the makings of a fine prime minister. He's certainly the first I can watch, since Early Blair, without wincing or yawning.

Presumably you actively seek out Hopkins content. She’s vermin so I see why she might appeal to nationalists.
    I probably spent less time seeking it out than you did noting my post and composing a pompous and tediously lumbering reply.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    matt said:

Byronic said:

In what world is it right to describe a lady as vermin?

• Options
    Omnium said:

matt said:

Byronic said:

In a world where they act like a repulsive rodent, and are about as welcome in a civilised house as one.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

matt said:

Byronic said:

I probably spent less time seeking it out than you did noting my post and composing a pompous and tediously lumbering reply.
    “Let me assure you, Herr Blackadder, if I no longer had a tongue with which to make such an offer, you will no longer have a tongue with which to tell me, that if I had inconweenienced you, I will no longer have a tongue with which to offer you his tongue.”
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    viewcode said:

Oh, if only a poster had posted a link to the interview at 2:43pm today... :)
    I watched that interview earlier today as it popped up in my you tube suggested views.

Really, really interesting and paints a bleak, bleak picture for Labour
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

matt said:

Byronic said:

In a world where they act like a repulsive rodent, and are about as welcome in a civilised house as one.
    That' s pretty bad form
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Watching Witcher on Netflix.

Of somewhat uneven quality, but entertaining.
    Henry Cavill’s performance seems to be channeling the vocals of Marvin the Paranoid Android from the original BBC radio production of Hitchhiker...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Nigelb said:

Henry Cavill’s performance seems to be channeling the vocals of Marvin the Paranoid Android from the original BBC radio production of Hitchhiker...

Life? Don't talk to me about life....
  • Options

I don;t think there have been any polls where all the fieldwork took place after the latest debate. So we cannot draw conclusions yet. What is clear is that since the debate Klobouchar has been getting a lot more coverage in the US media.

And has raised a reasonable amount of cash. I don’t think she has much of a chance, but she is not a complete no-hoper.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

Nigelb said:

Life? Don't talk to me about life....
    Fine, I won’t.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

matt said:

Byronic said:

er.., no.

Your view is wrong. Plain wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Endillion said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Mince pies better than xmas pudding? I dont know this country anymore and I dont want to know it now.
    Also, no human being worthy of my respect could, when hungry, be offered a choice of a roast potato or bacon/sausage related product and choose the potato. Roast potatoes are great, but they are the support act.
    Why do you hate the Jews?

You must be a Labour Party member right?
    Er, isn't he implying he hates Muslims just as much?

In the context of a "favourite Christmas food", I'm not convinced either case is relevant.
    Jews and Muslims celebrate Christmas as well.

Although in this household our Christmas Day food begins with hors d’ouevres of onion bhajis and samosas, followed by salmon replete with mash, glazed carrots and parsnips.

Turkey is too bloody dry.
    Depends how you cook it.
    Butter under the skin, bacon on top and water in the cavity to steam the inside and keep it moist...
    You Tories have the strangest perversions...

• Options
    edited December 2019

Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

matt said:

Byronic said:

That' s pretty bad form

Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

matt said:

Byronic said:

That' s pretty bad form
    No, it’s accurate. She a racist bigot. And a cancer on the body politic.
  • Options

matt said:

Byronic said:

Whatever makes you hard.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

matt said:

Byronic said:

That' s pretty bad form
    Nah, there is no place for ethno-nationalist racists in public discourse. Let alone one who frequently makes outrageous lies up and dogwhistles about final solutions.

Given her comparisons between migrants and cockroaches, my comparison of her to vermin is a remarkably generous one I think.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    I didn't realise that MK Dons and Wimbledon are in the same division...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    On the other hand, Tony Blair alone won cumulative majorities greater than Cameron + Major + May + Johnson + Heath + Churchill...

• Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

There are very few polls conducted, none after the last democratic debate.
    The Trump campaign does make good internet ads but he doesn't promote them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DTk_seCRlo
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Finally, Rory Stewart makes sense. (On the subject of Star Wars.)
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

matt said:

Byronic said:

That' s pretty bad form
    Ms Hopkins herself has form in calling people vermin. In particular, she described the migrants crossing the Mediterranean as such.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

I'm against no human and I take everyone as they are, regardless of their skin colour or religious beliefs.

You get exceptions like Justin Bieber, he's a prick.

Although I wouldn't like living next door to a Romanian, etc.

We nearly had to live next door to Justin Bieber. You’re right - he is a prick. Blocked our garage with his Bentley.
    Would it be forgiveable to block your garage with a DB5?
    Not if it stops me getting my citation-red mustang convertible out...
  • Options

Buttigieg outperforms other Democratic candidates against Trump when people know who he is.

See: https://slate-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/12/political-case-for-mayor-pete-buttigieg.amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/12/political-case-for-mayor-pete-buttigieg.html
  • Options

Charles said:

This analysis reminds me of the famous example of correlation not being the same as causation (forest fires and ice cream sales).

Remain voters tend to be based in large towns and cities, as do successful football club. One does not cause the other.

Thought it was drowning and ice cream sales?
    If you like that, you'll love this:

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
    My favourite is rainfall on Mt Snowdon and performance of the FTSE100
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    On the other hand, Tony Blair alone won cumulative majorities greater than Cameron + Major + May + Johnson + Heath + Churchill...

Tories 365
    Lab 202 :p
  • Options
    Wannabe KT Hopkins and scourge of lefty remoanerdom Allison Pearson putting in a Lammy-esque shift on Christmas University Challenge.
  • Options
    Heard on a you tube video a little earlier

"Labour have no big bests running for leader, only small household animals"

Snigger
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Tories 365
    Lab 202 :p
    But Labour think they won the argument..........
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

That was a long, long time ago in universe far, far away (from where they are now)

See what I did there .....
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

This analysis reminds me of the famous example of correlation not being the same as causation (forest fires and ice cream sales).

Remain voters tend to be based in large towns and cities, as do successful football club. One does not cause the other.

Phases of the moon and stock market movements
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    HYUFD said:
    It was good fun and I enjoyed it, but I cannot deny that the whinges about the previous film caused a negative reaction.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    I’m told that The Rise of Skywalker is worse than the Last Jedi.

If so, it must be damn near unwatchable.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Heard on a you tube video a little earlier

"Labour have no big bests running for leader, only small household animals"

Snigger

They certainly have no bests, only least worst.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    I’m told that The Rise of Skywalker is worse than the Last Jedi.

If so, it must be damn near unwatchable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pAsss_nTlk
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    It was good fun and I enjoyed it, but I cannot deny that the whinges about the previous film caused a negative reaction.
    The Last Jedi was excellent, this one looks pretty average at best but I will go and see it, though Knives Out is by far the best film of the Holiday season
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Just learnt that our Totnes MP was the first of the new intake to swear the oath - if he is still around in about 45 years he could be Father of the House!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Buttigieg outperforms other Democratic candidates against Trump when people know who he is.

See: https://slate-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/12/political-case-for-mayor-pete-buttigieg.amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/12/political-case-for-mayor-pete-buttigieg.html
    Biden actually still outperforms Buttigieg amongst all voters in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin against Trump
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

And are Labour showing any desire to go back to the election winning policies of Tony Blair?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But I can believe in a link there - stock market movement are a product of emotion and temperament and that can be influenced by the moon (light etc, nothing mystical)
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But I can believe in a link there - stock market movement are a product of emotion and temperament and that can be influenced by the moon (light etc, nothing mystical)
    It's not just light, it has physiological effects. It's well known that more people and animals die (I think during the lowest ebb, but it could be under a full moon). And children and babies are a nightmare apparently when there's a full moon. We're just out of touch with these things these days.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well you're definitely doing your part to make sure people know who he is!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    The Last Jedi was excellent, this one looks pretty average at best but I will go and see it, though Knives Out is by far the best film of the Holiday season
    That's a good summation I'd say. It delivers, I won't call it bad and I'll watch it again and enjoy it, but it delivers in a very expected kind of way.
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I think it's simpler than that:
    * The moon has a 28-day cycle.
    * Stock market settlement used to go on a 14-day cycle.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    The Last Jedi was excellent
    Your taste in films matches your taste in polling data!
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

More coverage, but in the scheme of things swamped by impeachment proceedings, and then with it being the week before Christmas it is probably the lowest attention to TV news generally anyway.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I really enjoyed it, even though there is virtually no plot.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It's not just light, it has physiological effects. It's well known that more people and animals die (I think during the lowest ebb, but it could be under a full moon). And children and babies are a nightmare apparently when there's a full moon. We're just out of touch with these things these days.
    Charles is clearly a believer in these things given that he berated AlistairMeeks earlier as if lunatic were an actual mental health diagnosis. (It is possible I am just catching up with a wheel that has already turned rather than pulling together two disparate comments).
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I really enjoyed it, even though there is virtually no plot.
    I assume you mean Rise of the Skywalker rather than Knives Out...
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

FF43 said:

So little interest that he spent a night sleeping on the streets to highlight homelessness when he was Mayor. With that same oligarch friend.
    It's a shame they had no political power or money between them then. Or even some kind of way or reaching out to the public on a mass basis.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Wannabe KT Hopkins and scourge of lefty remoanerdom Allison Pearson putting in a Lammy-esque shift on Christmas University Challenge.

Well, facts are not her strong point...
This discussion has been closed.