Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Britain’s electoral patterns are changing – three great FT

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    HaroldO said:

kle4 said:

Madness. These people are insane. No Deal to be the law.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1206693158924496898

It is already isn't it, if the WA passes and then no agreement in time?

Still possible he goes for a closer deal and expects opposition to back it as no deal will be law but more likely hes going for what he intends and hed rather no deal than mess around for years.

I thought he wanted no deal earlier this year and was wrong, but I think he wants whatever gets brexit done quicker. If he cannot get a deal he likes quickly he can therefore give up rather than extend.

It’s hubris. He thinks he can do as he wishes with no consequences. But he’s not up against Corbyn now.

Looks like he will be up against RLB, which is...an upgrade?
    It is.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    What do we think about Clive Lewis?

If the Remain Mafia want one of their own he could be in with a shout. Also more to the left than the Tory scum moderates.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

How depressingly predictable and, note, contrary to the assurances given by the Lord Chancellor, Robert Buckland QC.

Time for companies to start brushing up on WTO tariffs, if they haven’t already.

An Irish company for me to carry on doing my business with EU clients.
    Even Mandelson said today Boris could get a basic Canada minus style goods focused trade deal with the EU by next December and he will
    Indeed. Goods.

And if you look at what the EU has said they want to discuss - fishing is on the list if Britain wants any sort of access for its goods. So will Boris stick by his new fishing constituencies or ditch them for a basic FTA?

And what about the high earning services sector? You know, the one which brings in the tax revenues to pay for the spending Boris has promised. Put it this way: if I have to do my work through an Irish company it won’t be the British Treasury getting the tax revenues.

A basic FTA - if obtained - could still be a hell of a shock to the economy. That’s a risk - and if it happens it could all too easily derail Boris’s ability to fulfil his promises.

I hope Britain gets a good FTA with the EU. I really do. People are far too sanguine about the consequences if it doesn’t or only gets the bare minimum.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:
    And if you read the text of the blog in question you'll realise Cummings is stark raving bonkers

https://dominiccummings.com/2019/03/01/on-the-referendum-31-project-maven-procurement-lollapalooza-results-nuclear-agi-safety/

This is beyond green ink level madness.

This is two steps away from a blog post stating that 8.735 year cycles explain everything.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Fishing said:

One correlation I think would work particularly well in England and Wales is Tory majority by constituency and distance from constituency to the nearest former coalmine or major university.

What correlation are you expecting?

North East Somerset is an interesting example - it's on top of a former coalfield and encircles Bath University.
    Newcastle under Lyme contains both Keele University and Silverdale colliery.
    How far is Derbyshire Northeast from Derby Uni?
  • Options

Here are some interesting Northern Ireland statistics.
  • Options

Yes, as usual at leader election time new members are flooding in - we got 15 in SW Surrey alone last week. No idea how they lean.
    Won't matter if the media reports are correct, as they won't be eligible to vote.

The rules were changed in 2018 so that anyone who becomes a member up to two weeks after the leadership election timetable is announced can vote in it.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,839
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

How depressingly predictable and, note, contrary to the assurances given by the Lord Chancellor, Robert Buckland QC.

Time for companies to start brushing up on WTO tariffs, if they haven’t already.

Though there is the small issue of the WTO resolution panels now being inquorate. So now the WTO is nearly toothless in enforcing anything. We are entering a 1930s type international tariff war, without the benefit of Empire trade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/12/05/wtos-trade-dispute-appeal-system-could-end-dec-heres-what-you-need-know/
    Like the 1930’s, you say?

How encouraging.
    It's being so cheerful that keeps me going.

I think BoZo is Berlisconi rather than Mussolini.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Is Thornberry really going to take Flint to court?

Is Thornberry trying to win the Jacob Rees-Mogg Award for the Most Disliked Politician in the country?

Not if you still count Flint as a politician
    What happened to you, Peter?

You used to be a lovable old rascal. You impregnated your researcher, but got back with your wife, like a true politician of the old school.

You knew how to use your modern technology, like an electric kettle.

You were a lovable old pooch. Comfy like an old sock.

And now you are reduced to bitter posts on pb.com about Flinty.

What happened? Did Flinty turn you down?

Or is it kidney stones?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Cyclefree said:

HaroldO said:

Crank left pivoting on Jess Phillips, she is a transphobe and a racist. Because shit like that flew so well last week.

Well, if she’s a racist she ought to fit right in in Labour.
    I don't much like Jess Phillips, and I think she'd make a poor Leader of the Opposition, and a rotten Prime Minister. However, if there's one Labour MP I'd trust to sort out Labour's anti-Semitism problem, it's her.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2019

Yes, as usual at leader election time new members are flooding in - we got 15 in SW Surrey alone last week. No idea how they lean.
    Won't matter if the media reports are correct, as they won't be eligible to vote.

The rules were changed in 2018 so that anyone who becomes a member up to two weeks after the leadership election timetable is announced can vote in it.

Sky were suggesting the Team Corbyn / NEC are going to change this and have the cut off as prior to the GE.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,039
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    And if you read the text of the blog in question you'll realise Cummings is stark raving bonkers

https://dominiccummings.com/2019/03/01/on-the-referendum-31-project-maven-procurement-lollapalooza-results-nuclear-agi-safety/

This is two steps away from a blog post stating that 8.735 year cycles explain everything.
    He's not actually running policy. He's a man paid by rich men to fool the poor.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I see the NI Conservatives almost held their deposit in North Down, good for them.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

HaroldO said:

Crank left pivoting on Jess Phillips, she is a transphobe and a racist. Because shit like that flew so well last week.

I don't much like Jess Phillips, and I think she'd make a poor Leader of the Opposition, and a rotten Prime Minister. However, if there's one Labour MP I'd trust to sort out Labour's anti-Semitism problem, it's her.
    She'd blow the Labour party up.

It would sort out the antiSemitism problem because there would only be tiny smithereens of the Labour party left.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

HaroldO said:

It would sort out the antiSemitism problem because there would only be tiny smithereens of the Labour party left.
    Yeah, that's sorta my point. If necessary, she'd blow the party up if it was the right thing to do, without much thinking through the implications.

Neatly encapsulates both what's good and bad about her. And why she might conceivably be even more dangerous than Corbyn, in some ways.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

HaroldO said:

Phillips - Burgon is the dream ticket for the neutral.
  • Options

Sky were suggesting the Team Corbyn / NEC are going to change this and have the cut off as prior to the GE.

That would guarantee a proper Labour split, so no bad thing.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

HaroldO said:

Works fine for me to be honest. 🤷
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Even Mandelson said today Boris could get a basic Canada minus style goods focused trade deal with the EU by next December and he will
    Indeed. Goods.

And if you look at what the EU has said they want to discuss - fishing is on the list if Britain wants any sort of access for its goods. So will Boris stick by his new fishing constituencies or ditch them for a basic FTA?

And what about the high earning services sector? You know, the one which brings in the tax revenues to pay for the spending Boris has promised. Put it this way: if I have to do my work through an Irish company it won’t be the British Treasury getting the tax revenues.

A basic FTA - if obtained - could still be a hell of a shock to the economy. That’s a risk - and if it happens it could all too easily derail Boris’s ability to fulfil his promises.

I hope Britain gets a good FTA with the EU. I really do. People are far too sanguine about the consequences if it doesn’t or only gets the bare minimum.
    A basic FTA for goods enables ending free movement and our own trade deals which is exactly what Brexit was won on, the City is big enough to look after itself and it was not the City or its offshoots which won the referendum but the North and Midlands.

Leaving the EU also means leaving the Common Fisheries Policy what replaces it can be determined later
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,039
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

A basic FTA for goods enables ending free movement and our own trade deals which is exactly what Brexit was won on, the City is big enough to look after itself and it was not the City or its offshoots which won the referendum but the North and Midlands.

Leaving the EU also means leaving the Common Fisheries Policy what replaces it can be determined later
    As one used to be able to say before Brexitism-Northism became the state religion, there are about seventeen big exporting factories and everything else in the North is funded by HMG via tax revenues from services.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

One way to get a deal

How does that work, Mr G?

As Mandelson said today and HYUFD has just commented a basic Canada deal is possible by December 2020

It will certainly focus minds and of course a trade deal with US is likely to be in place by the end of next year

The consequences of a bare-bones Canada Deal will be extremely severe. And will certainly concentrate a lot of minds in any number of businesses. A trade deal with the US will not come close to undoing the damage. Johnson’s hubris looks like being a immensely dangerous thing.

A Canada style Deal which leaves the single market and ends free movement and leaves the customs union and enables our own trade deals is what Vote Leave promised and what will now happen

Yep - and businesses and inward investors will react accordingly. And a lot of people will find that the practical reality does not match the promise.

• Options
    kle4 said:

I see the NI Conservatives almost held their deposit in North Down, good for them.

I agree with you, I always like to see the smaller parties do well.

Although, the people who voted for them won't get their transport costs or the energy wasted back.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

I am a curious person.

So ever since I heard this I have been wondering why a strategist with absolutely no defence or procurement experience at all would worry about defence procurement or think he has any abilities in such an area.

And then I remembered that he had spent time in Russia. And I also remembered some past links with .....

And then I remembered the defamation laws.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Are you lot really still arguing about the pros and cons of Brexit?
  • Options

Do you have a link to that please?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    edited December 2019
    Blimey RLB is odds on! This is an impending financial disaster!

• Options
    Yes, I thought they were great too, when I posted the first of them yesterday:
    You're welcome! ;-p
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

As one used to be able to say before Brexitism-Northism became the state religion, there are about seventeen big exporting factories and everything else in the North is funded by HMG via tax revenues from services.
    The City is the biggest financial centre in the world and does much of its business outside the EU anyway so will benefit from the new trade deals Boris will do
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Do you have a link to that please?
    I tell a lie, it was CH4. Gary Gibbon states it. So it probably total horse shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXWPsXc6SU
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Following the script

I don’t want it to happen
    It won’t happen
    Ok it’s happened, it’ll be a disaster you watch
  • Options
    moonshine said:

We're trying to, but no-one seems able to come up with any cons.
  • Options
    Interesting to see if hey ever do find a "software fix" to what is fundamentally a "hardware problem" - and then persuade 1)other global regulators, beyond the FAA and 2) Passengers to get back onboard them.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,119
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

They will sell fishing down the river and those thickos in NE Scotland will be surprised
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

Fisheries is not going to be determined later because the EU has made it clear that it is one of the very first things they will want sorted. If you want a basic FTA for goods you will need to sort out fisheries.

So I ask again: if the price for a basic goods FTA is access to the UK’s fishing waters, which way will Boris jump?

Sure the City can look after itself but you are ignoring my question: if some of those tax revenues decamp how is the government going to replace them?

An answer which tells me what I know already: which areas voted to Leave 3 years ago and who voted Tory this time is not an answer to these two quite specific questions. Maybe you don’t know, in which case, fair enough. We’ll have to wait and see. It’s one reason why I think politics will continue to be even more interesting than before in the next few weeks, unlike some on here.
  • Options
    isam said:

Blimey RLB is odds on! This is an impending financial disaster!

This must be insiders moving the price.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

They will sell fishing down the river and those thickos in NE Scotland will be surprised
    malcolmg as Emily Thornberry :)
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I’m trying to work out what Johnson is doing. Having been told on here that a big majority will give him the scope to reach a sensible deal with the EU, it seems he’s determined to tie the country’s hands, extend uncertainty and inflict unnecessary damage on the economy. It makes very little sense.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

The City is the biggest financial centre in the world and does much of its business outside the EU anyway so will benefit from the new trade deals Boris will do
    Do you really think the US will give access to UK financial services firms? Really??

Bless.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

Do you really think the US will give access to UK financial services firms? Really??

Bless.
    In return for access for US goods to the UK yes
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    Is membership cutoff not common practice anyway? I’m pretty sure it has happened in Tory leadership contests when Howard stood down that essentially there was a very tight window for new sign ups.

Even when Corbyn won I suspect a lot of the left leaning members had been joining in previous years in anticipation of Miliband losing and in fairness there was a strong argument back then after successive defeats for Brown and Ed that the party needed to tack leftwards.

Ultimately to stop Long Bailey the rest of the party will have to decide upon a single candidate, because if Starmer, Nandy and Phillips stand they will be butchered. Jezza got half the support in a 4 way race last time...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

Bless.

It’s kind of unlikely, isn’t it? Meanwhile, we’re going to find out that there’s a lot more to services than the City. Driving lorries, fixing broken parts, seconding staff, etc, etc, etc. It will be a steep learning curve.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

Bless.

Good luck with that!!

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goor a basic FTA?

A basic FTA for g
    Fisheries is not going to be determined later because the EU has made it clear that it is one of the very first things they will want sorted. If you want a basic FTA for goods you will need to sort out fisheries.

So I ask again: if the price for a basic goods FTA is access to the UK’s fishing waters, which way will Boris jump?

Sure the City can look after itself but you are ignoring my question: if some of those tax revenues decamp how is the government going to replace them?

An answer which tells me what I know already: which areas voted to Leave 3 years ago and who voted Tory this time is not an answer to these two quite specific questions. Maybe you don’t know, in which case, fair enough. We’ll have to wait and see. It’s one reason why I think politics will continue to be even more interesting than before in the next few weeks, unlike some on here.
    We currently have open access for EU fishing fleets to UK waters thanks to being in the EU and CFP, post Brexit we will leave both so whatever happens with fisheries it will be no worse than what we have now and given the looser trading relationship with the EU almost certainly a looser fishing relationship will follow too.

The government will tax less to keep businesses here and spend more, Boris is a believer in the laffer curve
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

No @isam: I have no interest in arguing about Brexit. It has been done and dusted for some while in my mind.

I am very interested in understanding what sort of FTAs Britain will seek and what these will mean. And I am curious to see what answers will be given (if any can at this stage) to the questions I have posed.

In all the excitement about the election, people have probably missed the repeated insistence in recent days with which the EU has mentioned fishing as a critical early issue - not just the EU but the French, the Dames and the Irish. And this will be very important to the Spanish too.

The Tories win Grimsby which will expect some payback. So will Boris fight for Grimsby and forego a basic goods FTA or go for the latter at the expense of Grimsby? We shall see.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    This has echos of the post Soviet era in central/ eastern Europe. I was visiting a large Polish company which, amongst its many relationships with Russia, built the wings for one of the Russian built civil aircraft (I can't remember names I'm afraid). The central and eastern European airlines had stopped buying Russian planes as they had had to previously, and were now buying western planes.

The guy I was talking to knew this but still seemed surprised that it had impacted Russian payment performance. He explained that they had pushed as hard as they could and had even stopped delivering the wings, but this hadn't worked so they were now having to stop making the wings because storage was becoming problematical.

I was trying to do non aerospace business with the company so I judged it prudent to just sympathise and change the subject. Never did do the business I was after.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

A basic FTA for g

We currently have open access for EU fishing fleets to UK waters thanks to being in the EU and CFP, post Brexit we will leave both so whatever happens with fisheries it will be no worse than what we have now and given the looser trading relationship with the EU almost certainly a looser fishing relationship will follow too.

The government will tax less to keep businesses here and spend more, Boris is a believer in the laffer curve
    He’s just reversed a corporation tax cut.

“so whatever happens with fisheries it will be no worse than what we have now...”. Amazing. Is this what is meant by BINO?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Is membership cutoff not common practice anyway? I’m pretty sure it has happened in Tory leadership contests when Howard stood down that essentially there was a very tight window for new sign ups.

Even when Corbyn won I suspect a lot of the left leaning members had been joining in previous years in anticipation of Miliband losing and in fairness there was a strong argument back then after successive defeats for Brown and Ed that the party needed to tack leftwards.

Ultimately to stop Long Bailey the rest of the party will have to decide upon a single candidate, because if Starmer, Nandy and Phillips stand they will be butchered. Jezza got half the support in a 4 way race last time...

The cutoff for Tory contests is, by construction, before the vacancy emerges (you need to have already been a member for three months at that point). The rationale for this is so obvious it doesn't even bear saying. The issue with Labour is the treatment of the £3 "registered supporters".

And the contest will be run under AV, which reduces although does not eliminate the risk of the field crowding each other out. Although last time, Smith and Eagle agreed between themselves that only one would stand to avoid this exact problem.
  • Options

moonshine said:

I’m trying to work out what Johnson is doing. Having been told on here that a big majority will give him the scope to reach a sensible deal with the EU, it seems he’s determined to tie the country’s hands, extend uncertainty and inflict unnecessary damage on the economy. It makes very little sense.

Why don’t you try to get comfortable with the fact that you hate him and see everything he does as deliberately evil or stupidly dangerous, and worry about something else?
  • Options

moonshine said:

How so?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

No @isam: I have no interest in arguing about Brexit. It has been done and dusted for some while in my mind.

I am very interested in understanding what sort of FTAs Britain will seek and what these will mean. And I am curious to see what answers will be given (if any can at this stage) to the questions I have posed.

In all the excitement about the election, people have probably missed the repeated insistence in recent days with which the EU has mentioned fishing as a critical early issue - not just the EU but the French, the Dames and the Irish. And this will be very important to the Spanish too.

The Tories win Grimsby which will expect some payback. So will Boris fight for Grimsby and forego a basic goods FTA or go for the latter at the expense of Grimsby? We shall see.
    When we leave the EU we will leave the Common Fisheries Policy, that is the main thing, the straight jacket currently restricting our fishermen in our waters compared to the rest of the EU will end
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

Bless.
    Commendably brief but you do seem to be an expert in everything.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

When we leave the EU we will leave the Common Fisheries Policy, that is the main thing, the straight jacket currently restricting our fishermen in our waters compared to the rest of the EU will end
    Except the EU want access to continue and we've lost our fishing fleet over the years so we actually don't need much access.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

A basic FTA for g

He’s just reversed a corporation tax cut.

“so whatever happens with fisheries it will be no worse than what we have now...”. Amazing. Is this what is meant by BINO?
    The 3 global financial centres are New York, London and Hong Kong, whatever happens with Brexit, Trump or indeed Hong Kong pro democracy conflict that will not change
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

Yes, let’s see
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

Except the EU want access to continue and we've lost our fishing fleet over the years so we actually don't need much access.
    They may want some access and they likely will have some access but they will no longer be able to have all access by definition as we will have left the CFP
  • Options
    (Not a first time poster, but couldn't recover my old account since moving to Oz)

Anyway, Labour are completely daft to be recruiting a leader now with at least 4 or 5 years till the next election. I always felt one of the things that killed Miliband's chances was he'd been LOTO for too long (same with Kinnock by 92).

Obviously Corbyn needs to go but they'd be much better off picking an interim leader, Harman/Beckett etc then going through a leadership election in 2/3 years time giving the new leader a decent run up to the next GE.
  • Options
    isam said:

moonshine said:

Why don’t you try to get comfortable with the fact that you hate him and see everything he does as deliberately evil or stupidly dangerous, and worry about something else?

I am very comfortable with the fact I think he is a dangerous liar who will happily inflict harm on people if he thinks there’s a vote in it. I wouldn’t worry about me, if I were you.

• Options
    isam said:

moonshine said:

He couldn't live with himself if he were to become that self aware.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

And landing the fish is only half the problem - you then have to sell the fish.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

Might be nice to conserve stocks?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Bless.
    Forgive my possible stupidity on this, but don't we already have all the access we're likely to get?

I have accounts with UK subsidiaries of US banks. There's nothing that I know of that stops UK banking providers setting up shop in the US, providing they comply with the necessary regulations - I think Barclays have an operation there, among others. And a decent chunk of all US property and casualty and insurance ends up in the London Market somehow or another, either directly through Lloyd's or indirectly via the Reinsurance markets.

What else is it that we want?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

isam said:

moonshine said:

I am very comfortable with the fact I think he is a dangerous liar who will happily inflict harm on people if he thinks there’s a vote in it. I wouldn’t worry about me, if I were you.

Yes I gathered that

I didn’t say I did worry about you, but actually I do. You constantly publicly torture yourself trying to find ways to deride everything people you disagree with do. It is quite exhausting to read, let alone live it.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

I didn’t say I did worry about you, but actually I do. You constantly torture yourself trying to find ways to deride everything people you disagree with do, it’s quite exhausting to read, let alone live it.

Ignore it. That way you can stay fresh.

• Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

I'd love to buy more fresh fish.

In fact, if you go to any of the small Welsh towns or villages on Cardigan Bay, it is impossible to buy fresh fish. There are no fishmongers. There are no (commercial) fishing boats.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

I didn’t say I did worry about you, but actually I do. You constantly torture yourself trying to find ways to deride everything people you disagree with do, it’s quite exhausting to read, let alone live it.

Ha I’m ok. It’s entertaining too, in a cringe tv kind of way

Did you ever watch series 2 of The Office?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,023
    isam said:

moonshine said:

You're saying that like it's a bad thing... :)
  • Options
    Northern Ireland Update

Emma Little Pengelly will become an MLA taking Carla Lockhart's old seat since she's now the Upper Bann MP.

Nigel Dodds is expected to get a Life Peerage and will not contest anymore elections.
  • Options

(Not a first time poster, but couldn't recover my old account since moving to Oz)

Anyway, Labour are completely daft to be recruiting a leader now with at least 4 or 5 years till the next election. I always felt one of the things that killed Miliband's chances was he'd been LOTO for too long (same with Kinnock by 92).

Obviously Corbyn needs to go but they'd be much better off picking an interim leader, Harman/Beckett etc then going through a leadership election in 2/3 years time giving the new leader a decent run up to the next GE.

You think Lansman would wear that? The Momentum cohort wants to tie up Labour tight in front of any ambition re next GE, which is only important in how it impacts on the prime ambition.
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

The Europeans buy most of the fish our fishermen catch.

• Options
    Off topic but betting and morality related, the 18 month ban on rugby coach Rob Howley for placing bets on rugby matches is way over the top.

He was betting no more than a few pounds a time, stupidly on rugby, with no intent or involvement in match fixing, and lost £4,000. In addition the the panel accepted that the trigger for this betting was the death of Howley's sister.

If the maximum ban for betting with match fixing intent is only 5 years then Howley shouldnt have had more than a suspended fine and education program.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/5062912400
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:
    Indeed. Goods.

Bless.
    This is delusional.

The US sees Brexit as a golden opportunity to wrest back from London a lot of the financial services business it has lost over the years and to make its own multi-service and investment banks even more dominant than they are already, as a result of the fact that there are no big European or British investment banking competitors left, other than Deutsche Bank - which is in deep shit - and HSBC - which is having its own profits and regulatory difficulties following the GFC.

Since at least the 1930’s it has been more or less impossible for any financial services firm to access the US market from outside. That will not change now.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

Sadly compelling
  • Options
    Off topic - does everyone think LadBaby will do it again!?

• Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

And we import a lot of fish, so?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019
    alterego said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

The people buying tiny prawns at Asda are in for a shock when we can’t get them but get the whole langoustine catch.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

Sadly compelling

Indeed. You should try other things. But it’s your decision. If you want to be saddened and exhausted by me, what can I do?

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,040
    HYUFD said:
    He is, for once, not wrong.

Two carriers were never going to be sustainable. The only way the RN got the 2010 SDSR decision to have one operational reversed was to lie about the crewing requirement citing mythical efficiency improvements from the HMWHS system. This turned out to be complete fucking cobblers and now neither of them can leave port without 200-300 very expensive civvie contractors in addition to their normal RN complement.

We also don't have, and are never likely have, sufficient aircraft and deck qualified crew to constitute two air "wings" anyway.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

And you don't think we might regain some of our fishing fleet if there is more for it to fish for?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Bless.
    Forgive my possible stupidity on this, but don't we already have all the access we're likely to get?

I have accounts with UK subsidiaries of US banks. There's nothing that I know of that stops UK banking providers setting up shop in the US, providing they comply with the necessary regulations - I think Barclays have an operation there, among others. And a decent chunk of all US property and casualty and insurance ends up in the London Market somehow or another, either directly through Lloyd's or indirectly via the Reinsurance markets.

The point is that currently you can only access by setting up entities in the US. That is costly - in terms of capital, labour and regulation. What UK firms would love to have is the ability to provide services into the US from the UK on a cross-border basis ie without needing to establish a place of business in the US.

No way will the US allow this.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

He's not actually running policy. He's a man paid by rich men to fool the poor.
    Bit of good news to cheer you up if you read the full thing though (I did shortly after he posted it as it happens!) but Cummings regards anthropogenic climate change as a potentially existential threat to mankind, recognises that the solutions to it are "hard" technically and economicaly, and moreover that there is a major incentives/organisational problem with getting mankind to coordinate its response. He has pondered about how this might be resolved using ideas from systems theory (which is quite popular among greenie environmental types, coincidentally).

Okay, bad news from your perspective is that Cummings is an unhinged crank, his "solutions" won't solve anything, just because he takes climate change really really seriously doesn't mean the head Tories will once big industrial donors / employers start to moan about emission restrictions, blah blah blah. But I urge you to take this glimmer of good news - he's emphatically not a climate-change-denying crank, quite the reverse. I sleep a little sounder for knowing this, albeit just a little.
  • Options

alterego said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

The people buying tiny prawns at Asda are in for a shock when we can’t get them but get the whole langoustine catch.

Why do you think we don’t get it now?

• Options
    alterego said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

Yes, UK fishermen currently make more money selling to European markets than the domestic one.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:
    Indeed. Goods.

As one used to be able to say before Brexitism-ces.

Bless.
    This is delusional.

The US sees Brexit as a golden opportunity to wrest back from London a lot of the financial services business it has lost over the years and to make its own multi-service and investment banks even more dominant than they are already, as a result of the fact that there are no big European or British investment banking competitors left, other than Deutsche Bank - which is in deep shit - and HSBC - which is having its own profits and regulatory difficulties following the GFC.

Since at least the 1930’s it has been more or less impossible for any financial services firm to access the US market from outside. That will not change now.
    It will be more likely with a US FTA than without, not least because we will only give access here in return for what access we get there
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019

alterego said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Following the script

It won’t happen

Why do you think we don’t get it now?

The Spanish buy them because they love them and we don’t eat them unless we call them scampi. It was a joke....

We should obviously maintain something like the current fishing arrangements (but with a fig-leaf of a few more domestic licences kept for brits) but the politics won’t allow it. Don’t assume I’m a full fat no deal brexiteer from the user name.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Goods.

malcolmg as Emily Thornberry :)
    Malc always channels his inner Emily when discussing those who vote against leaving the UK.....which as we know, is slightly over half Scots who vote....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

Sadly compelling

Indeed. You should try other things. But it’s your decision. If you want to be saddened and exhausted by me, what can I do?

Ha sorry you’re turning this into one upmanship! I don’t mean any harm. Obviously I am an enemy, so can’t say anything right, but it is genuinely is tortuous to watch, and if I were a friend I’d ask you to chill out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    There was a quote earlier about Rees mogg being the most hated MP in the UK, he's probably second to Duncan Smith, very hard to like.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

Sadly compelling

Ha sorry you’re turning this into one upmanship! I don’t mean any harm. Obviously I am an enemy, so can’t say anything right, but it is genuinely is tortuous to watch, and if I were a friend I’d ask you to chill out.

You’re not an enemy. You are someone who posts anonymously on a message board who tries to wind me up from time to time in quite a clever, passive-aggressive kind of way. Please don’t consider yourself meaningful to me in anyway.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

Bless.

The point is that currently you can only access by setting up entities in the US. That is costly - in terms of capital, labour and regulation. What UK firms would love to have is the ability to provide services into the US from the UK on a cross-border basis ie without needing to establish a place of business in the US.

No way will the US allow this.
    Oh OK, I'm not being stupid. Good.

Even if the US was willing, that sort of arrangement would surely only be available on a quid pro quo basis. I hope that we'd be unwilling to allow US providers into the UK market on that sort of basis, as well. In particular, US banks have, in my limited experience, little to no concept of TCF.

Also financial services passporting from the EU has created a bunch of problems and I don't see that we need to add to those post-Brexit. Eg Alpha's bankruptcy, which suddenly left swathes of UK taxi drivers uninsured one morning. There was also a Lithuanian professional indemnity provider that turned out to be less than solvent; you may know the details of that one better than I do.

Point is, the last thing we need is our domestic market being swamped by a bunch of substandard providers coming in at low cost to try and eke out market share. I suspect the US feels the same way. Hence my assumption that this was never a realistic goal for the trade negotiations anyway.

And reading back it appears you never indicated it was, and I'm really arguing with HYUFD by proxy. Oh well.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

Sadly compelling

You’re not an enemy. You are someone who posts anonymously on a message board who tries to wind me up from time to time in quite a clever, passive-aggressive kind of way. Please don’t consider yourself meaningful to me in anyway.

As long as you’re not over 20 that comment was not that embarrassing 🤣

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

Sadly compelling

Nope, doesn’t work. Night Sam. See you again soon.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yes I gathered that

You love it, you slag!

Sadly compelling

Nope, doesn’t work. Night Sam. See you again soon.

So much for anonymity! 🤣
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

As one used to be able to say before Brexitism-ces.

Bless.
    This is delusional.

It will be more likely with a US FTA than without, not least because we will only give access here in return for what access we get there
    It will not happen. If you want to provide financial services to the US you have to set up in the US and be subject to US regulation. The US financial sector has huge lobbying power and there is no way it or the US authorities will allow UK firms to sell into their market on a cross-border basis.

And the US has already got access to our financial services sector. They own a big chunk of it. Or did you miss what happened to City firms post-Big Bang?

This discussion has been closed.