Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Labour isn’t working in Workington or pretty much any

Comments

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Amazing admission by Jon Lansman that Momentum are not interested in what people think.

They are a cancer that Labour MPs and members will have to expunge from their party by force.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Paisley and Renfrewshire South SNP HOLD

Turnout up

Huge increase in Maj

Ian Murray to stand alone? (Again).
    Could be an SNP clean sweep. That was 25/1 with Shadsy this morning, but I only put a quid on.
  • Options

Lab hold Canterbury

Not good, exit poll had that as an 88% Tory gain.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

Con gain Blackpool South

This is a routing of epic proportions.
    Blackpool South was nailed on after the fracking suspension.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    IanB2 said:

Canterbury Lab hold

Any numbers?
  • Options
    Jezza looks quite chipper striding into his count!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,583
    Tories hold Truro by 4,500. Not much swing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14001003
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ITV shade the Tories down another one to 365

SKY still insisting on 86 majority
  • Options
    Corbyn demob happy at his count.....
  • Options

Been on the funny fags with Jo?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660

This country desperately needs an independent press.

We cannot continue having a press that is totally batting for one side that will do whatever it takes to get one side elected.

Oh, you exaggerate. The Guardian is influential, certainly, but not that powerful.
    Well it is usually the only newspaper on view in the bbc and local council offices I used to go into
    That's probably because they take the perverse view that a newspaper ought to report news.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Actually not so. If they had attacked Corbyn before polls closed, then the story now would be one of betrayal from the right. It is critical that did not happen. Corbyn and the left had a free run. They had support. They failed. They were defeated. They have no-one to blame but themselves. There is no betrayal myth.
  • Options
    Liberal democrat cost Labour Truro.Falmouth

SEAT NUMBER 14 - liberal democrats DISBAND!
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Going dodgy for DUP no great loss
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Campbell is absolutely spot on why Labour lost.

It’s almost like he’s won an election for Labour before.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Andy_JS said:

Where's Sean T @Byronic.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    dr_spyn said:
    He would add much to the gaiety of the nation.
  • Options
    Turnout in Scotland so far 66.5% (+1.9)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

kyf_100 said:

tlg86 said:

One of the richest parts of the country is keen on Marxism.

As I argued in 2017, the people driving Corbynism are the children of the well-off middle classes. University educated but saddled in debt, living in "nice" places like Putney but renting four to a house with no hope of ever getting on the property ladder.

Corbynism was always a middle class youth rebellion about living standards not being equal to their parents.
    I find them nauseating, their sense of entitlement. People don't automatically have a right to the same standard of living as previous generations.
    What a strange thing to say. I can see that individuals might not be entitled to the same standard of living as one another, but I would have thought that over whole generations the merits would sort of even out and that social justice demanded parity between them. Perhaps you are not a parent?
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    The first of Yougov's MRP seems to be accurate in terms of seats with the exception of Scotland.

Conservatives look like they will have 360-363 seats, a majority of 68-74.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Corbyn inspecting the scales at the Islington count.
  • Options
    Fiona Hyslop (SNP MSP) saying that she has heard very positive things from Kincardine.
  • Options
    Rural South not quite so keen on Marxism:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1205311574443003905
  • Options

Lab hold Canterbury

My gut was right. Demograhics moving away from the Tories.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Lab hold Canterbury

Reminds me very much of the EU ref itself, where we saw huge swings initially to leave and then such huge swings to remain in London etc that we couldn't be sure of the result. Of course with this being an election not a referendum there's no doubt on the result, but could see a few more shock Lab/LD holds/gains.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Where's Sean T @Byronic.
    Unconscious I imagine.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Now...about that Centrist Phone bloke....and claims the Tory lead was only 2.8%.
  • Options

No, we are not Labour for a reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    speedy2 said:

The first of Yougov's MRP seems to be accurate in terms of seats with the exception of Scotland.

I said a few days ago that in 2017 the first one was a lot more accurate, just in case it happened again. It has done.
  • Options
    Nick Robinson wonderfully shoving the knife in to Corbo
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

tlg86 said:

As I argued in 2017, the people driving Corbynism are the children of the well-off middle classes. University educated but saddled in debt, living in "nice" places like Putney but renting four to a house with no hope of ever getting on the property ladder.

Corbynism was always a middle class youth rebellion about living standards not being equal to their parents.
    To an extent, though I'd say university educated and paid too little to get what previous generations took for granted in an alienating office job is no less working class than a plumber doing well for himself etc. It's easy to overemphasise cultural factors (an avocado costs pennies in the Tesco discount pile...) and forget the real practical facts of daily life. We shouldn't haveva view of class that's frozen since the interwar period...
    But always able to go back to mummy and and daddy. It is easy to be that kind of rebel.
    I feel a song coming on.

That just isn't the case. Far more familiar are the 'first to go tobuni' type, stuck in boring white collar jobs that aren't middle class anymore in any meaningful sense. Or people who work in precarious jobs like cafes and restaurants, despite getting Firsts etc. If it's a realignment it's at least about changes in what constitutes the working class today as a shift from working to middle.
  • Options
    It's quite possible to simultaneously believe Corbyn was the worst possible leader of the Labour party and also better than Boris Johnson (this is my position). This is one of those superficially plausible comments that falls apart under even modest scrutiny, in other words standard fare from Dan Hodges.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    speedy2 said:

MikeL said:

All the new Con MPs in North East Wales won't want boundary changes!

But Boris MUST push them through.

Will the old New boundaries map really be that better for the Conservatives?

But surely they could draw better borders in Scotland that will give them more than just 3 out of 59 seats with 25% of the vote ?
    You don't seem to understand how FPTP works.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 705
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    He would add much to the gaiety of the nation.
    He’ll say, “Bugger that.”
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

kyf_100 said:

tlg86 said:

I find them nauseating, their sense of entitlement. People don't automatically have a right to the same standard of living as previous generations.
    What a strange thing to say. I can see that individuals might not be entitled to the same standard of living as one another, but I would have thought that over whole generations the merits would sort of even out and that social justice demanded parity between them. Perhaps you are not a parent?
    I'm 39 so not that old. (I don't have children). My standard of living is a lot lower than my parents but I don't whinge about it. You have to look on the bright side of life and appreciate the things you have. My dad had owned about 3 properties by the time he was 35. I don't expect to ever be able to afford my own property.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271
    Stockton South looks like a con gain
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660

If only the LDs had not turned down Labour's proposals on an electoral pact, eh?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    edited December 2019
    WTF!?

Edit: I thought they meant the national majority not Uxbridge
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Jess Philips looking like Miranda Richardson in The Crying Game on Sky right now.

FEWMIN'.
  • Options

Nick Robinson wonderfully shoving the knife in to Corbo

Yes isn't it great when journalists have an opportunity to challenge politicians.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Where's Sean T @Byronic.
    ;liberal democrats to blame again for that tory hold

liberal democrats are tories. they refuse to stand down candidates when the only party that can beat tories is is labour.

jo swinson will get a knighthood from boris johnson.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jon Lansman is a deeply unimpressive figure. How come he’s become so influential?

Money

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/letting-the-hard-left-off-the-leash/
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

We cannot continue having a press that is totally batting for one side that will do whatever it takes to get one side elected.

Oh, you exaggerate. The Guardian is influential, certainly, but not that powerful.
    The press has made sexism, racism and xenophobia acceptable.

Fox News makes millions of dollars diving people but their is resistance. This country has no resistance. Our entire economic system is rigged for the haves.

Laura Kuennsburgs behaviour has been utterly disgraceful. The country is in a terrible state and its all David Camerons fault. The Tory Party destroyed communities in the 1980s for self-gain and have destroyed communities again in 2010s.

We live in a popularism era where facts DON'T matter. Boris Johnson has lied repeatedly with zero scrutiny.

The liberal democrats refusal to stand candidates down is costing seat by seat and ensuring we have Thaterites in westminster. We have absolute scumbags who care for themselves representing areas with 30% poverty. its utterly disgraceful

The press has made sexism, racism and xenophobia acceptable.

Fox News makes millions of dollars diving people but their is resistance. This country has no resistance. Our entire economic system is rigged for the haves.

Laura Kuennsburgs behaviour has been utterly disgraceful. The country is in a terrible state and its all David Camerons fault. The Tory Party destroyed communities in the 1980s for self-gain and have destroyed communities again in 2010s.

We live in a popularism era where facts DON'T matter. Boris Johnson has lied repeatedly with zero scrutiny.

The liberal democrats refusal to stand candidates down is costing seat by seat and ensuring we have Thaterites in westminster. We have absolute scumbags who care for themselves representing areas with 30% poverty. its utterly disgraceful
    You don't get to the heart of the matter. It is the refusal of the conservatives to stand all their candidates down which has caused the real damage.
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129
    Dadge said:

humbugger said:

Brom said:

Jess Phillips would be a terrible choice as leader, thinks she’s the centre of the story

Agreed. I would not wish to be derogatory about a lady but I'm afraid pouty shouty Jess is no nearer to PM material than I am.
    Jess is great, and loved by many. But it's probably correct to say she's not party-leader material. A bit like Corbyn wasn't, although they don't have many other similarities.
    What I don't understand is why she's loved by many. What has she actually accomplished, beyond having a Brummie accent and resolving local MP issues over benefits, housing and planning disputes?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jon Lansman is a deeply unimpressive figure. How come he’s become so influential?

Money

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/letting-the-hard-left-off-the-leash/
  • Options
    I was staggered for a moment to see that John Bercow was making favourable remarks about the Tories.

Then I realised it was Alan Duncan.

In fairness, that makes little difference.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

speedy2 said:

MikeL said:

All the new Con MPs in North East Wales won't want boundary changes!

But Boris MUST push them through.

Will the old New boundaries map really be that better for the Conservatives?

But surely they could draw better borders in Scotland that will give them more than just 3 out of 59 seats with 25% of the vote ?
    You don't seem to understand how FPTP works.
    I do very well.
    You can do a lot with gerrymandering.
  • Options
    Reports of big trouble for Ed M.
  • Options
    IDS holds on
  • Options

:o
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    IDS survives
  • Options

Or defiant?

• Options
    Well done HYUFD once again. IDS back
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    What a waste of time/resources Labour put into Chingford.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Yes the IDS!

HYUFD rules!!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

oh - where did I put that popcorn?
  • Options
    Floater said:

IDS survives

This and Boris' survival makes you wonder why they waste so much effort on these high profile fights, and seemingly forget about all the other seats where they get an absolute pasting.
  • Options

FFS.
  • Options
    Stockton South goes Blue
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 705
    Con hold Walsall North with a near 13% swing in their favour.
  • Options
    Faiza Shaheen's face!
  • Options
    edited December 2019

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Where's Sean T @Byronic.

liberal democrats are tories. they refuse to stand down candidates when the only party that can beat tories is is labour.

Remind me how many Labour candidates stood down when only a LD or Green could defeat the Tory?
  • Options

Now...about that Centrist Phone bloke....and claims the Tory lead was only 2.8%.

Who is that guy?

Is it another Dr.Eoin account?

RICHARD BURGON ON BBC - NOW!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Floater said:

IDS survives

This and Boris' survival makes you wonder why they waste so much effort on these high profile fights, and seemingly forget about all the other seats where they get an absolute pasting.
    Very hard to understand. We were told they had an MRP.
  • Options
    Artist said:

The bad guys lost. Don't put shit and dead rats through letterboxes of your opponents....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Just contemplate this.

Just 7 fewer Con seats in 2017 and Corbyn may well have been PM.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited December 2019
    deleted
  • Options
    HYUFD vs. hordes of momentum corbynistas... who will win? :o
  • Options
    Adjusted forecast now Tory 364, down from 368 at 10pm
  • Options
    Burgon vs Brillo on the BBC
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Was wondering. 5th leaviest seat in the country, although he does have a stupendous majority.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I think the exit poll had Gower as Tory.
  • Options
    Glory be,

When you think it cannot get worse than Lansman - up pops Richard Burgon with his usual vacuous nonsense.
  • Options
    Damn Labour held Gower
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    Seeing Stephen Kinnock re-elected, if this is 1983, perhaps Labour need to find their Kinnock?
  • Options
    Someone has taught Burgon the word analyse. Bless.
  • Options
    5,200 Tory majority in Stockton South
  • Options

Burgon vs Brillo on the BBC

That's not a fair fight....
  • Options
    Someone needs to invent a remote control that switches channels when Richard Burgon comes on the telly.

His only value is as a Lost Consonant as Liz Taylor would attest.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Was reading an article earlier, buried deep within was a little 'we may have annoyed the voters by overdoing it in this seat' nugget from a Labour activist.
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129

tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Where's Sean T @Byronic.

Lib Dem votes are not the property of Labour. We have minds of our own and there are reasons we do not vote Labour. You have only your own party and your leader to blame for this pathetic display.
  • Options
    ITV shades LDs up to 14
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    tlg86 said:

FFS.
    >< !
  • Options

Stockton South goes Blue

On the spot analysis. Labour dropped 4k votes, Tories up by 2k votes. The mega turnout in the polling stations I went to this evening pointed the way
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Artist said:

The entire ground game is a waste of time. GEs are won and lost at a national level.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    kinnock holds aberavon 11000 majority - 17k last time
  • Options
    Con is leading Labour. That’s unusually early in the night.

And Burgon is blaming the press for daring to report on Corbyn’s past...
  • Options
    Forgive my bluntness but Richard Burgon is still an absolute bivalve.
  • Options
    I'm sorry whoever is President of the liberal democrats should hang their head in shame that they've allowed NIGEL FARAGE to stand down candidates to improve tory chances and liberal democrats have HELPED boris johnson win seats he shouldn't be winning.

THe liberal democrats CHOSE to have an election yet they did everything in their power to get conservatives elected. They were asked REPEATEDLY STAND DOWN, STAND DOWN, STAND DOWN...they refused. what happens...the tories win seats they shouldnt be winning.

the liberal democrats need to join the tory party and disband. Their existence gave us david cameron, gave us a distrust in politicians and gave us Brexit. Jo Swinson has screwed over millions of people for her own vanity.
  • Options
    Burgon is now blaming the press. He takes no responsibility. None. Whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

speedy2 said:

I said a few days ago that in 2017 the first one was a lot more accurate, just in case it happened again. It has done.
    Yeap.
    And once again the polls in the second to last week were more accurate.

Also the second to last Mori was most accurate once more, including their Scottish regional poll.

And Yougov's Welsh Barometer.
This discussion has been closed.