Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s seat total might end up being smaller than Blair’s ma

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Wansbeck swing required over 12%
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,990

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

35/46 on the MRP !! :open_mouth:

Is the MRP in @FrancisUrquhart 's spreadsheet the original MRP or the final one? Seems like YouGov s**t the bed with this one.
    If it’s right that this is more about Corbyn than Brexit, we can expect to see differential swing against Corbynistas.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alliance 1000 ahead on North Down

Excellent news.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,047
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Oh dear, I'm in big trouble at work...
    Where is Wansbeck
    Geordie land
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Just switched on Channel 4. What a state.

Gentler politics personified.

Are they in mourning?
    Well the Conservatives have promised to close down the station.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Are they in mourning?
    Oh they’re positively venomous. In tears. It’s funny. Leftie comedians in outrage.

Pouring myself a drink and watching. Best fun in ages.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The SNP is the answer to the idea that it was Brexit alone that caused Labour to lose.

This is all about Corbyn, Milne and their cult.

What's the difference between now and 2017? Labour commitment to a second referendum.
    * Corbyn sat on the fence on Brexit at the key moment, tried to triangulate the issue, confused and annoyed everyone and could not lay a finger on the Tories.
    * The total catastrophic mishandling of antisemitism in the party .
    * Much of the 2019 manifesto lacked credibility, whereas the 2017 manifesto borrowed heavily from 1997.
    He didn't sit on the fence. He campaigned (well imo) for Remain in the referendum. According to the Ashcroft poll 64% of Labour supporters voted Remain, compared to 68% of LDs it ain't bad. Especially considering polls under Miliband had 50% of Labour voters in favour of Brexit (at the time Tom Watson was campaigning forvan EU ref let's remember). The data to pin it on Corbyn isn't there, he just tried to get the party to accept the referendum was lost after it was lost.

Antisemitism scandal was arguably worse in 2017, with Ken and the mural etc. For all the talk, Labour has beefed up it's disciplinary response.

Some of 2019 was easily ridiculed, sure. But the main thrust, of patching up disintegrating public realm through taxation of the wealthy, public ownership of key utilities etc., the things that Corbyn is keen on and which wouldn't have been there under any other potential leader, are popular.

It'll never be settled obviously. Brexit is the defining fact of probably the next few decades so there's no use imagining what the Corbyn moment could have been without such a relentless focus on it.
    He was 'neutral' on Brexit. That is a fence fully inserted.

You really need to wake up. Corbyn was utterly toxic and tone deaf beyond his core vote. He screwed up by inflating a massive bubble and inviting you all to live in it.
    I find this bizarre, having sat on a polling station all day where people kept wanting to talk about Brexit, how they'd already voted for Brexit, etc. Nobody is turning up going 'what we want is PFI and less public ownership'. It isn't an accident that the Tory campaign can be reduced to the word 'Brexit'.

Imo the real bubble is those who let the shock of 2016 wear off, started seeing a regretful former Brexiteer in every corner, and wanted tongamvle the house on a second referendum.
    This was Corbyn's election. He was leader. He wrote the manifesto. He set strategy. This is his result. He needs to take responsibility, go and take the bubble with him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Is the MRP in @FrancisUrquhart 's spreadsheet the original MRP or the final one? Seems like YouGov s**t the bed with this one.
    It is the one with the 28 seat majority.

I am tempted to load in the first one.
    The first one seems more accurate. Perhaps because that is when postal votes went in.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

One of the few people in the HoC I dislike more than Chote.
    He's a crook. Get gone.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I'm going to bed....

To be honest....gulp...not a terrible result. BJ no longer being held to ransom by the loons. And there will be a blood letting in Labour which hopefully will get rid of Corbyn and his acolytes.....
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709

Ian Lavery in recount !!!

Who requested it?
  • Options
    Northern Ireland Update

Breaking News!

Stephen Farry Has Won North Down By 2000 Votes approx.

Colum Eastwood expected to win Foyle.
  • Options

The left-leaning contributor on BBC is now blaming everything on Corbyn. The Labour Civil War gets underway...

“Corbynism has been tested to destruction”
  • Options
    Murdo Fraser, Con MSP, blaming SCon losses on wrong distribution of votes. They have been putting on votes in the Central Belt where they are largely useless.

Expect *lots* of SCon second places. This might be the big strategic change from UK GE 2019: it’ll be all SNP vs CON from now on.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Is it that bad?
  • Options

Northern Ireland Update

Breaking News!

Which parties?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Where is Wansbeck
    So, a colleague recently moved to London from there. Was very keen on the Lib Dems so I suggested registering in SE London and voting for them as, even if they probably wouldn't win, they might be in range next time. Anyway, that was three weeks ago and it turned out that he dislikes the Tories a lot more than liking the Lib Dems. :|
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Foxy said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

The first one seems more accurate. Perhaps because that is when postal votes went in.
    There was a chart in the report that showed a massive dip on the day they did the MRP for the Tories. It probably was photo-gate. I think they lost like 20 seats from the previous day's prediction.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Is it that bad?
    Well Boris’s dad is on it. Audience screaming. 🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2019

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Turnout is currently running -2.7% against 2017.

BUT BUT BUT...all those tweets about massive queues...
    It was always blindingly obvious that people prefer to walk to the polling station in daylight.
    And I noted when I popped out last night, its Christmas Party season...It was heaving with people and clearly they will have voted in the morning (if they voted).
    FPT

Can I be COMPLETELY BLOODY CHEEKY and suggest that when a result gets filled in on the WonderSheet, then the Est Time column gets overwritten by actual time? Or that a spare column gets used as a binary flag, set to 1 when a result come in? Since the est times are well off in some cases, it would be nice to be able to sort the sheet to see the actual declarations at a glance at the top, rather than have to scroll well down to see the ones that came in early.

Love the sheet btw, many thanks for it!
    Oh god, errhh, hmmm, I don't know...

I will see...we are expecting a load of results soon and I need to check things don't blow up.

Running this live thing is more stressful than waiting for the exit poll !!!!
    Yeah to be fair this might be less useful once there have been more than a handful of seats in!!

A way you could do this in the sheet without (I presume) needing to change your Python script would be

U1: "Declaration"
    U2: =if(G2="","Pending","In")
    With U2 selected, double click the handle at the bottom right of the cell to autofill it down column U.

Viewers can go to column U and click "Sort A-Z"

Then confirmed results appear at the top of the sheet, with the rest staying in expected declaration order. Works on my copy of your sheet anyway!

Totally understood if you can't be arsed, you've done more than enough already!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Where is Wansbeck
    So, a colleague recently moved to London from there. Was very keen on the Lib Dems so I suggested registering in SE London and voting for them as, even if they probably wouldn't win, they might be in range next time. Anyway, that was three weeks ago and it turned out that he dislikes the Tories a lot more than liking the Lib Dems. :|
    PB Tories will forever be in your debt if the Tories take it by a vote. :p
  • Options
    Looks like Lavery's battlebus tour of the North East might not have been that successful.
  • Options

Murdo Fraser, Con MSP, blaming SCon losses on wrong distribution of votes. They have been putting on votes in the Central Belt where they are largely useless.

Expect *lots* of SCon second places. This might be the big strategic change from UK GE 2019: it’ll be all SNP vs CON from now on.

Yeah, but will they hold BRS so I don't lose £100?!
  • Options

Looks like there is only one Unionist party now.
  • Options
    Labour concede Bishop Auckland.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,960
    edited December 2019

Might see the return of Ed Miliband.

Tipped at 200/1 by me.

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon
    Yes please

Ed Miliband 350.55 £31.00 £10,836.00

Although he is 430 now
  • Options

Labour concede Bishop Auckland.

Yup. Looked good.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Looks like Lavery's battlebus tour of the North East might not have been that successful.

Rather depends on your point of view....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    Rumours of a looming recount for Lavery in Wansbeck
  • Options
    Murdo Fraser, Con MSP: SLab vote has collapsed. Some has come to the Conservatives, but a lot has gone to the SNP.”
  • Options
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Where is Wansbeck
    I mean, I did ask him what he cared about more, but I did also point out that if Wansbeck fell it would be a Tory landslide anyway. What I hadn't anticipated was the Lib Dem collapse in most of London.
  • Options

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

The problem for YouGov is they did the MRP at the height of "photo-gate" and it showed a massive drop in Tory %. But we saw by the time GE, that polling showed no dip in Tory %. If they had taken the MRP 2 days before they would have had a much bigger majority for the Tories.
    I would just like to say how much I enjoyed your gifs during your hourly breakdowns but the feeling is good now.

Do you have any happy ones ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

The left-leaning contributor on BBC is now blaming everything on Corbyn. The Labour Civil War gets underway...

“Corbynism has been tested to destruction”
    appeals to few not the many.
  • Options

Might see the return of Ed Miliband.

The Miliband Awakens
    The Last Miliband
    The Rise of Miliband
  • Options
    So.

How many interviews is A Neil going to get in the next 5 years with the government then?

Career over?
  • Options

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

The problem for YouGov is they did the MRP at the height of "photo-gate" and it showed a massive drop in Tory %. But we saw by the time GE, that polling showed no dip in Tory %. If they had taken the MRP 2 days before they would have had a much bigger majority for the Tories.
    I would just like to say how much I enjoyed your gifs during your hourly breakdowns but the feeling is good now.

Did you see his last zen one? Very appropriate. :D
  • Options
    The remainers trying to throw Corbyn under the bus already.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    In five years' time, Labour have to fight those Midland and Northern leave-y seats *without BXP to split the eurosceptic vote*
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Getting tired, going to bed for a few hours.

Ideally I would like to see some more Tory gains, to see whether or not the swing to the Tories lines up with the exit poll. The victory may not be as dramatic as currently projected (although we must also factor in the possibility that the SCons aren't as badly beaten as the scanty Scottish data suggests.) Anyway, whether I'm awake or asleep things will be the same in the morning, and I have work tomorrow!
  • Options

Both need to be thrown under the bus
  • Options
    I remember that something like 80% of recounts are usually to do with candidates trying to save their deposit.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Is it that bad?
    Well Boris’s dad is on it. Audience screaming. 🤣🤣🤣
    I have to be up at half six...but I need to see this.
  • Options
    What's the working definition of "landslide"? If this ends up like the exit poll is it a "landslide" victory?
  • Options

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

If it’s right that this is more about Corbyn than Brexit, we can expect to see differential swing against Corbynistas.
    56% of Wansbeck voters voted Leave in 2016... we'll see swings broadly correlated with the 2016 vote imo, not which faction a candidate is from. Only the very geeky like you'll find on this site know or care.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,136
    Wansbeck is target 143 for the Tories......
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Northern Ireland Update

Breaking News!

Which parties?
    Stephen Farry is from the Alliance Party.

Colum Eastwood is the leader of the SDLP​.
  • Options

Corbyn threw himself and the party under the bus.
  • Options

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

• Options
    NeilVW said:

Ian Lavery in recount !!!

Who requested it?
    Not sure
  • Options

What's the working definition of "landslide"? If this ends up like the exit poll is it a "landslide" victory?

100 plus sized majority
  • Options
    Redcar gone to the Tories.
  • Options
    Will any pundit tonight talk about the West-East divide?
  • Options
    Ian lavery is good at getting redundancy pay offs if the opportunity arises
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Curtice advises that some results are showing slightly smaller Lab to Con swings than the exit poll suggested so the Tory majority may be smaller than 86.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Looks like there is only one Unionist party now.
    Correct. And it’s the wrong one! Only Labour could have saved the Union, and they are well and truly stuffed.

• Options

Lansmann on ITV is just losing Labour even more votes !!!! Some rich southern bloke basically telling those that didn't vote Labour they were wrong.

I think its a bit late for it to make a difference, and in five years no one will remember.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Where is Wansbeck
    I mean, I did ask him what he cared about more, but I did also point out that if Wansbeck fell it would be a Tory landslide anyway. What I hadn't anticipated was the Lib Dem collapse in most of London.
    Do you have numbers on the latter?
  • Options

Wow,. That was target 136 on their list.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Northern Ireland Update

Breaking News!

Which parties?
    Stephen Farry is from the Alliance Party.

Colum Eastwood is the leader of the SDLP​.
    Thanks!

Nice to see Mps from both of these.
  • Options

9,500 majority overturned.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298

llef said:

hooray - i think ben lake is a good mp for ceredigion
    It looks as though you were right!

The LibDems have slipped to 4th in Ceredigion, with the Tories second.
    if so, that could be good for Plaid in 2024, as (some) labour and libdems vote plaid to stop the tories.
  • Options
    First Scottish declaration imminent: Rutherglen. (SLab defence)
  • Options
    RobD said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Did you see his last zen one? Very appropriate. :D
    No
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    First test of Midlands in Nuneaton.
  • Options
    Nuneaton up!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961

Blame game is Corbyn Vs Remain
  • Options
    Isn't Owen jones on the telly by now usually?
  • Options
    LOL! at Nuneaton.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

In five years' time, Labour have to fight those Midland and Northern leave-y seats *without BXP to split the eurosceptic vote*

Yes and no. Could be another Farage vehicle aimed at that vote.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SNP success blows Remain argument out of the water.
  • Options

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Top marks - thank you
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Nuneaton poor result for LAB 8% swing????
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Boris Johnson is now going to have a plethora of seats representing ex-industrial and deprived constituencies. Unless he can offer these new places concrete things fairly quickly, his new populist coalition won't last.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,047
    Labour conceding Redcar!
  • Options
    Looks like the Alliance have taken North Down.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Nuneaton Swing 9.4%
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    LOL +9.4% Nuneaton looking dodgy for LAB in Coventry
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Nuneaton Swing 9.4%

Not too bad.
  • Options
    This is a victory for Johnson more than anything....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Ave_it said:

Nuneaton poor result for LAB 8% swing????

Look at that swing - they are utterly fucked and rightly so
  • Options

The third book in the Tim Shipman trilogy is going to be a belter.

Has Cummings blogged yet?

There has been a lot of shade thrown at Cummings.

His 30,000 word response is going to be bottle-of-wine hilarious.
  • Options
    RobD said:

9,500 majority overturned.
    Wow. One bet iIve won!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    The BBC is looking slow once again
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

A mere 10k majority. Bloody hell.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yeah, what was the point of that news summary??
  • Options
    I think the Kiwi Shitsters rate is probably going to go up 10x.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Isn't Owen jones on the telly by now usually?

Please, please make it so
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

SNP success blows Remain argument out of the water.
    Not really, Scotland has another referendum coming
  • Options
    So many stand ups on Channel 4, I have no idea why.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The SNP is the answer to the idea that it was Brexit alone that caused Labour to lose.

This is all about Corbyn, Milne and their cult.

What's the difference between now and 2017? Labour commitment to a second referendum.
    * Corbyn sat on the fence on Brexit at the key moment, tried to triangulate the issue, confused and annoyed everyone and could not lay a finger on the Tories.
    * The total catastrophic mishandling of antisemitism in the party .
    * Much of the 2019 manifesto lacked credibility, whereas the 2017 manifesto borrowed heavily from 1997.
    He didn't sit on the fence. He campaigned (well imo) for Remain in the referendum. According to the Ashcroft poll 64% of Labour supporters voted Remain, compared to 68% of LDs it ain't bad. Especially considering polls under Miliband had 50% of Labour voters in favour of Brexit (at the time Tom Watson was campaigning forvan EU ref let's remember). The data to pin it on Corbyn isn't there, he just tried to get the party to accept the referendum was lost after

SNIP FOR SPACEt.
    He was 'neutral' on Brexit. That is a fence fully inserted.

You really need to wake up. Corbyn was utterly toxic and tone deaf beyond his core vote. He screwed up by inflating a massive bubble and inviting you all to live in it.
    I find this bizarre, having sat on a polling station all day where people kept wanting to talk about Brexit, how they'd already voted for Brexit, etc. Nobody is turning up going 'what we want is PFI and less public ownership'. It isn't an accident that the Tory campaign can be reduced to the word 'Brexit'.

Imo the real bubble is those who let the shock of 2016 wear off, started seeing a regretful former Brexiteer in every corner, and wanted tongamvle the house on a second referendum.
    This was Corbyn's election. He was leader. He wrote the manifesto. He set strategy. This is his result. He needs to take responsibility, go and take the bubble with him.
    2017 and 2019 were Corbyn's elections. The big difference between them being, as I said, a commitment to a second referendum. The prospect of having to go through another referendum is a put off for all but those few who have never got over 2016.
  • Options
    Well this election has certainly changed me.
    I never watch the BBC but the thought of bercow has forced me over
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,136

Nuneaton up!

Swing 9.4%
  • Options

Northern Ireland Update

Breaking News!

That Foyle result is important: it increases by one the number of MPs needed for a majority
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

RobD said:

Wow, how far down the list are the Tories going?!

Jeremy Vine's infographic suggested that Walsall South was the safest Labour seat that would fall tonight, based on the exit poll.
    Disappointingly he did call Bury South for Labour hold - contrary to both iterations of the MRP. But what I expected.

Bury N staying Labour too.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Thank god...I might explode otherwise trying to keep up :-)
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Yeah, what was the point of that news summary??
    Huw Edwards loo break.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709
    9.4% swing in Nuneaton!
  • Options
    Bucket head Vs Binface
This discussion has been closed.