Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where did it go wrong for the Lib Dems?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,716
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where did it go wrong for the Lib Dems?

Jo Swinson confidently asserted at the start of this month that her ambition from the election was to become prime minister. At the time, it sounded exuberantly audacious; in retrospect, it sounds absurd with obvious echoes of David Steel exhorting his followers to go back to their constituencies and prepare for government. Steel ended up after the 1983 election with 23 seats; Swinson, if the YouGov MRP poll has some predictive value, will finish with fewer still.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,389
    Indeed , not seen any Lib Dem "Winning here" billboards .. sounds about right.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,971
    We’ll see.
    Certainly there will be voters newly repulsed by both Labour and the Tories whomare not going back, even if that number is smaller than it might have been.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited November 2019
    I think the strategy was kind of exploded when Boris came back with a deal. That cut away the whole "only party not offering immediate economic armageddon" position, which would otherwise have attracted quite a few ex-Tories and potentially given them enough support to say, "realignment is happening". It also made the "revoke" line much less tenable, because Brexit is looking like less of an instant catastrophe.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Revoke
  • Options
    No one know what life will be like after Brexit, we have the doom-mongers of course, but it may not be like that, we just don't know.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    The Libdems won't grow as a party until they learn that the party they have to defeat first is Labour and then Conservatives.
    They have had two opportunities (2015 and 2019) and flunked them both. The utter stupidity of pacts and advocating tactical voting kills them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,894
    edited November 2019

My poster count is 7 "Winning Here" diamonds on the A6 in Harborough, 1 Lab board in Leicester South. None for any other party.
    FPTP has always been tough on third parties but LDs are looking to double vote share and gain many near misses to build on for next time.
    To state the obvious though, we will not know how successful Swinsons strategy has been for another 2 weeks. It is a bit premature to do a post mortem while the patient is still active.
    All the campaigns have been pretty pisspoor. Probably the BXP has been the most ineffective, but considering how long the parties had to prepare they have all been dire.
    Revoke was a not unreasonable response to the No Deal threat in September, but should have reverted to a #peoplesvote on the proposed Deal. It would have been interesting to see what NI thought of it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

My poster count is 7 "Winning Here" diamonds on the A6 in Harborough, 1 Lab board in Leicester South. None for any other party.
    FPTP has always been tough on third parties but LDs are looking to double vote share and gain many near misses to build on for next time.
    To state the obvious though, we will not know how successful Swinsons strategy has been for another 2 weeks. It is a bit premature to do a post mortem while the patient is still active.
    All the campaigns have been pretty pisspoor. Probably the BXP has been the most ineffective, but considering how long the parties had to prepare they have all been dire.
    Revoke was a not unreasonable response to the No Deal threat in September, but should have reverted to a #peoplesvote on the proposed Deal. It would have been interesting to see what NI thought of it.
    Perhaps "Winning here" is selected only for seats they are going to win. ;). In Horsham its something like "There is another way", and I think in Surrey I saw, "working for you"
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Too early for this. My hunch is they will do better than the polls due to a reasonable tactical vote.

Swinson made a few errors due to inexperience, but was poorly positioned compared to others to attract switching Labour voters. She is the ghost of coalition.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214

I think the strategy was kind of exploded when Boris came back with a deal. That cut away the whole "only party not offering immediate economic armageddon" position, which would otherwise have attracted quite a few ex-Tories and potentially given them enough support to say, "realignment is happening". It also made the "revoke" line much less tenable, because Brexit is looking like less of an instant catastrophe.

Indeed. I’d also be interested to see if polls are still showing Leave/Remain to be a much stronger identity than party affiliation. I sense that the moment an election is called, people flock back to Labour.
  • Options
    philiph said:

The Libdems won't grow as a party until they learn that the party they have to defeat first is Labour and then Conservatives.
    They have had two opportunities (2015 and 2019) and flunked them both. The utter stupidity of pacts and advocating tactical voting kills them.

I don't think that true. Replacing the Tories in the suburbs and market towns of Remania looks the best targets for seats. Look where LD council seats are.
    Replacing the inner city and old coalfield bastions of Labour is a tall order.Lab looks set to retain 80-90% even with a Marxist manifesto and led by Wolfie Smith's less capable brother.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Perhaps "Winning here" is selected only for seats they are going to win. ;). In Horsham its something like "There is another way", and I think in Surrey I saw, "working for you"
    Lots of diamonds in Horsham., including the villages. The most since 2010.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

I was driving thro main A 24 route north towards Dorking
  • Options
    Foxy said:

philiph said:

I don't think that true. Replacing the Tories in the suburbs and market towns of Remania looks the best targets for seats. Look where LD council seats are.
    Replacing the inner city and old coalfield bastions of Labour is a tall order.Lab looks set to retain 80-90% even with a Marxist manifesto and led by Wolfie Smith's less capable brother.
    The Tories underbelly is soft. In the right year, there will be rich pickings. History tells us that when Labour do well, so do the Lib Dem’s.
  • Options
    philiph said:

I remember when support for the SNP was in the low teens and support for independence was sub-10%. We did not become the largest party in the country by forming pacts with our opponents. Nor by encouraging our supporters to cast their votes for other parties.

These tactical voting websites are largely a Lib Dem ruse. But they are hugely counterproductive.
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, Harborough is not a target seat, and in Rutland and Melton "Winning Here" diamonds are freely available. The 7 I saw were mostly in Oadby, which has a well run LD council, and is an upmarket Leicester suburb.
    Window and garden election posters are much rarer than previous years everywhere. An expression of our less tolerant times, IMO.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

I was driving thro main A 24 route north towards Dorking
    I drove diagonally In the back roads from Redhill to Horsham through the villages and was struck by how many diamonds there were.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

philiph said:

The Tories underbelly is soft. In the right year, there will be rich pickings. History tells us that when Labour do well, so do the Lib Dem’s.
    A parasitical relationship no less.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

philiph said:

A parasitical relationship no less.
    No, both benefiting from strong anti-Tory sentiment, which when organised and channelled correctly is a powerful force.

The next election could be rather fun.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,148
    Go wrong? I was reading only yesterday that in some constituencies the Lib Dems had leapt from a distant third place and pushed one of the other parties out of contention.
  • Options

philiph said:

I remember when support for the SNP was in the low teens and support for independence was sub-10%. We did not become the largest party in the country by forming pacts with our opponents. Nor by encouraging our supporters to cast their votes for other parties.
    These tactical voting websites are largely a Lib Dem ruse. But they are hugely counterproductive.
    The LD propensity for cross party working, consensus, tactical voting and pacts is not a mistake, it fits with a world view of tolerance. We favour proportional representation and a more continental style system of government rather than the duality of established Westminster government
    I think Scotland is reshaping to have a single Unionist party and a single Nationalist one, but south of the border that dynamic does not apply.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

philiph said:

And therein lies the issue.
    As a left of centre party I agree there is a soft right area where gains can be made. Those that you mention are areas where labour has been replaced. Defeat labour first.
    To gain a significant number of seats they need to come from ex labour areas.
    We are talking about Conservative gains in Midlands. The Libdems should be clutching those from Labour, or at least ensuring that they are replacing labour as second choice.
    The pool of seats available for a leftist party is the pool of seats held by left.
  • Options
    If, as seems likely, Boris is returned with a majority and agrees the Withdrawal Agreement quickly, I expect the Tories to get a bounce in the opinion polls.
    However a year later I expect them to be much more unpopular and to lose the following election badly, because the Brexit process will not be easy, popular or kind to the country.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited November 2019
    Jonathan said:

Too early for this. My hunch is they will do better than the polls due to a reasonable tactical vote.

Swinson made a few errors due to inexperience, but was poorly positioned compared to others to attract switching Labour voters. She is the ghost of coalition.

In Scotland, where she is better-known, she has clearly positioned herself as, and is widely perceived as, a politician of the right. Centre-right, yes; but still of the right. Which in its turn is entirely due to the inescapable fact that in order to be an MP at all she had to plead to the wealthy residents of the leafy suburbs north of Glasgow.

She is indelibly tarnished by her strong association with profoundly discredited former politicians like David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Danny Alexander.

Labour voters regard her with more disdain than they do proper Tories. At least with proper Tories you know the nature of the beast.
  • Options
    It isn't just Jo Swinson there is another problem on that front sheet. It is the word "demand" which is so ingrained in the English mentality and has been since the 13th century. You can ask people to do things and it is amazing what they will do. Once you "demand" that they do something internally they tell you to f**k off. Lib Dems DEMAND Better reads subliminally that Lib Dems DEMAND that you vote for them. Lib Dems want better; Lib Dems ask for better. What a mistake !
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    The only way to avoid a Tory majority and get a second referendum is for the LibDem vote to collapse in Tory/Lab marginals. The Tories had hoped that the Remain vote would be split so they could come through the middle. As a LibDem I'm glad our vote has collapsed in our non-target seats. I just hope it is well up in our target seats. The fact that our national share is down is fine.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

No, Harborough is not a target seat, and in Rutland and Melton "Winning Here" diamonds are freely available. The 7 I saw were mostly in Oadby, which has a well run LD council, and is an upmarket Leicester suburb.
    Window and garden election posters are much rarer than previous years everywhere. An expression of our less tolerant times, IMO.
    You should see Barnes. A sea of orange.
  • Options

If, as seems likely, Boris is returned with a majority and agrees the Withdrawal Agreement quickly, I expect the Tories to get a bounce in the opinion polls.
    However a year later I expect them to be much more unpopular and to lose the following election badly, because the Brexit process will not be easy, popular or kind to the country.

Yes, that is my expectation too. In particular there will be a backlash in Northern Leave towns when a Tory Brexit turns into ashes in their mouths. Ironically, Southern Remania will be fine, for the same reason that it was fine before, its economy is much better suited to the modern world.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Chris said:

Go wrong? I was reading only yesterday that in some constituencies the Lib Dems had leapt from a distant third place and pushed one of the other parties out of contention.

That waasn't a letter from our estemed host on yellow paper was it ?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Perhaps the LibDems need to split into two parties. SDP and Liberals, perhaps....

There’s an SDP candidate in Tooting - didn’t realise they still existed!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

philiph said:

The LD propensity for cross party working, consensus, tactical voting and pacts is not a mistake, it fits with a world view of tolerance. We favour proportional representation and a more continental style system of government rather than the duality of established Westminster government
    I think Scotland is reshaping to have a single Unionist party and a single Nationalist one, but south of the border that dynamic does not apply.
    As a Scandinavian - I am a Nordic citizen - and an active trade-unionist, you do not need to persuade me of the merits of discussion, mutual respect, diplomacy, engagement, cooperation, consultation, teamwork, self-sacrifice, cross-party working, consensus and tolerance. I live and breathe in that milieu.

However, you are putting the cart before the horse. The Nordics did not get to where they are today by cooperating with deeply conservative forces within their countries, but quite the opposite: by robustly and consistently opposing them.

The Lib Dems are too much like kittens rolling over on their backs wanting everybody to like them and tickle their tummies. They need to be more like Swedish tigers, or Scottish lions.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, that is my expectation too. In particular there will be a backlash in Northern Leave towns when a Tory Brexit turns into ashes in their mouths. Ironically, Southern Remania will be fine, for the same reason that it was fine before, its economy is much better suited to the modern world.
    If these towns do elect Tory MPs at least some of them will be from local government and not the Cameroon PPE graduates. The Northern Powerhouse will need to be transformed from cliche to real work for real people. James Airey has already had one switcher say to him that when he is elected he will need to work his bollocks off, all day, every day - he didn't need telling.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yet things are less tolerant in the US, too, yet garden posters are almost the norm, with Dem and Rep posters side by side (and much more easily removable than our mostly indoor posters) on most residential streets without an apparent problems.
  • Options

Foxy said:

philiph said:

As a Scandinavian - I am a Nordic citizen - and an active trade-unionist, you do not need to persuade me of the merits of discussion, mutual respect, diplomacy, engagement, cooperation, consultation, teamwork, self-sacrifice, cross-party working, consensus and tolerance. I live and breathe in that milieu.

However, you are putting the cart before the horse. The Nordics did not get to where they are today by cooperating with deeply conservative forces within their countries, but quite the opposite: by robustly and consistently opposing them.

The Lib Dems are too much like kittens rolling over on their backs wanting everybody to like them and tickle their tummies. They need to be more like Swedish tigers, or Scottish lions.
    Jo isn't kittenish!
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You should see Barnes. A sea of orange.
    Glad to hear it. There aren't really any target seats for any party in Leics, with Loughborough the onlyone to change in recent years. General elections are rather perfunctory here as a result.
  • Options
    - “... found 35% support for Revoke... Even 17% of Tory voters back it, though 30% of Lib Dems don’t.”

Sub-samples?!

In a PB header?!

Ooh... the horror!!
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

The only way to avoid a Tory majority and get a second referendum is for the LibDem vote to collapse in Tory/Lab marginals. The Tories had hoped that the Remain vote would be split so they could come through the middle. As a LibDem I'm glad our vote has collapsed in our non-target seats. I just hope it is well up in our target seats. The fact that our national share is down is fine.

Like the Tory national vote share benefitting from Brexit candidates standing down, but only in seats the Tories already hold, not seats they need to win.

I think any hopes that the MRP is wrong would have to concern factors like those.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

When Swinson got high on her own supply. Moving to revoke was stupid. Some of us said so at the time.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

That's fair. They've been reduced to wailing about the prospect of No Deal at the end of next year, but most voters won't be listening - because, on this issue, Boris Johnson looks like the pragmatist and Jo Swinson the extremist. For that's precisely what they are.

Almost everybody insisted that Johnson was not going to get the EU27 to renegotiate, but they did and he came back with a replacement Deal. When he couldn't find a way to force the Deal through Parliament - and however badly or otherwise people think he behaved through the whole prorogation episode - when push came to shove he threw the "do or die" pledge in the bin and asked for the A50 extension, then took his platform to the country. An awful lot of voters will now have confidence in his ability to sort out the future relationship next year, and even amongst those who don't many will believe that he'll simply renege on his promises again and ask to extend the transition period by another year or two to get the talks finished.

Johnson has armed himself with the No Deal stick in theory, but in practice he keeps it behind his back. His position is all about balance, compromise, triangulation, fudge - doing his best to keep his voter coalition together and, by extension, prolong his grip on power. In this respect he's just like Theresa May - except that she strove to unite the wings of the Tory Party, which was impossible because the hard ideologues on both sides would never give in, whereas Johnson united his party by the simple expedient of getting rid of one of the sets of ideologues, and has concentrated on building support in the country instead. We won't know if this approach has paid dividends until we have the election result, of course, but it is at least possible that this might work.

Swinson's message is, on the other hand, put crudely, bollocks to Brexit (and fuck the 52%.) Revocation might be an exciting position for the sort of very passionate Remainers who keep turning up to Stop Brexit rallies, but for the cooler sort of pro-EU voter they're just left wondering how crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women is meant to help to stitch the country back together, or even respect democracy. They wonder what's wrong with having that second referendum, which every other left-of-centre party is offering. In particular, those who dislike Corbyn but are more afraid of Brexit are thereby encouraged to swallow their doubts and vote Labour instead.
  • Options
    Swinson came across a little too partisan, a little too delighted that Brexit was failing and that her party was off the mortuary slab.

It’s a subtle point, no doubt she should be pleased, but it it’s important not to look too pleased. She gave the impression that her views on Brexit were primarily around tactical party advantage, not a principled view. They looked a bit too excited by everyone else’s misery.

Her disdain for Labour is obvious, but took that a bit far. When you are trying to attract people who had voted for someone else you should appear sympathetic to where they had come from. Blair was excellent at that. Swinson really got that wrong. Not very welcoming,
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

When Swinson got high on her own supply. Moving to revoke was stupid. Some of us said so at the time.

I found it interesting that my local Lib Dem leaflet was still promising to "let the people decide." Obviously that would have been more defensible than revoking a decision made by the people.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

philiph said:

Jo isn't kittenish!
    Her party is. The Lib Dems are sycophants, pleading with folk to “lend” them a vote. You should stand a little straighter, a little taller. Make your case. Make a bold case. Then stand or fall.

You’re problem is that you are too afraid of the “or fall” bit. Fear never made a winner.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2019

- “... found 35% support for Revoke... Even 17% of Tory voters back it, though 30% of Lib Dems don’t.”

Sub-samples?!

In a PB header?!

Ooh... the horror!!

The extent to which polling sub-samples are valid is in direct proportion to how much they support the point your are trying to make
  • Options

Sub-samples?!

In a PB header?!

Ooh... the horror!!

The extent to which polling sub-samples are valid is in direct proportion to how much they support the point your are trying to make
    The irony ...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited November 2019
    Jonathan said:

The Tories' underbelly is soft. In the right year, there will be rich pickings.

A year where Corbyn is Labour's offer is not that year.
    A year where unilaterally revoking the will of 17.4m people is their only policy to cut through is not that year.
    A year where the leader is "Prime Miniser" Jo Swinson is not that year.
    Yes, there are many Tory voters telling the party they are on a Final Written Warning. But they will still vote for it - this time.
    Its also worth mentioning that the LibDem brand - such as it currently is - was greatly watered down by allowing in a selection of ex Conservative and Labour MPs who were there because they felt that their own party had left them. Not because they had become natural LibDems. I'm in a seat where longstanding LibDems are not happy to have a candidate who they see with a track record of voting to implement austerity - and all the rest of the Tory offer apart from Brexit. And even that Brexit view is as a Johnny come lately convert.
    A party that is home to Chuka Umunna, Angela Smith, Phillip Lee and Antoinette Sandbach risks not representing anything other than the sort of naked opportunism the voters have shown they despise in their political class. And so it has proven.

• Options

Sub-samples?!

In a PB header?!

Ooh... the horror!!

Much the same could be said of which set of elections one uses to show who is the challenger in a seat....
  • Options

Sub-samples?!

In a PB header?!

Ooh... the horror!!

Polling sub-samples, over many years lacking regular full-scale pollls, clearly, decisively, and (in retrospect) accurately charted the decline of the once all-powerful Scottish Labour Party, and the rise of the initially weak Scottish National Party.

But I cannot recall their validity receiving much support at the time on your blog.
  • Options

Sub-samples?!

In a PB header?!

Ooh... the horror!!

Much the same could be said of which set of elections one uses to show who is the challenger in a seat....
    Genuine LOL. Thanks! I needed that.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, disdain for Corbyn is something Swinson got exactly right.

F1: qualifying at 1pm today.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,057
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Conservative posters pretty much disappeared in the 1990s and haven't returned, even when they started winning elections again. The only place you see them now is in the occasional field.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    A really good piece David.

I can't really disagree with it. As a LibDem I've found myself supporting a lot of Labour policies on an intellectual and pragmatic level and I know I'm not alone. The cry I hear a LOT is 'what do the LD's stand for?' Everyone knows the Brexit policy but, frankly, not everyone is interested in Brexit. In fact most people aren't. I did suggest on here in the run up to the election that this would be the case. The only people really fired up by Brexit are the Far Right. It has ever been thus. Most people have other (far more important) things to worry about.

I've desperately tried to give Jo the benefit. I voted for her. But even I'm finding it quite hard going. I feel quite sorry for her and I still think she may grow in stature and gravitas over time - but she needs ten years. I do wonder if there's an underlying weariness with a female leader. Putting it as 'misogynism' is probably too strong but I wonder if Theresa May has left people wondering if any female leader can quite cut the mustard. I'm not defending that. I think Margaret Thatcher, for all her faults, was the most outstanding political operator of my lifetime: a true giant. And Nicola Sturgeon, again for all her faults, is hardly a pushover.

The other point is one you've mentioned. Much as I and many people dislike Jeremy Corbyn, Labour have run an outstanding campaign. Yes some of their policies are, erm, well 'rather radical.' But bloody hell they've set the agenda and got people talking. If elections are won on seizing the media, then Labour would be miles ahead of the tories who have presented absolutely NOTHING to the country.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Bit early to write off the Lib Dems isn't it ?

Too close to call in Warrington South
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I can't really disagree with it. As a LibDem I've found myself supporting a lot of Labour policies on an intellectual and pragmatic level and I know I'm not alone. The cry I hear a LOT is 'what do the LD's stand for?' Everyone knows the Brexit policy but, frankly, not everyone is interested in Brexit. In fact most people aren't. I did suggest on here in the run up to the election that this would be the case. The only people really fired up by Brexit are the Far Right. It has ever been thus. Most people have other (far more important) things to worry about.

I've desperately tried to give Jo the benefit. I voted for her. But even I'm finding it quite hard going. I feel quite sorry for her and I still think she may grow in stature and gravitas over time - but she needs ten years. I do wonder if there's an underlying weariness with a female leader. Putting it as 'misogynism' is probably too strong but I wonder if Theresa May has left people wondering if any female leader can quite cut the mustard. I'm not defending that. I think Margaret Thatcher, for all her faults, was the most outstanding political operator of my lifetime: a true giant. And Nicola Sturgeon, again for all her faults, is hardly a pushover.

The other point is one you've mentioned. Much as I and many people dislike Jeremy Corbyn, Labour have run an outstanding campaign. Yes some of their policies are, erm, well 'rather radical.' But bloody hell they've set the agenda and got people talking. If elections are won on seizing the media, then Labour would be miles ahead of the tories who have presented absolutely NOTHING to the country.

"The only people really fired up by Brexit are the Far Right."
    You really need to reset your political boundaries. Or stop talking bollocks. One or the other.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Barnesian said:

Like the Tory national vote share benefitting from Brexit candidates standing down, but only in seats the Tories already hold, not seats they need to win.

I think any hopes that the MRP is wrong would have to concern factors like those.
    I was surprised that the MRP showed the LDs falling short in Winchester, Guildford and Cheadle, and only neck-and-neck in Cheltenham.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463
    edited November 2019
    Yep it was revoke plus the Boris deal that skewered the Lib Dems.
    Plus Jeremy Corbyn, obvs.
    A firm commitment to a referendum, wherein they would vigorously campaign for remain, plus Ed Davey as leader as a pseudo Tory would have helped.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited November 2019

Jonathan said:

The Tories' underbelly is soft. In the right year, there will be rich pickings.

Its also worth mentioning that the LibDem brand - such as it currently is - was greatly watered down by allowing in a selection of ex Conservative and Labour MPs who were there because they felt that their own party had left them. Not because they had become natural LibDems. I'm in a seat where longstanding LibDems are not happy to have a candidate who they see with a track record of voting to implement austerity - and all the rest of the Tory offer apart from Brexit. And even that Brexit view is as a Johnny come lately convert.
    A party that is home to Chuka Umunna, Angela Smith, Phillip Lee and Antoinette Sandbach risks not representing anything other than the sort of naked opportunism the voters have shown they despise in their political class. And so it has proven.

Couldn`t agree more. LibDems decouple from their ideological roots when they become a receptacle for disaffected conservatives and collectivists. Though I vote LibDem, I`d probably vote Liberal this time if they stood a candidate in my constituency.
    It`s a shame because so many people are liberals, but vote outside of their ideology due to familial influence, habit or union links. The LibDems must go back to tubthumping their liberalism: individual flourishment and equality of status - the freedom party. Start there.
  • Options

Swinson's message is, on the other hand, put crudely, bollocks to Brexit (and fuck the 52%.) Revocation might be an exciting position for the sort of very passionate Remainers who keep turning up to Stop Brexit rallies, but for the cooler sort of pro-EU voter they're just left wondering how crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women is meant to help to stitch the country back together, or even respect democracy. They wonder what's wrong with having that second referendum, which every other left-of-centre party is offering. In particular, those who dislike Corbyn but are more afraid of Brexit are thereby encouraged to swallow their doubts and vote Labour instead.
    I'm inclined to agree. I do sympathise with the Revoke approach and part of me likes the idea, but my sensible half thinks it's a pretty appalling trammelling of the democratic process. It's incredibly illiberal.

Much as the right wing media deride it, Jeremy Corbyn's position finally reached on Brexit is very astute. Stay neutral and offer a free vote - a good deal vs Remain. It's a much better stance than going straight to Revoke.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Don't blame me. I voted for Ed Davey.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Conservative posters pretty much disappeared in the 1990s and haven't returned, even when they started winning elections again. The only place you see them now is in the occasional field.
    Because our opponents resorted to vandalism, violence and intitmidation against those who did show their colours.

Plus, times have changed. It's seen as naff. The LibDem diamonds are the last redoubt of naff in the country....
  • Options

I'm inclined to agree. I do sympathise with the Revoke approach and part of me likes the idea, but my sensible half thinks it's a pretty appalling trammelling of the democratic process. It's incredibly illiberal.

Much as the right wing media deride it, Jeremy Corbyn's position finally reached on Brexit is very astute. Stay neutral and offer a free vote - a good deal vs Remain. It's a much better stance than going straight to Revoke.
    She could have said: the LDs' strong preference is for Revoke, but that the official policy is to achieve this through a referendum in order to respect the democratic vote in 2016.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

You really need to reset your political boundaries. Or stop talking bollocks. One or the other.
    Spoken by one of our Far Right members. You Brexiteers have myopia. And, unlike you, I'm backed up by opinion polling. Europe has never been of much interest to those in the centre and Left.

No one else is interested in Brexit. On the doorstep literally no one is talking about it. They ARE talking about the NHS, utility companies, railways, schools and taxation.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Andy_JS said:

Chris said:

Barnesian said:

I was surprised that the MRP showed the LDs falling short in Winchester, Guildford and Cheadle, and only neck-and-neck in Cheltenham.
    I think your own analysis in another places show where the MRP got it wrong in 47 seats which could potentially impact the overall predictions.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Market Harborough, Foxy? Lovely town, Iive half an hour away - was there the other night at their Christmas market thingy.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Of course, it could be argued that the voters are now demanding better. Of the Liberal Democrats.
    (As some here pointed out when that slogan was launched, it does have an unnecessary yet comic ambiguity. Epic fail, slogan department.)
  • Options
    Mr. (Miss? Sorry, I forget) Rose, I agree entirely.

The Conservative approach relied on making the campaign about the EU. But what have they done to achieve this? They've ceded all initiative to Labour.

It's like a man in a bar who sees a pretty lady and thinks "I should like to go on a date with her". And doesn't ask her out. And then goes home alone, wondering where it went wrong.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Layla Moran would have been a good choice too IMO.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    philiph said:

Spot on. So many liberals unwittingly vote against their ideology by supporting Labour. The LibDems need to re-read Mill and their own Orange Book.
    I think a big problem is that the US meaning of "liberal", which to them often means "left wing", has leached into the UK.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Spoken by one of our Far Right members. You Brexiteers have myopia. And, unlike you, I'm backed up by opinion polling. Europe has never been of much interest to those in the centre and Left.

They ARE talking about the NHS, utility companies, railways, schools and taxation.
    Fuck off am I "Far Right".
    Apologise, you c***. And a lying c*** at that. "No one else is interested in Brexit. On the doorstep literally no one is talking about it." Wanna see my canvass return of all these no ones?
  • Options
    This is a slightly premature post mortem.

The LDs will be disappointed with their national polling but they are still well up on last time and will probably improve on their seat tally. Tactical voting and differential turnout could yet see them finish with a healthy twenty plus seats, which wouldn't be so bad, especially if we were in hung parliament territory. A strong finish to the campaign would help but even so they are hanging in ok. There is certainly no sign of meltdown.

Where did it go wrong? Not sure it did. Revoke was an honest policy, even if not hugely popular. Too much honesty perhaps? Not something you could accuse Conservatives and Labour of, but maybe that's just the way it is.

They have certainly been squeezed out of the debate. Their resources are so thin they crave air time, and their exclusion not only from national debates but also local coverage has hurt. There's not much they can do about that.

On billboards and the like, we're not really a showy nation, are we? I wasn't expecting to see many around here and that's been the case. Just three in total in Winchcombe (pop 5,000), all LD. No blue, no red, although I did rather surprisingly see a Labour board in the nearby village of Gretton. I guess I live at the more radical end of the constituency. Sitting MP and reclusive ERG Nutter, Laurence Robertson has little to fear.

Have a good weekend everyone. I'll be popping into Cheltenham later. Will let you know what I see there.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Guess who the most popular Labour politician is at present? Ed Balls.
    https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politics/popularity/labour-politicians/all
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    For a contrary view, isn’t it likely that LibDems falling back is just directly linked to people moving from thinking about their vote in the general to the specific choice they have to make in their own constituency? Which would have probably happened regardless. In many ways though their vote share probably haven’t been “helped” getting involved in (talk of) remainer pacts. This has just highlighted tactical voting and potentially denied them the opportunity of making serious inroads in seats where they started a distant third, and maybe even the odd shock result.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Fenman said:

Layla has a good interview style and geek chic, but Jo was a good choice. Her problem is that the new members overwhelmingly joined to oppose Brexit, and this has pushed to the back burner all other policies, such as sane financial planning and good stewardship of resources. Any other leader would have had the same problem.

The LDs are like Everton, blaming a poor choice of manager, sacking them, then repeat ad nauseam. The real issues are not addressed. Off to work now, so bye!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Fenman said:

Fiery. It's a shame she withdrew but I think there were some concerns about the 'issue'.

I feel mean to Jo putting this on a forum but I kind-of-wish I had voted for Ed. As I mentioned before, I think Jo will grow into this if she has the opportunity. Ten years from now she could be really good.

You could argue that this is Clegg's fault. Buying into the tories led to the 2015 decimation and, because of that, the small pool from which to select a leader.

By the way, I've also been chatting to under 30's and many of them still say they will never forgive the LibDems over tuition fees. Just stating what I'm being told.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

This is a slightly premature post mortem.

The LDs will be disappointed with their national polling but they are still well up on last time and will probably improve on their seat tally. Tactical voting and differential turnout could yet see them finish with a healthy twenty plus seats, which wouldn't be so bad, especially if we were in hung parliament territory. A strong finish to the campaign would help but even so they are hanging in ok. There is certainly no sign of meltdown.

Where did it go wrong? Not sure it did. Revoke was an honest policy, even if not hugely popular. Too much honesty perhaps? Not something you could accuse Conservatives and Labour of, but maybe that's just the way it is.

They have certainly been squeezed out of the debate. Their resources are so thin they crave air time, and their exclusion not only from national debates but also local coverage has hurt. There's not much they can do about that.

On billboards and the like, we're not really a showy nation, are we? I wasn't expecting to see many around here and that's been the case. Just three in total in Winchcombe (pop 5,000), all LD. No blue, no red, although I did rather surprisingly see a Labour board in the nearby village of Gretton. I guess I live at the more radical end of the constituency. Sitting MP and reclusive ERG Nutter, Laurence Robertson has little to fear.

Have a good weekend everyone. I'll be popping into Cheltenham later. Will let you know what I see there.

The billboard test assumes almost certainly wrongly that the supply of billboards does not vary between elections. A LD billboard drought might indicate falling support, but it might equally mean that the LDs have decided on a more leaflets, fewer billboards print strategy this time round.
  • Options
    OT, worth a read, if only to find out what Willetts is up to nowadays:

Older voters warp their countries’ policies because of their political power. One British politician has a plan to end that dominance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/11/britain-election-boomers/602680/
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,637
    edited November 2019
    Andy_JS said:

She could have said: the LDs' strong preference is for Revoke, but that the official policy is to achieve this through a referendum in order to respect the democratic vote in 2016.
    Swinson shot herself in the foot on day one, with her twin priorities of refusing to work with Labour, and B to Brexit. First, Labour was the only game in town to force revocation, so Swinson should at least have offered to support a Labour PM other than Corbyn. It undermined the LibDem claim that revoking Brexit was all-important. It also meant Swinson lost her chance to be kingmaker.

Second, because Swinson never set out why Brexit was inherently wrong even if we did not crash out, Boris was able to shoot her fox by achieving a deal of any sort.

So voters are left with the message that the LibDems are vaguely in favour of staying in the EU, even if they are not sure why, but it is not very important anyway. Hardly the St Crispin's Day speech.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Fenman said:

Sorry, I don't think the Leader is the problem. I like Davey and Moran but I don't think they would have done any better.

(Btw, if you want to see lots of Yellow Peril posters and boards, drive through Oxford West and Abingdon constituency. I think you get fined for not showing one.)
  • Options
    Chris said:

Yeah, I read that too. LDs were 33/1 in one of the seats I looked at. Lumped on.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

In many Lab-Tory marginals the libdems vote has already collapsed. It cannot go down any further. The only way is up, thereby the tories will be let in.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Chinese people in China won't be able to buy a mobile phone from tomorrow unless they submit to a facial recognition scan. Welcome to 1984.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bit early to write off the Lib Dems isn't it ?

Too close to call in Warrington South

Indded - I got 66/1 this morning!
  • Options
    Mr. JS, just one more step forward. Reminds me a bit of a dimwitted BBC journalist enthusiastically reporting about microchips embedded in skin for the sake of convenience.
  • Options
    Last point as I'm heading out to the doorsteps but I think that point made earlier about accepting the tory recalcitrants is a very good one. I felt pretty queasy about it I have to say. No. It's stronger than that. I was quite peed off. Why so? Because for 4 years we were re-forming ourselves on the soft left. Accepting those who voted for austerity was not a good look. In fact, I was really really cheesed off when we failed to support the Labour vote on the NHS just before dissolution. Yes it was party politicking by Labour, but it was basically the yellows saying we were unable to admit we got some things wrong in the 2010-15 Gov't. I think that was a huge mistake. The twitter trend for nearly 48 hours was 'Yellow Tories.' And that's the problem. Jo positioned herself to capture the tory remainers and to refuse to accept Corbyn as PM. I can see why she did the latter but as I mentioned earlier (to MM's oppobrium) Brexit really isn't that important to the majority of sensible people in this country. So forming the party's position solely on Brexit has gifted Labour the running on talking point policies.
  • Options

They ARE talking about the NHS, utility companies, railways, schools and taxation.
    Fuck off am I "Far Right".
    Apologise, you c***. And a lying c*** at that. "No one else is interested in Brexit. On the doorstep literally no one is talking about it." Wanna see my canvass return of all these no ones?
    How is canvassing going. Any hint of a Labour surge? (I know your patch isnt Labour's strongest area, but still).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487
    edited November 2019
    Did I just see somebody who quoted Der Sturmer to attack the Jews accuse somebody else of being ‘far right?’
    Now that’s what I call a truly epic self-awareness fail...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Because our opponents resorted to vandalism, violence and intitmidation against those who did show their colours.

Plus, times have changed. It's seen as naff. The LibDem diamonds are the last redoubt of naff in the country....
    Actually it is only yesterday I saw my first posters, all Conservative, and placed inside small shops from where they could be seen from the street.
  • Options

Swinson is too young. Maybe that summarises it?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Andy_JS said:

Chris said:

Barnesian said:

Yes, but compare Winchester to St Albans, which looks a much better prospect and is rated as an LD gain by the MRP. Both well-to-do and roughly 60:40 to Remain, but Winchester has nearly double the Tory majority and a much smaller Labour vote to be squeezed.

The general idea, I infer, is that there are probably insufficient numbers of Labour tactical voters (i.e. those more committed to Remain than Labour) and hardline Tory Remainers (i.e. those more afraid of Brexit than of Corbyn) to get the Lib Dems over the line in Winchester, whereas there are in St Albans.

Guildford has a larger Tory majority than Winchester and a smaller Remain advantage. The idea of it falling surely rests on Anne Milton having a large personal vote that will be drawn mostly from Tory defectors? Someone with local knowledge would be best placed to comment on whether or not this is plausible.

It looks like you have a good point regarding Cheadle though. I can only assume that the demographics are significantly different to those of the Southern seats that are forecast to drop into the Lib Dem column, and that this is influencing the model.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,990
    edited November 2019

As others have said, the Revoke policy was understandable in September, but a couple of months later an awful lot has changed and we have a deal back on the table.
    There was a lot of good stuff in the LD manifesto, especially their commitment to balancing budgets, but everything else has been drowned out by the Brexit policy.
    There are plenty of people - and I include myself here - who would rather vote to a libertarian party than an authoritarian one, given that both advocate sound money, but can't vote for people who disagree with democracy when it gives a result they don't like.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Fenman said:

I felt so, but she has even less experience.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    edited November 2019
    The LDs problem is simple, most centre left Remainers have gone back to Labour in seats where they are best placed to beat the Tories under FPTP while most 2017 Tory Remainers have stuck with the blues over fear of Corbyn. Leave voters of course would never vote LD anyway as they oppose the LDs stop Brexit policy.

However while nationally the LDs are polling no higher than 13% ie the Liberal voteshare in 1979 pre SDP Liberal Alliance, in some seats they are likely to do much better in Remain areaa where they are seen as the main challengers to the Tories e.g. Cheltenham, St Albans, Richmond Park, Kensington, Cities of London and Westminster and Finchley and Golders Green or Labour e.g. Sheffield Hallam.

Part of the problem too is still the legacy of the Coalition, of which Swinson was part, which means Labour voters will not back the LDs because of the legacy if austerity. I expect Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger though to have perhaps the biggest pro LD swings of the night as both Labour MPs during the Coalition years and this untainted by the Coalition and more likely to squeeze the Labour vote.

Indeed if Chuka wins Cities of London and Westminster (and the Labour vote there is much bigger than the Tory lead on current polls) he would be ideally placed to lead the LDs as an ex member of Ed Miliband's Shadow Cabinet, untainted by the Coalition and if Labour lose again under Corbyn and replace him with another hard left leader like Pidcock then the LDs get their chance. Umunna looks like a PM, Pidcock does not and Umunna could present himself as a UK Macron or Obama at the subsequent general election after 15 years of Tory rule.

Swinson might even lose her seat to the SNP on current polling speeding up that process but it will be close, on my view she is better placed to lead the LDs at Holyrood if that proves the case, she is more likely to appeal to Scottish Unionists and Tories against the SNP where there is no risk of stopping Brexit than she is UK centre left voters against Corbyn.
  • Options
    From Fraser Nelson no less (not a phrase you see very often):

"There’s no sign of bold Boris. He looks at times as if he is fighting the last campaign, terrified of messing things up as Theresa May did."
    "Ducking the Andrew Neil interviews braved by all other leaders risks giving a sense of complacency, as if he thinks victory is in the bag and that he doesn’t need to say anything more to earn votes."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/28/fear-tories-may-yet-blow-election/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Did I just see somebody who quoted Der Sturmer to attack the Jews accuse somebody else of being ‘far right?’

I was quoting Israeli Jewish friends with whom I lived. Their point was intellectually astute and one that behoves a considered response. Don't isolate Antisemitism from other forms of insidious racism, which are also on the increase. If you do, you risk playing into the hands of the very people you most oppose and fear. Antisemitism is a scourge but, for all the horrendous history, it's one form of an evil not an isolated or 'special' one.

It's a brilliant point. Sadly not originally mine :wink:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There are plenty of people - and I include myself here - who would rather vote to a libertarian party than an authoritarian one, given that both advocate sound money, but can't vote for people who disagree with democracy when it gives a result they don't like.
    Very true.

Right, I must head out!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yet things are less tolerant in the US, too, yet garden posters are almost the norm, with Dem and Rep posters side by side (and much more easily removable than our mostly indoor posters) on most residential streets without an apparent problems.
    Plenty of posters in marginal seats, Chingford is full of Labour and IDS ones and I also saw a lot in Oxford for the LDs and Labour last week though as you say often window rather than garden.

We are putting up our garden posters in Epping tomorrow morning
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The LDs problem is simple, most centre left Remainers have gone back to Labour in seats where they are best placed to beat the Tories under FPTP while most 2017 Tory Remaiers have stuck with the blues over fear of Corbyn. Leave voters of course would never vote LD anyway as they oppose the LDs stop Brexit policy.

However while nationally the LDs are polling no higher than 13% ie the Liberal voteshare in 1979 pre SDP Liberal Alliance, in some seats they are likely to do much better in Remain areaa where they are seen as the main challengers to the Tories e.g. Cheltenham, St Albans, Richmond Park, Kensington, Cities of London and Westminster and Finchley and Golders Green or Labour e.g. Sheffield Hallam.

Part of the problem too is still the legacy of the Coalition, of which Swinson was part, which means Labour voters will not back the LDs because of the legacy if austerity. I expect Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger though to have perhaps the biggest pro LD swings of the night as both Labour MPs during the Coalition years and this untainted by the Coalition and more likely to squeeze the Labour vote.

Indeed if Chuka wins Cities of London and Westminster (and the Labour vote there is much bigger than the Tory lead on current polls) he would be ideally placed to lead the LDs as an ex member of Ed Miliband's Shadow Cabinet, untainted by the Coalition and if Labour lose again under Corbyn and replace him with another hard left leader like Pidcock then the LDs get their chance. Umunna looks like a PM, Pidcock does not and Umunna could present himself as a UK Macron or Obama at the subsequent general election after 15 years of Tory rule.

Swinson might even lose her seat to the SNP on current polling speeding up that process but it will be close, on my view she is better placed to lead the LDs at Holyrood if that proves the case, she is more likely to appeal to Scottish Unionists and Tories against the SNP where there is no risk of stopping Brexit than she is UK centre left voters against Corbyn.

Good analysis HYUFD.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Swinson is too young. Maybe that summarises it?
    Basically, yes! :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487

ydoethur said:

I was quoting Israeli Jewish friends with whom I lived. Their point was intellectually astute and one that behoves a considered response. Don't isolate Antisemitism from other forms of insidious racism, which are also on the increase. If you do, you risk playing into the hands of the very people you most oppose and fear. Antisemitism is a scourge but, for all the horrendous history, it's one form of an evil not an isolated or 'special' one.

It's a brilliant point. Sadly not originally mine :wink:
    No you stupid person, it was originally made by Julius Streicher. And as you are clearly also a fluent liar as well as a thoroughly unpleasant racist, I do not for a second believe your claims about ‘Jewish friends.’ You may be unaware that was part of his original trope as well, and it was equally unconvincing then.
    I don’t think somebody who describes vile mass murderers’ views as ‘brilliant’ is in a position to accuse anyone else of being far right.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

The LDs problem is simple, most centre left Remainers have gone back to Labour in seats where they are best placed to beat the Tories under FPTP while most 2017 Tory Remainers have stuck with the blues over fear of Corbyn. Leave voters of course would never vote LD anyway as they oppose the LDs stop Brexit policy.

Part of the problem too is still the legacy of the Coalition, of which Swinson was part, which means Labour voters will not back the LDs because of the legacy if austerity. I expect Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger though to have perhaps the biggest pro LD swings of the night as both were Labour MPs during the Coalition years and thus untainted by the Coalition and more likely to squeeze the Labour vote.

Swinson might even lose her seat to the SNP on current polling speeding up that process but it will be close, in my view she is better placed to lead the LDs at Holyrood if that proves the case, she is more likely to appeal to Scottish Unionists and Tories against the SNP where there is no risk of stopping Brexit than she is UK centre left voters against Corbyn.

Good analysis HYUFD.
    Thanks
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Chris said:

Barnesian said:

Yes, but compare Winchester to St Albans, which looks a much better prospect and is rated as an LD gain by the MRP. Both well-to-do and roughly 60:40 to Remain, but Winchester has nearly double the Tory majority and a much smaller Labour vote to be squeezed.

The general idea, I infer, is that there are probably insufficient numbers of Labour tactical voters (i.e. those more committed to Remain than Labour) and hardline Tory Remainers (i.e. those more afraid of Brexit than of Corbyn) to get the Lib Dems over the line in Winchester, whereas there are in St Albans.

Guildford has a larger Tory majority than Winchester and a smaller Remain advantage. The idea of it falling surely rests on Anne Milton having a large personal vote that will be drawn mostly from Tory defectors? Someone with local knowledge would be best placed to comment on whether or not this is plausible.

It looks like you have a good point regarding Cheadle though. I can only assume that the demographics are significantly different to those of the Southern seats that are forecast to drop into the Lib Dem column, and that this is influencing the model.
    Local factors arel likely to be decisive. I think Cheltenham will be very close, because of a decent sitting MP. Guildford is a possible LD win, because of Milton, as you indicated. I will be very surprised if Anne Main hangs on in St Albans. She should have gone during the expenses scandal and has done little to redeem herself since.
This discussion has been closed.