Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just six months ago Betfair punters were making LAB the favour

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Looks as if the conservatives are going to take Farage on in all seats and Farage is not at all happy
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Evening all and just watch Farage rant about Tory HQ getting at Brexit candidates to stand down. FFS if they are intimidated enough to stand aside for that reason they shouldn't be standing in the first place. He just accept the reality that following the 2016 vote he has become yesterday's man. Assuming Boris wins the GE and enacts his Brexit Bill then UKIP and the Brexit Party will both cease to have any reason to exist.

Now we will start to learn more about which candidates are standing in which seats and assess the real contests. I am old enough to remember when the Liberals didn't put up candidates in a great many seats and contests were between Tory and Labour candidates with the odd Communist thrown in. A great many voters will be angry when they realise that the girl guide from Bearsden has marched them up to the top of the hill only to learn that either the Tories or Labour have already beaten them to it. Liberals with fewer than 30 MPs looks increasingly likely so maybe she wont last to the next election, assuming she holds her seat of course.

Fuck off with your girl guide view, she’s proud to be a girly swat and good on her.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Flanner said:

Well, here in Witney we've got (in candidates' alphabetical order) a Labour, a Tory and a LibDem.

No-one else: in a seat where the LibDems only narrowly beat Brexit in a Euro election just six months ago that drove the Tories into fourth, behind the Greens - and Labour into fifth, just a few votes ahead of ChUK (remember them?)

After years of UKIP, Greens, Wessex Regionalists, Monster Ravings and all the rest: the shortest ballot paper since 1987.

Amazing what pacts can do.

Have nominations closed?
    Two hours ago, I believe. That's why we're getting a flurry of candidate lists.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Gabs2 said:

RobD said:
    This seems like a crazy level of bureaucrats following rules without pausing to think whether it makes sense.
    Doesn’t it leave a bunch of EU committees inquorate, as they require positive unanimity from the Commissioner representing each Member State?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Bxp not standing in Canterbury
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854

Flanner said:

Well, here in Witney we've got (in candidates' alphabetical order) a Labour, a Tory and a LibDem.

No-one else: in a seat where the LibDems only narrowly beat Brexit in a Euro election just six months ago that drove the Tories into fourth, behind the Greens - and Labour into fifth, just a few votes ahead of ChUK (remember them?)

After years of UKIP, Greens, Wessex Regionalists, Monster Ravings and all the rest: the shortest ballot paper since 1987.

Have nominations closed?
    4pm today. Anybody who drops out now will remain on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    I see John McDonnell just said he has found the magic money tree. "It's in the Cayman Islands I'm going to dig it up and bring it back here"
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

I see John McDonnell just said he has found the magic money tree. "It's in the Cayman Islands I'm going to dig it up and bring it back here"

That’s quite funny to be fair.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Are the libs?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

We will never, ever, ever pay off our national debt.

This is right. The world will end first. It is something to be managed not destroyed. Like ... no, new me, maintain discipline, resist gratuitous analogies.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Gabs2 said:

RobD said:
    This seems like a crazy level of bureaucrats following rules without pausing to think whether it makes sense.
    Doesn’t it leave a bunch of EU committees inquorate, as they require positive unanimity from the Commissioner representing each Member State?
    The rules must allow for them being sick/overseas etc. You’d think it would be an embuggerance (another commissioner has to cover them) rather than a stopper. Would be astonishing if it were.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Health of politicians rarely mentioned at General Elections, but Guido is speculating about the significance of Corbyn's fresnel lens.

ttps://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1195016391172218880

Perhaps there will be photographs of him exercising in a park gym once again.

Even by Guido’s standards, that’s below the belt. He’s got no evidence for his assertion, just a bunch of speculation.

UK politics becoming more American, and not in a good way.
    I think the Sun newspaper portrayed Michael Foot in a way that questioned his faculties. Either his physical or mental. For instance they used a photograph of him with a walking stick or playing a violin with a snide commentary!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    DeClare said:

DeClare said:

Local councils are starting to publish their lists of nominations:
    https://www.westminster.gov.uk/general-election-2019
    Brexit Party in Westminster North, waste of £500, Chuka Umanna facing the Liberal Party (the bit that didn't want to merge with the SDP) in Cities of London & Westminster.

Liberal Democrats are describing themselves as "Liberal Democrats - To stop Brexit".
    They don't seem to have that slogan in strong leave voting areas that I've checked.

Interesting thanks for that . I wonder what they’re going to do in the sw and more split areas .
  • Options
    Time for me to sign off. Play nicely.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

Time for me to sign off. Play nicely.

Yes, sir!
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Health of politicians rarely mentioned at General Elections, but Guido is speculating about the significance of Corbyn's fresnel lens.

Even by Guido’s standards, that’s below the belt. He’s got no evidence for his assertion, just a bunch of speculation.

I look forward to the reports of Boris' visits to the STD clinic. :smile:
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Are the libs?
    Yes they have a replacement
  • Options

RobD said:
    Just hand more votes to Boris to get out
    Don’t follow the rules, you face consequences shocker.

You guys have all gone mad.
    Not really. It is just how it looks. Same as Tusk's tirade yesterday

It just strengthens the case against being in their cartel
    Except it doesn’t. It changes nothing. We’ll still be a poorer and insignificant little island on the edge of a superpower.
    The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world and will not be an insignificant island, that is just words those who cannot accept brexit indulge in to make themselves feel better
    We’re 6th or 7th actually, and falling.
    I think it is sad that you have such a low opinion of this great island nation
    What’s great about it?
    What a sad question
    Why? It’s a bit odd to consider this country great for no reason.

It’s my home and I have no desire to leave apart from perhaps to an independent Scotland at some point in the future.

Yes there’s some very good things about this country but there’s also some very bad things.

Top of the list is the toxic effect WW2 has on our arrogant belief that we’re better than all of the other nations in Europe. That we’re somehow above them.
    I have never considered UK is greater than any other nation. Remember I voted remain but we are at a point now where remaining is inconceivable and we have to leave, no matter the consequences

Of course there are bad things but we must not fall into the trap of running the country down because we have lost a democratic vote. We will only leave if Boris achieves a majority and in that case those who want to remain are able to start a campaign to re-join
  • Options

Away from election nonsense, these NHS figures are dreadful. I do wonder whether the time has come to hypothecate their tax take funding the NHS and have some serious conversations about managing demand and expectations; and finding more cash.

Well a lib dem policy for years hypothicatated tax with 1p on the basic rate to fund the service.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    nichomar said:

Away from election nonsense, these NHS figures are dreadful. I do wonder whether the time has come to hypothecate their tax take funding the NHS and have some serious conversations about managing demand and expectations; and finding more cash.

Well a lib dem policy for years hypothicatated tax with 1p on the basic rate to fund the service.
    That wouldn’t exclusively fund it, surely?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Flanner said:

Have nominations closed?
    Yes 4pm
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited November 2019
    Brexit Party Candidate in Hull is a former winner of BBC's The Apprentice

• Options
    Noo said:

Flanner said:

Have nominations closed?
    Thanks - but where do I find a list for, say, Ilford North?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    nichomar said:

Evening all and just watch Farage rant about Tory HQ getting at Brexit candidates to stand down. FFS if they are intimidated enough to stand aside for that reason they shouldn't be standing in the first place. He just accept the reality that following the 2016 vote he has become yesterday's man. Assuming Boris wins the GE and enacts his Brexit Bill then UKIP and the Brexit Party will both cease to have any reason to exist.

Now we will start to learn more about which candidates are standing in which seats and assess the real contests. I am old enough to remember when the Liberals didn't put up candidates in a great many seats and contests were between Tory and Labour candidates with the odd Communist thrown in. A great many voters will be angry when they realise that the girl guide from Bearsden has marched them up to the top of the hill only to learn that either the Tories or Labour have already beaten them to it. Liberals with fewer than 30 MPs looks increasingly likely so maybe she wont last to the next election, assuming she holds her seat of course.

Fuck off with your girl guide view, she’s proud to be a girly swat and good on her.
    Girl Guides do not pinch Marshmellows from children.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Gabs2 said:

RobD said:
    The rules must allow for them being sick/overseas etc. You’d think it would be an embuggerance (another commissioner has to cover them) rather than a stopper. Would be astonishing if it were.
    I assume that a Commissioner can appoint a proxy to act on his or her behalf, but if no Commissioner is ever sworn in there’s a problem.
  • Options
    isam said:

Bre...bre...Brexit party. Got it now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Except it doesn’t. It changes nothing. We’ll still be a poorer and insignificant little island on the edge of a superpower.
    The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world and will not be an insignificant island, that is just words those who cannot accept brexit indulge in to make themselves feel better
    We’re 6th or 7th actually, and falling.
    I think it is sad that you have such a low opinion of this great island nation
    What’s great about it?
    What a sad question
    Stop being abusive.
    In over five years on here I don't think Big G has ever been "abusive" to anyone. :open_mouth:
  • Options

Noo said:

Flanner said:

Have nominations closed?
    Belay that - I've found it!

http://democraticdashboard.com/constituency/ilford-north
  • Options
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

No but the tax rise would be exclusively used for it.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

No it wouldn’t. On the assumption you’d want something progressive you’d need to use all of NI plus some Income Tax.

I think it would be an opportunity to apply a reformed NI to the retired. Basically make it a second income tax, call in the “NHS Charge“ and chop a bit of Income Tax. Large parts of NI are mad (the almost zero marginal rate many of us pay for example) and it wouldn’t be missed.

That’s my off the top of my head thoughts. There’ll be issues with it though.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited November 2019
    isam said:

To be honest I find her pretty clueless on politics when I have listened to her on that Sky News panel with BJ's sister on it. I dont think she is capable of informed decision making... :disappointed:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

isam said:

To be honest I find her pretty clueless on politics when I have listened to her on that Sky News panel with BJ's sister on it. I dont think she is capable of informed decion making... :disappointed:
    You paid attention to what she was saying? How?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Noo said:

Flanner said:

Have nominations closed?
    https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/media/7426/statement-of-persons-nominated-and-notice-of-poll-ilford-north.pdf
  • Options

isam said:

To be honest I find her pretty clueless on politics when I have listened to her on that Sky News panel with BJ's sister on it. I dont think she is capable of informed decion making... :disappointed:
    Clue’s in the photo?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Alistair said:

Seen this message from multiple SCons now.

They are pushing the Less Democracy angle hard.

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP/status/1194892546775945216?s=19

Text Tory to remain in the UK and leave the EU
    Text Lib Dem to remain in both the UK and the EU
    Text SNP to remain in the EU and leave the UK
    or if you're "just curious" text Labour !
  • Options

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

I think the Sun newspaper portrayed Michael Foot in a way that questioned his faculties. Either his physical or mental. For instance they used a photograph of him with a walking stick or playing a violin with a snide commentary!
    I was wearing short trousers in 1983, but there’s plenty that Corbyn’s opponents can go on without questioning his health. These outlandish personal attacks don’t tend to go down too well in the U.K, and could drive support towards Corbyn either in sympathy, or from the thought he won’t be a long term PM even if he wins this election.

Stick to calling him an enabler and supporter of racism and terrorism who thinks that your house should be taken from you rather than gifted to your children, rather than speculating that he might be sick.
  • Options

A great many voters will be angry when they realise that the girl guide from Bearsden has marched them up to the top of the hill only to learn that either the Tories or Labour have already beaten them to it. Liberals with fewer than 30 MPs looks increasingly likely so maybe she wont last to the next election, assuming she holds her seat of course.

Do you think, if it's possible, you can lay off the bile and nastiness? Or go and post it on Guido Fawkes' website where you will be in better company.

I see no real evidence that the Liberal Democrats (don't be a prat calling them Liberals) are 'increasingly likely' to poll under 30 seats, though they might.

Anecdotally, my lifelong Conservative voting brother told me last night that he is voting LibDem. He thinks Brexit is a shambles. London marginal.
    You must be a "snowflake" if you think my comments are either in the "bile" category or nasty. Go out into the real world of doorstep politics. In my time I have been assaulted by Labour party activists, had my car damaged and oh yes in recent weeks told by Liberals that I was either "too thick" or "too rich" if I voted for Brexit. Frankly I couldn't care less what your brother in London or anywhere else is voting and I sincerely hope if we get a Corbyn government he and you are taxed into the absolute misery you deserve! Now grow up and grow a pair.
  • Options

This Thread is standing down

• Options

A great many voters will be angry when they realise that the girl guide from Bearsden has marched them up to the top of the hill only to learn that either the Tories or Labour have already beaten them to it. Liberals with fewer than 30 MPs looks increasingly likely so maybe she wont last to the next election, assuming she holds her seat of course.

Do you think, if it's possible, you can lay off the bile and nastiness? Or go and post it on Guido Fawkes' website where you will be in better company.

I see no real evidence that the Liberal Democrats (don't be a prat calling them Liberals) are 'increasingly likely' to poll under 30 seats, though they might.

Anecdotally, my lifelong Conservative voting brother told me last night that he is voting LibDem. He thinks Brexit is a shambles. London marginal.
    You must be a "snowflake" if you think my comments are either in the "bile" category or nasty. Go out into the real world of doorstep politics. In my time I have been assaulted by Labour party activists, had my car damaged and oh yes in recent weeks told by Liberals that I was either "too thick" or "too rich" if I voted for Brexit. Frankly I couldn't care less what your brother in London or anywhere else is voting and I sincerely hope if we get a Corbyn government he and you are taxed into the absolute misery you deserve! Now grow up and grow a pair.
    Feed. Trolls. The. Don’t.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

What happens if you have borrowed £1tn at 1% and the rate rises say to 5%, and you have not paid it off and need to remortgage the country? That sounds like time to call in the receivers to me, and the idea it can't happen is nonsense.

That's what happened with Greece and why the deficit needs to be under control but for the UK the debt mountain the rate can't simply rise to 5%. Its largely long-dated bonds fixed for 10-50 years. So only the deficit and a small amount of the mountain gets renewed each year.
    Thanks. Perhaps I am being simplistic, but doesn't that just transfer the risk to our grandchildren unless there is a plan for paying it off?

So long as we're sane, no. So long as we're on a long-enough horizon if the interest rate spikes we will be under pressure to fix it and get it back down in a timely fashion, the deficit alone requires that and the debt mountain is thankfully not adjustable so quickly.

Over the long term so long as we pay interest and are sensible between growth and inflation we ought to be able to bring debt-to-GDP down [it is already coming down] and we should target getting it back below 40%. But it doesn't have to be paid off.

In 1968 UK GDP was $104 bn
    In 2018 UK GDP was £2622 bn

Debt at 40% of 1968 that has never been paid off but interest paid would now be 1.56% of GDP.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

no matter the consequences

There's a whole haunted world of horror in that clause
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited November 2019
    GIN1138 said:

In over five years on here I don't think Big G has ever been "abusive" to anyone. :open_mouth:

+1. He is unfailingly courteous.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Interesting - just seen a Tim Farron message on facebook pushing how well he's thought of as a local MP (And I think he genuinely is) rather than anything to do with Brexit.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Gabs2 said:

RobD said:
    No, the EU being a rules-based organisation, they have no choice but to go through the motions. Nothing will come of it of course.
    Seems to me it's more or less a non-event. It was reasonable not to suggest an appointment, for the double reason that (a) we're intending to leave the EU and (b) it isn't something that a retiring government should do, in this country. Now the EU have found us in breach of the EU law, it becomes something that the interim government will have to do by the deadline specified.

So they will make their appointment suggestion, and no doubt the response will be "But you're leaving!"

Box ticking exercise.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    camel said:

kinabalu said:

Well at least I know I am no where near being rich or even wealthy then. Not in monetary terms anyway.

Do you disagree with me? Do you think I've set it too high?
    In all honesty it is not something I normally think about. I dislike the current levels of taxation as I think Government spending is generally wasteful and tax to a large extent is theft. So the finesse of who is and is not 'rich' is not a major concern for me.

I do think there are many open goals the Government could be looking at in terms of tax before they direct their attention to individuals either rich or poor. The taxation of multi-nationals is the most obvious.
    Taxation of employers is never a very good thing, and is something that is dangerous to tinker with. It also infantilises individuals, because they never really see how much tax is effectively being paid on their behalf. Most people will have never heard of employers national insurance, and yet it is basically a tax on their job, meaning they are paying a tax on the efforts they make without even knowing it.
    I suspect he meant CT, not ERS.
    Apologies yes I did.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,018

isam said:

:D
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

And that is what the people decided. Not every country has to be absorbed into the neighbouring super power.
    The people were lied to, thinking they would be richer and safer as a result.
    So you claim. As always you are wrong.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Gabs2 said:

RobD said:
    No, the EU being a rules-based organisation, they have no choice but to go through the motions. Nothing will come of it of course.
    Seems to me it's more or less a non-event. It was reasonable not to suggest an appointment, for the double reason that (a) we're intending to leave the EU and (b) it isn't something that a retiring government should do, in this country. Now the EU have found us in breach of the EU law, it becomes something that the interim government will have to do by the deadline specified.

So they will make their appointment suggestion, and no doubt the response will be "But you're leaving!"

Box ticking exercise.

Good evening, everyone.
    Good evening Anne
  • Options
    Labour is going to be the next Government, governing as a minority.

Labour has gone up in the polls, Corbyn has gone up in the polls (-60 to -40), Johnson has gone down (positive to negative).

2017 is repeating.
This discussion has been closed.