Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What might mess up Tory strategy – Brexit is a much much bigge

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Cookie said:

OK - sod Brexit, on to the big issues. I frequently leave the bag in - I like a very strong cup of tea. There are two mainstream alternatives: leave to brew and return four or five minutes later (ideal, but 25% of cups of tea get forgotten) or a quick dunk and a mash with the spoon (potentially resulting in an insufficiently string cup of tea and/or a damaged spoon). The bag-left-in approach has a lot to recommend it.

I drink green tea. No milk required. Sometimes, perhaps, a very thin slice of lemon may find its way in...
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    Pierrot said:

I looked for previous instances where a political party was targeted with a cyberattack during an election campaign. The biggest example I found was the attacks on the Liberal Party, the Labor Party and the Nationals in Australia earlier this year. The Australian Signals Directorate (Oz GCHQ,) has blamed China. The Australian Conservative Party, which won a surprise victory under campaign manager Isaac Levido (currently running the Tory campaign in Britain) was not under attack as far as I am aware.

Oops - I totally screwed that up. Levido's side was one of the victims of the attack. He was working for the Liberal/National campaign under Scott Morrison.
  • Options

You haven't watched ITV2 recently

If you think ITV2 is bad, you should see the new Star War show on Disney+, The Mandalorian.....

I think the Guardian were very generous to give it 2 Stars.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/nov/12/the-mandalorian-review-star-wars-jon-favreau
    How have you seen it since it is not out here until next March?
  • Options
    Brexit - the dividend that keeps failing to pay

No doubt a Leaver will be along in a moment to airly wave his/her hands and denounce this as unimportant or some such...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Cookie said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

The Conservative Party is in a bleak state
    https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1194367239727828994

Warsi hates us atheists!
    Click through to the article and you'll see the important story in there is racist Conservative councillors.
    I did deliberately choose to post the Warsi tweet rather than just the Guardian link, though, entirely to annoy you.
    And I post this just to annoy you:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17021831
    "Britain is under threat from a rising tide of "militant secularisation", a cabinet minister [ie. Warsi] has warned."
    Warsi has spent so long trying to claim some special treatment for religion that I switch off when I see her name attached to a story. Public life should be getting more secular, not less.
    Now, we should always be wary of dismissing the story because we distrust the messenger, so I am very much not dismissing Noo's story. I have nothing against Noo. But my hackles rise when I see Warsi's name.
    While I share your concerns about Warsi, she does have a point - and this - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/03/08/what-might-the-tories-learn-from-labour/ -is worth reading on the same topic and will, I hope, not make your hackles rise.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cookie said:

OK - sod Brexit, on to the big issues. I frequently leave the bag in - I like a very strong cup of tea. There are two mainstream alternatives: leave to brew and return four or five minutes later (ideal, but 25% of cups of tea get forgotten) or a quick dunk and a mash with the spoon (potentially resulting in an insufficiently string cup of tea and/or a damaged spoon). The bag-left-in approach has a lot to recommend it.

I drink green tea. No milk required. Sometimes, perhaps, a very thin slice of lemon may find its way in...
    Builders’ tea for me. In a large mug.

Mint tea in summer. Camomile tea occasionally if having sleep problems.

And lots of fresh mint lemonade.

I am hereby appointing myself PB’s official Non-Alcoholic Drinks Guru. At least I can stop people sprinkling chocolate over their tea ....... 😠
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978

No doubt a Leaver will be along in a moment to airly wave his/her hands and denounce this as unimportant or some such...
    Having control over our own borders, economy and laws we can finally resuscitate British Leyland instead. What Brexiteer worth his salt wouldn’t now want to be seen driving a Morris Marina?
  • Options

If you think ITV2 is bad, you should see the new Star War show on Disney+, The Mandalorian.....

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/nov/12/the-mandalorian-review-star-wars-jon-favreau
    Its out in the US on Disney+, and I have an account.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    Colin Kaepernick: NFL arranges workout for free agent quarterback

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/50399780

He wasn't really good enough 3 years ago, there is absolutely no way he is after 3 years of inactivity. The NFL is a brutal, ultra-competitive league, where the average career length is 3-4 years.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Warsi hates us atheists!
    Click through to the article and you'll see the important story in there is racist Conservative councillors.
    I did deliberately choose to post the Warsi tweet rather than just the Guardian link, though, entirely to annoy you.
    It’s a bit of a weird article - clearly there are some serious and multiple racist comments attributed to some councillors but they lump in some other stuff which is not as strong - a councillor who says no more aid to Africa and let nature take its course is clearly an idiot but how is that racist or islamophobic? - and another who in the context of talking about Yasmin alibai brown being anti British who simply asks why she is here seems pretty weak. I’ve frequently said about moaning media types that they should go and live elsewhere if they are not happy here.

Considering the amount of scandal this brings wouldn’t it benefit the main parties to review social media activity of their own representatives? Employ 1 person, have a confidential reporting system, systematically review social media.
  • Options

Disney+ streaming service.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited November 2019
    Gauke to stand as an independent in his old seat of SW Herts and backs EUref2, hopefully the new hardworking Tory candidate, Gagan Mohindra, who I know quite well trounces him. Given he is now clearly a LD in all but name hopefully he splits their vote too

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/12/david-gauke-stand-independent-election/
  • Options
    I think this fundamentally overstates the influence of Farage. For Brexit to be delivered by the Tory party it would have to modulate towards a consistent Brexit stance as they cannot rely on the other parties to help. The basic mathematics of the situation has driven it not Farage. If May had got a big majority through in 2017 she would have been able to get a softer Brexit through.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Having control over our own borders, economy and laws we can finally resuscitate British Leyland instead. What Brexiteer worth his salt wouldn’t now want to be seen driving a Morris Marina?
    BJ has already ditched one Marina! Or did she ditch him? Funny how ditches and humps are associated with the PM! :wink:
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

I think this fundamentally overstates the influence of Farage. For Brexit to be delivered by the Tory party it would have to modulate towards a consistent Brexit stance as they cannot rely on the other parties to help. The basic mathematics of the situation has driven it not Farage. If May had got a big majority through in 2017 she would have been able to get a softer Brexit through.
    It is one the great debates of our time - how much do we attribute to Nigel Farage in achieveing what decades of Tory MPs (Redwood, Cash etc) failed to do in their own party. My view is ignore Farage at your peril.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Builders’ tea for me. In a large mug.

Mint tea in summer. Camomile tea occasionally if having sleep problems.

And lots of fresh mint lemonade.

I am hereby appointing myself PB’s official Non-Alcoholic Drinks Guru. At least I can stop people sprinkling chocolate over their tea ....... 😠
    Chocolate ..... on tea???!??!!??
  • Options

That is the Oxford Union? A dozen people people sitting on benches? I always envisaged it as attended by hundreds. People talk about it like is something more than a handful of folk listening to a chat between two other people.
  • Options

twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1194392723492626432?s=21

twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1194406702822645761?s=21

I hope that was a spoof post on your part, because it was brilliant :D:D
  • Options

It is one the great debates of our time - how much do we attribute to Nigel Farage in achieveing what decades of Tory MPs (Redwood, Cash etc) failed to do in their own party. My view is ignore Farage at your peril.
    I’m not ignoring him, and I think he was fundamental in pushing for the referendum, but I think if it was left to him to lead the campaign it would have lost.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Farage has made a tactical retreat, but his positioning is very strong because if Johnson wins a majority, he will inevitably disappoint on Brexit, and Farage will be able to say I told you so.
  • Options
    Yes and in light of the islamophobia dossier article earlier, it should be noted that in Labour those with issues of Antisemitism are now being picked as PPCs
  • Options
    So Labour grid today is NHS...

Labour vows to outspend Tories on the NHS

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50397847
  • Options

Farage has made a tactical retreat, but his positioning is very strong because if Johnson wins a majority, he will inevitably disappoint on Brexit, and Farage will be able to say I told you so.
    If Boris wins a majority Brexit will be delivered with his Deal and FTA talks start with the EU
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Boris wins a majority Brexit will be delivered with his Deal and FTA talks start with the EU
    So we'll be in a vassal state transition, and Johnson will have to make lots of concessions if he wants to agree an FTA in time to avoid extending it and going back on his promise.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

So we'll be in a vassal state transition, and Johnson will have to make lots of concessions if he wants to agree an FTA in time to avoid extending it and going back on his promise.
    The transition period will end in December 2020 as Boris has made clear but free trade negotiations will continue after with the EU outside the single market and customs union if no FTA yet completed
  • Options

That is the Oxford Union? A dozen people people sitting on benches? I always envisaged it as attended by hundreds. People talk about it like is something more than a handful of folk listening to a chat between two other people.
    It was packed when Nixon came, in my day.....
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

That is impressive seeing a US president in the flesh! Doubt I ever will.
  • Options

That is ancient history.
  • Options

He was a former president by then - I suspect we were too forgiving - "I screwed it up" got a round of applause.

https://www.nytimes.com/1978/12/01/archives/welcome-for-nixon-at-oxford-is-warm-questions-friendly-though-some.html
  • Options

So Labour grid today is NHS...

Labour vows to outspend Tories on the NHS

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50397847

It doesn't matter how much money the Tories haven't got because they blew it leaving the EU, Labour will not have more of it.
  • Options

I saw the queen in the flesh once - at Newcastle Races - the route to the private box was through the (smoky) bar and the Boy's Brigade were there with plastic chain link to form a narrow corridor for her to pass. Tap on the shoulder "Excuse me, the queen would like to pass" so I stepped to one side and she walked right past - brilliant blue eyes.

Princess Margaret came to the Oxford Union. "Her Royal Highness doesn't really bother with an aperitif before dinner, Scotch and water will be fine. No need for wine, just Scotch. And perhaps one to take into the debate."

Also saw Mrs T at the Newcastle Holiday Inn where she was due to give a speech to businessmen - full make up "camera ready" - in the flesh it looks overdone and a curious sort of waddle. The day before they'd cut the power to the hotel to search for bombs.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    egg said:

I haven't seen these. But I know which one worked.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1194387433061855232

One clear winner. A Party broadcast with Thai curry. Solid choice.

Panang Gai For me
    Fanboys gonna fanboy.
  • Options

That is ancient history.
    A "Labour" government - yes - ancient history.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The transition period will end in December 2020 as Boris has made clear but free trade negotiations will continue after with the EU outside the single market and customs union if no FTA yet completed
    You think we’ll crash out of transition on WTO terms?
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

I can think of few things I would ever agree with Aron Banks on, but I do agree that Farage has shaped the Conservative Party in his own image. What I would disagree with Banks is that it is most definitely NOT a good thing. The Conservative is no longer the Conservative Party. It has become a party dominated by the extreme right.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

Noo said:

Noo said:

Warsi hates us atheists!
    It’s a bit of a weird article -

Considering the amount of scandal this brings wouldn’t it benefit the main parties to review social media activity of their own representatives? Employ 1 person, have a confidential reporting system, systematically review social media.
    It's notable that the number of cases of actual Islamophobia cited by the Guardian is between one and five rather than the 25 in the headline, and one of them is a *Parish* Councillor.

The same chap anonymous twitter use who generated this 'dossier', @MatesJacob, generated another one of 115 allegations back in May 2019, of which 80-85% turned out to be repeats of previous allegations. Fair enough, as it was a collection, but without specifics the numbers mean little, and the G does not supply specifics.

Also worth a note that the big one from last week - Calvert - was relating to statements in 2002 that had been addressed by him in 2008. But in the narrative of an election that will not catch.

And that the MCB supplied a dossier of alleged cases to the EHCR in May 2019 requesting a statutory investigation, and 6 months later nothing has happened. Why not? Much of the credibility remains to be confirmed.

(Similarly I think to claims Sam Gyimah is making about Emma Dent-Coad having been on the committee that approved the Grenfell Refurb, and therefore being responsible. Doesn't stand up, but the damage is done.)

So I think think there is at least *some* media-windup/trolling going on here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-islamophobia-racism-party-members-dossier-a8919581.html
    https://mcb.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/201905-Complaint-to-the-EHRC-about-Islamophobia-in-the-Conservative-Party_website.pdf
This discussion has been closed.