Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The General Election – identifying the top bell weather seats

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    kinabalu said:

Just out of interest has anyone else noticed the lense in the glasses of JC's right hand eye or if you are watching on tv the lense on the left. It is radically different to the other lense. Hope he is ok!

Jeremy has eye problems, Boris has lie problems.
    Osborn has cry problems, Nigel Lawson has dye problems. Not one of them has a shy problem.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    Will Johnson cancel the election unless young people are barred from voting?

Rank cowardice if so but I wouldn't put it past him.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    Nigelb said:
    Question is whether Labour swallows the rulings or uses them as excuse for voting against.
  • Options

PaulM said:

Looking at the votes on Creasy amendment

Ex Tories voting for it were Bebb, Clarke, Greening, Grieve, P Hammond, Sandbach

Boles, Burt, Gauke, Letwin, Rudd and Rory Stewart abstained

Does anyone really believe the likes of Clarke, Hammond etc in their claims that the WAB could ever have passed if reliant on their votes?
    Yes.
  • Options

PaulM said:

Ex Tories voting for it were Bebb, Clarke, Greening, Grieve, P Hammond, Sandbach

Does anyone really believe the likes of Clarke, Hammond etc in their claims that the WAB could ever have passed if reliant on their votes?
    Yes, it's certainly possible that it would:

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/could-boris-johnson-have-passed-his-brexit-bill/

I'm not entirely convinced, personally.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

PaulM said:

Nobody does. A lie that does them no favours.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Danny565 said:

You don't really think the government would cancel the election just because 16 and 17-year-olds get to vote, do you?

I would hope that they would, yes.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Corbo going for Vas and Veuc - good for him. I raised this idea last night. Great idea!

Changing the system for short term gain is indeed typical of Corbyn.

But the fact remains that both votes at 16 and votes for EU citizens are a moral and consitutional abomination.
    I must say I thought the LDs were very much committed to votes at 16.

I nearly said "as a matter of principle" then.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Can the PB Tories explain their principled objection to Vas and Veuc?

Many people would rather raise the voting age to 21 than drop it to 16.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360

It's rushed.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,043
    DavidL said:

The idea that EU citizens should be given the right to vote in our national election for the first time when Parliament has already approved in principle a deal to allow us to leave the EU is just so off the wall that it must surely be getting put forward as a bet.

It’s not off the wall at all. They have been given the right to remain. It’s an important gesture welcoming them into the franchise post Brexit.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The way things are going, the Tories will need to raise the voting age to retirement age
  • Options
    Has anyone any idea when the amendments will be called
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

And on the other point, other than party advantage why stop with EU national? If you believe in the principle it should include all foreign nationals.

They are both sensible policy debates to be had (what is an adult; and is voting about where you come from and loyalty, or where you are), but there is a debate.
  • Options
    timmo said:
    How long has Dominic Grieve been a convert to the cause of a much widened franchise? Fifteen minutes? The full hour?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Brom said:

Chris said:

Brom said:

RobD said:

The absence of Swinson was interesting. Are enough washing their hair to let the Gvt win?

Edit - nope. Here we got with the votes at 16 and EU amendments.

Both of those are wrecking amendments as that isn’t feasible before the date listed in the bill.
    Why aren't they feasible?

EU electors are already on the electoral register and, while 16-17 year olds would need to hurry up to register, there's no reason the election couldn't go ahead despite many not having done so.

They may not be desirable for Johnson... and may be enough for him to vote against his own election plan. But they are certainly feasible in practical terms.
    No chance, they know the public is against letting kids vote and they know there would be on election if they insist upon it.
    Why stop at citizens of Bulgaria? Why not citizens of Russia or China?
    Let's face it, they should never have let coloureds vote.
    I can imagine yourself driving a minibus full of toddlers to a polling station in order to help the remain cause. Any gerrymandering will do.
    I seriously doubt that remainers would need to gerrymander anything to win a 2nd referendum - I'm happy to put it to the test, are you?
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    Brom said:

Brom said:

The Tories should accept the amendments. Let’s do it! Vas and Veuc, all-in, an election for every citizen!

Lol, crazy talk. Literally no one wants that.
    Incorrect. I do for one. I reckon there are thousands more with me.

I think you meant “I don’t want that”.
    Thousands says it all! So you think a Romanian living in the UK for a few years should get to vote both in both a UK General election and a Romanian election? Essentially any foreigner living in the UK wouldn't need to take up citizenship and could have a say in how 2 countries were run.
    Not "any foreigner". Citizens of 24 EU member states would be added to citizens of Cyprus, Malta, the Republic of Ireland, India, Pakistan, Australia, etc., who already can vote in all elections here.

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    All the govt has to do is offer a royal commission to look into votes at 16 and explain that only two other EU countries allow non nationals to vote in their national.elections.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Votes for 16/17 year olds won't make much difference, exceptions like Greta Thunberg aside, most of them no little or nothing about politics and will vote along with their parents. Most people of that age group that I know are more concerned with who's winning Love Island than who's in No.10.
    Who would appeal to this age group more on social media? Boris with his jovial nature and mop of blond hair or earnest old man Corbyn with his grey beard?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

The way things are going, the Tories will need to raise the voting age to retirement age
    Boris: "I wish to table an amendment......"
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    TOPPING said:

It's rushed.
    Anyone will tell you that Vaz is extremely oleaginous and not a man to trust given his record...
    As for Veuc….??
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    OllyT said:

Brom said:

Chris said:

Brom said:

RobD said:

The absence of Swinson was interesting. Are enough washing their hair to let the Gvt win?

Both of those are wrecking amendments as that isn’t feasible before the date listed in the bill.

EU electors are already on the electoral register and, while 16-17 year olds would need to hurry up to register, there's no reason the election couldn't go ahead despite many not having done so.

They may not be desirable for Johnson... and may be enough for him to vote against his own election plan. But they are certainly feasible in practical terms.
    No chance, they know the public is against letting kids vote and they know there would be on election if they insist upon it.
    I can imagine yourself driving a minibus full of toddlers to a polling station in order to help the remain cause. Any gerrymandering will do.
    I seriously doubt that remainers would need to gerrymander anything to win a 2nd referendum - I'm happy to put it to the test, are you?
    Sure, but you'll only get one after you fight the general election. Why are you so scared of that?
  • Options
    It’s stupid that we can send a boy to his death in the military at 16 yet not let him vote.
  • Options

timmo said:
    How long has Dominic Grieve been a convert to the cause of a much widened franchise? Fifteen minutes? The full hour?
    Praise to the newly found intellectual open-mindedness once our representatives are freed from the Conservative yoke.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

If people are fully mature at 16, why is education/training mandatory until 18? As for the latter, it isn't reciprocated, and it is a blatant gerrymander given the circumstances.
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    edited October 2019
    DeClare said:

Votes for 16/17 year olds won't make much difference, exceptions like Greta Thunberg aside, most of them no little or nothing about politics and will vote along with their parents. Most people of that age group that I know are more concerned with who's winning Love Island than who's in No.10.
    Who would appeal to this age group more on social media? Boris with his jovial nature and mop of blond hair or earnest old man Corbyn with his grey beard?

What else happens in December?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Is 9th Dec even possible now? Thought we'd run out of time for that.
    Nigelb said:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332

DavidL said:

The idea that EU citizens should be given the right to vote in our national election for the first time when Parliament has already approved in principle a deal to allow us to leave the EU is just so off the wall that it must surely be getting put forward as a bet.

It’s not off the wall at all. They have been given the right to remain. It’s an important gesture welcoming them into the franchise post Brexit.
    I cannot believe you are being serious. There is a world of difference between having a right to remain somewhere and a right to vote in a national election. Even the EU has never gone that far.
  • Options
    timmo said:
    Were they asked? Various daft Labour stunts in recent days about "eugh LibDems didn't vote for this" when the opposite is quickly demonstrated
  • Options

It’s stupid that we can send a boy to his death in the military at 16 yet not let him vote.

I thought 16 year olds couldn't go to the front line?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Many people think it should be restricted to people just like them.

FWIW, I think 16 is too young, but I do understand the arguments for it.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2019

We can’t. You can’t go to a war zone until you’re 18. That’s because we endorse the UN’s views on child soldiers.....
  • Options

I am not a PB Tory but the objections to both are simple.

On Votes for EU citizens. People should not have the vote on the future of our country if they have no long term interest in its success. If their intent is to remain in Britain permanently then they should become British citizens and gain the vote that way. If they are not willing to do that then they should not be voting on our future. I would also remove the franchise fron anyone living outside the UK for more than 5 years. It can be restored if and when thry resettle.

On votes at 16. An election is akin to a contract. I would consider changing to 16 if we also changed every other law surrounding age of consent including jury service and the right to enter into contracts. And drinking, smoking and driving. Funnily enough although this may not include you, lots of people in favour of votes at 16 balk at the idea of having a 16 year old drive a car or sit in judgement on them on a jury.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    RobD said:

They can't.

They can't even be live armed on guard in the UK (or at least couldn't).
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    edited October 2019

Because it's blatant vote-rigging by the left, who are too shit to win elections without changing the franchise.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Actually - having spent many years as a councillor visiting sixth formers in schools - you are wrong. 16 and 17 year olds are, generalising, very engaged. Disengagement sets in once they leave school and it’s the twentysomethings who are closer to what you describe.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

I thought you had to be 18 to serve in a combat role
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    AndyJS said:

And some to the age that has over 50% Tory support around 55
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Laura Kuenssberg has just said that in no EU country can citizens of other EU countries vote. And those are countries that ostensibly to stay in the European Union.

Whatever the result of this vote, it is going to provoke a great deal of discussion.
  • Options

Not true, under 18 year olds are not allowed in combat situations.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

You can't do that. Only 18 year olds are allowed in conflicts.
  • Options

PaulM said:

Nobody does. A lie that does them no favours.
    But the thing is, if you think the WAIB couldn't get through the present House of Commons, you're kind of implying that the LDs are putting their own short-term political interests above their declared Number One Political Principle by facilitating an early election ...
  • Options

It is also a lie. It is against the law for anyone under the age of 18 to be posted to a war zone.
  • Options

We can't.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:
    Question is whether Labour swallows the rulings or uses them as excuse for voting against.
    Question is whether Bercow perverts the rulings to get his policy preferences.
  • Options

People can't even buy cigarettes until the age of 18 now.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

DeClare said:

What else happens in December?
    Strictly final?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

They can't.

This UN site suggests that our 16 and 17 year olds in the forces are classed as 'child soldiers'.

https://childrenandarmedconflict.un.org/six-grave-violations/child-soldiers/

Definition of a child soldier
    A child associated with an armed force or armed group refers to any person below 18 years of age who is, or who has been, recruited or used by an armed force or armed group in any capacity, including but not limited to children, boys and girls, used as fighters, cooks, porters, spies or for sexual purposes.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019

I'm no longer a PB Tory, but yes of course:

VEUC: What the hell has choosing the government of the UK got to do with foreigners?

VAS: The international definition of a child is under 18. We don't allow children to sign contracts, sue or be sued, open a bank account, get married without parental consent, buy alcohol or cigarettes, buy fireworks, watch certain films, own land, or get a mortgage. All of these restrictions have in common that children are not considered able to form their own mature judgements. It therefore follows that they are not mature enough to vote.

See? Simple, wasn't it? If you are going to disagree, you really have to disagree with all of the above restrictions, because they go together.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:
    It is not Bercow, it is Lindsay Hoyle's decision
  • Options
    Brom said:

Something the UK had to change to comply with international law on under 18s being children, and therefore child soldiers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:
    I get the impression that the SNP and Lib Dems are prepared for an election with or without these amendments. Meanwhile the two largest parties bicker.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

SunnyJim said:

RobD said:

They can't.

This UN site suggests that our 16 and 17 year olds in the forces are classed as 'child soldiers'.

https://childrenandarmedconflict.un.org/six-grave-violations/child-soldiers/

Definition of a child soldier
    A child associated with an armed force or armed group refers to any person below 18 years of age who is, or who has been, recruited or used by an armed force or armed group in any capacity, including but not limited to children, boys and girls, used as fighters, cooks, porters, spies or for sexual purposes.
    It has long been the UN definition/age. As brought into stark relief for example in Rwanda. Romeo Dallaire's books on this are required reading.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

The Tories should accept the amendments. Let’s do it! Vas and Veuc, all-in, an election for every citizen!

Thousands says it all! So you think a Romanian living in the UK for a few years should get to vote both in both a UK General election and a Romanian election? Essentially any foreigner living in the UK wouldn't need to take up citizenship and could have a say in how 2 countries were run.
    Not "any foreigner". Citizens of 24 EU member states would be added to citizens of Cyprus, Malta, the Republic of Ireland, India, Pakistan, Australia, etc., who already can vote in all elections here.

And should not be allowed to.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,156
    Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Saying that 16 and 17-year-olds shouldn’t be allowed to vote because some are immature and not politically engaged is the same as saying that over 80s shouldn’t be allowed to vote because some have dementia.
  • Options

VEUC: What the hell has choosing the government of the UK got to do with foreigners?

VAS: The international definition of a child is under 18. We don't allow children to sign contracts, sue or be sued, open a bank account, get married without parental consent, buy alcohol or cigarettes, buy fireworks, watch certain films, own land, or get a mortgage. All of these restrictions have in common that children are not considered able to form their own mature judgements. It therefore follows that they are not mature enough to vote.

See? Simple, wasn't it? If you are going to disagree, you really have to disagree with all of the above restrictions, because they go together.
    We should standardise on either 16 or 18 for adulthood. Whichever it is, it should be done with full consultation and consideration, with at least a five year delay if it affects voting.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DeClare said:

Actually - having spent many years as a councillor visiting sixth formers in schools - you are wrong. 16 and 17 year olds are, generalising, very engaged. Disengagement sets in once they leave school and it’s the twentysomethings who are closer to what you describe.
    That accords with my experience, too.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Ms Swinson is off at the hairdressers. @Richard_Nabavi insisted yesterday, that she should get a hairstyle he approves of.

Now I understand, it was a cunning ruse to derail Parliament by making her miss crucial votes...

:D:D
    I do wish some on here would grow up.
    Some people on here need to lighten up.

The whole political situation has reached the stage of farcical comedy and it was you who brought up the subject of her washing her hair.

Pot. Kettle.
    When have I ever mentioned her washing her hair?

Edit - Sorry that was me just now! Hadn’t even noticed it as it’s just everyday language.
    It happens to all of us sooner or later. :)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900

On Votes for EU citizens. People should not have the vote on the future of our country if they have no long term interest in its success. If their intent is to remain in Britain permanently then they should become British citizens and gain the vote that way. If they are not willing to do that then they should not be voting on our future. I would also remove the franchise fron anyone living outside the UK for more than 5 years. It can be restored if and when thry resettle.

On votes at 16. An election is akin to a contract. I would consider changing to 16 if we also changed every other law surrounding age of consent including jury service and the right to enter into contracts. And drinking, smoking and driving. Funnily enough although this may not include you, lots of people in favour of votes at 16 balk at the idea of having a 16 year old drive a car or sit in judgement on them on a jury.
    But these are not all allowed at the same age now. Smoking is allowed from 16 and driving is 17. 16 year olds do not have full legal rights but they are cretainly allowed to sign a contract.

And finally voting is not a contract.
  • Options

Pierrot said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Careful. Remember Enoch Powell considered ethnic Indians to be more intelligent than White Europeans.
  • Options
    Pierrot said:

VEUC would lose the Tories the election. Will VAS and VEUC really go through, wham, committee stage treated as a formality? What a coup!

This is Labour we are talking about. They might THINK it would be a whizzo wheeze to hurt the Tories. But in reality, their game playing with the electorate will likely prove a net negative. It is just the sort of issue that will swing Brexit voters to the Tories. You know, the Brexit Party currently at around 12% in the polls....
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Not true, under 18 year olds are not allowed in combat situations.
    Apologies. It used to be the case, clearly I am out of date. Still, I remain a supporter of Vas as a means of engaging youngsters in civic life.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Brom said:

Something the UK had to change to comply with international law on under 18s being children, and therefore child soldiers.
    Gone are the days where we can send waves and waves of 16 year olds over the top. Sad times.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited October 2019
    Brom said:

OllyT said:

Brom said:

Chris said:

Brom said:

RobD said:

Sure, but you'll only get one after you fight the general election. Why are you so scared of that?
    Because a GE won't resolve the problem whereas a referendum will.

The people who oppose a referendum but want a GE are those "democrats" who want to bulldoze their way through on 35% of the vote because they know they can't win 50% in a referendum anymore (and never would have if they had been required to spell out what Brexit actually meant before we voted).

The last time we had a GE supposedly to resolve the Brexit issue by giving a mandate to May's plan. When she lost her majority we were then told it had nothing to do with Brexit. Leavers would pull exactly the same stunt this time if Bozo fails like May did
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

We should standardise on either 16 or 18 for adulthood. Whichever it is, it should be done with full consultation and consideration, with at least a five year delay if it affects voting.
    Not sure of the delay but one Bill affecting all adult rights seems sensible. Hard to argue against.

And in EU nationals, again why just the EU? Wouldn’t be for Labour electoral advantage would it? Scared of the settled, right wing US or Aussie views.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Why 'at least five years' ?

I entirely understand the point about an election to be held in about a month's time, but that seems arbitrarily silly.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Saying that 16 and 17-year-olds shouldn’t be allowed to vote because some are immature and not politically engaged is the same as saying that over 80s shouldn’t be allowed to vote because some have dementia.
    Doesn't that also apply to 15 year olds or 13 year olds? There will always be some mature and some immature. The question is when the maturity step change happens. 18 seems to be the best one to me, as that is when most start working full time or living alone at university.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    DeClare said:

Most people in the country at large are more concerned with love Island than who is in number 10. Whether 16 years know enough about politics is irrelevant to the question unless we are planning a test for all citizens before they can vote to make sure everyone knows their Erskine May from their Theresa May.
  • Options

See? Simple, wasn't it?
    Very simple. You're in favour of sex with children being legal.
  • Options

Ms Swinson is off at the hairdressers. @Richard_Nabavi insisted yesterday, that she should get a hairstyle he approves of.

Now I understand, it was a cunning ruse to derail Parliament by making her miss crucial votes...

:D:D
    I do wish some on here would grow up.
    Some people on here need to lighten up.

The whole political situation has reached the stage of farcical comedy and it was you who brought up the subject of her washing her hair.

Pot. Kettle.
    When have I ever mentioned her washing her hair?

Edit - Sorry that was me just now! Hadn’t even noticed it as it’s just everyday language.
    It happens to all of us sooner or later. :)
    It’s irrefutable evidence I’ve gotten old!
  • Options
    God almighty, is this bloody election happening in December or not ?

What a generation of political pygmies we have.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Gabs2 said:

I entirely understand the point about an election to be held in about a month's time, but that seems arbitrarily silly.
    5 years is the maximum time between elections. It means no parliament can change the rules to get reelected.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited October 2019
    I fully support 16 year olds being able to vote. Just so long as they also get the rights to do things that they are not allowed to do. That includes:

- Be on the battlefront in wars
    - Drive
    - Smoke
    - Drink alcohol
    - Be on juries
    - Leave full time education
    - Have credit cards
    - Gamble
    - Marry without parental consent
    - Get tattoos

Unless you support 16 year olds being able to do all of the above then you shouldn't support votes at 16.

The only reason anyone supports votes at 16 is for gerrymandering purposes.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    OllyT said:

Brom said:

OllyT said:

Brom said:

Chris said:

Brom said:

RobD said:

Because a GE won't resolve the problem whereas a referendum will.

The people who oppose a referendum but want a GE are those "democrats" who want to bulldoze their way through on 35% of the vote because they know they can't win 50% in a referendum anymore (and never would have if they had been required to spell out what Brexit actually meant before we voted).
    There was no route to a second referendum in this House of Commons this is probably the only way to bring about some form of resolution.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Weeeeeell, now you mention it.

Your argument could of course be made about 12 and 13 year olds. The cut-off is arbitrary to some degree. It is a matter of judgement as to where the cut-off applies, and my feeling is that 18 is about right.

Most of the world would appear to agree with me.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    DeClare said:

The average 16 year old will defer to their parents on politics !!

Are you a big "Happy Days" fan?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

Brom said:

Gone are the days where we can send waves and waves of 16 year olds over the top. Sad times.
    It is a shame because they present smaller targets to the enemy.

That’s why we won WW1 - in the end it was just the 14 year olds left, dodging under the bullets.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What a miserable contribution from IOW MP Bob Seely. Another stumbling over his words which leads me to wonder what he had with today’s lunch.

And when he decides to say no to members opposite, he inexplicably slips into Russian.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DeClare said:

The average 16 year old will defer to their parents on politics !!

Yes, someone either didn't have kids or had some very unusual ones. :smile:
  • Options
    Chris said:

Pierrot said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Careful. Remember Enoch Powell considered ethnic Indians to be more intelligent than White Europeans.
    A good argument against if ever there was one. Standing on the other side of the argement from Powell is never a bad place to be in most cases.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    On the youth: a little anecdote from years ago. I was walking the hound. There was a gang talking in low voices in a playground. I passed by. And was astounding they were discussing politics.

They were unimpressed with Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    The DUP didn't vote in the previous division, but I assume all 10 of them would be against votes at 16.

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/732?byMember=false#notrecorded
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

But these are not all allowed at the same age now. Smoking is allowed from 16 and driving is 17. 16 year olds do not have full legal rights but they are cretainly allowed to sign a contract.

Can't spark up a cheroot 'till your 18, old bean.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Can anyone tell me what time we'll get the results of the votes in Parliament today? I'd rather avoid the proceedings all day for the sake of my blood pressure and the integrity of my computer screen. Thanks!
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

The age of consent for everything should be 17 and then people who have had at least 1 year's experience of adult life can qualify to vote at 18.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:
    There will be a lot of MPs deciding their vote for the next Speaker on the basis of what he decides..... If these changes get through...bye bye Speaker Hoyle.

Just sayin', Lindsay.....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

God almighty, is this bloody election happening in December or not ?

What a generation of political pygmies we have.

I prefer to think of them as groundhogs.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Smoking is now 18.

Voting us as important if not more important than signing a contract. Or at least we should consider it so. Yhe vhanges you dupport woukd cheapen it even further.
  • Options
    Overall majority:

Con 2 / 2.02
    No overall maj 2.24 / 2.26

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.136297311
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Nigelb said:

Gabs2 said:

5 years is the maximum time between elections. It means no parliament can change the rules to get reelected.
    LOL. The votes of sixteen year olds are not going to determine an election in that manner.
  • Options
    I guess the DUP aren't particularly keen on an election but are they against the gerrymandering attempt to get kids and foreigners added to vote at the General Election? What about the former Tories etc?

These are wrecking gerrymandering amendments and should stand or fall on their own.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,734
    MarqueeMark says: "There will be a lot of MPs deciding their vote for the next Speaker on the basis of what he decides..... If these changes get through...bye bye Speaker Hoyle.

Just sayin', Lindsay....."

Let`s hope he`s reading PB!
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:
    There will be a lot of MPs deciding their vote for the next Speaker on the basis of what he decides..... If these changes get through...bye bye Speaker Hoyle.

Just sayin', Lindsay.....
    If they pass then no GE on 9th - 12th Dec
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

What a miserable contribution from IOW MP Bob Seely. Another stumbling over his words which leads me to wonder what he had with today’s lunch.

I imagine today has seen some VERY liquid lunches with demob happy soon-to-be ex-MPs.....
  • Options

Chris said:

Pierrot said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

A good argument against if ever there was one. Standing on the other side of the argement from Powell is never a bad place to be in most cases.
    Never in most cases?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

IanB2 said:

I imagine today has seen some VERY liquid lunches with demob happy soon-to-be ex-MPs.....
    Until they sober up and find the election is off because all parties want one, but no parties want one.
  • Options
    Its actually quite shocking that some of these MPs don’t appear to be sober.
This discussion has been closed.