Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s phantom majority: why we’re heading for a Christmas

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Talking heads on BBC think MV will fail

If the MV fails, Boris will have lost it when Geoffrey Cox opened that infamous debate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    DUP sources complaining no one treats them as super special enough, shocker.

Yes, they've been thrown under the bus, but they are so bloody self righteous, they act like how could anyone possibly act other than they want them to, when they just sit there and bellow out no over and over again.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397

I'm going against the crowd and the media pundits on this. I reckon the Letwin amendment makes an October 31st exit with the deal more likely, indeed very likely.

The reason I say this is that I think that people are missing one small but hugely important point about how the EU would react to a request today under the Benn Act for an extension. There is no chance of them giving an instant answer. They have no obligation to respond promptly to an Article 50 request. Even in 'normal' circumstances, it would take them some time to go through the procedures of consultation followed by a formal Council summit (even if the latter is done by conference call).

But these are not normal circumstances at all. They can see the parliamentary position as well as we can. They want to get this deal done, if only in the hope of moving on from the debilitating psychodrama, but also to end the business uncertainty for a while at least. They know that accepting the extension would quite possibly mean that things drag on. Equally they know that refusing the extension might lead to the disaster of a no-deal crash out. So what do they do?

Answer: nothing. They reply to Boris saying they note the request, and will respond once they've made a decision. And then sit on their hands. After all, they have over a week before they have to make a decision. They will also probably repeat that they hope the UK can agree the deal in time for the 31st. Macron and perhaps a few others say they are minded to refuse an extension.

Meanwhile, Boris tries again to get his deal through parliament. This time, with the extension issue in the EU's hands, MPs have a straight decision: back the deal, or either a no-deal crash out or an extension might happen, completely outside parliament's control by this stage. Letwin and the rebel alliance have shot their bolt, admittedly having obtained an insurance policy to stop no-deal, but it's an insurance policy which they can't be sure will be honoured. At the same time, Boris can address the concern which Letwin was worried about, by introducing the full legislation to ratify. Crucially, the EU don't need to respond to the extension request until AFTER that legislation is in place (or definitively rejected). That uncertainty makes the deal more likely to pass.

The argument against that is that Boris, despite having very much a minority government and despite disappointing the DUP, has somehow managed to build a momentum behind this deal and the desire to get this done. If he loses today on the Letwin amendment I find it almost impossible to believe that he could rebuild that momentum for next week. The fragile confluence of interests that he has put together would not hold. He needs to win today or he will not win before a GE.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067
    edited October 2019

If Johnson's deal fails by only a few votes, or the Lettwin amendment is carried by only a few votes, I think there is a good prospect that the EU will formally reject the request for an extension in order to force parliament to go back and adopt Johnson's deal. It is even conceivable that we could leave on 31st October without a deal, only to see the deal adopted in the first days of November.

The latest polls showing the public swinging further behind Johnson will I think harden the EU's resolve to try and nail down Johnson's deal now rather than leave things up in the air until after a GE.

The Great British Public is, as the saying goes, fed up to the left tit with the whole business. When it was asked it voted, albeit by a small majority, to Leave. Since then, as far as it is concerned the House of Commons has farted about and got nowhere.
    I voted Remain, I’d happily Revoke the Article 50 letter, but I fully understand why people want it over. Somehow. If out is the only way forward, then out.
    Since I don’t trust Boris, Rees-Mogg, Patel et al further than I can spit upwind I expect that Leaving under their, and especially Boris’ ‘leadership’ is almost certain to be a total disaster for anyone not involved in financial shenanigans. However I fear that our only course is to Leave, with the hope of Rejoining when the majority realises what an awful mess we are in.
  • Options
    We have had the drama of passing by 1 and an actual tie on some Brexit votes. Our cup runneth over.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,430
    https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1185541283135344640

Stopping say 'source' when we can all tell from the belligerent nature of the words that it has to be Cummings.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    edited October 2019
    DavidL said:

I find Grieve incredibly disingenuous

I accept the principle that the British people voted to leave but I reject each deal that the UK government has been able to negotiate and leaving without a deal at all.
    disingenuous and incoherent
    (edit: not you but DG of course!)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Would we each have a chance to win a cuddly toy?

Trying to somehow cheat the referendum isn't the way to go. The LDs actually now have a sensible policy. Stand for what you believe, and that stance is to override the referendum explicitly.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Cash supports deal

Wait until he finds out that the WAIB delays the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Vox pops of Bury interesting - people essentially going native to whether their area is leave or remain I reckon.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

DavidL said:

I find Grieve incredibly disingenuous

I accept the principle that the British people voted to leave but I reject each deal that the UK government has been able to negotiate and leaving without a deal at all.
    disingenuous and incoherent
    Just plain dishonest. I would have more respect if he simply admitted that his position is that the people got it wrong and he knew better.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Sandpit, cheers.

If Japan can beat the Springboks, they'll be up against Wales or France, and have a chance of beating either. Hope they can do well.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Be nice if Letwin is a tie and Bercow has to vote against it
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    MV now 1.57 to fall, on Betfair. 2.72 to pass.

What do we reckon, that it passes if the amendment falls, and vice versa?
  • Options
    Deal now has 11 Labour MPs if I have followed this correctly.

The xtra one over the FT estimate makes up for loss of Norman Lamb.

So all down to whether there are more Lab and/or whether all indie conservatives back it (so far Greening and Letwin out I think)?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Sandbach is good value.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MV now 1.57 to fall, on Betfair. 2.72 to pass.

What do we reckon, that it passes if the amendment falls, and vice versa?

If Letwin passes it sounds like the BF market will void as there will be no motion put due to lack of a teller or something vaguely victorian like that.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    That’s what I wondered

The DUP votes against Letwin and against the deal
  • Options
    Are they voting at 2.30 then? #SuperSaturday
  • Options
    Liz Roberts misses her Plaid slot.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

For the LOLs that would be hilarious.
  • Options
    One of the positives of the next Parliament is that Anna Soubry will not be in it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1185541283135344640

Stopping say 'source' when we can all tell from the belligerent nature of the words that it has to be Cummings.

His “source” was the No 10 twitter account !!

😂
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    According to the Guardian, Jared O.Mara has turned up!
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Stocky said:

"Has to" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.
  • Options
    Anna Sourpuss: “Let’s get Brexit done” - by abdicating responsibility and having a second referendum.
  • Options
    Next Lab leader now speaking?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    Oh goody, Rebecca Long-Bailey winding up for Labour
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Well done Theresa May for speaking in favour of the Boris Deal, if it passes much of the credit must still go to her for negotiating most of it
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

If Letwin passes it sounds like the BF market will void as there will be no motion put due to lack of a teller or something vaguely victorian like that.

Depends - the initial threat on Letwin was the Tories would pull the vote or abstain. However they'll have been phoning various European/EU leaders since, and if they get a commitment to delay an extension reply until later next week, the vote probably goes ahead. They can pass the various bits of legislation next week under the threat of no extension.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of the positives of the next Parliament is that Anna Soubry will not be in it.

A most unpleasant woman. Was she the one bemoaning "the posh boys" Osborne and Cameron? I wonder if she yearns now for the days before Brexit when they were in charge?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    justin124 said:

According to the Guardian, Jared O.Mara has turned up!

"Hi, been away for a while, how have things been going outside the EU?"
  • Options
    Stocky said:
    "Be nice if Letwin is a tie and Bercow has to vote against it"

imagine the uproar if he broke president and voted for it! Wouldn`t put it past him.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A most unpleasant woman. Was she the one bemoaning "the posh boys" Osborne and Cameron? I wonder if she yearns now for the days before Brexit when they were in charge?
    No, you’re confusing her with Nadine Dorries.
  • Options
    Where's Jeremy? I was joking about the black tape earlier.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Stocky said:

"Has to" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.
    Speaker Dennisons Rule is crystal clear on that point! If he were to break that rule at that point it would be a constitutional outrage greater than any he has done yet.

So indeed he might break the rule.
  • Options
    Soames voting against - is this a surpirse - I thought he was in the Yes column?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167

So the first consequence of the Tory rupture with unionism in Northern Ireland could be Johnson having to ask for an extension.

The Tory rupture with the DUP is NOT a rupture with Unionism as Trimble's support for the Boris Deal confirms
  • Options
    Planning to lock the DUP in the loos? Makes sense to pick them off one by one.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No, you’re confusing her with Nadine Dorries.
    You're right thanks. Another unpleasant individual.
  • Options

She's a bit lightweight isn't she ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

Vote's not far away now then?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Soames voting against - is this a surpirse - I thought he was in the Yes column?

He is anti Letwin and for the deal
  • Options
    That's a pleasant surprise. I expected he'd vote for both.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited October 2019
    Hard to see Letwin passing if Sir Nicholas is voting against it?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    HYUFD said:

So the first consequence of the Tory rupture with unionism in Northern Ireland could be Johnson having to ask for an extension.

The Tory rupture with the DUP is NOT a rupture with Unionism as Trimble's support for the Boris Deal confirms
    Trimble is a Conservative.
  • Options
    Boris is back
  • Options

I have just seen Nigel Evans say he has never "worked" on a Saturday since becoming an MP

:D:D

Poor him... unlike millions of others

And millions don't. I'm all for mocking MPs for bemoaning their jobs, but I don't really get what point you are making.
  • Options

Do we now get to talk about how remainers should feel ashamed to have parted from “Churchill’s grandson”?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Effectively just pairing though, if you have to have one Aye leave with them.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    GIN1138 said:

Hard to see Letwin passing if Sir Nicholas is voting against it?

Totally depends on the DUP I think.

• Options
    McDonnell looking on like a concerned father at the school play.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,360
    HYUFD said:

Well done Theresa May for speaking in favour of the Boris Deal, if it passes much of the credit must still go to her for negotiating most of it

Classic hard cop soft cop.

May cuts a tough deal then Johnson plays the nice guy and compromises.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

a bit?

Complete and utter. How anyone can view her as the potential leader of a Brownie pack let alone a political party I have no idea.

I was going to type 'major political party' but if she is the best that Labour can offer, it has ceased to be a major anything other than an embarrassment

• Options

I'm going against the crowd and the media pundits on this. I reckon the Letwin amendment makes an October 31st exit with the deal more likely, indeed very likely.

The reason I say this is that I think that people are missing one small but hugely important point about how the EU would react to a request today under the Benn Act for an extension. There is no chance of them giving an instant answer. They have no obligation to respond promptly to an Article 50 request. Even in 'normal' circumstances, it would take them some time to go through the procedures of consultation followed by a formal Council summit (even if the latter is done by conference call).

But these are not normal circumstances at all. They can see the parliamentary position as well as we can. They want to get this deal done, if only in the hope of moving on from the debilitating psychodrama, but also to end the business uncertainty for a while at least. They know that accepting the extension would quite possibly mean that things drag on. Equally they know that refusing the extension might lead to the disaster of a no-deal crash out. So what do they do?

Answer: nothing. They reply to Boris saying they note the request, and will respond once they've made a decision. And then sit on their hands. After all, they have over a week before they have to make a decision. They will also probably repeat that they hope the UK can agree the deal in time for the 31st. Macron and perhaps a few others say they are minded to refuse an extension.

Meanwhile, Boris tries again to get his deal through parliament. This time, with the extension issue in the EU's hands, MPs have a straight decision: back the deal, or either a no-deal crash out or an extension might happen, completely outside parliament's control by this stage. Letwin and the rebel alliance have shot their bolt, admittedly having obtained an insurance policy to stop no-deal, but it's an insurance policy which they can't be sure will be honoured. At the same time, Boris can address the concern which Letwin was worried about, by introducing the full legislation to ratify. Crucially, the EU don't need to respond to the extension request until AFTER that legislation is in place (or definitively rejected). That uncertainty makes the deal more likely to pass.

I think that's a bit too convoluted to be a plan - the sides in this react with a focus on 5 minutes from now, no more.
  • Options
    Gove smacking it out the park. Won't change anything of course but he's good.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

HYUFD said:

+1 Indeed Trimble is now a Conservative peer (for over a decade). I always think highly of him but think he is wrong on Brexit.
  • Options
  • Options
    By my reckoning the Letwin Amendment will pass - anyone disagree?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Meanwhile, UKIP are doing a good job of uniting the country...

Who?
  • Options

a bit?

Complete and utter. How anyone can view her as the potential leader of a Brownie pack let alone a political party I have no idea.

I was going to type 'major political party' but if she is the best that Labour can offer, it has ceased to be a major anything other than an embarrassment

She just read out her speech. Compare with Gove in action now.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,407

a bit?

Disagree, it’s a major shambles as well as embarrassment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

+1 Indeed Trimble is now a Conservative peer (for over a decade). I always think highly of him but think he is wrong on Brexit.
    He’s also a 90s-era Eurosceptic. He’s chosen loyalty to that tribe over loyalty to the unionists.
  • Options

a bit?

Night and day. Her presentational style is appalling.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    DavidL said:

Beauty, as always, seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kle4 said:

I have just seen Nigel Evans say he has never "worked" on a Saturday since becoming an MP

:D:D

Poor him... unlike millions of others

And millions don't. I'm all for mocking MPs for bemoaning their jobs, but I don't really get what point you are making.
    I just found it a bit rich to moan about working a Saturday after 27 years of not doing it....
  • Options
    v good from Gove so far.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Does anyone have the exact wording of the Letwin amendment to hand?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Very difficult to say.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

kle4 said:

Effectively just pairing though, if you have to have one Aye leave with them.
    IDS will be back after taking care of Wilson no doubt. The quiet assassin.
  • Options

Amendment (a)
    Sir Oliver Letwin
    Hilary Benn
    Jo Swinson
    Liz Saville Roberts
    Stephen Gethins
    Mr David Gauke
    Margaret Beckett Dr Phillip Lee Nick Boles
    Mr Sam Gyimah Tom Brake Mr Dominic Grieve
    Mr Philip Hammond Anna Soubry
    Line 3, leave out from “deal,” to end and add “this House has considered the matter
    but withholds approval unless and until implementing legislation is passed.”.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

HYUFD said:

He’s also a 90s-era Eurosceptic. He’s chosen loyalty to that tribe over loyalty to the unionists.
    He is a moderate, given by the fact he agreed the GFA. But he rejected May's deal.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Beauty, as always, seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
    I am really talking about the style than the substance. Of course we have different views on that but as a public speaker the contrast between this and RLB is just painful.
  • Options

a bit?

And Starmer earlier.
  • Options
  • Options

Amendment (a)
    Sir Oliver Letwin
    Hilary Benn
    Jo Swinson
    Liz Saville Roberts
    Stephen Gethins
    Mr David Gauke
    Line 3, leave out from “deal,” to end and add “this House has considered the matter
    Yes, I see what Letwin means about the motion still being indicative approval when that is added. Makes total sense.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Amendment (a)
    Sir Oliver Letwin
    Hilary Benn
    Jo Swinson
    Liz Saville Roberts
    Stephen Gethins
    Mr David Gauke
    Thank you!!
  • Options

https://mobile.
    twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1185108039889805312/photo/1
  • Options
    There is a Batfair market entitled: "UK - Brexit - How many MPs will vote 'Aye' on Brexit motion?" Odds are curiously low on 199 or less (10/1). 200-209 = 100/1.

Is there an opportunity here? - I think some smart punters have twigged that if Tories leave the chamber the MV vote still proceeds and "aye" will consequently be very low.

Thoughts?

• Options
    Division! Clear the lobby!

Letwin first
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Division. Clear the lobbies.

Edit: wizardry from JB below.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Stocky said:

It would be very surprising if it doesn't pass.
  • Options
    Here we go....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Lol. After months of saying that the EU would never accept Northern Ireland outside being full members of the Customs Union, it is now a softer deal.
  • Options
    Presumably...
  • Options
    Jeez, will they just wrap it up already, it's embarrsasing.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Labour MUST call a VONC if Letwin passes. Now or never.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

a bit?

Night and day. Her presentational style is appalling.
    She gives the impression of not understanding what she’s reading, she’s just saying what’s on the page in front of her. Big contrast with Michael Gove, who’s always very good on his feet.
  • Options

Labour MUST call a VONC if Letwin passes. Now or never.

He is frit
  • Options

It appears the independent Tories have split into two groups. Soames types will rejoin, but Letwin types have burned their bridges.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Stocky said:

It would be very surprising if it doesn't pass.
    Following this thread there were a few comments it might not, but from when it was announced there seemed little doubt among the general view of the commentariat. Unless the DUP actively vote it down it looks like a pass to me, and I don't know why they would do that nor were they even stated to be considering it. I look forward to being proven wrong.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Lol. After months of saying that the EU would never accept Northern Ireland outside being full members of the Customs Union, it is now a softer deal.
    The EU always said that alternative arrangements could replace the backstop. Johnson gave up on the alternative arrangements and chose a permanent framework that separates Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Has Bercow gone 5 hours in the chair without going for a pee?
This discussion has been closed.