Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s phantom majority: why we’re heading for a Christmas

Comments

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Stocky said:

There is a Batfair market entitled: "UK - Brexit - How many MPs will vote 'Aye' on Brexit motion?" Odds are curiously low on 199 or less (10/1). 200-209 = 100/1.

"For the purpose of this market any vote on amendments do not count."

Total opposite to the main MV market today :-)
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    kle4 said:

Jeez, will they just wrap it up already, it's embarrsasing.
    They are competing with the Brexit Party in being a laughing stick, after they started backing the Benn act and extension
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    DavidL said:

Oh goody, Rebecca Long-Bailey winding up for Labour

She's a bit lightweight isn't she ?
    a bit?

Complete and utter. How anyone can view her as the potential leader of a Brownie pack let alone a political party I have no idea.

I was going to type 'major political party' but if she is the best that Labour can offer, it has ceased to be a major anything other than an embarrassment

She just read out her speech. Compare with Gove in action now.
    Night and day. Her presentational style is appalling.
    If Labour lose the next general election and Corbyn goes and Long-Bailey replaces him hard to see the LDs not overtaking them
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

Jeez, will they just wrap it up already, it's embarrsasing.
    They are competing with the Brexit Party in being a laughing stick, after they started backing the Benn act and extension
    Sure, but BXP still have lots of support and Farage at least has a grip on things.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    DUP to vote for Letwin amendment apparently
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    DUP backing Letwin
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899

Labour MUST call a VONC if Letwin passes. Now or never.

He is frit
    Lol your guy is held hostage.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Here we go....

I always find it amusing when Bercow calls a vote! It seems to be a quirk of our parliament. I wonder what people from other countries think when the hear him bellow "clear the lobbies"?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,518

DUP backing Letwin

I think that means it passes
  • Options
    edited October 2019

DUP backing Letwin

That's that then - shake hands to close play early, and come back on Monday?

Next step is to see how No.10 play this - it is a stop brexit amendment (not from Letwin, but from most of the others backing it), so how apoplectic will they play it?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    DUP backing Letwin. Surely it'll pass.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Andrew said:

Stocky said:

There is a Batfair market entitled: "UK - Brexit - How many MPs will vote 'Aye' on Brexit motion?" Odds are curiously low on 199 or less (10/1). 200-209 = 100/1.

That just means that the number of votes is on the substantive motion, whether or not it gets amended - rather than the votes for the amendment.
  • Options

DUP to vote for Letwin amendment apparently

So we are back to see what Macron et al have to say.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140

I think barring a very unexpected accident this deal will be ratified now. Possibly after a general election. But I think Brexit has won and Boris Johnson has won.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,391
    Can we tell what the DUP did on Letwin? Sammy sounded as if he was opposed.
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 902
    edited October 2019
    Sky reporting DUP support Letwin
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Well done Theresa May for speaking in favour of the Boris Deal, if it passes much of the credit must still go to her for negotiating most of it

Classic hard cop soft cop.

May cuts a tough deal then Johnson plays the nice guy and compromises.
    Lol. After months of saying that the EU would never accept Northern Ireland outside being full members of the Customs Union, it is now a softer deal.
    The EU always said that alternative arrangements could replace the backstop. Johnson gave up on the alternative arrangements and chose a permanent framework that separates Northern Ireland.
    which was in exchange for Varadkars very large concession on allowing for consent to be included.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Voted for Letwin
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    kle4 said:

DUP backing Letwin

That's that then - shake hands to close play early, and come back on Monday?
    Might nip over to Liverpool to watch the hero
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He said he'd be "strategic"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I didn’t realise Batten wasn’t leader! 😂
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The BBC is taking his comment "We would be failing in our duty if we did not use every strategy" to defeat the deal as an indication they would back Letwin.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited October 2019
    Sandpit said:

"Andrew said:
    » show previous quotes

That just means that the number of votes is on the substantive motion, whether or not it gets amended - rather than the votes for the amendment."

Yes, Sandpit, that`s how I understood it. Hence, if government walks out prior to vote on the mothion the number voting "aye" will certainly be less than 199 - which explains the odds anamoly that I pointed out.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Voted for Letwin
    I can't see the government winning without them.
  • Options
    Chris said:

I think barring a very unexpected accident this deal will be ratified now. Possibly after a general election. But I think Brexit has won and Boris Johnson has won.
    Brexit has won. 17.4 million votes.

It only depends upon whether Remainer MPs honour democracy or not. They have no excuse of blaming Leavers for rejecting a deal anymore.
  • Options
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

The BBC is taking his comment "We would be failing in our duty if we did not use every strategy" to defeat the deal as an indication they would back Letwin.
    Well Letwin is a way to defeat the deal, that's why Labour are backing it, so their taking it that way makes sense.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,396

Has Bercow gone 5 hours in the chair without going for a pee?

MPs are taking the piss so effectively that he doesn’t need to go anywhere.
  • Options
    Not that I expect them to, but do any DUP MPs ever rebel?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

"Andrew said:
    » show previous quotes

That just means that the number of votes is on the substantive motion, whether or not it gets amended - rather than the votes for the amendment."

Yes, Sandpit, that`s how I understood it. Hence, if government walks out prior to vote on the mothion the number voting "aye" will certainly be less than 199 - which explains the odds anamoly that I pointed out.

Yes, I see it the same way.
    No to the substantive motion is now 1.6 on BF Ex - if the amendment passes it should go a lot shorter.

100 Tory abstentions will of course make your 199 or fewer a winner too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not AFAIK. They view operating as a bloc as a strength.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

"Andrew said:
    » show previous quotes

Laura K suggested earlier there will quite literally not be a vote, not necessarily one with absentions
  • Options
    So once again the HOC fails to make a decision. Farcical. We really need a GE
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2019
    The public are going to see this, hear there is more delay and just go FFS....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Well Letwin is a way to defeat the deal, that's why Labour are backing it, so their taking it that way makes sense.
    To you, maybe.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Chris said:

Yes, this is clear.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Well everybody does, but even with only 10 MPs one would think someone would disagree every now and then, they aren't automatons.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,396
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Oh goody, Rebecca Long-Bailey winding up for Labour

She's a bit lightweight isn't she ?
    a bit?

Complete and utter. How anyone can view her as the potential leader of a Brownie pack let alone a political party I have no idea.

I was going to type 'major political party' but if she is the best that Labour can offer, it has ceased to be a major anything other than an embarrassment

She just read out her speech. Compare with Gove in action now.
    Night and day. Her presentational style is appalling.
    If Labour lose the next general election and Corbyn goes and Long-Bailey replaces him hard to see the LDs not overtaking them
    You’re optimistic. Hard to see the Greens and the Official Monster Raving Loony Party not overtaking them.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    sounds like Letwin will win for sure.
  • Options
    So they are going to refuse to vote for anything yet again. I am so sick of this and this Parliament.
  • Options
    Conservative mp admitting they have lost the vote
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well everybody does, but even with only 10 MPs one would think someone would disagree every now and then, they aren't automatons.
    Yes but AFAIK they're quite fanatical about it so don't divide between themselves.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    DavidL said:

So they are going to refuse to vote for anything yet again. I am so sick of this and this Parliament.

So is everybody else.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbit: "Laura K suggested earlier there will quite literally not be a vote, not necessarily one with absentions"

Too late to pull vote surely. Even if it does get pulled worst case scenario on that Beftfair market would be a void bet I think.
  • Options

Which would now be a Tory landslide if Letwin passes and the Deal is then voted down
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    DavidL said:

12 days before our legal departure, and they're still playing silly games.
  • Options
    All Your Bets Void Now According To Us
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

The public are going to see this, hear there is more delay and just go FFS....

Tomorrow’s tabloid front pages are going to be brutal...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

No, forget the detail, the momentum is with this Deal. It will pass either today or very soon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The DUP march together...

... usually behind a flute band.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    DavidL said:

Oh give over. Once the bill is published they can vote on the actual legislation.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

Yes, this is clear.
    Because the Tory party appears to be united behind the deal now - including the ex-Tories who were expelled over the Benn Act - with very few exceptions. The big problem in executing Brexit all along has been the fact that the Tories were so divided. That doesn't apply now.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    2.94 on December election looks tasty if this amendment passes.

This rotten and indecisive Parliament doesn’t deserve to continue.
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

To you, maybe.
    Well we shall in a few minutes if that was right - given their comments about using every strategy to defeat the deal, we will know if they voted for Letwin it was because they view it as a way to defeat the deal. I will happily apologise for being wrong about Letwin being a strategy to defeat the deal as far as the opposition is concerned if the DUP vote for it. If they don't then we take them at their word, and I was right it was used as a strategy to defeat the deal.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kinabalu said:

No, forget the detail, the momentum is with this Deal. It will pass either today or very soon.
    Well I think that is the public sentiment, but we will now need Macron et al to come up with yet another plan to stop MPs playing silly buggers yet again. Another unconditional extension won't solve this but ones with conditions could also anger the pubic / enable MPs to piss about again.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Indeed and I think Macron will say that too. A quick short Non to be released shortly.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Stocky said:

TheWhiteRabbit: "Laura K suggested earlier there will quite literally not be a vote, not necessarily one with absentions"

Too late to pull vote surely. Even if it does get pulled worst case scenario on that Beftfair market would be a void bet I think.

AIUI if the government doesn’t put up any tellers there can’t be a vote.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

All on the EU. If they only grant a short extension or refuse one then MPs will have to vote for something next week.

If they grant until January 2020 then they can kick the can a bit more.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Doors locked for a while now. Bercow, whips and JRM having a chat.

Surely it's not a tie, if the DUP are Noes?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

To you, maybe.
    Well we shall in a few minutes if that was right - given their comments about using every strategy to defeat the deal, we will know if they voted for Letwin it was because they view it as a way to defeat the deal. I will happily apologise for being wrong about Letwin being a strategy to defeat the deal as far as the opposition is concerned if the DUP vote for it. If they don't then we take them at their word, and I was right it was used as a strategy to defeat the deal.
    The point is that passing the Letwin amendment is not a way of defeating the deal. The deal will either go ahead next week, or else there will be an election and it will go ahead afterwards.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Let's get the election going
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

2.94 on December election looks tasty if this amendment passes.

This rotten and indecisive Parliament doesn’t deserve to continue.

Yep, these numbers could be about to change:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.154849135
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

All on the EU. If they only grant a short extension or refuse one then MPs will have to vote for something next week.

I think Macron will be against a January 2020 agreement. If Parliament had rejected Boris's MV or amended it to include a referendum then they may have agreed, but to not even take a division on it - no, get serious.
  • Options

Let's get the election going

Even Brenda must be saying that by now!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Well I think that is the public sentiment, but we will now need Macron et al to come up with yet another plan to stop MPs playing silly buggers yet again. Another unconditional extension won't solve this but ones with conditions could also anger the pubic / enable MPs to piss about again.
    It's simple enough from the EU if they want to do that - Letwin says his amendment was about supporting the deal, just an insurance against no deal. Therefore if it passed as expected they could reasonably say that they reject the suggested date of January and propose one of Novemebr 14th, or something, since MPs have indicated they support.

But it was the EU bar Macron and a few others who wanted to extend until early 2020 in the first place back in April.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    It is incredible that parliament would even think of delaying Brexit yet again. Have they no idea what the public think of them?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sandpit said:
    "2.94 on December election looks tasty if this amendment passes.

This rotten and indecisive Parliament doesn’t deserve to continue."

What is the mechanism to call a GE? As I keep saying Corbyn has all the power here and I don`t believe he will table VONC
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

To you, maybe.
    The point is that passing the Letwin amendment is not a way of defeating the deal. The deal will either go ahead next week, or else there will be an election and it will go ahead afterwards.
    It might be if Corbyn then calls a VONC supported by the DUP.
  • Options
    Ayes 322
    Noes 306
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Not even close. This is what happens Boris when you treat people so poorly and you lose their trust.
  • Options
    Letwin Passes

Ayes 322

Noes 306
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    isam said:

It is incredible that parliament would even think of delaying Brexit yet again. Have they no idea what the public think of them?

The public does not GAF.
  • Options
    Oh dear.
  • Options
    Ayes 322 Noes 306

Letwin passes
  • Options
    Another wasted day.
  • Options
    isam said:

They are even more out of touch than during the expenses scandal.
  • Options
    Markets Voided
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Chortle.
  • Options
    DUP win vote for Letwin
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    It won't even be close.
  • Options
    2nd ref amendment not moved.
  • Options
    Bastards. The DUP swung it. They will pay a price.
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

To you, maybe.
    It's a strategy to ensure it is not approved today, and they hope they can defeat it later. I'll take them at their word that they see it as a way of defeating the deal, or rather trying to defeat it. Are they liars? Just because they might not be able to stop does not mean it is not a strategy to attempt to defeat it. Anything that delays its approval is a strategy to attempt to defeat it.
  • Options
    The DUP made the difference. If they'd voted the other way it would have been Ayes 312, Noes 316.
  • Options
    Substantive through on the nod. That will annoy those betting on numbers.
  • Options
    Amended motion passed without a vote. So zero in the Aye lobby!
  • Options
    #ParliamentFail
  • Options
    The Labour Whips huddled with DUP. I hope the public can see what is going on.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Boris says he will stick to committing to delivering the Deal and will refuse to ask for an extension.

Go Boris!!!!
  • Options
    Boris not backing Benn???
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    "!$£&%^ Letwin!
  • Options
    Boris

I will not seek a delay
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    The Indecisive Parliament once again doing sterling work avoiding actually making a bloody decision.

I do worry that public contempt for Parliament is going to reach alarmingly high levels.
  • Options
    I think some gold desks in the elysee palace will be getting thumped...something along the lines of the f##king British say they want to leave, then every time we show the door, they turn around and say "just one more thing"....
  • Options
    Did the PM just say he's not sending the SurrBennder (geddit) Act letter?
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I think Macron will be against a January 2020 agreement. If Parliament had rejected Boris's MV or amended it to include a referendum then they may have agreed, but to not even take a division on it - no, get serious.
    Oh I'm sure Macron will be against that - he was against it before and argued them down to October, though I think he wanted even less time. I just don't know how they will react, and whether the idea they essentially don't say right away that they will grant it is a valid approach, in that parliament then has to really face up to the votes next week as potentially being deal or no deal as the EU have not agreed yet. If they do that Letwin has held ensure proper scrutiny of legislation with no harm.
This discussion has been closed.