Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s phantom majority: why we’re heading for a Christmas

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Well done Theresa May for speaking in favour of the Boris Deal, if it passes much of the credit must still go to her for negotiating most of it

Classic hard cop soft cop.

May cuts a tough deal then Johnson plays the nice guy and compromises.
    Lol. After months of saying that the EU would never accept Northern Ireland outside being full members of the Customs Union, it is now a softer deal.
    The EU always said that alternative arrangements could replace the backstop. Johnson gave up on the alternative arrangements and chose a permanent framework that separates Northern Ireland.
    The alternative arrangements they wanted was NI in the single market for everything (not just agriculture and industrial goods) and customs territory (not the UK's), and with no right to leave.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    Boris is going to be forced to ask for a delay, kicking and screaming.

It will be glorious.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2019
    isam said:

It is incredible that parliament would even think of delaying Brexit yet again. Have they no idea what the public think of them?

Which public do you mean ?

Is that the public that are 6%, on average, more behind Remain than 2016 ?

Some on PB do need to get out of their comfort zone a little more often, I'm afraid to report.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited October 2019
    kinabalu said:

So we are back to see what Macron et al have to say.

No, forget the detail, the momentum is with this Deal. It will pass either today or very soon.
    Agree. But does he have to write the letter?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

Boris says he will stick to committing to delivering the Deal and will refuse to ask for an extension.

Go Boris!!!!

Go to jail do not pas go
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,298

It will be glorious.

He says he is not compelled by law so to do???
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,958
    When in doubt, delay - the motto of the UK Parliament.
  • Options
    The deal is now irrelevant. What is relevant is amendments to the withdrawal bill.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

It will be glorious.

If you think this makes our politicians look anything other than complete dicks you are wrong.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

isam said:

It is incredible that parliament would even think of delaying Brexit yet again. Have they no idea what the public think of them?

Some on PB do need to get out of their comfort zone a little more often, I'm afraid to report.
    I mean the public, not political obsessives who are the material of opinion polls
  • Options
    edited October 2019

It will be glorious.

He also said his prorogation of Parliament was lawful.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370

Boris

I will not seek a delay

He must send the letter. He has no choice. We can only hope the EU say no.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,137
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Can we tell what the DUP did on Letwin? Sammy sounded as if he was opposed.

The BBC is taking his comment "We would be failing in our duty if we did not use every strategy" to defeat the deal as an indication they would back Letwin.
    Well Letwin is a way to defeat the deal, that's why Labour are backing it, so their taking it that way makes sense.
    To you, maybe.
    Well we shall in a few minutes if that was right - given their comments about using every strategy to defeat the deal, we will know if they voted for Letwin it was because they view it as a way to defeat the deal. I will happily apologise for being wrong about Letwin being a strategy to defeat the deal as far as the opposition is concerned if the DUP vote for it. If they don't then we take them at their word, and I was right it was used as a strategy to defeat the deal.
    The point is that passing the Letwin amendment is not a way of defeating the deal. The deal will either go ahead next week, or else there will be an election and it will go ahead afterwards.
    It's a strategy to ensure it is not approved today, and they hope they can defeat it later. I'll take them at their word that they see it as a way of defeating the deal, or rather trying to defeat it. Are they liars? Just because they might not be able to stop does not mean it is not a strategy to attempt to defeat it. Anything that delays its approval is a strategy to attempt to defeat it.
    It does nothing to delay ratification, except for the few hours needed to have a final meaningful vote after the WAIB is passed.
  • Options

The Indecisive Parliament once again doing sterling work avoiding actually making a bloody decision.

I do worry that public contempt for Parliament is going to reach alarmingly high levels.

Exactly
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I mean the public, not political obsessives who are the material of opinion polls
    The public do not care mate.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

It will be glorious.

Remainerism has been reduced to childish hurting of individuals they dislike. It is so pathetic.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

It will be glorious.

He said he’s not compelled to *negotiate* an extension. I guess that means he can send the letter saying “gizzus an extension” but when the EU says “for what?” he doesn’t answer.
  • Options
    Does he have to write the letter today ?
  • Options

The deal is now irrelevant. What is relevant is amendments to the withdrawal bill.

It's about to get a lot more complicated, and Mr Herdson's scenarios are in play. Not sure that Boris can wrangle all the Labour deal supporters through debate on various amendments and add ons.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Is there a school of thought this is a mistake by Boris, his best chance of winning it today, momentum will move against it in coming days not for it!
  • Options

No - The EU now becomes the focus of attention
  • Options

Boris

I will not seek a delay

I think I agree with him, sort it out now.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Oh dear . The DUP obviousiy aren’t going to be pushed around .
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Boris can’t be surprised that people do not give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options

Boris not backing Benn???

Doesn't have to. Amended motion passed. There is a deal. Benn was anti no-deal.

See you in court, Jolyon.
  • Options
    Boris absolutely should follow the law, but if a court is going to send the letter for him if he refuses, from his POV why would he not refuse to send it? His supporters care more about his wanting to Brexit than if he followed the letter of the law.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rpjs said:

He said he’s not compelled to *negotiate* an extension. I guess that means he can send the letter saying “gizzus an extension” but when the EU says “for what?” he doesn’t answer.

I think you're probably right - the word negotiate seems to have been carefully chosen.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

It's the reverse. The public is often apathetic to get this nuisance over in whichever way, which the Tories have cleverly retranslated from "let it be over" to to "get it done".
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan said:

He respected the decision of the Supreme Court as soon as it was made.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

The public do not care mate.
    Oh they do
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    edited October 2019
    This thread has been amended, substantively negatived and the matter delayed to the next thread.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    Zephyr said:

Is there a school of thought this is a mistake by Boris, his best chance of winning it today, momentum will move against it in coming days not for it!

The public is now behind the Boris Deal in all the polls, we now move towards a Tory landslide
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ayes 322 Noes 306

Letwin passes

Presumably all 306 are for the deal? It doesn't sound like anyone voted No were against the deal?

In which case 9 who voted for Letwin need to vote for the deal to pass the deal surely? It sounds like there were at least 9 who voted for Letwin who said they would vote for the deal?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    rpjs said:

It will be glorious.

The EU has said time and again, that they would if there is an election or a referendum...nothing else.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

The public is now behind the Boris Deal in all the polls, we now move towards a Tory landslide
    TBH - it is hard to see how he ends up a loser out of this

• Options

Yes.
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

The BBC is taking his comment "We would be failing in our duty if we did not use every strategy" to defeat the deal as an indication they would back Letwin.
    Well Letwin is a way to defeat the deal, that's why Labour are backing it, so their taking it that way makes sense.
    To you, maybe.
    Well we shall in a few minutes if that was right - given their comments about using every strategy to defeat the deal, we will know if they voted for Letwin it was because they view it as a way to defeat the deal. I will happily apologise for being wrong about Letwin being a strategy to defeat the deal as far as the opposition is concerned if the DUP vote for it. If they don't then we take them at their word, and I was right it was used as a strategy to defeat the deal.
    The point is that passing the Letwin amendment is not a way of defeating the deal. The deal will either go ahead next week, or else there will be an election and it will go ahead afterwards.
    It's a strategy to ensure it is not approved today, and they hope they can defeat it later. I'll take them at their word that they see it as a way of defeating the deal, or rather trying to defeat it. Are they liars? Just because they might not be able to stop does not mean it is not a strategy to attempt to defeat it. Anything that delays its approval is a strategy to attempt to defeat it.
    It does nothing to delay ratification, except for the few hours needed to have a final meaningful vote after the WAIB is passed.
    It probably won't. But the DUP and the other opposition parties think it gives them the chance to delay it. I don't know what the problem here is. The fight for remain is still live, none of the opposition would deny that. If they can unite around a referendum I'd even support that.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited October 2019
    As the motion has passed (albeit amended) I think this satisfies Benn Act and therefore he no longer needs to send letter. Is this correct?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

It will be glorious.

It depends whether the public blame him for seeking a delay. The polling shows that quite a lot of people won't blame him personally.
  • Options

Surely the letter is already written?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Corbyn should go for an election now, it won't get any better. Boris caught BXP on the hop for a news cycle but he won't be able to maintain that for a whole campaign.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

To you, maybe.
    It’s purely about trying to embarrass the PM. It doesn’t achieve anything practical
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Stocky said:

As the motion has passed (albeit amended) I think this satisfies Benn Act and therefore he no longer needs to send letter. Is this correct?

No , the deal wasn’t passed . The motion was amended to say it withholds approval .
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Strange - the polls say otherwise - its mp's that are the problem
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

He lost trust when Geoffrey Cox went to war. Playing nice today was too little too late.

He approach reminds me of those infamous people in Oxford who trash restaurants and Play nice, pay for the damage and expect to get away with it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,317
    Remain fight on.

It's not over till it's over.

But it's nearly over.
  • Options
    Letwin now full on support for Boris as remainers jaws drop
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

No, forget the detail, the momentum is with this Deal. It will pass either today or very soon.
    Presumably if he doesn’t, the judges in the noble officium case will rule that someone else will have to do so?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,243
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

It will be glorious.

Remainerism has been reduced to childish hurting of individuals they dislike. It is so pathetic.
    Yup, shocking that they've descended to the level of the 'delicious tears of Libtard diehard remoaner scum' brigade.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed and the important point is that the Protogation was not unlawful until it was declared so by the Supreme Court. Boris would only have been breaking the law had he ignored their ruling.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

HYUFD said:

Ayes 322 Noes 306

Letwin passes

Presumably all 306 are for the deal? It doesn't sound like anyone voted No were against the deal?

In which case 9 who voted for Letwin need to vote for the deal to pass the deal surely? It sounds like there were at least 9 who voted for Letwin who said they would vote for the deal?
    As I understand it if the legislation passes next week the bill can come back and we're out.

The complication is the letter and the EU's response.

Unless.... He says to the EU hold off on the decision until after next week and next week the deal passes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

To you, maybe.
    It probably won't. But the DUP and the other opposition parties think it gives them the chance to delay it. I don't know what the problem here is. The fight for remain is still live, none of the opposition would deny that. If they can unite around a referendum I'd even support that.
    The only problem will be if there isn't a majority for the deal. That would have been a problem in any case.

If there isn't a majority for the deal now, I'm sure there will be one after a general election.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Presumably if he doesn’t, the judges in the noble officium case will rule that someone else will have to do so?
    I think the EU UK Ambassador serves it to their meeting tomorrow morning

Conservatives walk out on Joanna Cherry
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Ayes 322 Noes 306

Letwin passes

As I understand it if the legislation passes next week the bill can come back and we're out.

The complication is the letter and the EU's response.

Unless.... He says to the EU hold off on the decision until after next week and next week the deal passes.
    The timescale that's been suggested for an EU decision is the week after next in any case.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Zephyr said:

TBH - it is hard to see how he ends up a loser out of this

There’s a lot of just get it out of my life built into those polls isn’t there? Would it win a Boris deal v revoke plebiscite?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Oh dear . The DUP obviousiy aren’t going to be pushed around .

I'm curious as to why the DUP aren't in uproar about the all Ireland team which played rugby today.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041
    Who were the Labour MPs who voted against the Letwin amendment?
This discussion has been closed.