Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Johnson edges towards to the 11pm Brexit deadline the betti

Comments

• Options

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:
    I have no position on Northern Ireland's place in the UK/Ireland. I've never been there and I have precisely zero fucks to give about whether it stays or goes. But. Every time I see DUP folk speak I can't help but to root a little for Sinn Fein. I mean, I know there are good people in other unionist parties. Hell, there might even be some humans in the DUP itself. But gods what a dreadful sack of anuses the DUP are.
    I mean most politicians are particularly ugly, strange looking people...very few exceptions..Zak Goldsmith, aside...but fuck me the DUP are an odd looking lot....
    Oh and like you--I have no views on Northern Ireland--it already is one of the most heavily subsidised parts of the world per capita perhaps, and populated by the odd bigot or two, and you really wouldn't want to go there on holiday, or unless you had to (ie your plane got hijacked and diverted there)- the fact that Hyfud lives there hardly endears one more....

I don't like Rory particularly, or Barry McGuigan or the accent, the weather is worst than here...I don't think it proffers any culinary delights....it hasn't got any particularly innovative music or literary scene aside from sectarian ditties....in fact anything remotely likeable appears to be associated with south of the border rather than the 5 miserable counties....
    I don't live in Northern Ireland, I live in Essex and am just on holiday there but despite your extremely rude dismissal of the entire province there are some excellent restaurants, great castles and historic houses and spectacular scenery and natural wonders, including Giant's Causeway which I am visiting tomorrow.

Plus, say what you like about the DUP but they do have a backbone

Yep, it’s a fantastic place. Everyone in GB should visit. I was last there in April. Carry on enjoying it.

Like it very much. Seriously thought about moving there but chance probably gone now. Particularly liked the area around Portrush, which is more or less where HYUFD is now. (Shouldn't be able to hear IDS's screams from there!)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

Parts of ERG showing, once again, that they can't bear the thought of the UK leaving the EU.

Seems to only be coming from remainer Tom N-D.

I’d keep the knee unharmed for now.
    Perhaps its a Tom_ND fake account
    _twat perhaps ?

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1184228907790274561?s=21
    What the heck were they talking about then?!
    Being told that if they don’t vote for the deal, whatever it is, they’ll be stripped of the Tory whip and expelled from the party, which means they won’t be able to run as Tory candidates in the GE that will be fast on the heels of their vote.

It might work.
    It might work if Boris has got a Deal that avoids the backstop, if the Deal still includes the backstop there will be an eruption within the Tory Party and DUP of Vesuvius proportions by Saturday
  • Options
    So, when is Boris officially declared a Quisling by the ERG?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:
    I have no position on Northern Ireland's place in the UK/Ireland. I've never been there and I have precisely zero fucks to give about whether it stays or goes. But. Every time I see DUP folk speak I can't help but to root a little for Sinn Fein. I mean, I know there are good people in other unionist parties. Hell, there might even be some humans in the DUP itself. But gods what a dreadful sack of anuses the DUP are.
    I mean most politicians are particularly ugly, strange looking people...very few exceptions..Zak Goldsmith, aside...but fuck me the DUP are an odd looking lot....
    Oh and like you--I have no views on Northern Ireland--it already is one of the most heavily subsidised parts of the world per capita perhaps, and populated by the odd bigot or two, and you really wouldn't want to go there on holiday, or unless you had to (ie your plane got hijacked and diverted there)- the fact that Hyfud lives there hardly endears one more....

I don't like Rory particularly, or Barry McGuigan or the accent, the weather is worst than here...I don't think it proffers any culinary delights....it hasn't got any particularly innovative music or literary scene aside from sectarian ditties....in fact anything remotely likeable appears to be associated with south of the border rather than the 5 miserable counties....
    I don't live in Northern Ireland, I live in Essex and am just on holiday there but despite your extremely rude dismissal of the entire province there are some excellent restaurants, great castles and historic houses and spectacular scenery and natural wonders, including Giant's Causeway which I am visiting tomorrow.

Yep, it’s a fantastic place. Everyone in GB should visit. I was last there in April. Carry on enjoying it.

Like it very much. Seriously thought about moving there but chance probably gone now. Particularly liked the area around Portrush, which is more or less where HYUFD is now. (Shouldn't be able to hear IDS's screams from there!)
    As was previously discussed on here, Northern Ireland shares, with Southern Ireland and western Scotland, the remarkable meteorological record of being the most sunless region on earth, along with northern central Siberia and the Aleutian Islands. True fact.

You need some pretty fucking amazing castles to get over THAT.
  • Options
    If Antoinette Sandbach has indeed been deselected she might decide to go out in a Blaze of Glory. I wonder too about Amber Rudd if there is no way back.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps that 'influential Conservative MP' would like to consider what would happen if IDS and Owen Paterson had the whip removed and defected to the Brexit Party and half the Tory core vote and membership followed them?
    Just looking in.

You've shifted your focus from a British nuclear attack on Madrid, apparently. Thank heaven for small mercies ....
    I'm relieved because I'm in Madrid for a 4 day city break from Thursday. I'd not be happy to die at the sharp end of our nuclear deterrent.
    On holiday in Madrid? What are you, some kind of Europhile? (spit)

Please take a leaf out of HYUFD's book, and holiday in ESSEX. But to be on the safe side, avoid any places with a record of being colonised by Foreigners - for example, Danes, Anglo-Saxons, Romans, and - as I say, to be on the safe side - Celts.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2019
    Byronic said:

Amongst this crowd are unexpectedly influential Irish journalists

Speaking of which...

https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/status/1184222473530859522

https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/status/1184222821259579394
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

Tight lipped, apart from these snippets.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

I hope so! Very, very sensible compromise if so!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

Yes. People like him and Fintan O’Toole and Tony Connelly of RTE are suddenly finding they’ve got a vastly wider audience, outwith Eire. Their views are sought by French, German, Italian media, the London Guardian commissions their articles, the BBC and CNN want to get them on screen.

If Brexit is done, they go back to being obscure hacks from a tiny country. Poignant.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Would be fun if, after the spartans engineered the downfall of one PM, half of them end up getting deselected by Boris and then he rams through May's deal.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chris said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps that 'influential Conservative MP' would like to consider what would happen if IDS and Owen Paterson had the whip removed and defected to the Brexit Party and half the Tory core vote and membership followed them?
    Just looking in.

You've shifted your focus from a British nuclear attack on Madrid, apparently. Thank heaven for small mercies ....
    I'm relieved because I'm in Madrid for a 4 day city break from Thursday. I'd not be happy to die at the sharp end of our nuclear deterrent.

Please take a leaf out of HYUFD's book, and holiday in ESSEX. But to be on the safe side, avoid any places with a record of being colonised by Foreigners - for example, Danes, Anglo-Saxons, Romans, and - as I say, to be on the safe side - Celts.
    This year I have travelled to Israel, the Palestinian Authority, Scotland, Portugal, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

If I only visited places which always voted Tory I would not even visit the ward I live in as it has 3 LD councillors!
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Byronic said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

Yes. People like him and Fintan O’Toole and Tony Connelly of RTE are suddenly finding they’ve got a vastly wider audience, outwith Eire. Their views are sought by French, German, Italian media, the London Guardian commissions their articles, the BBC and CNN want to get them on screen.

If Brexit is done, they go back to being obscure hacks from a tiny country. Poignant.
    No more than the filthy Micks deserve, yes?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Byronic said:

Worth remembering that there are LOTS of people who have a vested interest in Brexit continuing as a clusterfuck. They’re not necessarily Remain or Leave, they just depend on Brexit to be an unhealed wound.

Amongst this crowd are unexpectedly influential Irish journalists, all Lib Dems, several notable Tweeters, a smattering of legal experts (hello David Allen Green), Ms Gina Miller, a cabal of bloggers, Ireland in Europe, loads of Scot Nats, probably Jolyon Maugham QC, others.

To be fair to Tom Connelly and Lisa O'Carroll they've been a good source of news on Brexit rather than the god awful clickbait/opinion found elsewhere.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Just looking in.

This year I have travelled to Israel, the Palestinian Authority, Scotland, Portugal, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
    I've been to Skegness Cleethorpes and Scunthorpe!!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

NI will be creaming it in from all directions as well as getting benefits from EU SM and CU as well as UK FTA with EU and other countries.

DUP would be mad to turn this down.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    Xenophobia rule the waves!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    Can you talk me through this response. Ta.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004

rcs1000 said:

Sterling continuing to rise. Goldmans telling traders to cover their sterling shorts.

As a Goldman Sachs alum, I think what you meant to say was "Goldman Sachs FX Strategist xxx advises clients and traders to close sterling shorts."

There will be hundreds of traders at Goldman with sterling positions - some will be long, some will be short. Management doesn't tell traders what positions they run*.

* With some exceptions.
    More short than long across the market.

I am in that world too.
    When you sell sterling short (or indeed any asset) you create an additional holder too. This is more obvious with shares. Say you want to bet on IBM going down: well, you need to borrow some IBM and then sell it.

So, before you short IBM:

Holders of IBM: 1,000 shares

You then borrow 100 shares of IBM and sell it.

Holders of IBM: 1,100 shares.
    IBM shorts: -100 shares.

The same is true of currencies. To bet on the price falling, I need to find someone to lend me some Sterling and then sell it. There therefore end up being an additional long position in sterling, as there is (a) the person who lent you the sterling, and (b) the person who bought the sterling off you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    That’s desperately unfair.

You can’t expect Boris to remember the lies he told well over a decade ago.

It’s hard enough keeping them consistent in real time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Yes it is, so to be fair is the Republic after having visited Sligo and Donegal today

Yep - if you get the chance go to Carlingford, too, then get the ferry back into NI. It’s a stunning journey.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Just looking in.

This year I have travelled to Israel, the Palestinian Authority, Scotland, Portugal, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
    Was that the fabled Great Chip Shop Tour of 2019?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Just looking in.

Well am sure you got some hearty meals
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    No need. We can all spot unalloyed misplaced nationalism.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

Well you've sunk it now!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

Parts of ERG showing, once again, that they can't bear the thought of the UK leaving the EU.

_twat perhaps ?

Tax avoidance schemes??
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

You think being "ironic" gives you a licence to spout that shit?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

NI will be creaming it in from all directions as well as getting benefits from EU SM and CU as well as UK FTA with EU and other countries.

They will turn it down if it is a NI only backstop in all but name, the original Boris plan was as far as the DUP would go.

Which means we are back to needing a Tory majority for a Brexit Deal
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Betfair:

- Huge move towards GE 2020 or later

- But little move re Brexit Date
  • Options

Not until he recants on the threat of deselection if they vote against.....
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    What the fucking fuck are you on about? Ireland is a very small country. 5m people. Its hacks are obscure. For that reason. I’ve merely stated the case.

These bizarre and touchy responses are more telling about the responder.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    So, is this apparent new deal the same deal as was on offer in December 2017? The one that the then PM with the current PM sitting beside her and nodding along said no British PM could accept? The one that is worse than May’s deal?

Or is it that no-one knows and is just making stuff up?
  • Options

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

You think being "ironic" gives you a licence to spout that shit?
    Just unpacking the obvious message in a wholly helpful way. A public service, if you will.
  • Options
    Someone's passed their Scottish citizenship test.

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1184236834974511104?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Noo said:

Danny565 said:

Yes it is, so to be fair is the Republic after having visited Sligo and Donegal today

Yep - if you get the chance go to Carlingford, too, then get the ferry back into NI. It’s a stunning journey.

Probably don't have time now unfortunately but will keep in mind for future trips
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Nigelb said:

Wasn't he talked about being stopped in the street, rather than having to present ID to do something (presumably he already does it to enter a country or pick up a parcel)?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

They will turn it down if it is a NI only backstop in all but name, the original Boris plan was as far as the DUP would go.

Do you think Boris would settle for a backstop in all but name? Would you settle for that?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Don't know about Paterson but hasn't IDS accepted he'll lose his seat to Labour at the next election whatever happens?

Although I'd imagine he'd quite like a seat in HOL which might be under threat (at least for a few years) if he rocks the boat too much.
    If the Tories kick him out he can run somewhere more promising under the BXP flag.
  • Options
    The DUP are being bought. From the FT

‘One person briefed on the negotiations said the DUP was asking for “billions not millions” for Northern Ireland’

BUT THEY ARE BEING BOUGHT
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Just looking in.

Well am sure you got some hearty meals
    I have a poorly hearty that's why I have to tour shitholes rather than proper holidays.

Anyway goodnight hope your boy gets this deal done.
  • Options

Between the Second and Third Readings of the WAIB.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

Do you think Boris would settle for a backstop in all but name? Would you settle for that?
    Personally I would settle for the GB backstop being removed but the DUP will not if some of the NI backstop remains and nor will some of the ERG so without a Tory majority I doubt it will pass unless at least 20 to 30 Labour MPs vote for it
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    What the fucking fuck are you on about? Ireland is a very small country. 5m people. Its hacks are obscure. For that reason. I’ve merely stated the case.

Methinks etc.
  • Options
    Bottom line - vast majority of Con MPs and Leave supporters couldn't care less about the terms of the deal.

All they care about is just to get it done - anything will do.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

Methinks etc.
    You’re unhinged. Pop a quaalude. Bro.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

They’ve routinely showed our hacks up, though, by being far better connected in Brussels, getting top scoops and understanding how things work. Maybe they’ve had to work harder to get to where they are.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Bottom line - vast majority of Con MPs and Leave supporters couldn't care less about the terms of the deal.

That would make a change. And is not quite true or theyd being back the May deal now more labour say they'll vote for it. If the terms would not matter anymore theyd consider it at least. But the terms do still matter to a degree even if some will swallow options they would not before.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    What the fucking fuck are you on about?
    To spell it out for you, as you need to be "talked through" it - you're behaving in an appallingly xenophobic way, and you should think about it, and stop it. Please, show some respect.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Speaking of which.

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1184223966690459648?s=20
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    More heat than light again on PB I see.

Good night!
  • Options

More heat than light again on PB I see.

Good night!

As winter approaches heat will be better than light!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

‘One person briefed on the negotiations said the DUP was asking for “billions not millions” for Northern Ireland’

Fair enough. They have some catching up still before they get to the billions Scotland has had..... Can't blame them for milking the Golden Teat handed to them by the electorate.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

They’ve routinely showed our hacks up, though, by being far better connected in Brussels, getting top scoops and understanding how things work. Maybe they’ve had to work harder to get to where they are.

No, it’s a function of the smallness of Ireland. It’s almost certain the top hacks at RTE and the Irish Times know the main players in Dublin and ‘Irish Brussels’ personally. There are no levels intermediating. They get the gossip in the Irish pub in Luxembourg the moment it is created.

If London can feel like Westminster village, Dublin is a miniature hamlet of 6 people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

Personally I would settle for the GB backstop being removed but the DUP will not if some of the NI backstop remains and nor will some of the ERG so without a Tory majority I doubt it will pass unless at least 20 to 30 Labour MPs vote for it
    So where will that leave dear Boris? Should the Tories try another new leader? Jacob? Michael? Dominic (Raabe - don't get too excited)? Priti? Andrea?

If dear Boris betrays them, really, whom can they trust?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

That would make a change. And is not quite true or theyd being back the May deal now more labour say they'll vote for it. If the terms would not matter anymore theyd consider it at least. But the terms do still matter to a degree even if some will swallow options they would not before.
    But it would look silly and be too embarrassing to bring back the May deal.

So it's now just a question of cobbling something together - literally anything, just to get it done.

If you said to Boris now that a deal will be done and it will pass the Commons then I'm quite sure he would accept anything.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    To spell it out for you, as you need to be "talked through" it - you're behaving in an appallingly xenophobic way, and you should think about it, and stop it. Please, show some respect.
    Please tell me - for entertainment purposes - how I am being ‘appallingly xenophobic’ - for making the factual observation that Ireland is a very small country of 5 million people?

Would you prefer it if I said ‘Ireland has a population of 390 million people, and will soon overtake China’. Maybe I could say ‘Ireland is a vast, hi-tech Himalayan country, prone to cyber plagues, which has ambitions to conquer Neptune’?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Its always about the money. ;)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

No, it’s a function of the smallness of Ireland. It’s almost certain the top hacks at RTE and the Irish Times know the main players in Dublin and ‘Irish Brussels’ personally. There are no levels intermediating. They get the gossip in the Irish pub in Luxembourg the moment it is created.

If London can feel like Westminster village, Dublin is a miniature hamlet of 6 people.

They get the scoops.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684
    "Brexit ‘will be delayed until next year’ even if deal is reached tonight" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-will-be-delayed-until-next-year-even-if-deal-is-reached-tonight-9qhrflxfv
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!
    Please tell me - for entertainment purposes - how I am being ‘appallingly xenophobic’ - for making the factual observation that Ireland is a very small country of 5 million people?

Would you prefer it if I said ‘Ireland has a population of 390 million people, and will soon overtake China’. Maybe I could say ‘Ireland is a vast, hi-tech Himalayan country, prone to cyber plagues, which has ambitions to conquer Neptune’?
    A friendly word of advice - just don't say it front of the doctors.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

They get the scoops.

Yes, they do. I’m not denying that. The guy from RTE - Connelly - has been particularly good. I’m positing a reason WHY.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Brexit ‘will be delayed until next year’ even if deal is reached tonight" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-will-be-delayed-until-next-year-even-if-deal-is-reached-tonight-9qhrflxfv

We'll see.

First we heard there wouldn't be a deal. Now it seems there will be a deal but we'll have to have a technical extension to next year.

I still think the EU wants us gone for the start of Empress Ursula's resign on 1st November so if a way can be found to shove us out the door have a feeling it will be...
  • Options
    Lets hope Donald doesn't spark another "incident" with his rudeness

https://news.sky.com/story/family-of-harry-dunn-are-paying-a-visit-to-white-house-11836452
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

They probably were all shared by the same priest..
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828
    https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1184025236213252097

Did anything happen around 2016 that would cause such a thing?

[innocent face] :innocent:
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

And a grateful nation will say "thank fuck that's over...."

"over"

Chortle.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

It will be a NI only backstop or more precisely NI staying in the SM and EU CU. No need of a backstop. The DUP will vote for it miraculously after receiving GBP 400m per vote.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Learn to read a graph.

The fall starts in 2008.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

So where will that leave dear Boris? Should the Tories try another new leader? Jacob? Michael? Dominic (Raabe - don't get too excited)? Priti? Andrea?

If dear Boris betrays them, really, whom can they trust?
    If Boris gets a Deal through even with a few Labour MPs he would likely stay leader but if not enough Labour MPs back him to avoid the need for DUP support he will likely have to go back to a No Deal position until the EU remove the backstop
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Byronic said:

Speaking of which...

It will be a NI only backstop or more precisely NI staying in the SM and EU CU. No need of a backstop. The DUP will vote for it miraculously after receiving GBP 400m per vote.
    I doubt it and nor would they receive that much
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    kle4 said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

_twat perhaps ?

For 80 minutes !
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

If Boris gets a Deal through even with a few Labour MPs he would likely stay leader but if not enough Labour MPs back him to avoid the need for DUP support he will likely have to go back to a No Deal position until the EU remove the backstop

This is quite a weird position. If he's just negotiated a deal and recommended the deal to the House of Commons, and it fails because he has a few rebels on his side and also loses the DUP, and gets no help from the opposition, isn't the obvious next move to say, let's have an election so the voters can give me a majority to pass my deal??? It's not like he can get No Deal through with the current parliament either.

I mean, in theory he could say that the deal he just negotiated, which he just told parliament was great, was in fact sub-optimal because parliament took No Deal off the table, so now he wants to win a majority, take the latest deal off the table, put No Deal back on the table, and negotiate a *third* deal which will be better than the first one and the second one, but that lacks the refreshing clarity that he started out with, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    The huge wodge of cash isn't to buy off the DUP ( in a transactional sense ). It's to reinforce and transfer the majority support the old backstop had to the new frontstop agreement ( they are replacing the backstop with a NI specific endstate ) The DUP will privately hate the money because when the amount is announced it will put them in a pincer movement between the nationalist/non aligned parties and the UK Government.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Learn to read a graph.

The fall starts in 2008.
    But crossover in 2016...
  • Options

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

Plus generally the UK media over in Brussels are not the top of the tree in their organisations and the EU know this.

• Options

I'm curious as to how many of the Baker-Francois gang have never wanted to leave the EU and how many thought they wanted to leave only to discover that without the EU to complain about they would have no purpose in life.

Likewise with Farage and his gang.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Chris said:

Byronic said:

Rule, Xenophobia!

They get the scoops.

Yes, they do. I’m not denying that. The guy from RTE - Connelly - has been particularly good. I’m positing a reason WHY.
    Different understanding of their jobs. Mr Connelly is basically reporting facts that he becomes aware of.
    British "hacks" are basically that, they write what their audience likes to read.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Learn to read a graph.

The fall starts in 2008.
    But crossover in 2016...
    The crossover is because it is measured in 2015 constant prices which means that nominal earnings are rising faster than real earnings ie what they almost always do because of inflation.
  • Options

The huge wodge of cash isn't to buy off the DUP ( in a transactional sense ). It's to reinforce and transfer the majority support the old backstop had to the new frontstop agreement ( they are replacing the backstop with a NI specific endstate ) The DUP will privately hate the money because when the amount is announced it will put them in a pincer movement between the nationalist/non aligned parties and the UK Government.

And there's always the threat that current subsidies to NI might be reduced which would mean that the Union loses some of its attraction.
  • Options
    Anyone watching the Dem debate?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anyone watching the Dem debate?

Link?
  • Options
    Initial thoughts:

Tulsi Gabbard is sensible but sadly dull.

Tom Steyer waiting for applause after a not very interesting comment. He's sensibly going after Trump. But the man is going nowhere.

Andrew Yang. Wear a tie man! He's claiming that the Democrats killed 300,000 manufacturing jobs. His intonation is off. The man is going nowhere.

Beto O'Rourke. Odd mannerisms. Talks too much.

• Options
    Biden is slurring his words slightly. And he keeps forgetting what he's saying. When he gets on his talking points, he's good. But oh my... (Cleverly saying that the Hunter Biden allegations show how Trump is scared of him.) He also keeps saying "the fact of the matter is..."

Sanders looks fine. Doesn't appear to have any ill effects from the heart attack. He's better at staying on topic than Biden.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Initial thoughts:

Tulsi Gabbard is sensible but sadly dull.

Tom Steyer waiting for applause after a not very interesting comment. He's sensibly going after Trump. But the man is going nowhere.

Andrew Yang. Wear a tie man! He's claiming that the Democrats killed 300,000 manufacturing jobs. His intonation is off. The man is going nowhere.

Beto O'Rourke. Odd mannerisms. Talks too much.

The losers debate...it is really ridiculous that there are still 12 candidates debating. There is hardly any light when there are only 2 people, let alone 12.
  • Options
    Warren. She's good at staying on point. She's good about personalising and making examples about specific people.
  • Options
    On Biden, evading the questions concerning his son makes him come over a little weak in my view.
    And even Bernie looks livelier than him.
  • Options
    Buttigieg. He's very articulate. But is he too moderate for the Democrats?
  • Options
    To my eye Mayor Pete looks and sounds the most presidential, by a country mile. But I'm probably biased, I'd vote for him.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    rcs1000 said:

Is Mayor Pete moderate in the sense that he has moderate policies, or in the sense he has no policies?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Is Mayor Pete moderate in the sense that he has moderate policies, or in the sense he has no policies?
    His healthcare policy - which is to allow people up buy Medicare - is a pretty sensible most ground.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I guess his approach is to build a church as broad as possible. I could see that working well.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It'll be interesting to see what happens to the Brexit Party share in the opinion polls if we don't leave on 31st October. I seem to remember there was some previous polling which suggested it might go up to around 20%, mainly at the Tories' expense.
  • Options
    Andrew Yang very passionate about automation. Warren seems to want to give everybody money.

I had high hopes for Gabbard, but god she's dull.
  • Options
    Is Kamala Harris even in this debate?
  • Options
    Cory Booker is a pretty impressive.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cory Booker is a pretty impressive.

OK. He ended up going on too long in the end and ended up a bit rambly.
  • Options
    Beto O'Rourke is very keen on Mexicans joining unions. Not clear that this is going to be a big vote winner in the US.
  • Options
    Sanders makes Jeremy Corbyn look moderate.
This discussion has been closed.