Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impeachment polling’s getting worse for Trump

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Outside of TV I have never actually aeen anyone use Cocaine.

All the people I know who use cocaine work in TV too.

Oh, not what you meant...
  • Options

Byronic said:

Question: how many people on here want Boris to fail?

I’m guessing hardcore Corbynites, who don’t care about Brexit. Any others? Any ultra Remainers who still prefer Remain, even at the risk of No Deal? Or maybe some BXPers?

I want Johnson to fail because I loathe him as an individual, but I'd be relieved to see this stage of Brexit resolved in a reasonable and orderly way.
    Yep I think that is reasonable. A negotiated Brexit followed by new leaders for both main parties would be a big win
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

I’m guessing hardcore Corbynites, who don’t care about Brexit. Any others? Any ultra Remainers who still prefer Remain, even at the risk of No Deal? Or maybe some BXPers?

I will laugh my head off if Boris Johnson fails spectacularly and looks a fool, unless it means that Nazi apologist Corbyn gets in in which case I shall despair.
    Not quite an answer. Do you WANT him to fail?
    Yes, because what he's trying to do at this moment is irresponsible, dangerous and will at best be highly divisive and damaging if he succeeds.

But I don't want a government led by monsters like Corbyn and Macdonnell to be the price of that failure.
    Still not an answer. Yes or no.
    Yes, because what he's trying to do at this moment is irresponsible, dangerous and will at best be highly divisive and damaging if he succeeds.

Which part of 'yes' did you not get?
    The bit where you heavily qualified it with “but, Corbyn”

Your position is insane. You would imperil the country because of your extreme Remainerism.
    In this case it not extreme Remainerism. It is a completely irrational hatred of Cummings. ydoethur would rather see the whole world burn than have Cummings actually achieve anything.
    I'd love for him to achieve something. It's rather sad that his life has been a total and utter failure and everything he's touched has been a disaster.

Unfortunately it's a function of his weak character, stupidity and incompetence, so it seems unlikely he will achieve anything.
    Who? Corbyn? 😉
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

How many on PB use cocaine or know someone that does?

Outside of TV I have never actually aeen anyone use Cocaine. Which is kind of strange as I know a fair few people who use heroine in various ways and plenty who use Canabis in one form or another
    It’s been the lead story on sky all day and whilst I doubt it infiltrates my world I was wondering about how prevalent it is. The real problem is the crack cocaine and crystal meth that goes who can’t afford the real stuff
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900
    edited October 2019
    Boris has got to serve as PM for another 40 days and 40 nights to beat George Canning and not be the shortest serving PM ever.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Jonathan said:

Boris cares about one thing. Is it possible that the power of his self-love, the desire to save his own skin, is enough to crack Brexit? It’s just about believable.

"We're heading for something
    Somewhere I've never been
    Sometimes I am frightened
    But I'm ready to learn
    Of the power of self-loooooooooove!"
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Outside of TV I have never actually aeen anyone use Cocaine. Which is kind of strange as I know a fair few people who use heroine in various ways and plenty who use Canabis in one form or another
    It’s been the lead story on sky all day and whilst I doubt it infiltrates my world I was wondering about how prevalent it is. The real problem is the crack cocaine and crystal meth that goes who can’t afford the real stuff
    Tbh, anyone who has worked in media, banking or law will have seen or done coke.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,965
    If anybody is interested in GBP, it's rising against EUR at about 1 cent every two hours, and a similar rate against USD. It's gone from a near-month low this morning to a near-month high now. It's now £1=$1.245 and £1=1.135 at 20:40GMT. If it continues to rise at its present rate it'll hit 1.17EUR and 1.28USD by 9am.

Woo.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

I'm sure Byronic can tell you...
    Of course. The gender transient male modelling community is coke addled to the hilt.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Boris has got to serve as PM for another 40 days and 40 nights to beat George Canning and not be the shortest serving PM ever.

Well he could go off into the wilderness to achieve said goal
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Cyclefree said:

On the far more interesting subject of vacuum cleaners, I had a GTech as well: a main one and a handheld one. Both broke down. Rubbish. As did my Bosch handheld.

The old upright Panasonic was the best. My Henry was pretty good for years but it too broke down. I've had a Miele which now needs repair.

Basically there is little point spending any money on all these fancy bits of equipment, including kettles or toasters, because they all break down after a bit. Trying to find a repair shop is a bit of an endeavour. If we want to stop filling the land or the oceans with rubbish, reinstating the concept of repair shops / services would be a start. As well as building things that last.

I have recently taken to using a sharp handheld brush on my carpeted stairs. Works just as well and gives my arms a workout at the same time.

Anyway that's enough household tips for now.

Has bloody Brexit finally been solved? Or are we being led to the top of the hill by the Duke of York only to be led straight down again?

Dysons are sufficiently common, and sufficiently modular, that you can get them repaired quite easily.

I like Henrys for their essential simplicity.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

nichomar said:

Was that Harvey Weinstein?

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,378

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

I will laugh my head off if Boris Johnson fails spectacularly and looks a fool, unless it means that Nazi apologist Corbyn gets in in which case I shall despair.

But I don't want a government led by monsters like Corbyn and Macdonnell to be the price of that failure.

Your position is insane. You would imperil the country because of your extreme Remainerism.
    In this case it not extreme Remainerism. It is a completely irrational hatred of Cummings. ydoethur would rather see the whole world burn than have Cummings actually achieve anything.
    I'd love for him to achieve something. It's rather sad that his life has been a total and utter failure and everything he's touched has been a disaster.

Unfortunately it's a function of his weak character, stupidity and incompetence, so it seems unlikely he will achieve anything.
    Who? Corbyn? 😉
    The sad truth of the matter is that there are far too many people in politics it could refer to right now. Johnson, Cummings, Milne, Corbyn, Raab, Lavery, Burgon.

It only doesn't apply to Pidcock, Long Bailey, Rayner, Cat Smith and Patel because they're the wrong gender and can't be called 'he.'
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900
    nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

If an election is agreed on 21st October for 26th/28th November Boris will remain PM during that time and that will get him past Canning whatever the result of the election might be.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,427
    viewcode said:

If anybody is interested in GBP, it's rising against EUR at about 1 cent every two hours, and a similar rate against USD. It's gone from a near-month low this morning to a near-month high now. It's now £1=$1.245 and £1=1.135 at 20:40GMT. If it continues to rise at its present rate it'll hit 1.17EUR and 1.28USD by 9am.

Woo.

My post lunch coffee probably paid for itself ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

If an election is agreed on 21st October for 26th/28th November Boris will remain PM during that time and that will get him past Canning whatever the result of the election might be.
    But will he see the light or the burning bush whilst wandering the desert
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    edited October 2019
    Byronic said:

I want him to fail because I always want the opposite of what the right wing shitbags on here want.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    edited October 2019
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

On the far more interesting subject of vacuum cleaners, I had a GTech as well: a main one and a handheld one. Both broke down. Rubbish. As did my Bosch handheld.

The old upright Panasonic was the best. My Henry was pretty good for years but it too broke down. I've had a Miele which now needs repair.

Basically there is little point spending any money on all these fancy bits of equipment, including kettles or toasters, because they all break down after a bit. Trying to find a repair shop is a bit of an endeavour. If we want to stop filling the land or the oceans with rubbish, reinstating the concept of repair shops / services would be a start. As well as building things that last.

I have recently taken to using a sharp handheld brush on my carpeted stairs. Works just as well and gives my arms a workout at the same time.

Anyway that's enough household tips for now.

Has bloody Brexit finally been solved? Or are we being led to the top of the hill by the Duke of York only to be led straight down again?

Dysons are sufficiently common, and sufficiently modular, that you can get them repaired quite easily.

I like Henrys for their essential simplicity.
    I know that they all went to private schools and are generally nice but dim, but I think you're being a bit sweeping in categorising all people with that name in that way. Anyway they all call themselves Harry don't they?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Who? Corbyn? 😉
    The sad truth of the matter is that there are far too many people in politics it could refer to right now. Johnson, Cummings, Milne, Corbyn, Raab, Lavery, Burgon.

It only doesn't apply to Pidcock, Long Bailey, Rayner, Cat Smith and Patel because they're the wrong gender and can't be called 'he.'
    I know as a nation we have erred in our past, as every nation has, but we’ve been far from the worst. And on balance, everything considered, done more good than bad.

What have the people of this nation done to deserve this complete shower? (Shower being the most polite term I can use. I have several others)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,965
    nichomar said:

Me, no (obvs). When I posted on here deprecating Gove for his cocaine use, it was the equivalent of dropping a rather large wobbly fart in church. I received some very interesting responses: one condemned me as a snitch, another pointed out that they couldn't arrest him because slebs used it so it wouldn't be fair. So I assume at least one PB poster does.

There is of course a famous photograph of a former politician in the company of a rather jolly black lady with insufficient clothing at table with some white powder in front of them. Perhaps it was sherbet.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

I want him to fail because I always want the opposite of what the right wing shitbags on here want.
    It seems rather sad that you take as a point of pride defining yourself entirely by opposition to other people.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    It’s very unlikely Varadkar would have been so positive if what he offered or what Johnson might concede on wouldn’t be acceptable to the EU at least to go into proper negotiations.

The sticking point as ever is the DUP who have been used by some of the ERG as a reason not to vote for earlier deals .

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140

The lack of any word from Boris suggests to me he is having to try and extract an unpalatable concession from the DUP. But if they give it, he will have forged a deal with Varadker.

Is the DUP really in a position to veto a deal now?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,427
    BREAKING: Kezia Dugdale resigned from the Labour Party shortly after stepping down as MSP
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    edited October 2019

I have visions of Newsnight hastily rehashing the show to cover toasters and vacuum cleaners in place of Brexit and Kurdistan.

Are you saying that Newsnight sources PB for its output? Is OGH aware he is due royalties? Or at least a licensing fee?
    And if so why am I not on it? It would be unmissable TV viewing. I am not at all, in real life, the restrained country mouse you see here.

:wink:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Chris said:

The lack of any word from Boris suggests to me he is having to try and extract an unpalatable concession from the DUP. But if they give it, he will have forged a deal with Varadker.

He needs them on board. Then the tumblers click - and the Brexit deal safe opens.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    Scott_P said:

One of the best comments I ever read in a newspaper went along the lines of: Most of the coke users I know, buy organic food and fairtrade coffee & chocolate, but they happily give up their money to support vicious, corrupt and violent organised crime ruining the lives of millions in developing countries.
  • Options

Chris said:

He needs them on board. Then the tumblers click - and the Brexit deal safe opens.
    When negotiating with the DUP on something like this which is best? Good news first or bad News first? Hmmm.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

It seems rather sad that you take as a point of pride defining yourself entirely by opposition to other people.
    ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀)

I can't see you. I'm wearing Toryblockers™.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Yes?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nichomar said:

Me, no (obvs). When I posted on here deprecating Gove for his cocaine use, it was the equivalent of dropping a rather large wobbly fart in church. I received some very interesting responses: one condemned me as a snitch, another pointed out that they couldn't arrest him because slebs used it so it wouldn't be fair. So I assume at least one PB poster does.

There is of course a famous photograph of a former politician in the company of a rather jolly black lady with insufficient clothing at table with some white powder in front of them. Perhaps it was sherbet.
    I do at times wonder what I missed, the few experiments with canabbis were not terribly successful but we’re not life changing but I’m not aware of an active market for either on the costa Blanca
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

It's not just right-wing shitbags who want Leeds to stay in the Championship.....
  • Options

Chris said:

Considering people have been telling us the ERG won't vote against a deal because they'll be out of a job, and considering Johnson has lost his majority and we're heading for an election, does he really need them on board?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Chris said:

What’s inside a turd with gold glitter or the path to his re election?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nichomar said:

I don't know who you mean, so I Googled "photograph of a former politician in the company of a rather jolly black lady with insufficient clothing at table with some white powder in front of them." All the results were boring and were certainly not the photo opportunity referred to above!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,373

Chris said:

Stuff their mouths with gold.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

But they want him to fail because they want no deal because therwilloftherpeopleinnit. It's pinko faggot scum like me who want this to work.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

viewcode said:

nichomar said:

I don't know who you mean, so I Googled "photograph of a former politician in the company of a rather jolly black lady with insufficient clothing at table with some white powder in front of them." All the results were boring and were certainly not the photo opportunity referred to above!
    GO find out. 😂
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Byronic said:

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

On topic, Donald Trump is alienating part of his coalition over Syria. He needs it to hold firm to stay safe.

Trump has even lost the evangelicals - because they are loyal to the Syrian Christians now being attacked by the Islamist Turk.

This repulsive betrayal corrodes Trump’s base in a very unique way. It could finish him. Let’s hope so.
    Backing Erdogan over our allies the Kurds was an extraordinary decision, seeming lacking any kind of understanding of the consequences.

My gut is that Trump doesn't really care about the Kurds, and someone he respects (Erdogan) asked him for a personal favour, and Trump likes giving personal favours and people being obligated to him, so he went for it.

As in, in a phone call, he said "yeah, go for it".

Which is why, of course, Presidents and the like have advisors.
    I question whether he even understands what a Kurd IS.

The more I watch Trump, the more convinced I become: that he has some major and worsening cognitive deficit. Possibly early Alzheimer’s?
    Lemons
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Chris said:

What’s inside a turd with gold glitter or the path to his re election?
    Well, we know what's inside a turd with gold glitter.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

viewcode said:

nichomar said:

A man who seems to have acquired a lot of jobs since leaving Parliament, including a prominent role in the print media?
  • Options
    I would genuinely laugh very hard if Bozza managed to get a deal over the line.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀)

They appear to be blocking things other than Tories then, so I'd speak to the manufacturers.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Quincel said:

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile Hillary Clinton was last traded at 14.5 for the Democratic nomination.

That's the smart money going on her, right?
    Now been matched at 11.5!

Imagine if she was the Dem nominee in 2020 but didn't face Trump. Now that would be bizarre.

Strongly suspect (and deep bets on) the opposite happening though. No Hillary, but Trump as nominee.
    She can't beat Obama.

She can't beat Trump.

Who can she actually beat?
    Her husband (allegedly)
    Did she ever come clean about that?
    Of course not
  • Options

eristdoof said:

viewcode said:

nichomar said:

A man who seems to have acquired a lot of jobs since leaving Parliament, including a prominent role in the print media?
    A former chancellor of the exchequer? Whose keyword rhymes with prosperity?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'd laugh if he did that, then lost an election.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Considering people have been telling us the ERG won't vote against a deal because they'll be out of a job, and considering Johnson has lost his majority and we're heading for an election, does he really need them on board?
    Yes. Because then the Kinnock Krew are onboard too. And it has the numbers.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Who? Corbyn? 😉

What have the people of this nation done to deserve this complete shower?
    Create that shower.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Lose to who, though? One of the reasons Jez has made up a bunch of non-reasons to oppose the Boris deal is because Boris wins a huge majority after securing a deal.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Channel 4 News- Reporter, Lindsey Hilsum saying that the Kurds fought with the British during Second World War to prevent a Nazi coup in Iraq.

The Kurds are not a saintly people - who is? - but they are reliably the best allies of the west in the Mid East, and the likeliest to evolve into a liberal democracy as we know it.

Which is why Trump’s casual betrayal is so nauseating.
    The Kurds still remember the shameful European betrayal of Salah ah-Din Yusuf. Even though they took their revenge in a truly spectacular fashion
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2019
    In response to the two big personal questions of the evening:

1. I'm with Alastair on ironing, although I'm useless at it. Despite being useless, it's very satisfying as long as you limit yourself to extremely easy challenges, like handkerchiefs.

2. I've never known a single person who to my knowledge took cocaine or heroin, or even marijuana since student days.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GIN1138 said:

He has certainly set the bar very low for his successor. Who else could turn a parliamentary majority (with DUP support) from 1 to - 40 odd within the first few months of their premiership? He also looks scruffy and unkempt! BJ should be sacked and some vagrant off the street could replace him. At least they would look smarter and given the level of incompetence BJ has displayed, have a good chance of doing a better job!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,157
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀)

Where can I obtain this miraculous device?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Do journalists have to fill the information vacuum with clueless nonsense .

No one knows what if any compromises were made today .

Pestons opening sentence:

“I pass on, with little confidence or understanding”

!!! So why are you spreading gossip?
  • Options
    Funny how some people are praising the alleged no detail Johnson deal regardless of what it is before it is even explained deal because they want a boris (whatever the fuck it is deal) so that boris can win the next election to lead us to the newsunlit uplands of Singapore north.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Lose to who, though? One of the reasons Jez has made up a bunch of non-reasons to oppose the Boris deal is because Boris wins a huge majority after securing a deal.
    I think the public's reaction will be hard to predict. Might not some people be backing Boris now as the only means of delivering Brexit, but consider it job done once that is achieved? Labour leavers would have even less reason to consider leaving Labour, since the matter was dealt with (at least, the major first hurdle). Will Farage's inevitable cries of stitch up and betrayal cut through meaningfully? No want the IndyRef but it didn't lead to reward for its proponents.

Of course, a big majority is certainly possible if Boris secures a deal and can see it approved, but several theories exist which say he gets a big majority if he fails to get a deal too, and since I cannot accept it is inevitable he wins a big majority I'm far from certain it will be the case.
  • Options

Chris said:

Stuff their mouths with gold.
    Molten, à la GoT?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Funny how some people are praising the alleged no detail Johnson deal regardless of what it is before it is even explained deal because they want a boris (whatever the fuck it is deal) so that boris can win the next election to lead us to the newsunlit uplands of Singapore north.

Rather Singapore north than Venezuela north. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895

GIN1138 said:

He has certainly set the bar very low for his successor. Who else could turn a parliamentary majority (with DUP support) from 1 to - 40 odd within the first few months of their premiership? He also looks scruffy and unkempt! BJ should be sacked and some vagrant off the street could replace him. At least they would look smarter and given the level of incompetence BJ has displayed, have a good chance of doing a better job!
    Chance the Gardener....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,786
    So Boris gets the deal. The DUP are on board with a NI only soft Brexit. Then what? It doesn't solve anything for car manufacturers ( previous thread), fishermen, farmers, pharma, financial services, users of Kent roads, third country arrangements. The EU doesn't care too much. It's got most of the stuff it wants from the Withdrawal Agreement. Everything else is still to be negotiated.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
  • Options

nichomar said:

Glorious typo 😂😂
  • Options

1. I'm with Alastair on ironing, although I'm useless at it. Despite being useless, it's very satisfying as long as you limit yourself to extremely easy challenges, like handkerchiefs.

2. I've never known a single person who to my knowledge took cocaine or heroin, or even marijuana since student days.

Oddly enough marijuana was very prevalent in our Somerset village in the early 2000’s amongst not just the teenagers but their parents.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Tbh, anyone who has worked in media, banking or law will have seen or done coke.
    I never have
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,998
    edited October 2019
    Tonight my Dad & I went to listen to Matthew Syed give a talk about his new book, "Rebel Ideas" in Holborn... he talked a lot about the advantage of cognitive diversity, and in particular not letting the dominance hierachy get in the way of new ideas from unproven individuals. The dangers of groupthink. I'll never get a job in his office as I agree
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    I think we can probably file that under least surprising revelation of the year.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    eristdoof said:

Scott_P said:

One of the best comments I ever read in a newspaper went along the lines of: Most of the coke users I know, buy organic food and fairtrade coffee & chocolate, but they happily give up their money to support vicious, corrupt and violent organised crime ruining the lives of millions in developing countries.
    So the article was calling for Organic Fairtrade Cocaine to be made available?

It would be a step forward.

To my knowledge I don't know anyone who has used anything stronger than a joint.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀)

Where can I obtain this miraculous device?
    Not a good idea to frequently wear them, anyway.
    As someone commented earlier on, first rule of warfare: Know your enemy!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,807

I like doing the ironing. It’s the one thing in the week which starts in disorder and ends tangibly in order.

I enjoy ironing. Indeed we have the ironing board permanently up, and iron my shirt freshly every morning.
  • Options

1. I'm with Alastair on ironing, although I,'m useless at it. Despite being useless, it's very satisfying as long as you limit yourself to extremely easy challenges, like handkerchiefs.

I have known people who have taken Cocaine, MDMA (E), Speed, Marijuana (skunk), Ephedrine, Magic Mushrooms Poppers and Acid. I don't know anyone who does Drugs now as all the people I knew were at University who did that sort of thing. I sometimes smell a whiff of Marijuana when I am walking in local towns and am amazed at the brazen act of smoking it in public in the day time! Generally I walk past someone smoking it once or twice a month. I don't think drugs should be legalised or decriminalised as they are the road to ruin...
  • Options
    The drug takers or former drug takers I've met who are the most messed up are ones who have used meth.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    Foxy said:

I like doing the ironing. It’s the one thing in the week which starts in disorder and ends tangibly in order.

I enjoy ironing. Indeed we have the ironing board permanently up, and iron my shirt freshly every morning.
    A 'Just in Time' ironing policy. A true enthusiast would do a full week's worth on a Sunday evening.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    HYUFD rapid rebuttal in 5... 4...
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Remainers like myself are in a difficult position .

The two characters I most despise from the EU ref campaign are Johnson and Cummings .

It would give me an enormous pleasure to see both fail , the problem is this isn’t a scenario where their failure guarantees redemption for us Remainers .

And redemption as we may see it ignores the stark reality of where we are .

We can’t wish away the last three years , we can’t ignore the fact the vote happened , we can’t ignore the huge polarization and division in the country .

I think it’s fair to say that as no deal became the apparent only true Brexit that the Remainer wing reacted by going the other way .Where any compromise was now no longer possible .

And for a large part of those three years Remainers have felt completely ignored and that any deal would essentially not even offer a few scraps of comfort .

We can bemoan this and can feel very angry and refuse to accept the reality , there are now very few good options left .

Does anyone seriously think either an election before Brexit or another EU ref won’t be a ghastly affair where the toxicity and division won’t reach even further down into the cesspit .

What’s left of the country after that ?

The reality as I see it is the only way forward is with a deal and I do think it’s now best for both the EU and the UK .

I think Remainers need to accept that on Brexit itself, this battle is now over , Brexit will and should happen .

I’d much rather now have a debate over the future relationship , this is an area that is less toxic and doesn’t need to be one where original Remainers and Leavers can’t find some common ground .

I expect some Remainers in here won’t be that impressed by my acceptance that Brexit will happen .

I’m very sad about Brexit, I think it’s a historic mistake but I fear much worse with either a no deal or another EU referendum .

Both I think would be catastrophic on different levels . Sorry if this sounds hyperbolic but that’s where I’m at after a lot of thought .
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I think we can probably file that under least surprising revelation of the year.

We will know when the cycle of optimism for a deal being made (and then approved by the Commons) then hope being dashed is over, when we finally get to a point where you cannot immediately state that if Ireland/EU are happy the DUP are not happy, and vice versa. No clearer sign could demonstrate something useful has been achieved.
    Is the Democratic nomination hers to lose now? It's so long to go, but from a casual glance she looks strong, competent and not beset by obviously fatal weaknesses.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I was talking to someone this afternoon, who thought No Deal would mean a two year transition period. How do these people get these ideas? They were put right by another member of the gathering in that No Deal means No Transition!
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

viewcode said:

nichomar said:

May be add “editor of local free newsheet” to your search?
  • Options
    If there is a deal made I wonder how Nandy and the others will explain not voting for it this time (the undoubted horribleness of Boris is not in itself a reason).
  • Options

nichomar said:

I was talking to someone this afternoon, who thought No Deal would mean a two year transition period. How do these people get these ideas? They were put right by another member of the gathering in that No Deal means No Transition!
    Given some former Cabinet Members have stated the same thing I'm not surprised others believe it too.
  • Options

1. I'm with Alastair on ironing, although I,'m useless at it. Despite being useless, it's very satisfying as long as you limit yourself to extremely easy challenges, like handkerchiefs.

I have known people who have taken Cocaine, MDMA (E), Speed, Marijuana (skunk), Ephedrine, Magic Mushrooms Poppers and Acid. I don't know anyone who does Drugs now as all the people I knew were at University who did that sort of thing. I sometimes smell a whiff of Marijuana when I am walking in local towns and am amazed at the brazen act of smoking it in public in the day time! Generally I walk past someone smoking it once or twice a month. I don't think drugs should be legalised or decriminalised as they are the road to ruin...
    It’s a difficult subject but criminalization is not working and attempts to legislate are rapidly being overtaken by chemical developments. An honest debate about how legislation and control may be better would be welcome. Let’s not forget the real future problem is not going to be illegal drugs but prescription narcotics any solutions?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

So Boris gets the deal. The DUP are on board with a NI only soft Brexit. Then what? It doesn't solve anything for car manufacturers ( previous thread), fishermen, farmers, pharma, financial services, users of Kent roads, third country arrangements. The EU doesn't care too much. It's got most of the stuff it wants from the Withdrawal Agreement. Everything else is still to be negotiated.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the general population realise that if we leave with a deal, that's only the start of the real Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    Given Republican nominees still strongly support Trump I fail to see why he will not still be the Republican nominee in 2020 and given the Senate is still in GOP hands I doubt he will be successfully impeached either given any Republican Senator who tries to do so will face a primary challenge
  • Options

nichomar said:

David Davis still not getting it?
  • Options
    As I have said the only way a Deal is agreed is with a Tory majority after the next general election he
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

Remainers like myself are in a difficult position .

The two characters I most despise from the EU ref campaign are Johnson and Cummings .

It would give me an enormous pleasure to see both fail , the problem is this isn’t a scenario where their failure guarantees redemption for us Remainers .

And redemption as we may see it ignores the stark reality of where we are .

We can’t wish away the last three years , we can’t ignore the fact the vote happened , we can’t ignore the huge polarization and division in the country .

I think it’s fair to say that as no deal became the apparent only true Brexit that the Remainer wing reacted by going the other way .Where any compromise was now no longer possible .

And for a large part of those three years Remainers have felt completely ignored and that any deal would essentially not even offer a few scraps of comfort .

We can bemoan this and can feel very angry and refuse to accept the reality , there are now very few good options left .

Does anyone seriously think either an election before Brexit or another EU ref won’t be a ghastly affair where the toxicity and division won’t reach even further down into the cesspit .

What’s left of the country after that ?

The reality as I see it is the only way forward is with a deal and I do think it’s now best for both the EU and the UK .

I think Remainers need to accept that on Brexit itself, this battle is now over , Brexit will happen .

I’d much rather now have a debate over the future relationship , this is an area that is less toxic and doesn’t need to be one where original Remainers and Leavers can’t find some common ground .

I expect some Remainers in here won’t be that impressed by my acceptance that Brexit will happen .

I’m very sad about Brexit, I think it’s a historic mistake but I fear much worse with either a no deal or another EU referendum .

Both I think would be catastrophic on different levels . Sorry if this sounds hyperbolic but that’s where I’m at after a lot of thought .

Bravo. You’re right, of course. That is where we are. We either accept an unhappy compromise, or we proceed to a much much worse place, with no guarantee of our survival as a nation. It’s that grim.

I just hope hardcore Leavers in the Tory party (and Ulster) have the wits to make the same moral journey as you.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,998
    eristdoof said:

Scott_P said:

Peter Hitchens makes this point a lot.

Almost all my friends do it here and there... I tend to think it makes interesting characters boring, and boring characters think they're interesting
  • Options
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the general population realise that if we leave with a deal, that's only the start of the real Brexit negotiations.
    It would, and is one reason I am far from sure Boris would win big in an election held after Brexit occurs, as there would both be a lot riding on the next few years which many would not want Boris to be in charge of, and plenty of scope for some to be angry that there's still so much talking with the EU to do.
  • Options
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

True but there will at least be some goodwill left between the UK and the EU .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Given Republican nominees still strongly support Trump I fail to see why he will not still be the Republican nominee in 2020 and given the Senate is still in GOP hands I doubt he will be successfully impeached either given any Republican Senator who tries to do so will face a primary challenge

The House of Reprasentative's impeaches, so that is quite likely. The Senate decides wheteher an impeached president is removed. That is unlikely
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

Given some former Cabinet Members have stated the same thing I'm not surprised others believe it too.
    Also at the moment even with a deal the transition ends on 31/12 2020 not a lot of time to do a lot ofbwork
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The drug takers or former drug takers I've met who are the most messed up are ones who have used meth.

Never met anyone but seeing the pictures in the newspapers of addicts is truly shocking. Their faces are hollowed out and cut. I actually have seen a heroin addict I went to school with feature in a local newspaper as a one man crime spree! I went to a comprehensive school with mixed intake. The lad in question hardly ever turned up to be fair and used to fight people when he did! Some people don't know how privileged they have been in going to selective or fee paying schools. They abolished Grammar schools where I lived as a lad and instead we had a comprehensive system. It was a dreadful experience and I used to be terrified at the end of the day walking home as people would attack you!
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    HYUFD said:

The Senate acts as a jury, does it not? If the case against Trump is compelling enough, why should senators retreat into mindless partisanship?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    IBID/TIPP This week only has Warren leading Trump 48% to 46% ie no different to Hillary's 2016 popular vote lead with Trump leading Warren with Independents 49% to 43%.

https://www.investors.com/politics/americans-back-trump-impeachment-ukraine-scandal-biden-probe/
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    That’s encouraging.

My god, is Brexit actually gonna be resolved?

I will open fifteen bottles of champagne if it is. Not from joy, but from relief. It will be like getting the all-clear after three years of chemo.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Chris said:

FF43 said:

True but there will at least be some goodwill left between the UK and the EU .
    I wondered what on earth you meant - but you meant there would be more goodwill than if we'd left without a deal, I suppose!
This discussion has been closed.