Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Leave EU ad that’s causing a lot of controversy

Comments

• Options
    isam said:

The most absurd argument of the whole Brexit debacle is that which says that MPs elected on a pledge to implement the referendum result are perfectly within their rights to vote against a deal agreed with the EU because the ERG and Nigel Farage think it’s too soft. I canny believe ostensibly sensible people attempt to make it.

If you were a constituent of such an MP, wanted to leave with a compromise deal, or were a Remainer who accepted a soft Brexit, or someone whose job would be threatened by no deal, what would you say to the likes of Heidi Allen, Sarah Wollaston, etc when the fact is they voted against a deal that the EU and a Remain PM thought reasonable because they were more concerned about what Jacob Rees Mogg and Steve Baker thought? And No deal is more likely as a result

The Conservative party is not fit for purpose.

That includes the likes of Wollaston and Allen as well as the Baker-Francois gang.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

ydoethur said:

felix said:

It is also inaccurate. The UK did not win two world wars. It was on the winning side twice.

The UK had help both times. (Also just reinforcing the fact that it was not England wot won it)

Good heavens - we clearly had little help from the republic of Ireland but yes we had many allies from former colonies. The ad is very unpleasant - it's a symptom of the polarised nation we are. However, your take is pretty pathetic.
    So the USA is still viewed as a former colony?
    Didn't Russia chip in at some point?
    Of course not. Biggles won it single handed and was back in time for lunch at his club!
    Well with that comment you’ve just destroyed any right you had to be offended by the Leave EU “advert”.

They’re certainly wrong to even consider putting out such a thing but you’ve just shown yourself to be as equally crass and historically ignorant.

You obviously think you’re being clever. So well done you.
    :D:D

You need a sarcasm detector
    I have to agree with him though.

You're grossly downplaying the role of 666 Squadron in general and Algy and Ginger in particular.
    You do know that in the movie, he had a black labrador with a VERY politically incorrect name?
    That was Guy Gibson!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

ydoethur said:

felix said:

It is also inaccurate. The UK did not win two world wars. It was on the winning side twice.

The UK had help both times. (Also just reinforcing the fact that it was not England wot won it)

Good heavens - we clearly had little help from the republic of Ireland but yes we had many allies from former colonies. The ad is very unpleasant - it's a symptom of the polarised nation we are. However, your take is pretty pathetic.
    Of course not. Biggles won it single handed and was back in time for lunch at his club!
    Well with that comment you’ve just destroyed any right you had to be offended by the Leave EU “advert”.

They’re certainly wrong to even consider putting out such a thing but you’ve just shown yourself to be as equally crass and historically ignorant.

You're grossly downplaying the role of 666 Squadron in general and Algy and Ginger in particular.
    You do know that in the movie, he had a black labrador with a VERY politically incorrect name?
    Biggles? As well as Guy Gibson VC?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    ydoethur said:

egg said:

DUP RIP

Arlene Foster says that Angela Merkel's comments have revealed the 'real objective of Dublin and the EU'

'The PM's proposals have flushed out Dublin's real intentions Northern Ireland in the EU customs union forever

'We will not accept any such ultimatum or outcome'

Then face electoral destruction because the NI people of all persuasions do not support you or bad Brexit

So some good would come of a NDB?
    I stand here and say to my people, lift up your heads, lift them up to that yonder horizon where from the future comes, where the dark clouds give way to beams of sunlight and the glow of angels in the heavens, lift up your gaze, lift it up there, Netanyahu, Trump, Bojo all in jail, their party’s ruined perhaps for ever. The darkness is ending, that bright bright future will now surely come.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Who is in control of Leave.EU currently ?

Banks and Wigmore I would think?
    Who's Wigmore ?
  • Options

egg said:

Leave.eu reveals its true colours.

All leavers showing their true colours. From the triumphalism of last Wednesday to the stasi nastiness of tonight.
    What happened last wednesday as I was out of the communication loop for a few days then
    The EU had completely capitulated before Boris's greatness and were prepared to offer a time-limited backstop.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    egg said:

All leavers showing their true colours. From the triumphalism of last Wednesday to the stasi nastiness of tonight.
    "all leavers"

Have a lie down.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Alistair said:

Obviously it Solidifies his base 0 - 1 people Who think Trump admitting crimes live on TV is bad

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1181649343436091392?s=19

A fresh challenge for Trumpton HY.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

GIN1138 said:

Who is in control of Leave.EU currently ?

Banks and Wigmore I would think?
    Who's Wigmore ?
    Andy Wigmore. Another one of the "Bad Boys" of Brexit! :D
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

What movie are you talking about?
  • Options
    Couldn't they find a deeper gutter to climb into or more disgusting filth with which to smear themselves?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

eristdoof said:

Parliament is soverign where as advisory referendum are not!

Like I said keep deluding yourself. The narrative will be.one of complete betrayal and you Remaniacs will own that
    Delusion is one thing, I could give you insight into that! Actual legal basis and the fundamental basis of law is another. I dont have a problem with a deal as you advocate but i cannot see it happening under BJ! I dont think No Deal is democratically the way to go unless a. confirmatory vote is held!
    Just because something is legal does not mean it is either right or wise.

Suicide is legal but it is not something I would advocate or pursue. Revocation, either with or without a referendum is democracy committing suicide.
    I hope nobody kills themselves over Brexit!

Many people were for it but you have to remeber many were against as it removed rights!

You like Brexit because it fit your world view! There are others it did not!
    EU citizenship was imposed on me agsinst my will. Anyone who wishes to remain an EU citizen can do it by becoming a citizen of one of the other EU countries. Ghey wouldn't even have to give up British citizenship. But I cannot did myself of EU citizenship without discarding my British citizenship as well. Do please stop whining.
    You do realise that technically nobody is an "EU Citizen"? This is just shorthand for being a "citizen of a country which is in the EU". So you have just said that your British Citizenship was imposed on you against you will.

As for your second point: the conditions of becoming a citizen of an EU country depends on the country in question and most (?all) impose a minimum period of residency unless you apply through marriage, and this minimum time is longer than the time elapsed since the referendum.

Once the UK is out of the EU the UK citizens gaining German citizenship will have to give up their UK citizenship (there will be a period of grace up until the end of 2020 if there is a deal, no period of grace if there is no deal). Germany only accepts dual citizenship for minors living in Germany and citizens of EU countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_European_Union
    Do I need to contact Brussels for a new passport then?
  • Options
    Moving on from this unsavoury sideshow

The EU will offer an extension til next June. Allegedly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/08/eu-may-offer-to-extend-deadline-for-brexit-deal-to-summer
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Jonathan said:

Depressing, shameful and worrying for the future.

Agreed. It’s both pathetic and offensive.

Best ignored.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

Couldn't they find a deeper gutter to climb into or more disgusting filth with which to smear themselves?

That's reserved for the forthcoming GE.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Re Biggles, not sure, but re Wg Cdr Gibson, The Dambusters. Different war, different number of wings, engines, people, guns, etc.
  • Options
    Henry_CHenry_C Posts: 73
    edited October 2019
    FPT

Henry_C said:

Henry_C said:

Leavers understood that the sovereignty that the European Communities Act and subsequent EU treaties had ceded could be got back by leaving the EU. What they didn't understand was that the Good Friday Agreement with another EU member state had also ceded sovereignty. And there is no analogue to an "Article 50" route available for a British withdrawal from the GFA.

NI must stay in the SM and CU because otherwise there would have to be border checks, which would be in breach of the GFA. Talk of technological solutions and arguments over whether a border counts as a border if it's in a warehouse are cack. Since the GFA signatories won't all agree to meet on the Isle of Man and burn what they signed, Britain has three options: 1) renege on the GFA; 2) revoke, or 3) agree a BINO. A hard Brexit and a crashout count under 1). Unfortunately exactly none of the political parties, and so far none of the 28 governments, and no EU institution, has had the guts to say this.

Its very simple - if the British dont put up border posts then they are not in breach of the GFA.

Will Varadker though?
    In the event of a hard Brexit by agreement or crashout, he would have to, to honour Ireland's EU treaty obligations. Acting unilaterally (and not under force majeure, because the EUref was advisory) to give a party you've signed an agreement with no other lawful option than breaking the agreement is a breach of the agreement.

A big irony is that people in NI have a right to retain EU citizenship (by applying for RoI passports) under any form of Brexit.
    It isn't giving them no option.
    It would force them to choose between breaching the GFA (which could trigger a resumption of armed conflict) and breaching their EU treaty obligations (which would probably mean expulsion) - a very grave move against a neighbouring country.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,000
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

Unless I've forgotten all my history - yes.
    The United States of America was never a british colony!

Parts of the USA used to be British colonies.
    The USA was a union of former British colonies.
    Yes, but large parts of the US - a clear majority by area - were never parts of the British Empire.

Don't forget that the Louisiana Territory streched all the way up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico - indeed, it was larger than the original 13 colonies.
  • Options

egg said:

What happened last wednesday as I was out of the communication loop for a few days then
    The EU had completely capitulated before Boris's greatness and were prepared to offer a time-limited backstop.
    So another fairy story
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Byronic said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/08/eu-may-offer-to-extend-deadline-for-brexit-deal-to-summer

We could be days away from finding out the result of my bet with a former poster.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433

Turns out Cameron was wrong to say "fruitcakes, loonies, and closet racists".

Nothing "closet" about it.

Is it a '10s phenomenon to extend the behaviour of individuals to an entire group that they are purported to be representative of? It has happened twice in this thread alone. It's self-evidently idiotic, but it's tiresome to continually point out when it happens. I think I'll invent a phrase for it. It will be my 'virtue-signalling'.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Take it as a bet. Once we go beyond hallowe’en into the new EU what’s the point of a short extension? We won’t be able to GE in a wee wintry window.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Justin Trudeau?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited October 2019

isam said:

When people argue for a long time the blows get lower and lower and lower. We are at that stage now. Leave won the referendum 3 1/4 years ago, and we haven’t left - that is absolutely outrageous, and the passing of each day doesn’t make it any less so. Leave EU were always prepared to go near the knuckle, why be surprised they react like this to our continued membership of the EU?

Sounds like you are trying to defend it to me.

I don't really care what you think to be honest
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    dodrade said:

egg said:

DUP RIP

Arlene Foster says that Angela Merkel's comments have revealed the 'real objective of Dublin and the EU'

'The PM's proposals have flushed out Dublin's real intentions Northern Ireland in the EU customs union forever

'We will not accept any such ultimatum or outcome'

Then face electoral destruction because the NI people of all persuasions do not support you or bad Brexit

DUP only vulnerable in South Belfast, and even then could hang on if remain parties continue to be split. Sinn Fein abstention policy makes pacts very difficult.
    We have very little opinion polling for Northern Ireland, but the one poll that I know of did show that Northern Ireland is not free of the large swings we've seen in GB opinion polls, with the Alliance up 13 points on GE2017, the DUP down 7 and SF down 4.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Personally, I hope this gets classified as hate speech and the originator arrested and charged

Law cannot overrule politics in a democratic society.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Re Biggles, not sure, but re Wg Cdr Gibson, The Dambusters. Different war, different number of wings, engines, people, guns, etc.
    Biggles first appeared in print in 1932 and the majority of books are set in or after World War II.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Xenophobia. Pure & simple

I wonder would they have done it if the final word had been "Jew"?

Nah. Labour has copyrighted that one
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

felix said:

Beverley posts like a fifteen-year old teenager who’s grabbed a hold of her mum’s computer.
    How dare you! I would write a full response but I need to get my homework finished for school in the morning.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Interesting point by Blair about the consequences of populism. In other countries it results in the election of transient leaders. Here it results in a permanent change to our trading relationships and economy. Quite so.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,614
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

Yes, but large parts of the US - a clear majority by area - were never parts of the British Empire.

Don't forget that the Louisiana Territory streched all the way up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico - indeed, it was larger than the original 13 colonies.
    And large parts Spanish.
    Though both of those bits were acquired after the states became united.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

When people argue for a long time the blows get lower and lower and lower. We are at that stage now. Leave won the referendum 3 1/4 years ago, and we haven’t left - that is absolutely outrageous, and the passing of each day doesn’t make it any less so. Leave EU were always prepared to go near the knuckle, why be surprised they react like this to our continued membership of the EU?

I know.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

Yes, but large parts of the US - a clear majority by area - where never parts of the British Empire.

Imagine how different the world would be without the Louisiana Purchase. It turned America from a potential Great Power to a near-certain Superpower.

France reveres Napoleon, but he probably did more for the eventual hegemony of the English speaking world (and the consequent eclipse of France) than any other French leader.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Charles said:

Oooh! Well spotted!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Biggles first appeared in print in 1932 and the majority of books are set in or after World War II.
    Ah thanks - I must have stopped reading them before I got that far!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

We have the winner of the Cockwomble prize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

Florida was British, briefly. So was Washington State.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Is it Arron Banks still running this mob? Someone needs to have a word in his ear, stuff like this doesn’t convert anyone to his cause - if anything it swings a few people the other way.

I wouldn’t get that close to Banks if I was you
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

And large parts Spanish.
    Though both of those bits were acquired after the states became united.
    And Mexican. Don't forget the Mexicans.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    The poster is another example of the 'unthinkable' becoming normal.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782

Chris_A said:

As a German acquaintance of mine put it on Twitter: "The more I see the anti-EU/German rhetoric spewed by Brexiteers, the more angry I get and the more likely I will turn into a seething, frothing-at-the-mouth Remainer. I grew up with racist rhetoric and you insufferable cockwomble[s] are nothing new. I despised it then + do now too!"

Couldn't have done any better myself.

I quite agree. I wonder which of the local PB cockwombles will be the first to defend the poster?
    Do you even have to ask?

Ah, my coat. So kind... :)
  • Options
    It's a brilliant ad and the fact a major site like PB has given it substantial free media via a header printing it in full shows why.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Personally, I hope this gets classified as hate speech and the originator arrested and charged

Law is always supreme. Politics needs to be within the law.
  • Options

Interesting point by Blair about the consequences of populism. In other countries it results in the election of transient leaders. Here it results in a permanent change to our trading relationships and economy. Quite so.
    Well, he should have given us a fucking referendum on the EU Constitution, as he PROMISED, and then the hot steam of populism would have been vented, and we wouldn't be here today.

Being lectured by this desperate, lying c*nt is really more than a decent person can take. He is significantly responsible for our predicament.
  • Options

Oh dear, is this where 'leave' have descended too.

It saddens me to say, but it looks as if a failure to agree next week is going to result in a very bitter and nasty period on all sides and there is no clear resolution in sight without a deal of some kind. TM had the deal and the HOC collectively failed to see the wider picture and pass it

We would have been out now

This isn't where Leave have descended to. This is where Aaron Banks always was and is why everyone respectful wanted nothing to do with him during the referendum campaign.

Vile image and I want nothing to do with it. Bad thing is the text minus the image was correct, but the image and the ludicrous and racist message on the image take away from it completely.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Justin Trudeau?
    You know Trudeau rhymes with fellatio?

Teabagging doesn’t
  • Options
    edited October 2019

isam said:

isam said:

We have the winner of the Cockwomble prize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Leave him alone. He's minor irritant, but no need for name calling.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Simple, offensive and effective at stirring up shit.

I doubt that it was produced to win over waiving Remainers to Vote Leave. Banning it could probably attract even more attention.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited October 2019

Indeed. Closet racists, fruitcakes & loons
    Worryingly they now seem to glory in having come out.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

To be frank, with the later ones with Biggles in the Air Police, you didn't miss much.

But some of the World War II ones are very good. Biggles in the Orient and Biggles Sweeps the Desert are minor classics of the genre.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

666 squadron. Or was it the dam busters?

It was not Biggles. Those were books. It was the movie were only the squadron commander and his black labrador where left, looking wistfully along the runway waiting for aircraft that never returned and then the closing credits and music rolled in...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

FPT

So as I return from our 24 day trans Atlantic cruise having enjoyed clear blue skies at all our ports, dined on the open deck as we slipped moorings in Manhattan and sailed away in the early evening experiencing NewYork in all it's splendour and then in contrast as we sailed to Newport, Boston, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, the most glorious 'fall colours', I see that Boris is confounding his critics and is causing those who want to remain a real nervous breakdown.

The 11 sea days we had rather reflected brexit with calm seas giving way to storm force and ever deepening lows, fierce thunder storms with lightning shooting down the side of the dining room windows and then, to cap it all, and so in tune with Brexit, we entered the deepest impenetrable fog as we entered the English channel with the constant ship's fog horn making it difficult to catch sleep

All in all 8,500 miles of fun and enjoyment on a ship with virtually 95% British passengers (unusual in itself) and no one talked of Brexit at all

And for those who like trivia the head chef informed us yesterday they prepare over 22,000 meals every day, year after year, with no exceptions, for the 4,000 plus passengers and crew

Pleased to be back and hope to contribute from time to time

Welcome back Big_G! I'm afraid nothing has improved much while you've been away, it's all just got sillier.
  • Options

It saddens me to say, but it looks as if a failure to agree next week is going to result in a very bitter and nasty period on all sides and there is no clear resolution in sight without a deal of some kind. TM had the deal and the HOC collectively failed to see the wider picture and pass it

This isn't where Leave have descended to. This is where Aaron Banks always was and is why everyone respectful wanted nothing to do with him during the referendum campaign.

Vile image and I want nothing to do with it. Bad thing is the text minus the image was correct, but the image and the ludicrous and racist message on the image take away from it completely.
    Rotten Hagfish! That poster is all leave and every leaver! You are all just a big bag of jingoistic wind. You don’t have a plan.
  • Options
    Henry_CHenry_C Posts: 73
    Charles said:

The only person I've heard of who kept a dog with that name is Hugh Grosvenor, the 2nd Duke of Westminster, an anti-Semitic Tory.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

Yes, but large parts of the US - a clear majority by area - where never parts of the British Empire.

Imagine how different the world would be without the Louisiana Purchase. It turned America from a potential Great Power to a near-certain Superpower.

France reveres Napoleon, but he probably did more for the eventual hegemony of the English speaking world (and the consequent eclipse of France) than any other French leader.
    Napoleon was a Corsican - he thought in terms of the 'old world' in general and the Mediterranean in particular.

Hence his obsession with Constantinople and his invasion of Egypt.

And his lack of interest in the Louisiana territory and his misunderstanding of Russia.
  • Options

Byronic said:

We could be days away from finding out the result of my bet with a former poster.
    Remind us how many millions are at stake? Or was it boutielles du vin rouge?
  • Options

No it’s where Leave.EU are (I hesitate with “descended”)

They do not represent leave
  • Options
    Tony Blair bombing the crap out of impoverished nations to force "democracy" on them but not quite so keen of democracy at home... ;)
  • Options
    egg said:

Not one leaver here has backed this image as far as I can tell.

Banks is a marginalised troll and publicity whore. Ignore.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Byronic said:

rcs1000 said:

Gabs2 said:

eristdoof said:

felix said:

felix said:

Louisiana was depopulated. If it had remained French, I suspect English speakers would have flooded it illegally and done a Texas.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Well, he should have given us a fucking referendum on the EU Constitution, as he PROMISED, and then the hot steam of populism would have been vented, and we wouldn't be here today.

Being lectured by this desperate, lying c*nt is really more than a decent person can take. He is significantly responsible for our predicament.
    Labour would be streets ahead in the polls if Blair was still in charge.
  • Options

nielh said:

Absolutely. Democracy is to live under the rule of law.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

It was not Biggles. Those were books. It was the movie were only the squadron commander and his black labrador where left, looking wistfully along the runway waiting for aircraft that never returned and then the closing credits and music rolled in...
    I think you're thinking of a scene from 633 Squadron, which was nothing to do with either a Gibson or Biggles, and muddling it up with the Dam Busters, as there was no dog in 633 Squadron,
    https://youtu.be/x2m6GU-fK78
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

To be frank, with the later ones with Biggles in the Air Police, you didn't miss much.

But some of the World War II ones are very good. Biggles in the Orient and Biggles Sweeps the Desert are minor classics of the genre.
    I had a friend who collected the Biggles novels. He has alas now passed away. I did have the unfortunate habit of inquiring if he had succeeded in finding 'Biggles flies undone' and 'Biggles and Ginger go behind the Hangar'.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    GIN1138 said:

Tony Blair bombing the crap out of impoverished nations to force "democracy" on them but not quite so keen of democracy at home... ;)
    Quite. It is never a good look to be avoiding the judgment of the people, especially when trying to overturn a democratic result.
  • Options
    Charles said:

No it’s where Leave.EU are (I hesitate with “descended”)

They do not represent leave
    It's a mild version of the kind of thing that gets sent around on White van man type whats app groups about half a dozen times a day to be honest
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

I had a friend who collected the Biggles novels. He has alas now passed away. I did have the unfortunate habit of inquiring if he had succeeded in finding 'Biggles flies undone' and 'Biggles and Ginger go behind the Hangar'.
    That latter title would be taking the piss.
  • Options

Byronic said:

He didn't do much to help REMAIN in 2016... Probably cost them votes if anything.
  • Options

egg said:

Don’t believe you. You will be telling us next the real vote leave was above all that and didn’t benefit in 2016 from the posters of the marginalised trolls.

To vote leave is to dissociate your brains from your emotion and vote not for a workable plan just act on the same jingoism in that ad, in all their ad’s
  • Options

Byronic said:

Quite possibly. But I am still right. He is one of the main reasons we are here, in this bad place.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think you're thinking of a scene from 633 Squadron, which was nothing to do with either a Gibson or Biggles, and muddling it up with the Dam Busters, as there was no dog in 633 Squadron,
    https://youtu.be/x2m6GU-fK78

I bow to your superior knowledge. I was always more interested in the aircraft and their manoeuvres than the war story. I used to live under a flight path near the airport and spent days watching planes take off and land.

It was inevitable that one day I would learn to fly.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

The hound in Dambusters was run over the night before the big mission and quietly buried so as not to upset morale.

Not sure about 666 squadron - could it be 633 Squadron?

[edit - already answered I see]
  • Options
    egg said:

nielh said:

Absolutely. Democracy is to live under the rule of law.
    Unless it is Brexit it would seem... then the law can go hang until paradise is delivered.
  • Options

FPT

So as I return from our 24 day trans Atlantic cruise having enjoyed clear blue skies at all our ports, dined on the open deck as we slipped moorings in Manhattan and sailed away in the early evening experiencing NewYork in all it's splendour and then in contrast as we sailed to Newport, Boston, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, the most glorious 'fall colours', I see that Boris is confounding his critics and is causing those who want to remain a real nervous breakdown.

The 11 sea days we had rather reflected brexit with calm seas giving way to storm force and ever deepening lows, fierce thunder storms with lightning shooting down the side of the dining room windows and then, to cap it all, and so in tune with Brexit, we entered the deepest impenetrable fog as we entered the English channel with the constant ship's fog horn making it difficult to catch sleep

All in all 8,500 miles of fun and enjoyment on a ship with virtually 95% British passengers (unusual in itself) and no one talked of Brexit at all

And for those who like trivia the head chef informed us yesterday they prepare over 22,000 meals every day, year after year, with no exceptions, for the 4,000 plus passengers and crew

Welcome back Big_G! I'm afraid nothing has improved much while you've been away, it's all just got sillier.
    Thanks Ben and what amazes me is how Boris is still leading the polls
  • Options
    egg said:

egg said:

Don’t believe you. You will be telling us next the real vote leave was above all that and didn’t benefit in 2016 from the posters of the marginalised trolls.

To vote leave is to dissociate your brains from your emotion and vote not for a workable plan just act on the same jingoism in that ad, in all their ad’s
    You are just as much a troll as Banks.
  • Options

egg said:

To be fair, having skimmed the thread I believe that's right. We have some robust Leavers on here but few if any descend to the level of nastiness exhibited by that Leave.EU ad.
  • Options
    Going back to 2005, The Tories poster Are You Thinking What We're Thinking triggered off complaints.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-election-poster-sparks-complaints-of-racism-from-students-and-teachers-531552.html

The article mentions that the Labour Party ran posters, or ads on the internet which attacked Michael Howard and Oliver Letwin, sailing close to the wind with images which could be taken to be anti-Semitic.

Unfortunately The Indpendent's article doesn't show the posters.

• Options

FPT

Not just leading but extending. :D
  • Options
    To answer the question. A stupid and offensive advert. Also rather pointless.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    dr_spyn said:

Going back to 2005, The Tories poster Are You Thinking What We're Thinking triggered off complaints.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-election-poster-sparks-complaints-of-racism-from-students-and-teachers-531552.html

The article mentions that the Labour Party ran posters, or ads on the internet which attacked Michael Howard and Oliver Letwin, sailing close to the wind with images which could be taken to be anti-Semitic.

Yes remember that at the time.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Byronic said:

I don't think there is any evidence that Labour would be ahead if Blair was in charge, actually.

There is a certain kind of Remainer who looks wistfully back to David Miliband or Tony Blair. They are very frequent on pb.com. They normally dream of "GONUs" made up of failed Blairites.

But they are not very frequent elsewhere.
  • Options
    egg said:

Rotten Hagfish! That poster is all leave and every leaver! You are all just a big bag of jingoistic wind. You don’t have a plan.
    "We don't want to fight but by jingo if we do,
    We've got the ships, we've got the men, and got the money too!"
  • Options

Byronic said:

Brexit would be over and we would be a productive member of the EU.

Corbyn and his friends have destroyed any hope of a sensible labour party
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    What happened today? Cummings played the Nixon-madman strategy, so Merkel played it back? Will we just start again tomorrow as if nothing happened?
  • Options

FPT

An amazement which should dissipate on the mention of two words - Jeremy and Corbyn.

Welcome back, and good night.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes remember that at the time.

EDIT: As a flying pig.
    Just found those Labour Ads, now to find that Tory one.
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Banks is a socket - but this will only help Jezza chicken out for longer - because the Brexit party won’t compete in a GE.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Justin Trudeau?
    That was a yellow lab in blackface
  • Options
    How is Parliament taking being prorogued again tonight? ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

FPT

Not just leading but extending. :D
    Indeed
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    edited October 2019
    So having fought against a referendum to exercise direct democracy, and having encouraged MPs to overturn the decision reached by that exercise in direct democracy, he's now also opposed to representative democracy to hold those said MPs to account.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The hound in Dambusters was run over the night before the big mission and quietly buried so as not to upset morale.

Not sure about 666 squadron - could it be 633 Squadron?

[edit - already answered I see]

:+1:
  • Options

egg said:

egg said:

You are just as much a troll as Banks.
    Where’s your evidence to support that statement.

I’ll post it again try to wake up and grapple with it

You will be telling us next the real vote leave was above all that and didn’t benefit in 2016 from the posters of the marginalised trolls.

But it did didn’t it?

And that’s right too. Because No Deal is a world away from what was promised to get 2016 over the line, and No Deal is the outcome of going with emotion without a plan.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FPT

An amazement which should dissipate on the mention of two words - Jeremy and Corbyn.

Thanks you
  • Options
    2005 Tory Ad.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2005/apr/19/asylum.politics

Are You Thinking What We're Thinking.

There must be other examples of political dog whistling from the last 20 years.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    ydoethur said:

FPT

It looks increasingly likely that Johnson will win a November Brexit GE.

And this wouldn't even be remotely possible if Corbyn wasn't leading Labour.
This discussion has been closed.