Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters rate Johnson’s chances of taking the UK out of the EU

Comments

• nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    Wow I thought he might hang on a bit longer to see if a deal happened. The Tories are losing more moderate voices.

Yes, the Party has hollowed out.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    JackW said:

Sky News - Rory Stewart resigns for the Conservative Party and will not stand at the general election.

So no UK En Marche from Rory then
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Surprised to see Rory walking away just as Boris is about to trip over his pole dancer.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Rory Stewart's resigned from the Conservative Party:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49931937

HYUFD said:

Voters agree with punters it seems but Leave voters do not blame Boris.

78% of Brexit Party voters do not blame Boris, even higher than the 73% of current Tory voters who do not blame Boris

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1180024122698600448?s=20

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1180024133360476160?s=20

36% blaming Boris is significant.
    No it isn't im afraid. This is pretty much the embedded "not BoJo at any cost" demographic. It is the much greater numbers NOT blaming Johnson and the Tories that is significant.

The Cummings/Johnson Brexit strategy looks to be turning out to be remarkably successful.
    You think that 36% of LEAVE voters blaming Boris for not leaving is not significant? Even if they are normally Labour voters, that will mean a load of ‘working class northern’ seat targets will not go Blue.
    No they will go blue if 64% of Leave voters vote Tory and over 60% of the seat voted Leave
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Sky News - Rory Stewart resigns for the Conservative Party and will not stand at the general election.

What a shock
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Maybe Rory has done some private polling and is seeing the Lib Dem Surge(tm) over Penrith?
  • DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sad. He genuinely offered something different and a more consensual way forward but unfortunately that does not accord with the times.
    Rory goes within ten years but Letwin gets more than twenty.

We have a political system not fit for purpose.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Scott_P said:
    The idea that our politics will be reduced to an eternal choice between the John Redwoods and the John McDonnells fills me with dread.
    Stewart is too good for the modern day Conservative party I wish him all the best for the future and predict we will hear of him again.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

78% of Brexit Party voters do not blame Boris, even higher than the 73% of current Tory voters who do not blame Boris

No it isn't im afraid. This is pretty much the embedded "not BoJo at any cost" demographic. It is the much greater numbers NOT blaming Johnson and the Tories that is significant.

The Cummings/Johnson Brexit strategy looks to be turning out to be remarkably successful.
    You think that 36% of LEAVE voters blaming Boris for not leaving is not significant? Even if they are normally Labour voters, that will mean a load of ‘working class northern’ seat targets will not go Blue.
    No they will go blue if 64% of Leave voters vote Tory and over 60% of the seat voted Leave
    But 64% wont vote Tory. Some will stay Labour anyway, some will vote UKIP or Brexit Party. Some will not vote at all.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr divvie,

"There's a pretty obvious way to find out what the voters want currently in this context."

Why would anyone bother voting? We had a referendum and the result was ignored. We'd be offered a choice between staying in and Remain. Leaving with a deal would not be on offer, because the EU can see no reason to negotiate now they can see the winning post in sight.

Go back to your constituencies and prepare for an accelerated political union.

HYUFD said:

60% of 52% is a good strategy?
    Given more Remainers are now voting LD than Corbyn Labour and most marginal seats are Tory v Labour still yes
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    CD13 said:

Mr divvie,

"There's a pretty obvious way to find out what the voters want currently in this context."

Why would anyone bother voting? We had a referendum and the result was ignored. We'd be offered a choice between staying in and Remain. Leaving with a deal would not be on offer, because the EU can see no reason to negotiate now they can see the winning post in sight.

Ah yes, ignored. In the last 3 years the idea of Brexiting has never been mentioned once.
    Fenster said:

JackW said:

I don't dislike Rory Stewart but how can you go from being a Tory prime ministerial candidate to resignation within a couple of months!?

It's nearly as bizarre as Sam Gymiah travelling from prospective Tory PM to Lib Dems in half that time?!

It says more about their personal narcissistic ambitions than any great love for the party that made them.
    The party did not make Stewart they were lucky to get him
    CD13 said:

Mr divvie,

Stop. I can only be so aroused.
    nichomar said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

I don't dislike Rory Stewart but how can you go from being a Tory prime ministerial candidate to resignation within a couple of months!?

It's nearly as bizarre as Sam Gymiah travelling from prospective Tory PM to Lib Dems in half that time?!

It says more about their personal narcissistic ambitions than any great love for the party that made them.
    Perhaps he might be cool enough now for Brad Pitt to finally play him in that film talked about as he will no longer be a Tory MP
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    CD13 said:

We won't leave, it won't be allowed.

The MPs calculated that delaying enough would ebb the enthusiasm of those who voted Leave, and that may well work. The EU never wanted us to leave, it would leave a £10 billion a year hole in their finances and the Germans have no intention of filling that gap.

That leaves the French to make up the deficit - don't hold your breath.

After three plus years, the MPs will claim … "We did our best, but it just isn't possible." Especially when they consistently voted against any deal. Cue … a short delay, and then a rapid advance to full political union. "It's what the voters always wanted,"

Sounds like a good idea. I was never a Euro federalist until the European referendum. Now I’m coming around to the idea. It would be a wise move, and allow our UK nations to enjoy ‘independence in Europe’ under a federal system. It’s an idea whose time has come. €€€
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

HYUFD said:

Ha! The first rule of politics is being able to count...
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Fenster said:

JackW said:

Rory Stewart has resigned because whilst he remains a conservative, the Conservative Party no longer is.

The "Conservative and Unionist" party has become the English Brexit Lite Party as party members discard the Union in favour of Brexit. Fiscal conservatism has been binned, respect for the rule of law is secondary and constitutional conventions and norms are trashed.

The Conservative party has become subsumed by the ERG death cult and the personal ambition of Boris Johnson.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    nichomar said:

Scott_P said:
    The idea that our politics will be reduced to an eternal choice between the John Redwoods and the John McDonnells fills me with dread.
    Stewart is too good for the modern day Conservative party I wish him all the best for the future and predict we will hear of him again.
    From a broad church to the cult of St. Francois.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited October 2019
    How strongly will Corbyn whip his party against the Boris deal? It seems now that its not really in his interest to let Boris get a victory, and could whip very strongly against. In that scenario, will those like Nandy Snell and Smeeth still hold out and vote for it, they could face deselection if so.
  • CD13 said:

The MPs calculated that delaying enough would ebb the enthusiasm of those who voted Leave, and that may well work. The EU never wanted us to leave, it would leave a £10 billion a year hole in their finances and the Germans have no intention of filling that gap.

After three plus years, the MPs will claim … "We did our best, but it just isn't possible." Especially when they consistently voted against any deal. Cue … a short delay, and then a rapid advance to full political union. "It's what the voters always wanted,"

Sounds like a good idea. I was never a Euro federalist until the European referendum. Now I’m coming around to the idea. It would be a wise move, and allow our UK nations to enjoy ‘independence in Europe’ under a federal system. It’s an idea whose time has come. €€€
    I'm sure you wont mind paying all the extra money which comes with it.
    edited October 2019
    Mr Song,

"'Just cos you're paranoid ......'"

I've always thought that if we did leave, it would be a BINO, and I've said so often on here. I now think even that fig leaf will be discarded.

It won't affect me much as my opinion of professional politicians was always low. I worked on the basis that if you seek election to Parliament, you have an inflated opinion of your worth. Catch 22 usually applies.

As for political union, it actually makes sense for the EU. A unified European country makes more sense than a federal system and we'll soon be enjoying that experience.
  • JackW said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

Rory Stewart has resigned because whilst he remains a conservative, the Conservative Party no longer is.

The "Conservative and Unionist" party has become the English Brexit Lite Party as party members discard the Union in favour of Brexit. Fiscal conservatism has been binned, respect for the rule of law is secondary and constitutional conventions and norms are trashed.

The Conservative party has become subsumed by the ERG death cult and the personal ambition of Boris Johnson.
    Fiscal conservatism was binned in 2010 with triple lock pensions and the tripling of student tuition fees.

How strongly will Corbyn whip his party against the Boris deal? It seems now that its not really in his interest to let Boris get a victory, and could whip very strongly against. In that scenario, will those like Nandy Snell and Smeeth still hold out and vote for it, they could face deselection if so.

If they want to defect I expect Boris would welcome them if they vote for his Deal
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    HYUFD said:

If they want to defect I expect Boris would welcome them if they vote for his Deal
    Lol, they are not going to join the Tories
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    CD13 said:

Mr divvie,

If there was a referendum between Remain and May's deal, organised by a caretaker government for example, would you not vote in it then? Even if it was a legally binding vote like the AV one?
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    CD13 said:

Mr divvie,

Great news where do I sign up . I never was up for more political union even as an arch Remainer however I have more faith in the EU to protect my rights .

Once out of the EU the Tories will run amok , next to go will be the ECHR .
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

More like démarche with his diplomatic background.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

HYUFD said:

Temporarily, perhaps, if the opposition divide the rest between several parties.
    But, rather like the Republican adoption of Trump, the abandonment of the party's principles might be eventually be fatal.
  • JackW said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

We have not one but TWO Brexit Parties:

Brexit Party (Farage)
    Brexit Party (Johnson)
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Eton really does train politicians to be quitters doesn't it?
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    148grss said:

Alistair said:

Wait the "Warren affair" story is coming from perpetual conman Jacob Wohl?

Get the fuck out of here, why the fuck is anyone on here giving it a shred of time?

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1179833719902760960?s=19

Because the right-wing-o-sphere has lost any capability they had of judging evidence fairly since Brexit and Trump, leading to partisan hackery at all points?

But it is a hilarious story.

https://splinternews.com/worlds-biggest-dipshits-hilariously-mangle-hit-job-on-e-1838750767
    Grab em by the penis..

• No shortage of money for Caerphilly council fatcats:

A council chief who was sacked after being suspended on full pay for more than six years has said he will appeal the decision.

Anthony O'Sullivan, the former chief executive of Caerphilly council, said he had "nothing to apologise for".

He was suspended in 2013 amid arguments over pay for senior staff and earned a salary of £137,000 a year since then.

Councillors decided to dismiss him without notice at a meeting on Wednesday night.

The row is thought to have cost the council more than £4m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49930673
    Mr Tonda,

"If there was a referendum between Remain and May's deal, organised by a caretaker government for example,"

I've argued that to reflect the referendum result, we should offer a choice between alternative Leave options?

This would be like your team losing in the semi-final and still going to Wembley to compete against a depleted victor?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

That doesn't really seem to be how Corbyn rolls, if there's pressure to deselect I guess it'll come from their members.
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 3,630
    https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1180024042591571968

This whole saga does not bode well for "Global Britain" it must be said. Those arguing that we have a great future of global free trade in our future must understand that many overseas are looking at us with incredulity. Japan have made it clear often, but other countries will either see us as 1) an easy mark or 2) a crazy person not worth doing business with.

Consider that all trade agreements will mean compromise, usually in the direction of the more powerful person at the table, and we are going to be the least powerful player on most tables, we are often going to get the short end of any trade deal.

Chlorinated chicken and wormy pork are only the beginning.
  • JackW said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

It's amazing how rapid the final stage of the fall has been.

Had any other modern Prime Minister acted, and been caught out, in the way this one has, they would undoubtedly have been handed the loaded revolver and tumbler of whisky by now. And yet there has not been a peep out of the Conservative ecosystem. I wouldn't be surprised if that- or the calculated insult of the "compromise plan" (also lapped up by the faithful) was the final straw.

I wish old-school Conservatives weren't reading the writing on the wall, but I can't blame them or deny what it says on the wall.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited October 2019

The only MP Corbyn has actually thrown out of the party is Fiona who went to prison, the local members could deselect them for it (or they might not) but I can't see Corbyn actually doing it. Some MPs seem to be voting for Brexit with little/limited grief, although it helps not to go as far as Hoey, mainly those in leave areas.

TBH I quite like Nandy so I wouldn't deselect her for it although I wouldn't be delighted with it but maybe I am a bit less hardline than others on this. Although I feel like some of the pro EU lot* can sound more deselection happy than the craziest Corbynista when it comes to the subject.

*Not directed at you
  • TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Surely the EU’s best chance to stop Brexit is a long extension- 1-2 years. And now is the best chance to get it before a GE.

JackW said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

We have not one but TWO Brexit Parties:

Brexit Party (Farage)
    Brexit Party (Johnson)
    UKIP are hurt by this comment...

Something old, something borrowed and something blue.
    CD13 said:

Mr divvie,

The EU is still offering the TMay-Barnier withdrawal agreement, the blockage is at the UK end.
  • 148grss said:

This whole saga does not bode well for "Global Britain" it must be said. Those arguing that we have a great future of global free trade in our future must understand that many overseas are looking at us with incredulity. Japan have made it clear often, but other countries will either see us as 1) an easy mark or 2) a crazy person not worth doing business with.

Consider that all trade agreements will mean compromise, usually in the direction of the more powerful person at the table, and we are going to be the least powerful player on most tables, we are often going to get the short end of any trade deal.

If we're the least powerful player on most tables perhaps its time to put a stop on the Overseas Aid and the foreign defence commitments.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    TGOHF2 said:

Surely the EU’s best chance to stop Brexit is a long extension- 1-2 years. And now is the best chance to get it before a GE.

Don't forget the new budget round starts from 1st april. So that's an obvious break point if they are looking for a longer extension, and it gets messy financially once we go into part of the next budget cycle.

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sad about Rory the (not so) Tory.
  • How strongly will Corbyn whip his party against the Boris deal? It seems now that its not really in his interest to let Boris get a victory, and could whip very strongly against. In that scenario, will those like Nandy Snell and Smeeth still hold out and vote for it, they could face deselection if so.

Why on earth would Labour MPs vote for a Tory proposal that has been rejected by every political party, trades union and business group in Norhern Ireland apart from the DUP? They might vote for a deal that the UK has agreed with the EU. But that is a very different thing. For a start, it's not something the ERG would vote for.

• DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    rkrkrk said:

Apart from Jo Johnson, Rory Stewart and David Cameron, which Old Etonians have flounced? Apart from their Sirships Nicholas Soames (grandson of ...) and Oliver Letwin who had flouncing thrust upon them when Boris lied about a confidence vote?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Voters agree with punters it seems we will not leave on 31st October but Leave voters do not blame Boris.

Isn't the problem that they might now start judging him on other things like his character his honesty his morality and his stinking personality?
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2019

No shortage of money for Caerphilly council fatcats:

A council chief who was sacked after being suspended on full pay for more than six years has said he will appeal the decision.

Anthony O'Sullivan, the former chief executive of Caerphilly council, said he had "nothing to apologise for".

He was suspended in 2013 amid arguments over pay for senior staff and earned a salary of £137,000 a year since then.

Councillors decided to dismiss him without notice at a meeting on Wednesday night.

The row is thought to have cost the council more than £4m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49930673

That is not the only alleged impropriety for Caerphilly Council

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49804858

The Labour Council leader also stepped down in September and was referred to the Standards Committee (dodgy share dealings, all undeclared).

Fortunately, Labour have packed the Standards Committee with their place-men & place-women. The Ombudsman for Wales Nick Bennett is also close to ‘Welsh’ Labour, having been in business with a former Labour minister.

So, I'm sure he'll be cleared, maybe slapped on the knuckles,

There is endemic mismanagement of these tiny South Walian Councils.

Sadly, under Labour, Wales has become a more corrupt & poorer version of Sicily.
  • 148grss said:

"There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govey, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raaboodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold Milk-plus, milk plus Corn Syrup or GM Soya or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old No-Deal Brexit!"
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    CD13 said:

Mr Tonda,

"If there was a referendum between Remain and May's deal, organised by a caretaker government for example,"

I've argued that to reflect the referendum result, we should offer a choice between alternative Leave options?

This would be like your team losing in the semi-final and still going to Wembley to compete against a depleted victor?

If you could be confident that all of the 52pc, when voting, were happy with either of those options that has some legitimacy. But if, for example, there’s evidence that the leaders of the campaign for the leave vote specifically argued that one of those outcomes was scaremongering and wouldn’t happen, it doesn’t seem at all reasonable to appropriate the whole 52pc as giving implied support for the outcome of the second referendum.

Basically it would be a mechanism for falsely claiming some kind of popular will for an outcome likely to be opposed by 65pc or more of the electorate, which just doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that turns out well. (Not that any of the options right now pass the ‘likely to turn out well’ test)
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Rory!!!! :open_mouth:
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Voters agree with punters it seems we will not leave on 31st October but Leave voters do not blame Boris.

Isn't the problem that they might now start judging him on other things like his character his honesty his morality and his stinking personality?
    He may be a reprobate. But he's our reprobate.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678

CD13 said:

There's a pretty obvious way to find out what the voters want currently in this context.
    “Do you want to stay in the EU?

Yes, I want to stay.
    No, I don’t want to leave.“

Fair and balanced.

• PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

The only MP Corbyn has actually thrown out of the party is Fiona who went to prison, the local members could deselect them for it (or they might not) but I can't see Corbyn actually doing it. Some MPs seem to be voting for Brexit with little/limited grief, although it helps not to go as far as Hoey, mainly those in leave areas.

TBH I quite like Nandy so I wouldn't deselect her for it although I wouldn't be delighted with it but maybe I am a bit less hardline than others on this. Although I feel like some of the pro EU lot* can sound more deselection happy than the craziest Corbynista when it comes to the subject.

*Not directed at you
    Academic, surely. Is there going to be a Boris Deal to vote on?

The Hungarian wildcard is underestimated, though. What else could explain Boris's extraordinary confidence about 31st October?
    HYUFD said:

Entirely expected. MPs have got their tactics badly wrong if they think Boris will be blamed for extending in the same way May was.
    edited October 2019
    PeterC said:

*Not directed at you

The Hungarian wildcard is underestimated, though. What else could explain Boris's extraordinary confidence about 31st October?
    I don't think there will be and I'm not sure if Nandy would vote for it, I was just going along with the hypothetical from the previous post.

Edit: On the second bit Boris loves a bit of bluster, I try not to read too much into it either way.
    PeterC said:

*Not directed at you

The anglophile Hungarian foreign minister was quite impressive on Newsnight y'day.
    edited October 2019
    That's the end of #PBTories4Rory then?

It had a decade long run so didn't do too badly. :D
    Did Rory Stewart have a yellow rosette when he fought Penrith and The Border, or has thst old quirk gone?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    nichomar said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

I liked Rory but there must be plenty of people now delighted they didn't back his leadership campaign given he's ducked out of politics, sometimes you have to stick things out when they don't go your way rather than run away (see also D Miliband). That is one thing I would give Mr Corbyn credit for during the Blair and Brown years.
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Entirely expected. MPs have got their tactics badly wrong if they think Boris will be blamed for extending in the same way May was.
    He’s going to have to defend on the Eastern Front against Swinson and on the Western Front against Farage.

When will we take Berlin?
  • PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    geoffw said:

PeterC said:

*Not directed at you

The anglophile Hungarian foreign minister was quite impressive on Newsnight y'day.
    I do wonder whether Boris/Cummings have had something stiched up with Hungary for weeks.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I never thought Rory could hold P & TB as an independent, and I guess he has concluded the same thing.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    PeterC said:

*Not directed at you

Extraordinary confidence plus a total absence of shame is Johnson's superpower. It is all bluff and bluster, ignore.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    PeterC said:

geoffw said:

PeterC said:

*Not directed at you

I do wonder whether Boris/Cummings have had something stiched up with Hungary for weeks.
    Given the foreign minister thinks no deal would be a disaster how does that work with vetoing an extension .

This Hungary veto isn’t happening no matter how hard some Leavers would hope for it.

Orban is not going to pick a fight over this with the EU.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Brom said:

I liked Rory but there must be plenty of people now delighted they didn't back his leadership campaign given he's ducked out of politics, sometimes you have to stick things out when they don't go your way rather than run away (see also D Miliband). That is one thing I would give Mr Corbyn credit for during the Blair and Brown years.

That presumes that the Conservative Party might recover. Personally I expect it to get ever more Kipperish.
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    DavidL said:

But we will and not just Spanish rights. All EU citizens already resident here will be able to stay on the same terms and conditions. The government hasn't been clear about much but they are clear about that. Going forward will be more bilateral and likely to vary from country to country.

But somehow people don't believe or trust them. I wonder why.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2019
    I'm sure that this'll have been mentioned but a bet on Tom Watson to be the next person to lose his job would be worhlooking at! They are releasing several of the redacted parts of the inquiry into the Leon Britten Harvey Procter Edward Heath etc affair this morning and according to the commentator it is devastating for the police (surprise surprise) and they expect resignatons....'What about Tom Watson?' 'Well this shows the danger of politicians trying to impose themselves on the news cycle. It was Tom Watson who helped pressurise the police into making their appaling blunders' said the lawyer.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    glw said:

Brom said:

That presumes that the Conservative Party might recover. Personally I expect it to get ever more Kipperish.
    +1 - the fact Rory and others are leaving tells you that the direction of travel for the Tory party is towards 1 issue insanity rather than returning to the centre ground.

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

He’s going to have to defend on the Eastern Front against Swinson and on the Western Front against Farage.

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

After we take Manhattan
    Early flounce from Rory - it really was all about him.
    TGOHF2 said:

You think Rory should stand and split the Tory vote in order to qualify for the parliamentary payoff for defeated MPs? It's a view crap spin line from Number 10.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Fenster said:

JackW said:

Probably by being kicked out of the parliamentary party (with presumed deselection at the next election). If that hadn't happened he'd perhaps still be there fighting to get the Conservatives back to sanity, likewise Gymiah.
    https://twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/1179712281627766784

Maybe Jake Berry is just trying to get ahead of the crowd, Kippers are standard now. The hardcore need to go further to stand out.

rkrkrk said:

Apart from Jo Johnson, Rory Stewart and David Cameron, which Old Etonians have flounced? Apart from their Sirships Nicholas Soames (grandson of ...) and Oliver Letwin who had flouncing thrust upon them when Boris lied about a confidence vote?
    Eden, MacMillan, Goldsmith... when the going gets tough, Etonians quit?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Scott_P said:
    That's a sad reflection on the Tory party. Rory Stewart is one of the few contemporary politicians that I liked more the more I saw of him.
    That is such a shame. To think that the Tory party and the country prefers people like Mark Francois to him........eugh!

:(
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

This has aged pretty well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ

edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:

That makes him different from Boris does it? Or any of the other candidates?

TGOHF2 said:

You think Rory should stand and split the Tory vote in order to qualify for the parliamentary payoff for defeated MPs? It's a view crap spin line from Number 10.
    If 90+% of his colleagues prefer Boris over Rory then he’s unlikely to be the Messiah.
    Roger said:

I'm sure that this'll have been mentioned but a bet on Tom Watson to be the next person to lose his job would be worhlooking at! They are releasing several of the redacted parts of the inquiry into the Leon Britten Harvey Procter Edward Heath etc affair this morning and according to the commentator it is devastating for the police (surprise surprise) and they expect resignatons....'What about Tom Watson?' 'Well this shows the danger of oliticians trying to impose themselves on the news cycle. It was Tom Watson who helped pressurise the police into making their appaling blunders'

Tom Watson just seems like some weirdo, peado obsessed conspiracy theorist odd ball now.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Selebian said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

Probably by being kicked out of the parliamentary party (with presumed deselection at the next election). If that hadn't happened he'd perhaps still be there fighting to get the Conservatives back to sanity, likewise Gymiah.
    As an aside, don't want our politicians to have any great love for their party. I want them to be principled and do what they think is right and best for the country. I appreciate it's hard, but I've much more respect for those who quit cabinet/ministerial posts/their party than those who vote for things they obviously don't believe in. I lost respect for Amber Rudd when she joined Johnson's cabinet (particularly after he previous comments) regained some when she quit.
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

If 90+% of his colleagues prefer Boris over Rory then he’s unlikely to be the Messiah.
    It also says a hell of a lot about the judgement of the Conservative Party.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

I'm sure that this'll have been mentioned but a bet on Tom Watson to be the next person to lose his job would be worhlooking at! They are releasing several of the redacted parts of the inquiry into the Leon Britten Harvey Procter Edward Heath etc affair this morning and according to the commentator it is devastating for the police (surprise surprise) and they expect resignatons....'What about Tom Watson?' 'Well this shows the danger of oliticians trying to impose themselves on the news cycle. It was Tom Watson who helped pressurise the police into making their appaling blunders'

Tom Watson just seems like some weirdo, peado obsessed conspiracy theorist odd ball now.
    Seems like? ;)
    Selebian said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

Well he didn’t get thrown out by accident - he did it through disloyalty.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    glw said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I'm pretty sure Rory wouldn't be polling 10 points ahead of Labour. Their judgement is fine, it was a weak bunch of candidates and they chose the guy with the best chance of winning them an election.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I rebacked Harris the other day to fill in a hole I had on her winning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7536919/Kamala-Harris-asks-Nevada-town-hall-audience-ready-presidency-say-no.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus

Not sure I should have bothered !
    Brom said:

nichomar said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

Agree with this. He wanted to be prime minister, and when that became unlikely, decided to quit. Same with David Miliband really.
    edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

Tory MPs, the self-styled most sophisticated electorate in the world, always lumber themselves with the wrong leader. It is an iron law of politics, dating back to when the damn fools elected Mrs Thatcher by mistake.
    Found image of Rory Stewart with Yellow and Blue rosette.
    https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/16699216.tory-rory-stewart-victorious-in-fight-for-penrith-and-the-border-seat/

Now to check William Whitelaw.
    rkrkrk said:

Brom said:

nichomar said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

Agree with this. He wanted to be prime minister, and when that became unlikely, decided to quit. Same with David Miliband really.
    Although I dont think Rory will ever be the king over water, but other than that, yep!
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    dr_spyn said:

Found image of Rory Stewart with Yellow and Blue rosette.
    https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/16699216.tory-rory-stewart-victorious-in-fight-for-penrith-and-the-border-seat/

Now to check William Whitelaw.

The point of that being?

• OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Selebian said:

Fenster said:

JackW said:

You would think that Stewart would be the kind of person who had good relationships with his local Association chairman and activists. If they've told him that they will be campaigning for an official Conservative Party candidate at the next election you can understand why he would not relish fighting an election against them, and the opportunity to return to the whip seems to be diminishing.
    FF43 said:

I agree the questions are a little leading, but they highlight a problem for the government with its People (ie Johnson) versus MPs rhetoric. It depends on those MPs to get Brexit through without a second referendum.

Not just that, but the whole strategy is built around a pre-brexit election, and backfires hilariously if the opposition have the presence if mind to do a GNU.

Him: BACK ME OR LOSE THE WHIP
    Them: Guess we're on the opposition side now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Him: GET BREXIT DONE
    Them: OK, you couldn't so it so we will

Him: THE PEOPLE DECIDE NOT PARLIAMENT
    Them: Referendum it is then
    Brom said:

glw said:

TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

I'm pretty sure Rory wouldn't be polling 10 points ahead of Labour. Their judgement is fine, it was a weak bunch of candidates and they chose the guy with the best chance of winning them an election.
    Spot on, the majority of Tory MPs are quiet about Boris perceived failings because they get the doorstep feedback and see the polling
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    F*ck. Just seen the Rory news. This country is utterly finished if we can't find a place for someone of his abilities, experience and talent in the government.

Tragic.

And all remaining Tory members need to take a good long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves what the point of the modern conservative movement is.

Because whatever it is, it don't relate to anything you might call good governance or traditional conservative values.

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

https://twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/1179712281627766784

Maybe Jake Berry is just trying to get ahead of the crowd, Kippers are standard now. The hardcore need to go further to stand out.

"Britain First" is what Jo Cox's killer shouted as he murdered her. If this is true then Berry should have the whip withdrawn. Assuming it happened, it is a plain expression of support for fascism and terrorism from the Tory front bench.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Scott_P said:
    RIP, the Conservative Party. 1834 to 2019.

This discussion has been closed.