Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We shouldn’t look much past Lindsay Hoyle as next Speaker

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,843

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

egg said:

DavidL said:

On Greta I think most underestimate how radical she is. This is a good article about that:https://unherd.com/thepost/greta-thunberg-post-liberal-prophet/

Is she wrong/manipulated/ignorant? I increasingly think not. I think we are seriously underestimating how urgent this is.

She is the second coming of Christ?
    No but she gets it. It’s not about green jobs or growth, it’s about undoing damage already done to our planet. I’m as big a hypocrite about this as most, I drive a diesel car for example, but we need to listen to this.
    Listening is easy and telling people that 'we need to listen to this' is even easier.

Doing is harder.

You can start with no more flights for you and your family and no car journeys beyond 50 miles :wink:
    Hmm 60 miles to my work....
    Dundee to Edinburgh ?

Could you get a park and ride from the Forth Bridge ?

Or relocate to Dunfermline ? :wink:

A cousin, born and brought up the London Commuter belt, moved to Christchurch, NZ. Found a house he and his wife liked about 20 minutes drive from his new workplace.
    His new colleagues couldn't understand how he coped with such a long commute.
    I had similar conversations when I lived there, albeit living around the corner from the hospital. With the exception of Cashmere, the posher suburbs in Christchurch were central. Hardly anyone commuted far. Wellington and Auckland more so, due to geography.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I welcome the talk of removing BoJo from office very soon. It is a pity that the PM cannot be humilated further before being defenistrated of office by having his PM salary reduced by a vote in the. H of C this week! :smiley: It has been attempted in the past by other opposition parties for instance in 2007 IIRC. Given the£100 million of advertising for no deal it would be a sensible move to reduce BoJo pay as he likes and is used to a very good standard of living...
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    JackW said:

Some interesting discussion on world rugby. I'd opt for a two division six nations north and south competition with one up and one down promotion/relegation

North -
    Div 1 - Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland, France, Italy.
    Div 2 - USA, Canada, Georgia, Spain, Romania. Russia.

South -
    Div 1 - New Zealand, Australia, S.Africa, Argentina, Japan*, Samoa.
    Div 2 - Tonga, Fiji, Uruguay, Namibia, Hong Kong, Brazil.

*Japan in south for pragmatic geographical reasons. Clearly there could also be third tier competitions.

That looks good - does m'lud have any influence in these matters?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Tabman said:

JackW said:

Some interesting discussion on world rugby. I'd opt for a two division six nations north and south competition with one up and one down promotion/relegation

North -
    Div 1 - Scotland, Wales, England, Ireland, France, Italy.
    Div 2 - USA, Canada, Georgia, Spain, Romania. Russia.

South -
    Div 1 - New Zealand, Australia, S.Africa, Argentina, Japan*, Samoa.
    Div 2 - Tonga, Fiji, Uruguay, Namibia, Hong Kong, Brazil.

*Japan in south for pragmatic geographical reasons. Clearly there could also be third tier competitions.

That looks good - does m'lud have any influence in these matters?
    Not as much as I should. :smile:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,028

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

Didn't realise I was enraged.

This is how people in my football team are seeing it

The honest answer to that question is "all of them". It's just that the annoying Greenie has a newscamera pointed at her.

There are many criticisms that can be made of Greenism as a political ideology and I make many of them. But most of the insults levelled at her recently are ad hominem
    What is with using foreign languages so we do not understand your point
    I know. It's so rechereche when the soi-disant cognoscenti adumberate ad nauseam. I shall eviscerate my Weltanschauung.

:)
    When you've done that, and cooked it, does it go well with a nice Rioja?
    You have to catch it first. Nasty bugger, an enraged Weltanschauung. Claws everywhere... :)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    THIS THREAD HAS BEEN RELEGATED
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

egg said:

DavidL said:

On Greta I think most underestimate how radical she is. This is a good article about that:https://unherd.com/thepost/greta-thunberg-post-liberal-prophet/

Is she wrong/manipulated/ignorant? I increasingly think not. I think we are seriously underestimating how urgent this is.

She is the second coming of Christ?
    No but she gets it. It’s not about green jobs or growth, it’s about undoing damage already done to our planet. I’m as big a hypocrite about this as most, I drive a diesel car for example, but we need to listen to this.
    Listening is easy and telling people that 'we need to listen to this' is even easier.

Doing is harder.

You can start with no more flights for you and your family and no car journeys beyond 50 miles :wink:
    Hmm 60 miles to my work....
    Wuss. Mine's three figures. One-way.

Did I mention the trains... :)
    Some years ago, in preparation for retirement I moved 40 miles from work. Had been 10 miles. Had a company (well, NHS employee) car and some idiot ran into the side of me. Took the car into the nominated body shop, and as I was collecting the keys for replacement asked if there were any restrictions.
    Told max 100 miles in the three days they'd need it. Said I had an 80 miles daily commute, plus I had it because I had to go all sorts of places.
    Got sorted out in the end, of course.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,301
    edited September 2019
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

Didn't realise I was enraged.

This is how people in my football team are seeing it

The honest answer to that question is "all of them". It's just that the annoying Greenie has a newscamera pointed at her.

There are many criticisms that can be made of Greenism as a political ideology and I make many of them. But most of the insults levelled at her recently are ad hominem
    What is with using foreign languages so we do not understand your point
    I know. It's so rechereche when the soi-disant cognoscenti adumberate ad nauseam. I shall eviscerate my Weltanschauung.

:)
    Whit diz aw that fandan keech mean ye mad chanty wrastler?
  • Options

eristdoof said:

What is it about Greta that upsets the middle aged white snowflakes?

I have no idea. Personally I'm barely aware of her. Just a fun and interesting person having their time in the spotlight who we'll recall in nostalgia TV programmes about their era, like Cynthia Payne, Mary Whitehouse, Basil Brush etc..
    Do you remember the pople who made a big thing of the Antarctic Ozone Hole being caused by CFCs? ... I thought not.

Nevertheless their efforts have had a huge positive effect on the global environment.
    No, but they didn't have the personal notoriety of this girl. Anita Roddick. Tonya Harding. Lady Gaga. Peewee Herman. They are celebrities that become very famous for a time, then they're forgotten and dusted down when we look back on their era. That's Greta Thornberg. I'm sure she will be there as a talking head, chuckling at her younger self.
    Lady Gaga won an Oscar, and was nominated for another, earlier this year.
    Did she? I doubt anyone will remember. She'll be remembered for dressing up in Halloween costumes in the noughties. She is redolent of that particular epoch.
  • Options
    Dominic Cummings is just a benevolent figure who wants to protect the nation from harm.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1177942638395297793
This discussion has been closed.