Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We shouldn’t look much past Lindsay Hoyle as next Speaker

Comments

• Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Tabman said:

You get the impression that there have been a few epiphanies in the last few weeks. On all sides. There's only so much swimming against the tide one can do.

You say that but I suspect there will be a few crawling back once the GE is called.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Fantastic from Japan.
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Japan take the lead - tremendous.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Canada's carbon footprint on a per person basis is fucking horrific tbh, She should have sued them before France.
    She did get a good turnout though.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1177670240563601410?s=19

https://twitter.com/PaulBadertscher/status/1177622158715080704?s=19

I'm assuming all those people walked or cycled to the event. Because if they drove there.....
    ...then they wouldn’t be driving anywhere else.

Idiot.
    Because, yes, it is obligtory for them to be driving in their cars when not out protesting about climate change.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Look up “fixed travel time budget”.

If the car owners in the crowd spent hours on their feet not driving anywhere there would have been a massive reduction in VMT, regardless how they travelled to and from the protest.

Idiot^2.

Edit. Not to count the reduction in traffic caused by other people not driving because roads were closed for the protest.
    Because closed roads never impact on drivers, causing them to greatly increase their carbon emissions as they grind along at two miles an hour on the clogged alternative routes.

Do you even drive? Does DVLC keep the terminally stupid off the roads?
    You're looking really very silly now. You made a quip that was a bit lame, but doubling down when you're obviously wrong is dumb.
    He is not obviously wrong. I've never heard anyone try and claim that a mass gathering of people results in a net reduction in carbon emissions. It is a patently absurd position. The protesters obviously felt it was worth it, as does Al Gore and his private jet, and they may be right, but that doesn't give them immunity from sarcasm.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Mr. Roger, I think my meaning's pretty clear in a thread about whether Hoyle might become the next Speaker.

Just a joke (almost)

(I was going to say people have been hung for saying that)
    hanged....
    Yes but you went to university...
    ...and a proppa Comprehensive
    Was it a former Sec Mod.?
    Yep. Was one of the first Comps in the country.

(Although I only went there because we'd moved house. Before that I was at a Technical Grammar.)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347
    SunnyJim said:

Tabman said:

You get the impression that there have been a few epiphanies in the last few weeks. On all sides. There's only so much swimming against the tide one can do.

You say that but I suspect there will be a few crawling back once the GE is called.
    Boris hasn't exactly rolled out the red carpet in preparation for that mass return.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842
    Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Mr. Roger, I think my meaning's pretty clear in a thread about whether Hoyle might become the next Speaker.

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....
    Mine was...
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

(Although I only went there because we'd moved house. Before that I was at a Technical Grammar.)
    Posho :smile:
  • Options
    houndtang said:

Hoyle seems decent, competent and even handed. So he probably has no chance from this Parliament.

Good point - MPs will pick whoever will block Brexit.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited September 2019
    Oh God, it’s a Four Yorkshiremen morning.
  • Options
    Stupid from Ireland.
  • Options

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Canada's carbon footprint on a per person basis is fucking horrific tbh, She should have sued them before France.

I'm assuming all those people walked or cycled to the event. Because if they drove there.....

Idiot.
    Because, yes, it is obligtory for them to be driving in their cars when not out protesting about climate change.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

If the car owners in the crowd spent hours on their feet not driving anywhere there would have been a massive reduction in VMT, regardless how they travelled to and from the protest.

Idiot^2.

Edit. Not to count the reduction in traffic caused by other people not driving because roads were closed for the protest.
    Because closed roads never impact on drivers, causing them to greatly increase their carbon emissions as they grind along at two miles an hour on the clogged alternative routes.

You're looking really very silly now. You made a quip that was a bit lame, but doubling down when you're obviously wrong is dumb.
    He is not obviously wrong. I've never heard anyone try and claim that a mass gathering of people results in a net reduction in carbon emissions. It is a patently absurd position. The protesters obviously felt it was worth it, as does Al Gore and his private jet, and they may be right, but that doesn't give them immunity from sarcasm.
    You may need to contact the Greta helpline, though It seems very busy.

https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1177177264779194368?s=19
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

SunnyJim said:

Tabman said:

Boris hasn't exactly rolled out the red carpet in preparation for that mass return.
    He will get a few of them back. Nokes wants to stand as a Tory again, Burt and Benyon I think will return and one or two others. Clarke, Gauke, Grieve, Hammond, Rudd and Greening are gone for good though, as are Bebb and the ridiculous Soames
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

Didn't realise I was enraged.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, when I were a lad, there was only one Yorkshireman. And he had t'man coal mine by 'imself.
  • Options

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

Other way round for me, Comprehensive before provincial Grammar . It was like leaving the white heat of technology for Tom Brown's schooldays.

However fifty years on and that excellent vanguard Comprehensive is now a mediocre Acadamy. Underfunding, societal change or just lack of interest? Who knows?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    houndtang said:

DougSeal said:

Pulpstar said:

Major is a bit of an odd one to go on about temperate language given he labelled some of his own party "bastards".

In a single private conversation that happened to picked up by a nearby mic. It was both qualitatively and quantitatively different to the current constant open, loud and repeated messaging about “surrender” and “betrayal” with the implication of treason (with all that that has historically entailed) thrown in.
    What about the chorus of the Red Flag, sung at every Labour Conference by the entire frontbench? Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer....
    Have you ever seen a bigger wobblier jelly mass assembled anywhere
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

SunnyJim said:

Tabman said:

He will get a few of them back. Nokes wants to stand as a Tory again, Burt and Benyon I think will return and one or two others. Clarke, Gauke, Grieve, Hammond, Rudd and Greening are gone for good though, as are Bebb and the ridiculous Soames
    I don't think he wants them back to a point. if he can get more brexit do or die tories in those seats it's to his advantage in the short term.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, when I were a lad, there was only one Yorkshireman. And he had t'man coal mine by 'imself.

Geoffrey Boycott?
  • Options

This is completely off topic but a must-read for anyone who writes in any capacity at all:

https://twitter.com/eliasdinas/status/1177852378483236864?s=21

Thanks for that, quite a bit in common with Orwell's rules for writing.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

SunnyJim said:

Tabman said:

I don't think he wants them back to a point. if he can get more brexit do or die tories in those seats it's to his advantage in the short term.
    I think hes hoping Brexit is done before filling the seats, in that case theres some one nation people there that would fit his domestic agenda
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,864

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

Technical Grammar - is that the sort of school where they teach you to repair split infinitives? :wink:
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Tabman said:

And Rory
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Geoffrey Boycott?
    Sir Geoffrey Boycott if you don't mind please.
  • Options

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

Technical Grammar - is that the sort of school where they teach you to repair split infinitives? :wink:
    I've never known! As it was a mining area, I think it was for pit managers.....
  • Options
    Ireland need a converted try to tie. 7 minutes to do it.....
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

Other way round for me, Comprehensive before provincial Grammar . It was like leaving the white heat of technology for Tom Brown's schooldays.

However fifty years on and that excellent vanguard Comprehensive is now a mediocre Acadamy. Underfunding, societal change or just lack of interest? Who knows?
    My ex sec mod comp has spawned reality TV stars in recent years. Oh the shame.

The odd one did escape to great things from my era (jouroj, TV producer and NASA), but it was the 80s when well to do lefty parents were still prepared to stand by their principles
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Tabman said:

Should be some good commissions for head hunters placing this crew into some cushy NGO , 5th columns type non jobs for those that don’t have Goldman Sachs lined up.
  • Options

I can see a scenario in this group where scotland, if they lose to Japan and Samoa, fail to qualify automatically for the next world cup.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

I can see a scenario in this group where scotland, if they lose to Japan and Samoa, fail to qualify automatically for the next world cup.
    Theoretically this is a good result for Scotland as it opens up the possibility of avoiding NZ in the next round. But more likely it consigns them to 3rd or 4th.
  • Options

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

The tripartite system had technical schools as the middle layer. Very few were built as they were expensive. CTCs are a reincarnation of the concept
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

Theoretically this is a good result for Scotland as it opens up the possibility of avoiding NZ in the next round. But more likely it consigns them to 3rd or 4th.
    The problem with Scotland finishing 4th is that they'd not automatically qualify for the next world cup which the qualification setup assumes will happen. (there is no method for the 6 nations to enter the qualifying)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,864

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

At my grammar school they had four classes in each year. These were streamed on abililty into : 4A, 4S, 4T, and 4X with a focus on Arts, Science, Technology and... well, just scraping through in the case of X.

Whoever thought that those with the highest ability were suited to the arts and those with lesser ability could do science and technology has a lot to answer for. I suspect it was (and still is?) symptomatic of a wider bias across the country that explains a lot about why our industry has been outperformed by most other developed countries.
  • Options
    Best game so far. The discipline and ball handling from Japan was as good as you will ever see.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited September 2019
    Amazing performance from all Japan's 16 men on the field.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    The Grammar School I attended also ‘educated’ Peter Bone. Long after I’d left it though. Clearly standards fell.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

The odd one did escape to great things from my era (jouroj, TV producer and NASA), but it was the 80s when well to do lefty parents were still prepared to stand by their principles
    Some of us still are.
  • Options
    The Irish lacked a backstop - well played Japan.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

BAU then
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

I do feel for the Conservatives, with the exception of Weatherill we have had a Labour, or Labourlite speaker since before Georgie Thomas.

I have seen on Betway that Boris Johnson is currently 100/1. Would this be instead of his current role or is it anticipated he would multi task? Mind you it could be worse, Owen Paterson is a mere 18/1 on Betway!

Owen 'meateater' Paterson is the sort of red in tooth and claw speaker we need right now.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

BAU then
    Samoa first - probably need a bonus point.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

The problem with Scotland finishing 4th is that they'd not automatically qualify for the next world cup which the qualification setup assumes will happen. (there is no method for the 6 nations to enter the qualifying)
    Don't be silly we will win rest of our games easily
  • Options
    My school gave the world Lord Nelson, Lord Ashcroft and Tim Westwood amongst others
    I mean Tim F ing Westwood. I could have had his locker!
  • Options
    Japan might have already won the group by the time they play Scotland...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

Scotland do now have to beat Samoa to have a chance (Russia being a given BP win)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    edited September 2019

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

This is how people in my football team are seeing it

• Options
    Not watched much rugby at all (awkward time for me), but impressive from Japan.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

The Irish lacked a backstop - well played Japan.

good enough for them , all their talk of how they would cruise the group, some humble pie will be on table today
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I have my doubts that Cummings, Boris or the ERG care much about convention. I'd have thought they'd be fuming about Bercow and would be keen to get a proper Tory in.

They probably are.

What they would be overlooking - as they have overlooked from the start - is that they don't have the numbers.

Now, perhaps this is all (dis)virtue-signalling to their target electorate; that it doesn't matter if they lose in Westminster and that it even puts them on their preferred side of 'the people versus parliament'. But at some point you have to stop campaigning and actually start governing. And for that, you do really need parliament.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    edited September 2019

The Grammar School I attended also ‘educated’ Peter Bone. Long after I’d left it though. Clearly standards fell.

The Grammar School (in name only) I attended had Lord Byron as a former pupil. I'm not sure whether that makes me Byronic..
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    edited September 2019
    FPT
    Andy_JS said:
    "You don't know how to bring the salmon back up a dead stream"

An adult salmon has been found in the River Don at Salmon Pastures confirming the species’ return to Sheffield city centre after an absence of 150 years.

The body of the 79cm (31 inches) salmon was reported to the Environment Agency by a member of the public on Wednesday 2 January. It appears to have died from natural causes.

Following the recent push to improve water quality and introduce more fish passes to facilitate the migration of our native fish, the re-colonisation of salmon in the Don is now becoming a reality.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/salmon-found-in-river-don-at-sheffield
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

Exactly
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008

My school gave the world Lord Nelson, Lord Ashcroft and Tim Westwood amongst others

Mine gave us Michael Adebolajo
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

Scotland do now have to beat Samoa to have a chance (Russia being a given BP win)
    The cases will be packed by now
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079

The Grammar School (in name only) I attended had Lord Byron as a former pupil. I'm not sure whether that makes me Byronic..
    No, your comments are (mostly, anyway) much more rational!
  • Options

Can I claim £5?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

Malc will be pleased to know mine also gave us Christopher Layer, a jacobite conspirator executed for his part in the Atterbury Plot 1723
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

I have my doubts that Cummings, Boris or the ERG care much about convention. I'd have thought they'd be fuming about Bercow and would be keen to get a proper Tory in.

They probably are.

What they would be overlooking - as they have overlooked from the start - is that they don't have the numbers.

Now, perhaps this is all (dis)virtue-signalling to their target electorate; that it doesn't matter if they lose in Westminster and that it even puts them on their preferred side of 'the people versus parliament'. But at some point you have to stop campaigning and actually start governing. And for that, you do really need parliament.
    Of course, the next Speaker might be in for a very short tenure if we have a GE in short order delivering a majority for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just a joke (almost)

hanged....

Some of us still are.
    I saw your post a few days back. Sounds a very positive experience at your kids school.

I have long thought that there is more to education than academic stuff, though of course that matters. Children need to have friends and contacts across the social spectrum if they are going to function well in adult life, rather than continue in some posh bubble, or a socially excluded one.

Ditto it's important that friends are in the neighbourhood, rather than scattered far and wide and only seen at school. This is for the benefit both of the well off and the less well off. Lessons in humility and aspiration need that social mix.
  • Options

Can I claim £5?
    Since the shool in question is in Aberdeen, the chances of getting £5 out of me are slim :)
  • Options

No, your comments are (mostly, anyway) much more rational!
    Thanks (I think)!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    edited September 2019
    felix said:

All reason and sense suggests Hoyle for next Speaker. Therefore he probably won't be. [snip],

Yes, I did wonder about that but how does anyone else gets to 320+?
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

That's easy - you just replace Scotland with Georgia in the Six Nations, if they finish above 4th; otherwise, just revert to a 5 Nations.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

He is not obviously .

Plenty of protests from kids in the developing world too. Are you accusing Greta of White Privilege?

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1177699573319516162?s=19

https://twitter.com/Fridays4FutureP/status/1177644651689500672?s=19
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    edited September 2019

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

Sigh. I bet you’re one of the saddo types who breathlessly waited for massive jams to appear on the edge of the congestion charge zone the morning it was switched on, only to wander away scratching your addled head.

On the original substantive point, the way the right plays the hypocrisy card whenever anyone takes any action against climate change merely demonstrates the paucity of their case.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

That's easy - you just replace Scotland with Georgia in the Six Nations, if they finish above 4th; otherwise, just revert to a 5 Nations.
    I did wonder if there should be a promotion/relegation playoff for the final spot of the 6-nations
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

They probably are.

Of course, the next Speaker might be in for a very short tenure if we have a GE in short order delivering a majority for the Conservatives.
    There are enough decent Tory MPs left to prevent Cummings and co from replacing a sitting - and good - Speaker with a lackey.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Why do people attack Greta?
  • Options

isam said:

Malc will be pleased to know mine also gave us Christopher Layer, a jacobite conspirator executed for his part in the Atterbury Plot 1723
    Indeed Woolie, look at my new avatar
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, displeased at being lectured to by a stroppy teenager?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,163
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.
    Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

What is it about Greta that upsets the middle aged white snowflakes?
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

I did wonder if there should be a promotion/relegation playoff for the final spot of the 6-nations
    There shouldn't be anything to wonder about - it should happen.

I don't think anyone would doubt that Italy have not progressed as they were expected to.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

Indeed Woolie, look at my new avatar
    There he is! He was in the year above me ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Philip Larkin & Debee Ashby
  • Options

felix said:

All reason and sense suggests Hoyle for next Speaker. Therefore he probably won't be. [snip],

Yes, I did wonder about that but how does anyone else gets to 320+?
    The problem for Hoyle could be if Tories vote for a Tory in the early rounds and Labour MPs vote for a more partisan candidate (such as Harman) then he could be eliminated before the final round.

This might happen if MPs assume other MPs will vote for Hoyle - the obvious candidate - so that they can safely send a signal weigh a different vote.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

Of course there should be. The closed shop system is a sporting disgrace and an affront to competition. It only persists because the blazers prefer a trip to Rome every spring rather than roughing it in Tbilisi.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,752
    isam said:

Ken Clarke, Robin Leigh Pemberton, Geoff "the complete" Hoon Ed Balls, Ed Davey.

Oh and D H Lawrence. And three more current MP-types I have hardly heard of - Piers Marchant, James Morris MP (did his mum like AA Milne?), Jonathon Bullock MEP.

Davey is shaping up well as one of the more rational members of the Lib Dems.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

Of course there should be. The closed shop system is a sporting disgrace and an affront to competition. It only persists because the blazers prefer a trip to Rome every spring rather than roughing in in Tbilisi.
    regardless of whether they change entry to the 6 nations, they should definately play some (more) matches against the next tier nations
  • Options

isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.

Idiot^2.

She is a whining middle class bore. Bet she creates more CO2 than many small countries flying about spouting about death and destruction, from a young(ish) working class NON snowflake
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nationalist Populists object for many reasons, but the psychological threat is of a popular worldwide movement that transcends the barriers that National Populists want to put between people.

International action requires international institutions, and they feel threatened by these.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Pulpstar said:

Philip Larkin & Debee Ashby

Larkin might have reading about her.
  • Options

isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Idiot.

Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

Its fatigue of whiny brats predicting imminent disaster and demanding everyone else does what we want.

We all have it to varying degrees.
  • Options
    MattW said:

isam said:

Ken Clarke, Robin Leigh Pemberton, Geoff "the complete" Hoon Ed Balls, Ed Davey.

Oh and D H Lawrence. And three more current MP-types I have hardly heard of - Piers Marchant, James Morris MP (did his mum like AA Milne?), Jonathon Bullock MEP.

Davey is shaping up well as one of the more rational members of the Lib Dems.
    Piers Merchant was one of Majors naughty sex scandal MPs. He was an early figure in UKIP after that
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.

Idiot^2.

rth it, as does Al Gore and his private jet, and they may be right, but that doesn't give them immunity from sarcasm.

She is a whining middle class bore. Bet she creates more CO2 than many small countries flying about spouting about death and destruction, from a young(ish) working class NON snowflake
    I feel sorry for her - her parents appear to be the Swedish equivalent of Gina Miller.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Nationalist Populists object for many reasons, but the psychological threat is of a popular worldwide movement that transcends the barriers that National Populists want to put between people.

International action requires international institutions, and they feel threatened by these.
    The ad hom attacks she gets say a great deal about her opponents prejudices and the weakness of arguments against climate science.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

Of course there should be. The closed shop system is a sporting disgrace and an affront to competition. It only persists because the blazers prefer a trip to Rome every spring rather than roughing in in Tbilisi.
    regardless of whether they change entry to the 6 nations, they should definately play some (more) matches against the next tier nations
    Not good enough. Should be one up, one down every year. Georgia have won the European Championship several years running. How are they supposed to develop when they aren’t able to advance? Meanwhile Italy are annual wooden spoon fodder in the 6N.
  • Options

isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Idiot.

Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

Its fatigue of whiny brats predicting imminent disaster and demanding everyone else does what we want.

How many years do you think we have left to tackle the issue of global warming?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

They have a different opinion , why is it always them attacking. Why does Greta attack people more like. She will most likely be pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere than a small city whilst hypocritically talking mince about her childhood being ruined. Why does she not piss off to China, Russia and such like with her whining. As per usual , like Gore and others she is a hypocrite. Why not just do it all by video rather than flying all over the world complaining about flying. Just another over privileged twunk that thinks they can tell people what to do whilst doing the opposite themselves.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,922

rkrkrk said:

They probably are.

Yes, we know they can't count (or don't care about losing), so they probably will try to get a Brexity speaker.

As an aside, disvirtue signalling is a genius expression.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Those lads approaching or in their climacteric are obviously bored with Harley Davidsons and Viagra.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

They have a different opinion , why is it always them attacking. Why does Greta attack people more like. She will most likely be pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere than a small city whilst hypocritically talking mince about her childhood being ruined. Why does she not piss off to China, Russia and such like with her whining. As per usual , like Gore and others she is a hypocrite. Why not just do it all by video rather than flying all over the world complaining about flying. Just another over privileged twunk that thinks they can tell people what to do whilst doing the opposite themselves.
    Greta went by sea.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Foxy said:

The tories are a minority so they may not get to impose anyone. So the next question is whether the Corbyn Cult see a reason to elect Ms Harman.Besides they may need her for the GNU.

I doubt very much that the Cult will vote for a Tory.

Possibly one of the independent Tories...
    Lets have Dr Sarah, the MP for Independent Coffee Shops, and we can all emote together. Just like Extinction Rebellion.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Jonathan said:

She has entered the political arena and presumably is therefore up for debate. If not the solution is easy.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Greta went by sea.
    And her support crew flew iirc .. but they kept fairly quiet about that.

I think Russia and China etc get of lightly because she spends most of her time attacking the people ... Western countries ... who are doing most and leading the charge.

There's also far too much hate in her rhetoric imo.

And some well-justified questions about who it is manipulating her.

The video thing does not matter because they do not give a hoot about their own hypocrisy.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,367
    edited September 2019

At my grammar school they had four classes in each year. These were streamed on abililty into : 4A, 4S, 4T, and 4X with a focus on Arts, Science, Technology and... well, just scraping through in the case of X.

Whoever thought that those with the highest ability were suited to the arts and those with lesser ability could do science and technology has a lot to answer for. I suspect it was (and still is?) symptomatic of a wider bias across the country that explains a lot about why our industry has been outperformed by most other developed countries.

Similar at mine. The top set had compulsory Latin, the bottom set had compulsory woodwork (boys) or cookery (girls). More than that, the top set were not allowed to do woodwork or cookery and the bottom set were not allowed to do Latin.

A situation was thus engendered whereby it was impossible for a boy to be able to both translate Ovid and make a magazine stand, or for a girl to be able to not only know her datives from her genitives but also turn out a decent omelette.

And we wonder why we struggle.
  • Options

isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Idiot.

Obligatory? No.

Likely? Yes.

Idiot^2.

That's not quite true.

The young have an abundance of vision without the experience to know what is possible.

The older have the experience of what is possible but have mostly lost the vision to make effective change.

and we hate being lectured to by people who don't see any of the nuance.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot^2.

What is it about being white and /or middle-aged that you cannot cope with?
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Noo said:

Streeter said:

Streeter said:

FPT

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Idiot.

Idiot.

Idiot^2.

roads?
    rth it, as does Al Gore and his private jet, and they may be right, but that doesn't give them immunity from sarcasm.

I feel sorry for her - her parents appear to be the Swedish equivalent of Gina Miller.
    Exactly and they always pick the easy targets with the wishy washy bleeding heart liberals, you never ever see them say anything about the real bad guys or trying to persuade them to change.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

Not good enough. Should be one up, one down every year. Georgia have won the European Championship several years running. How are they supposed to develop when they aren’t able to advance? Meanwhile Italy are annual wooden spoon fodder in the 6N.
    Should have been done long time ago
This discussion has been closed.