Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Noo said:

Byronic said:

I’m extending my test. Can any PB-er think of any figure, from politics, whose reputation has been enhanced by the Brexit process?

Try not to be too partisan. It’s boring. If you can’t find anyone in politics you are allowed to trawl the worlds of journalism, law and academe.

Joanna Cherry
    Good call. Yes.

Through gritted teeth I would say Bercow, maybe. He’s vain and annoying and a tediously woke Tory. But he’s grasped that this is a revolutionary moment and he’s done a good job of defending parliament, when parliament probably didn’t deserve it. Also he’s quite entertaining.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    TGOHF2 said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

I’m extending my test. Can any PB-er think of any figure, from politics, whose reputation has been enhanced by the Brexit process?

Try not to be too partisan. It’s boring. If you can’t find anyone in politics you are allowed to trawl the worlds of journalism, law and academe.

Joanna Cherry
    She was starting from a very very low base.

https://twitter.com/agentp22/status/842515167904759809?s=21
    "Try not to be too partisan. It’s boring."
    Fuck's sake.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Byronic said:

Ken Clarke.
    Not sure his reputation had been enhanced - just not damaged.

John Major might be a better answer.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Floater said:
    It was clearly the Zionists that tampered with his twitter and framed him.
    Do you say that because his name is 'Yousef' so you assume him to be a Muslim and therefore a figure of fun for you and the other Guidoista floater?
  • Options

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    Try and think of someone on the Leave side. It’s more interesting that way.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited September 2019

I am scared about where we are going I really am.
    The referendum was an inflexion point. Britain is the 21st century Argentina.
    Oh catch yourself on, we have a minority government and a restless parliament that large parts of disagree with the manifesto commitments of the two main parties, which followed naturally from a referendum victory.

Meanwhile we have a booming economy.

The inability of so many of those who are not used to losing to come to terms with losing is remarkable.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Jo Swinson?

I completely, fundantenally disagree with her stance on revoke but she is at least honest and if she was to win a majority and revoked I would accept it.

Also I think she comes across as a genuiely nice person. In less "febrile" times, once Brexit is sorted out one way or another I could see myself voting for her...
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

Joanna Cherry

I think she got a pounding there.

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Noo said:

I'm really glad other people are saying this. Cox's statement today made my blood run cold.
    Get in the sun more
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Byronic said:

Stephen Lloyd. Even though it was clear the deal would never pass and he could have fudged a response without it making a difference, he kept a promise he had made to his constituents to back an exit to the EU and public supported it.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

Joanna Cherry
    Good call. Yes.

Through gritted teeth I would say Bercow, maybe. He’s vain and annoying and a tediously woke Tory. But he’s grasped that this is a revolutionary moment and he’s done a good job of defending parliament, when parliament probably didn’t deserve it. Also he’s quite entertaining.
    That wouldn't have been the first name to jump to my mind, but you make a fair case.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Byronic said:

A NO from me
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

I wonder whether the PM and A-G would agree with the following:-

"And you know, my friends, the most difficult thing is to explain what a rule of law is, as distinct from just an oppressive law. They say,

Or this:-

The third guarantee of liberty is the rule of law. The idea that all are equal under the law is deeply rooted in our democratic systems and nowhere else..... The thought that no one in the state can escape the law is, after all, a daring one...... This is not a thought which the powerful can easily accept. Those who hold sway in totalitarian states take good care that the rule of law does not challenge their authority."

You realize all of the above applies, with some fierce poignancy, to the Establishment which now seeks to subvert the democratic brexit vote. Right?
    The Establishment - whoever that is - are seeking to avoid a disorderly withdrawal from the EU. That incidentally is in line with the manifesto on which the government was elected. There are those who would prefer to remain in the EU and they are entitled to think that and campaign for it and vote for it and take the consequences at the next election. Losing a vote does not mean that you are no longer entitled to say what you think and act on it.

MPs want a different deal. They are being obstructed from that because the current government has no negotiating strategy and has prioritised a date over getting a deal. It has also done absolutely nothing about trying to get any sort of consensus about what such a deal might look like. It is now stuck. It doesn't like this. The fact that this is in large part a result of its own idiotic actions seems to have passed it by. And in consequence it is lashing out at anyone and everyone instead of growing up and taking responsibility.

You excuse all wanky Remainer behavior. But condemn the same from all Leavers. It renders your opinion absurd and otiose, as you are so obviously biased.

The truth is we have been failed by our entire political class (and beyond), from left to right, from leave to stay.

It’s difficult to think of one figure who has come out of this calamity with his/her reputation enhanced. But I’m going to have a go. There must be one. Must be. Surely.

I’m thinking now.

Still thinking.

Christ.

Um...

Andrew Neil?
    I don't excuse wanky Remainer behaviour. As you would realise if you had read my numerous headers over the last three years I have been writing them.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

For all that I dislike her politics intensely and am on the polar opposite from her as far as Brexit is concerned, I would suggest Nicola Sturgeon.

She has been clear that her first and only priority is the people of Scotland. She has represented their views and has been consistent in her opposition to Brexit. The SNP stood by its principles and did not vote for Article 50 and even though she is not in Parliament her influence and control over her party including the Westminster MPs has been very impressive.

I just wish she was on my side of the argument.

Oh and Michel Barnier.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

I'm really glad other people are saying this. Cox's statement today made my blood run cold.
    I found it very entertaining , he is a chancer of the first order but he put on a show.
    It was certainly a bravura act, and like you I enjoyed it. It was mostly bullshit but brilliantly served up.

Amidst the bullshit was however a little gem. He would not have put his name to a proroguation request that went beyond the end of October. That was a clear acknowledgement that his view was that proroguation was justiciable.

His view therefore differed from the judgement of the SC only in respect of timing and length of proroguation.
    Only if he was telling the truth that he would not have put his name to such a request.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    There is nobody on the Leave side who has enhanced their reputation. The whole project is a dog’s dinner.
  • Options

Oliver Letwin.

Please... :D
  • Options

Byronic said:

Ken Clarke.

Rory Stewart.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    Liam Fox? The only man moderated by the Brexit process.

And though derided as a remainer now Rory Stewart was one fo the few to actually argue strongly and positively for May's deal. Whether one likes the deal or not he put the effort in unlike her cowardly cabinet colleagues.

And while he did back Remain, spending years fighting for leave counts as being on the leave side - otherwise the joke that HYUFD is a remainer would be true.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oliver Letwin.

Stephen Kinnock
  • Options

Byronic said:

For all that I dislike her politics intensely and am on the polar opposite from her as far as Brexit is concerned, I would suggest Nicola Sturgeon.

She has been clear that her first and only priority is the people of Scotland. She has represented their views and has been consistent in her opposition to Brexit. The SNP stood by its principles and did not vote for Article 50 and even though she is not in Parliament her influence and control over her party including the Westminster MPs has been very impressive.

I've always admired Nicola. She's a very canny operator.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    Peter Oborne
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    That was starting from a very (or should I say, in Werrity) low base as well though.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    There is nobody on the Leave side who has enhanced their reputation. The whole project is a dog’s dinner.
    Actually. That’s a lie. Every leaver who I have spoken to who has now changed their mind and now back Remain. They have had their reputation enhanced.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    malcolmg said:

nunuone said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Great soundbite from Jo Swinson. She knows what she’s doing.

She needs some voice coaching.

I don't think that what she said was good anyway.

If she can get your 'great' when being as she is, then there's a lot of opportunity for Swinson.

she is crap
    I’ll join in with your immature prose:

no u
    We could replace malcolm with a bot and no one would notice the difference.
    lol, how intelligent, you really add value. Back to your village they are searching for you.
    I see nunuone made it back to his village, given his absence
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Boris Johnson doesn't give a shit if another MP is murdered. What a guy.

What did he say?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2019
    Roger said:

Floater said:
    It was clearly the Zionists that tampered with his twitter and framed him.
    Do you say that because his name is 'Yousef' so you assume him to be a Muslim and therefore a figure of fun for you and the other Guidoista floater?
    Don't be a twat. Nobody on here has ever accused me of being an Islamophobe / posting material of that nature.

As you well know, there has been a huge string of Labour Party members who have been found to have a history of conspiracy theory tweets, many of which revolve around the Jews / Zionists being behind lots of things...and when people get caught with dodgy tweets often they claim somebody hacked their account.

Joke explained...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Ken Clarke.

Given the Supreme Court has effectively ruled he acted unlawfully when he prorogued Parliament to avoid scrutiny would have to disagree. Plus he is a massive hypocrite
  • Options

Me too.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Noo said:

Absolutely.

"It couldn't happen here?" Don't you believe it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    The Speaker?

(only joking!)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Oh catch yourself on, we have a minority government and a restless parliament that large parts of disagree with the manifesto commitments of the two main parties, which followed naturally from a referendum victory.

The inability of so many of those who are not used to losing to come to terms with losing is remarkable.

Booming economy? You’re quite unhinged.
  • Options
    I confess I am finding it hard to think of ANY Leaver politician who has been reputationally enhanced. Probably because it is their project and the onus is on them and, so far, it is failing badly (even tho they would blame much of that on Remainers).

There must be ONE.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    malcolmg said:

Labour MPs are making the referendum mistake again. By keep coming back to Boris calling the Act the “Surrender Act” it’s just embedding it into the nation’s mind.

Labour MPs are useless collectively and individually. Grow a pair and call a VONC
    SNP are on board with stopping No Deal first

You gone rogue
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Just to consider the basics for a moment, during the miners' strike people were hoarding sugar, toilet rolls, and then salt.

We are connected to Europe through the EU in thousands of ways. How would we cope with a clean break, or for that matter any form of brexit ?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I confess I am finding it hard to think of ANY Leaver politician who has been reputationally enhanced. Probably because it is their project and the onus is on them and, so far, it is failing badly (even tho they would blame much of that on Remainers).

There must be ONE.

Sarah Wollaston? :)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

From a low base, Andrea Leadsom.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Ken Clarke.
    and from a very high starting position too.
  • Options

Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

Yes! Good spot. She has. Weirdly,
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

Even then she was doing better in 2017 compared to now.

Mind you her base in 2016 was so low that even now is an improvement.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Boris Johnson has paved the way for an acrimonious “people versus parliament” general election with a defiant defence of his Brexit strategy, in which he refused to take any blame for his historic defeat in the Supreme Court.

On a day of ferocious debate in the House of Commons, which was recalled after Britain’s highest court overturned the prime minister’s attempt to suspend it for five weeks, he claimed MPs were trying to “sabotage” Brexit."

https://www.ft.com/content/5cd109c6-df82-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc
  • Options
    Noo said:

Cyclefree said:
    Blimey. I missed that post. Formidable stuff. Thank you for signposting it. I hope it gets read (or reread) by those here today.
    Thank you.

There are some MPs who could do with reading it I feel. Some of them are even in government.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Toms said:

Just to consider the basics for a moment, during the miners' strike people were hoarding sugar, toilet rolls, and then salt.

We are connected to Europe through the EU in thousands of ways. How would we cope with a clean break, or for that matter any form of brexit ?

You haven't been stockpiling have you.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

https://twitter.com/ivanka/status/1090519840903884800?s=21
  • Options

Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

She was never a Leaver. Her 'conversion' to Leave and subsequent recanting was one of the most obvious staged episodes in political history.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

I feel she still has womb for improvement.

(Couldn't resist...)
  • Options

Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

She was never a Leaver. Her 'conversion' to Leave and subsequent recanting was one of the most obvious staged episodes in political history.
    Yes. Congratulations on spotting that one.
  • Options
    eek said:

Toms said:

I recommend Oxo and Knorr for "stock" piling :)
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    When asked to wind back his language he refuses, he is unfit for office
  • Options

I would suggest Nicola Sturgeon.

Hellava shout, and in most ways I agree. What's been really remarkable has been her firm commitment to trying to, in her eyes, save the UK from itself. But she's hurt in reputation in the eyes of the diehard nats who welcome the sheer terrifying stupidity of what's been happening down here. After all, we've been giving Scots all the arguments they could ever need about the sclerosis, the baying cretins in the Commons, and the sinister authoritarian bent of this current Conservative & Unionist Party.
    Some of those who want independence look on gobsmacked that Sturgeon is trying to stop exactly the kind of chaos that /could/ help the nat cause. Certainly that notorious transphobic blogger whose name I will not mention and who represents sadly far too many of that cohort is adamant that Sturgeon is using bad tactics.
    But for me, I think she's playing a magnificent Brexit, and has somehow found herself alone in the moral uplands. But her reputation is certainly up for grabs depending on how urgently and blinkeredly folk want independence.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

More employed than ever before (as a percentage).

Low inflation.

Rising wages.

How many years since a recession? 10 years?

• Options

malcolmg said:

Noo said:

I found it very entertaining , he is a chancer of the first order but he put on a show.
    It was certainly a bravura act, and like you I enjoyed it. It was mostly bullshit but brilliantly served up.

Amidst the bullshit was however a little gem. He would not have put his name to a proroguation request that went beyond the end of October. That was a clear acknowledgement that his view was that proroguation was justiciable.

His view therefore differed from the judgement of the SC only in respect of timing and length of proroguation.
    And as suggested in my header it raises the question of precisely what legal advice he gave the government. I hope that Starmer or Grieve or someone keeps pressing this point. I sense that there is something not quite right going on in relation to that, which may also explain Cox's hysterical performance today.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Andrew said:

kle4 said:

You can make it binding I believe - the authorising Act just has to say something like 'the result will be enacted'. If memory serves the AV referendum bill did, and the EU one did not. Conspiracists would suggest intentionally, but more likely just failure to spot by the Commons.

A binding referendum only works for something that's ready to be implemented immediately, so couldn't be done for the EU ref.
    Then the process should have include a second stage to ratify the terms of Brexit once they became known, something I believe that JRM once advocated. As it is we have been sold a pig in a poke.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I think that "booming economy" is a bit of a stretch. GDP shrank by 0.2% in Q2.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

Does Oliver Letwin count? - he's been a Eurosceptic for as long as I can remember, he supported the May deal, and he's been cutting a pretty good dash in his new role as a thoughtful independent.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    nico67 said:

Zero chance of any deal going through .

Bozo is so detested by 99% of Labour MPs and the rest of the opposition that they’d rather chew their own leg off than give him what will be perceived as a win.

Bozos continued surrender act comments are clearly designed to goad opposition MPs .

However if they were prepared to play the long game they'd win out. Why? Because if the EU's deal was voted through Brexit Party style leavers would cry betrayal and head back to Farage. Then after several more months the reality of a departure on the EU's terms and years of negotiations to come would hit residual Tory support. Labour should leave the Tories in office but not in power for just long enough for this effect to show through in the polls and then no confidence.

Only problem with this scenario is we would have left and as Boris says most of the opposition don't want any kind of Brexit at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

I just don't buy that about Yugoslavia. They were ruled by Tito for what 25-30 years. He was a brutal dictator that kept all the tensions between factions at bay under fear of the gun. When he died, within what 10 years, there was civil war.
  • Options

Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

Does Oliver Letwin count?
    NO!
  • Options

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

Utterly false. I knew and worked with many Yugoslavs before during and after the Balkan Wars. The only way the whole place was held together was by the force of will of one man backed up by a ruthless and efficient secret police. It was always inevitable it would fall apart in violence once Tito was gone and the superpowers no longer feared it igniting a war between them.
  • Options

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

Utterly false. I knew and worked with many Yugoslavs before during and after the Balkan Wars. The only way the whole place was held together was by the force of will of one man backed up by a ruthless and efficient secret police. It was always inevitable it would fall apart in violence once Tito was gone and the superpowers no longer feared it igniting a war between them.
    What if the queen is our Tito ;)
  • Options
    nico67 said:
    Its rather Trumpian. He knows he will get the outrage response and will also get the Surrender Act tag circulated.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    eek said:

Toms said:

A vignette that stayed with me was of a wide boy going through the checkout with an carton of sugar bags, looking to the middle distance in a vain attempt to escape notice.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

What if the queen is our Tito ;)
    I think King Charles would rapidly and effectively unite the country if he succeeded.

Against him.
  • Options
    Here's a question.
    Is this Hulky Boris a deliberate act- is culture war the next stage of the masterplan?
    Or is it just that he's too jetlagged and cross to do the affable thing?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    Nigel Farage. (Not a popular answer I'm sure, but I think he's benefited.)

I'd agree with 'Rory Stewart'.

Along the sidelines there are some principle type people - 'Kate Hoey', but then I simply hate the total-blind-dogma 'Anna Soubry'.

'David Lammy' has been a gainer.

• Options

Here's a question.
    Is this Hulky Boris a deliberate act- is culture war the next stage of the masterplan?

Where Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings are concerned, I think we should always consider stupidity likelier than strategy.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    He went there. He actually went there.

Boris Johnson: “The best way to honour the memory of Jo Cox and indeed the best way to bring this country together would be, I think, to get Brexit done.”
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

You realize all of the above applies, with some fierce poignancy, to the Establishment which now seeks to subvert the democratic brexit vote. Right?

The Establishment - whoever that is - are seeking to avoid a disorderly withdrawal from the EU. That incidentally is in line with the manifesto on which the government was elected. There are those who would prefer to remain in the EU and they are entitled to think that and campaign for it and vote for it and take the consequences at the next election. Losing a vote does not mean that you are no longer entitled to say what you think and act on it.

MPs want a different deal. They are being obstructed from that because the current government has no negotiating strategy and has prioritised a date over getting a deal. It has also done absolutely nothing about trying to get any sort of consensus about what such a deal might look like. It is now stuck. It doesn't like this. The fact that this is in large part a result of its own idiotic actions seems to have passed it by. And in consequence it is lashing out at anyone and everyone instead of growing up and taking responsibility.

You excuse all wanky Remainer behavior. But condemn the same from all Leavers. It renders your opinion absurd and otiose, as you are so obviously biased.

The truth is we have been failed by our entire political class (and beyond), from left to right, from leave to stay.

It’s difficult to think of one figure who has come out of this calamity with his/her reputation enhanced. But I’m going to have a go. There must be one. Must be. Surely.

I’m thinking now.

Still thinking.

Christ.

Um...

Andrew Neil?
    I read (and reviewed) Bad Boys Of Brexit. He has a walk-on part. I was not impressed. If you combine that with his conviction that only Britain can make aircraft wings and an inconclusive election in Germany was the biggest post-war constitutional crisis for that country, then he hadn't burnished his reputation, no.

So if not him, then who?

Ok, for the Leavers: Isabel Oakshott, Matthew Elliot, arguably Dominic Cummings, Aaron Banks, Liam Fox, Arlene Foster.
    For the leave-with-a-deal: Rory Stewart, William Hague
    For the Remainers: Dominic Grieve

I realise that many on here may not like the above nor what they have done, but I submit they have during the crisis demonstrated a skillset that has enhanced their reputations.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Anti

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

Quite. Anyone with a vague sense of historical appreciation can see the huge structural differences between the situations.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Boris Johnson has paved the way for an acrimonious “people versus parliament” general election with a defiant defence of his Brexit strategy, in which he refused to take any blame for his historic defeat in the Supreme Court.

On a day of ferocious debate in the House of Commons, which was recalled after Britain’s highest court overturned the prime minister’s attempt to suspend it for five weeks, he claimed MPs were trying to “sabotage” Brexit."

I've seen no debate going on, just mud slinging.
  • Options

Here's a question.

I think bullishness is the only option he has, as it disguises that he is powerless and at the whim of others, both in the EU and in parliament.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Its like day one of those unlimited time cricket tests they use to play.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    It's indicative of where the Conservative Party is now that former loons are now seen (on PB) as being sensible. What do they have in common? They were all on the inside and evidently realised, through interaction with experts I have no doubt, the insanity of leaving without a deal.

Boris and the current lot will get there I also have no doubt but of course may easily believe they have gone too far to row back.

For the sake of their egos they may well continue to try to fuck the country.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low inflation.

Rising wages.

What was the growth rate in the last quarter? The last year? Since the referendum?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low inflation.

Rising wages.

AM doesn't do contrary opinions
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. You can see why the SC thought we had not had enough of this already, can't you?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

This is a disaster the PM could have been somewhat contrite and attempted to reach out but he really is going for the HY war footing look. It is a disgrace, he is a disgrace, he hasn’t answered a single honest question with fact. It should be enforced viewing for people with the right to vote.

Nigel Dodds contribution should definitely be widely circulated.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

There must be ONE.

I feel she still has womb for improvement.

(Couldn't resist...)
    Don't beat yourself up, it was the mother of all temptations to say it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. You can see why the SC thought we had not had enough of this already, can't you?
    It's parliament's time to waste as they choose.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    TGOHF2 said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

Joanna Cherry

Anyone watching "The Capture"?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low inflation.

Rising wages.

I do facts. I realise that they are unpopular among the death cult but a booming economy requires an economy to be growing rapidly. Right now, Britain’s is being strangled by Brexit.
  • Options

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

I just don't buy that about Yugoslavia. They were ruled by Tito for what 25-30 years. He was a brutal dictator that kept all the tensions between factions at bay under fear of the gun. When he died, within what 10 years, there was civil war.
    Could be she's a Serb?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited September 2019
    Good to see how serious tories are about democracy they have all pissed off
  • Options
    Byronic said:

The answer strikes me as obvious - Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart. They've managed the normally impossible task of being consistent, sticking to their principles and showing a willingness to compromise.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sorry to humble-brag to all you wealthy, successful PBers, but I've been unemployed for over a year now. Any questions?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Apparently so. We are so fortunate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Byronic said:

Ken Clarke.

Doubtful. We've been reminded what a total hypocrite he is.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Good to see how serious tories are about democracy they have all pissed off

Isn't there a meeting of 1922 tonight?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low inflation.

Rising wages.

What was the growth rate in the last quarter? The last year? Since the referendum?
    Seeing as you’ve ignored my evidence of a booming real economy - jobs, ability to buy stuff, and distance since economic dislocation - I’m not going to recite the headline figures (which are nevertheless up in the medium term, and short term (an unwinding blip for the last quarter aside), despite us being more than due a more obvious correction.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

Could be she's a Serb?
    I have no idea, but anybody trying to tell the world there was no long standing major problems in Yugoslavia in the previous 50 years leading up to the war is talking the sort of boulder-dash and piffle Boris usually comes out with.
  • Options

Chris said:

Noo said:

Absolutely.

Thread:

Could be she's a Serb?
    I have no idea, but anybody trying to tell the world there was no long standing major problems in Yugoslavia in the previous 50 years leading up to the war is talking the sort of boulder-dash and piffle Boris usually comes out with.
    It's equally problematic to argue with hindsight that war was inevitable.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Oh and Michel Barnier.
    Barnier has so far failed to secure a deal, something I believe A50 requires the EU to do.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Rory Stewart
    Joanna Cherry
    I don't agree with what he's done, or the way that he's gone about it, but Steve Baker has been a lot more effective than all the other extremist mad hatter Leavers, particularly the old duffers like David Davis and Bill Cash.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Apparently so. We are so fortunate.
    Ironic statement aside, of course we are not, and that's very frustrating. But it is their responsibilty to resolve, or not, and we will judge them accordingly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low inflation.

Rising wages.

Seeing as you’ve ignored my evidence of a booming real economy - jobs, ability to buy stuff, and distance since economic dislocation - I’m not going to recite the headline figures (which are nevertheless up in the medium term, and short term (an unwinding blip for the last quarter aside), despite us being more than due a more obvious correction.
    A booming economy requires rapid growth. Britain’s growth for the last three years has been anaemic. So you’re talking your usual hogwash.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

Oliver Letwin.

Stephen Kinnock
    He voted against the WA 3 times but now regrets it, apparently.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Low inflation.

Rising wages.

I do facts. I realise that they are unpopular among the death cult but a booming economy requires an economy to be growing rapidly. Right now, Britain’s is being strangled by Brexit.
    God, you're death culting again - you really should get help
This discussion has been closed.