Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Compared with the 2016 “Enemies of the People” Mail coverage t

Comments

• Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    The Tories will simply refuse to attend Parliament then during that time
    A rather risky strategy. There’s no quorum requirement to pass legislation.
    I thought that the quorum was 40 - low enough that the SNP nearly have enough MPs alone.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    You act like them attending parliament is a favour the Tories do, rather than it also being of use to them. Usually
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,242
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    There is no majority in Parliament for anything at the moment anyway beyond extension of Article 50 so who cares
    Extension is the end of Boris. Raab? He would just be the latest Cons leader promising earnestly what everyone realises cannot be delivered and therefore will be unsuccessful.

Edit: in becoming leader.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    So it would be even easier to get hostile bills through Parliament
    LOL perhaps he realised that after the six minute editing window.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The prorogation being cancelled does complicate the plan of the opposition somewhat, harder now to just sit tight until the deadline arises for passing an extension. There's no chance of an election being called before an extension is requested, so what will happen for the next couple of weeks? Boris will keep trying to submit requests for an election that won't pass. He may try and force a vonc on himself, and in any case it will be difficult for Labour to continually avoid one.

A situation where there is desparate scrambling and horse trading to agree on a Gonu caretaker candidate seems likely. Corbyn will not get the votes but he won't want to vote down a potential Gonu candidate when push comes to shove, because that would lead to an election too soon, which would be in Boris' interests, not Corbyn's. For all the opposition parties, the safest way out of this now would be to have a Gonu figure pass legislation for May's deal vs Remain, before an election. Certainly having Brexit resolved would be great for Corbyn, and while it may take the wind out of the LD sails, they wouldn't be able to refuse an opportunity for a second referendum if one presented itself.

Neither Johnson nor Corbyn want to go anywhere near signing that letter. To both leaders it’s kryptonite. Tories obviously destroyed by BXP, Labour destroyed by both Tories and BXP in subsequent election. The optics of doing it are awful and how it can be used as ammunition by their opponents is just too great a danger.

The only person(s) who can sign without fear are Swinson or AN other as temp caretaker.

Surprises me that no one has suggested Boris could recommend Swinson to HMQ.
    Boris might recommend Tom Watson just to create maximum problems for Corbyn
    He'd be a fool. That is likely to also create maximum problems for himself if Watson makes a success of it.
    It would split Labour down the middle and probably break it in 2
    So wont happen. Anything that predicts a major split in labour has either never happened or been minor in effect
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

HYUFD said:

There is no majority in Parliament for anything at the moment anyway beyond extension of Article 50 so who cares

Customs Union and Confirmatory Referendum both came very close in the indicative votes. Put them together in a package and they'll probably pass.
    That was before Remainers sensed victory. They won’t settle for any Brexit now.

• Options

They've easily got the numbers, since Boris helpfully amputated a chunk of his own majority and gave it to them.

Beyond Brexit all they really need to agree on is a budget, and the Tories have helpfully gifted them a huge, unfunded pre-election spending splurge, so just do that and take the credit.

You think Labour MPs will give on going support to a temporary government led by a former Tory?

Or that former (or present) Tories or LD's will support a temporary Labour led government?

There is no benefit to doing so for ANY of the leaderships.

A temporary PM will be there to request the extension and call a GE...nothing more permanent is remotely plausible.

The question is who blows themselves, and their party, up.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

Still no Labour lead though and Comres is the most pro Labour pollster now, all the movement Tory and LD to Brexit Party with Labour unchanged confirming Boris must stick to his guns and even harden his Brexit stance further, he must under no circumstances whatsoever extend and go into opposition instead
    It is time for the return of the PB tag, “unspoofable”.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The prorogation being cancelled does complicate the plan of the opposition somewhat, harder now to just sit tight until the deadline arises for passing an extension. There's no chance of an election being called before an extension is requested, so what will happen for the next couple of weeks? Boris will keep trying to submit requests for an election that won't pass. He may try and force a vonc on himself, and in any case it will be difficult for Labour to continually avoid one.

A situation where there is desparate scrambling and horse trading to agree on a Gonu caretaker candidate seems likely. Corbyn will not get the votes but he won't want to vote down a potential Gonu candidate when push comes to shove, because that would lead to an election too soon, which would be in Boris' interests, not Corbyn's. For all the opposition parties, the safest way out of this now would be to have a Gonu figure pass legislation for May's deal vs Remain, before an election. Certainly having Brexit resolved would be great for Corbyn, and while it may take the wind out of the LD sails, they wouldn't be able to refuse an opportunity for a second referendum if one presented itself.

Neither Johnson nor Corbyn want to go anywhere near signing that letter. To both leaders it’s kryptonite. Tories obviously destroyed by BXP, Labour destroyed by both Tories and BXP in subsequent election. The optics of doing it are awful and how it can be used as ammunition by their opponents is just too great a danger.

The only person(s) who can sign without fear are Swinson or AN other as temp caretaker.

He'd be a fool. That is likely to also create maximum problems for himself if Watson makes a success of it.
    So wont happen. Anything that predicts a major split in labour has either never happened or been minor in effect
    Labour has seen more defections from the party over the last few months than at any time since WW2, mind you the Tories are not much better on that front
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I don’t think @HYUFD has thought this plan through...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    ...theres no majority for anything because of all the participants. If tories arent thrte there would be.

Considering you dont seem to care what the party stands for you just support it like a football team no matter the leader or policy I'm amazed you get more fanatical than any Tory politician in these matters.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,519
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Curious statistics in this Guardian article.

52% of Britons take 100% of international flights. 48% take no flights at all.

*innocent face*

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/25/1-of-english-residents-take-one-fifth-of-overseas-flights-survey-shows?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It's a shame they don't say how many flights it takes to put you into the top 1%/10%/20%/etc

I'm sure seanT, late of this parish, would have delighted in telling us that he was in the top 0.1%, or something. He was a travel writer, you know.
    As an international male model, I must take 50 flights a year minimum. I’m not delighted by the idea of a “progressive flight tax” - where you pay more and more for each ticket, though you get one cheap, untaxed flight a year.

It’s a terrible, communistic, North Korean device. 99% of people would have the travel equivalent of a Trabant. One return flight a year. That’s your lot. The super rich 1%, who can afford the most stringent taxes, would have endless flights, the equivalent of a BMW.

It’s such a bad idea that, in this present age of madness, it will probably be tried.
    I haven't flown for 18 months. You can have my flight for the year...

48% no flights in a year is quite an interesting statistic.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Calling HYUFD....Nigel Farage says there is now no chance Brexit will happen on October 31st. Are you still confident your man will still be around in November?

(My own guess is that Farage will sell out for the position of British Ambassador to Washington so no need to panic)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    If none of the Tories turn up, Corbyn would have a majority for whatever he liked.
    Corbyn would not be PM so could not propose anything
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Customs Union and Confirmatory Referendum both came very close in the indicative votes. Put them together in a package and they'll probably pass.
    Both failed to pass the Commons only the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop passed the Commons and that is what Boris is still aiming for
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Extension is the end of Boris. Raab? He would just be the latest Cons leader promising earnestly what everyone realises cannot be delivered and therefore will be unsuccessful.

Raab would likely agree a formal pact with the Brexit Party on a No Deal ticket having ousted Boris if Boris extended having failed to get a Deal through but of course Boris would take the Tories into opposition rather than stay PM and agree to extend so will stay
  • Options
    The most suitable temporary prime minister won't get the job but step forward Theresa May who at least won't need to spend the first day learning where the Downing Street loos are.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

As an international male model, I must take 50 flights a year minimum. I’m not delighted by the idea of a “progressive flight tax” - where you pay more and more for each ticket, though you get one cheap, untaxed flight a year.

It’s a terrible, communistic, North Korean device. 99% of people would have the travel equivalent of a Trabant. One return flight a year. That’s your lot. The super rich 1%, who can afford the most stringent taxes, would have endless flights, the equivalent of a BMW.

It’s such a bad idea that, in this present age of madness, it will probably be tried.

Over recent years, flying seems to have become more and more difficult. It reached the poinbt some years ago were I just decided not to fly any more. I cannot be bothered with the hoops I have to jump through or the attitude of many airport/airline staff.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Calling HYUFD....Nigel Farage says there is now no chance Brexit will happen on October 31st. Are you still confident your man will still be around in November?

(My own guess is that Farage will sell out for the position of British Ambassador to Washington so no need to panic)

Yes, I have been assuming that Farage was to be “tapped” after the Tory conference. Slightly less sure since Farage, shark-like, seems to smell Johnson’s blood in the water.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2019
    Roger said:

Brexit happening on the 31st October would be a disaster for Farage. I am sure he is hoping Brexit is cancelled via a 2nd referendum, allowing him a long and lucrative career as an outraged right wing pundit.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    If none of the Tories turn up, Corbyn would have a majority for whatever he liked.
    Has the last few months just passed you by completely?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surely, as a loyal Labour MP, the first thing Watson will say to HMQ when invited by her to become PM is to advise her that she should call for Corbyn instead. I really don't think he would play along with Johnson's game by becoming PM himself, rather than showing Johnson to be a fool.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

I would imagine the Palace don't want get involved in this nasty quagmire of the politicians' making. Both Remainers and Leavers are just playing political games.

At this critical juncture, the Palace will surely do the uncontroversial thing (especially after Cameron's indiscretion, and Boris' blundering).

If the PM can't command the confidence of the House, then the uncontroversial thing is to send for the Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition.

If they do anything else (like parachute in some great & good figure), then they are in an incredibly dangerous position (especially if it goes wrong!)

Corbyn will be sent for.

Maybe Corbyn does not have the confidence of the House, but that has not yet been demonstrated.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Raab would likely agree a formal pact with the Brexit Party on a No Deal ticket having ousted Boris if Boris extended having failed to get a Deal through but of course Boris would take the Tories into opposition rather than stay PM and agree to extend so will stay
    And when that inevitably fails, will the Tories then recover their senses?
  • Options

Byronic said:

Over recent years, flying seems to have become more and more difficult. It reached the poinbt some years ago were I just decided not to fly any more. I cannot be bothered with the hoops I have to jump through or the attitude of many airport/airline staff.
    Schiphol have new scanning machines which mean you don’t need to remove your liquids from your bag.

Sounds like a small thing but makes the whole process appreciably less irritating.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,519

Foxy said:

My main recollection of Dick Emery was that he had a very complicated love life.

He was Trans before it was fashionable?
    Please don't. I know some trans people and the mental health issues caused by their condition can be horrendous. Whatever else it is, trans is not "fashionable".
    Sorry, my apologies.

Cross dressing is a venerable theatrical tradition, and not generally to do with gender identity.

A poor taste quip.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Has he told Nigel? Raab will be seen as part of Team Failure. Although I appreciate and so does he that he can count on your support. Until the one after him.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Boris is all about doing things in good faith.

Note the final sentence. I very much doubt the Palace feels obliged to take his word as sacrosanct now. They presumably have already been actively consulting the great and the good about who might fill his shoes if necessary.
    Not correct. They remain passengers in this. They are not going to become actors.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/60641/cabinet-manual.pdf

"2.9 Historically, the Sovereign has made use of reserve powers to dismiss a Prime Minister or to make a personal choice of successor, although this was last used in 1834 and was regarded as having undermined the Sovereign.11 In modern times the convention has been that the Sovereign should not be drawn into party politics, and if there is doubt it is the responsibility of those involved in the political process, and in particular the parties represented in Parliament, to seek to determine and communicate clearly to the Sovereign who is best placed to be able to command the confidence of the House of Commons. As the Crown’s principal adviser this responsibility falls especially on the incumbent Prime Minister, who at the time of his or her resignation may also be asked by the Sovereign for a recommendation on who can best command the confidence of the House of Commons in his or her place.
    2.10 The application of these principles depends on the specific circumstances and it remains a matter for the Prime Minister, as the Sovereign’s principal adviser, to judge the appropriate time at which to resign, either from their individual position as Prime Minister or on behalf of the government. Recent examples suggest that previous Prime Ministers have not offered their resignations until there was a situation in which clear advice could be given to the Sovereign on who should be asked to form a government. It remains to be seen whether or not these examples will be regarded in future as having established a constitutional convention."

So the Prime Minister has a special responsibility but not a sole responsibility. Others can and should be contacting the Palace to give their views in times of uncertainty. So presumably they are.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

And when that inevitably fails, will the Tories then recover their senses?
    No, they will try Mogg or Baker next.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Byronic said:

Schiphol have new scanning machines which mean you don’t need to remove your liquids from your bag.

Sounds like a small thing but makes the whole process appreciably less irritating.
    You still have to walk miles though.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Note the final sentence. I very much doubt the Palace feels obliged to take his word as sacrosanct now. They presumably have already been actively consulting the great and the good about who might fill his shoes if necessary.
    Not correct. They remain passengers in this. They are not going to become actors.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/60641/cabinet-manual.pdf

"2.9 Historically, the Sovereign has made use of reserve powers to dismiss a Prime Minister or to make a personal choice of successor, although this was last used in 1834 and was regarded as having undermined the Sovereign.11 In modern times the convention has been that the Sovereign should not be drawn into party politics, and if there is doubt it is the responsibility of those involved in the political process, and in particular the parties represented in Parliament, to seek to determine and communicate clearly to the Sovereign who is best placed to be able to command the confidence of the House of Commons. As the Crown’s principal adviser this responsibility falls especially on the incumbent Prime Minister, who at the time of his or her resignation may also be asked by the Sovereign for a recommendation on who can best command the confidence of the House of Commons in his or her place.
    2.10 The application of these principles depends on the specific circumstances and it remains a matter for the Prime Minister, as the Sovereign’s principal adviser, to judge the appropriate time at which to resign, either from their individual position as Prime Minister or on behalf of the government. Recent examples suggest that previous Prime Ministers have not offered their resignations until there was a situation in which clear advice could be given to the Sovereign on who should be asked to form a government. It remains to be seen whether or not these examples will be regarded in future as having established a constitutional convention."

So the Prime Minister has a special responsibility but not a sole responsibility. Others can and should be contacting the Palace to give their views in times of uncertainty. So presumably they are.
    You'll have to trust me that the Queen is not about to take any kind of an active part in the political process.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

For the country the problem is theres no grouping with sufficient support to run the country and it looks like no election will be permitted to try to change that for several months. Again, Boris going doesnt change thst much.

If the government resigns the only acceptable replacement would be one whose only purpose would be to extend and then call a GE.

I honestly cannot see another move for Johnson unless the EU for some reason decide to cave in, and by his own logic it wont because parliament has taken no deal off the table.

He cannot stop the Commons doing whatever it wants anymore, he cannot take action other than resignation. But that's such a nuclear option.

Seriously, what can he try next? He and the Tories will be petrified of that BXP rating, even attacking the judges is not getting the share down, what more can he do?
    Why would attacking our legal system do anything to reduce the BXP vote share - if anything Nigel is now the saner Brexiter option.
    And this really is the problem with what the Commons has done

They can not negotiate a Treaty themselves, but refused the Executive’s proposal. They are refusing to replace the government and won’t call an election.

We are in stasis because of parliament overreaching
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Has he told Nigel? Raab will be seen as part of Team Failure. Although I appreciate and so does he that he can count on your support. Until the one after him.
    Nigel could not become PM without a Tory pact so he would need it too, there would likely be Tory candidates only in the South Brexit Party candidates only in the North
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Foxy said:
    Geoffrey Cox has the ability to be profoundly stupid as only clever people can be.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Boris will go into opposition rather than stay PM and agree to extend
  • Options

You think Labour MPs will give on going support to a temporary government led by a former Tory?

Or that former (or present) Tories or LD's will support a temporary Labour led government?

There is no benefit to doing so for ANY of the leaderships.

A temporary PM will be there to request the extension and call a GE...nothing more permanent is remotely plausible.

The question is who blows themselves, and their party, up.

A former Tory would be a tough psychological jump for them, I reckon they should go with Sylvia Hermon, as she's not a Tory, not a threat to Jeremy Corbyn, and has a good "people setting aside their differences for PEACE" angle.

Why is this good for the various players?
    * Ex-Con: Get a good Brexit outcome, hang onto their jobs for a bit longer, hilariously screw Boris
    * Lab: Avoid an election until things perk up, get Brexit out of the way since it's not going well for them, make Corbyn look statesmanlike and unthreatening, hilariously screw Boris
    * LibDem: Get a shot at cancelling Brexit, possibly leads to political realignment, hilariously screw Boris
    * SNP: Get a shot at cancelling Brexit, hilariously screw Boris

• Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/25/1-of-english-residents-take-one-fifth-of-overseas-flights-survey-shows?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It's a shame they don't say how many flights it takes to put you into the top 1%/10%/20%/etc

I'm sure seanT, late of this parish, would have delighted in telling us that he was in the top 0.1%, or something. He was a travel writer, you know.

What campaign will we have seen you in?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

The problem is that this is almost completely untested since the passing of the FTPA.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    It is perfectly reasonable for parliament to flex its muscles. But with power comes responsibility. Do they want it? If they cannot find a majority the public will not thank them.

After an era of government by fiat I wonder if they understand that?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Yes, I have been assuming that Farage was to be “tapped” after the Tory conference. Slightly less sure since Farage, shark-like, seems to smell Johnson’s blood in the water.
    You think he might be aiming higher than Ambssador? Sir Nige...Baron Von Nigel..Could Boris give him Cornwall?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Nigel could not become PM without a Tory pact so he would need it too, there would likely be Tory candidates only in the South Brexit Party candidates only in the North
    Not Nigel's style.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

You'll have to trust me that the Queen is not about to take any kind of an active part in the political process.
    Agreed. It is incredibly dangerous for the Monarch to be sucked in to this quagmire.
  • Options
    Charles said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

For the country the problem is theres no grouping with sufficient support to run the country and it looks like no election will be permitted to try to change that for several months. Again, Boris going doesnt change thst much.

If the government resigns the only acceptable replacement would be one whose only purpose would be to extend and then call a GE.

I honestly cannot see another move for Johnson unless the EU for some reason decide to cave in, and by his own logic it wont because parliament has taken no deal off the table.

He cannot stop the Commons doing whatever it wants anymore, he cannot take action other than resignation. But that's such a nuclear option.

Seriously, what can he try next? He and the Tories will be petrified of that BXP rating, even attacking the judges is not getting the share down, what more can he do?
    Why would attacking our legal system do anything to reduce the BXP vote share - if anything Nigel is now the saner Brexiter option.
    And this really is the problem with what the Commons has done

They can not negotiate a Treaty themselves, but refused the Executive’s proposal. They are refusing to replace the government and won’t call an election.

We are in stasis because of parliament overreaching
    The PM has been replaced by one of the people who rejected the WA.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

A cowardly Prime Minister lying to a monarch and unlawfully suspending parliamentary democracy.

A bullying POTUS facing impeachment.

Spain digging up the stinking corpse of Franco.

A Prime Minister who thinks he is above the law being investigated for not being able to keep his pants on, and using taxpayers’ cash to treat his girlfriend.

A vulnerable Swedish teenager having a very public mental breakdown, live on all global media.

The Dutch government losing its parliamentary majority.

The monarch’s pervie second son promoting himself as “Pitch@Palace” (boke).

That must have been the perfect day to bury bad news (come back Jo Moore, all is forgiven). What did I miss?

Bet Salmond wishes his trial was underway!
    He has nothing to worry about , he has won round one and pocketed £500K, will the hapless crew do any better in a stitch up against him in round 2 compared to round 1.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800

HYUFD said:

Still no Labour lead though and Comres is the most pro Labour pollster now, all the movement Tory and LD to Brexit Party with Labour unchanged confirming Boris must stick to his guns and even harden his Brexit stance further, he must under no circumstances whatsoever extend and go into opposition instead
    It is time for the return of the PB tag, “unspoofable”.
    Do we think that "going into opposition" counts as "dying" to the BXP inclined. Surely they demand he break the law, refuse to extend, refuse to obey unjust, wicked laws, poo on the table at the EU summit. Or something.

Going meekly into opposition without being bodily removed is not dying.

The worry should be the CON-BXP swing in this poll.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

My main recollection of Dick Emery was that he had a very complicated love life.

He was Trans before it was fashionable?
    Please don't. I know some trans people and the mental health issues caused by their condition can be horrendous. Whatever else it is, trans is not "fashionable".
    Sorry, my apologies.

Cross dressing is a venerable theatrical tradition, and not generally to do with gender identity.

A poor taste quip.

:+1:
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Chris said:

SandraMc said:

I am so old that not only did I get the reference and know who Dick Emery was but I knew people who knew him. He once invited a reporter friend who had interviewed him to dinner and when she turned him down, he turned up at her newspaper office declaring he was in love with her (she had only met him the once). Another friend went to one of his many weddings where he spent most of the wedding reception smooching an ex-wife and ignoring his bride.

I wonder what made the Sun think of a priapic comedian in connection with Boris?
    Could the Sun just have been poking fun at Lady Hale's appearance? Amazing as it seems that such a thing could happen in the 21st century.

Not that she really resembles either of Dick Emery's female personae - particularly the one who used that catchphrase.
    The Sun headline is the dog that didn't bark. It chose not to attack the prime minister for obvious incompetence. The front page is weak for a purpose
  • Options

He was awful
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843

eristdoof said:

I used to read Slashdot regularly fifteen to twenty years ago. Now, when I pop in every so often, it seems a little dead. ISTR there was a takeover that changed it slightly?

And this tells me that I'm getting old - and so is t'Internet and t'web. We're seeing a second generation born of people who have lived whilst the web has existed in a popular, commercial sense. Their world growing up is massively different to the one I grew up in - and much of that is down to the web.

Slashdot! Dear heavens... a blast from the past. I never liked it all that much because of some of the "theological" arguments on programming style or the GPL, etc. I preferred reading Pamela Jones's Groklaw at the time.

As for the internet, I can remember lying in the bath reading a computer mag of the time that had two interesting stories about new technologies. One about a new graphical interface for the internet and a tool call Mosaic to access it, and the other about the hottest new language of the day - Java.

I used to have to access the internet via WAIS, ftp and telnet via CIX. Then Demon;s dial-up set me free at a sizzling 33.6K :D:D
    There were text based internet "browsers", but AFAI remember Mosaic was a really big step forward in making the internet usable.

I had no such problems with download speeds as my online access was at uni, it was a good time to be a postgraduate student.

Yes - Mosaic inspired Netscape and the rest was history and we all used Netscape because Bill Gates said the Internet was a waste of time and Micro$oft were not wasting any time on it. Then came the mother of all backtracks and life for webpage builders more then doubled in complexity when the deformed, evil troll that was IE5 was foisted on us all.
    Followed by the even more demented IE6, which for some reason every large company decided to write an intranet for - despite the fact that it was utterly incompatible with any other browser before or since. Must have consumed billions of $currencyunit over the years to put that all right.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    How do you think the Benn Bill was passed?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Anecdotally, I think Mike is right about unanimity making a difference. My uncle, a longstanding UKIP voter (former member in Cornwall) and keenly pro-Brexit, said regretfully this morning "Well, it's hard to argue when they were unanimous".
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    LOL, easy to say when you are a nobody that will ever be in that position.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Boris's speech at the UN was relaxed and witty. He didn't come across to me as someone clinging on for dear life.

The court judgement clearly wasn't part of the plan but beyond the ability to cause some embarrassment and giving MPs a longer platform to out compete each other with outrage, it's still not clear to me what's really changed from Monday.

Get a sellable deal and pass it, stumps up, beers all round in the pavillion. Don't get a sellable deal before 19 Oct and, well no one's quite sure. But we weren't quite sure on Monday either.
  • Options

Corbyn will be sent for.

Maybe Corbyn does not have the confidence of the House, but that has not yet been demonstrated.

After this week it you could forgive the Palace for playing the straightest of bats and calling for Corbyn.

And who would be against?

The Tories would love Corbyn to be the one to pull the trigger on an extension thereby finishing Labour's chances at the GE.

Corbyn would love the (probably only) chance of being PM even if it is for the shortest period on record.

The SNP are desperate for an election.

And the LD's will probably be looking positively at their momentum knowing that they will hack chunks off Labour at a GE.

Everybody wins.

Except Labour MPs.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Foxy said:
    Geoffrey Cox has the ability to be profoundly stupid as only clever people can be.
    I cannot understand why people are impressed with him. His main claim to fame seems to be his shouty Brian Blessed type of pronouncement. He strikes me as a bombastic ass.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    HYUFD said:

Such a winner...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Chris said:

SandraMc said:

I am so old that not only did I get the reference and know who Dick Emery was but I knew people who knew him. He once invited a reporter friend who had interviewed him to dinner and when she turned him down, he turned up at her newspaper office declaring he was in love with her (she had only met him the once). Another friend went to one of his many weddings where he spent most of the wedding reception smooching an ex-wife and ignoring his bride.

I wonder what made the Sun think of a priapic comedian in connection with Boris?
    Could the Sun just have been poking fun at Lady Hale's appearance? Amazing as it seems that such a thing could happen in the 21st century.

Not that she really resembles either of Dick Emery's female personae - particularly the one who used that catchphrase.
    The Sun headline is the dog that didn't bark. It chose not to attack the prime minister for obvious incompetence. The front page is weak for a purpose
    They also chose not to do a stronger front page supporting Johnson: “Oh you aren’t lawful.... But we do like you”
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

If it's alright with PB, I prefer to remain anonymous. Like yourself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I would imagine the Palace don't want get involved in this nasty quagmire of the politicians' making. Both Remainers and Leavers are just playing political games.

At this critical juncture, the Palace will surely do the uncontroversial thing (especially after Cameron's indiscretion, and Boris' blundering).

If the PM can't command the confidence of the House, then the uncontroversial thing is to send for the Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition.

If they do anything else (like parachute in some great & good figure), then they are in an incredibly dangerous position (especially if it goes wrong!)

Corbyn will be sent for.

Is that the uncontroversial thing? Has a PM been replaced by the Leader of the Opposition in any circumstance other than following a general election? That seems quite controversial, particularly as the LotO is nominally 79 seats short of a majority.

The conventional thing to do would be to find out which member of the Cabinet was best placed to command the confidence of the House - but I suppose if Johnson manages to keep everyone in line HMQ will be forced to do something controversial for want of any other option.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

"A poor taste quip."

They're often the best, but I was concerned that you young 'uns were misremembering how awful the Dick Emery Show was. Les Dawson did something similar but his portrayal was accurate.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

Given that you’re an exceptionally eloquent writer for someone who trades primarily on their looks, you should definitely think about starting up a travel blog or vlog about the places you visit.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If Laura K thinks Johnson is n trouble with his own side HYUFD will need some pretty powerful polls before I'd bet on him surviving

Boris is not in trouble and if he goes Dominic Raab is certain to replace him on a pact with the Brexit Party ticket for ultra hard Brexit
    No.
    Mr J Hunt MP will have most Tory support, the MPs would select him and hope to regain 18 or 20 missing members of Parliament.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

Preparation H
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

That must be a first for an international male model to be so shy and inhibited.
  • Options

Corbyn will be sent for.

After this week it you could forgive the Palace for playing the straightest of bats and calling for Corbyn.

And who would be against?

The Tories would love Corbyn to be the one to pull the trigger on an extension thereby finishing Labour's chances at the GE.

Corbyn would love the (probably only) chance of being PM even if it is for the shortest period on record.

The SNP are desperate for an election.

And the LD's will probably be looking positively at their momentum knowing that they will hack chunks off Labour at a GE.

Everybody wins.

Except Labour MPs.
    I agree with all that. The Palace is already exposed. They will do the cautious, uncontroversial thing.

The Palace will send for Corbyn, as leader of Her Majesty's Opposition. If MPs don't like it, then let them VNOC him.

It is not the Palace's job to find a favourite childminder for 650 infants.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Agreed. It is incredibly dangerous for the Monarch to be sucked in to this quagmire.
    This is incorrect.

The Sovereign, through the Crown in Parliament and prerogative powers, takes a huge part in the constitutional political process. The seismic difference is that it is not party political.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

I haven't flown for 18 months. You can have my flight for the year...

48% no flights in a year is quite an interesting statistic.
    Yes. It is 48% in a single year, though.

There will be people who took flights in the year before, and the year after, but just happened to go a year without doing so.

At a guess I'd guess that the proportion who hadn't taken a flight in the last five years was down around 25%.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

He was awful
    Yes he was . Strangely, Harry Enfield modeled his act on him.

Enfield was a lot better though.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

Have you developed some sort of alter ego or are you seriously expecting us to believe this?

Perhaps there may be certain things that can be done for those who are self employed or who's work is travel dependent.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Massive Popcorn Alert.

JRM first up in the HoC shortly after 11:30am.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

That must be a first for an international male model to be so shy and inhibited.
    I am known throughout the industry for my intense modesty. And amazing pecs.
  • Options
    JackW said:

This is incorrect.

The Sovereign, through the Crown in Parliament and prerogative powers, takes a huge part in the constitutional political process. The seismic difference is that it is not party political.

I just said the Palace don't want to be sucked into the quagmire.

I am sure that is correct.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

The Sun headline is weird. Just unfunny and probably completely over the heads of anyone under 40.

The Dick Emery show ended in 1982 when today’s 40 year olds would have been 3 - I’d add at least a decade (and a bit) to that!
    Who or what was the Dick Emery show?
    It passed as comedy in the Seventies and early Eighties, but was blown away by alternative comedy.

When there were only 3 channels, few video recorders, and no t'internet, people would watch any old rot. Though in those days news and current affairs were very well done. People had longer attention spans then, and channel hopping was less common without a remote control. You actually had to get off the sofa to change channel.
    You tell youngsters that today and they don't believe you.
    It's not true, you could change the channel with a stick
    Some stick you would need to turn the old knobs, that was what children were for.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

It sounds a great idea, avoiding penalising families who want to take a single break but escalating so that even businesses shift faster into teleconferencing etc. But I missed it altogether - who's suggested that?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    edited September 2019

How old would you need to be to get the Dick Emery reference in the Sun headline? Mid-50s, 60s?

All the 4s?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

Also Tena for Men
  • Options
    Today is the twelfth anniversary of this magnificent and prescient article.

We cannot be killed.

‘Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority’.

https://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    JackW said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

"2.9 command the confidence of the House of Commons in his or her place.
    2.10 The application of these principles depends on the specific circumstances and it remaon in which clear advice could be given to the Sovereign on who should be asked to form a government. It remains to be seen whether or not these examples will be regarded in future as having established a constitutional convention."

This is incorrect.

Sozza Jack no one respects your finger on the pulse of the monarchy (since inception?) more than me. But the palace is going to do nothing active. It will at all times be advised by and follow the instructions of/agree to the politicians.
  • Options
    And speak of the devil I am about to take a flight right now so will wish you all a good morning.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Any sign of a contempt of parliament motion in Johnson or Rees Mogg?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

Yes I remember him. Poor thing confused being a good writer (which he undoubtedly was) with having any kind of a discerning or superior palate.
    I once saw a copy of The Ice Twins at a petrol station near East Midlands Airport. I moved it to behind all the other shite books to impede its sale.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Scott_P said:
    Finishing 2nd to the team supported by the Scousers.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

If Laura K thinks Johnson is n trouble with his own side HYUFD will need some pretty powerful polls before I'd bet on him surviving

Boris is not in trouble and if he goes Dominic Raab is certain to replace him on a pact with the Brexit Party ticket for ultra hard Brexit
    It cannot get worse surely, Raab is the King of the Donkeys.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Both failed to pass the Commons only the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop passed the Commons and that is what Boris is still aiming for
    They failed but only barely, and they weren't tested as a package.

So the LDs mostly voted down CU, and the moderate (many now ex-) Cons voted down Referendum.

I'm sure the LDs don't have anything non-tactical against adding CU to the stew, and I expect most of the ex-Cons would suck up the referendum to get the thing done now Boris has burned their bridges.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Such a winner...
    This is one of those situations where you need to lose to win.

You can tell the penny is starting to drop on here about where this is heading.

The government resigning is checkmate.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

We cannot be killed.

‘Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority’.

Not much has happened since then, has it?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Already old news.

Nobody will be interested by tomorrow.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited September 2019
    I suspect everyone knew Boris was playing silly buggers, but hasn't Parliament been doing the same? Now it's holding up its skirt and screaming like a Victorian spinster at the sight of a mouse.

Telling Parliament an obvious lie is terrible, but telling obvious porkies to the electorate is fine.

And they wonder why no one trusts politicians.
  • Options

Byronic said:

It sounds a great idea, avoiding penalising families who want to take a single break but escalating so that even businesses shift faster into teleconferencing etc. But I missed it altogether - who's suggested that?
    It's in the Guardian article. Drill down. The idea seems to be a Green/Greenpeace thingy.

We are coming to the end of the golden age of travel. In future, it will be rationed. Only the rich will go to Tuscany in summer, because you will need a very expensive ticket to get in.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2019

malcolmg said:

He was awful
    Yes he was . Strangely, Harry Enfield modeled his act on him.

Enfield was a lot better though.
    I never noticed. Enfield was dire IMO...

Looking back at 70s/80s comedy on YT, Morecombe and Wise still stand out for some of their stuff and Marty Feldman had sparks of brilliance. But nobody came close to Kenny Everett...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The government resigning is checkmate.

Damn, where did I put the ROFLcopter...
  • Options
    philiph said:

No.
    Mr J Hunt MP will have most Tory support, the MPs would select him and hope to regain 18 or 20 missing members of Parliament.

Before Brexit is finalised there is more chance of me being leader than Hunt.

• Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

The Sun headline is weird. Just unfunny and probably completely over the heads of anyone under 40.

The Dick Emery show ended in 1982 when today’s 40 year olds would have been 3 - I’d add at least a decade (and a bit) to that!
    Who or what was the Dick Emery show?
    It passed as comedy in the Seventies and early Eighties, but was blown away by alternative comedy.

When there were only 3 channels, few video recorders, and no t'internet, people would watch any old rot. Though in those days news and current affairs were very well done. People had longer attention spans then, and channel hopping was less common without a remote control. You actually had to get off the sofa to change channel.
    You tell youngsters that today and they don't believe you.
    There was a survey quoted on here where a significant no of our young people thought Hitler was a good guy.. Some people don't realise peas are grown, they think they are manufactured... they walk amongst us...
    Everyone should eat peas fresh from the pod at least once.
    Hard to believe apart from maybe toddlers that they have not.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

*innocent face*

Yes I remember him. Poor thing confused being a good writer (which he undoubtedly was) with having any kind of a discerning or superior palate.
    I once saw a copy of The Ice Twins at a petrol station near East Midlands Airport. I moved it to behind all the other shite books to impede its sale.
    "The whole book was heavily over punctuated, with commas here, there and everywhere. Give this one a wide berth. You're missing nothing."

(Amazon Review)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

We cannot be killed.

We still have a disastrous mandateless/unelected Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It's in the Guardian article. Drill down. The idea seems to be a Green/Greenpeace thingy.

We are coming to the end of the golden age of travel. In future, it will be rationed. Only the rich will go to Tuscany in summer, because you will need a very expensive ticket to get in.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

We cannot be killed.

We still have a disastrous mandateless/unelected Prime Minister.
    To be fair to Boris, he has twice had his MPs vote for an election. Unlike scaredy-cat Gordon.
This discussion has been closed.