Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Summary : August 2019

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Isn’t that more or less an explicit exhortation to stockpile?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    AndyJS said:

Apparently Dominic Cummings has game-theoried every possible scenario for the next few days and weeks, so if it all goes wrong for the government we'll know how good he is at game theory.

Yes, he has gamed a game of chicken against a freight train
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    A member of they Irish government is called the Taint-se ?

Too many gags...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126

CatMan said:

Interesting if there is another hung parliament:
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1168248511063822336?s=20

The pollster says that is bollocks

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1168253791185100801
    So on those figures then at the next general election Northern Ireland would still elect a majority of Unionist MPs (9 DUP and Lady Hermon), with 7 SF Nationalist MPs and 1 Alliance MP
  • Options

Yes
  • Options
    Charles said:

Has this been done? If so I imagine there was a chorus of demands that the silly old fool keep his nose out of matters temporal.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1168070013707636736?s=20

Yes, you posted it yesterday. Big drinker or something? Not that that's a criticism.
    Since I didn't post it previously, I don't think it's me who should be checking my drinking.
    As a self-professed die-hard Remainer atheist, I would tell him that wearing a funny collar and clothes does not confer wisdom, nor is there a pipeline of eternal verities coming into his skull from on high.
    I was criticising him only a week ago for looking to convene a citizens assembly and dismissing anyone who favoured a No Deal Brexit, ruling it out entirely.

Maybe he should just stick to matters theological?
    I suspect his boss had a word
    Plague of locusts?
  • Options

Well at least we know the majority will be gone this week.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1168259785906688000?s=21

Does it matter.

Boris is goading the HOC to vonc and will fight on people v parliament, the elite, and the EU overturning their referendum

And if the polls are to be believed he is winning the argument
    Depends if they give him an election or make him limp on, emasculated.
    Why - don't tell me Corbyn is now frit of an election
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Scott_P said:
    It will be interesting what they do at the border in a no deal case.

It appears the details are top secret so they must have a plan.

Why not just share it and do a deal
    Id imagine they have already ordered all the barbed wire and ordered the uniforms - and have a cheque from the EU to pay for it all.

I note that the ROI will become a net contributor to the EU after Brexit - ouch.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Has this been done? If so I imagine there was a chorus of demands that the silly old fool keep his nose out of matters temporal.

He is only representing his flock, 66% of Anglicans voted Leave
    Given around a third of Anglicans live in the diocese of London and well over half the rest must live South of Birmingham, that figure surprises me.

Edit - come to think of it, aren't all the Anglicans in this forum Remainers?
    No

(But then I am a Liberal High Anglican)
    So far it's 3-2 not counting HYUFD.
    60/40 not too different to HYUFD’s estimate
  • Options

People don’t give a sh*t mate. It’s just a flag and incredibly unbritish to get your knickers in a twist over.

I have a feeling you're projecting your sense of right and wrong on to decent people.

I’m a decent person thank you.
    I am sure you are but like so many you fight your cause without consideration that you may not be correct from time to time

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, you posted it yesterday. Big drinker or something? Not that that's a criticism.
    Since I didn't post it previously, I don't think it's me who should be checking my drinking.
    As a self-professed die-hard Remainer atheist, I would tell him that wearing a funny collar and clothes does not confer wisdom, nor is there a pipeline of eternal verities coming into his skull from on high.
    I was criticising him only a week ago for looking to convene a citizens assembly and dismissing anyone who favoured a No Deal Brexit, ruling it out entirely.

Can I just check - people do know he's a member of Parliament?
    Which constituency did he stand in and how many votes did he get?
    The House of Bishops and more than any other member of the Lords?
    So the people - ordinary people like you and me - voted him in to represent them?

I do tolerate the Lords in general, mostly because they tend to act as a brake on some of the dafter legislation the Commons occasionally dreams up, but hereditary Lords and Bishops can go jump in the canal as far as I am concerned.
    Well, I had an indirect vote as a member of the Church of England. As did others, e.g. Foxy and El Capitano. So I would argue he is actually present due to a more democratic process than most members of the lords. Remember, around 90 of them are there basically because their ancestors spread their legs for the right Monarch.
    Point of order!

@Foxy is a Nonconformist, and not in the C of E.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Scott_P said:
    As we have seen many times before the intent of a message from the government and the meaning the public deduce from it are often at odds. But don't worry about it, Johnson and the puppetmaster have it all worked out.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Apparently Dominic Cummings has game-theoried every possible scenario for the next few days and weeks, so if it all goes wrong for the government we'll know how good at game theory he is.

It was quite funny when it was commented that while Gauke was on holiday floating on unicorn lilos Cummings was gaming every possibility 24/7 throughout the whole recess
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Apparently Dominic Cummings has game-theoried every possible scenario for the next few days and weeks, so if it all goes wrong for the government we'll know how good he is at game theory.

Let's hope it turns out to be of the Hornby variety.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes it is
  • Options

People don’t give a sh*t mate. It’s just a flag and incredibly unbritish to get your knickers in a twist over.

I have a feeling you're projecting your sense of right and wrong on to decent people.

I am sure you are but like so many you fight your cause without consideration that you may not be correct from time to time

There's nothing especially decent about declaring no one give a shit about burning the national flag.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

Interesting to see on the previous thread that Beverley (a self-professed die hard Remainer) would accept EEA-EFTA.

I would also be willing to accept this, now, as a compromise to settle the issue. Revisit if needs be in 10-15 years time to see how it's working.

Is there still hope?

Late to the party but I would also take this if offered now, despite wanting a referendum personally. My main motivation is stopping the Settled Ststus scheme, so I could never get behind the negotiated deal or see it as a compromise, but EEA would get us over the line and begin to take the heat out of the argument which is boiling over right now.

Then after a few years we could see whether we felt we had it right, we wanted to move further away, or felt that we'd made a mistake and look to rejoin.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Charles said:

But that's 60/40 Remain, so the opposite of what HYUFD said. However, seems I was mistaken about one:
    Foxy said:

Point of order!

So that makes it 50/50 with HYUFD swinging around more than a priest in a...let's not go there.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    Scott_P said:
    Thanks. It is a very good article and underlines how difficult it is going to be for the rebels to prevent No Deal.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Let's hope it turns out to be of the Hornby variety.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeBy3_xqYtM
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,357
    edited September 2019

There's nothing especially decent about declaring no one give a shit about burning the national flag.
    I agree, hence my comment
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

I do my upmost to not make any absolute statements of fact but rather suggest that maybe it’s not the whole story.

Maybe in this case I should have started my comment with ‘many’.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

But that's 60/40 Remain, so the opposite of what HYUFD said. However, seems I was mistaken about one:
    Foxy said:

Point of order!

So that makes it 50/50 with HYUFD swinging around more than a priest in a...let's not go there.
    Feel free to add me to the list of Anglican Leavers.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

No, as Boris still wants to pass the Withdrawal Agreement to move to a FTA while replacing the backstop with a technical solution ……...

…..which has been refused. As everyone, including Boris, knew it would be.

He's not even trying for the WA, it was never even remotely a serious proposal from him.
  • Options
    The threat to sack a bunch of Tory MPs seems somewhat cavalier for a PM with a majority of 1...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Lol: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/01/passports-pets-gb-stickers-brexit-advice-issued-britons

"However, the site shows that not everyone is affected by Brexit. British nationals who live and work in the UK, do not run a business and have no plans to travel abroad are told to simply sit back and relax: “Based on your responses, you do not need to take any action to prepare for the Brexit deadline of 31 October 2019.”"

What should it be recommending? If you live and work in the UK, don't have a business, and have no plans to travel there isn't much for you to do.
    Stock up on canned goods. We've already started but I'm not sure if Heinz Ravioli has all the nutritional ingredients required.
    I wouldn't expect absolute shortages of food, more that certain foods become unavailable.
    Which is why we have laid down a store of capers and other middle class luxuries. Our Brexit stockpile is extensive and delicious
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Apparently Dominic Cummings has game-theoried every possible scenario for the next few days and weeks, so if it all goes wrong for the government we'll know how good at game theory he is.

It was quite funny when it was commented that while Gauke was on holiday floating on unicorn lilos Cummings was gaming every possibility 24/7 throughout the whole recess
    Has Cummings gamed the possibility that No Deal will be an economic disaster?
  • Options

Maybe you shouldn’t be such a snowflake ❄️?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Has Cummings gamed the possibility that No Deal will be an economic disaster?
    I very much doubt he cares, sadly
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,785

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSANTRnEBgg
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Lol: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/01/passports-pets-gb-stickers-brexit-advice-issued-britons

"However, the site shows that not everyone is affected by Brexit. British nationals who live and work in the UK, do not run a business and have no plans to travel abroad are told to simply sit back and relax: “Based on your responses, you do not need to take any action to prepare for the Brexit deadline of 31 October 2019.”"

What should it be recommending? If you live and work in the UK, don't have a business, and have no plans to travel there isn't much for you to do.
    Stock up on canned goods. We've already started but I'm not sure if Heinz Ravioli has all the nutritional ingredients required.
    I wouldn't expect absolute shortages of food, more that certain foods become unavailable.
    Which is why we have laid down a store of capers and other middle class luxuries. Our Brexit stockpile is extensive and delicious
    Anchovies and olive oil - neither of which can be home grown AFAIK
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,209
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting to see on the previous thread that Beverley (a self-professed die hard Remainer) would accept EEA-

I woukd be willing
    That's probably the biggest blocker. But I think migration from the EU is decreasing in salience as an issue and an emergency brake would cover it.
    In 10 years maybe but we have to deliver the Vote Leave campaign to replace free movement from the EU with a points system first as well as doing our own trade
    "...what Leave voters really voted for" Now there's a thing.

It's incredible the way some people are self-appointing themselves as the only true diviners of what 17m people voted for.
    Vote Leave campaigned for a points system to replace free movement and to do our own trade deals, if you voted Leave that was the official campaign platform for Leave you were voting for. It has to be tried first to respect the Leave vote, staying in the Single Market and Customs Union does not deliver it
    Well, no. It’s respecting the first and last bullet points in this part of the Leave pitch that Johnson is betraying Leave voters by ignoring-

No, as Boris still wants to pass the Withdrawal Agreement to move to a FTA while replacing the backstop with a technical solution so the whole UK leaves the single market and customs union and replaces free movement with a points system and can do its own trade deals and is free of control from European courts
    You cannot get away with that line for much longer. If he wanted any of those those things he’d be pushing for enough time to get them in place - something impossible to do before 31 October. You know there is no “technical solution” as well as anyone or you would have told us what it is by now. It’s just the same tired phrases that mean nothing “Diehard Remainers”, “points based”, “technical solutions”. There is no “technical solution”.

https://news.sky.com/story/technological-solution-to-irish-border-issue-could-be-a-decade-away-says-home-office-document-11696337

We already have a “points system” for non EEA nationals that is has failed completely and no proposals have been put forward for a new one that is.

https://capx.co/britains-immigration-isnt-fit-for-purpose/

It’s all empty phrases, all of it. It’s all you have. You can persuade huge numbers of people by telling them nice things they love to hear but you can’t deliver any of it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The threat to sack a bunch of Tory MPs seems somewhat cavalier for a PM with a majority of 1...

Not at all. Some of them are behaving like opposition MPs whilst retaining the Whip. It's time for them to choose and live with the consequences.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

No, as Boris still wants to pass the Withdrawal Agreement to move to a FTA while replacing the backstop with a technical solution ……...

He's not even trying for the WA, it was never even remotely a serious proposal from him.
    I do think Boris would put an 11th hour offer from the EU of the WA sans-BStop to parliament.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious I think the likelihood of that is pretty remote.

That leaves no-deal or a GE...there are no other outs for Boris.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It is a superb piece of political machinations.

Those Tory ultra-remainers were never going to be loyal Boris supporters whilst he was PM regardless of the outcome of Brexit.

He has given them the option of taking the knee or being politically neutered...and I think you will be surprised about how many choose the former.

• Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

And Good Brie?
  • Options
    I have been saying this for days

The whole strategy is so obvious and it is not just conservatives rebels who need to fear their deselection and a GE but a good number of independents and labour mps in leave areas will be bidding farewell to their careers
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Scott_P said:

Not at all. Some of them are behaving like opposition MPs whilst retaining the Whip. It's time for them to choose and live with the consequences.
    By that measure Boris, Rees-Mogg et al should have the whip withdrawn as they voted against the WA...
  • Options

He has given them the option of taking the knee or being politically neutered...and I think you will be surprised about how many choose the former.

If thy lose the whip, BoZo is the one that's politically neutered...
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

And Good Brie?
    Ah well, there I have to disagree with you... Somerset brie is very good (at least the one they sell in Waitrose is).
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

And Good Brie?

It might be Good Brie to All That in 2 months time :wink:
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

I bought 10l of olive oil today. Plus loo paper [ I think 4 x 16 ] and lots of water.
    Just the start.
  • Options

Charles said:

I suspect his boss had a word
    Plague of locusts?
    His boss is the Supreme Governor
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I have been saying this for days

The whole strategy is so obvious and it is not just conservatives rebels who need to fear their deselection and a GE but a good number of independents and labour mps in leave areas will be bidding farewell to their careers
    Indeed, the No Deal Government advertising is conveniently times as well! :wink:
  • Options

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

I do think Boris would put an 11th hour offer from the EU of the WA sans-BStop to parliament.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious I think the likelihood of that is pretty remote.

That leaves no-deal or a GE...there are no other outs for Boris.
    Yes, I am sure you were all for applying the same standards to the ERG earlier in the year.
  • Options
    Until last week I thought that we were fortunate enough to be living in a free society where burning the national flag would result in nothing more than a tut tut and a frown.

Now, with Bozo's Stasi tendencies, it will probably get you locked up like it does in numerous other dictatorships.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,598
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    Thanks. It is a very good article and underlines how difficult it is going to be for the rebels to prevent No Deal.
    To be fair it is difficult because the 'rebels' don't know what they want (only what they don't), don't know who should lead them, don't know if they have the numbers, and don't know who should form the new government following VONC. Apart from that they are coherent and organised. And good at blaming the other side for using every tactic in the book, just like themselves.

Oh yes, and they may also have forgotten that government policy is to get a deal, not no deal.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Point of order!

I was the third C of E who said they were a leaver
  • Options

Scott_P said:

By that measure Boris, Rees-Mogg et al should have the whip withdrawn as they voted against the WA...
    May did not make it an issue of confidence so your point is irrelevant.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Bloody hell - Rory Stewart. "I'm Sparticus!" Top marks that man!

He's the only Tory I could vote for.
  • Options
    Well say what you like, this is bringing it to a head
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    I think on Tuesday Boris loses his majority

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1168266343793221632
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787

There are always a few idiots, but the plethora of Union Flags at #Peoplesvote marches amongst the other flags shows that there are plenty of patriotic Remainers.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Point of order!

I was the third C of E who said they were a leaver
    I'm a C of E Remainer, just saying.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There are always a few idiots, but the plethora of Union Flags at #Peoplesvote marches amongst the other flags shows that there are plenty of patriotic Remainers.
    You can be patriotic but still not care about a few idiots burning a flag. Flag waving is just naff anyway.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

And Good Brie?
    Ah well, there I have to disagree with you... Somerset brie is very good (at least the one they sell in Waitrose is).
    In that case, cancel the revolution.

BTW I always refer to 'Good Brie' in homage to the Catherine Tate sketch.
  • Options
    BoZo's mission to unite the party going well then...
  • Options
    eek said:

Upto minus circa 20
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I’m prepared to drive to Penrith to campaign for him if it comes to that. An honest, intelligent, reasoned man who’s willing to actually listen apparently has no place in the Tory party.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    eek said:

The government is over, it has no majority. What next though?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Scott_P said:
    Ah, but there's a new Sheriff in town now, boys.

And he likes a lynchin'.....
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

And Good Brie?

Ah - apols.

Even though I like the Catherine Tate sketches I have seen, I somehow missed most of her stuff, so I probably fell into that one.

Still, am I bovvered?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Scott_P said:

He's meant to be uniting the country, or so he claims, never mind just the party.
  • Options
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Scott_P said:

Well, yes.

Expel those that disagree and yes men remain.

Not a good outcome, but united for a while.
  • Options

Foxy said:

You can be patriotic but still not care about a few idiots burning a flag. Flag waving is just naff anyway.
    Tens of thousands do that daily in our country with the EU flag - so naff as well !!!!
  • Options

A GE which Johnson will win.....

In your dreams...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Tens of thousands do that daily in our country with the EU flag - so naff as well !!!!
    I don’t disagree.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

We have passed the point of relevancy for routine parliamentary business.

This is coming to a head in the next week or so and those Tories not standing down at the next GE will be faced with the question about whether they support the EU or they support 17m+ of their own citizens.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Will the back me or get the sack really crack the opposition?

File under Back;Sack;Crack.
  • Options

Rory will be an excellent addition to the Lib Dem's.

And I mean that genuinely.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Until last week I thought that we were fortunate enough to be living in a free society where burning the national flag would result in nothing more than a tut tut and a frown.

Now, with Bozo's Stasi tendencies, it will probably get you locked up like it does in numerous other dictatorships.

Really - what evidence do you have for this?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

In your dreams...
    In your nightmares.....
  • Options
    Tories 6/4 to have an overall majority....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Go back to your constituencies and prepare for victory..."
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

And Good Brie?

Ah - apols.

Even though I like the Catherine Tate sketches I have seen, I somehow missed most of her stuff, so I probably fell into that one.

Still, am I bovvered?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JwM9t8AFVVc&ved=2ahUKEwiFtNfNxLDkAhVkQxUIHY9BCuwQwqsBMAB6BAgIEAU&usg=AOvVaw2F73kcnz_ryTnP6OkObLA8
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We have passed the point of relevancy for routine parliamentary business.

This is coming to a head in the next week or so and those Tories not standing down at the next GE will be faced with the question about whether they support the EU or they support 17m+ of their own citizens.

They support 60m+ of their own citizens. That’s why they want to avoid ‘no deal’.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:

Well, yes.

Expel those that disagree and yes men remain.

Not a good outcome, but united for a while.
    Men !!! - surely men and women
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Hammond, Gauke and Grieve were finished anyway.

Their refusal to accept the democratic will of 17m+ has left them diminished and tarnished such that they are electoral poison.
  • Options

Tories 6/4 to have an overall majority....

Fill your boots.
  • Options
    I feel there must be a New Thread coming any moment.

(No, it's not here yet)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,357
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:

In your dreams...
    I think he has a good chance especially if Farage agrees a pact with him
This discussion has been closed.