Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Induction Technique. Comparing and combining betting markets

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,650
    edited September 2019
    Freggles said:

Ironically Teesside University is one of its better current exports.

That's not saying much as it is ranked as one of the worst uni's in the country, albeit still higher than Sunderland.

It’s good enough for the huge, american conglomerate that I work for to use it for both engineering and business studies/management degrees. It also has a reasonably big International Student population.
    They should ask for their money back on the business studies at least...ranked 83 out of 122.
    It's good at a few niche subjects like computer aided animation and more practical things like social work iirc
    This is my general issue with the way university expansion has gone. We have created 130+ universities that in order to become unis (rather than polys / HE facilities) have to had to add a wider range of subjects. The result a dilution at massive cost, and lots and lots of crap degrees.

Very very few old polys have become excellent all round unis, and often in order to offer the "wider range" they have come up with all sorts of crap rather than offering say STEM.

Winchester was decent teacher training place, Coventry for practical mechanical engineering, Harper Adams for agriculture. Now all piss poor ranked unis.
  • Options

The affluent areas get the affluent immigrants and the deprived areas get the deprived immigrants.

I've been saying that for years.

The group which loses out most is the UK's working poor and the group which gains most is the UK's non-working rich.

There's an element of truth in your first statement for sure. A lot of the difference in perspective on immigration comes from different first hand experience. So in my case, when I read people saying immigrants are terrible, lazy, unproductive etc it is just laughable and also insulting because my own experience has been 100% the opposite and you are talking about my friends and family.
    But that is why to be objective you need to look at the data and serious empirical analysis, and the message from that is unambiguously that immigration from the EU has been good for the UK. There is almost no evidence of a negative effect on wages for instance.
    If you don't look at the data, we are just swapping anecdotes and a load of small sample observations conditioned by prejudice and preconceptions. I had a great Polish builder vs you saw a Slovakian Roma begging in Rotherham town centre. We could do that all day without learning anything.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Johnson should go for the early election option in my opinion. It'll make the other parties look less keen on democracy than they claim if they refuse it.

I think it is nailed on. He has no majority and it is clear that parliament are going to try and find a way to block everything, from no-deal to legislation required to move forward.

I think the selling point is clear. Unlike the narrative over May's early GE, which was I want a big majority and I am not willing to really campaign (plus absolute stinker policies).

Team Boris pitch will be Brexit will never happen unless, which the aim of capturing the pro-Brexit supporters with assumption anti-Brexit will split among all the other parties.

If it will work or not is another matter.
    But an election isn't in Boris's control - he needs to get Parliament to agree to one and their ideal conditions for an election are the exact opposite of his.

So he sits tight until they VONC him. How long do you think he’d last if he agreed to an extension beyond Oct 31?
    What does how long would Boris last have to do with the opposition voting for a general election?

Heck Boris going and JRM or another nutjob becoming Tory leader would do the opposition wonders...
    The house passes a motion on extending. Boris refuses to implement it. What’s the house going to do?
    The Remainers are taking a knife to a gun fight. They may have the Twittersphere with them. But they haven't got the wider public onside.
    The wider public is not above the law
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,227
    Ratters said:

The immediate option open to the house is to VONC. Meanwhile Boris will be all over the TV saying “look how they’re trying to sabotage getting a deal” and “ Ill ask for an extension if they drop the backstop”.

VONC will only occur in the event that the legislative route fails, i.e. when Parliament returns in October.

There are very good reasons for this:

1) The fact that the the prorogation cuts short the 14 day period for forming an alternative government. If they fail in those 5 days then Johnson chooses the election date (likely post-Brexit, so not worth the risk)

2) Conservative rebels are understandably more open to defying the party whip than they are voting down their own government - so legislation is easier to pass (even with the latest threats of deselection)

3) There is still time for a VONC in October if needed - and it will be clear that there's no alternative to stop no deal by that point and so a caretaker government (Corbyn or otherwise) is more likely to be agreed

I agree that the politics of this generally works in Johnson's favour in terms of coalescing the Brexit vote to his party, and he'll spin any extension as being forced on him by a "Remoaner Parliament". So he may well lose the battle but win the war. But if the Conservatives win a majority on a no deal manifesto, then so be it - they will also own the consequences.
    and while we may not like it at least No Deal will have been formally voted for...
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Hartlepool IS reinventing itself. It just takes a long time and a lot of people suffer.

The regeneration around the marina is lovely.

Improved public spaces are great, but they don't often herald a big change in economic fortunes.
    Quite right.
    At worst it’s displacement activity.

But local authorities don’t have the power to do much. The very least they should do is to make sure their public spaces are attractive, welcoming guests and safe. Most local authorities even fail at that.
    Councils seem to do a lot of nice and expensive hard landscaping against a background of empty shops. Putting the cart before the horse it seems to me. Prosperous towns result in public improvements. The opposite is not the case. But I suppose when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    Almost all of the regeneration is privately funded. Its not paid for by councils.

For example, Tesco pretty much paid for the redevelopment of the entirety of Gateshead Town Centre.
    Well that's great. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying people shouldn't have nice public areas. I merely say two things.

Our towns and specifically our high streets need a big rethink. Rents must somehow come down, business models must change, fashionable ideas about cars and parking should be jettisoned.

Secondly that large scale regeneration projects should, if they can, be sufficiently remarkable/unusual that they themselves can disrupt existing patterns of visitor behaviour and spend.
    Conversion of town centres for residential use.
    Agreed. I have a lot to say on this.

They recently started building a rather lovely new residential skyscraper in Newcastle City Centre with no car parking provision! It’s insane.

We need medium density with proper underground car parking otherwise it’s pointless. They’ve known this in Europe for 100 years.
    Sounds like an attempt to try to force people to use public transport.
    Of course. But most of the high paying jobs (and this is high end residential) in Newcastle are not in the city centre or accessible easily by public transport. They are in out of town business parks.
    And Cobalt is a right faff to get to even with a car let alone without one.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,121

Freggles said:

That's not saying much as it is ranked as one of the worst uni's in the country, albeit still higher than Sunderland.

It’s good enough for the huge, american conglomerate that I work for to use it for both engineering and business studies/management degrees. It also has a reasonably big International Student population.
    They should ask for their money back on the business studies at least...ranked 83 out of 122.
    It's good at a few niche subjects like computer aided animation and more practical things like social work iirc
    This is my general issue with the way university expansion has gone. We have created 130+ universities that in order to become unis (rather than polys / HE facilities) have to had to add a wider range of subjects. The result a dilution at massive cost, and lots and lots of crap degrees.

Very very few old polys have become excellent all round unis.
    I’m about to go to a former poly after doing my original degree at a redbrick so I will let you know what I think of the differences.

(Newcastle University and Northumbria University)
  • Options
    edited September 2019

The affluent areas get the affluent immigrants and the deprived areas get the deprived immigrants.

The group which loses out most is the UK's working poor and the group which gains most is the UK's non-working rich.

There's an element of truth in your first statement for sure. A lot of the difference in perspective on immigration comes from different first hand experience. So in my case, when I read people saying immigrants are terrible, lazy, unproductive etc it is just laughable and also insulting because my own experience has been 100% the opposite and you are talking about my friends and family.
    But that is why to be objective you need to look at the data and serious empirical analysis, and the message from that is unambiguously that immigration from the EU has been good for the UK. There is almost no evidence of a negative effect on wages for instance.
    If you don't look at the data, we are just swapping anecdotes and a load of small sample observations conditioned by prejudice and preconceptions. I had a great Polish builder vs you saw a Slovakian Roma begging in Rotherham town centre. We could do that all day without learning anything.
    There is evidence of immigration impacting low wages - I'll have to dig out the survey.

The problem is that, like a lot of other things, the immigration factor is hidden by other factors such as minimum wage hikes which has resulted in pushing more and more jobs into the minimum wage band.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,382
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

TGOHF said:
    So bloody obvious, I’ve been saying this ever since Boris Johnson became Prime Minister.
    But how do they force it? Boris Just has to sit on his hands and wait until they VONC him. Then the date is in his gift. He’s never going to agree an extension.
    Control of the Order Paper? They have time, even if the EU doesn't unilaterally extend.
    They pass a motion asking the govt to extend. The govt refuses. Their only remaining option is to VONC the government. Unless they have a PM who can command the house GE Oct 31.
    The Government refuses to act on a motion passed by the House? Wow!

Is this how A Very British Coup begins?
    The House refuses to act on a referendum passed by the voters.

Boris has the moral authority.
    Boris doesn't have the moral authority for No Deal as all Leave campaigning groups ruled out No Deal...
    Corbyn doesn't have the moral authority for further extension which voters opposed 47% to 41% with Survation yesterday.

52% of voters back the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop with a technical alternative as Boris wants in the same poll
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,928

eek said:

TGOHF said:
    So bloody obvious, I’ve been saying this ever since Boris Johnson became Prime Minister.
    But how do they force it? Boris Just has to sit on his hands and wait until they VONC him. Then the date is in his gift. He’s never going to agree an extension.
    Control of the Order Paper? They have time, even if the EU doesn't unilaterally extend.
    They pass a motion asking the govt to extend. The govt refuses. Their only remaining option is to VONC the government. Unless they have a PM who can command the house GE Oct 31.

Boris doesn't have the moral authority for No Deal as all Leave campaigning groups ruled out No Deal...
    He will, when it comes down to "us" or "them"....
    I thought Johnson was aiming to unify the country, or was that just another of his endless lies? You don't unify the country by opting for a type of Brexit that the leave campaigns themselves ruled out. Any short term political gain will be a pyrrhic victory.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,351
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

Hartlepool IS reinventing itself. It just takes a long time and a lot of people suffer.

Improved public spaces are great, but they don't often herald a big change in economic fortunes.
    Quite right.

But local authorities don’t have the power to do much. The very least they should do is to make sure their public spaces are attractive, welcoming guests and safe. Most local authorities even fail at that.
    Councils seem to do a lot of nice and expensive hard landscaping against a background of empty shops. Putting the cart before the horse it seems to me. Prosperous towns result in public improvements. The opposite is not the case. But I suppose when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    Almost all of the regeneration is privately funded. Its not paid for by councils.

For example, Tesco pretty much paid for the redevelopment of the entirety of Gateshead Town Centre.
    Well that's great. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying people shouldn't have nice public areas. I merely say two things.

Our towns and specifically our high streets need a big rethink. Rents must somehow come down, business models must change, fashionable ideas about cars and parking should be jettisoned.

Secondly that large scale regeneration projects should, if they can, be sufficiently remarkable/unusual that they themselves can disrupt existing patterns of visitor behaviour and spend.
    Conversion of town centres for residential use.
    Agreed. I have a lot to say on this.

They recently started building a rather lovely new residential skyscraper in Newcastle City Centre with no car parking provision! It’s insane.

We need medium density with proper underground car parking otherwise it’s pointless. They’ve known this in Europe for 100 years.
    Sounds like an attempt to try to force people to use public transport.
    I don’t see the problem there. Anyone buying a flat here will know upfront that there is no parking. And given it is in a major city centre, public transport is a viable option.

Car parks are an incredibly inefficient use of valuable space, especially in city centres - it’s absolutely right to discourage them - not to mention all the pollution and traffic cars cause.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Very very few old polys have become excellent all round unis.
    I’m about to go to a former poly after doing my original degree at a redbrick so I will let you know what I think of the differences.

(Newcastle University and Northumbria University)
    Oh the City University of Newcastle upon Tyne (as it was almost called).
  • Options
    geoffw said:

On a GONU how could it be supported by the public if it consists only of remainers

It's not a GONU
    It's a GONAD (Government Of NAtional Disunity).
    Bollocks to that!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

Corbyn doesn't have the moral authority for further extension which voters opposed 47% to 41% with Survation yesterday.

52% of voters back the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop with a technical alternative as Boris wants in the same poll
    But the withdrawal agreement without the backstop isn't an option - it's just a unicorn in the same way my children used to want ice cream every meal.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

Opinion polls don’t confer moral authority on anybody they are to help people bet more effectively or to provide debating topics on political discussion forums.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Ratters said:

eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Johnson should go for the early election option in my opinion. It'll make the other parties look less keen on democracy than they claim if they refuse it.

I think it is nailed on. He has no majority and it is clear that parliament are going to try and find a way to block everything, from no-deal to legislation required to move forward.

I think the selling point is clear. Unlike the narrative over May's early GE, which was I want a big majority and I am not willing to really campaign (plus absolute stinker policies).

Team Boris pitch will be Brexit will never happen unless, which the aim of capturing the pro-Brexit supporters with assumption anti-Brexit will split among all the other parties.

But an election isn't in Boris's control - he needs to get Parliament to agree to one and their ideal conditions for an election are the exact opposite of his.

So he sits tight until they VONC him. How long do you think he’d last if he agreed to an extension beyond Oct 31?
    What does how long would Boris last have to do with the opposition voting for a general election?

Heck Boris going and JRM or another nutjob becoming Tory leader would do the opposition wonders...
    The house passes a motion on extending. Boris refuses to implement it. What’s the house going to do?
    It won't be a motion extending. It will be an Act of Parliament.

If worded tightly enough, it means Johnson would have to break the law in order to avoid an extension. I understand there are usually consequences for breaking the law.
    The immediate option open to the house is to VONC. Meanwhile Boris will be all over the TV saying “look how they’re trying to sabotage getting a deal” and “ Ill ask for an extension if they drop the backstop”.
    So if that happened and BJ refused to ask for an extension could he be arrested?
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

But the withdrawal agreement without the backstop isn't an option - it's just a unicorn
    It’s the only one the House has voted FOR. What’s the point of an extension if the only thing they’ll agree isn’t on the table?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of lads.

#ToryCivilWar

https://twitter.com/RobertTyreBute/status/1168102419290578945?s=20

Not at all, Thompson just making the sensible point the main 3 separate pro Union parties should fight general elections not 1single pro Union one, just as the main pro Remain and anti hard Brexit parties will fight the next general election separately not a 1 pro Remain party
    'Thompson'
    'sensible point'

That BJ koolaid is powerful stuff.

Regardless of Thompson's point, the fact is that other elected members of his party are making diametrically opposed points involving dissolution of his sub branch of said party.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,217
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

Opinion polls don’t confer moral authority on anybody they are to help people bet more effectively or to provide debating topics on political discussion forums.
    Moral support would have expressed it better.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Ratters said:

eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

If worded tightly enough, it means Johnson would have to break the law in order to avoid an extension. I understand there are usually consequences for breaking the law.
    So if that happened and BJ refused to ask for an extension could he be arrested?
    Yes, and also held in contempt of Parliament which would mean he could be banned from the Commons
  • Options

#ToryCivilWar

It's called internal debate, I realise that's not a familiar concept in SNP circles.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

"It's a coastal town they forgot to close down," as Morrissey said/sang.
    Hartlepool is screwed, under pretty much any economic dispensation outside full-bodied Communism, and probably even then.

It has no reason to exist anymore; and like many towns in the UK it is simply propped up via social spending to support a lumpen proletariat.

As unlikely as it sounds, It should concentrate on being a commuter resort for Newcastle, which is where real productivity may feasibly be developed.

Brexit fucks even that idea, given the outsized hit expected to the North East economy.
    How many 'commuter resorts' do you think Newcastle needs ?

Not that Newcastle itself lacks for run down shithole estates.
    Sure.
    It’s not ideal.
    The North East is the poorest region in England, I think.

But Newcastle (and Durham) are the only two feasible hubs for real productive growth.
    Real productive growth in what ?

Red brick universities and posho restaurants perhaps ?

We need an economy which allows people to contribute and create wealth throughout the socioeconomic scale.
    Do you know anything about the North East? Newcastle and Durham are far from just red brick universities and posho restaurants. In fact Newcastle has only 1 Michelin Star restaurant.

Greater Newcastle and Greater Durham have a huge chunk of all the area's manufacturing, R&D, warehousing and shopping infrastructure as well as all of the area's art, culture and music scene.
    And Durham is a big tourism centre as well.

But how much can any of that be expanded and is it even a good idea to concentrate the regions economic activity even more, to turn all the other places into satellite towns and have even more people commute ?
    Short of a gold rush, TINA for the Middlesbroughs.
    But we’re not actually even doing that. We’re just leaving it to rot.
    Teesside needs to be selected to be the country's first decarbonised industrial cluster. Carbon capture and storage, low carbon hydrogen, decarbonised industrial production, CO2 reuse. Billions of investment.

The region has a Tory mayor, which must count for something.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    timmo said:

Ratters said:

eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Why bother - he can’t be compelled to accept any extension offer from the EU.

Remainers simply wasting time.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

He voted against Brexit! Keep up!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    It does look like the "rebels" will try and introduce legislation under SO24.

Assuming the speaker allows it, instead of trying to make BoZo extend, why not repeal the FTPA?

Then VoNC him without all the 14 day, BoZo picks the date nonsense...
  • Options
    Mr. T, Pyrrhus was far more capable than the PM.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

timmo said:

Ratters said:

eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, and also held in contempt of Parliament which would mean he could be banned from the Commons
    Then a recall petition such fun
  • Options

#ToryCivilWar

It's called internal debate, I realise that's not a familiar concept in SNP circles.
    Internal debate through the medium of newspaper articles & twitter? A novel interpretation.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PM hosting whips at Chequers tonight

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

#ToryCivilWar

Internal debate through the medium of newspaper articles & twitter? A novel interpretation.
    Internal debate in the SNP is when Pete knocks on the bedroom wall and asks Nicola and her friend to keep the noise down.
  • Options

Quite right.

And we lost an iconic landmark. Fascists.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,480

#ToryCivilWar

Do as I say or you’re deselected... some debate.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,219
    OllyT said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

He will, when it comes down to "us" or "them"....
    I thought Johnson was aiming to unify the country, or was that just another of his endless lies? You don't unify the country by opting for a type of Brexit that the leave campaigns themselves ruled out. Any short term political gain will be a pyrrhic victory.
    He's going to unify the country against those MPs voting to block Brexit.

Just watch.....
  • Options
    F1: Sainz and Giovinazzi have more changes and ensuing penalties and Kubica's starting from the pit lane.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,078
    Scott_P said:

Assuming the speaker allows it, instead of trying to make BoZo extend, why not repeal the FTPA?

Why not give someone other than the PM (e.g. the Speaker) the right to negotiate the extension? (Bercow would love that) :wink:
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,078
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

They do given the only reason diehard Remainers refuse to respect the democratic Leave vote is apparently polling evidence there is no longer a mandate to deliver Brexit
  • Options

How many 'commuter resorts' do you think Newcastle needs ?

Not that Newcastle itself lacks for run down shithole estates.

Sure.
    It’s not ideal.
    The North East is the poorest region in England, I think.

But Newcastle (and Durham) are the only two feasible hubs for real productive growth.
    Real productive growth in what ?

Red brick universities and posho restaurants perhaps ?

We need an economy which allows people to contribute and create wealth throughout the socioeconomic scale.
    Do you know anything about the North East? Newcastle and Durham are far from just red brick universities and posho restaurants. In fact Newcastle has only 1 Michelin Star restaurant.

Greater Newcastle and Greater Durham have a huge chunk of all the area's manufacturing, R&D, warehousing and shopping infrastructure as well as all of the area's art, culture and music scene.
    And Durham is a big tourism centre as well.

But how much can any of that be expanded and is it even a good idea to concentrate the regions economic activity even more, to turn all the other places into satellite towns and have even more people commute ?
    Short of a gold rush, TINA for the Middlesbroughs.
    But we’re not actually even doing that. We’re just leaving it to rot.
    Well I can't talk about Teeside beyond generalities but if you're looking to concentrate economic activity in the Newcastle and Durham areas then where are the commuters going to prefer to live ?

In a deprived part of Middlesbrough or in a nice new housing development along the A1 ?

And its no use telling the people who do live in the deprived parts of Middlesbrough to commute to Newcastle or Durham because they don't have the skillset to get the good jobs while the lower paid jobs don't pay enough to make the commute worthwhile.
    You would go down the A19 to get to Teesside!
    That's why people prefer to live along the A1 corridor!
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

But the withdrawal agreement without the backstop isn't an option - it's just a unicorn in the same way my children used to want ice cream every meal.
    It is and Macron and Merkel have not ruled it out.

Plus given only 40% back Revoke and Remain in the latest Survation it is the only Brexit solution with majority support from both the voters and as the Brady amendment showed the Commons
  • Options

Just watch.....

We are watching.

The Unified country was all over TV yesterday protesting against BoZo...
  • Options

Right... so I only have to abide by the law if I like the legislation?

It's called "Taking Back Control"...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

timmo said:

Ratters said:

eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

Why bother - he can’t be compelled to accept any extension offer from the EU.

Remainers simply wasting time.
    I'm sure there's some Remainers would be happy to require Govt. to accept whatever terms the EU comes back with. But not enough to get that law passed.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Just watch.....

We are watching.

The Unified country was all over TV yesterday protesting against BoZo...
    Oh yeah, such numbers of them....

....versus 17.4m.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A majority of voters voted for Brexit, a majority have not voted for Corbyn
  • Options
    British lawyer for Albanian gangsters is shot three times in the head in execution-style killing after losing a string of high-profile mob cases

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7415279/British-lawyer-Albanian-gangsters-shot-three-times-head-losing-string-cases.html
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2019

TGOHF said:

He voted against Brexit! Keep up!
    No he didn't, he voted to invoke Article 50 and he voted against extending Article 50. Those are the votes on Brexit we've had that passed to get us where we are so far.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They do given the only reason diehard Remainers

But you voted REMAIN!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    HYUFD voted for REMAIN!
  • Options
    Hopes of a ‘Scottish DUP’ at Westminster faded as Ruth Davidson stayed away from formal meetings

Efforts to create a distinct Scottish group were also undermined by government whips, who feared the MPs’ intentions. A request for the 12 backbench Scottish Tories to have adjacent offices was turned down, and they were assigned to separate parts of the parliamentary estate. “I thought it was silly,” a senior Scottish Tory figure at Westminster says, but a Downing Street source admitted there was “concern” about how the group would behave.

Promotions to jobs as parliamentary aides were also used as a means to undermine Scottish Tory unity, members of the group claim. “The whips were very clever in picking off those who were vulnerable, to win their loyalty,” one MP says. “You can see by who it was that got promoted.”

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/hopes-of-a-scottish-dup-at-westminster-faded-as-ruth-davidson-stayed-away-from-formal-meetings-1-4995061
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    https://mobile.twitter.com/OptoSean/status/1167926313484607488

Why do remainers always get away with acting like this?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

#ToryCivilWar

Internal debate in the SNP is when Pete knocks on the bedroom wall and asks Nicola and her friend to keep the noise down.
    I see Woke Are The People didn't last long.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,894
    edited September 2019

Foxy said:

eek said:

When I was walking around Redcar last Friday night I really was thinking on the 45 minute drive home what on earth you could do there.

I have a slight personal obsession with economic geography.

There seems almost a conspiracy to keep
    Neither left nor right have a fucking clue what to do about the DOZENS of Hartlepools around the country.

It’s a miserable waste of human capital, ie people’s LIVES.
    Historically, a lot of these post industrial towns would have become ghost towns, unless they reinvented themselves with new industries.

The combination of low value jobs, welfare dependency, obesity, smoking and drugs is why Hartlepool and similar towns have reducing prospects and life expectancy.
    And being a high paying country with a non-contributory welfare system means we are importing even more such people.
    I don't think either part of that is correct. There are many other countries in Europe with a far shorter tail of the unproductive and uneducated. The reasons why we are different are I suspect complex and tied into our history of industrialisation and deindustrialization, both of which were particularly brutal. I imagine with some effort we could do something about it.

Also, I believe that the data tell us we are disproportionately importing the young, educated and productive from Europe. The kind of people who would be sitting on their arse in their equivalent of Hartlepool smoking tabs are probably still sitting on their arse in their equivalent of Hartlepool smoking tabs.
    We are (were) incredibly lucky to import the most educated and hardest working Europeans and, indeed, what a contrast to our own underclass where, as you note, Britain as a very long tail.

However I guess if you are a member of said underclass, you don’t see that, you see the gypsies setting up encampment in the local park, and the troubling preponderance of underage sex rings down the local taxi rank.

Since we are talking about the NE:

See the little faggot with the earring and the make up
    Yeah buddy that's his own hair
    That little faggot got his own jet airplane
    That little faggot he's a millionaire
    We got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries
    We got to move these refrigerators, we gotta move these color TV's
  • Options

Mr. T, Pyrrhus was far more capable than the PM.

Mr Dancer, forgot to mention: nice thread yesterday!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Scott_P said:

Why would the Opposition and Tory rebels be inclined to support that?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,004
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

How many backed No Deal
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But you voted REMAIN!
    So what, on that basis if a party won an election and I voted against that party I would refuse to recognise that election result and that Government, exactly as diehard Remainers refuse to recognise the Leave vote of 2016
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272

eek said:

I don't think either part of that is correct. There are many other countries in Europe with a far shorter tail of the unproductive and uneducated. The reasons why we are different are I suspect complex and tied into our history of industrialisation and deindustrialization, both of which were particularly brutal. I imagine with some effort we could do something about it.

Also, I believe that the data tell us we are disproportionately importing the young, educated and productive from Europe. The kind of people who would be sitting on their arse in their equivalent of Hartlepool smoking tabs are probably still sitting on their arse in their equivalent of Hartlepool smoking tabs.

Nope, in a lot of cases especially up North productive youngsters came along and then discovered how to play our welfare system. And being organised a lot have discovered how to play our welfare system better than the locals can.
    This is utter bollocks. Have you any expereince of the welfare system in action?

No 'productive youngster' would choose that route if they had a genuine alternative of productive employment - living on welfare is pretty crap.
    On here they think that people on benefits are living in a land of milk and honey , half the time abroad and other half in their mansions, all funded by being lazy tossers.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

How many backed No Deal
    That did not have a majority either but then further extension and revoke also failed to get a majority, as I said the only majority was for the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop, exactly as Boris is aiming for
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    edited September 2019

Part of the problem was working class culture, which fetishised collectivism and strength, and was often anti education.*

That culture, particularly the latter, still persists in our schools.

It's inevitably difficult for people to keep up in a knowledge economy if they don't want to learn.

*- I am aware of the history of working class self-improvement through the Trades Union movement, libraries, the origin of the Technical Institutes etc, but that seems to have withered, or the people who "self-improved" now are middle class.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But you voted REMAIN!
    So what, on that basis if a party won an election and I voted against that party I would refuse to recognise that election result and that Government, exactly as diehard Remainers refuse to recognise the Leave vote of 2016
    But you voted REMAIN, making you a Diehard Remainer!
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    RE: The thread header, is there a strong sense anyone serious will run against Trump for the nomination? Feels late to me and I’ve seen nothing. But I’m not American and it’s the sort of thing that wouldn’t be obvious here.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Apart from this literally single piece of bullshit you plucked from Twitter, Remainers don’t in general act like this and don’t get away with it.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Nope, in a lot of cases especially up North productive youngsters came along and then discovered how to play our welfare system. And being organised a lot have discovered how to play our welfare system better than the locals can.
    This is utter bollocks. Have you any expereince of the welfare system in action?

No 'productive youngster' would choose that route if they had a genuine alternative of productive employment - living on welfare is pretty crap.
    On here they think that people on benefits are living in a land of milk and honey , half the time abroad and other half in their mansions, all funded by being lazy tossers.
    No I mean comment on what I see - East Europeans with children joining the 16 hour a week brigade. It's not all of them but for those with lower paying skillsets it's not much different from working 35+ hours a week.
  • Options

Hopes of a ‘Scottish DUP’ at Westminster faded as Ruth Davidson stayed away from formal meetings

Efforts to create a distinct Scottish group were also undermined by government whips, who feared the MPs’ intentions. A request for the 12 backbench Scottish Tories to have adjacent offices was turned down, and they were assigned to separate parts of the parliamentary estate. “I thought it was silly,” a senior Scottish Tory figure at Westminster says, but a Downing Street source admitted there was “concern” about how the group would behave.

Promotions to jobs as parliamentary aides were also used as a means to undermine Scottish Tory unity, members of the group claim. “The whips were very clever in picking off those who were vulnerable, to win their loyalty,” one MP says. “You can see by who it was that got promoted.”

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/hopes-of-a-scottish-dup-at-westminster-faded-as-ruth-davidson-stayed-away-from-formal-meetings-1-4995061

A separation of the Tory party in Scotland is probably a necessary condition now of maintaining the Union.

Possibly Labour too.
  • Options

nunuone said:

Apart from this literally single piece of bullshit you plucked from Twitter, Remainers don’t in general act like this and don’t get away with it.
    Twitter is also full of Brexit frothers. Its a myth to suggest its just a left wing echo chamber.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,894
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

No I mean comment on what I see - East Europeans with children joining the 16 hour a week brigade.
    I agree with @OnlyLivingBoy that there is no point in simply trading anecdote.

The data says immigration has been overwhelmingly positive.

The problem, however, is that our in-work credits system incentivises what you are talking about and to most fair-minded people, it shouldn’t be allowed.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272

HYUFD said:

#ToryCivilWar

Not at all, Thompson just making the sensible point the main 3 separate pro Union parties should fight general elections not 1single pro Union one, just as the main pro Remain and anti hard Brexit parties will fight the next general election separately not a 1 pro Remain party
    'Thompson'
    'sensible point'

That BJ koolaid is powerful stuff.

Regardless of Thompson's point, the fact is that other elected members of his party are making diametrically opposed points involving dissolution of his sub branch of said party.

Also , Mr Touchy Feely is not exactly well endowed in the brain department is he. He would be in line to win " Best Dud of the Invisible 13 " title.
  • Options

What was silly was Downing Street having the slightest concern about any problems from the tame twelve.

Party (Con) & country (UK) over country (Scotland) every single fcuking time.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Historically, a lot of these post industrial towns would have become ghost towns, unless they reinvented themselves with new industries.

The combination of low value jobs, welfare dependency, obesity, smoking and drugs is why Hartlepool and similar towns have reducing prospects and life expectancy.

And being a high paying country with a non-contributory welfare system means we are importing even more such people.

We are (were) incredibly lucky to import the most educated and hardest working Europeans and, indeed, what a contrast to our own underclass where, as you note, Britain as a very long tail.

However I guess if you are a member of said underclass, you don’t see that, you see the gypsies setting up encampment in the local park, and the troubling preponderance of underage sex rings down the local taxi rank.

So are you saying the working poor can be the next Mark Knopfler if they tried a bit harder ?

I suspect they've already realised that music or football might be a way of making millions.

But in reality its a lot less likely than them getting a nice upper-middle class career.
  • Options
    Thanks, Dr. Prasannan :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,004
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

How many backed No Deal
    That did not have a majority either but then further extension and revoke also failed to get a majority, as I said the only majority was for the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop, exactly as Boris is aiming for
    The Survation says 18% want No Deal

Wake up HYUFD
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

TGOHF said:

How many backed No Deal
    The Survation says 18% want No Deal

Wake up HYUFD
    You can’t reason with extremists @bigjohnowls. You should know.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So are you saying the working poor can be the next Mark Knopfler if they tried a bit harder ?

I suspect they've already realised that music or football might be a way of making millions.

But in reality its a lot less likely than them getting a nice upper-middle class career.
    Sting sang the backing vocals (eg. "I want my MTV!"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0
  • Options

timmo said:

Ratters said:

eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

snip..

on what basis could he be arrested? Breaking a law is not automatically a criminal offence, thank goodness, and the sanction for breaking are mentioned in it so what sanctions will the House be able to agree on? I think it would be outrageous but like much in the debate in the UK it is all getting a bit fraught and out of proportion.

Even if a new law is passed, requiring Johnson to seek an extension and even if it specified the wording of the request and also mandated accepting any terms for an extension he could get round it. Such a law would itself of course be an outrage and constitution breaching but that ship sailed long ago. Opponents of the government need to remove it if they can - it is their only play.
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

No I mean comment on what I see - East Europeans with children joining the 16 hour a week brigade.

The problem, however, is that our in-work credits system incentivises what you are talking about and to most fair-minded people, it shouldn’t be allowed.
    Anecdotes show snap-shots of reality. It's not that I don't think immigration isn't a positive - in a lot of cases it really is but there are exceptions to that.
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Do you have that data ?

The most recent ONS data gives unemployment at 3.7% UK nationals, 3.5% EU nationals and 7.0% non-EU nationals.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Quite right.

I think you are totally wrong there. I have business in Lancaster from time to time and always stay in a nice bnb in Morecombe. That's a town that has seen better days, but it remains attractive because public money has been spent on the seafront. So visitors, even fleeting ones like me, still turn up and spend money. If it went to wrack and ruin I'd find somewhere else to spend my travelling expenses.
    Morecambe has undergone a huge redevelopment over recent years and on Sunny week-ends the place is packed out.
    The sea wall has been rebuilt,Midland Hotel re-opened, tatty funfair gone, Eric statue attracts thousands etc.
    OK the West end is grim, but the Bare end and Happy mount park are very good, especially as Blobby land was kicked out of the park.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Quite right.

I think you are totally wrong there. I have business in Lancaster from time to time and always stay in a nice bnb in Morecombe. That's a town that has seen better days, but it remains attractive because public money has been spent on the seafront. So visitors, even fleeting ones like me, still turn up and spend money. If it went to wrack and ruin I'd find somewhere else to spend my travelling expenses.
    Morecambe has undergone a huge redevelopment over recent years and on Sunny week-ends the place is packed out.
    The sea wall has been rebuilt,Midland Hotel re-opened, tatty funfair gone, Eric statue attracts thousands etc.
    OK the West end is grim, but the Bare end and Happy mount park are very good, especially as Blobby land was kicked out of the park.
    I did the train to Heysham :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It’s got a fantastic collection of public art. They should make more of it
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, I was riffing off your reference to the “non-working rich” by quoting Mark Knopfler (adopting a working class voice) on “Money for Nothing”.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

jayfdee said:

Quite right.

I did the train to Heysham :)
    Were you the only person on board.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

I see the coup is progressing unchecked.

SCOTTISH civil servants are furious after Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay ruled they would no longer go to meetings in Brussels from next week to discuss fishing, agriculture and other devolved issues, The National has learnt.

Barclay made the decision without consulting or informing the Scottish Government, leaving its officials learning of the development through press reports, according to Edinburgh insiders.

Its shitty behaviour not a coup, it just makes it easy for BoJo and co to dismiss accusations by calling it so. Those obsessed with calling it a coup are helping Johnson get off the hook. Congratulations for helping him.
    They have got rid of majority of devolution , it is whatever you want to term it , for me it is dictatorship/coup/whatever.
    Given that it is U.K. foreign policy that we are leaving the EU in 2 months wouldn’t the flights just be a waste of public money?
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Do you have that data ?

The most recent ONS data gives unemployment at 3.7% UK nationals, 3.5% EU nationals and 7.0% non-EU nationals.
    I was talking about EU migration.

Those non-EU rates surprise me, but one imagines if you drill into the data the issue is overwhelmingly immigrants from poorer Muslim communities, and Somalis.

Other groups, like West Africans, will probably overperform.
  • Options

No, I was riffing off your reference to the “non-working rich” by quoting Mark Knopfler (adopting a working class voice) on “Money for Nothing”.
    I like the riffing phrase to go with a music reference.

Though I'd say that those who make it big in music or sport do work damn hard.

They also have talent and luck.
  • Options

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:
    It is not in his gift if the Commons is willing to install an alternative PM.
    That’s the only path open to them. Jeremy to lay the motion Tuesday?
    Wouldn’t that mess up the Remainers plans though...

1. Jezza doing something which take priority over their other plans
    2. Unlikely (?) to be successful - in which case time is wasted and Boris strengthened
    3. If successful need to find a new PM
    4. Corbyn goes first (?) unlikely to be successful - if not he has wasted time
    5. If no alternative found then an election where Boris sets the date (can an election be called while Parliament is prorogued it does it need to wait until it returns to move a writ or whatever?)
  • Options
    Does anyone else, when they hear "the Rebel MPs", think of this?
    https://youtu.be/SE0hwfCu-m4
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Do you have that data ?

Those non-EU rates surprise me, but one imagines if you drill into the data the issue is overwhelmingly immigrants from poorer Muslim communities, and Somalis.

We voted leave because otherwise Turkish (Muslims) were coming.
  • Options
    Charles said:

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:
    It is not in his gift if the Commons is willing to install an alternative PM.
    That’s the only path open to them. Jeremy to lay the motion Tuesday?
    Wouldn’t that mess up the Remainers plans though...

1. Jezza doing something which take priority over their other plans
    2. Unlikely (?) to be successful - in which case time is wasted and Boris strengthened
    3. If successful need to find a new PM
    4. Corbyn goes first (?) unlikely to be successful - if not he has wasted time
    5. If no alternative found then an election where Boris sets the date (can an election be called while Parliament is prorogued it does it need to wait until it returns to move a writ or whatever?)
    But if the EU don't enforce 31 October date, then we remain indefinitely.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    eek said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Do you have that data ?

You claim to know exactly what drove each leave voters decision?

Some arrogance or delusion on display here

• Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

Have we ever had a thread header from someone actually in the import/export business across a number of sectors to tell us what is potentially going to happen. Of course they may be too busy to write it at the moment.

Hamiltonace said he was in medical sector and reckoned it was going to be problematic for his business
    a lot of what @hamiltonace published was rubbish though, especially around regulations.

He's in a very specific segment of medical consumables, IIRC
  • Options

I'm having a Twitter debate with OGH. Why can't we just repeal the FTPA? Surely it's in the interest of both sides
  • Options
    Floater said:

eek said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Do you have that data ?

You claim to know exactly what drove each leave voters decision?

Some arrogance or delusion on display here

No just mentioning a poster that was probably a factor...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Are the SNP and PC in favour of an election as soon as possible?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

The Americans have the right idea - just leave it to become a ghost town.
    There speaks a real Tory
    Towns and cities develop where they do because of reasons.

If that reason is no longer relevant (e.g. a closed coal mine) then the community needs to find a new sense of purpose. That could be new industries, or as a commuter town or something else. But if it doesn't have a purpose when why insist that it continues to exist?

[yes, this is the same philosophical argument that makes sense for the dissolution of the Union if one of the consistent parts decides that it no longer has merit]
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    1.8% voted for no deal. 40% voted for Corbyns Labour.

Why do you keep conflating Brexit with no deal? The vast majority of the country can accept Brexit but not no deal. The government is choosing not to deliver it.
This discussion has been closed.