Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit, the proroguing of parliament and the legal battle ahea

Comments

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    FWIW.. I don't know if proroguing of Parliament in this way is legal or not. I know I don't trust Boris period.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

"Ooh, look at me! I posted this on the last thread, and I'm so pleased with myself I had to post it on twatter!"
    Brexit has sent TSE utterly insane. It is quite amusing really to see someone who used to be regarded as an informed pundit being reduced to such drivel.
    Uber Remainers are a bit mental I think. Even more mental than Francois and co.

I don't know a single real person who actually gives a fuck about Brexit.
    To be fair I know a lot of them. All bright people. My circle of friends and colleagues is pretty evenly split between Leave and Remain although my closest friends and family are all Leavers.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

What I don't understand in all of this us why Boris has kicked this hornets nest for the sake of 4 extra days without Parliament sitting.

He wants the hornets buzzing. The aim is to hustle his opponents into a vote of no confidence.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

dixiedean said:

Key question: if she is going to resign, what is Ruth Davidson going to say? Is she going to be spending more time with her family? Or is she going to be firing an exocet at Boris Johnson?

No point in resigning now without an Excocet. If this had been planned for a while the story would not be breaking today - it would have come out before this. Hard right, populist, English nationalism claims another Tory unionist victim.

Davidson, Major, Hammond and Heseltine just today. The Tory Party is not the same one it used to be.
    Field, Campbell, Austin, neither is Labour.

Its all change and find some values.
    BoZo doesn't have values, just ego.
    oh a total shit no doubt

but so was Blair and he won three elections

niceness is a guarnatee of zilch
    Blair was irritating to me, and I thoroughly detested him at the time, but I could see he had talent. I could yet be wrong about BoZo, but I see zero leadership or managerial capability. He is marginally less repulsive than Trump, but even Trump claims some business skill. What is BoZo good at? Writing polemic articles on the back of a fag packet? Wow, the depths to which we as a country have plunged.
    Boris is in power on the back of Blair. Blair is just leaving it to others to clear up the mess he made.
    Serious kudos for trying that line on.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

What I don't understand in all of this us why Boris has kicked this hornets nest for the sake of 4 extra days without Parliament sitting.

To provoke the outrage from opponents. Then, he either gets a general election having been no confidenced or he can say that he enjoys the confidence of the house and they should shut the **** up.
  • Options
    Just stop moaning remainers and submit a vonc next week
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Pulpstar said:

The experts have had enough of Boris Johnson:

https://twitter.com/SG_Parliaments/status/1166752778443796480

Jonathan said:

Antony Eden has been enjoying the past three years. He used to be our worst PM. Since 2016 he’s been heading up the charts, he’s not in the worst three.

Four if Corbyn arrives.
    That will be a hard one to beat!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

Key question: if she is going to resign, what is Ruth Davidson going to say? Is she going to be spending more time with her family? Or is she going to be firing an exocet at Boris Johnson?

No point in resigning now without an Excocet. If this had been planned for a while the story would not be breaking today - it would have come out before this. Hard right, populist, English nationalism claims another Tory unionist victim.

Davidson, Major, Hammond and Heseltine just today. The Tory Party is not the same one it used to be.
    Field, Campbell, Austin, neither is Labour.

Its all change and find some values.
    BoZo doesn't have values, just ego.
    oh a total shit no doubt

but so was Blair and he won three elections

niceness is a guarnatee of zilch
    Blair was irritating to me, and I thoroughly detested him at the time, but I could see he had talent. I could yet be wrong about BoZo, but I see zero leadership or managerial capability. He is marginally less repulsive than Trump, but even Trump claims some business skill. What is BoZo good at? Writing polemic articles on the back of a fag packet? Wow, the depths to which we as a country have plunged.
    Boris is in power on the back of Blair. Blair is just leaving it to others to clear up the mess he made.
    Serious kudos for trying that line on.
    I always try to make sure I dont forget you when posting :-)
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    tlg86 said:

To provoke the outrage from opponents. Then, he either gets a general election having been no confidenced or he can say that he enjoys the confidence of the house and they should shut the **** up.
    Precisely. He wants a GE, and he wants to smoke out the die hard remainers so he can stand a slate of brexiteers or referendum honourers and be rid of Hammond, Grieve and co. All of whom know VONC equals end of their political careers
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Time for the Queen and her family to settle down to a quiet life in Hartlepool.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785

If she waits until late tomorrow, or worse still when the polls close in Shetland before making the statement, I will lose the smidgen of respect in her that might have been restored.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

precisely

the cross party coalition havent a clue what to do next if they extend A50. Just more pointless can kicking.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Roger said:

Andrew could go live on Little St James Island
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Boris always wanted to be World King, maybe he has designs on replacing the Queen with himself! :wink: Oliver Cromwell despatched a Monarch and took their place with a different title...
  • Options

Because those who pull his strings wanted him to. My guess is they think it will be better for him to go through a vonc than effectively call a GE as TMay did. Alternatively if there is no vonc they get no-deal Brexit, which they seem to think is a good thing. It is a win-win for the no-deal nihilists
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2019

He wants the hornets buzzing. The aim is to hustle his opponents into a vote of no confidence.
    What his game plan is, ideally:

1. Getting VoNCed.
    2. Parliament still cannot agree a new PM and a GE has to be called.

His belief [ like Trump ] is that the same constituency will back him totally. Was it not said that while Leave won 51:49, they actually one over 400 "seats". However, I doubt if Labour Leave seats will vote in Tory.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

And what should MPs who, like you, support Brexit but not No Deal do?
  • Options
    Interesting Malc comments if Ruth does resign.

For me that is a step too far by Boris and I hope the HOC can succeed in a vonc and install Ken Clarke as interim PM
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

precisely

the cross party coalition havent a clue what to do next if they extend A50. Just more pointless can kicking.
    fixed
  • Options

Install Ken Clarke as interim PM
  • Options

For me that is a step too far by Boris and I hope the HOC can succeed in a vonc and install Ken Clarke as interim PM

It will probably come to an election. Boris needs to be defeated. Who will you vote for?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

precisely

fixed
    Good one.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Precisely. He wants a GE, and he wants to smoke out the die hard remainers so he can stand a slate of brexiteers or referendum honourers and be rid of Hammond, Grieve and co. All of whom know VONC equals end of their political careers
    I am not so sure it ends their career, they could still stand as Parliamentary candidates under a different banner. I remember Martin Bell for instance in 1997, Labour, LDs and Greens could do this again...

Talking about Martin Bell, maybe he should stand against BJ! :smile:
  • Options
    Bolton saved.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

precisely

fixed
    Good one.
    Yes, side-splitting
  • Options

What his game plan is, ideally:

1. Getting VoNCed.
    2. Parliament still cannot agree a new PM and a GE has to be called.

His belief [ like Trump ] is that the same constituency will back him totally. Was it not said that while Leave won 51:49, they actually one over 400 "seats". However, I doubt if Labour Leave seats will vote in Tory.
    The country no longer seems to be split 52:48 though. Right now it looks more like 47:53, and the opposition to the Conservatives is clumpy, making them vulnerable to a pincer movement.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It will probably come to an election. Boris needs to be defeated. Who will you vote for?
    Not labour. I have no idea outside of that - a nightmare descends
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

FWIW.. I don't know if proroguing of Parliament in this way is legal or not. I know I don't trust Boris period.

...and its very worrying as it seems like the Scottish Tories will lose their leader…..
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I will be voting LibDem. The Conservative Party that I was a member and activist for the best part of 20 years is dead. It is now CINO.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Roger said:

So all those folks voting for "Ruth Davidson's Candidate" look a bit silly now.

So do all those Labour supporters who voted 'Leave'. If you tie yourself to the Johnson/Farage/Gove/IDS horse you shouldn't be surprised when you get covered in excrement
    We've got rid of 2 Tory PMs, a whole cabinet worth of ministers and now their leader in Scotland. Plus they are now at each others' throats.

Labour Leave has done well so far.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

"Ooh, look at me! I posted this on the last thread, and I'm so pleased with myself I had to post it on twatter!"
    I don't think anyone posted it on the last thread? I think I posted something similar here way back when but that was before we had the monarchy angle
  • Options
    Is he the Montenegran judge for Eurovision?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I am not so sure it ends their career, they could still stand as Parliamentary candidates under a different banner. I remember Martin Bell for instance in 1997, Labour, LDs and Greens could do this again...

They could but they'd lose. This unite to remain lark is all well and good until you start telling 40 or 50 or 100 constituency parties to stand down and shut up and cease to be a party standing nationwide. Plus the LD plus green vote in 80% of constituencies is bugger all
  • Options
    The anti-prorogation petition is currently running at about 100,000 an hour. That's quite a clip for something essentially futile.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    What brought that on?
  • Options
    Conveniently the camera now appears to be offline
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I will be voting LibDem. The Conservative Party that I was a member and activist for the best part of 20 years is dead. It is now CINO.
    Join the club, much of my family voted Tory for decades. That has now gone! We are voting LD...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The first outing for the Remain cult gear.....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

really you have to wonder at how stupid Cameron and Osborne turned out to be.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Join the club, much of my family voted Tory for decades. That has now gone! We are voting LD...
    One has to wonder whether the long-standing Conservatives in the cabinet are really happy about this. Cummings will not shed a tear.
  • Options

Bolton saved.

Good news.

My Father took me to my first game of football and it was Bolton v Blackpool. It was in the early 1950's and my memory is one of a packed ground, all standing, and it is like a sepia print in my memory.

My Family on my Fathers side go back generations as Bolton folk and my grandfather has a painting hanging in Dean Church where he is burried
  • Options

maybe he thinks he is the Son of God like Brexit supporting David Icke? Perhaps he will suggest Boris is actually a lizard person.
  • Options
    Quite an exciting day and the world of politics hasn't been that boring either. Got to hand it to the Remoaners, for months they have been tearing up Constitutional conventions and parliamentary practice courtesy of their little go-for the Bercow and now that Boris does what many of them has been calling for, for months, they object! Ruth Davidson was always going to have to go, given her frequent, injudicious comments about Boris Johnson. Personally I would like to see Murdo Fraser take over but as I wont have a say in the matter it makes no difference.

Time for Buckingham Conservative Association to select their candidate for the next GE and the Bercow to be consigned to the dustbin he should have been put in years ago. It would be fun on Monday if JRM stands up and makes a motion that the Government has no confidence in the impartiality of the Speaker.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

They could but they'd lose. This unite to remain lark is all well and good until you start telling 40 or 50 or 100 constituency parties to stand down and shut up and cease to be a party standing nationwide. Plus the LD plus green vote in 80% of constituencies is bugger all
    Not so sure about that. I remember 1997, the Tories under Johnson have chosen to go down that path of unpopularity and vitriol from voters . I voted Tory in 1997 but in the 'forthcoming' election I will be baying for political blood and many other people will do likewise. I would not want to be canvassing or delivering leaflets for Tories given the abuse they will encounter.... :wink:
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The LDs need to look at how they can become the broad church that the Conservatives used to be
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Fair comment
    Amusing, but I don't think the outrage that exists or not will be judged by immediate public protest, nor will whether it is a good idea be judged so.
  • Options
    What has FoxNews done to upset their onetime greatest fan?
  • Options

I don't think anyone posted it on the last thread? I think I posted something similar here way back when but that was before we had the monarchy angle
    It was on the last thread......
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Goodness me, what a day. I think a lot of this drama could be avoided if we were simply to change the constitution so that OGH can't have holidays.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Jonathan said:

The LDs need to look at how they can become the broad church that the Conservatives used to be
    Get a lot of members. 2/3 of the current membership joined since 2015 so the beardy lefties are an endangered minority.
  • Options

What does that achieve? Most Tory MPs are loyalists so won't back whatever he might propose, not even a deal they previously voted for since that would show disloyalty to their leader, and most of the rest who would back Clarke would not do so if he tried for any kind of leave option. So he could only back an election or GE, which have not been easy to sell to supporters of Brexit.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

Get a lot of members. 2/3 of the current membership joined since 2015 so the beardy lefties are an endangered minority.
    I could be tempted
  • Options

The anti-prorogation petition is currently running at about 100,000 an hour. That's quite a clip for something essentially futile.

Futile, but I have signed it
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    The Queen’s Uncle Edward would be proud of her!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ah, another person who wants the Queen to exercise power at her own discretion then, being angry when she does not do so.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I'd be okay with that but I'm not sure what the longer-term plan is for deal-supporting Tories. Clarke wouldn't have the confidence of the house to renegotiate Brexit, only to extend. After that it would almost certainly have to be a GE. At that point the only party whose leadership supports a deal (or at least, any deal the EU would offer) is Labour, who you rule out on other grounds.
  • Options

Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

I could be tempted
    I will just be a voter for the time being. I still have friends in the Conservative Party
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Not so sure about that. I remember 1997, the Tories under Johnson have chosen to go down that path of unpopularity and vitriol from voters . I voted Tory in 1997 but in the 'forthcoming' election I will be baying for political blood and many other people will do likewise. I would not want to be canvassing or delivering leaflets for Tories given the abuse they will encounter.... :wink:
    All sides will cop abuse I'm afraid, there is a strong feeling opposite the no prorogue, no no deal, remain camp of disgust at MPs trying to stop Brexit. I wouldn't want to be Labour or LD in the working class areas of Northern and Midlands England trying to drum up support. The Tories under Johnson are adding polling support not losing it atm.
  • Options
    All the indignant remoaner Tories will have to think carefully what they wish for. If we have a GE, which is frankly more important a) remaining part of the EU and risking PM Corbyn taxing them out of existence, seeing the value of their houses collapse and their pension funds evaporate as the stock market collapses or b) it becoming slightly inconvenient to go on their 4 European holidays each year by having to queue for a wee while at the airport passport control as we used to have to do automatically until a few years ago.

Vote LibDem get Corbyn, vote Green get Corbyn, vote SNP get Corbyn. The only way to avoid getting Corbyn is to vote Tory.
  • Options

Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

I could be tempted
    I will just be a voter for the time being. I still have friends in the Conservative Party
    Sorry, I should have said the CINO Party
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Hard to see how they can until after Brexit is resolved, one way or another.
  • Options

I'd be okay with that but I'm not sure what the longer-term plan is for deal-supporting Tories. Clarke wouldn't have the confidence of the house to renegotiate Brexit, only to extend. After that it would almost certainly have to be a GE. At that point the only party whose leadership supports a deal (or at least, any deal the EU would offer) is Labour, who you rule out on other grounds.
    This deal supporting conservative will not take much persuading, especially if Ruth has gone, to switch to Jo Swinson
  • Options

The Queen’s Uncle Edward would be proud of her!

Has the Queen done Nazi salutes again?
  • Options
    623,874 signatures :)
  • Options
    Do erstwhile Labour voters in England and Wales who backed Leave see a PM who is finally going to deliver the Brexit they crave or an entitled Tory toff riding roughshod over democracy to get the Brexit he craves? The next general election probably hinges on the answer to that question.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kle4 said:

A poll with a -16% net approval rating seems to have been the trigger.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Ultimately May's deal, or something very like it, will have to go back to the people.
  • Options

All the indignant remoaner Tories will have to think carefully what they wish for. If we have a GE, which is frankly more important a) remaining part of the EU and risking PM Corbyn taxing them out of existence, seeing the value of their houses collapse and their pension funds evaporate as the stock market collapses or b) it becoming slightly inconvenient to go on their 4 European holidays each year by having to queue for a wee while at the airport passport control as we used to have to do automatically until a few years ago.

Vote LibDem get Corbyn, vote Green get Corbyn, vote SNP get Corbyn. The only way to avoid getting Corbyn is to vote Tory.

That is what they have to decide. Frankly I no longer get why anyone should fear a Corbyn government. Certainly the persistent anti-semtism scandal in Labour is depressing, but in terms of general Corbyn policy? However awful it cannot be more incompetent and destructive.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Another quiet day in British politics then?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

In the good old days, the Conservative Party used to be decent and respectable, even if one did not agree with all its policies.

Now it has fallen into the hands of cheats and scoundrels, whose only objective is to "win", even if they do not abide by the rules.

The problem is that most of us do not accept that they have won.

As my old grandmother used to say, cheating never pays.

I fear there is trouble ahead.
  • Options

Ultimately May's deal, or something very like it, will have to go back to the people.
    What a bloody waste of a year if that's where we end up.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

What would you guess is the number of non-unique or otherwise bogus signings?

I think its obvious that there will be some, but my hunch is perhaps around 5-10%. A fair number of signers probably don't have the first clue either, but that's true for all of politics.

Still, it's an impressive rate.

Totally pointless though as you say.

I've not found anything to suggest how they treat duplicate votes. There ought to be a penalty - perhaps £1 per vote if you've done so.

I think I signed one once.

• Options
    Andrew said:

kle4 said:

A poll with a -16% net approval rating seems to have been the trigger.
    The horror.
  • Options

Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

I could be tempted
    My resignation letter has been written but not sent yet. However, today has unnerved me and especially Ruth who I greatly admired. If my resignation goes in which is looking increasingly likely I will not join another party but would support the Lib Dem's as long as by supporting them I do not put a Corbynista in
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Tabman said:

It is astonishing how much the party has changed. The Party I joined died in the fires of the Coalition - there is a new LD Party now. Those Conservatives who think it's simply Paddy Ashdown's party reborn are as mistaken in that belief as they are in thinking anyone has any interest in Boris's reheated Thatcherism.

• Options

yawn. Some of us "remoaners" (yawn again) have principles. I won't vote for a Marxist, but I won't vote for a bunch of nutters and crypto-fascists either. If Corbyn does get near power it will be because of people who thought throwing away the Conservative Party USPs of sensible economics and sensible government is worth it for an emotional desire to turn Britain back to a 1950s utopia that never existed. On day the grown ups will take the Conservative Party back again. Until then it is vote LD and proud!
  • Options

Is it really plausible that leaving with no-deal could occur during an election campaign? Surely the disruption just before polling day would count against the government?

That all depends on who called for the election.
    If Johnson is VONC'd, but no alternative interim PM can be found, that's not his fault, is it?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Fenster said:

Pity so many of them voted for it then.

What have they moved on to?

Something a bit more stimulating?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Fenster said:

Pity so many of them voted for it then.

What have they moved on to?

Something a bit more stimulating?
    Love Island. It is brainless like Brexit, but the main protagonists have better bodies.
  • Options

Is it really plausible that leaving with no-deal could occur during an election campaign? Surely the disruption just before polling day would count against the government?

If Johnson is VONC'd, but no alternative interim PM can be found, that's not his fault, is it?
    He could choose to schedule the election before 31st Oct
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Drutt said:

Goodness me, what a day. I think a lot of this drama could be avoided if we were simply to change the constitution so that OGH can't have holidays.

Mrs. OGH does not agree.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited August 2019

Bolton saved.

Good news.

My Father took me to my first game of football and it was Bolton v Blackpool. It was in the early 1950's and my memory is one of a packed ground, all standing, and it is like a sepia print in my memory.

My Family on my Fathers side go back generations as Bolton folk and my grandfather has a painting hanging in Dean Church where he is burried
    I didn't realise you were a Bowtoner. My first game was Wanderers v Stoke. The first ever Sunday FA Cup game, which was handy, as my Dad was on 6-day a week call at the paint factory.
    When I researched my family tree, my fathers side lived and worked in Deane pits for 3 generations, having come down from Cumberland in the 1830's.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jo Maugham? do me a favour.....

In more serious news Ruth Davidson to step down
  • Options

Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

I could be tempted
    A good friend of mine who's a natural Tory has vowed never to vote for them again over Brexit. He has a building company. He views the current lot as insane for wrecking business.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

Do erstwhile Labour voters in England and Wales who backed Leave see a PM who is finally going to deliver the Brexit they crave or an entitled Tory toff riding roughshod over democracy to get the Brexit he craves? The next general election probably hinges on the answer to that question.

I suspect they believe he is anti-elitist and the rest of the MPs are just feathering their own nest. The next election will be fought on Boris the outsider territory.

I am shocked at how comfortable Tory PBers are with tbis course of action. They would be up in arms if Blair had done this last decade.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Tabman said:

It is astonishing how much the party has changed. The Party I joined died in the fires of the Coalition - there is a new LD Party now. Those Conservatives who think it's simply Paddy Ashdown's party reborn are as mistaken in that belief as they are in thinking anyone has any interest in Boris's reheated Thatcherism.

As are the superannuated lefties who habituate LDV.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    stodge said:

Tabman said:

What's changed?
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    The anti no dealers shot themselves in the foot yesterday by pre-announcing their proposed legislative action yesterday. It allowed Boris to push ahead with the prorogation to limit the ability of MP’s action. Could they not have waited until parliament had resumed and then have more chance to take control of the order paper?

Now it seems we are headed for no deal.
  • Options

Another quiet day in British politics then?

August 28th, 2019 - a date that will live in infamy!
  • Options

That seems to be his gamble. While I'd like it not to be rewarded I cannot discount that his simple message and blame game approach could work.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

I could be tempted
    My resignation letter has been written but not sent yet. However, today has unnerved me and especially Ruth who I greatly admired. If my resignation goes in which is looking increasingly likely I will not join another party but would support the Lib Dem's as long as by supporting them I do not put a Corbynista in
    And therein lies both the danger and I suspect what Boris will rely on.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

I could be tempted
    A good friend of mine who's a natural Tory has vowed never to vote for them again over Brexit. He has a building company. He views the current lot as insane for wrecking business.
    There is always the danger that we talk to the like-minded, but I know of many more who feel the same.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Bolton saved.

Good news.

I didn't realise you were a Bowtoner. My first game was Wanderers v Stoke. The first ever Sunday FA Cup game, which was handy, as my Dad was on 6-day a week call at the paint factory.
    Indeed my Fathers side all came from Bolton going back to the late 1600's according to my daughters ancestry investigations.

It is my Mothers side with the Welsh connection

And so many worked in the mills but remarkably they were virtually all conservatives
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    edited August 2019

Tabman said:

Tabman said:

Jonathan said:

I could be tempted
    There is always the danger that we talk to the like-minded, but I know of many more who feel the same.
    I have voted Tory many times but will not do so again. Nothing in the referendum result pointed to support for no deal Brexit.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Bolton saved.

Good news.

My parents may have been the only people in history to retire from south-east England to Bolton. They initially lived on Wigan Road not far from Deane Church and then after my mother passed my father moved to Morris Green, again not so very far away.
This discussion has been closed.