Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet the next Prime Minister. Maybe

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

If you have read Travellers in the Third Reich you will know that there were very clear signs and strongly flashing red lights all along the road that Germany travelled between 1930 and 1939.

The UK is probably winter 1931 into 1932 at this stage.

We are not even getting Bauhaus architecture, expressionist cinema or a thriving counter-cultural cabaret scene by way of compensation for the larval stage fascism.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

"Collaborators".

"Traitors".

"The enemy."

I had an early night last night. Have I hugely overslept and we are now somewhere in France ca. 1940?

It's more like Secret Army acted out by the cast of 'Allo 'Allo.
    Good moaning!

I bring you a massage: The Remoaners and Bruxiteurs are still arguing about whether the United Kongdom should loave the European Onion or nit.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    TGOHF said:

The critical parts of that document are the last two paragraphs. They do not support the Leaver case that all will be wonderful and that there is nothing to worry about.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

So ydoethur is half way towards his threesome :wink:

Hey, I'm quite happy with just one!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Stokes has made this match safe for England. Can he give them a chance to win it?
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Operation Yellowhammer - written by the fifth columnist collaborators in the civil service. Time for a purge.

The problem with Benedict Arnold isn't that he was called a traitor.

Collaborators and traitors need to be removed from office. Though if this was written as a worst case problem identifying exercise then that is sensible. The leaker though is a traitor.
    Just in case it's not obvious, I wasn't being serious.
    I am.

I don't want violence but anyone who is working for the government and undermining their government while collaborators with our enemy in these negotiations is a traitor. They should be fired if they can't recuse themselves.
    The EU are not "our enemy".
    For as long as they insist upon the undemocratic backstop they absolutely are.
    Is that the selfsame backstop as proposed by the May Government? Are they the enemy too?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    DavidL said:

Stokes has made this match safe for England.

Jofra Archer's ball to Steve Smith begs to differ.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

If you have read Travellers in the Third Reich you will know that there were very clear signs and strongly flashing red lights all along the road that Germany travelled between 1930 and 1939.

We are not even getting Bauhaus architecture, expressionist cinema or a thriving counter-cultural cabaret scene by way of compensation for the larval stage fascism.
    Thank heaven for small mercies.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

But think how disappointed the other one might be :wink:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

"Collaborators".

"Traitors".

"The enemy."

I had an early night last night. Have I hugely overslept and we are now somewhere in France ca. 1940?

There's certainly a Laval of bitterness on here this morning.
    You've Petain your punster's hat I see.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Stokes has made this match safe for England. Can he give them a chance to win it?

Stokes does seem to have a high ratio of getting runs in a crisis to being a flat track bully.

If there are any stats on that they would be very interesting.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But think how disappointed the other one might be :wink:
    She won't be Robbied.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

"Collaborators".

"Traitors".

"The enemy."

You've Petain your punster's hat I see.
    My Gaulle was to lighten things up.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Ah but he got 92 and put England in serious trouble. Stokes has once again batted England out of it. He has looked our best test batsman this summer. Very disciplined effort by Buttler too. With these 2 at the crease and Bairstow to come I would like to see a quick dash to another 50 (for the benefit of your love life, obviously) and then have a go at an Australia without Smith.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Bit harsh and inappropriate to compare Merkel to Adolf. Think you need a lie down SO.

Given how completely you have misunderstood my post, I think you need the lie down, dear boy x

I don’t think anyone has taken your post seriously tbf ...
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    For what it’s worth, I take the ST (online, v.good value generally). Today’s edition has what feels like 50% of the articles/stories written by work experience students and/or are palpably filler. There’s an awful lot of, “will this do?” to the whole paper. Mid-August.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    ydoethur said:

Jofra Archer appears to have just won the Ashes for England.

Although probably (hopefully) not quite he way he intended...

I don't follow cricket or the Archers, so I don't know what you are referring to.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Stokes has once again batted England out of it. He has looked our best test batsman this summer.

I think that's a bit harsh on Burns.
    DavidL said:

I would like to see a quick dash to another 50 (for the benefit of your love life, obviously) and then have a go at an Australia without Smith.

Why thank you! It's good to know everyone is so anxious to improve my sex life...it's as though you think my ability to play with an 8-foot horn once a week is insufficient.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Though only 1 in 6 Unionists in Northern Ireland back the backstop in the same poll
    NI's populace doesn't consist solely of Unionists...
    Its largest county, Antrim, is still 2/3 Unionist
    Really? The population of Northern Ireland support the backstop by nearly 3:2, but it's fine to ignore their wishes because 5 out of 6 people, who make up 2 out of 3 people in one part of NI are opposed?

I'm glad you aren't involved in drawing up constituency boundaries.
    Yes absolutely. Because of the principles behind the Good Friday Agreement.

The principle is one of compromise and consensus between the communities not one community forcing their will upon the other.

The Irish are standing firm behind the nationalist community and ignoring the unionists. So I have no qualms supporting the unionists and ignoring the nationalists. When the communities can come together we can have compromise.

That won't happen until the crisis comes to the fore. We need to trigger a crisis on the border or we won't have any compromise.
    I don't know what kind of a supposed Brit you think you are but what a staggeringly ignorant comment. And the bar can be pretty low on PB at times.
    TBF there’s a long history of idiot Brits seizing on Ulster to further their own political objectives (cf Randolph Churchill)
  • Options
    The Tories are now the party of the hedge fund elite. Hedge funds thrive on chaos, instability and the difficulties these pose for solid businesses. No Deal will make a lot very rich people with strong links to many government ministers, including the PM, even richer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Stokes has once again batted England out of it. He has looked our best test batsman this summer.

DavidL said:

I would like to see a quick dash to another 50 (for the benefit of your love life, obviously) and then have a go at an Australia without Smith.

Why thank you! It's good to know everyone is so anxious to improve my sex life...it's as though you think my ability to play with an 8-foot horn once a week is insufficient.
    Burns has started to look like a proper opener. Roy not so much.

And can I gently suggest its better when someone else plays with it for you?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

TGOHF said:
    What the government of Gibraltar forgot to say is that all its plans are almpst entirely dependent on the goodwill of the Spanish government. Just as the UK will be entirely dependent on the goodwill of others after a No Deal Brexit. That is the reality of taking back control.

You think that being in the EU guarantees goodwill?

Someone has a short or selective memory.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Floater said:

TGOHF said:
    What the government of Gibraltar forgot to say is that all its plans are almpst entirely dependent on the goodwill of the Spanish government. Just as the UK will be entirely dependent on the goodwill of others after a No Deal Brexit. That is the reality of taking back control.

About what are you talking?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Floater said:

TGOHF said:

Being in the EU means not having to rely on goodwill.
  • Options

The Tories are now the party of the hedge fund elite. Hedge funds thrive on chaos, instability and the difficulties these pose for solid businesses. No Deal will make a lot very rich people with strong links to many government ministers, including the PM, even richer.

Or poorer.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Ah but he got 92 and put England in serious trouble. Stokes has once again batted England out of it. He has looked our best test batsman this summer. Very disciplined effort by Buttler too. With these 2 at the crease and Bairstow to come I would like to see a quick dash to another 50 (for the benefit of your love life, obviously) and then have a go at an Australia without Smith.

Ssssshhhhhhh

You just cannot help yourself, can you??

There are 60 or so overs left in the day and England have a propensity to collapse spectacularly. We need to be batting at tea to be confident of getting a draw. The Aussies will still fancy their chances, especially with an early wicket this session.

• Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Burns has started to look like a proper opener. Roy not so much.

And can I gently suggest its better when someone else plays with it for you?
    Well, perhaps. That's a hard one to judge.
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Ssssshhhhhhh

You just cannot help yourself, can you??

There are 60 or so overs left in the day and England have a propensity to collapse spectacularly. We need to be batting at tea to be confident of getting a draw. The Aussies will still fancy their chances, especially with an early wicket this session.

Buttler will be out immediately after lunch, as you and I both know.

But England all out for 200 might not be a bad thing.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TGOHF said:

It means there is legal recourse in the absence of goodwill.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Looks like England might get 200.
  • Options
    Just in case there was anyone left taking my comments on Brexit seriously I should reveal, in the interests of full disclosure, that I bought kebabs for a BBQ yesterday. The rain is once again torrential.

#justsaying
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    matt said:

For what it’s worth, I take the ST (online, v.good value generally). Today’s edition has what feels like 50% of the articles/stories written by work experience students and/or are palpably filler. There’s an awful lot of, “will this do?” to the whole paper. Mid-August.

Is it the 50% you disagree with?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Just in case there was anyone left taking my comments on Brexit seriously I should reveal, in the interests of full disclosure, that I bought kebabs for a BBQ yesterday. The rain is once again torrential.

#justsaying

It's your cricket comments we're worried about.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

#justsaying

I thought the jury was in on that. Harsh but fair I thought.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

#justsaying

You lost us the Edgbaston Test (you and seven so-called batsmen). It nearly earned yunperpetual banishment to ConHome.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

#justsaying

You lost us the Edgbaston Test (you and seven so-called batsmen). It nearly earned yunperpetual banishment to ConHome.
    Not sure how I did that. I don't think I was even on during the sad collapse. It was a busy day.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

#justsaying

Cricket = :sleeping:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    The cricket comments here seem to lurch from the most incredulous pessimism through to some absolutely vile stuff re Smith's concussion. Weve got a good chance to win today precisely because our batting isn't top notch. Australia need quick wickets to give us a chance though. Listen to @AndyJS
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

The cricket comments here seem to lurch from the most incredulous pessimism through to some absolutely vile stuff re Smith's concussion. Weve got a good chance to win today precisely because our batting isn't top notch. Australia need quick wickets to give us a chance though. Listen to @AndyJS

Smith did some bad things and for my mind his punishment was too short. But that is history and, ignoring the basic fact that we don't want people to get hurt, he showed some great courage in the first innings and will have won over a lot of those fans who were booing him. He deserves plaudits for his performance even if we wish it were not so good against us
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

"Collaborators".

"Traitors".

"The enemy."

Said with milice aforethought.
This discussion has been closed.