Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet the next Prime Minister. Maybe

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    glw said:

alex. said:

The Sunday Times report today isn't the "worst case scenario". It is its base case scenario. The things it most expects to happen. And just because they are planning for something, doesn't mean the consequences can be averted. Apart from anything else, as the Sunday Times documents point out, a great deal of the problems are likely to be because things are likely to be out of the Government's control and dependent on the actions of others - businesses, individuals, other countries etc etc.

Correct Yellowhammer is the "most likely" scenario. The worst case scenario is dealt with by Operation Black Swan.

The government has completely lost the plot that they are willingly heading towards such events.
    Have we the outline of Operation Black Swan?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Pulpstar said:

Voting to trigger A50 then not follow through by voting through ANY WA (I don't care if it was May, Corbyn or anyone elses) was the equivalent of leaping out a plane (A50), removing your parachute on the basis it was told to you by others heading down the dive that it was an awful idea on the basis that you'll be able to either land in a giant net (Successful no deal) or someone else with a better parachute will be able to grab you and that you'll be able to complete the dive as a sort of tandem. Now you've heard the net may or may not be there, and hitting it is tricky and though the experienced diver with the definitely working parachute will definitely see you ok, you've ditched your own parachute on the basis you were either a) Intending to go for the net all along or b) You've heard nasty things about your parachute and don't like the colour.

Right now we've got emoved the parachute, hopefully we will either hit the net or someone else can grab us. But there is a big row about who the the grabber might be !
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

alex. said:

The Sunday Times report today isn't the "worst case scenario". It is its base case scenario. The things it most expects to happen. And just because they are planning for something, doesn't mean the consequences can be averted. Apart from anything else, as the Sunday Times documents point out, a great deal of the problems are likely to be because things are likely to be out of the Government's control and dependent on the actions of others - businesses, individuals, other countries etc etc.

Correct Yellowhammer is the "most likely" scenario. The worst case scenario is dealt with by Operation Black Swan.

The government has completely lost the plot that they are willingly heading towards such events.
    I don't believe so.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Roger said:

You saw the Tarantino then?

Wednesday I think. Will be taking sandwiches.

Yes the trailer looked to have some 'Helter Skelter' in it.

If it's as good as Pulp Fiction I'll be very happy.

Walken and the watch ... ☺
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Dura_Ace said:

notme2 said:

Any further delay is not designed to result in a better deal to leave but to lengthen the time since the vote was taken and reduce its legitimacy.

The referendum has no legitimacy due dishonesty on the part of leave, illegality and foreign interference.
    You can't be stupid enough to actually believe that, so I suppose you think we are.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

It's going to be so nice when we find we're all still alive with all extremities intact on November 1. It will probably be rainy. Trains will probably be late. Wonderful life will continue.

And hopefully most of May's deal will then be implemented very quickly on a unilateral basis. For example a unilateral bill granting all the agreed rights to EU citizens currently resident here really should be before Parliament in September. The government can confirm that the UK does pay its debts. etc etc. It will still be sub optimal and messy but very far from calamitous.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Though only 1 in 6 Unionists in Northern Ireland back the backstop in the same poll
    NI's populace doesn't consist solely of Unionists...
    Its largest county, Antrim, is still 2/3 Unionist
    Really? The population of Northern Ireland support the backstop by nearly 3:2, but it's fine to ignore their wishes because 5 out of 6 people, who make up 2 out of 3 people in one part of NI are opposed?

I'm glad you aren't involved in drawing up constituency boundaries.
    Yes absolutely. Because of the principles behind the Good Friday Agreement.

The principle is one of compromise and consensus between the communities not one community forcing their will upon the other.

The Irish are standing firm behind the nationalist community and ignoring the unionists. So I have no qualms supporting the unionists and ignoring the nationalists. When the communities can come together we can have compromise.

That won't happen until the crisis comes to the fore. We need to trigger a crisis on the border or we won't have any compromise.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Icarus said:

Re Paris - This from today's Observer is going too far:
    A customer fatally shot a waiter at a pizzeria on the outskirts of Paris, apparently enraged at being made to wait for a sandwich, according to witnesses.

The waiter’s colleagues called police after he was shot in the shoulder with a handgun in the Noisy-le-Grand suburb, 15km east of Paris’s city centre on Friday night.

Attempts to revive the 28-year-old failed and he died at the scene.

The gunman, who a witness said lost his temper “as his sandwich wasn’t prepared quickly enough”, fled the scene.

Look for that latest Trip Advisor report - "This place advertises that it sells fast food. It does not."
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

It's going to be so nice when we find we're all still alive with all extremities intact on November 1. It will probably be rainy. Trains will probably be late. Wonderful life will continue.

And hopefully most of May's deal will then be implemented very quickly on a unilateral basis. For example a unilateral bill granting all the agreed rights to EU citizens currently resident here really should be before Parliament in September. The government can confirm that the UK does pay its debts. etc etc. It will still be sub optimal and messy but very far from calamitous.
    The government is not going to put any bills relating to the EU before Parliament. Its belief in Parliamentary sovereignty is homeopathic.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Though only 1 in 6 Unionists in Northern Ireland back the backstop in the same poll
    Really? The population of Northern Ireland support the backstop by nearly 3:2, but it's fine to ignore their wishes because 5 out of 6 people, who make up 2 out of 3 people in one part of NI are opposed?

The whole point of the Good Friday Agreement was both communities in Northern Ireland, Unionist and Nationalist, had to have their wishes respected and share power to secure peace.

Either the backstop or a hard border with the Republic will leave either Unionists or Nationalists angry based on the polling data and an alternative solution, ideally a technical solution for the border, needs to be found
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Scott_P said:
    it never was going to be.. a really anti conservative anti social mobility idea.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    DavidL said:

If we have a GE, which looks all too likely, is Bercow really going to stand again? He's already been Speaker for substantially longer than he promised. If he did stand again I suggest that the Tories should stand against him and take it seriously. The man is a part of the problem rather than part of the solution. It's long past time that he went.

Martin was also an appalling Speaker but I don't think that the case for the HoC regulating itself by one of its members has been rendered untenable. They just need to choose more carefully.

Recent history is certainly encouraging in the members choosing more carefully stakes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The whole point of the Good Friday Agreement was both communities in Northern Ireland, Unionist and Nationalist, had to have their wishes respected and share powet to secure peace.

Either the backstop or a hard border will leave either Unionists or Nationalists angry based on the polling data and an alternative solution ideally a technical solution for the border needs to be found
    You need to acquaint yourself with Schedule 1 to the Northern Ireland Act 1998. Attitudes like yours are likely to make it very relevant in the next few years and there’s no need for any cross-community consensus before it is triggered.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Entertaining Sunday column as usual. I wouldn't mind the solution (though I don't think he could remain Speaker as well), but doubt if it would get anywhere near takeoff. And giving him authortity to decide A50 issues during the election is difficult - he won't at that point have any official office (since all MPs including the Speaker lose office when an election is called), so technically it'd be no more valid than giving authority to, say, Edmund in Tokyo (which I'd also be pleased to vote for). But at this stage I suppose nothing is impossible.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The most likely cause of "Brexit deaths" will be some headcase Remainer losing it after he has failed in his plans to thwart the outcome of the Referendum.

Pontius Pilot speaks...
    Phew. For a moment there I thought you were likening me to Pontius Pilate.

Unlike your good self, Pointless Pilot. Steering us all towards those vapid Remain retweets that will change nothing......
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Phew. For a moment there I thought you were likening me to Pontius Pilate.

No. Pilot.

The one who locked the cabin door before slamming the plane into a hillside...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    it never was going to be.. a really anti conservative anti social mobility idea.
    In the round it makes no odds but putting the burden to the seller would probably discourage sales as you've got the EA fees to pay anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The whole point of the Good Friday Agreement was both communities in Northern Ireland, Unionist and Nationalist, had to have their wishes respected and share power to secure peace.

Either the backstop or a hard border with the Republic will leave either Unionists or Nationalists angry based on the polling data and an alternative solution, ideally a technical solution for the border, needs to be found
    Which side insisted on the whole Stormont double lock thingamajig ?
  • Options
    Daniel Kawczynski fashing away on R4 this morning.

'Those MPs who try to continue to thwart what the British people voted for ought to be careful (pregnant pause) in whether or not they can retain their seats.'

I think he's got IDS beat for boneheaded malevolence, no mean feat.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The whole point of the Good Friday Agreement was both communities in Northern Ireland, Unionist and Nationalist, had to have their wishes respected and share powet to secure peace.

Either the backstop or a hard border will leave either Unionists or Nationalists angry based on the polling data and an alternative solution ideally a technical solution for the border needs to be found
    You need to acquaint yourself with Schedule 1 to the Northern Ireland Act 1998. Attitudes like yours are likely to make it very relevant in the next few years and there’s no need for any cross-community consensus before it is triggered.
    Northern Ireland Protestants and the Orange Order will never accept being part of the Republic of Ireland whatever Schedule 1 says.

At most all that would happen is the majority of Northern Ireland joins the Republic if there is a majority for that based on the Catholic majority counties while Protestant majority Counties Antrim and Down remain part of the UK.

Given diehard Remainers have refused to accept a democratic referendum result, Protestant Unionists certainly will not either
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    glw said:

glw said:

alex. said:

I don't believe so.
    Of course there is another point about this. A Govt can't plan to avert serious disruption under multiple scenarios. If their base scenario is wrong then there will be consequences especially if too optimistic. Given the main.business of the site - consider a General Election, 2017 a great example. Get the base scenario wrong and you will either end up losing seats you could have held, or missing out on seats that could have been won. Plan for Black Swan and consequences of Yellowhammer scenario are worse. If yellowhammer is wrong then Black Swan is calamitous. Etc
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Which side insisted on the whole Stormont double lock thingamajig ?
    The Nationalists
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    DavidL said:

The fireworks will be going off in Hartlepool. After 48 years they'll get their sovereignty back. These are the things rhat dreams are made of
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The principle is one of compromise and consensus between the communities not one community forcing their will upon the other.

The Irish are standing firm behind the nationalist community and ignoring the unionists. So I have no qualms supporting the unionists and ignoring the nationalists. When the communities can come together we can have compromise.

That won't happen until the crisis comes to the fore. We need to trigger a crisis on the border or we won't have any compromise.
    I don't know what kind of a supposed Brit you think you are but what a staggeringly ignorant comment. And the bar can be pretty low on PB at times.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Northern Ireland Protestants and the Orange Order will never accept being part of the Republic of Ireland whatever Schedule 1 says.

At most all that would happen is the majority of Northern Ireland joins the Republic if there is a majority for that based on the Catholic majority counties while Protestant majority Counties Antrim and Down remain part of the UK.

Given diehard Remainers have refused to accept a democratic referendum result, Protestant Unionists certainly will not either
    Your faith in democracy seems somewhat inconsistent, however..

"Orange Order chief 'will accept united Ireland' if majority votes for it"

https://tinyurl.com/y4ow5u9h
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You're insane. If NI votes to leave then they're gone. Antrim and Down be damned the British Parliament will then no more cling to them than they did anyone in Hong Kong who objected.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Unionist opinion is not of one mind, as many polls show. I used to hear of Trotskyists with your apparent mindset, though I never actually met one - apparently they said things like "The worse the better, we need a crisis to raise class consciousness". I thought it was dangerous nonsense then and still do. Compared with you, Jeremy Corbyn is a snowflake centrist.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1163013650430472192

Another one for the inevitable public inquiry.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

But as a diehard remainer yourself this is a pretty damning piece of self criticism.
  • Options
    MayoJMayoJ Posts: 1
    " I think MPs who respect the referendum result but are implacably opposed to both a No Deal Brexit and a Corbyn Premiership "

Is it possible to respect the referendum result and oppose a No Deal Brexit? This can only apply to MPs who either weren't paying attention during the referendum campaign or don't understand Article 50. They also can't possibly understand the EU's position on negotiating trade deals. Actually that goes for 100% of the media as well.

A permanent relationship or ‘deal’ was NEVER going to be agreed before the UK left the EU. The Article 50 negotiations are (or were) intended to develop (a) the terms of withdrawal and (b) an associated political declaration which would provide a detailed framework of a future deal. David Davis negotiated a sensible transition period to allow time for this ‘’deal’ to be agreed. May then stuck her oar in and (deliberately - I believe) created the mess which followed.

The legal position now is that no terms of withdrawal have been agreed and so the UK leaves the EU by default 2 years after the date of Article 50 notification (since extended to Oct 31st). This what MPs voted for. Respecting the referendum result means abiding by the Article 50 process.
  • Options

Unionist opinion is not of one mind, as many polls show. I used to hear of Trotskyists with your apparent mindset, though I never actually met one - apparently they said things like "The worse the better, we need a crisis to raise class consciousness". I thought it was dangerous nonsense then and still do. Compared with you, Jeremy Corbyn is a snowflake centrist.
    Haha yes absolutely. Creative destruction. Truly, Brexit has sent us mad.
  • Options

This is just like Trump dismissing things he doesn't like from his own government's departments.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

But as a diehard remainer yourself this is a pretty damning piece of self criticism.
    Except I have accepted the referendum result
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

I'm starting to expect it's during the show trials...
  • Options
    MayoJ said:

" I think MPs who respect the referendum result but are implacably opposed to both a No Deal Brexit and a Corbyn Premiership "

Is it possible to respect the referendum result and oppose a No Deal Brexit? This can only apply to MPs who either weren't paying attention during the referendum campaign or don't understand Article 50. They also can't possibly understand the EU's position on negotiating trade deals. Actually that goes for 100% of the media as well.

A permanent relationship or ‘deal’ was NEVER going to be agreed before the UK left the EU. The Article 50 negotiations are (or were) intended to develop (a) the terms of withdrawal and (b) an associated political declaration which would provide a detailed framework of a future deal. David Davis negotiated a sensible transition period to allow time for this ‘’deal’ to be agreed. May then stuck her oar in and (deliberately - I believe) created the mess which followed.

The legal position now is that no terms of withdrawal have been agreed and so the UK leaves the EU by default 2 years after the date of Article 50 notification (since extended to Oct 31st). This what MPs voted for. Respecting the referendum result means abiding by the Article 50 process.

I think this is true. A consequence of the clash between representative and direct democracy. I disagree with the May creating a mess though. As we might well find the three preconditions for an agreement will remain after October 31 and May simply recognised that.

Coming back to @AlastairMeeks' no mandate for no deal. Irrelevant. No deal is the way the UK will leave the EU in the absence of any other agreement.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    NI voted to Remain, remember?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I don't know what kind of a supposed Brit you think you are but what a staggeringly ignorant comment. And the bar can be pretty low on PB at times.
    What do you mean supposed Brit? I'm not a supposed Brit I am English through and through. I am a Brit by virtue of being English.

What I wrote is true. @DavidL has rightly recognised the dangers of an extension without an agreed purpose but a transition without one will be just as problematic.

If we in bad faith enter a transition agreeing to a backstop but expecting it not to be enforced then why would the EU in good faith find an alternative?

An alternative needs to be found if the backstop isn't agreed because of history but it will only be agreed if the backstop is rejected.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Except I have accepted the referendum result
    But you vehemently disagree with it and the way it is being implemented.
  • Options
    Sectarian headcount maps by yours truly:

https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/images/maps/map12.htm
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You're insane. If NI votes to leave then they're gone. Antrim and Down be damned the British Parliament will then no more cling to them than they did anyone in Hong Kong who objected.
    Wrong, Boris as PM is close to the DUP and will back the Protestant majority Counties.

The Republic of Ireland is also not a superpower like China
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Antrim voted Leave
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Haha yes absolutely. Creative destruction. Truly, Brexit has sent us mad.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.
  • Options
    glw said:

This is just like Trump dismissing things he doesn't like from his own government's departments.
    Yep.

I am expecting: "there are no queues of lorries at Dover", the TV news is fake, the supermarkets all have fresh food, look here is a cucumber etc etc in November.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,758
    DavidL said:

My benchmark for success is more ambitious than avoiding self imposed calamity. Mileages vary. But that's Brexit for you
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

He also opposes a border poll because of Brexit but has family from the Republic with both his father and grandfather born in Donegal so maybe not a typical Unionist
  • Options

TOPPING said:

What do you mean supposed Brit? I'm not a supposed Brit I am English through and through. I am a Brit by virtue of being English.

What I wrote is true. @DavidL has rightly recognised the dangers of an extension without an agreed purpose but a transition without one will be just as problematic.

If we in bad faith enter a transition agreeing to a backstop but expecting it not to be enforced then why would the EU in good faith find an alternative?

An alternative needs to be found if the backstop isn't agreed because of history but it will only be agreed if the backstop is rejected.
    As @NickPalmer has rightly pointed out, your approach is Trotskyist. And no Brit would want to visit such destruction on their own country.

I don't believe you are British. Good choice of British-sounding posting name though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Antrim voted Leave
    And? Antrim is just one county. Are you proposing re-partition? Will the Nationalist parts of Antrim (eg. The Glens) be allowed to opt out?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Antrim voted Leave
    More fool them
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

He also opposes a border poll because of Brexit but has family from the Republic with both his father and grandfather born in Donegal so maybe not a typical Unionist
    You mean a "Diehard Unionist"?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Antrim voted Leave
    And? Antrim is just one county. Are you proposing re-partition? Will the Nationalist parts of Antrim (eg. The Glens) be allowed to opt out?
    If nationalists in Scotland and Catholic parts of Northern Ireland can threaten to leave the UK because of a referendum result so can Protestant parts of Northern Ireland refuse to become parts of the Republic of Ireland because of a referendum result
  • Options

glw said:

Yep.

I am expecting: "there are no queues of lorries at Dover", the TV news is fake, the supermarkets all have fresh food, look here is a cucumber etc etc in November.
    I mustn't forget the double think. We are meant to accept that No Deal Brexit is not a problem; but simultaneously we have to spend billions of pounds preparing for it, and the EU will cave in to our demands to avoid the problems it will cause.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,263
    edited August 2019

Scott_P said:
    Is it? I can see there would be outcry from homeowners over it (pretty annoying for an existing homeowner to pay on purchase last year AND sale next) and am not surprised to see Javid say he has no such plans.

But, as a broad principle, why is it more anti-social mobility than loading Stamp Duty on purchasers? The beneficiaries would tend to be first time purchasers, and the losers estates on death.

In terms of mobility - moving for a job or whatever - it's a wash as you're selling one property and buying another (so just as now you pay on one half of the transaction but not the other).
  • Options
    As the Treasury predictions broadly turned out, with the exception of employment, the real scandal is people falsely presenting this work as a lie.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    I see Malc was out and about yesterday....

https://twitter.com/Janela_X/status/1163015413795627008?s=20
  • Options

Except I'm not talking about stuff like consciousness I'm talking about compromise.

Compromise could occur today but neither side wants to. Transition won't make anyone want to either. A clean Brexit forces it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Antrim voted Leave
    If nationalists in Scotland and Catholic parts of Northern Ireland can threaten to leave the UK because of a referendum result so can Protestant parts of Northern Ireland refuse to become parts of the Republic of Ireland because of a referendum result
    That's why N Ireland!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    One of the key witnesses at the public inquiry.
  • Options
    MayoJ said:

Welcome to pb.com.

It would be great to have just one MP put their hand up and admit they were just too damned stupid to know what they were doing when they agreed to trigger Article 50.

Just one, from a pool of dozens, maybe hundreds.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    The article says report compiled this month. The document found in a pub was Johnson’s crib sheet to keep him on message when questioned.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

As @NickPalmer has rightly pointed out, your approach is Trotskyist. And no Brit would want to visit such destruction on their own country.

I don't believe you are British. Good choice of British-sounding posting name though.

Ha! I've been here for well over a decade now.

I don't believe there will be destruction I believe there will be compromise. There will only be compromise though if it is necessary.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I don't believe there will be destruction I believe there will be compromise. There will only be compromise though if it is necessary.
    You are playing with fire in a way that no actual Brit ever would.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

As I would expect I see you support the unionist Nazis who were there yet again trying to cause trouble. Holocaust denier at the forefront in his manky union jack shirt. Did you fly in to join them waving your little flag.
    https://twitter.com/tradasro/status/1162803955514191872/photo/1
  • Options
    nichomar said:

TGOHF said:
    The article says report compiled this month. The document found in a pub was Johnson’s crib sheet to keep him on message when questioned.
    It's the worst case they say. It's not.
    It's outdated they say. It's not.

We are led by idiots.
  • Options
    F
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Antrim voted Leave
    So London Merseyside Manchester etc etc can the decide to stay in the EU if the wish because they didn’t vote to leave.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

rcs1000 said:

All this talk of GNU is fanciful, it would be almost entirely without Tory support.

80%+ of it's support would be from labour mps, with backing from the snp, a handful of lib Dems and sub 10 Tories. Making Ken Clark PM doesn't suddenly make it a GNU, it'd be wildly partizan.

Nothing without the support of 100 Tories could claim the name honesty

Clarke himself is talking about negotiating a softer Brexit. His GNU is a far more extensive project than Corbyn's splash and dash, extension and election.
    Clarke would be talking about a softer Brexit than May's Shit Deal.

He is the most extreme EU fanatic in the House, with a decades-long track record and three failed bids to be Tory leader to back that up. His view of the EU is suported by well below 10% of the public. The idea of putting him in charge of implementing something voted for by 52% of the public is frankly risible.

Rather than Brexit, he'd no doubt love to sign us up to the Euro in a hearbeat.

You want the ultimate in broken politics? Prime Minister Ken Clarke is that ultimate. A man with no mandate whatsoever, it would also only be a short term fix for the EU. Because PM Farage would follow on in short order, with a mandate and the MPs to rip us out of the EU, whatever Clarke had signed up to.
    To be fair, Mr M, Kenneth Clarke three times voted for Brexit.
    Quite. It should be those who voted against a deal to leave the EU in parliament who should have any death as a result of no deal,on their conscience.

We are leaving the EU. No ifs or buts. Parliament rejected the smooth transition, not the Government.
    The current government has no mandate for no deal Brexit. It was not the prospectus. Those, like you, who give them a free pass to damage the country in this way working to an artificial deadline that the public has never been consulted on are deranged.
    The deadline was fixed by the HoC when it resolved overwhelmingly to serve the Article 50 notice. The fact that that 2 year period was then extended to little purpose (other than finally getting rid of an incompetent PM) does not change that.
    There is nothing stopping the government seeking to change the deadline to achieve an orderly Brexit. But it prefers to risk serious disruption, suffering and in all probability death.
    Well said.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

And you think the British government (if there still is one) will have the capacity to impose a new partition?
  • Options
    glw said:

nichomar said:

TGOHF said:
    It's the worst case they say. It's not.
    It's outdated they say. It's not.

We are led by idiots.
    Idiots are one thing. Bare-faced liars are something else.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    The key takeaway is that Iain Duncan Smith sets out to trash his civil servants on ideological grounds. His only specific call out is bogus. He berates the civil servants for not reaching out to the Mayor of Calais in his claim there will be no queues there. But we know why. The lorries won't be allowed to board the ferries without preclearance.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    O/T Just reading the thread - what hideous crime did notme (a very long-term peebee) perpetrate to warrant the smiting? His posts seemed unexceptionable.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

As the Treasury predictions broadly turned out, with the exception of employment, the real scandal is people falsely presenting this work as a lie.
    STOP LYING

The Treasury predicted an immediate year long recession after a Leave vote.

2.44 In both scenarios, a vote to leave the EU would result in a recession. Setting the shock scenario against the OBR’s Budget 2016 forecast, the analysis shows that immediately following a vote to leave the EU, the economy would be pushed into recession with four quarters of negative growth.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

O/T Just reading the thread - what hideous crime did notme (a very long-term peebee) perpetrate to warrant the smiting? His posts seemed unexceptionable.

He said if post-Brexit a family member of his died from lack of medicines, there would be a by-election required....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Antrim voted Leave

Does that mean me and 16 million other Remain voters can just refuse to the leave the EU? Brilliant! I think we have found a solution to Brexit!

• Options

FF43 said:

STOP LYING

2.44 In both scenarios, a vote to leave the EU would result in a recession. Setting the shock scenario against the OBR’s Budget 2016 forecast, the analysis shows that immediately following a vote to leave the EU, the economy would be pushed into recession with four quarters of negative growth.
    Just as well the BoE acted to stave off such a scenario.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

And you think the British government (if there still is one) will have the capacity to impose a new partition?

Or the will. Especially given that most of its supporters would very happily see Northern ireland go in order to deliver Brexit.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

As I would expect I see you support the unionist Nazis who were there yet again trying to cause trouble. Holocaust denier at the forefront in his manky union jack shirt. Did you fly in to join them waving your little flag.
    You fell asleep Carlotta, tired after your unionist day out
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    malcolmg said:

As I would expect I see you support the unionist Nazis
    Nice to see the Nats “rise above it” in their usual “Civic Nationalism” style......
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Silly expression. Fire is fun to play with. Setting fires is the best part of camping.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

STOP LYING

Just as well the BoE acted to stave off such a scenario.
    In which case the BoE can stave off every future recession by cutting interest rates by 0.25% can't it.
  • Options

FF43 said:

STOP LYING

Don't you accuse me of lying, despicable person.

These are the relevant figures from the report:

Immediate impact of a vote to leave the EU on the UK (% difference from base level unless specified otherwise)
    Shock scenarioa Severe shock scenarioa
    GDP -3.6% -6.0%
    CPI inflation rate (percentage points) +2.3 +2.7
    Unemployment rate (percentage points) +1.6 +2.4
    Unemployment (level) +520,000 +820,000
    Average real wages -2.8% -4.0%
    House prices -10% -18%
    Sterling exchange rate index -12% -15%
    Public sector net borrowing (£ billion) b +£24 billion +£39 billion
    a
    Peak impact over two years. Unemployment level rounded to the nearest 10,000. b
    Fiscal year 2017-18.

Relative to Remain.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Silly expression. Fire is fun to play with. Setting fires is the best part of camping.
    Hmm that's as maybe but give a child a box of matches and a can of petrol and the fun might diminish somewhat.

At least you are not disagreeing with my comment.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    ”Even Jesus Christ only had the one resurrection.”

Rawnsley on Labour prospects for an autumn election:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/mr-corbyn-wants-a-general-election-but-is-his-party-ready-to-fight-one
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

He said if post-Brexit a family member of his died from lack of medicines, there would be a by-election required....

JohnO said:

Ah...I see. Thanks
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The public inquiry will cover all aspects of this disaster.
  • Options
    Shadsy is offering 500/1 on Bercow as next PM.

VALUE.
  • Options
    Those nice people at Betfair are looking into adding John Bercow to their next Prime Minister market.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Hmm that's as maybe but give a child a box of matches and a can of petrol and the fun might diminish somewhat.

At least you are not disagreeing with my comment.
    I think some fire is necessary to find a solution yes.

I disagree with fire being bad and I disagree with the idea no Brit would support it. Controlled burn backs are better than wildfires.

A solution is easily available but until both sides have 'a fire in their belly' to reach one it won't be found. Necessity is the mother of invention.

There will be no return to the Troubles. There will be a compromise found instead but it will only be found after we exit without a backstop and has to be found.
  • Options

Those nice people at Betfair are looking into adding John Bercow to their next Prime Minister market.

Hurrah.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

As I would expect I see you support the unionist Nazis
    Nice to see the Nats “rise above it” in their usual “Civic Nationalism” style......
    I see you don't deny it, tip - when you live in a glass house do not throw the first stone. Your poor attempt to traduce me says it all yet again. The xenophobic unionist You are well personified by that picture even if it is not you it certainly portrays your persona very accurately.

• Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

STOP LYING

Don't you accuse me of lying, despicable person.

These are the relevant figures from the report:

Immediate impact of a vote to leave the EU on the UK (% difference from base level unless specified otherwise)
    Shock scenarioa Severe shock scenarioa
    GDP -3.6% -6.0%
    CPI inflation rate (percentage points) +2.3 +2.7
    Unemployment rate (percentage points) +1.6 +2.4
    Unemployment (level) +520,000 +820,000
    Average real wages -2.8% -4.0%
    House prices -10% -18%
    Sterling exchange rate index -12% -15%
    Public sector net borrowing (£ billion) b +£24 billion +£39 billion
    a
    Peak impact over two years. Unemployment level rounded to the nearest 10,000. b
    Fiscal year 2017-18.

Relative to Remain.
    Then STOP LYING.

This is what you said:
    FF43 said:

The Treasury predicted an immediate four quarter recession AND THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

So it didn't 'broadly turn out'.

GDP increased, unemployment fell, house prices rose, government borrowing reduced.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited August 2019
  • Options

Hurrah.
    They are happy to take money off any old fool.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    Unsurprising to have a traitor amongst the rogues gallery of former ministers.
This discussion has been closed.