Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft poll has Swinson beating Johnson, Corbyn and Far

12346»

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

So yet again no benefits for leaving the EU the question is frequently asked and never answered.

You said you weren’t interested in arguments about sovereignty or control. If you don’t value the benefits then, of course, Brexit doesn’t make sense to you
    No because I’ve never lost anything I valued because of the EU I’ve only benefited from it.
    That’s your opinion

But to say that you don’t want to hear the arguments in favour of Brexit and then complaining that no one is arguing in favour of Brexit is rather pointless
    List the benefits, I remain only interested in what provides economic stability for the majority of people and if you can’t eat the benefit it isn’t worth having
    The benefits are philosophical

I value them, you have said you don’t

I guess I’ve progressed further up the hierarchy of need than you have 🙄
    As a rich disaster capitalist you can persuade yourself, like the walrus and the carpenter, that the oysters you’re shucking are suffering at the hands of others.
    They were suffering at your and your ilk’s hands. And so they came out and voted for a change.
    It’s not me that’s just boasted about having screwed a forced seller to the floor.
    Technically she wanted to sell but wasn’t forced to. I offered her cash, off market, and she accepted. She didn’t have to.
    You take advantage of other people’s misfortune and then screw them over for pecuniary gain.

Classic Brexiter.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,786
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Serious question: if the British government wanted to increase the value of GBP to say, 1 GBP to 2 USD, how could they, if at all, do it? What policies would be needed?

Hmm, tricky. Fixed exchange rates (enforcing a level) don't work in these days of instant currency movements. Increasing interest rates would work, but not by enough and would be politically unpopular. Good UK economic growth plus high interest rates in UK plus low US economic growth plus low interest rates in US might do it. Unfortunately those events seem unlikely.

GBP did hit $2 briefly in the Noughties, and it was before the crash. Perhaps somebody more financially savvy than moi can proffer an explanation. At a guess, @Charles or @rcs1000 would be able to do it.
    No, but I was able to buy a beach house from a forced seller in 2009 based on a rate of $1.9 : 1.0

😂

At 40% below the asking price

😂😂
    I bought my present flat around the same time. I picked four I liked, lopped 20% off the asking price, then iterated my offers upwards by £5k each time until somebody said yes. So got around 12% off.

I don't know if that was good technique and possibly it wasn't. One estate agent swore at me and I don't actually like messing people around. But insofar as it achieved its goal, it worked OK.

Now if I could only sell the thing at the price I need to sell it at, I'll be happy... :(
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,786
    Floater said:

viewcode said:

There's a story in the Mirror about a man who went to hospital for Botox and was given a circumcision by accident. He's called Terry Brazier. I'm on the tablet so can't cut and paste, but if you Google it you should find it.

I saw that story in another newspaper earlier today.
    I knew a guy once who was cheated by a petrol station and kicked up a fuss. He got interviewed by the local paper and was very pleased he'd gotten a small measure of fame. I would bloody hate it. Mr Brazier will be know for the rest of his days as That Guy With No Foreskin. Poor soul... :(
  • Options
    So have tweets about this been pasted on PB today ?

A number of survey respondents commented on improved sales to clients in external markets, helped by the weak sterling exchange rate against the euro and US dollar. Moreover, the latest survey indicated the fastest increase in new work from abroad since June 2018.

https://www.markiteconomics.com/Public/Home/PressRelease/0cc0c4f6f7f14c65aaa27338a9abbfc5
  • Options

A number of survey respondents commented on improved sales to clients in external markets, helped by the weak sterling exchange rate against the euro and US dollar. Moreover, the latest survey indicated the fastest increase in new work from abroad since June 2018.

https://www.markiteconomics.com/Public/Home/PressRelease/0cc0c4f6f7f14c65aaa27338a9abbfc5

Selling off the family silver in a fire sale is not a sustainable economic model.
  • Options

Charles said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Well I for one never saw a single manifesto pushing no deal, my MP Fysh was claiming that we would never leave EFTA/EEA before the referendum and never mentioned no deal as a destination. We were told we hold all the cards, it was the easiest deal in history, blah blah blah. now I only watch news 18 hours a day but if you can show me where anyone claimed no deal was a likely destination, from a positive view I’d be interested.

But you are a self proclaimed fanatical Remainer. So it is not your opinion we are discussing here but that of those who voted Leave.
    Can you provide the evidence to back up your claim that it was clear in 2017 that no deal was a real possibility? Yes I’m a proud, fanatical, die hard remainer who’s view is as relevant as yours. We are in the middle of the biggest con job ever launched on the UK with no real mechanism to expose it.
    Well no in this argument my view is far more relevantvthan yours because the vlaim being argued is that people like me who favoured a soft Brexit have now changed their minds because a No Desl is in prospect. You fanatics on either side of the argument don't figure in those calculations.
    So no evidence, can we have a list of economic benefits for the NE of England when we leave with no Deal?
    Unsurprisingly you have a very selective memory. The hardliners in the Tory party were already causing trouble for May before the 2017 election and there was lots of debate on here about whether she would use an expected larger majority to force through a softer Brexit. So yes, a No Deal was considered a real possibility then.

And why should I list the economic benefits when it is not my preferred choice and my choices have never been driven by economics? You are doing well both rewriting history and using Straw Man arguments.
    So yet again no benefits for leaving the EU the question is frequently asked and never answered.
    You said you weren’t interested in arguments about sovereignty or control. If you don’t value the benefits then, of course, Brexit doesn’t make sense to you
    Leavers divide between those that hate immigrants, those that madly hate the EU and those who are prepared to sell Britain down the river to make a quick buck. The rest is window dressing.
    Wrong yet again Alastair. You do make a habit of it.
  • Options
    There seems to be a misunderstanding being propagated whether deliberately or accidentally that the 2017 Tory manifesto pledged we would leave with a deal. It didn't. It pledged, did it not, that we would leave in the most orderly way possible?

Well May's deal isn't possible, it has failed three times.
    Revocation or extension aren't leaving.
    And we keep being told that everything else is a unicorn. Unicorn is code for not possible.

So with regret that just leaves No Deal. It is bizarrely by series of elimination the only and thus most orderly way to leave left to us.

Unless a unicorn turns out to be real.
  • Options

There seems to be a misunderstanding being propagated whether deliberately or accidentally that the 2017 Tory manifesto pledged we would leave with a deal. It didn't. It pledged, did it not, that we would leave in the most orderly way possible?

And we keep being told that everything else is a unicorn. Unicorn is code for not possible.

So with regret that just leaves No Deal. It is bizarrely by series of elimination the only and thus most orderly way to leave left to us.

Extension is leaving in the same way that Turkey is joining the EU.
  • Options

Leavers divide between those that hate immigrants, those that madly hate the EU and those who are prepared to sell Britain down the river to make a quick buck. The rest is window dressing.

I'm disappointed Libertarian Pirate Islanders have been omitted. I even chose my profile pic to reflect that.
  • Options

So Turkey is joining the EU?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I'm disappointed Libertarian Pirate Islanders have been omitted. I even chose my profile pic to reflect that.
    I missed out the congenitally deranged because it is cruel to mock the afflicted.
  • Options

So Turkey is joining the EU?
    It was a technical possibility but a political improbability. In my view, Brexiters were right to call out the essential hypocrisy of the UK position.
  • Options

I missed out the congenitally deranged because it is cruel to mock the afflicted.
    Ahoy matey.
  • Options

Selling off the family silver in a fire sale is not a sustainable economic model.
    And that is the economic model this country has been following for over twenty years.

Increasing wealth creation and exports while living within your means is the opposite.
  • Options

And that is the economic model this country has been following for over twenty years.

Increasing wealth creation and exports while living within your means is the opposite.
    So you tell us, night after night.
    How is Brexit supposed to help?
    It’s like treating the flu by amputating a leg.
  • Options

Sovereignty and democracy.

It is like trying to get healthy by taking control of what you eat and how you exercise rather than eating whatever is put in front of you unquestioningly.
  • Options

Sovereignty and democracy.

It is like trying to get healthy by taking control of what you eat and how you exercise rather than eating whatever is put in front of you unquestioningly.
    There’s nothing healthy going on here.
    Brexit: Do Not Resuscitate.
  • Options

Its already helped as exports have increased:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/ikbh/mret

Whereas you prefer for the UK to live beyond its means and sell of its assets to fund the excess consumption.
This discussion has been closed.