Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The BJohnson bounce and the LD recovery add to the pressure of

124»

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Interesting that support for a No Deal in the IPSOS-Mori is 38%, which is less than the combined Tory/BXP score. 50% are opposed and 54% believe it will adversely affect them.

Despite that 10 point Tory lead I think it is way to soon to be calling any pre-Brexit election for Johnson. His lead looks very vulnerable to me.

That is what Kieren Pedley thinks in this good news/bad news thread.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1156890526999863296?s=19
    https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1156890529675776000?s=20

No leader who has led on best PM ratings has failed to win the general election even if their party lacked a clear lead on headline voting intention
    Callaghan led Thatcher in best PM ratings in 1979.
    Wilson was certainly more popular than Heath in 1970.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Tabman said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Is he mad enough to do it? Suspect they'll be wondering the same thing in Brussels.
    If he convinces Brussels that he is mad enough to do it, then it will be job done.

I wrote earlier this year that we needed to appear mad to Brussels. That what we needed was not just to act hard, but to act full on Vinnie Jones levels of "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" stark raving bonkers to the Europeans.

Being "diplomatic" won't work.

They'll just wait for us to come to our senses, at which time our bargaining position will be even weaker than it currently is.
    Except we have no need to come to our senses. We can cope either way, even HM Treasuries pessimistic forecasts show we'll be better off in a future no deal scenario than we are now, what will be foregone is some growth. The longer we get past the event horizon of a no deal Brexit the less disruptive it will be to us too.
    You're an economist by training. Tell us about the time value of money. How much is a dollar today Vs a dollar tomorrow worth?
    I am not sure day to day movements in currency worthwhile.

Lets see where the pound is in the autumn
    Big G it's nothing to do with the exchange rate. If you have a dollar today it is worth more than being given a dollar in a year's time. Even at today's low interest rates.

So if we forego growth today and it arrives some time in the future it makes less of an impact on our wealth.

@Philip_Thompson will explain.
    If interest rates are 5% and inflation is 2%, £1 today will be worth £1.05 in a year's time, or £1.03 in real terms. So £1 today is better than £1 in a year's time. 3p better in this example.

This is known as Net Present Value.
    It is indeed. So if, say, we have a few years of (oh I don't know Brexit-inspired) bad growth followed by good growth then that good growth will relatively make us less well off compared with the damage done by the next years of bad growth. The further out the growth is the less impact it has on our current wealth.

@Philip_Thompson as an economist knows this but seems to want to ignore it for the purposes of Brexit.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Interesting that support for a No Deal in the IPSOS-Mori is 38%, which is less than the combined Tory/BXP score. 50% are opposed and 54% believe it will adversely affect them.

Despite that 10 point Tory lead I think it is way to soon to be calling any pre-Brexit election for Johnson. His lead looks very vulnerable to me.

No leader who has led on best PM ratings has failed to win the general election even if their party lacked a clear lead on headline voting intention
    I had thought that but apparently Thatcher edged ahead of Callaghan by Spring 1979 on a net satisfied basis too

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/british-public-opinion-march-1979
    So it depends how close we are to an election.

How much did May lead Corbyn before the June 2017 where she lost seats and Labour gained?
    To be fair today's situation is vastly different with labour in decline and the lib dems rising and threatening to overtake labour
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854
    Tabman said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Is he mad enough to do it? Suspect they'll be wondering the same thing in Brussels.
    If he convinces Brussels that he is mad enough to do it, then it will be job done.

I wrote earlier this year that we needed to appear mad to Brussels. That what we needed was not just to act hard, but to act full on Vinnie Jones levels of "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" stark raving bonkers to the Europeans.

They'll just wait for us to come to our senses, at which time our bargaining position will be even weaker than it currently is.
    Except we have no need to come to our senses. We can cope either way, even HM Treasuries pessimistic forecasts show we'll be better off in a future no deal scenario than we are now, what will be foregone is some growth. The longer we get past the event horizon of a no deal Brexit the less disruptive it will be to us too.
    You're an economist by training. Tell us about the time value of money. How much is a dollar today Vs a dollar tomorrow worth?

Big G it's nothing to do with the exchange rate. If you have a dollar today it is worth more than being given a dollar in a year's time. Even at today's low interest rates.

So if we forego growth today and it arrives some time in the future it makes less of an impact on our wealth.

If interest rates are 5% and inflation is 2%, £1 today will be worth £1.05 in a year's time, or £1.03 in real terms. So £1 today is better than £1 in a year's time. 3p better in this example.

Yup. Happy days. Try working out the NPV of a life assurance policy payable to the last survivor of a married couple with a return-of-premiums clause if they die in the first five years. And those were the easy ones. Ah, nostalgia... :)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I would be grateful if you could provide me with a source for that. Genuinely interested
    Could swear Callaghan led Thatcher. But am prepared to be proved wrong.
    Callaghan led Thatcher in the Ipsos ratings pretty much up to the Winter of Discontent.

Often quite substantially.

November 1978

Callaghan net rating plus 14

Thatcher net rating minus 13

January 1979

Callaghan net rating minus 31

Thatcher net rating plus 5

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/political-monitor-satisfaction-ratings-1977-1987
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    viewcode said:

Tabman said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yup. Happy days. Try working out the NPV of a life assurance policy payable to the last survivor of a married couple with a return-of-premiums clause if they die in the first five years. And those were the easy ones. Ah, nostalgia... :)
    We accountant trainees used to have a few jokes (sad I know). One in particular was "What's the definition of an actuary? Someone who thought accountancy would be too exciting." :-D
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    viewcode said:

Didn't everything else seem dull in comparison afterwards?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

...which is why I asked for a source. @HYUFD may well be correct, in broad if not absolutely, but I still want to look at the figures... :(
  • Options
    Tabman said:

viewcode said:

Tabman said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

We accountant trainees used to have a few jokes (sad I know). One in particular was "What's the definition of an actuary? Someone who thought accountancy would be too exciting." :-D
    Extrovert actuary: looks at *your* shoes... :)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I would be grateful if you could provide me with a source for that. Genuinely interested
    Could swear Callaghan led Thatcher. But am prepared to be proved wrong.
    And apparently I am.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    viewcode said:

Tabman said:

viewcode said:

Tabman said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Extrovert actuary: looks at *your* shoes... :)
    Yeah we had that one about accountants too!
  • Options

viewcode said:

Didn't everything else seem dull in comparison afterwards?
    I know. The glamour, the excitement, the paparazzi. How did I cope...:)

(For the avoidance of doubt, I am not an actuary. I worked alongside them)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    CatMan said:

Chris said:

The BBC (like others) has fact-checked Dominic Raab's latest pack of lies:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49165836

So Rabb thinks maybe sort of saying it on *ONE* interview on Radio 5 is enough to say that there is a democratic mandate for no deal? Wow.
    Apparently he thinks that repeatedly telling people during the referendum campaign that - according to the BBC - "there was no doubt that the UK would get a deal with the EU" is a mandate for leaving without a deal now.

When someone lies so blatantly about things that are a matter of public record, what chance do we stand of getting any truth from them about things that aren't?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited August 2019
    viewcode said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

...which is why I asked for a source. @HYUFD may well be correct, in broad if not absolutely, but I still want to look at the figures... :(
    There's two types of polling, Best PM and net satisfaction ratings.

Best PM ratings aren't as good as net satisfaction ratings, from 1979 onwards every party leader that has led on satisfaction ratings has won the general election.

Here's the Ipsos MORI figures on net satisfaction from 1977 onwards

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/political-monitor-satisfaction-ratings-1977-1987

Best PM is a bit hit and miss, in 1970 and 1979 Wilson and Callaghan led on best PM but lost the election.

Unfortunately most of the pollsters that polled back in 1970 and 1979 no longer poll in the UK, so you'd have go and read the election books by Buttler et al to see the figures.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    The government’s transparent attempts to convince everyone they’re serious are becoming farcical.

https://twitter.com/stevebarclay/status/1156922280158683136?s=21
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I had thought that but apparently Thatcher edged ahead of Callaghan by Spring 1979 on a net satisfied basis too

How much did May lead Corbyn before the June 2017 where she lost seats and Labour gained?
    To be fair today's situation is vastly different with labour in decline and the lib dems rising and threatening to overtake labour
    Elections concentrate minds. The Great Squeeze of 2017 could happen again, though as we saw in 1983, there can come a point where voters are willing to ignore the likelihood of wasting their votes. This situation already exists in Scotland, where the 4-party system is working quite well in Scottish Parliament elections but creates freak results in Westminster elections, with parties "coming through the middle" to win seats with small majorities.

As far as the next GE is concerned, timing is everything. If there was an election this month, Labour would be in serious trouble. Luckily the election won't come till a point when things will be much more difficult for Johnson.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

viewcode said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

There's two types of polling, Best PM and net satisfaction ratings.

Best PM ratings aren't as good as net satisfaction ratings, from 1979 onwards every party leader that has led on satisfaction ratings has won the general election.

Here's the Ipsos MORI figures on net satisfaction from 1977 onwards

Best PM is a bit hit and miss, in 1970 and 1979 Wilson and Callaghan led on best PM but lost the election.

Unfortunately most of the pollsters that polled back in 1970 and 1979 no longer poll in the UK, so you'd have go and read the election books by Buttler et al to see the figures.
    If there are only two options, the question should be "Better PM".
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Conservatives were 8/1 last night for B&R but now they're 13/1.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.159853905
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

The government’s transparent attempts to convince everyone they’re serious are becoming farcical.

The No Deal Establisment wants No Deal. That's what they are saying. And yet, some remain impervious to the message.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

May still led Corbyn on a net satisfied and best PM basis and won enough seats to form another Tory Government, Corbyn is polling far worse than 2017 now anyway
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    dixiedean said:

The No Deal Establisment wants No Deal. That's what they are saying. And yet, some remain impervious to the message.
    Who gains from no deal? Tice, Mogg and the like you’ve been suckered to allow rich people to become richer but apparently that’s democracy.
  • Options
    Smith is causing chaos.
  • Options
    The ICC should have given Steve Smith a lifetime ban.

Cheats should never prosper.

It would have sent a message to the world that cheating is never permissible.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson is a horrible human being

https://twitter.com/elashton/status/1156973782617206785
  • Options

Does that include lying in referendums?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    nichomar said:

dixiedean said:

Who gains from no deal? Tice, Mogg and the like you’ve been suckered to allow rich people to become richer but apparently that’s democracy.
    Not those with expensive London properties who mainly voted Remain, some working class voters who voted Leave to regain sovereignty and greater control of immigration maybe
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

May still led Corbyn on a net satisfied and best PM basis and won enough seats to form another Tory Government, Corbyn is polling far worse than 2017 now anyway
    So in the most recent GE, the person leading best PM lost a couple of dozen seats net.

If Boris were to repeat that we would be in a very well hung parliament.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

dixiedean said:

Not those with expensive London properties who mainly voted Remain, some working class voters who voted Leave to regain sovereignty and greater control of immigration maybe
    That’s not a real benefit it’s a con job who apart from Phil Thompson gives a shit about sovereignty you can’t eat it and if you think Johnson will control immigration with his points based system you have fallen for another lie.
  • Options

Sarah Wollaston is a TPD.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Feel sorry for anyone with a phone in B&R who was canvassed but hasn’t yet voted. It seems like half the LibDem membership is logged into the national phonebanking software and there are only so many numbers to call.
  • Options

Sarah Wollaston is a TPD.
    And the only one of the TIG Tories not to have turned up in Brecon to support the LibDem campaign.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

She has instead been allocated a smaller office nearby which, she claims, will make it far more difficult to carry out her parliamentary business.

I wouldn't have mentioned that if I were her. Stick to the dying aunt line. She would have known how this works when she defected. No point moaning now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

That says way more about Sarah Wollaston than it does about Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Conservatives were 8/1 last night for B&R but now they're 13/1.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.159853905

People who followed TSE’s excellent spot of 30/1 who have now been cashing out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    The EU appears already to me to have changed its position. They are now saying they won't change the WA but, are prepared to change the PD. When Theresa asked for that they refused and changed it to be worse if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

Or they could just have allowed the other side to use sandpaper on the ball for every match he batted in.

The Aussies would have dropped him faster than Wavell Hinds.
  • Options

The EU appears already to me to have changed its position. They are now saying they won't change the WA but, are prepared to change the PD. When Theresa asked for that they refused and changed it to be worse if I remember rightly.

No - their position is unaltered
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

You don’t remember rightly.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    edited August 2019

No, they offered to change it for Theresa as well. The EU position hasn't changed. Tbh, the time for Boris to be doing this was over two years ago when we still had a majority. It's all completely useless now because the fifth columnist Tory MPs will turn traitor.

This is like a general implementing a strategy that would have worked before the barbarians were at the gate, let alone through it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I do not want to be unkind but moving to another office is not an unreasonable request no matter her personal issues
  • Options

The PD means nothing, it’s just a statement of understanding. The backstop is in the WA, and if that document doesn’t change then it’s no deal.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ing

That's not what @TOPPING meant, @Big_G_NorthWales . The theory is that a dollar now is worth more than a dollar in ten years time, because a) you could have put that dollar in a bank account and got interest, b) the purchasing power of that future dollar is less due to inflation, and c) there is a non-trivial chance of you dying in the meantime.

I used to work in an actuarial firm (many years ago!) and you have to take things like that into account.
    Yet there are still currently buyers for long government bonds that guarantee the holder a real terms loss, if also guaranteeing return of capital.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    Happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I don't think so. I think they were always open to changing the PD as it's essentially just a road-map of where the two sides would like the LTR negotiations to end up. It's not supposed to be set in stone.
  • Options

They’ve been offering to add a codicil to the PD for ages now.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    They have always said that they are happy to change the PD
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    TOPPING said:

Tabman said:

It is indeed. So if, say, we have a few years of (oh I don't know Brexit-inspired) bad growth followed by good growth then that good growth will relatively make us less well off compared with the damage done by the next years of bad growth. The further out the growth is the less impact it has on our current wealth.

@Philip_Thompson as an economist knows this but seems to want to ignore it for the purposes of Brexit.
    I don't ignore it this is the first time I've seen you bring it up and you are 100% correct, Net Present Value is a real issue.

However that doesn't mean we should always prioritise today over the future. Investment is an example of where people forego £'s today in order to get more in the future, using your figures investing £1m today in an investment that expects 7% income means you are 4% better in foregoing £1m today.

On a compound basis if you can generate 7% annual growth and inflation is 2.5% then foregoing £1m today gives you £1.967m in nominal terms a decade later, or £1.537m in real terms.

It all depends upon what you think will be the relevant factors over the whole term.

One can see real life examples where countries have a period of low growth followed by periods of higher growth and the higher growth in the future more than overtakes the lower growth of the past. Within the EU Ireland is a prime example of this.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Sandpit said:

The PD means nothing, it’s just a statement of understanding. The backstop is in the WA, and if that document doesn’t change then it’s no deal.
    That's not strictly true.

Under international arbitration they would look at the complete agreement - it's just that where the two conflicted (which I'm sure they do), then the WA has precedence.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

TOPPING said:

Tabman said:

I don't ignore it this is the first time I've seen you bring it up and you are 100% correct, Net Present Value is a real issue.

However that doesn't mean we should always prioritise today over the future. Investment is an example of where people forego £'s today in order to get more in the future, using your figures investing £1m today in an investment that expects 7% income means you are 4% better in foregoing £1m today.

On a compound basis if you can generate 7% annual growth and inflation is 2.5% then foregoing £1m today gives you £1.967m in nominal terms a decade later, or £1.537m in real terms.

It all depends upon what you think will be the relevant factors over the whole term.

One can see real life examples where countries have a period of low growth followed by periods of higher growth and the higher growth in the future more than overtakes the lower growth of the past. Within the EU Ireland is a prime example of this.
    7% growth? We're not China.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

I think you’re probably just trolling, but how, precisely has he “prospered” from the cheating?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

No, they offered to change it for Theresa as well. The EU position hasn't changed. Tbh, the time for Boris to be doing this was over two years ago when we still had a majority. It's all completely useless now because the fifth columnist Tory MPs will turn traitor.

This is like a general implementing a strategy that would have worked before the barbarians were at the gate, let alone through it.
    The funny bit - of course - is that a year ago, Boris wrote a header about how we need to ask for a six month extension, and use that renegotiate.

Instead, we're not asking for an extension. And it's not clear that even the WA without the backstop would now pass.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Tabman said:

And interest rates aren't 5% and our GDP isn't £1 million.

It was a hypothetical example to mathematically demonstrate the point [and on a microeconomic level many companies investing will look for 7%+ returns on investment].
  • Options
    alex. said:

I think you’re probably just trolling, but how, precisely has he “prospered” from the cheating?
    It's his batting that's prospering. Annoyingly.

We've no chance of getting him out without Anderson, and if we can't get him out we'll be lucky not to lose 5-0.
  • Options
    140 for the first eight wickets,
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Under international arbitration they would look at the complete agreement - it's just that where the two conflicted (which I'm sure they do), then the WA has precedence.
    Which is why, from the EU side, they’re happy to write anything in the PD, but won’t change a single letter of the WA, which is the primary legal treaty document containing all the backstop language.
  • Options
    122-8

284-9

That was a day of two bowling performances.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

It's his batting that's prospering. Annoyingly.

We've no chance of getting him out without Anderson, and if we can't get him out we'll be lucky not to lose 5-0.
    We just need to get Lyon out. For the next Test if we don't have Anderson we will have Archer.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    79.2 overs
    Right. England will have four balls at Nathan Lyon.

79.4 overs
    Nathan Lyon drives for four.

Nae luck.
  • Options
    All out. At last!
  • Options
    Well, I got him in the end.

About 130 runs too late, however.

284 isn't a great result having opted to bat. However, given the fragility of England's batting it will be a test for them.

England need to go big here. Bat patiently and bat long is the watchword.

So naturally they will bat like headless chickens and be all out for 110.
  • Options
    Can we send Leach out? :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Finally Smith goes! 284, after being 122/8 not good for our bowlers.

Now the batsmen have 15 difficult minutes at the crease at the end of the day.

A pair of night watchmen?
  • Options
    alex. said:

He's prospered today.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Now the batsmen have 15 difficult minutes at the crease at the end of the day

Only 2 overs left apparently which I don't understand given there should be 90 minus 2 in a day and there's only been 81 so that's 5 short.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The system seems a little bit odd, surely something like longetivity should give you first dibs, rather than the whips getting first choice.

Still - hard to be that sympathetic to Ms Wollaston: actions have consequences. Why should someone with just as much constituency business have a smaller office while she has a big one?
  • Options
    Are we only going to have 10 batsmen? If we're all out after 9 wickets that could make a difference.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Don't exaggerate. It's ten.

Ridiculous given we're already passed the time for close of play, but hey.

Maybe it will be like 2001, where Caddick and Thorpe conjured 291 from nowhere and then Michael Slater and Matthew Hayden put that in rather abrupt perspective.

And then again - maybe not...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Only 2 overs left apparently which I don't understand given there should be 90 minus 2 in a day and there's only been 81 so that's 5 short.
    Time as well. They draw stumps at 7pm regardless of overs bowled.

Was there a rain delay? It rained hard enough here at about 5.30.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Don't exaggerate. It's ten.

Ridiculous given we're already passed the time for close of play, but hey.

Maybe it will be like 2001, where Caddick and Thorpe conjured 291 from nowhere and then Michael Slater and Matthew Hayden put that in rather abrupt perspective.

And then again - maybe not...
    We're only past the time for close of play if we'd bowled the full 90 overs surely?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Will finish on the hour, and England will get fined for bowling slowly!

Edit: there was maybe one over lost to the “rain” earlier, but they came back on a minute after they went off.
  • Options

They are preparing their "failing and blaming" strategy. Let me write Boris' speech now.

"My friends, the EU has chosen No Deal. The British Government tried as hard as anybody could, but they refused. It could have been a brighter future if it wasn't for their intransigence. But just as it did during WW2 the British people are strong and we will achieve the sunlit uplands. The more revalued pound at £1=$1 will make exports much more competitive and I am pleased to announce a new trade deal with our natural allies the Americans that will help in our task. GMO crops, cheap food, the world is ours! "

(Except that you can't now live there nor buy anything from there... :) )
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Which is why, from the EU side, they’re happy to write anything in the PD, but won’t change a single letter of the WA, which is the primary legal treaty document containing all the backstop language.
    I'm supremely relaxed about the backstop, because - so long as the people of Northern Ireland made it clear via either their elected representatives or a referendum that they wished to leave the backstop - we would be obliged to tell the EU that under Article 1 of the UN Treaty, the people of Northern Ireland have a right to self determination, and therefore we would be exiting. And it is not possible for any treaty between the UK and a third party to supercede our obligations under those treaties.

Now, the EU might scream and shout at this point, but there would be fundamentally nothing they could do. And, from a matter of morality, this is correct. We cannot allow Article 1 to be superceded by an agreement with the EU. And any international arbitration would look at the UK's existing treaty commitments.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Will finish on the hour, and England will get fined for bowling slowly!

Edit: there was maybe one over lost to the “rain” earlier, but they came back on a minute after they went off.
    If 1 was lost to rain then that'd mean we were just short 4.

Surely all the reviews had an impact too? Considering how many mistakes the Umpires made today it would be harsh to fine England when the Umpires were responsible for a fair amount of time lost too.
  • Options

If you're perfectly happy to believe that, I'm perfectly happy to let you... :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I get that 7 is the end but I don't understand why they're specifically saying 2 overs. It should be possible to get 3 overs in within 13 minutes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I get that 7 is the end but I don't understand why they're specifically saying 2 overs. It should be possible to get 3 overs in within 13 minutes.
    New ball bowlers, remember.

And I suspect timewasting will go on.

However, it might also be that the clock at Edgbaston is a bit fast.

Several possible explanations, in other words.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

They are ending at 6:52
  • Options
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Makes more sense. Odd time, guessing that's the rain?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Tabman said:

PT is talking about returns on investment, rather than growth.

Now, I very much doubt that - across the UK economy - returns on investment are anywhere near 7% real. For the private sector, returns on invested capital are probably around 5%, which works out as 3.5% for debt, and 7% for equity. Returns for government investment are probably a lot lower - quite a lot of its investment will have negative or marginal returns. But let's assume the number is 2%.

Then we have to adjust for inflation, so I suspect the real number is more like 2-2.5% real,
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I believe so. You're allowed up to 30min extra for rain delays, so I guess there must have been 22min of rain.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438

alex. said:

He's prospered today.
    He comes across as a big baby. Smith that’s is not TSE.

Relax. We’ll hit 450+ and grind them into the dust
  • Options
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I believe so. You're allowed up to 30min extra for rain delays, so I guess there must have been 22min of rain.
    So they've still lost five overs somewhere?
  • Options
    It's amazing how well the tariffs have already worked... The US current account deficit has narrowed to... to...

Oh, it's widened. 1Q18 was $113bn. 1Q19 was $130bn.

See: https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/current-account
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    We've threatened and insulted the Paddys and it's not worked so far, let's try some top quality patronising.

https://twitter.com/OpinionaT_R/status/1156905102118137856?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I'm supremely relaxed about the backstop, because - so long as the people of Northern Ireland made it clear via either their elected representatives or a referendum that they wished to leave the backstop - we would be obliged to tell the EU that under Article 1 of the UN Treaty, the people of Northern Ireland have a right to self determination, and therefore we would be exiting. And it is not possible for any treaty between the UK and a third party to supercede our obligations under those treaties.

Now, the EU might scream and shout at this point, but there would be fundamentally nothing they could do. And, from a matter of morality, this is correct. We cannot allow Article 1 to be superceded by an agreement with the EU. And any international arbitration would look at the UK's existing treaty commitments.
    Good point. Unfortunately, our noble parliamentarians seem not to understand it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    New thread.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If you're perfectly happy to believe that, I'm perfectly happy to let you... :)
    My recollection was you have got it wrong, Eu were happy for the PD to change but inflexible on WA. the PD was what May used to snare Corbyn on basis EU happy to see it changed. Come, put whatsoever you want on the PD then vote for the WA was the call. But once we do that, and vote through WA, new PM can rip the PD up can’t they, was Labours response. Let’s be honest the PD has little meaning and to prove the point it will be interesting to see how much the Johnson Regime now changes it.
  • Options
    On topic the answer is no, no pressure on Corbyn from any of this this week. If anything the Boris Bounce is a good excuse they didnt have a few weeks ago. “It’s not as bad as that these are just short lived Boris bounce polls”.
  • Options
    Lab -17 :lol:
This discussion has been closed.