Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A week on from Johnson being called to the Palace and so far s

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

I am shocked that a Leaver would lie like this

https://twitter.com/daniel_sugarman/status/1156512788866568193?s=21

It seems some people on twitter are more upset by the suggestion that Slough is part of London...
    I sympathise, there's wrong people who say Middlesbrough is part of Yorkshire.
    It's south of the Tees so it is in Yorkshire. Of course it's no longer in the county of North Yorkshire but it is in the North Riding of Yorkshire as is Yarm and Redcar..
    My Dad's from Middlesbrough and he react very badly to someone telling him he wasn't a proper Yorkshireman.
    He's from Cleveland, not Yorkshire.
    Someone hold my coat.
    Why? Are you being cut in half by his argument over Cleve-land?
    Yellow card. That was bad even for you.
    I've red your comment and will consider it.
    Mods!
    Clearly you are feeling blue about my awesome punning.
    Green with envy, perhaps.
    Or jaundiced yellow.
    Well, I am in a purple patch tonight.
    Not how I red it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Balloon floated. Balloon popped. On to the next one...
    I hope not. It should be fully legalised, the war on drugs has been completely lost and all criminalisation does is give profits to criminals. People who want to buy drugs should get them on the high street from shops that carry Challenge 25 ID checks against children - something drug dealers don't bother with.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

This isn't really news, is it? I mean, a man who helps Paul Eisen is hardly going to blench at such an affair as this.

Equally, since we already know he does such things it is already factored in to people's views of him.
    The endlessness, the relentlessness, the very repetitiousness of these attacks, is what kills Corbyn, tho. He’s like a batsman constantly on the back foot facing brilliant fast bowling. He can’t build a score, he can’t regain his confidence, because he is always desperately defending his wicket and occasionally getting dropped in the slips.

Eventually - to extend the metaphor recklessly - he will get frustrated and try and bash one over the bowler’s head. And he will get caught.
    Never do cricket metaphors.
    Your talents lie elsewhere.
    You have to admit it was a bowled attempt though.
    Yep, I’m stumped.
    It's wicket of you to leave me with no follow up.
    A bit wide of the mark.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited July 2019
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

It seems some people on twitter are more upset by the suggestion that Slough is part of London...
    It's south of the Tees so it is in Yorkshire. Of course it's no longer in the county of North Yorkshire but it is in the North Riding of Yorkshire as is Yarm and Redcar..
    My Dad's from Middlesbrough and he react very badly to someone telling him he wasn't a proper Yorkshireman.
    Someone hold my coat.
    Mods!
    Or jaundiced yellow.
    Not how I red it.
    I've already used that one. So you have no white to try and use it again.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49176525

Some Jocks are getting upset at their accents being criticised.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

This isn't really news, is it? I mean, a man who helps Paul Eisen is hardly going to blench at such an affair as this.

Equally, since we already know he does such things it is already factored in to people's views of him.
    The endlessness, the relentlessness, the very repetitiousness of these attacks, is what kills Corbyn, tho. He’s like a batsman constantly on the back foot facing brilliant fast bowling. He can’t build a score, he can’t regain his confidence, because he is always desperately defending his wicket and occasionally getting dropped in the slips.

Eventually - to extend the metaphor recklessly - he will get frustrated and try and bash one over the bowler’s head. And he will get caught.
    Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

You've only left me bat puns.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Mods!
    Or jaundiced yellow.
    Not how I red it.
    I've already used that one. So you have no white to try and use it again.
    We’re clearly on the same wavelength.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

You don't want to meet a Jock when they're upset. Many Jocks are strapping.
  • Options

I must admit I prefer a Highland accent, but that said, I don't know why people get so het up about Glaswegian accents. I've always found them very easy to understand, and as I have very poor hearing that tells me they are excellent accents.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

That crossed the boundary of acceptability.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I must admit I prefer a Highland accent, but that said, I don't know why people get so het up about Glaswegian accents. I've always found them very easy to understand, and as I have very poor hearing that tells me they are excellent accents.
    I cannot stand Sturgeons accent , its terrible.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

You don't want to meet a Jock when they're upset. Many Jocks are strapping.
    TMI...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

Just trying to six things up.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

Four why ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Labour's new super and definitely independent panel better have a look. While they are at it, the Labour's candidate for Uxbridge certainly has some "interesting" views.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

Four why ?
    I haven't had a chance to pun recently, I was trying to catch up.

But I fear we'll run out.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Royal family now appeals to all viewpoints, from the Brexit Party and Tories with the Queen and Prince Philip, to Greens with Prince Charles and left liberal wokes with Meghan and now it seems Harry too.

Wills and Kate meanwhile can just stand above it all and adjust to the mood of the day

William and Kate are vacuous centrists?

Not sure that's fair.

William is a One Nation Conservative, I sense. Doubt you could put a cigarette paper between him and Chris Leslie.

As for Kate, appearances can deceive. She could well be a Bennite of the old school Left.
    William is a centrist, mildly pro Remain Tory toff, Kate is New Labour or Cameroon, Harry was a right-wing English nationalist Meghan is trying to turn into a LD, Green right on left liberal line and it seems succeeding. Charles is a Tory wet, Green with a mild dash of anti American, anti big business, organic Corbynism, Camilla is probably a Boris fan.
    I seem to remember someone (newspaper article) saying that Prince William would have voted for the referendum party in 1997 if he had the vote. He discussed it with someone; it might have even been his late mother. If it was her, I am not surprised it ended up in the media!
    Only as the Goldsmith family were close to Diana, William and Harry also played football with Blair's kids before the 1997 general election
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

Four why ?

It seams we have.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Who knew Boris was socially liberal? :o
    He's hoping we're all so high that we don't notice the disaster of sustained No Deal.

Especially now that the Yanks have closed down the possibility of a trade deal if Brexit imperils the Belfast Agreement.
    Pelosi has, Trump has not
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

Four why ?

It seams we have.
    But think how much fun we'll have tomorrow trying to put a spin on England's dismal performance in the first Test.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    Regarding cannabis legalisation, this article on Canada's experience is interesting: https://spectator.us/canada-failed-smash-cannabis-black-market/

Why would current cannabis users switch to the legal (and taxed) stuff when there is no drawback to continuing to purchase cheaper illegal stuff?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    He's hoping we're all so high that we don't notice the disaster of sustained No Deal.

Especially now that the Yanks have closed down the possibility of a trade deal if Brexit imperils the Belfast Agreement.
    Trump cannot override Congress.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    This is not so much balloon flying but dog whistling IMO! I noticed that the strategist (Lynton-Crosby) has not publicly parted company from Johnson or the Tories. Maybe he is feeding a strategy for Johnson to maximise Tory votes including the libertarian right? Personally, I think legalising drugs is a retrograde step.
    Cannabis is now legal in Canada, some US states and the Netherlands so likely will be here too soon enough
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    I hope not. It should be fully legalised, the war on drugs has been completely lost and all criminalisation does is give profits to criminals. People who want to buy drugs should get them on the high street from shops that carry Challenge 25 ID checks against children - something drug dealers don't bother with.
    Have you ever heard of counterfeit cigarettes or alcohol? In any competitive market people will always try and undercut or break the rules to make money. You as a full throttle capitalist will understand this. Drugs are a one way ticket to health problems and lost opportunities for those who use them. How many public figures have to die before people realise that even a little is too much?
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    I thought he had been deselected by the Tories? So he has nothing to lose. If the Lib Dems win the by-election tomorrow then his defection would be hugely symbolic as I think it would mean no majority in the H of C for the Tories depending on how you measure these things i.e. Tories + Dup = Maj at the moment. Shame that the MP for Sheffield Hallam does not quit until September, although, even if he did I suspect the House has to be sitting for them to move the writ for the by-election?
    Says a lot about his judgement if he is quitting just as the Con fortunes turn.
    or about his principles
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    A bit wide of the mark.

Four why ?

It seams we have.
    But think how much fun we'll have tomorrow trying to put a spin on England's dismal performance in the first Test.
    It’s probably over for them before it starts.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Trump cannot on override Congress.
    No but if Trump is re elected and the GOP retake the House next November a FTA would be back on even with no backstop
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

And as it's a Congressional matter rather than a Presidential matter exactly how important is Trump's opinion..
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
    Hey @Nigelb we've got a third man in this conversation.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
    The third man appears.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
    The third man appears.
    I just got in ahead of you. You must have slipped up.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
    Scary.

Time to put a cap on it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    This is not so much balloon flying but dog whistling IMO! I noticed that the strategist (Lynton-Crosby) has not publicly parted company from Johnson or the Tories. Maybe he is feeding a strategy for Johnson to maximise Tory votes including the libertarian right? Personally, I think legalising drugs is a retrograde step.
    Cannabis is now legal in Canada, some US states and the Netherlands so likely will be here too soon enough
    I don't disagree with you, I have noticed the places you mention legalising this activity.

I disagree with drug legalisation even though the purity angle might mean the drugs are no longer cut with additionally hazardous chemicals or substances. I don't use drugs personally but I think it is regrettable that the current fashion seems to be enabling the consumption of these harmful substances. Drugs have been made illegal for a very good reason, they are harmful to individuals and society at large. Drugs have been banned in communist countries in capitalist countries and just about every other shade of political opinion. Why is it right to decriminalise/legalise drugs but put restrictions on the use of pornography? I have never heard of someone wanking themselves to death?! If I had children I would rather they watch hardcore porn than take drugs...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But that is probably at least partly because you think she is terrible. The same goes for hating Northern Irish accents because we usually hear someone shouting at somebody using one. I really like the accent.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Have you ever heard of counterfeit cigarettes or alcohol? In any competitive market people will always try and undercut or break the rules to make money. You as a full throttle capitalist will understand this. Drugs are a one way ticket to health problems and lost opportunities for those who use them. How many public figures have to die before people realise that even a little is too much?
    No shit Sherlock that drugs are bad for you, its why I don't take them and would prefer nobody else did, but lets not live in some land of denial pretending that we can drive illegal drugs off the street. I don't take them and I wish it wasn't the case but I know just how easy it is to get them. The war is lost.

You know what else is bad for you? Getting stabbed. Illicit drugs fuel knife crime and much other crime, while legal drugs get taxed which fuels the NHS.

Legal dispensaries are also obliged to follow Challenge 25 regulations and are heavily regulated and have CCTV as standard.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
    Scary.

Time to put a cap on it.
    Nice edit. Did you googly it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't disagree with you, I have noticed the places you mention legalising this activity.

I disagree with drug legalisation even though the purity angle might mean the drugs are no longer cut with additionally hazardous chemicals or substances. I don't use drugs personally but I think it is regrettable that the current fashion seems to be enabling the consumption of these harmful substances. Drugs have been made illegal for a very good reason, they are harmful to individuals and society at large. Drugs have been banned in communist countries in capitalist countries and just about every other shade of political opinion. Why is it right to decriminalise/legalise drugs but put restrictions on the use of pornography? I have never heard of someone wanking themselves to death?! If I had children I would rather they watch hardcore porn than take drugs...
    Then you would be a bad parent

Hard core porn is utterly corrosive of a child’s perspective on relationships
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    No shit Sherlock that drugs are bad for you, its why I don't take them and would prefer nobody else did, but lets not live in some land of denial pretending that we can drive illegal drugs off the street. I don't take them and I wish it wasn't the case but I know just how easy it is to get them. The war is lost.

You know what else is bad for you? Getting stabbed. Illicit drugs fuel knife crime and much other crime, while legal drugs get taxed which fuels the NHS.

Legal dispensaries are also obliged to follow Challenge 25 regulations and are heavily regulated and have CCTV as standard.
    But can you tell us how legalisation will take illegal drugs off the streets? Illegal drugs are likely to remain cheaper, possibly stronger too, and if anything will benefit from the law no longer penalising possession. I agree that a heavily regulated and taxed industry is better than a poorly policed illegal one, but the one does not cancel out the other. Or does it? You tell me.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@SeanT wanked himself into hospital once, as depicted in his classic Millions of Women are Waiting to Meet You.
  • Options
    On drugs. There's a spectrum of course, but many of the people who use hard drugs are self-medicating. Take away the reason for that, and you take away a large part of the demand. There will always a few who do it for shit and giggles, but that's why you licence.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
    Scary.

Time to put a cap on it.
    Give me a break before I take flight.

Your turn.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    That’s a silly point
    Scary.

Time to put a cap on it.
    Just part of my kit bag.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But that is probably at least partly because you think she is terrible. The same goes for hating Northern Irish accents because we usually hear someone shouting at somebody using one. I really like the accent.
    Perhaps I just don't like accents.. and the broader they are the less I like them
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Perhaps I just don't like accents.. and the broader they are the less I like them
    With the exception of your own accent I presume. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2019

ydoethur said:

Sturgeon's accent isn't very broad though. It's the prissy things she says that grate.

In that way she reminds me of Angela Rayner.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The unique vowels (just say that word in your head with the accent - of course there is more than one) are incredible.

NZ's accent rotates vowels: a-e, e-i, i-u
  • Options
    Advertising your bluff doesn’t mean anyone’s going to buy it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Royal family now appeals to all viewpoints, from the Brexit Party and Tories with the Queen and Prince Philip, to Greens with Prince Charles and left liberal wokes with Meghan and now it seems Harry too.

Wills and Kate meanwhile can just stand above it all and adjust to the mood of the day

Not sure that's fair.

William is a One Nation Conservative, I sense. Doubt you could put a cigarette paper between him and Chris Leslie.

As for Kate, appearances can deceive. She could well be a Bennite of the old school Left.
    William is a centrist, mildly pro Remain Tory toff, Kate is New Labour or Cameroon, Harry was a right-wing English nationalist Meghan is trying to turn into a LD, Green right on left liberal line and it seems succeeding. Charles is a Tory wet, Green with a mild dash of anti American, anti big business, organic Corbynism, Camilla is probably a Boris fan.
    I seem to remember someone (newspaper article) saying that Prince William would have voted for the referendum party in 1997 if he had the vote. He discussed it with someone; it might have even been his late mother. If it was her, I am not surprised it ended up in the media!
    Only as the Goldsmith family were close to Diana, William and Harry also played football with Blair's kids before the 1997 general election
    That might account for it. I clearly remember reading too much newspaper output at the time instead of focusing my energy elsewhere! But I do remember that information about William and although you shouldn't believe everything in the press: it stuck out in my mind. I was surprised because of the neutrality of the royal family when regarding politics and government. His political views are not my business but given that some of the rules the rest of us have to observe such as inheritance tax that assets from monarch to heir are not required to pay I think it is better they don't have a say. Which of course is different to having an opinion!
  • Options
    Tabman said:

ydoethur said:

The unique vowels (just say that word in your head with the accent - of course there is more than one) are incredible.

NZ's accent rotates vowels: a-e, e-i, i-u
    Fush and chups is a famous NZ food speciality.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@SeanT wanked himself into hospital once, as depicted in his classic Millions of Women are Waiting to Meet You.
    I am sure he has come into millions as a result of that book! :wink:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Not sure that's fair.

That might account for it. I clearly remember reading too much newspaper output at the time instead of focusing my energy elsewhere! But I do remember that information about William and although you shouldn't believe everything in the press: it stuck out in my mind. I was surprised because of the neutrality of the royal family when regarding politics and government. His political views are not my business but given that some of the rules the rest of us have to observe such as inheritance tax that assets from monarch to heir are not required to pay I think it is better they don't have a say. Which of course is different to having an opinion!
    They don't, the royal family can't vote and the monarch has to deal with whichever PM can command a Commons majority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    A possible launch for a GE? Bribing the voters with their own money is always popular...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

With the exception of your own accent I presume. :)
    NO Noone likes the sound of their own voice when its played back, mine sounds awful to me but advised not so by friends... ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    A possible launch for a GE? Bribing the voters with their own money is always popular...
    He could even force the recipients of their own largesse to fly his flag so they could be extra grateful.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

But can you tell us how legalisation will take illegal drugs off the streets? Illegal drugs are likely to remain cheaper, possibly stronger too, and if anything will benefit from the law no longer penalising possession. I agree that a heavily regulated and taxed industry is better than a poorly policed illegal one, but the one does not cancel out the other. Or does it? You tell me.
    It won't completely [just as illegal alcohol and tobacco aren't 100% off the streets] but it will largely, most people will buy it legally just as most people buy their tobacco and alcohol legally.

Reducing the demand of customers for illegal drugs will reduce the supply of illegal drugs and associated criminal offences.

Just because a solution is only better and not perfect doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT also took pride in the fact he needs Viagra to perform.

Given his self-professed swordsmanship skills, he must be partially responsible for Pfizer's profits ...
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Most hardcore porn is legal, even with age restrictions on sale, as is alcohol, as would cannabis be
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    If an election is called on th 7th Oct, then it's no deal anyway as we'll leave during the campaign while Parliament is prorogued.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    If an election is called on th 7th Oct, then it's no deal anyway as we'll leave during the campaign while Parliament is prorogued.
    Suits the Tories fine, they deliver Brexit during the election campaign, comfortably beat Farage and Corbyn as a result then have 5 years with a majority to deal with No Deal and try and get a Deal with the EU
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Suits the Tories fine, they deliver Brexit during the election campaign, comfortably beat Farage and Corbyn as a result then have 5 years with a majority to deal with No Deal
    Is this just trolling or do you honestly think instigating a national crisis a few days before polling day will help the government?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT also took pride in the fact he needs Viagra to perform.

Given his self-professed swordsmanship skills, he must be partially responsible for Pfizer's profits ...
    lol - I did not know he was impotent! Anyone would have thought he was as potent as Casanova or the next Don Juan! Mr Floppy! :smile:
  • Options

It won't completely [just as illegal alcohol and tobacco aren't 100% off the streets] but it will largely, most people will buy it legally just as most people buy their tobacco and alcohol legally.

Reducing the demand of customers for illegal drugs will reduce the supply of illegal drugs and associated criminal offences.

Just because a solution is only better and not perfect doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.

But we're currently in a situation where people openly smoke weed on the streets. There could not be much less severity in the consequences of illegal cannabis use, so why would anyone pay more for the nice fuzzy feeling of being legal? The people who ended up purchasing legal cannabis would be more likely to be new consumers giving it a bash.

I do think there should be a lot more medical use of cannabis, including oil with the psychoactive compounds - I know someone who used this successfully to treat her leukemia and continues to need it to stay healthy. However I am not convinced how blanket legalisation will help. But I'm open to the idea.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

So Sterling is up 0.78% today against the Euro, roughly twice what it fell yesterday. I would obviously link to the BBC headlines about this but, weirdly, they are hard to find.

I suppose you know that the press reports on GBP were related more to the fall on Monday and the fact that it was one of the worst performing currencies YTD rather than the relatively small fall on Tuesday? Currently EURGBP is more or less flat over the last 2 days.
    I suspect the weakness of GBP will be a big issue for people on holiday so entirely reasonable of BBC to report it. You will have £100mn to spaff up the wall on pro Brexit propaganda soon enough, you can't complain about the media reporting a few inconvenient truths in the meantime.

Rather than being so glib, David might do better to zoom out and have a look at the trend over the last week or so.
    I am just pointing out yet another example of our media's obsession with bad news and distortion of the agenda. I do not dispute that the pound has weakened over recent weeks. What is remarkable is how stable it has been (after an initial fall) over the last 2 years. It is roughly within a cent of where it was against the Euro a year ago. And yet we get headlines about "plunges" and "collapse". Its rubbish.

As I mentioned yesterday we have so many real problems to address.
    Which is why the distraction of Brexit is the last thing we need.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    HYUFD said:
    I think this, and everything else going on, is to maximise the possibility of a deal being agreed by parliament, amendments having been forced out of the EU. I don't know if it can work, but my sense is that at least there is some idea of a plan, and that it is being put through ruthlessly. All the alternatives, sadly, are worse, so Good.

A secondary point, many of the public may quietly react well to an impression that we are doing a bit of bullying.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited July 2019

Regarding cannabis legalisation, this article on Canada's experience is interesting: https://spectator.us/canada-failed-smash-cannabis-black-market/

Why would current cannabis users switch to the legal (and taxed) stuff when there is no drawback to continuing to purchase cheaper illegal stuff?

Different matter when it grows wild though. And you literally have thousands of square miles without a single person living there to grow it in.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Suits the Tories fine, they deliver Brexit during the election campaign, comfortably beat Farage and Corbyn as a result then have 5 years with a majority to deal with No Deal
    Is this just trolling or do you honestly think instigating a national crisis a few days before polling day will help the government?
    Instigating Brexit before polling day will help the Government, collapse the Brexit Party back even further while Remainers split between Labour and the LDs.

Cummings again showing he is a tactical genius as he proved in 2016
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Instigating Brexit before polling day will help the Government, collapse the Brexit Party back even further while Remainers split between Labour and the LDs.

Do you think a No Deal Brexit is just something abstract that people will watch on the telly and get a patriotic feel-good factor about?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Remember, they don't believe it will be a national crisis.

So no, it isn't trolling.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited July 2019
    Douglas Murray on ignoring the outcomes of votes because you don’t like the result.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/no-type-of-brexit-is-worse-than-no-brexit-at-all/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

He is not a tactical genius. He's a liar, bully and fool who is unfit to hold public office and has a long track record of failure.

The narrow Leave vote is about the only achievement to his credit.
  • Options

But we're currently in a situation where people openly smoke weed on the streets. There could not be much less severity in the consequences of illegal cannabis use, so why would anyone pay more for the nice fuzzy feeling of being legal? The people who ended up purchasing legal cannabis would be more likely to be new consumers giving it a bash.

I do think there should be a lot more medical use of cannabis, including oil with the psychoactive compounds - I know someone who used this successfully to treat her leukemia and continues to need it to stay healthy. However I am not convinced how blanket legalisation will help. But I'm open to the idea.
    Some people openly smoke weed on the streets, some people openly drink alcohol on the streets too. However the vast majority of people buy their alcohol legally not from criminals.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

He may have been very good at keeping the broad coalition that was VoteLeave coherent and on message. However marketing was hopeless. Convinced it cost Leave serious votes.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Some people openly smoke weed on the streets, some people openly drink alcohol on the streets too. However the vast majority of people buy their alcohol legally not from criminals.
    Where do PBright wingers get theirs?
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

So Sterling is up 0.78% today against the Euro, roughly twice what it fell yesterday. I would obviously link to the BBC headlines about this but, weirdly, they are hard to find.

I suppose you know that the press reports on GBP were related more to the fall on Monday and the fact that it was one of the worst performing currencies YTD rather than the relatively small fall on Tuesday? Currently EURGBP is more or less flat over the last 2 days.
    I suspect the weakness of GBP will be a big issue for people on holiday so entirely reasonable of BBC to report it. You will have £100mn to spaff up the wall on pro Brexit propaganda soon enough, you can't complain about the media reporting a few inconvenient truths in the meantime.

Rather than being so glib, David might do better to zoom out and have a look at the trend over the last week or so.
    The trend is weak but it's all about uncertainty. The whole Brexit thing needs resolution and at this point either way would probably settle things down.
    Nope. Even a no deal exit in November is just the start not the end, there will be more discussions with Eu in no deal exit, more chaos trying to get things through commons, just as much division in UK between those pushing global Britain and those EU membership (who will win in the end through weight of numbers) all the while UK goes to rats through this fixation and taking eye off everything else!
  • Options

Depending on how you define Tesco.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Most hardcore porn is legal, even with age restrictions on sale, as is alcohol, as would cannabis be
    The difference is people will have to buy an age certification ID to look at porn if the current policy is ever implemented. Take it from me, Kids will always find hardcore porn: I remember going around to a house one evening with a group of lads and watching hardcore porn videos with animals and women in them 25 years plus ago! I did not obtain the video or even know they had one until I was watching it and I did not particularly enjoy watching it but it was an eye opener! Animals don't do it for me!

Drugs, Porn, Alcohol, you name it! All of it is unfortunately available to kids. I wonder what planet some of the people who propose these bright ideas of banning things or legalising things live on? They don't live in the real world IMO.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,755
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

How?

Pause.

How??

How does that happen????

Did he not practice as an adolescent? Did he wake up in his fifties, decided to rehearse some sex but twisted when he should have shouted and fractured Little Boris? What the hell did he tell them in A&E? What did they say back to him? "Hey, Lorretta, we have another "accident", get the dick splint and the corkscrew!"

Oh, Gaaaahd... :(
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You could almost say it was poetic justice?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The difference is people will have to buy an age certification ID to look at porn if the current policy is ever implemented. Take it from me, Kids will always find hardcore porn: I remember going around to a house one evening with a group of lads and watching hardcore porn videos with animals and women in them 25 years plus ago! I did not obtain the video or even know they had one until I was watching it and I did not particularly enjoy watching it but it was an eye opener! Animals don't do it for me! Drugs, Porn, Alcohol, you name it! All of it is available to kids. I wonder what planet some of the people who propose these bright ideas of banning things live on?
    Nobody wants to hear this.
    Can we get back to ridiculing HYUFD’s distortion of sub-samples?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The difference is people will have to buy an age certification ID to look at porn if the current policy is ever implemented. Take it from me, Kids will always find hardcore porn: I remember going around to a house one evening with a group of lads and watching hardcore porn videos with animals and women in them 25 years plus ago! I did not obtain the video or even know they had one until I was watching it and I did not particularly enjoy watching it but it was an eye opener! Animals don't do it for me! Drugs, Porn, Alcohol, you name it! All of it is available to kids. I wonder what planet some of the people who propose these bright ideas of banning things live on?
    Nobody wants to hear this.
    Can we get back to ridiculing HYUFD’s distortion of sub-samples?
    Urgh, now that really is a perverse prediliction.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Yes, but the history of alcohol becoming part of our lifestyles in a legal fashion has evolved over centuries and has involved huge crackdowns on unlicensed and untaxed brewing and distilling operations.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Scott_P said:
    I thought he had been deselected by the Tories? So he has nothing to lose. If the Lib Dems win the by-election tomorrow then his defection would be hugely symbolic as I think it would mean no majority in the H of C for the Tories depending on how you measure these things i.e. Tories + Dup = Maj at the moment. Shame that the MP for Sheffield Hallam does not quit until September, although, even if he did I suspect the House has to be sitting for them to move the writ for the by-election?
    A motion of no confidence was passed by Mr Lee's local association. That doesn't automatically mean deselection, although it's not a good sign for him at all.

I would have thought one or two potential defectors are biding their time until the honeymoon is over and also, as you say, because a Lib Dem win in B&R would mean a defection would wipe out the majority and be more newsworthy.

On O'Mara, Parliament doesn't have to be sitting for him to resign as MP (although he hasn't yet, presumably for financial reasons) but it does for the writ to be moved for the subsequent by-election.
    The B&R by election in reality would reduce the Government's majority to three. If Charlie Elphicke - who recently had the Tory Whip withdrawn again - is counted as an Independent sitting with the Opposition, the majority would be just one - but he is not politically disaffected and unlikely to rebel.
  • Options
    This thread is officially more moribund than UKIP.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Says a lot about his judgement if he is quitting just as the Con fortunes turn.
    What loyalty has he got to the Tories if he has already been deselected? If he thinks the Tories are on the wrong track (no deal Brexit), that he is unconvinced by the Johnson leadership and he has the power to sink his administration. From his point of view as a deselected Tory MP you would press the nuclear button even if it destroyed your career in public life. Sometimes you have to put national interest above self-interest...
    He has not been deselected.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Letts is a poncy jessie boy
This discussion has been closed.