Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A week on from Johnson being called to the Palace and so far s

Comments

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1156569317292609536

Can't for the life of me see why it has gone so wrong for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour.

CON up again? at the heady heights of 32%? someone pass the smelling salts...
    Con/TBP vote share has been fixed at 45% for some while. It gets interesting when Boris has to decided which segment he has to disappoint, assuming the choice isn't made for him.

The game-changer would be the Tories beginning to eat into the non-Brexit vote. That's when they can start getting confident about an election victory.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    This is the sort of case that makes me so happy

When Ozzy the runaway bull broke through a fence and impregnated their pedigree Highland cow, a pair of Scottish crofters tried to take the matter by the horns and sued their neighbours for £20,000.

Yesterday, however, a Scottish court ruled that Kathleen and Bernard Allen were not entitled to compensation from David Hargreaves and his wife Janine, formerly of Kirkibost, Great Bernera, Lewis, and that the real issue was a boundary dispute.

The Allens told Stornoway sheriff court that a poorly maintained boundary fence was the responsibility of the Hargreaves, whose Belted Galloway bull was repeatedly encroaching on their land, forcing them to build an 8ft deer fence to keep him out.

Ozzy was gored by one of the Allens’ bulls when he broke through the fence and also impregnated a cow, fathering a Belted Galloway-Highland cow crossbreed.

The Allens said that this “compromised the pedigree” of their herd. The compensation claim also included the cost of the extra feed required by the Allens when they were forced to pen their cows to keep them away from Ozzy, and the cost involved in transporting them to other crofts.

In his ruling, Sheriff David Sutherland said that “while the case was one of damages for damage caused by a bull on the pursuers’ property, the real nature of the claim was a neighbour dispute”.

He drew on a previous ruling by the Scottish land court, which deemed that the Allens were responsible for the boundary fence.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/crofters-at-war-over-frisky-bull-who-had-his-way-with-prize-cow-vnwffgcjw
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2019
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    eek said:

+1 what on earth were they stockpiling for it to have no value afterwards.

It doesn't say the stock was worthless, it says the stockpiling effort was wasted
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    edited July 2019

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Dadge said:

Scott_P said:
    Here's the expectation management.

But LDs will still win comfortably.
    No, I think that’s an accurate call of the activists’ mood. It is very difficult to call, and delivering/canvassing takes hugely longer there, with a good slice of the electorate impractical to reach at all.
    In many ways that doesn't matter. B&R has a strong Lib Dem history so there will be good canvass data for the towns and villages. You do the switch analysis on that, and it's a good predictor as long as you have a decent sample.

But the activists won't be given this as it causes either complacency or despondency. The campaign tries to create a "too close to call" atmosphere regardless of whether it really is, so hardly surprising Lewis Goodall finds people "nervous". No activist asks for their money back if the "toss up" turns out to be a strong win.
    Yes. Nevertheless I have been to campaigns where the atmosphere is such that it’s obvious to an experienced campaigner that a big win is in prospect, whatever the HQ is saying.

The LDs have the advantage that their data is likely to be more reliable, although they have probably lost some leavers and will need to target the Labour vote as well. One disadvantage the Tories have is that there will have been a lot more churn in their support, taking in leavers from the opposition parties, shedding remainers to the LDs and a lot of traffic between them and UKIP/BXP. The historical data the Tories have as incumbents will be of dubious value.
    Honestly, what result are you expecting?
    Honestly, this one is very hard to call. I spent three days but only in the north of the constituency, which is unlikely to be representative. And probably about a quarter of the voters are beyond effective reach in isolated properties. There was a lot of disillusion and apathy, and a lot of leaveiness but also a good degree of support for the LibDems. I think it’ll be close and my instinct is a narrow LibDem win, but I wouldn’t bet the bank on it.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    "Boris Johnson is fighting an undeclared election"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e88c0da8-b3a9-11e9-9df9-ac98825b867a

Labour members, read the runes and see what is going to befall your party at next GE:

twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1156595970504876032

Doesn't look like JezFest will be back next year.....
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    RobD said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think that's how business works.

The only thing I can think of is perishables like food.
    Theatre tickets?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:
    The British press going after Meghan Markle is the least surprising thing that has ever happened.
    Well her head does seem to be full of the most trite woke nonsense.
    Except that it was Harry of course. But, he's a proper Royal, and a veteran, so obviously his wife must be mysteriously controlling him and his views. Cos they couldn't be his.
    I'm not sure his share price is on the rise either.

• glwglw Posts: 9,535
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think that's how business works.

Brexit-day T-Shirts?
    Just making sure Archer is fit for the rest of the series, Edgbaston is England's spiritual home and we'd win even if I was opening the bowling for England tomorrow.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

DavidL said:

So Sterling is up 0.78% today against the Euro, roughly twice what it fell yesterday. I would obviously link to the BBC headlines about this but, weirdly, they are hard to find.

I suppose you know that the press reports on GBP were related more to the fall on Monday and the fact that it was one of the worst performing currencies YTD rather than the relatively small fall on Tuesday? Currently EURGBP is more or less flat over the last 2 days.
    I suspect the weakness of GBP will be a big issue for people on holiday so entirely reasonable of BBC to report it. You will have £100mn to spaff up the wall on pro Brexit propaganda soon enough, you can't complain about the media reporting a few inconvenient truths in the meantime.

Rather than being so glib, David might do better to zoom out and have a look at the trend over the last week or so.
    TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:
    The British press going after Meghan Markle is the least surprising thing that has ever happened.
    Except that it was Harry of course. But, he's a proper Royal, and a veteran, so obviously his wife must be mysteriously controlling him and his views. Cos they couldn't be his.

You're gonna get chucked out of the Sevco Supporters Club if you continue to come out with this anti monarchy stuff.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_P said:
    Who knew Boris was socially liberal? :o

Boris is "doing things". After 3 years of May doing nothing it seems novel.

Having a plan and doing stuff is attractive to the voters though. It smacks of well... leadership.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

Labour members, read the runes and see what is going to befall your party at next GE:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1156595970504876032

'No, Jeremy Corbyn' grandparents and grandchildren now united in seeing Corbyn as not up to the job, whereas in 2017 the latter were big Corbyn fans
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

So Sterling is up 0.78% today against the Euro, roughly twice what it fell yesterday. I would obviously link to the BBC headlines about this but, weirdly, they are hard to find.

I suppose you know that the press reports on GBP were related more to the fall on Monday and the fact that it was one of the worst performing currencies YTD rather than the relatively small fall on Tuesday? Currently EURGBP is more or less flat over the last 2 days.
    I suspect the weakness of GBP will be a big issue for people on holiday so entirely reasonable of BBC to report it. You will have £100mn to spaff up the wall on pro Brexit propaganda soon enough, you can't complain about the media reporting a few inconvenient truths in the meantime.

Rather than being so glib, David might do better to zoom out and have a look at the trend over the last week or so.
    Yep - cable is still down 2.5% since last Thursday.
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    He's hoping we're all so high that we don't notice the disaster of sustained No Deal.

Especially now that the Yanks have closed down the possibility of a trade deal if Brexit imperils the Belfast Agreement.
    Scott_P said:

eek said:

It doesn't say the stock was worthless, it says the stockpiling effort was wasted
    No it says

Just spoke to a business that spent over £1m on stockpiling ahead of 31 March in case of No Deal.
    All wasted.

That can be read in 2 ways but to me it reads that the £1m was wasted which means either the purchased stock wasn't used or they spent £1m on warehousing costs..

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

You're gonna get chucked out of the Sevco Supporters Club if you continue to come out with this anti monarchy stuff.
    Oh do keep up we leave the monoculture stuff to the other mob.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/club/rangers-launch-new-diversity-inclusion-campaign/

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited July 2019
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Royal family now appeals to all viewpoints, from the Brexit Party and Tories with the Queen and Prince Philip, to Greens with Prince Charles and left liberal wokes with Meghan and now it seems Harry too.

Wills and Kate meanwhile can just stand above it all and adjust to the mood of the day

William and Kate are vacuous centrists?

Not sure that's fair.

William is a One Nation Conservative, I sense. Doubt you could put a cigarette paper between him and Chris Leslie.

As for Kate, appearances can deceive. She could well be a Bennite of the old school Left.
    William is a centrist, mildly pro Remain Tory toff, Kate is New Labour or Cameroon, Harry was a right-wing English nationalist Meghan is trying to turn into a LD, Green right on left liberal line and it seems succeeding. Charles is a Tory wet, Green with a mild dash of anti American, anti big business, organic Corbynism, Camilla is probably a Boris fan.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I am just pointing out yet another example of our media's obsession with bad news and distortion of the agenda. I do not dispute that the pound has weakened over recent weeks. What is remarkable is how stable it has been (after an initial fall) over the last 2 years. It is roughly within a cent of where it was against the Euro a year ago. And yet we get headlines about "plunges" and "collapse". Its rubbish.

As I mentioned yesterday we have so many real problems to address.
    TGOHF said:

Having a plan and doing stuff is attractive to the voters though. It smacks of well... leadership.
    But does it smell of.....victory?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    IanB2 said:

Or more usefully, the trend over the last 15 months. Seems like an eternity ago, but we'd actually recovered the entirety of the post-referendum drop, back up to almost 1.44 at one point. That was when a deal was looking likely.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I thought he had been deselected by the Tories? So he has nothing to lose. If the Lib Dems win the by-election tomorrow then his defection would be hugely symbolic as I think it would mean no majority in the H of C for the Tories depending on how you measure these things i.e. Tories + Dup = Maj at the moment. Shame that the MP for Sheffield Hallam does not quit until September, although, even if he did I suspect the House has to be sitting for them to move the writ for the by-election?

Scott_P said:
    I thought he had been deselected by the Tories? So he has nothing to lose. If the Lib Dems win the by-election tomorrow then his defection would be hugely symbolic as I think it would mean no majority in the H of C for the Tories depending on how you measure these things i.e. Tories + Dup = Maj at the moment. Shame that the MP for Sheffield Hallam does not quit until September, although, even if he did I suspect the House has to be sitting for them to move the writ for the by-election?
    Says a lot about his judgement if he is quitting just as the Con fortunes turn.
    Andrew said:

IanB2 said:

Or more usefully, the trend over the last 15 months. Seems like an eternity ago, but we'd actually recovered the entirety of the post-referendum drop, back up to almost 1.44 at one point. That was when a deal was looking likely.
    Look at the 5 year chart: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cx250jmk4e7t/pound-sterling-gbp

After the immediate fall after the referendum we have been in a band of 1.20 to 1.10 ever since. We briefly dropped out of that yesterday. Was it significant? Doubtful.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    I am not surprised
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Parking his tanks on Jezza's lawn again. It is nailed on Labour will support some sort of reform, I would guess the "medical" approached used by lots of US states as a half way house.

Unlike middle class coke users, not sure pot smokers are quite so good at getting to the polling station though.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    TGOHF said:

No he isn't. So far all he's done is talk, not very coherently, about what he might consider doing.
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The Royal family now appeals to all viewpoints, from the Brexit Party and Tories with the Queen and Prince Philip, to Greens with Prince Charles and left liberal wokes with Meghan and now it seems Harry too.

Wills and Kate meanwhile can just stand above it all and adjust to the mood of the day

William and Kate are vacuous centrists?

Not sure that's fair.

William is a One Nation Conservative, I sense. Doubt you could put a cigarette paper between him and Chris Leslie.

As for Kate, appearances can deceive. She could well be a Bennite of the old school Left.
    William is a centrist, mildly pro Remain Tory toff, Kate is New Labour or Cameroon, Harry was a right-wing English nationalist Meghan is trying to turn into a LD, Green right on left liberal line and it seems succeeding. Charles is a Tory wet, Green with a mild dash of anti American, anti big business, organic Corbynism, Camilla is probably a Boris fan.
    I seem to remember someone (newspaper article) saying that Prince William would have voted for the referendum party in 1997 if he had the vote. He discussed it with someone; it might have even been his late mother. If it was her, I am not surprised it ended up in the media!
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

No he isn't. So far all he's done is talk, not very coherently, about what he might consider doing.
    Even talking about doing things is an improvement on May.

She told us nothing had changed nor would it change.

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    I am not surprised
    It is long overdue. The resources wasted on drug prohibition are vast and could be better spent.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,546

When Ozzy the runaway bull broke through a fence and impregnated their pedigree Highland cow, a pair of Scottish crofters tried to take the matter by the horns and sued their neighbours for £20,000.

Yesterday, however, a Scottish court ruled that Kathleen and Bernard Allen were not entitled to compensation from David Hargreaves and his wife Janine, formerly of Kirkibost, Great Bernera, Lewis, and that the real issue was a boundary dispute.

The Allens told Stornoway sheriff court that a poorly maintained boundary fence was the responsibility of the Hargreaves, whose Belted Galloway bull was repeatedly encroaching on their land, forcing them to build an 8ft deer fence to keep him out.

Ozzy was gored by one of the Allens’ bulls when he broke through the fence and also impregnated a cow, fathering a Belted Galloway-Highland cow crossbreed.

The Allens said that this “compromised the pedigree” of their herd. The compensation claim also included the cost of the extra feed required by the Allens when they were forced to pen their cows to keep them away from Ozzy, and the cost involved in transporting them to other crofts.

In his ruling, Sheriff David Sutherland said that “while the case was one of damages for damage caused by a bull on the pursuers’ property, the real nature of the claim was a neighbour dispute”.

He drew on a previous ruling by the Scottish land court, which deemed that the Allens were responsible for the boundary fence.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/crofters-at-war-over-frisky-bull-who-had-his-way-with-prize-cow-vnwffgcjw

Neighbour disputes can turn really nasty. Farming neighbour disputes can be really, really nasty, with feuds lasting for generations. Disputes in farming families can be unutterably sad, and effect generations.
    TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

To be fair she also told us that Brexit meant Brexit. Until it didn't of course.
    I am shocked that a Leaver would lie like this

https://twitter.com/daniel_sugarman/status/1156512788866568193?s=21
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:
    Harry is nice - but dim and he is besotted by his wife. Pretty clear who's in charge there. The monarchy lives and dies by pretty strict adherence to impartiality and keeping out of politics.
  • Scott_P said:
    A motion of no confidence was passed by Mr Lee's local association. That doesn't automatically mean deselection, although it's not a good sign for him at all.

I would have thought one or two potential defectors are biding their time until the honeymoon is over and also, as you say, because a Lib Dem win in B&R would mean a defection would wipe out the majority and be more newsworthy.

On O'Mara, Parliament doesn't have to be sitting for him to resign as MP (although he hasn't yet, presumably for financial reasons) but it does for the writ to be moved for the subsequent by-election.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Scott_P said:
    It was manic in the lead up to March. One factory I work with had stock piled up in the production area at one point. But once it is cancelled once, why won't it be cancelled again? And again.....
    eek said:

That can be read in 2 ways but to me it reads that the £1m was wasted which means either the purchased stock wasn't used or they spent £1m on warehousing costs..

So the stockpiling effort was wasted, not the stock
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

The trend is weak but it's all about uncertainty. The whole Brexit thing needs resolution and at this point either way would probably settle things down.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2019
    timmo said:

If 10000 people signed a recall.petition at least 10000 are going to vote against the Tory...hard to see how he wins

The Guardian article yesterday reported:

“I know people who voted to have him [Davies] deselected and now have his poster up in their window. For people who voted to come out, it is better to have someone who is for Brexit in there,”

It was manic in the lead up to March. One factory I work with had stock piled up in the production area at one point. But once it is cancelled once, why won't it be cancelled again? And again.....

Exactly.

Especially when the PM says the chances of needing it are a million to one...
    TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

In case you hadn't noticed, she was right. Johnson has exactly the same options she did. He just hasn't decided which one to follow.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,841

Scott_P said:
    Parking his tanks on Jezza's lawn again. It is nailed on Labour will support some sort of reform, I would guess the "medical" approached used by lots of US states as a half way house.

Unlike middle class coke users, not sure pot smokers are quite so good at getting to the polling station though.
    The YouGov poll yesterday. Boris is floating a series of trial balloons and seeing which ones are popped, and which could be vote winners.
    We have 3 years of pent up demand for normal, everyday politics. Whether he can get any of this stuff through is another matter. As is whether it distracts from Brexit.

It seems some people on twitter are more upset by the suggestion that Slough is part of London...

Scott_P said:
    Fool me once - shame on you.
    Fool me twice - shame on me.

Equally I could use the child that screamed wolf...

Very foolish of her to have been so specific.

Neighbour disputes can turn really nasty. Farming neighbour disputes can be really, really nasty, with feuds lasting for generations. Disputes in farming families can be unutterably sad, and effect generations.
    The Hatfields and McCoys started over a pig.
  • felix said:

dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:
    Harry is nice - but dim and he is besotted by his wife. Pretty clear who's in charge there. The monarchy lives and dies by pretty strict adherence to impartiality and keeping out of politics.
    Part of the problem with the extended Royal Family is it makes discipline on this harder. Personally, I think the Royal Family should prune itself more rigorously in terms of who has a formal role, an extensive office and so on.

With the monarch and likely successors, there is sense in saying that they need to maintain strict impartiality as they may be called upon to exercise a consitutional role. With Harry? He's 6th in line and only dropping from there - realistically, the possibility of his becoming King one day disappeared when William and Kate had kids, so why bind him to behaving as if he might one day be King?
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    What loyalty has he got to the Tories if he has already been deselected? If he thinks the Tories are on the wrong track (no deal Brexit), that he is unconvinced by the Johnson leadership and he has the power to sink his administration. From his point of view as a deselected Tory MP you would press the nuclear button even if it destroyed your career in public life. Sometimes you have to put national interest above self-interest...
    dixiedean said:

The YouGov poll yesterday. Boris is floating a series of trial balloons and seeing which ones are popped, and which could be vote winners.
    We have 3 years of pent up demand for normal, everyday politics. Whether he can get any of this stuff through is another matter. As is whether it distracts from Brexit.

Except every single balloon has a multi-million pound price tag attached.

Whether any of them work or not, he is pissing away the Tory reputation for fiscal responsibility
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

There must be little doubt this is a domestic policy blitz to be put into a manifesto for an election, that surely must come within the next 6 months
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    What loyalty has he got to the Tories if he has already been deselected? If he thinks the Tories are on the wrong track (no deal Brexit), that he is unconvinced by the Johnson leadership and he has the power to sink his administration. From his point of view as a deselected Tory MP you would press the nuclear button even if it destroyed your career in public life. Sometimes you have to put national interest above self-interest...
    Shame he isn't then.

It seems some people on twitter are more upset by the suggestion that Slough is part of London...
    I sympathise, there's wrong people who say Middlesbrough is part of Yorkshire.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

But does it smell of.....victory?
    If Alexander Johnson can not get a majority against Jeremy Corbyn ,he would certainly be crap.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

And was right, as several people had noted. If Boris does get something from the EU it will show perhaps she was wrong, if he fails then it reinforces that she was right.
    Scott_P said:

dixiedean said:

Whether any of them work or not, he is pissing away the Tory reputation for fiscal responsibility
    Decriminalisation of cannabis could be a nice little earner, though.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

felix said:

dixiedean said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:
    With the monarch and likely successors, there is sense in saying that they need to maintain strict impartiality as they may be called upon to exercise a consitutional role. With Harry? He's 6th in line and only dropping from there - realistically, the possibility of his becoming King one day disappeared when William and Kate had kids, so why bind him to behaving as if he might one day be King?
    Seems a reasonable point. They obviously hate the restrictions, so if they are well down the line remove those, and any spending from the public purse as well, people will be happier all around.

Only Berks would think that.

Scott_P said:
    A motion of no confidence was passed by Mr Lee's local association. That doesn't automatically mean deselection, although it's not a good sign for him at all.

I would have thought one or two potential defectors are biding their time until the honeymoon is over and also, as you say, because a Lib Dem win in B&R would mean a defection would wipe out the majority and be more newsworthy.

On O'Mara, Parliament doesn't have to be sitting for him to resign as MP (although he hasn't yet, presumably for financial reasons) but it does for the writ to be moved for the subsequent by-election.
    Thanks for the clarification. Interesting times!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,857
    HYUFD said:

Hats off. That really does read as if you are a footman at the palace and know exactly what you're talking about.
    edited July 2019

It's south of the Tees so it is in Yorkshire. Of course it's no longer in the county of North Yorkshire but it is in the North Riding of Yorkshire as is Yarm and Redcar..
    Do I detect a certain waning of the enthusiasm for Corbyn among those posters who are true believers?
    eek said:

It's south of the Tees so it is in Yorkshire. Of course it's no longer in the county of North Yorkshire but it is in the North Riding of Yorkshire as is Yarm and Redcar..
    The Smoggies are plastic Geordies. FACT.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    eek said:

My Dad's from Middlesbrough and he react very badly to someone telling him he wasn't a proper Yorkshireman.
    This isn't really news, is it? I mean, a man who helps Paul Eisen is hardly going to blench at such an affair as this.

Equally, since we already know he does such things it is already factored in to people's views of him.

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

There must be little doubt this is a domestic policy blitz to be put into a manifesto for an election, that surely must come within the next 6 months
    Some of it, yes. Not sure legalising dope and spending like there's no tomorrow was what the Tory membership was expecting, mind.
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

Some of it, yes. Not sure legalising dope and spending like there's no tomorrow was what the Tory membership was expecting, mind.
    Given they must have been on dope when they voted for the blonde-haired philanderer, I would have thought they would welcome it!
    Anorak said:

eek said:

My Dad's from Middlesbrough and he react very badly to someone telling him he wasn't a proper Yorkshireman.
    He's from Cleveland, not Yorkshire.

Anorak said:

eek said:

Surely that depends on when he was born - Cleveland didn't exist until 1968..
    Scott_P said:
    Balloon floated. Balloon popped. On to the next one...
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,461
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

dixiedean said:

Would be a decent earner just from the entrants to the Tory leadership contest.

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Why? Are you being cut in half by his argument over Cleve-land?
    eek said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Surely that depends on when he was born - Cleveland didn't exist until 1968..
    I am the only authority on what constitutes a true Yorkshire person.

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

dixiedean said:

Would be a decent earner just from the entrants to the Tory leadership contest.
    We could have the modern equivalent of the opium wars to for the right to sell weed to the EU.
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    edited July 2019

Anorak said:

eek said:

He's from Yorkshire. There's no such thing as Cleveland (even when there was)

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_counties_of_England
    ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Yellow card. That was bad even for you.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    glw said:

And yet she still supports Corbyn as I heard her confirm just this morning.
    Surely that's the meaning of broad church, that the left doesn't flounce off when the centrists are in power and the centrists don't flounce when the left are in power.
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Best thing Ted Heath did (apart from taking us into the EC) was creating Cleveland, thus taking Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire.
    Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    I've red your comment and will consider it.

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Best thing Ted Heath did (apart from taking us into the EC) was creating Cleveland, thus taking Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire.
    If you think Boro is bad have you been to the mighty Redcar.

Think of a poorer Blackpool without horizontal piers
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    ydoethur said:

This isn't really news, is it? I mean, a man who helps Paul Eisen is hardly going to blench at such an affair as this.

Equally, since we already know he does such things it is already factored in to people's views of him.
    The endlessness, the relentlessness, the very repetitiousness of these attacks, is what kills Corbyn, tho. He’s like a batsman constantly on the back foot facing brilliant fast bowling. He can’t build a score, he can’t regain his confidence, because he is always desperately defending his wicket and occasionally getting dropped in the slips.

Eventually - to extend the metaphor recklessly - he will get frustrated and try and bash one over the bowler’s head. And he will get caught.
    ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Mods!
    eek said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.

Redcar used to be regarded as a nice day from Middlesbrough. Some nice sea air and some fish and chips away from the ICI facotories.
    Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Mods!
    Clearly you are feeling blue about my awesome punning.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Whatever happened to Lord Trimble's legal challenge that the backstop violated the Good Friday Agreement? I can't find any outcome to it.
    Scott_P said:
    This is not so much balloon flying but dog whistling IMO! I noticed that the strategist (Lynton-Crosby) has not publicly parted company from Johnson or the Tories. Maybe he is feeding a strategy for Johnson to maximise Tory votes including the libertarian right? Personally, I think legalising drugs is a retrograde step.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,588
    Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

The endlessness, the relentlessness, the very repetitiousness of these attacks, is what kills Corbyn, tho. He’s like a batsman constantly on the back foot facing brilliant fast bowling. He can’t build a score, he can’t regain his confidence, because he is always desperately defending his wicket and occasionally getting dropped in the slips.

Eventually - to extend the metaphor recklessly - he will get frustrated and try and bash one over the bowler’s head. And he will get caught.
    Never do cricket metaphors.
    Your talents lie elsewhere.
    Anorak said:

eek said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.

Redcar used to be regarded as a nice day from Middlesbrough. Some nice sea air and some fish and chips away from the ICI facotories.
    I actually like the place and will probably head there on Saturday afternoon if the weather is half decent. There is even a decent bar at the bottom of the Vertical pier and a few decent ice cream / coffee shops
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

You have to admit it was a bowled attempt though.
    ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Mods!
    Green with envy, perhaps.
    Or jaundiced yellow.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    ydoethur said:

Do I detect a certain waning of the enthusiasm for Corbyn among those posters who are true believers?

Not on my part.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Someone hold my coat.
    Mods!
    Green with envy, perhaps.
    Or jaundiced yellow.
    Well, I am in a purple patch tonight.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

ydoethur said:

Yep, I’m stumped.
    It's wicket of you to leave me with no follow up.
This discussion has been closed.